Turnbull's Turn

by Courser

Author's disclaimer: All Due South characters and concepts remain the property of Alliance Communications. No infringement is intemded and no remuneration is received.


Turnabout

By Courser

Chapter 1

Detective Ray Vecchio quickly left Constable Fraser's apartment building. He moved quietly, hoping that none of Fraser's neighbors would see fit to tell him that he'd had a visitor. He was pumped full of excess adrenalin after the shock of seeing his friend, well, doin' the horizontal bop with his neighbor. Of course in this case, it was sort of a vertical-horizontal bop, or maybe the perpendicular bop.

Ray giggled ridiculously, knowing it sounded almost manic and finally made it to the Riv, unlocking the doors. He got inside and started the engine, but couldn't put it in gear just yet. He rested his head on the steering wheel, trying to catch his breath. His heart was pounding in his chest, the beat echoing relentlessly in his groin. He thanked god for loose dress pants as he made a few minor adjustments to accommodate his erection. It seemed to appreciate the breathing room and expanded a bit more, stretching out. Looking quickly around he rubbed the heel of his hand against the hard length of his cock.

"Jesus." He breathed, reluctantly pulling his hand away and putting the car in gear. He couldn't be caught here, certainly not in this condition and knew that once Fraser emerged from post-coital bliss, his bat-like hearing might pick up the familiar idle of the Riv. Turning the corner, Ray's sharp mind followed several different lines of thought simultaneously. First, he needed to find a secluded place to park for awhile. He was pretty sure he knew just the place. Another part of his mind reviewed what he had seen. Fraser. Benny. The guy who didn't seem to have a clue about women obviously knows more than he was letting on. Like oral sex. Well, he supposed, not that he should really be surprised considering all the things he'd seen Fraser lick or put in his mouth.

He was rewarded with a surge in his groin as he recalled just what a sensory treat going down on a woman can be. It had been several years since he'd had the priviledge, but by all appearances, Benny knew what to do and where to do it if the woman's responses were to believed. He knew his friend was no virgin, certainly not after the whole Victoria thing, but he'd always seen him as a missionary position kind of guy, very gentle and controlled, very quiet. He'd always kinda figured that Victoria had basically ambushed Fraser and had her way with him. It blew Ray's mind to see him basically fucking this woman doggy-style for all he was worth, practically yelling as he came. While he hadn't spent much time thinking about what the Mountie was like between the sheets, this sure didn't fit with what he thought he knew about the guy.

Ray pulls into a downtown parking garage, descending the levels until he comes to the first empty one. This time of night he doesn't have to go far, just a couple levels down. He parks in a random space where he can see the ramp on the off chance someone else decides to come down here. He reaches between his legs and eases the seat back, stretching his legs out and leaning back. Casting a glance around the empty space he checks for security cameras finding only one, pointing up the ramp.

Focusing on his memory of Fraser and the woman, he unbuckles his belt and unfastens his trousers, his cock straining to be set free. Letting his eyelids fall to half mast, he takes it in a firm grip, index finger spreading the fluid over the head. He allows himself a small moan at the sensation. Thinking of Benny with his head between the woman's legs <Laura, her name's Laura> he begins to stroke himself, slowly at first, stopping to find some tissues for his left hand, then continuing. He sees Laura responding, her back arching, her hands on Fraser's hair showing him how best to please her. Ray squeezes the base of his cock, feels the rush of blood, finding even more wetness escaping from the head. Stroking faster now, he sees Fraser entering her from behind, sees Laura stroke herself on his length as he steadies himself on her shoulders. He hears her as she starts to come, then Benny drives into her deeply and she shatters, her voice dropping to groans. He simulates her orgasm with his hand on his cock and he feels his balls tighten in preparation. He thinks of how Fraser looked as he came, his head bent forward, hands in her hair, the muscles of his back straining as he moans loudly and empties into her. Ray's own orgasm is upon him as he voices a quiet moan, left hand at the ready with the tissues, his semen erupting in hard spurts as his right hand delivers a series of quick jerks just below the head. He sits quietly in the coolness of the garage, the faint odor of exhaust and motor oil in the air.

Chapter 2

Ray tucked himself way, folding the tissues into his pocket and relaxed just a bit in post orgasmic bliss. Who'da thought it? Benny screwing like there's no tomorrow while he jerks off in a parking garage in the middle of the night. He smiled, the low light emphasizing the long line of his nose, the fullness of his lips, the green of his eyes. He readjusted the seat to it's normal position and started the car, driving towards the exit slowly. Heading towards home, he dismissed the thought of stopping someplace on the way. His activities seem to have drained him.

Mercifully the house was quiet and Ray took a quick shower and slipped into his favorite pair of pajamas. After carefully locking his weapon up, he grabbed the remote and surfed aimlessly through the cable channels, guilt temporarily keeping sleep from claiming him. Not so much guilt over jerking off. Yeah, yeah, it's a sin, but so are 20 other things he did every day. He'd long since made his peace over that. He did feel guilty about watching Fraser, though. If it had been any other guy...well ok, he probably would have watched anyway, but it would have been different. Benny's so private and the act he'd witnessed was so...raw. Emotional. Fraser wasn't just having sex with Laura, it was like he was becoming one with her.

Ray never had much interest in skin-flicks. He'd seen a few, usually at a stag party or some other male gathering, but he'd been unimpressed. The women were artificial, grotesque even, with their overinflated breasts, made up faces and puffy lips. He far preferred the real women he'd known, women with a little meat on their bones. God knows he's skinny enough, he doesn't need to be grinding against a rack of bones. He needs a little cushioning. His ex-wife Angie, a frequent fixture in his fantasies, was a classic case in point. True, they'd had their differences but never in the sack. He remembered fondly how soft she was to hold, how good her generous ass felt as they made love. He laughed sadly to himself as he remembers Ange being upset at putting on a few pounds after the wedding. He'd told her he kinda liked it - gave him something to hold on to - and she'd given him a smack on the arm and blushed. The last time he'd seen her, she looked a little heavier still, but it didn't matter, she'd always be beautiful to him.

