This is my first story about Due South. It takes place in the middle of the second season as I like the first Ray better. Standard disclaimer applied. Wish they were mine. Oh well. Rated G no swearing or stuff like that and a brief mention of the Jerry Springer Show (not mine either). Medical discrepancy likely but I tried. E-mail to whit28@hotmail.com Hope you enjoy!



        Red Spots Don’t Suit You

    By Rebecca W.

        Ray Vecchio bounded up the stairs to Fraser’s apartment, knocking slightly. He then flung open the door and entered. He fully expected to see Benton Fraser up and dressed, even at quarter to six in the morning. But Benton was still sound asleep with the covers draped over his head.
        “Benny, times a wasting. Bulls final tickets are on sale this morning and I need your presence to help me get some.” He said excitedly.
        Ben let out a slight moan to let him know that he heard that from under the covers. “I thought you’d be up already and have Deif fed and walked.” Ray said walking towards the bed.
        Ben pulled the sheets down off his face and started itching his forearm which was covered in red spots. “Sorry, I think something bit me last night.”
        Ray was flabbergasted as the sunlight filtered into his apartment and shown brightly on his face. Ben’s face was covered in spots also. “Oh my God.....”
        “What’s wrong Ray?” Ben stopped itching and looked up at Ray’s horrified face.
        “You look like you have the chicken pox. You have had the chicken pox haven’t you?”
        He thought for a second. “No.” He said looking quizzically at Ray.
        “What don’t they have chicken pox in Canada?”
        “Yes Ray.” as he looked at his arms legs and feet.
        “You are going to be so ill judging from the amount you have already. I’m surprise you aren’t full blown sick yet. I still remember when I had them, I was in fourth grade, so I was about ten and well I had them real bad too. I was so uncomfortable, I remember not being able to.....hey what are you doing?” He watched Benny get up from the bed.
        “Getting ready.” Ben said as he slipped into the bathroom and put on his trousers.
        “Benny you have a contagious disease. You have to stay inside.” Ray knew that wasn’t going to go over well.
        “I’m fine Ray, really.”
        “Did you look in the mirror while you were in there?”
        “Yes Ray.”
        “Your fine because the fever and stuff hasn’t hit yet. Your an infection control problem.”
        “I’ll be fine.”
        “You can’t go to work looking like that, you shouldn’t be near the Consulate either. The Dragon lady is going to have a fit. You are going to be so sick that you won’t due any good being there. I can’t even take you to get Bulls tickets with me.”
        “What if its not?” He said straightening the bed.
        “I had them before and so have a lot of my nieces and nephews. Its something you won’t forget. Believe me unless you’ve been rolling around in poison ivy.”
        “That’s just silly Ray.” He finished putting on his Sam Brown belt and fixing his lanyard.
“Okay ready to go Ray.”
        “To the doctor’s maybe.”
        “Nonsense Ray I’m fine.” He headed for the door as Deif and Ray followed.
        “There’s no talking you out of this, great.” He said throwing up his hands as they got into the car.
        “Since you won’t listen tome about staying home then you will have to go with me to get the tickets, I need ten. We can only buy 6 each. There we can call the Consulate and tell them you are sick and aren’t coming in, deal?”
        “Ray?”
        “Deal?”
        “Only if I get real sick with a fever.”
        “Okay, then we will go to the doctors.”
        They drove to Union Area to buy tickets for the play-offs. The line was out the door. Ray used his power of the police force to butt ahead of the line and the windows were finally open. Ray bought the limit on the ticket and made Fraser buy them too.
        “I thought you only needed 10, Ray?”
        “I need extras just in case.”
        “Okay.”
        “What’s wrong with your face?” asked the window attendant as Benton stepped to the window.
        “A bad case a acne.” Ray butted in with a smile.
        Benton finished purchasing the tickets. Ray it was really unfair...” He stopped mid sentence when he suddenly felt dizzy. “Ray , I’m a bit woozy.” He reached to grab the wall to stabilize himself , then glided his hand along the wall for extra support.
        “Time to go to the doctors then.”
        Benton changed his tune. “I’m still mostly okay, just a little dizzy.” He checked his forehead. It was slightly warm. “See no fever Ray. Time to go to the Consulate.”
        “Fine, okay whatever. Be sick.” Ray shook his head, obviously upset.
        They stopped at the Consulate as Benton’s balance was now quite a bit off. “Glad you have spots on your face because she would probably think you’ve been drinking the way you are walking.”
