The Due South Fiction Archive Entry

 

Watching Your Step 10


by
Vicki Tub

Disclaimer: They are still not mine just minding them. I will hand them back.

Author's Notes: Enjoy it i hope. Feel Free to review

Story Notes: Male/Male Relationship

SequelTo: Watching Your Step 9


Chapter 10

Fraser and Ray had enjoyed a lovely supper and were now cuddled up on the couch together.

Ray had his hand intertwined with Fraser's and his head resting on his shoulder, "Ben can I ask you, who was that guy that know who works with the Cub's"?

Rubbing the back of Ray's hand with his thumb as he spoke, "Ray as you might have guessed it's the manager Jim".

Ray gave out a short laugh, "Ya I kind a got that. The way Jim was hugging you. How did you come to know him"?

Fraser continued to rub Ray's hand, "It's a rather long story Ray. Are you sure you want to hear it"?

Ray nudged Fraser, "I'd be worried if it wasn't along story coming from you Ben. Bet it involves the Inuit".

Fraser laughed, "No Ray, no Inuit".

Ray put his hand to his chest and in a mocked voice, "I'm shocked Ben, Shocked I tell you".

Fraser giggled out, "Ray stay quiet and I might just tell you".

Ray tried to keep from laughing, "Ben ok I'll be good. So tell me your long story".

Fraser squeezed Ray's hand, "Very well Ray. I met Jim and his family a few years ago in Canada. They came through my village. I don't know why they were that far north but a huge snow storm hit while they were there. Luckily I was in my cabin when they passed by. I saw them out my window and brought them in. they were frozen tired and hungry. I managed to get them warmed up and fed. Callie their little girl was hysterical. Their dog got frightened and ran off into the storm. Ray she was so upset. So I made sure they knew where everything was and how to everything worked. I put a pack together and went to see if I could find their dog. I found the dog just in time. The poor little dog was near frozen. Once back at the cabin warmed up and fed he was fine. Callie was so happy to have him back".

Ray pulled back and looked Fraser in the face, "Ben you went out into a snow storm to find a dog. Are you nuts? Just how cold was it"?

Fraser's face was serious, "Ray of course I did. The poor little thing was frightened and almost frozen. Callie the poor little girl was so upset Ray. It was only around 50 below. I was properly dressed I assure you".

Ray scratched his head, "Ben 50 below is pretty dam cold. So were they ok after that"?

Fraser cuddled back into Ray, "Yes Ray they were fine. They stayed for a few days until the storm passed. It was lucky I had just stocked up, so I had plenty of food in. The children had a great time playing with Diefenbaker and singing playing my guitar. I was actually sad to see them leave. We kept in touch over the years. Ray when I first got posted in Chicago more so. It was lovely to see how the children had grown".

Ray was really impressed, "Ben you really are something special aren't ya. Ben how come you never said you knew Jim. It's kind of useful information for a Cub's fan. Hello all those times I wanted and couldn't get tickets, you had connections and kept quiet".

Fraser kissed Ray's hand, "Ray you know I'd never use someone like that. I got you those tickets because I felt I really wanted to cheer you up. This is something I knew you'd love".

Ray took Fraser's face in his hands and kissed him soundly, "God Ben I love you so, so much".

Fraser gazed into Ray's loving eyes, "I love you to Ray. I can't get enough of saying it"

Ray smiled a big bright smile, "I can't get enough of hearing Ben".

Over breakfast a few weeks later, "Ben what are you doing tonight"?

Fraser looked up from his oatmeal, "Noting Ray, why"?

Tay put a mouthful of cereal in his mouth, "You wanna go on a date"?

Fraser sat back, "A date Ray, a real date Ray".

Ray was taking with his mouth full, "Ya Ben a real date. So do you want to Ben"?

Fraser smiled a new smile, "I'd love to go on a date with you Ray. What do you have in mind"?

Waving his hands, "Oh dinner, dancing, well what dancing I can do in my cast. So what do you think"?

Fraser got up and kissed Ray, "I think that's a fine idea Ray, I can't wait".

Ray spent the day half relaxing the other half organising their date for tonight.

Fraser sat at his desk trying to work hard, but Fraser was missing Ray's company. Fraser smiled remembering the way Ray woke him this morning, with a toe curling kiss.

It was late in the evening and Fraser was finishing off the last of his work. Fraser was really looking forward to his date with Ray. Everything was special when it involved Ray in Fraser's mind.

A knock on the door broke Fraser out of his musings.