Ray turned off the television and his bedside light. It's all water under the bridge, there would be no going back for him and Ange, much as he'd like to. They're too different now, gone their separate ways. Lying in the dark, he thought about Fraser, now probably curled around Laura, and offered up a little prayer that she might heal some of the damage done to him. Knowing he doesn't deserve it, he asked for forgiveness, adding that perhaps the Blessed Virgin might see her way clear for him to meet someone as well. Smiling in both humor and horror, he realized that it's quite probably heresy for him to be asking the Blessed Virgin for a lover in light of this evenings activities. > Morning comes to the Vecchio household just like any other day. Voices drift up the stairs with the smell of fresh brewed coffee. Ray heard Maria talking to her children, getting them ready for school. In spite of everything, he loves his family, taking comfort in their constant, almost smothering presence. He knows he appreciates them more, since he's come to know Fraser, a man with no family, alone in the world. He can't imagine what is was like growing up with no mother, an absent father, isolated, with only books for company. As far as Ray could tell, Benny had never been a child, or at least a normal kid, adult behaviour expected from him at an early age. Or maybe he'd expected it from himself, holding himself to an unrealistic ideal. He didn't really know, but still, ever so often, Ray sees something behind his friend's eyes. Something indescribable that's kept carefully hidden.

Deciding that there was nothing to gained by further reflection, Ray got ready for his day, taking care to flush the tissue from his jacket pocket. God knows his dry cleaner has enough to deal with since he'd met Fraser, he didn't need to add that to the mix. He'd better get a move on, his 32 open cases weren't going to solve themselves.

Ray went downstairs and kissed his mother goodbye, telling her not to expect him for dinner. As he got into the Riv, he examined the interior carefully for anything he might have missed. He sure as hell didn't need to leave any evidence behind. As he drove to the station he reviewed the outstanding cases in his mind. Even with the murder that Fraser helped him clear the other day, he still needed key breaks in many of them. Stopping along the way for a coffee <I gotta have at least one cup of decent stuff > he found even more papers piled on his desk when he arrived.

"Elaine!" he tried really hard not to bellow, but she turned out to be only a few feet away, so the effect was the same.

"What, Vecchio!" she answered a little testily. She got little enough consideration without Vecchio's hollering.

"Sorry Elaine, I didn't see ya there."

"So what else is new? Is there a problem?" She pasted an innocent look on her face.

"What is all this......crap? And where did it all come from?"

"All this crap, as you call it, is the result of the inquiries you had me make yesterday, Vecchio. You don't like it, don't ask for it." Elaine turned and started to stalk away.

<Oh man, I'm in for it now. Where the hell's Benny when I need him>

"Elaine, I'm sorry, ok? I forgot. Thanks, but do ya think ya could give me the Reader's Digest condensed version here?"

Elaine looked at the Italian detective. Granted, he was a pain in the ass, but he treated her better than most of the other cops. And he was tight with the Mountie.

"All right. This...." Grabbing a thick sheaf of papers, "is the psychological profile on the guy who killed that woman last week." She dropped it on a far corner of his desk.

"This..." pointing to a few stapled pages, "is the ballistics report on that gang hit last Tuesday"

Pulling another couple of pages from the middle of the pile "Coroner's report on the murdered woman. And yes, Fraser was right, she was raped and bound with leather."

"Here we have various and sundry progress reports on outstanding cases, and this..." She picked up a single sheet and held it between her fingers, saving the best for last, "is a witness report on that hit and run last Friday."

"Elaine, you're a gem. Friday. Lunch. On me." Ray was feeling generous and she really was the best.

"I'm gonna hold you to that, Vecchio"

"Count on it, Elaine." He promised as he took the paper from her. "If anybody asks, this's where I'll be."

She nodded as he practically ran for the door, anxious for a break in the case. As he drove to Pages, the bookstore where the witness, Ms. Lewis worked, he reviewed the report. Ms. Lewis had been returning home from dinner with friends when she observed the deceased crossing the street about a block ahead. A dark blue or black sedan had practically run her off the road passing her, then continuing on to strike the pedestrian and flee the scene. Ms. Lewis had been badly frightened by the incident and proceeded directly home after arriving at the scene and finding a number of people already rendering what aid they could to the victim. It wasn't until yesterday that she'd learned the police where looking for witnesses to the crime.

Ray had managed to locate the bookstore on a mediocre side street not far from his home and parked a few storefronts away. Pages' storefront was clean and well-kept, a small barrel of flowers next to the door. Wind chimes tinkled as he entered. Incense tickled his nose and he automatically checked for the telltale scent of marijuana as well, but there was none. A woman's voice from the rear of the store called "Be right there....", as he heard the click of heels on the ancient wood floor. Two old overstuffed chairs were placed by the front window, the register on a counter to one side. Narrow aisles lined with shelf upon shelf of books led to the back of the store. Presently, the owner of the voice showed herself.

"Good morning. I'm sorry, I was just putting some new arrivals away in the back. What can I help you with, today?" She appeared to be in her mid thirties with shoulder length, dark blonde hair and hazel eyes. She was a little on the plump side, Ray mused, but very well proportioned, her narrow waist bracketed by a gentle flair of hips and generous........<better not go there> he thought.

"Good morning, Ma'am. I'm Dectective Ray Vecchio of the Chicago P.D." he began, showing his identification, "would you be Ms. Lewis?"

"Yes, Beth Lewis. Is this about that accident last Friday?" She asked, concern written in the fine lines around her blue-green eyes.

"Yeah, it is. I understand that you saw the car that struck the victim and fled the scene." Ray watched her expression carefully looking for any sign of deception, but saw only sadness.

"Well, I did, and I'm more than willing to help, I just didn't see all that much. It all happened so fast." Beth's eyes met his own, only open sincerity reflected there.

"Why don't you start at the beginning and tell me everything that happened. The report said that you'd had dinner with friends....." He began for her. She motioned him to the armchairs and seated herself, Ray following suit.

"Yes, I had dinner with Lisa and Larry Saunders at the Mercury over on 56th. I was on my way home, travelling north on Vine, when this car just came up behind me then swerved around like I was standing still. The guy damn nearly forced me off the road." Ray smiled at her mild oath. Course, she didn't exactly look virginal or anything.

"What can you tell me about the car?", he urged, "Color? Make maybe?"

"It was dark, I mean a dark color, like midnight blue or black, but it's hard to tell at night, and it was big and kinda....I don't know...blocky? Like a Crown Victoria maybe? Or an Oldsmobile? Buick? I'm sorry, I'm sure that's not terribly helpful."