        “I’m totally fine.”
        Ray gave him a dirty look as they entered the Consulate. In the Consulate, Meg was busy doing paperwork at her desk looking a bit distraught. “Good Morning Inspector.” Ben said cheerfully.
        “Morning Constable, you are on sentry now.” She said throughly enthralled with her paperwork not even glancing up.
        Ray cleared his throat. “Morning Detective.” She again didn’t look up.
        “Umm.. You really need to look at something.” Ray blurted out.
        “It better be important.” She said finally glancing up. “What?” Looking right through Benton.
        “Are you looking at his face?”
        “Who’s face?”
        “Constable Fraser’s” he was getting annoyed at the fact she wasn’t paying attention to them.
        “It’s covered in spots!” She looked at Ray “This better not be a joke because I don’t think its’s funny, there is just too much going on today.”
        “That’s why you are guarding the Consulate.” Ray whispered to Ben.
        “I assure you sir, it’s not.”
        “What on earth are the spots from?” She said getting right to the point. “I just got a call that we are having important guess tonight and this will not do Constable. Pierre and Manon Daignault are visiting for the night and I need some one to show them around Chicago. What are they going to think?”
        “We suspect it’s the chicken pox.”
        “You have to be kidding, you have had the chicken pox before, right Constable?”
        “No, sir.”
        She shook her head and brought her hands to her face. “It can’t get any worse, can it. Ray I don’t suppose you could help out with foreign...”
        “I would love to help out foreign relations but if it’s about tonight. I have play-off tickets to the Bulls game. With them in the Finals, there’s nothing going to keep me from there.”
        Dizziness engulfed Benton as the fever was starting to rise. He got rather shaky on his feet as he almost fell over. Ray caught him, stabilized him and helped him sit in a nearby chair. “What are they visiting for?” They both asked ignoring Ben’s falter.
        “I got news from Ottawa that these important guest will be in town tonight and tonight only . They want to do something in Chicago while they are here. Obviously he can’t that them anywhere .” She said with disgust.
        “Then I guess its up to you.” Ray said with some sarcasm.
        She rolled her eyes. “Yeah just what I need.”
        Benton was feeling worse by the minute. All the color had now drained from his face and he felt very weak. He leaned over in the chair to try to collect himself closing his eyes as nausea swept through his body.
        “Isn’t it your duty to show distinguished guests around?”
        “That would be logical but I’m leaving for a conference tomorrow morning and need time to prepare and get a good nights sleep. So you see I can’t detective.”
        “Pardon me .” Benton said as he got up and staggered into the bathroom.
        They both looked at each other. “You need to get him out of here.” She said to Ray. “I can’t have a sick Mountie around with all this going on. We got to prepare.”
        Ray was just going to say, that’s why you were going to have him guard the Consulate when.....Thud! The sound came from the bathroom. “Oh my God...what the...” They both ran into the bathroom to see that Fraser fell on the floor.
        “Are you okay?” they both said.
        “I’m...” He rubbed his head, he didn’t know what hurt more his head or his ego. “Okay.”
        “Really do you like sitting on the bathroom floor after throwing up?” Ray said sarcastically. “Is it comfortable?”
        He tried to pull himself up to a standing position but his head was swimming as he plopped back down. Both Meg and ray saw him try, so they pulled him up and got him to a chair. Fraser was shaking. “Ray I don’t feel good.”
        “Gee really? I would think not. Can’t say I didn’t tell you so.”
        “Could this get any worse?” Meg said, “What are we going to do with him? He’s unsteady and vomiting.”
        “That’s a nice attitude.”
        “I meant someone should be taking care of him , Detective. He would take care of us if we were sick. But both of us are so busy not to mention the guests that are coming this evening. My head is starting to ache.”
        “Why don’t you tell the guests not to come, that now is not a good time.”
        “I can’t anymore than me getting out of this conference tomorrow. When they come they expect us to be ready.”
        “Where’s Turnbull?”
        “On vacation. He needed this week for a festival in Whitehorse . I didn’t ask why. I didn’t want to know. Can’t you take him, have him sit at the station or something?”
        Ray thought for a moment. “ the station is a horrible idea. Too many people and no where to relax. If I were sick I would want to be at home with....hey, why not at my house. Frannie would love to take care of the Mountie for the night. She’s crazy about him. She’d love it.”