Fraser called out, "Come in".

Turnbull came in carrying a suite bag, with a big goofy grin, "Sir I was asked to give you this at this time. You are to put it on".

Turnbull handed over the suite bag to a very confused looking Fraser.

Fraser took it, "Thank you Turnbull".

Once Turnbull left Fraser read the note that was attached to it:

Ben put it on step one of our date

Love ya

Ray

Xxx

Fraser shook his head and smiled and proceeded to put on the suite which turned out to be a very nice tux.

Ray was very nervous hoping and praying everything would work out perfectly. This was their first date out of the apartment so Ray wanted it to go right.

A few minutes later Turnbull knocked again, "Sir your driver is here".

Fraser's voice was surprised, "My driver".

Turnbull giggled, "Yes sir, your driver".

Fraser went out to find there was indeed a driver waiting for him. The driver led him to a stretch limo that was waiting for him.

The driver opened the door to revel the smiling face of Ray.

Ray raised his glass, "Hi Ben, you getting in or what. I must say you're looking very hot in that tux".

Fraser blushed as he got in, "Hi Ray, if I may say so you look rather hot yourself".

Ray pinked up, "Thanks Ben. So do you like our date so far"?

Fraser took the glass of champagne offered to him, "Ray I can't believe you've done all this. I'm really enjoying it. No one has ever treated me like this".

Fraser leaned in a kissed Ray, "Thank you my love".

They arrived at the restaurant and were shown to the best table in the place. The table was placed by the dance floor.

Fraser looked around, "Ray this is a very nice place. How did you find it"?

Ray was lost in Fraser's deep blue eyes, "It's my favourite place. You can enjoy really good food, music and dancing here. You're not judged for who you're dating. I wanted to share that with you".

Fraser took Ray's hand, "Ray thank you, it's wonderful".

Ray felt great; everything that he was doing was met by appreciation by Ben. The conversation flowed. They even talked about taking a holiday up north to visit Fraser's dad's cabin. Since they never got the chance on their adventure they had up there.

Ray's leg was acting up but Ray didn't care. All that mattered was he was on a date with the man he loved with all his heart. His Ben who love him back equally as strong.

Fraser could see that Ray was thinking, "Ray what are you thinking about"?

Ray gave a cheeky grin, "I'm thinking about what I'm going to do to you when I get home Ben".

Fraser blushed all the way to the tips of his ears, "Ray your incorrigible".

Fraser and Ray were lost in each others eyes and conversation. Ray didn't see Sally approached their table.

Sally stood next to him, "Ray".

Ray looked up at the sound of his name been called and was surprised to see Sally, "Hi Sally, what you doing here"?

Sally spoke in her usual cold tone, "I see you dress sense still hasn't improved, Ray who is this. I wanted to tell you I'm willing to take you back. I'll give you another chance I'm sure you can learn to do things the right way this time"?

Fraser wanted to be very UN Mountie like at that moment. Fraser could feel the hurt Ray was feeling. They were having such a lovely night up to that.

All the anger and frustration Ray feeling built up.

Ray finally burst slamming his napkin on the table, "That's it Sally. I'm tired of you cutting me down, belittling me. Stella did that for years and then you. You dump me in a fax that you sent to Ben. How DARE you put him in that position? As you can see Sally I'm on a date, with the most beautiful and best looking man in the world. So Sally go please and do NOT contact me in anyway".

Sally stood there open mouthed and shocked, "You're on a date with him. You're on a date with a man. What are you gay now"?

Ray took Fraser's hand, "No Sally, I'm in love. So if you please I'm on a date with the man of my dreams".

Sally snorted and left.

Ray felt even better, Ray came around the table holding out his hand, "Ben may I have this dance".

Fraser took Ray's hand, "I'd love to Ray".

Ray guided Fraser to the dance floor as best he could. Ray didn't care that he was limping over his cast; all Ray wanted to do was dance with his Ben.

Fraser gazed lovingly into Ray's eyes, "I'm so proud of you Ray".

Ray shrugged his shoulders as he danced, "Ben I love you and gave me the strength to do what I should have done years ago. Thank you for that Ben".

Fraser blushed, "You're a very strong person Ray, and I will love you for eternity".

Ray's face and heart lit up, "Ben me to for eternity".

As they danced they shared loving kisses safe in the knowledge of their undying love for each other.

The End


 

End Watching Your Step 10 by Vicki Tub

Author and story notes above.

Please post a comment on this story.
Read posted comments.