"Every little bit helps, Ms. Lewis. What about age, condition?"

"It wasn't an old car, unless it was really taken care of. The paint was real shiny, in the streetlights, lots of reflections, so it was clean."

Ray wrote in his notebook briefly, trying to think of some way this might be of use.

"Were you able to see in the windows at all? How many people in the car maybe?" He found himself watching the side of her face as she looked into the middle distance, trying to remember. She closed her eyes, kinda like Fraser did sometimes when he was trying to recall something. The morning sun through the storefront window made her hair sparkle with hundreds of gold tones that for some reason made him think of Christmas, and suddenly he felt everything kind of .....shift...just a little bit. He thought it was maybe the incense or that the sun might have hit him in the eyes, but when Beth opened her eyes and spoke, everything was somehow........ different.

"Um, there were two people in the car. Men, I think, though that's really just my impression." He watched her lips as she spoke, catching a glimpse of the tip of her toungue. He found it vaguely erotic, and dragged his gaze back to her eyes. The room seemed suddenly warm as he tried to formulate the next question.

"So. Uhm, do you think you'd recognize them again, if you saw them?" His voice had grown softer, gentler, and a part of him wondered what the hell was going on here.

"Well, I don't know...... Detective, would you like a cup of coffee? I put some on and it should be done by now."

She rose from the chair and he followed her to the back of the store, taking the opportunity to observe the sway of her hips, the caress of her skirt on her calves as she led the way. <Jesus, what the hell is wrong with me?> It took a conscious effort on his part to take his eyes off her ass and settle them, more appropriately, on the back of her head. He hoped the coffee would get rid of the sludge that seemed to be oozing around his brain.

Beth showed him to a back room doing double duty as combination office and storage room. A shelf held books of various sizes and shapes, bits of paper sticking up from their closed pages.

"How do you take it?" She asked, handing him a clean mug.

"Huh?" His mind spun in a hundred different directions, none of which where applicable to the situation at hand.

"Your coffee. Do you need sugar or creamer?" She looked at him patiently, the pot raised towards his cup.

"Oh. No, black is fine, thanks." Ray struggled for some semblance of his former composure, holding his cup out for her to fill. She leaned towards him and he picked up her scent, a sweet counterpoint to the fresh coffee.

"You know, I don't know if I could positively identify the men from the car, but I could probably eliminate some. I didn't really see their faces and with everything that happened, it's all kind of a blur." She leaned back on the desk, rounded her lips and blew on her coffee. Eyebrows raised, she took a brief inventory of the man before her. Tall and lean, his features were a bit sharp, but softened by the large expressive eyes, their color a sort of soothing green-gray. She liked the curve of his mouth when he smiled and the white, even teeth behind his lips. This was a man who cared about his appearance, Beth mused, taking in the quality of the suit. <Every girl crazy for a sharp dressed man> she almost laughed at the ZZ Top lyric that floated through her head.

"What?" Ray asked, softly, smiling at her, sounding like he'd shared her thought. Beth's eyes widened at the seductive tone in his voice. When he wasn't in official mode it was very sexy. She cursed her fair complexion as she felt herself flush in response, ducking her head, turning slightly away from him and letting her hair fall over the side of her face to hide it from him.

"Uh, nothing really, just a ......well, nevermind, it's not important." She demurred, taking a few breaths to calm herself, then looking back at him.

"Oh, come on. What?" he pleaded with her, aware that he was enjoying this exchange, that he wanted to keep her off balance. He edged closer to her, inpinging on her personal space just a bit, just enough that she had to tilt her head up to make eye contact.

"Nothing really..." she looked away, "you know how bits of things just pop into your head? Something like that. Part of a song actually." Her voice was quiet, breathier than it had been. She pushed off the desk, moved around him in the restricted space and Ray smiled to himself, pleased that he'd had an effect on her as well.

"Ahhh, what was the song?" he asked, leaning towards her just a bit, his voice pitched low. She surpises him by turning and meeting his gaze full on, smiling.

"I don't know the name of it Detective, I'm sorry." She replied, leaving the room and waiting for him to follow her back to the front of the store.

"Too bad." Ray followed her, not feeling quite so guilty this time for watching her walk.

"Thank you, Ms. Lewis, for taking the time to speak with me. D'ya think your boss might let you off a little early, so ya can come by the station ta look at some photos?" He really wanted to ask her out for coffee, but it would have to be clearly unofficial.

"Please, call me Beth, and I am the boss. I'd have to close the store to come down....."

"Oh, no, no, I don't want you to hafta do that. Okay, Beth....." she smiled when he used her name, "why don't I get some mug shots together and bring 'em by here after you close. Would that be all right?"

"Wouldn't you be off duty by then? I don't want to be any trouble, Detective Vecchio."

"If I can call you Beth, you can call me Ray. And no, it's no trouble. I live pretty close. You close at seven right?" She nodded. "All right, I'll come back then."

He took one of his cards out of his breast pocket and handed it to her. "If you think of anything, or need to get ahold of me, here's my numbers, both at the station and my cell phone."

She looked at the card then put it on the counter next to the cash register, holding her hand out to Ray.

"It was nice meeting you, Ray. I guess I'll see you this evening then." He took her hand in his but just held it for a moment, releasing it with a gentle squeeze.

"That you will. Thanks, I hope you have a good day." He left the store and walked to his car, giving her a little wave as he passed the window.

On his way back to the station he remembered his request of the Blessed Virgin last night. Maybe she wasn't as offended as he'd thought.

Once back at the station, he headed for his desk. His mind elsewhere, he didn't see the telltale red serge of Fraser's uniform until he was almost there, partially hidden as he was by the filing cabinet. <Oh my god!> Ray hadn't given a thought as to how he'd feel after watching Benny last night. It all cascaded back to him as he stopped dead in his tracks. The way he'd looked as he made love to Laura. Hell, the way she'd looked and sounded. He felt like he'd been kicked in the chest, like all the air had been sucked out of the room. His visitor must have heard it because he turned and smiled at Ray.

"Ray! You're back." Leave it to the Mountie to state the obvious.

"Oh, yeah. Hey Benny." His voice sounded small and his brain wouldn't shut up. <So Benny, where'd you learn to do that stuff, huh? More of your grandmother's books?> Ray's face was split with a huge grin, his only concession to the hysterical laughter in his head. His eyes started to tear up with the effort and he walked around his desk, waiting a moment to compose himself before turning around to face Fraser.