        “That might work.” Ignoring the fact that someone else might like Fraser because she was too busy thinking. “And you said you have tickets to the Bulls game tonight, why not take them there?” It might be a good experience for them. If that is you have extra tickets?”
        “Sure I do. But what do Canadians know about basketball? I thought you guys only knew ice related sports like hockey and that sport with a broom.....curling.”
        “Canada has NBA basketball teams Ray.” Fraser reminded him.
        “Don’t remind me. It’s bad enough that there are baseball teams there too.”
        She thought about mentioning the travesty of all the US hockey teams especially in the south but choose to get down to business. “You wouldn’t happen to have two extra tickets I can pay you for?” She smiled devilishly .
        “It will cost you.” he smiled back knowing wwhat she was talking about.
        “Wouldn’t that be...”
        “Shut up Fraser.” they both said.
        The two left the room to discuss the terms of the ticket sale. “Fair enough.” He could hear Ray say as they opened th door.
        “Okay well that’s settled and now about Fraser and Frannie.”
        “Ray, I’m really okay. Just take me home, please.”
        “You are not okay and won’t be okay for awhile, I’m taking you to the doctor and then to see my sister. Sorry about inflicting Frannie on you but she will try to make you comfortable. Hopefully with her clothes on.” he muttered the last part
        Ray made some phone calls to the doctor’s and his house. An apppointment was made and there was no answer at his house. “Oh great she is probably out with ma shopping.” he put the cell phone away.
        Ray helped Fraser get up as he insisted for the umpteenth time that he was okay and headed out the door. Deif trailed along. “I have to stop at the station to at least make my presence and where abouts known. Then it will be right on time for your appointment.”
   
        He stopped at the station to get some paperwork he needed to fill out and drop off at various places. “I’ll be back shorty.” He yelled to Welsh .
        “You better.” He yelled back.
        At the doctor’s they waited for them to call Benton’s name. Benny started to itch the bumps on his arm by rubbing the red serge.
        “Will you stop that.”
        “I can’t Ray, its driving me nuts.”
        “You know if you itch that it will get infected and you will get ugly scars.”
        “Benton Fraser.” The nurse called.
        Benton got up and heaed tothe back with Ray following. “Are you okay?”
        “Ray stop asking I’m fine.”
        “That’s not what the doctor’s going to say. “ as Ray shook his head and sat on the chair next to the examining table.
        “Put this on, the doctor will be with with you shortly.” She said handing him the gown and taking his vitals. “Looks like you have the chicken pox there.”
        “I told you.”
        Fraser changed quickly and propped himself on the examining table. He looked tired and drained. His face was pale behind those red spots as he started to itch again.
        “Stop that.”
        “But Ray...”
        “I told you what would happen earlier, you’ll get scars.”
        The doctor entered and looked at him. Right away he said it was the chicken pox, to no ones surprise. Dr Jack Landon told him to get plenty of rest and to take ibprofen for the fever and to drink plenty of fluids. He would need at least a week to recover. “Remember no itching the spots and because of your age and severity of this case you may get very ill. If your condition worsen or is not improving after 24 hours please see me or go to the ER.”
        “Why do you think I was here.” Benton retorted after the doctor left.
        “Ray was shocked that Benny was so nasty. “Benny you aren’t that sick yet. You have the potential that’s why you can’t stay alone.”
        “But that’s the only spot I want to be.”
        “I know but we can’t take that chance.”
        Ben scowled at Ray. Ray was not use to the Mounties agitated demeanor. He knew it was the fever talking, that Fraser was not use to being sick and was hard for him to accept it. As they got into the car Ray called his house again. Still there was no answer. He was cursing. “I have to get back to the station and I can’t take him there. There far too many people there.”
He thought for a second and drove to the Consulate. Its the only place were there was quiet and few bodies.
        Ray and Benton entered the Consulate with Deif following, it was now close to noon and Ray was starving.
        “How did you make out at the doctors?” Inspector Thatcher asked.
        “The chicken pox.” Ray answered, “The doctor said he might get real sick so I want him to be with someone. If his fever gets too high give him some Ibprofen.”
        Benton was unusually quiet. His eyes lookd heavy as he held on to the wall. “Ray” he whispered, “I need to lie down now.”
        “Can you watch Fraser for awhile? I called the house again, there was no answer. I have to find out where they went then I will swing by and pick him up. I gotta get back to the station. Thanks.” He helped Fraser sit down then walked away before she could say anything.
