For those of you that were at RCW 139 '98 you know where I got this idea from. What can I say, David inspires me! For those of you who weren't, you missed a really great time!

Standard disclaimers apply...yadda, yadda, yadda... please don't sue.... blah, blah, blah. Won't do you any good anyway, you can't get blood from a stone.

E-mail to onyxbt@hotmail.com

The Call

-By Kimberly Parker

Ray Vecchio sat at his desk, rearranging everything for the umpteenth time. Being back at work after such a long absence was extremely awkward, and he had no idea what to do with himself. He had files on his desk that needed attention, but he could not get his mind to focus on them. Things were just not the same any more. And he knew exactly why. Things would never be the same again.

First of all there was his promotion to deal with. After his part in bringing down the Iguana family and helping to nail Bolt's associates he had been given the rank of Detective-Lieutenant. It meant not only more responsibility, but also a considerable pay raise. Unfortunately it also meant a little more time behind the desk. That was okay for now, he could use a little less excitement for a while. Especially without his usual partner to back him up.

There was also the adjustment of being back in Chicago after his three-month absence in Florida. The Feds thought that was the best place to stash him for a while until the entire Iguana family could be apprehended. He had to lay low in a bowling alley for a while, but the company had been pleasant. States Attorney Stella Kowalski had been chosen to prosecute the case, and since he had the info she needed, she had been with him through most of his debriefing. They enjoyed each others company and had become quite good friends. Ray even had heard rumors that the two of them had eloped. That made them both laugh, for they were nothing more than friends. But the Feds thought it might help his cover, so they let the rumor spread unchecked. No harm, no foul.

What had surprised him though were the other changes that had occurred while he was in Florida. For one thing Huey and Dewey had opened up a comedy club. It was only barely breaking even each month, but at least they were trying. They also seemed to be genuinely enjoying themselves with it. Since Ray was now their ranking officer he allowed them to arrange their schedules so they could be at their club part of the time. As long as it didn't interfere with their police work it was fine. Besides, the club was becoming quite the police hang out. Ray even went there himself from time to time. Sometimes the two Detectives could be real funny. Sometimes.

Another change was the fact that his kid sister Francesca was engaged to a certain Mountie. He heard that they had dated once or twice but he never thought it was that serious. He had tried to discourage her once away from his "type" but it hadn't worked, so why try now. She obviously never listened. Who knows, she and Turnbull may truly be happy together, he thought. As it was they were already picking names for the half dozen or so children they planned to have. The thought of not only being related to Turnbull but also having nieces and nephews by the man made Ray shiver.

Ray glanced up at the clock. He had a few more hours to kill before he could leave at a respectable hour. Captain Welsh would pitch a fit if he thought Vecchio was shirking out on his duties. Welsh was even more unrelenting now that he was a Captain. But at least Ray knew that now there was some one in the big wig crowd that was looking out for the regular officers. Some one who still remembered what it was like to have your nose to the grindstone. Ray was glad Captain Welsh was in charge of the 27th.

But the biggest change of all for Ray was his new partner. He was not good at working with partners, save one, and the guy he was suck with now was a far cry from what he was used to. If any could say they could ever become used to Fraser. He missed his friend after the Mountie had decided to stay in Canada. Not that he could blame him. He knew how much his friend missed home, and that his posting to the Consulate in America was temporary. If you could call four and a half years temporary. Ray was actually happy for his friend, but that did little to relieve he slight loneliness the absence of his friend had left. He had barley gotten to say good-bye, just like last time. The "Go get him Benny," and later a letter telling Ray of his decision to stay in Canada was all he had heard. Something about an adventure. Boy that Mountie was weird. Ray decided missing Fraser was normal and resolved to give him a call. Assuming he could track him down. Lord knew there were probably no phones where Benny was. He'd have to find him some how though; he was a Detective after all.

The phone on Ray's desk rang, interrupting his thoughts. It was probably bad news. Luckily he was wrong.

"Vecchio."

"Hello Ray."

"Benny?"

"Yes Ray."

"Hey Benny, how ya doin'?"

"Oh, you know Ray, I've got clean air, good food, everything a Mountie could want."

"Yeah? And how's Stanley? He freeze off anything important yet?"

"I wouldn't know Ray, he's not with me. Although the last time I saw him he seemed quite well."