"Ahh. You look pleased. Is there particular reason for your good spirits?" Fraser asked innocently.

<Oh yeah, Benny, watching you and Laura get each other off made me so horny I had to stop on my way home to get myself off> Ray couldn't look at him and made a show of examining the papers on his desktop. He realized, oddly enough, he didn't feel all that guilty about having watched Fraser and Laura. It was the provocative thoughts that were driving him insane. He couldn't believe that the extremely controlled, buttoned down man in front of him was capable of the acts he'd seen last night. On the other hand, he reflected, if the guy didn't have some kind of relief valve, he'd probably just explode.

"Got a break on a nasty hit and run. Just came from interviewing the witness. So what brings you down here?"

"I had to post a package for the Inspector. Since the post office is only a few blocks from here, I thought you might like to have lunch." Ray looked at his friend and shook his head a little.

"In other words, you were in the neighborhood and thought you'd stop by."

"Yes." Constable Fraser thought he'd been quite clear on that point.

"Okay, let's go. I can't really do much more on this until later anyway."

The two men left the station house and headed towards Ray's car, baking in the early afternoon sun. Fraser removed his hat and got into the Riviera, putting his it on the dashboard, while Vecchio got in behind the wheel. He started the car and pulled into traffic.

"So, Benny, where ya wanna go?" Benny, however was distracted by a faint, vaguely familiar odor in the car. The smell seemed to come and go a bit with the drafts from the open windows and he tried to locate it's source, looking just a bit like Diefenbaker as he pointed his nose in different directions, sniffing.

"Hey, earth to Benny. Where ya ........what the hell are you doing?"

"There seems to be an odd odor in your car, Ray. Your car has a distinctive odor and there's definitely something different today." He continued to sniff, but more unobtrusively now, since his friend wasn't entirely comfortable with some of his, well... more primitive techniques. The odor seemed to be organic, slightly metallic, like blood, but not so coppery, this was more musky.....more like.......Ben froze in his seat and snapped his head and eyes forward, looking only at the road in front of him. Oh. Dear. It couldn't be. Well, yes it could and obviously was. Hmmm. Maybe Ray was reliving some kind of...... what did he call it? Ahh, yes, Prom Princess fantasy.

Ray was in a bit of a panic himself. He really couldn't believe that Benny'd be able to smell that. Not the next day for god's sake. Maybe if he'd missed something, but he hadn't, he'd checked carefully. Ray's head began swiveling between watching the road and watching Fraser. When he saw him snap to attention in the seat, he knew he'd figured it out. Ray could feel himself beginning to blush, but caught himself. So what? It was his car, and it's not as if he knows I was watching him. While he didn't feel safe, exactly, he was pretty sure that Benny wouldn't be talking about it anymore, considering that his face was the same color as his uniform.

Chapter 3

Ben and Ray managed to survive lunch without either of them choking to death on anything, though their conversation was limited to the hit and run investigation that occupied Ray's morning. It wasn't until they were on their way back to the precinct when Ray finally decided to ask about Laura.

"So... how're things with Laura?"

"Uhm, good." The reply was accompanied with a small smile.

"Oh yeah?"

"Um hmm."

"Good...as in..."

"Satisfactory." Fraser replied, carefully straightfaced, even as he remembered waking in the dark, making love to her again in the stillness of the predawn hours.

He cleared his throat a bit at the sudden rush of emotion. The gesture wasn't lost on Ray, who debated whether to press the matter or not.

"Satisfactory? That's it?" Curiosity and devilment won out.

Ben let out an exasperated sigh, "She's quite delightful and I enjoy her company...a lot."

"Ahhh."

Ray figured he'd gotten about all that he was going to for now and that pushing Benny probably wasn't in his best interest, considering Fraser's earlier discovery.

Ben was still a bit perplexed over what he'd dectected. Surely there were more comfortable and appropriate settings for that type of activity. He couldn't imagine a worse fate than being caught in such a compromising situation.

Ray stopped in front of the Consulate.

"Here ya go, Benny. I'm gonna stop off at that bookstore after work, run some mug shots by Ms. Lewis, so I'll talk to you tomorrow, ok?"

"Thank you, Ray. I hope she's able to help your investigation." He thought Ray's interest in Ms. Lewis may be more than purely professional, considering how much he'd talked about her over lunch.

After dropping his passenger, Ray drove directly to a full service car wash on his way back to the station and had the interior cleaned as well as the exterior. He hadn't been able to smell anything, but he'd have to be more careful around Fraser. Every sense the guy had was enhanced and he found himself wondering if sex was better for him as well. To have every sound, touch, and sensation amplified... Waiting for his car to be finished, he quickly stopped that line of thought before he got an aroused. Hell, he'd settle for just average sex. He remembered something an old cop buddy had told him. Sex was like pizza. Good pizza was great, but even mediocre pizza was still nice.

Ray returned to the precinct in his now squeeky clean car, confident that any traces had been eradicated. Returning to his desk, he heard Welsh's familiar bellow.

"Vecchio!"

"Yes sir."

"My office. Now." The lieutenant turned and walked away, confident that his officer was following.

Ray immediately picked up the file on the hit and run and entered Welsh's office, closing the door behind him.

"Detective Vecchio. I assume by your absence this morning that you have something on one of your cases?" He asked, pressing his fingers together.

"Yup. A Ms. Beth Lewis got a good look at the car in that hit and run", he explained, handing the file to his superior. "That's were I was this morning, interviewing her at her place of business.

"Will, Ms., uh, Lewis be gracing us with her presence, anytime soon?" Welsh asked, leafing through the file.

"I've already taken her statement and I'm gonna type it up as soon as I'm done here. Then I'm gonna grab some mug shots and take 'em back over there after she closes. She owns the bookstore and I don't want to cause a valuable witness any undue inconvenience."

Welsh thought that there was more to the story. Quite sure, in fact, that Ms. Lewis was most likely an attractive woman. While his dectective was almost always cooperative and helpful, something told him this was more than mere professional courtesy.

"All right, Vecchio, I'm satisfied. For now." He handed back the file and turned away in dismissal.