        “Well that’s very nice.” she said sarcastically.
        His eyes were closing, falling asleep upright in the chair as Ray left the Consulate. She looked up and just stared at him. How peaceful he looked with his eyes shut, looking past the red spots to see the soft features of his face. He needs to be more comfortable, she thought, as she contemplated the best spot for him. It didn’t take long as she thought at the couch in the other room. It would be perfect, as she nudged him awake. “Fraser, let’s go somewhere more comfortable.”
        He shook his head yes, Helping him up, he gided his other arm against the wall for support. “It’s really cold in here.”
        “I think its the fever, Fraser, it’s comfortable in here.”
        He finally made it to the coach as she then helped him take off his red serge. She found a blanket to cover him up in. Sleep came easy to him as she still situated the blanket on him then took a seat next to him. The blanket was up to his chin so only his pallor face was showing. She sat for several minutes, then noticing this wasn’t accompliting much she got her work in the other room and got her lunch. She ate and then went back to her work. She would have asked him if he was hungry but he was so out of it . Periodically, she would check on him as she noticed his fever getting worse. She reached into her purse and pulled out a bottle of Ibprofen. “Here Frase, take these.” She said handing him the medicine and helping him take it.
        He was delirious, so not arguing about taking it. After , he tossed and turned a lot and mumbled as he dreamed. She would suddenly look up at him as he mumbled. She loved looking at his defined muscles on his upper torso. The perspiration on his forehead glistened in the light as it wet the tips of his hair. The fever hd broke for the moment , the pills must be working. He opened his eyes as he moved ever so slightly to another position. His sullen blue eyes met hers. “How are you feeling?” She asked lightly touching his face and forehead, she realized just how warm he still was.
        He propped himself up a little and looked around. “Where am I?”
        “Your at the Consulate, Constable. Now go back to sleep that’s an order.”
        He lowered himself back down to a more relaxed state as he started to itch. “No,no,no you can’t do that.”
        “But...”
        “Your making it worse.”
        He turned his head. “I feel so lousy.”
        “That’s normal.” she went back to her paperwork to avoid eye contact again as she wanted to hug him.
        “Sorry.”
        “Sorry for what?” She looked up at him.
        “For being sick, and showing up here this morning. I guess I’m making a lot of trouble for you. I should have listened to Ray.”
        He could see the genuine caring in her eyes s she spoke. “You’re no trouble really.” She paused and continued. “Listen Fraser, I do care about you and concern for your....well.....your well being. I don’t mean to be harsh as I do but I have this image to keep up. I want to tell you that....” She looked away, “I love you.” As softly as she could speak.
        He just stared back at her, she looked at him not quite sure what was absorbed and what wasn’t. He looked a bit out of it. He slowly closed his eyes and fell back to sleep again.
        The phone rang and it was Ray. “Sorry Inspector my mother and Frannie are staying out til late tonight, so staying there is out for now. How is he doing by the way? Having him clean the Consulate?”
        “He’s been sleeping most of the time. You think I would be that cruel?”
        “I don’t know, you could. Hey if you are just packing , well that’s still an undertaking and I don’t know....”
        “What are you babbling about.”
        “Taking him home for abit till I get back from the game.”
        “But I’m his superior officer that wouldn’t look...”
        “I’m doing you a favor you know. Who’s going to care or know?”
        “Okay, okay I’ll take him home.”
        “Thanks, so when is what’s their face coming?”
        “Oh my God, I forgot about them. They’re arriving in about 45 minutes. Thanks detective that would have been a major problem is no one was there to pick them up.”
        She told him the gate and flight number and a description. “Thanks again for reminding me and picking them up.” as Benton stirred from his state of slumber.
        “I’m going home now?” he asked in a gentle raspy voice.
        “No Ben, you are coming home with me.”
        His eyes widdened, he had never heard her call him Ben before and what was this about going to her place? “What about Deif?” He said as Deif was laying on the floor next to the couch as he had all afternoon.
        “He’s coming too.”
        She wasn’t fond of the wolf but she was letting him come too? I must be delirious he thought. I can’t really believe she would allow this to happen, but he was too weak to argue. She helped him sit upright and grabbed his red serge. He looked horrified, “No please, not the serge, I’m icthy enough.” He said with his eyes half open and his hair now tousled.
