The Due South Fiction Archive Comments

Comments on The Reaching Out One

Number of comments: 10

(post new comment)
From: iadorespike
Date: 04/26/2013
Lovely story...just lovely. Dief's death, and the aftermath for Fraser, was just heartbreaking. I cried and cried as I read, I'm sorry to say. Still, he had a good, long life. The worst thing was Fraser - his pain and loneliness. And then Ray's realization that the wolf would never get intimate with his ear again. Yeah. I spent a lot of time crying. I'm just glad that the boys finally came around to what others had been (apparently!) seeing for years. Maybe it had to be this way to get to where they are at the end. I don't know, but I'm glad that the waiting is finally over and I'm glad that they're not going to chance losing any more time. I can't help but think that Dief would have happily celebrated with them, but they'll see him again.

Thanks so much!

From: dsfan
Date: 02/13/2013
I want to punch Fraser for thinking so badly about RayV. Poor RayV is ALWAYS being assumed to be homophobic, hating Fraser for being gay, etc., and not even Fraser thinks the best about him! If I were RayV, I'd be very upset for Fraser for thinking of me that way, and I'd expect a BIG apology, but, fortunately, your RayV is very understanding and sweet and wanting to be Fraser's best man.

I'd like to see Fraser do everything he can to make it up to RayV for thinking that he would react as a homophobe. RayV is really a much better person than Fraser thinks, and he probably deserves a best friend who's better to him than Fraser, but of course he still loves Fraser even though Fraser acted like an idiot, so I hope all will be well. Kowalski needs to be mature and let Fraser still have his friendship with RayV - and show RayV some respect and call him "Ray" and not Vecchio.


From: kuonji
Date: 06/26/2011
This is absolutely beautiful. Slow and detailed and so incredibly real. The research definitely shows. I liked how the stories and the historical sites and the interaction with the locals were never random throwaway things but actually worked to move the story forward. Fraser and Ray's slow realization comes amid maturity and familiarity. Loved it all the way through.

P.S. I have always wanted to read a story about Dief's death of old age. I have always wanted to read a story about Fraser and Ray older. I love first times and Fraser and Ray in Canada and sled dogs. It was like you wrote this for me! :)

From: plotbunniofdoom
Date: 09/22/2009
I really enjoyed this story. So well written with such a satisfying conclusion.

Loved this. :)

From: GenteelRebel
Date: 05/10/2009
I really enjoyed this. I didn't think I was going to, because I love Deif so dearly...but it's such a beautiful, down to earth, gently humorous story that I couldn't resist falling in love with it. I will make this one of my rainy day stories that I read to cheer myself up. Thanks so much for sharing your talent!

From: Lucifuge5
Date: 02/14/2009
What a fantastic story!

I really enjoyed reading about Fraser and RayK's slow acknowledgment that they were (for all intent and purposes)pretty much married.

Dief's passing hurt because, like Fraser, I'm a dog lover at heart. It was comforting to see RayK as well as everyone try to ease the pain in Fraser's heart at the loss of one of his best friends.

I loved the alternative Quest and all the new dimensions that were brought out between F/K as they fished and visited abandoned towns.

Also, thank you for bringing levity into the fic as it winded down to a close with the addition of Regina to newly engaged Fraser's life. Reading about RayK's various reactions and quips about the nervous doggie( "Man, that is one weird dog." ) had me in stitches. *g*

Finally, I really liked how everyone kinda went 'pshaw' whenever RayK or Fraser announced their engagement. Maggie's reaction was a bit odd, but then, her sisterly bond to Fraser wasn't a particularly close one.

Thank you for such an awesome story!

From: Yossarian
Date: 12/28/2008
Wow. What an epic story, and obviously a labor of love. About half way through, I looked at the clock and it was past midnight, but I knew I wouldn't be able to stop until I was finished. Worth every minute. Thank you so much for writing this story! :)

From: Zebra
Date: 09/14/2008
I haven't enjoyed a long DS story so much for years. My reading time is limited right now, so I had to ration it over about a week, and I looked forward every day to being able to spend a little more time with the story in the evening! I really love the idea of Ray and Fraser planning and taking all those vacations together, year after year. Thanks for a great read.
From: Vicki
Date: 05/16/2008
Wow great story so sad about Dief made me cry. I was so glad they found happnies. I hope you do a follow to this with more happy stuff and no sad stuff this time please.
From: Savannah Heath
Date: 05/15/2008
I loved this. It sounds so much like them. Dief's death was very moving. I wish you'd do a sequel covering the wedding and life with the new dog. Thanks for a great read on a rainy afternoon.
(post new comment)