Ray left and again enlisting Elaine's help, typed up Beth's statement and selected a lineup of mug shots for her to view

It was 6:56 PM when Ray pulled up outside Pages. As a professional, he knew that he could only ask her to look at so many photos in one sitting before the faces all began to look the same. Beth's last customer of the day was just leaving as Ray came to the door.

"Good evening, Detective." She greeted him, extending her hand.

Ray took it in both of his, squeezing gently.

"Hi Beth. Am I too early?"

"Not a'tall. Just give me a moment to lock up." She answered, taking a set of keys from her pocket, walking to the front door and throwing the bolts.

She turned the placard next to the door from "Open" to "Closed", then walked behind the counter and opened the register. She removed the cash drawer, leaving the register open.

Ray watched her closing routine, taking in the warm smell and feel of the place.

Beth turned to him, "Shall we?", indicating that he should follow her to the back.

The stopped in the small office and Ray waited patiently while she put cash and checks into a bank bag, locking the cash drawer into a small safe next to the desk. He followed her out of the office, and even further back to an alley door, already locked and barred for the night. Turning out most of the store lights and arming the alarm, she turned to Ray, standing rather perplexed in the half light.

"I live upstairs. If you don't mind, I'd like to get comfortable for this."

"No problem, lead the way." He replied, unexpectedly pleased that she was inviting him into her home.

She unlocked and opened a side door leading to a set of stairs as well as another door that Ray assumed lead to the street. A weak light came on when Beth flipped a switch and they climbed the rather steep stairs to yet another door at the top, which was soon opened as well.

"A lot of keys to keep track of here." Ray commented.

"Actually I had a locksmith come out and key almost everything alike. I have only one key to unlock the store locks and another to open mine. I almost went nuts when I first moved in, everything had a different key." Beth explained as they entered her apartment.

At first it reminded him of Fraser's apartment, probably because the building was old, the glass of the large windows rippled with age. The similarities ended there. Where Fraser's apartment was drab and spare, Beth's was bright, even in the fading light of sunset, colorful prints and hangings gracing the walls. A faint smoky, sweet scent lingered in the air, similar, but subtely different from the incense in the store.

"Why don't you go ahead and have a seat." She said, indicating a cozy seating group near the front windows.

Ray considered his options as Beth continued on to the kitchen area. Choosing the wing chair near the sofa, he saw her kick her shoes into a corner and open the refridgerator.

" Would you like something to drink? I'm afraid I don't have much to choose from: Iced tea, cranberry juice, water..." ice clinking into a glass, "I could make some coffee, if you like..."

"No, no. Tea'd be good." Ray watched her pour tea into the glasses and bring them out, handing him one.

"Do you need sugar?"

He shook his head no as he took a sip, Beth taking her seat on the sofa. Leaning against the arm, she curled her legs to the side. Ray watched as she took a long drink of her tea, her eyes half closing, then opening and looking at him. Putting their glasses on the low table in front of them, Beth started:

"So, Detective, I take it you've brought some photos for me to look at?"

Giving her a sweet smile, "Ray, please, I'm off duty now, okay?"

"All right, Ray. And I want to thank you for coming by after hours. I really can't afford to be away from the store on short notice." She returned his smile, showing white, even teeth.

"Now I know you didn't really get a good look at the guys in the car, but maybe one of these will jog your memory." He reached into his inside jacket pocket, withdrawing a small stack of photographs.

"Now, do any of these," he said slowly, placing the photos in three rows of three on the table, "look familiar?"

Beth leaned forward on the sofa, looking at each photo in turn. After a few moments, she looked at Ray, leaning over the table towards her, their faces only inches apart. Her eyes caught his, held them for a long moment before speaking.

"May I touch them?" She asked, her breath whispering across his cheek.

For just a moment, Ray wasn't sure what she wanted to touch, but as far as he was concerned she could touch whatever she liked.

"Uhhh, yeah." He dropped his eyes, her gaze somehow too intense for him.

Beth returned her attention to the photos, eliminating some by placing them to the side, mumbling a little to herself. She picked one up, holding it in the fading sunlight, then closed her eyes. Gave a little head shake then did the same with another photo. She repeated the process several times, eliminated two more photos.

"I'm pretty sure this was the passenger." Handing a photo to Ray. "I got a pretty good look at the side of his face when they passed me. The driver could be either of these two, or neither of them. I didn't get much of a look at the driver. It happened so fast."

Ray turned the photographs over, confirming what he already knew. If she was right about the passenger, then most likely, the second of the two possibles was the driver. Two of Zuko's goons and not very high ranking ones at that. The hit and run had been a low level, poorly executed hit. With a sinking feeling Ray realized that he wouldn't be allowed to continue the investigation. His history with the Zuko family was well known and there was no way Welsh'd let him continue. On the other hand, it just might allow him to see Beth, once he relinquished the case to the Duck Boys. Apparently the Blessed Mother was still smiling on him, in her own way. He looked at her and smiled, realizing that he'd smiled more today than he had in the last month.

"That's great Beth. You can't know how helpful this is. Well, except for one thing." He looked away, suddenly nervous.

"What? Did I somehow screw up?" Concerned that she'd identified the wrong men.

"No! It's just that I'm gonna get pulled from the investigation. Let's just say that their boss and I go way back. Junior high, as a matter of fact. The last time, uh..." The memory of Irene, dying in his arms suddenly took his breath away, his eyes stinging with unshed tears.

"Ray, what happened?" Beth dipped her head trying to meet his eyes, her hand on his arm.

"Uhm, I lost a coupla friends. It was a...rough time." He finished softly, finally meeting her eyes.

"I'm sorry, Ray. I really am." She couldn't think of anything else to say, but was disappointed that she wouldn't be seeing any more of the Italian detective.

"It's ok. Really." He found comfort in her grey-green eyes. Comfort and maybe something else as well.

"Beth, uh, I may be off the case, officially speaking that is, but um, maybe we could go out for coffee sometime." He said, hoping that the sudden change in mood wasn't too abrupt.

"I'd like that Ray." She said quietly as she slid her hand down his arm, giving his hand a quick squeeze.

"So would I. Ok, I'm not sure who the lieutenant will assign the case to, but probably Detectives Jack Huey and Tom Dewey, they're good cops."

"Huey and Dewey? What, no Louis?" Beth couldn't resist the joke, but wished she could take the words back when she saw Ray's face.