        He was limp as a rag doll as the perspiration slid down his face till he wiped some of it from his brow. She helped him to his feet after he collected himself a bit. He noticed how strong she was for her size as she helped him out of the Consulate and into the car. He staggered and swayed some as the winds from a cool spring day blew around them. He shivered violently as he entered the car and plopped into the seat.
        After entering her house, she changed into something more comfortable, like a pair of sweats then pulled out her suitcase to pack. It was supper time and she offered Benton something to eat and drink but he wasn’t in the mood for anything but sleep. She gave him more medicine and he dozed off on the couch. After she finished supper she commented. “I wish I could be there to at least greet them instead of sending an American.” She said outloud.
        Benton was still on the couch sleeping, or so she thought, wrapped in many blankets. The fresh air was too much to take, the chills and shaking wore him out. He was half awake and answered her question unexpectedly. “They’ll be fine with Ray. Do you know if they like basketball?”
        “Yes, they like all sports, I think most anyway. He wanted to go to some sporting event if there was one in town. I’m sure hockey is preferred but they aren’t playing.”
        “Yah its been awhile too. May I ask what they are doing in Chicago?”
        “They are going on a vacation to Hawaii. They figure if they stop for awhile, it would be better for their bodies to adjust.”
        “Sounds good.”
        “Hey how are you feeling? You’re coherent.”
        “Like I’ve been hit by a mac truck. I’m so weak.”
        “Are you hungry or thirsty?”
        “No food please. A drink would be nice.” He said as the fever broke again from the drug.
        She brought him some ginger ale. “Thank you, kindly.”
        She noticedhis cheeks were getting more flush. “You’re getting some color back.”
        He stumbled a bit to sit up for a sip. “This is the worse I think I have ever felt.”
        “Just rest then.” Continuing to pack.
        “Thank you sir.”
        “Please call me Meg away from the office.”
        “Thank you kindly Meg.”
        She looked at him, liking the sound of him calling her that. She had feelings for him from the moment they met. She tried to push him away at first so she didn’t have to deal with him but the more she did, the more she realized she wanted him. But she was his superior officer and it was right or was it? It was something to contemplate. He was, it seemed a bit naive to the ways of woman and such matters, thank God for small favors.
        “No, I really should be thanking you.”
        “For what?” he said curiously.
        “For your company. I’m not use to having guess over. I think you are the first one since coming to Chicago.”
        “I’m some guest. I’ve just lied around and slept.”
        “Just your presence has been fine.”
        He slouched back on the couch and fell back to sleep. She was concerned the Ibprofen wasn’t lasting long or that he wasn’t drinking that much. She would force him to take a couple of sips every so often.
        Ray called later to tell Meg the great time that was had by all and that her guests were now checked into a hotel by the airport already for their flight tomorrow. They were sorry they had missed her. He was also droppping by to pick up Faser so she could rest peacefully tonight. “I’m ordering him to stay away from the Consulate for a week because I’m not sure if Turnbull’s had them either.”
        “Sure thing, Inspector.”
        Ray took Benny and Deif to his place for some TLC from ma Vecchio with Frannie helping. They were back from their outing.
        Ray stopped at Benny’s apartment to pick up things to make him feel more comfortable like pajamas and also food for Deif.
        Benton was still quiet and out of it as they arrived at the Vecchio home. He had to drag Benny up the stairs and into the spare bedroom. “I suppose I will have to help you out of your clothes too.”
        Ben collasped on the bed without further ado and looked motionless. Ray looked at him. “Benny you are too big for me to do this.” As he tried to get his shirt off , he ended up just bunching it around his upper torso and neck.
        He was completely frustrated. “I’m a cop not a nurse.” He said. “MA!!.” he yelled exiting the room.
        “Mom’s asleep stop yelling!?” Frannie said in a loud whisper.
        “Frannie I need your help. I want to make Benny more comfortable but I can’t get him undressed.
        “Frannie’s eyes lit up as big as saucers. “I’ll help.”
        “What do you know about it.”
        “I watch Maria’s kids all the time, they are constantly needing changing or something. Fraser’s just um..bigger.” She was elated inside at the prospect of getting to see him unclothed.
        “Okay fine. Help me get this off of him.” He said directing to the bunched up shirt.
        They both worked together to get those red pajamas on, then finally relaxed. “What are all those red spots on him and what’s wrong with him?”
        “Other than the usual, he has the chicken pox.”
        “Chicken Pox? Isn’t that mostly a childhood disease?”