"What do you mean he's not with you? Then where the heck is he?"

"Actually he's with my sister Maggie right now. We stopped by to visit her a few weeks ago and the two of them seemed to hit it off better than they did in Chicago. He decided he'd rather look for the hand of Franklin with her. She seemed to agree."

"No kiddin'?" Ray went off into a fit of laughter. He had heard something about Fraser having a sister now, but he had no idea Stanley and she had the hots for one another. "I can't believe it, Kowalski and your sister. You'd better watch out for this one Benny."

"Actually Ray, Stan is a fine man. I can't think of anyone else I'd rather have date my sister."

"Date? Is that what they call it up there in Canada?"

"RAY!"

Again Ray let out a laugh before letting Fraser off the hook. "Alright, alright!" He let out a relaxing sigh; "It's real good to hear from you, Benny."

"It's good to hear you too Ray." There was a brief pause. "I just called to say thank you Ray."

Ray was a little confused. "For what Benny?"

"For everything Ray."

"Everything?"

"Yes. Everything"

"Oh." Ray smiled. "You're welcome to everything. And thank you too, Benny." A comfortable pause followed. They both knew what they meant. They always had.

"Hey Benny, if ever you're in Chicago again, don't forget you've got a place set at a big Italian dinner with the family waiting for you."

Ben smiled from ear to ear. "Thanks Ray. And, if ever you should find yourself in the North West Territories, you'll have a hot meal and a warm place by the fire here for you."

"Thanks Benny. I appreciate it."

"You're more than welcome Ray."

Another pause. Either were smiling too big to get any words out. Ray spoke first.

"Benny, I just want you to know that I'll keep in touch. You understand that right? That I will keep in touch."

Ben smirked at Ray's obvious reference to a similar phone call they had so long ago. But he also knew it was sincere. "Yes. Understood Ray. As will I. That's what best friends do."

"Yeah, it is Benny." This was getting a little too heavy, Ray decided to lighten the mood. "Hey, ah, Benny, I got some vacation time coming up in few months. I was gonna go to some place warm, like Florida, but I think I've had more than enough of Florida. So I was thinking of heading North of here. You know, maybe a place where a guy could get in a little skiing, dog sledding... cabin building."

Ben couldn't keep the grin off his face if he tried. Not that he wanted to. "Well, I've practically finished rebuilding the cabin Ray."

"Oh." Ray couldn't keep the disappointment from his voice.

Ben continued. "Well, except for the bathroom of course. I haven't really started that yet. I don't have any fixtures."

Ray beamed. "That could be a problem, Fraser. I'll have to fix that."

"I'm looking forward to it."

"Do you still have that ax for me? Or will I have to bring my own?"

"No, Ray. I have two axes."

"Great. So now I can scratch ax of my shopping list." They both laughed.

"So how are things down at the Precinct?" Ben asked.

"Oh, you know pretty quiet." As two officers brought a struggling cursing suspect past his desk. "It's not the same though."

"Things rarely are Ray."

"Did I tell ya? I got a new partner now. Orders from up stairs. Like they ever know what's going on."

"Ah. How is he working out?"

"Well, you know, he's different. Okay I guess. But it's just not the same."

Ben knew exactly what he meant. "Its not the same here either Ray."

"I'm glad you called Benny. I missed ya. Its good to hear your voice."

"Its good to hear you too, Ray."

"See you in a couple months Fraser."

"Fine Ray, I'll see you soon."

"Bye."

"Good-bye Ray."

They both hung up, a small smile on each of their faces. They were both looking forward to the months ahead. Best friends always keep in touch, no matter how far apart they are.

Ray sat at his desk after he hung up. He remembered all the times he and Fraser had been together, good and bad. God he missed Benny. Fraser was like a brother to him, but more. You could choose your friends, not your relatives. And still he and Benny were as close as two friends could be. Some how the few years he and Fraser spent together seemed like too short a time. But their friendship would last forever.

Ray sighed softly to himself, still in a good mood. It was really slow at the precinct on a Saturday. He got up to grab his coat. Somewhere in the Bullpen he could hear a radio softly playing. It seemed to be tuned to a country station.