"Louis was killed when a bomb wired to my car exploded." He tried to take the sting out of his words by adding:

"Hey, I know. We call 'em the Duck Boys at the station"

Beth was horrified by her gaff.

"Oh god, Ray. I'm sorry. Shit. I am such an idiot." She was clearly agitated, getting up and going to the kitchen.

"Way to go, Ray." He mumbled to himself as he got up and followed her.

She was standing at the sink, a glass in her hands, but not moving. Ray moved quietly to her side. Her head was bowed, hair obscuring her face. In a unconscious gesture, her swept her hair away from her face and tucked it behind her ear, her face flushed with shame and regret.

"Hey, c'mon. It's ok, really." Ray soothed, his hand resting on her shoulder.

"I'm so sorry." Turning toward him.

"You couldn't have known, Beth. No apology necessary, okay?"

"Okay." To his surprise she gave him a hug, her hands around his waist under his jacket.

Ray wrapped his arms around her shoulders, savoring the wonderful soft feel of her against him. God, he could get used to this. Her hair smelled sweet and a little spicy, silky against his cheek and he wished he could just wrap himself up in the smell and feel of her, but she pulled away only a moment later.

"Thanks Ray."

"What for?" He thought he should be thanking her.

"For, I don't know. Being so nice about all this." She looked a bit embarrassed.

"No problem. Okay, I gotta get going, oh, that reminds me. I need your signature on this statement." Pulling said document out of his pocket and spreading it on the counter.

"Oh. All right." Beth quickly read her statement, making a small correction, then signed it and handed it back to Ray.

"Thanks. Now, I'm going to file this in the morning and Welsh'll take me off the case. So, um, would you have dinner with me tomorrow night? I know it's short notice, but..."

"Yeah, I think I'd like that. Same time?" Smiling at him again.

"Yeah, great. I'm looking forward to it." Feeling bold he kissed her cheek, then walked to the door.

"Beth, do me a favor, huh? Be extra careful okay? I don't think you're in any danger, but it wouldn't hurt."

"I will, I promise." She walked with him down the stairs and through the store to the front, where she unlocked the door and let him out, waving at him through the window.

Ray unlocked the car and got in, the clean smell almost overwhelming. Thinking about Beth and dinner tomorrow, he realised that he wasn't on his way home, but heading towards Fraser's apartment. He wondered if he'd be with Laura again tonight. Probably. He shouldn't, he knew, but flush from his evening with Beth, he really wanted to see them again.

Parking the car around the corner from Fraser's apartment, he made his way up the stairs as quietly as he could. Arriving at the door, he knocked quietly, looking at his watch. It was only 8:35. If Fraser was home, he should still be awake. No answer. Ray opened the door to the darkened apartment, looking over at the empty bed, then at the fire escape. No Diefenbaker either.

He entered and eased the door shut, then approached the dining room window slowly, keeping to the shadows. Looking around the frame to the apartment across the narrow alley, he found Ben and Laura, naked on the bed. Ben was slouched against the head of the bed, Laura's mouth on his penis, slowly moving up and down. Ben seemed to be watching her, though it was hard to tell if his eyes were open or shut in the low light. Ray felt his blood rush from his brain to his cock, a warm feeling rising in him. Laura took her time, moving slowly and Ben threw his head back, his hand in her hair, saying something low and indisinguishable. Laura slowed, then stopped and he tugged at her hair.

Ray felt himself grow hard. As guilty as he felt, he continued to watch as Fraser became someone he didn't know, a sexual being. Ben continued to tug at Laura's hair and she finally complied, moving up his body with an almost feline ease until she was straddling him, her legs on either side of his hips, breasts against his chest. He took her head in both his large hands and kissed her, deepening the kiss quickly. Laura began to move against him, rubbing her groin against his, until he broke the kiss and pushed her back, taking a nipple into his mouth, one hand dropping down to stroke her sex.

Ray took a deep breath, his own excitement climbing higher as she responded. Laura arched her back as Ben suckled and stroked her and Ray heard her gasps and moans, wondering if he was inside her yet. He didn't think so. Ray imagined her wetness seeping down onto Ben, hot and sweet and his own body surged in response. Laura rose up and back bit and he thought he saw her apply a condom before Ben slid into her. Heard her cry out with pleasure as she began to rise and fall over Fraser, his hand still busy at her center. Driving down on him hard several times, she came, moaning and grinding against her lover. Ray felt himself begin to sweat.

Ben stopped his ministrations and rolled them over, pushing into her a couple of times. Putting his arms under her legs and lifing them, he pushed them to her chest, bending her almost double, Laura's hands gripping his upper arms. Again, Ray was surprised at Ben's expertise, now using long slow strokes, his back flexing with the effort. He thought he heard Ben utter an 'oh god, Laura' as he began to thrust faster and she rose to meet them, close to orgasm again. For a moment Ben held back a bit, using shallow strokes until Laura was whimpering, then crashed into her over and over again, groaning on each breath until his back arched dramatically and they cried out together in erotic harmony.

Ray was practically trembing with arousal, but didn't dare move for a moment. When he saw them separate, Ben curling around her, his back to the window, Ray took his leave, exiting as quietly as he could. Fortunately he encountered no one on his way back to the Riv and he got in, driving away as quickly as possible. There was no way he would risk himself as he had last night. Part of him was shocked that he'd repeated the indiscretion, but the rest of him couldn't wait to get home, his cock throbbing with every heartbeat. He suspected his evening with Beth had only intensified his need, the memory of her scent and softness combining with what he'd seen to create a volatile mix.

He broke several traffic laws along the way, arriving to find the house dark. Wondering where everyone was, he let himself in and went directly to his bedroom, shutting and locking the door before setting his cell phone and weapon on the bedside table. He stripped his clothes off, letting them drop to the floor, giving himself a few preparatory strokes before lying down, propped up on the headboard much like Fraser had been. Finding some hand lotion in his drawer, he squeezed a bit in his right hand then smoothed it over his cock, paying special attention to the head. He dropped his left hand between his legs and fondled his balls, using long, slow strokes on his cock. Ray closed his eyes, seeing first Ben and Laura, then Beth in his mind. His hand picked up the pace a bit, stopping periodically to squeeze the base or head, feeling it swell in response. Imagining how Beth would look in the thoes of passion, he pumped harder, quicker, a pleasant tension building in his belly. Ray was close now, moaning, graphic images dancing behind his eyelids. He was just about to go over the edge when his cell phone rang.