        “Yes, unless you didn’t get it as a child. It’s probably a rarity in the arctic. Guess we should keep Maria younger kids away.”
        “They are at his mother’s this weekend.”
        “I wondered were they where. Good.”
        “Ray, he doesn’t look so good.”
        “He’s sick.”
        “I know but aren’t you concerned that he didn’t move much when we were putting his pajamas on. Shouldn’t he be a little more conscious.”
        “Maybe he’s a sound sleeper?”
        Frannie just looked at him enough to say since when, I heard about the stakeouts. “Okay he’s not.” he answered back.
        That scared Ray, as he felt his forehead. “Frase...Fraser.” he said patting his face.”
        Frannie came back with a cool washcloth and a thermometer. Sticking the thermometer
in his mouth she placed the washcloth on his forehead as Ben stirred slightly to the relief of Ray. It was now nearing midnight as thermometer beeped. “I’m okay Ray.” He said opening his eyes.
        “Your temperature says your boarderline of going tothe hospital.”
        Frannie got some Ibprofen for Ben to take and soon he was sweating indicating the fever was going down. He was thirsty and a bit hungry, so they both scrambled to find him something. “Just toast please will be fine. I can’t stomache anything else.” He said.
        His face was flush but he was still was so weak. He ate four slices of toast and some ginger ale. He joined Frannie and Ray in the living room were Frannie was watching Jerry Springer. “Feeling better?”
        “Yes, I just hope the toast stays down.” He said looking strangely at the show. “Is this suppose to be a talk show?”
        “Yep.” answered Ray.
        “Why are they fighting and throwing things?” He plopped himself on the couch next to Ray.
        “This Benny, is one of American’s rights, freedom of speach working here. A great cultural influence and its produced right here in the windy city.”
        “Is that....”
        “Yup, we busted her for prostitution a month ago.”
        “Ray this is a horrible show.”
        “American trash airing their dirty laundry publicly, what could be better.”
        “I personally think its interesting. You know if I think I have a problem, I like to watch it then I’m glad I’m not one of them and feel better.”
        “I don’t care Frannie.” Ray piped up.
        “I wasn’t talking to you.”
        Benton found himself asleep before the end of the show as Ray and Frannie helped him to bed then they both went to bed themselves.
        The night went awful for Ben who found himself half awake and sick to his stomache. He tried togo back to sleep but he was getting increasingly more nauseous. He sat up and dizziness overwhelmed him. He was confused and disoriented as he tried to muster enough balance to stay vertical. *He just wished there wasn’t so much snow to trudge throught to get to the outhouse* he thought while he was dreaming. *This is some cold spell, rubbing his arms to keep warm.*
        He threw up on the floor. *Couldn’t make it too tired.* He bent down and almost fell over so he sank to the ground. *Cold so Cold.* He threw up in his lap as the taste of bile was present. *Shouldn’t have eaten so much bannock.* His head was pounding and was too weak to move. *I’ll just take a little nap and continue later.*
        Ray awoke feeling that he had to check on Benny. He ran downstairs and flicked on a living room light then entered the room. The overpowering odor of emesis hit him. “Oh my God, Benny?”
        Benny was either sleeping or unconscious on the floor of the living room with vomit in his lap and on the floor. Ray felt his forehead and shook him to wake him up. The repugnant odor was so strong Ray had to leave breifly to get some air or he was going to vomit too. He got a bucket and some water to clean up the noxious substance on the floor and wipe what he could from off of Benny. “Leave me alone Deif.” Benny said stirring a bit.
        “Benny it’s me Ray, you are at my house. How are you feeling? Still sick to your stomach?”
        Ben shook his head no then held his hand to his head. “Ray, I don’t feel so good.”
        “Really I would have never guessed.” he said sarcastically but was glad that he did admit he was sick. “You are going to the hospital.”
        He was almost in tears. “Yes Ray.”
        Ray picked him up and sat him in a chair. “I’ll get you a pair of sweats buddy, be right back.”
        “Frannie... Frannie I’m taking Fraser tothe hospital.” He poked her after entering her room.
        “That’s nice.” She said rolling over and going back to sleep.
        He went back down the stairs and helped Fraser change then loaded him into the car. Then they drove to the hospital.
        “Ray I’m going to be...” He said sitting in the passenger seat.
        “Not in here you aren’t.” Ray pulled the car over to let Fraser throw up on the side of the road.