'Yuck! Country music in Chicago? What is that person thinking?' the thought to himself. But without realizing, he found himself listening to it too. A song came on that he didn't recognize, but upon listening to the words he instantly loved it. Country was definitely not his style, although Fraser liked to listen to it. 'Huh' he thought, smiling, 'Fraser'. The song seemed to be about him and Fraser; the words floated melodiously into his ears.

Well you and I

We're buddies

And we've been since we first met

Me and you

Well we've sure been through

Our share of laughter and regret

Lord knows we've had our bad days

And more than once we've disagreed

But you've always been a friend to me

'Jeez, I can't believe this. Even thousands of miles away he's got me doing things I don't normally do. I'm listening to country music.' He couldn't help it though, he liked it.

He walked up to the desk where the offending radio sat, to find one of the new civilian aids. He could not remember her name, but she seemed pretty young, perhaps early to mid twenties. She looked up from her typing when she realized he was standing there.

"Hello Detective-Lieutenant," she said smiling brightly. "Is here something I can help you with?" Her brown eyes sparkled up at him.

'Wow she seems eager to please. Hope a few years in this place doesn't cure her of that.'

"Yeah, I was wondering if you could tell me the name of this song and who sings it?" he asked in a sweet voice.

She blinked, a slight furrow touching her brow. The question seemed to catch her off guard. "Oh. Its Garth Brooks, 'A Friend To Me.' Its from his latest CD."

"Thank you kindly, uh...."

"Simone," she stuck out her hand. "Simone Ramsey." The huge smile was back.

He shook her hand, "Ray Vecchio. You can call me Ray." The smile was apparently infectious. "Nice to meet you Ray."

"Like wise." He went to walk away. Then turned back, "What did you say the CD was?" He asked turning back to her.

"Oh. Here, wait," she said, reaching for a small piece of paper. She scribbled something on it. "It's the artist, song, and CD. You shouldn't have any trouble finding it." She handed him the paper, her warm smile visible still.

"Thanks again Simone."

"You're very welcome, sir. Uh...Ray." She giggled.

Ray walked out of the Bullpen, shoving the paper in his pocket. 'Garth Brooks? I've heard of him. I like that song about the "Friends in Low Places".' He would stop at a music store on the way home and pick up the CD. Not letting anyone know of course, he had a rep to protect.

He walked out of the precinct into the chilly autumn air. Gathering his coat closer to himself, he drew in a deep relaxing breath. He walked over to his new car. It was no Riv of course, but it got him around nicely. He slipped in behind the wheel and started the engine. Turning on the radio he soon found a country music station. He probably wouldn't be able to stand it for long but what the hey. Ray just sat in the car for a moment, letting it warm up and thinking of his best friend.

No, he hadn't really lost Fraser, because he meant every word he had said on the phone. He would see him again and he would come visit. Benny was, is, his best friend, and always will be. Even though they were far apart in distance, they would always be close. Ray remembered something he once said to Fraser, "Alone we're incomplete. But together we're better than we are separate." Yeah, he meant that too. Nothing could ever really separate them; not time or distance. Benny would always be his best friend, and he would always be Benny's. Just because, that's the way things were, forever.

He switched off the radio when the song he wanted didn't come on. That was fine, he could remember the tune already, and he played it in his head. The turned on the car's heater and pulled out of the space. He signaled and waited for traffic to pass.

Wouldn't Fraser be proud of him? He silently hummed the tune of the song to himself, swallowing pass the lump in his throat. 'I'll see ya soon Benny,' he thought to himself, and pulled out into traffic.

They had to go their separate ways, but they would never truly be apart.

 

THE END

 

Well you and I

We're buddies

And we've been since we first met

Me and you

Well we've sure been through

Our share of laughter and regret

Lord knows we've had our bad days

And more than once we've disagreed

But you've always been a friend to me

You can be so stubborn

There's times I think you just like to fight

And I hope and pray

I live to see the day

When you say I might be right

And there's times I'd rather kill you

Then listen to your honesty

But you've always been a friend to me

You've always been

Time and again

The one to take my hand

And show to me it's okay to be

Just the way I am

With no apology

Oh you've always been

And you will 'til God knows when

Yes you've always been a friend to me

 

Now was that too painful? Yes? Oh. But I think that was a much happier way to end it, with hopes for the future. Don't you? Well I'd really like comments from anyone who has them. Really! How else am I supposed to learn? And OK, I put myself in the story, but how else can one meet Ray Vecchio? -KIM :-)