"Fuck!" He jumped and yelled, his concentration broken, though his cock still pulsed in his hand.

Reaching across, he picked it up.

"Vecchio!" He growled breathlessly.

"It's Welsh. You ok?" His superior inquired.

"Yeah. Fine. What's up?" Ray panted.

"Your witness, Ms. Lewis, just reported a break-in at her store. Weren't you just there?"

"Yeah. Is she okay?" Ray now felt panic set in, his erection rapidly fading.

"She's fine, she reported it from her apartment above the store. I sent a black and white over there, but she thought you'd want to know." Welsh informed him.

"Yeah, I do. I'm on my way. Thanks." He pushed the end button and threw his clothes back on, leaving the tie behind. Holstering his gun, he ran down the stairs and out of the house. Chapter 4

Ray made it to Pages in record time, finding that several patrol cars and the fire department had already arrived. What had been reported as a break-in had been more like vandalism. The front windows had been shattered and the remains of a small fire smoldered inside the store. He flashed his badge at the uniformed cop standing guard at the entrance, and carefully skirting the fire, made his way to the back of the store. Beth was in the office giving a statement to a young, dark haired patrolman. Beth saw him, met his eyes with a weak smile, then looked away.

Ray showed his badge to the cop taking her statement.

"Detective Vecchio. To what do we owe the pleasure?" The young cop asked, a bit surprised that the vandalism rated a detective's attention.

Ray inspected the name tag. "Officer...Hernandez. I interviewed Ms. Lewis earlier today regarding a possible homicide, Lieutenant Welsh called me at her request." Then turning to Beth, "Are you all right, Ms. Lewis?"

Beth nodded, her eyes sad and tired.

"Do you want to finish this, Detective?" Hernandez offered.

"No, I'm sure you doin' fine." Ray replied.

"Ms. Lewis? Finish giving your statement to Hernandez, here, and I'll come talk to you when he's done, okay?" He tried to convey as much empathy as possible in his words.

"Thank you, Detective." Beth met his eyes and smiled at him.

Ray turned around and made his way back to the front of the store, the acrid smell of scorched wood assaulting his nose. The arson investigator had arrived and was poking around in the ashes, putting tiny bits and pieces into evidence bags. Ray held back for a moment to give the guy a chance to finish his examination, looking around and trying to assess the damage. He hoped that Beth had a good insurance policy.

The arson investigator finally straightened and spotted Ray standing at the periphery of the destruction.

"You're going to have to go outside, sir, this is an active crime scene." The man said, brusque and intimidating.

Once again, Ray showed his badge. "Detective Vecchio, Chicago P. D. What d'ya think?" ignoring the man's rude tone.

"Oh, sorry. You dress too well for a cop. Inspector Bernhardt, Chicago Fire Department, Arson Division." He extended his hand and Ray shook it.

"Looks like a classic Molotov cocktail. See those fragments of glass, there and there?" Bernhardt pointed out several shards of clear glass and held up an evidence bag containing more of the same. All the pieces were curved and thicker than the shattered window glass.

"Accelerant was kerosene, safer and more reliable than gasoline. But it's slower and doesn't explode. I'd say it was thrown through the window from a passing car, landing here." Bernhardt indicated some black streaks on the floor.

"Think it could be a warning maybe?" Vecchio asked.

"Could be? I'd say it is. This could have been much worse, believe me." The fire inspector replied.

"Ok, thanks Bernhardt. I'm gonna go check on Ms. Lewis." Ray said as he saw the statement-taking patrolman walking towards him.

"How's she holding up, Hernandez?"

"Pretty good, considering. Scared mostly."

"Ok, thanks. I'm gonna take her upstairs. Give me a call when you guys start clearing out, okay?" Ray asked, handing Hernandez his card with his cell phone number.

"Sure thing, but I don't think it'll be anytime soon."

Ray thanked the slight Hispanic cop with a hand on his shoulder and walked back to the office. The smell of smoke still hung in the air back here, but it was a bit less pungent. Beth was searching in a filing cabinet when Ray entered the small room.

"Beth, how're you doin', huh?" he asked, concern coloring his voice.

Beth jumped a little as she turned, then walked toward him.

"Oh, Ray. It scared the hell out of me. I heard the crash and called 911, but it wasn't until a few minutes later that I smelled the smoke." She explained, her fingers twisting with tension.

Ray closed the space between then and took her into his arms, pleased that she hadn't resisted. Beth finally let go of her tightly held emotions and began to cry, quickly progressing to great heaving sobs, her tears soaking the front of Ray's shirt.

"I'm so sorry, Beth. I really am." He said, continuing with soothing murmurs, one hand rubbing her back while the other stroked her hair. As sorry as he was that she'd been targeted, he was pleased that she was allowing him to comfort her, taking pleasure in the silk of her hair against his cheek.

When her sobs had dwindled to a few hitching gasps, Ray back away a bit, his hands on her shoulders.

"Come on, let's go upstairs and I'll make you some tea." He suggested, seeing her nod in agreement.

He noted the cop stationed at the alley door to the apartment stairs with appreciation. Once inside, Ray locked the door behind them and settled Beth on the sofa before going to the kitchen. Finding the kettle already on the stove, he added water and turned on the burner, then opened several cupboards before finding the tea. Looking at the wide selection, he decided on chamomile, remembering that Fraser often drank it for it's calming properties. He went back out to check on Beth while the water heated.

"Did you find everything?" she asked, her eyes still dull.

"Yeah, tea's not too tough." He smiled at her, surprised at the feelings she stirred in him.

Taking a chance, he sat down next to her and pulled her close again, enjoying the feel of her against him even more now that she wasn't in tears.

"Thank you Ray. I'm sorry that I, well, lost it." she said, her voice vibrating pleasantly against his chest.

"Don't be sorry. I'm glad I was here for you." His hand was on her hair again and he wanted to surround her, wrap himself around her to keep her safe.

Beth trembled a bit and he realized the all the windows were open and a cool night breeze was chilling her. Ray reached behind her for the woven throw on the back of the sofa and wrapped it around her, before getting up to close some of the windows. The kettle whistled and he went back to the kitchen to make the tea.