        It was about 5 am and the ER was quiet as they entered and Fraser was put on a gurney. Vitals were taken and x-rays were ordered. Ray sat in the waiting room alone with a cup of coffee in hand. The TV was on and there was only infomercials, he was so tired he didn’t care.
        “Would you like to come in?” He heard a voice say and followed it.
        Benton was sleeping again, Ray wished he was curled up next to him. He stared at the doctor, his eyes glassy from lack of sleep, as the doctor spoke. “Your friend has complications due tothe chicken pox. We took x-rays and they showed fluid in his lungs which indicates he’s got a form of pnemonia. He also appears to be severely dehydrated which is why he’s so disoreinted. I’m going to admit him to get fluids and antibiotics in him.”
        Oh great, he thought, I’m too tired for this. He went tothe vending machine to get more coffee, hopefully to help him stay awake. There was a few people in the waiting room now. A few of them were crying. Glad I’m a cop, I couldn’t take the emotional strain, it was bad enough that Fraser was here.
  Ray collasped into the chair after they got him settled into a room. An IV had been placed in his arm. It was now close to 8 am and he figured his mother would be wondering were her Ramondo was. He decided to get up and find a pay phone.
        “Hi mom.....Benny and I are at the hospital....No, no mom its not serious... Benny had the chicken pox yesterday and it turned into pnemonia ...I’m fine mom just tired...no I want to be here...okay for a few hours ....Bye mom.”
        He walked backto the room, he was feeling more awake now, the coffee was finally kicking in. To his surprise, Benny was just opening his eyes. “Where am I?”
        “At the hospital, you have pnemonia and dehydration.”
        “Thought I had the chicken pox?” he looked at the room and scratched his arm.
        “Stop doing that. Do you remember coming here last night?”
        He closed his eyes. “I remember snow, walking, nausea.”
        “Snow? Its the end of May.”
        “Oh.” He said looking at his arm with the IV.
        “How are you feeling?”
        “Fine Ray.” He said.
        “I don’t think so or you wouldn’t be here. I mean are you feverish, sick to your stomach, stuff like that.”
        “That’s just complaining.”
        Ray shook his head as he heard his family come strolling down the hall. Their loud voices echoed down the corridor. “Oh no, here comes the cavalry.” Ray cringed.
        “Oh Benny, are you okay?” His mother and Frannie said and hugged him.
        His family brought food but Benton wasn’t in the mood to eat and was blushing at all this attention. Ray decided to leave at that point. “Bye Benny, I’m getting some sleep. I’ll be back later.” Knowng full well they wouldn’t leave him alone if he didn’t.
        Sleep felt good as he crashed on the bed. He awoke suddenly tothe sound of everybody in the house. It was 5pm. Oh my God Fraser. He stumbled to his feet, he smelled his mothers cooking and grabbed some as he ran out of the house to see Benny. He was starving, he ate as he drove.

        “Hi Benny, you’re looking better.”
        “Feeling better too. I ate some supper. How’s Deif?” Benton said, holding a crossword puzzle book.
        “I don’t know, I think someone was playing with him when I left.”
        “Ray did you just wake up? You look tired and sort of pale to me.”
        “Yah, I was. You know with going to the game last evening and then coming here I was exhausted.”
        “How did they do?”
        “The basketball or the guests?”
        “Both.”
        “It was great. They had a lot of fun and they won.....” he suddenly stopped. “I’ll be right back.” He said bolting to the bathroom.
        Benton could here Ray retching. He came out looking pale and disheveled. “Something didn’t sit well.”
        “I’d say not.”
        “So when are they going to let you out of here?” Hesaid changing the subject.
        “Tomorow they hope. I’m feeling much better. I’m still a little weak but okay.”
        “That’s great Benny.”
        
        The next day Benny was released from the hospital only to fine Ray in bed sick. “Think I caught a virus hanging around the hospital run down like that.”
        “That’s easy enough to get.”
        “At least I don’t have the chicken pox.”
        “I’m doing better and finally not itching as bad.”
        With Ray sick he was busy taking care of him and staying away from the Consulate as the Inspector told him too. Turnbull got back and was at the Consulate on Monday he never had the chicken pox either. He was lost with out Fraser there and was calling him all the time. Ray kidded him by calling him the Candian version of Erma Bombeck. The Inspector did call to see how he was doing.
        Once Benton was back at the Consulate Ray had to laugh when Benton was on sentry. He looked funny with those chicken pox scars for a long while.

The end.