"Do you want sugar or anything?" He called out to her.

"No, thanks," she replied, her voice a little stronger.

Ray brought the mugs out and handed one to Beth. She'd begun to regain her color and smiled a little more brightly at him.

"Thanks, Ray." She said, before she pursed her lips and blew into the mug.

"It's the least I can do, Beth," he paused, unsure of how to break the news to her. "Um, I feel partly responsible for this, you know. I'm really sorry."

"How could you be responsible for this?"

"I...think that news of my visit here this afternoon traveled quickly. Really quick; I haven't even told anybody who you identified yet. I, we, think this may have been a warning. A warning to keep quiet about what, or who, you saw." Ray explained.

Beth thought for a moment, "So it was a mob hit. Great. Now what?"

She seemed worried, but no longer panicked, taking a sip of her tea.

Ray thought a moment.

"You know, this was a pretty stupid move. I mean, it confirms our suspicions. I'm pretty sure this wasn't official."

"Official?"

"Well, sanctioned by their boss. These guys are really small fish and I'll bet they were trying to take care of the problem themselves. We may be able to work with that," he reasoned. "But for now, you need to get some rest."

Beth took another long swallow of tea, considering something, coming to a decision.

"Stay with me Ray." She said, watching his eyes widen with comprehension.

He looked away, knowing he'd never be able to refuse her if he didn't.

"Beth, that's, uh, quite an offer, but I can't. I mean, I'll stay, to make sure you're safe, but...," he trailed off when he met her eyes again. Carefully setting their mugs down, he laced his fingers into her hair.

He drew her close and kissed her forehead, then each of her eyes, feeling the lashes flutter against his lips. Beth didn't move, waiting to see where this would lead, his mouth soft and warm against her skin. He trailed kisses down each side of her face, then blew his warm breath over the sensitive skin below her ear, sending a little rush of pleasure through her body and she gasped just a bit. Pulling back, Ray caressed the side of her face, his fingers coming to rest on the curve of her jaw as he finally kissed her, softly, in a way that made her want more. He was teasing her, he knew, but was helpless to stop himself as he gently stroked his lips against hers, waiting for her to deepen it. Beth put her hand on his cheek, rubbing her thumb against the stubble of his beard, before grasping the back of his neck and pulling him to her, pressing her lips against his as he smiled. He relented finally and stroked his tongue across them as she opened to him. A long moment passed as they explored the hard and soft contours of each other's mouths, then regretfully parted.

"Ray..." Beth began.

He covered her mouth with his fingers, "Shhhh. If ya keep askin', I'm not goin' to be able to refuse. I gotta be careful here. Officially, I'm still on the case, so..."

"All right. I'll consider that a rain-check," she paused, taking a deep breath, "In that case, I guess I'll just take myself off to bed. Not that I'll be able to sleep..." she finished, smiling at him.

Beth dropped the throw on the sofa and crossed to a door on the far side of the living room, which Ray surmised was the bathroom. In her absence, Ray walked to a large bookcase against one wall, hoping to find something to read once Beth retired. Scanning the titles, he soon discovered that the bookcase wasn't against the wall, it was the wall, an attractive hanging covering a gap that led to a small room on the other side. Beth emerged from the bath just as Ray was about to draw the hanging aside. He pulled his hand back as if burned.

"Ah, so you discovered my secret," she observed.

"Uh, I was looking for something to read and, er..." Ray began, knowing there was really no excuse for prying as Beth crossed to the bookcase and held the hanging aside for him to enter.

"There's actually no bedroom in this apartment so I just screened off this end of the living room." Beth explained, switching on a light next to the bed.

Ray looked around the cozy room, wanting desperately to make love to her in her bed, knowing it was impossible right now.

"Wow, this is, is, really...creative." Trying to keep his attention off the bed. "Well, I oughtta let you get some sleep."

Beth gave him a pillow and leaned into him for a kiss. Ray found it almost impossible to tear himself away from her lips, but somehow managed it.

"Goodnight, Ray."

"Goodnight, Beth, sleep well."

"I hope so, you too," she answered as he backed out of the room.

Ray checked the lock on the entry door and turned off the kitchen light before retiring to the sofa. He took off his shoes and lay back on the sofa, looking for the television remote. Finding it, he rose and went to the curtain to Beth's bedroom.

"Beth?" He asked quietly, not entering, but standing just outside

"Yeah? Is everything okay?"

"Would it bother you if I turned on the TV?"

"Not at all," Beth's disembodied voice replied.

"Ok...thanks,"

Ray settled back down on the sofa and turned the television on. He surfed for a while, hoping to find something that might hold his interest, but failing, finally settling on a documentary on the arctic. He thought he'd pick up something useful to discuss with Fraser, but fell asleep long before he learned anything of interest.

He woke sometime in the deep of the night to the soft murmur and blue light of the TV. He rolled over intending to go back to sleep, but was soon interrupted by his cell phone. It was Officer Hernadez informing him that they were leaving the scene, but that a cruiser would keep an eye out for looters until morning when the broken windows could be boarded up. Ray thanked him and tried to go back to sleep. He was distracted by the memory of Beth's kiss, how her impatience for him aroused him and he felt himself stiffen at the thought. What he'd left unfinished earlier this evening returned with a vengeance and his erection begged for attention.

Ray took some tissues from the box on the end table and shut his eyes. He'd try to make this as quick as possible, recalling how Beth's tongue had felt in his mouth and how she'd sucked on his. He felt his excitement climb at the memory of Ben and Laura, how she'd ridden him with abandon as Ben had helped her along. He imagined how Beth would look in the same position, nearing orgasm as he stroked her. He was ready now, aroused enough that he should come quickly. He lay on his side, the throw covering him as he quietly unzipped his slacks and drew out his swollen cock. Using the small amount of natural lubrication available to him, he stroked his fingers under and around the head, feeling it pulse under his fingers almost immediately. Focusing on how Ben and Laura sounded as they came together was all it took in his state and he shuddered repeatedly with the strength of his orgasm, though he remained silent except for the harsh rasp of his breath. Wadding up the evidence in even more tissues, he shoved them into his pocket, then put himself to rights and zipped his fly. He'd flush the tissues when he used the toilet in the morning. It was only a few moments later that his breathing slowed and he went back to sleep, the television maintaining its monotonous vigil.