All Characters are the property of the creators and producers of "Due South." No copyright infringement is intended. All new characters and situations are the sole property and responsibility of the author. October 6, 1996.

The Invitation

by Nancy Speiran

Ray picked up Ben in front of the consulate as usual, he hadn't been on guard duty, but he was waiting on the walk just the same.

"So Fraser, Ma wondered if you would like to come to dinner tonight? She knows it's last minute but..." Ray inquired as he pulled away from the curb.

"I'd love to Ray." Then Ben thought for a moment, maybe he had committed himself a little too rashly. It was too late now, he couldn't back out without drawing suspicion so he settled into his seat for the ride through town.

Ray glanced over at Fraser wondering what was going on behind that pensive look that had come across his face after accepting the dinner invitation. Fraser seemed to be off in a world of his own, his thumb running along his brow, staring out the window, seemingly oblivious to all that was going on around him.

Suddenly Fraser reached for the door handle, "Ray, stop the car!"

Fraser was swinging the door open by the time Ray found a safe spot to pull over.

"Fraser! What's the matter?" Ray yelled, but there was no one to hear him, he could see Fraser rounding a corner half a block away. Fraser's instincts had rarely failed him so Ray ran to catch up.

Fraser ran headlong down the narrow alley that separated the buildings. The object of his pursuit - a pick pocket he had observed snatching a wallet from a woman with two children in tow - nowhere in sight. As he approached the end of the alley he slowed to study the brickwork on his right for clues. He felt a presence behind him and heard a shout from Ray, "Fraser, look out!" at the same time.

Fraser turned slightly to see who was behind him and found his head coming into contact with a solid piece of wood. Ray was running full steam down the alley when he heard the sickening thud of the wood connecting with Fraser's head. Luckily the narrowness of the alley caused the club to catch on the wall and blunt the impact that Fraser felt. Still, it was enough to send Fraser to the ground momentarily stunned. On seeing Ray running in his direction the assailant took off with no hesitation.

Ray reached Fraser in a matter of seconds and helped him to his feet. "Are you alright? He really got a good shot at you!"

Shaking his head a little to clear it Fraser calmly replied, "I'm fine Ray, just disappointed that I didn't catch him. Did you see where he went?"

Ray just shook his head no and started to lead Ben back down the alley to the car. "Don't worry about it Fraser, thieves like him are a dime a dozen, he'll get picked up eventually, but I'll call it in anyway."

As they got into the car Ray made his call and Fraser sat in his seat gently fingering the point of impact. Ray looked over and said, "Are you sure you're okay?"

Fraser nodded gingerly and gave Ray a "hmmmm" for reply.

"I'll get ma to make up an ice pack and you can rest before dinner, how's that sound?"

"Fine, Ray." Fraser answered as they pulled back into traffic and continued their journey.

Suddenly Fraser shouted, "Stop the car, Ray!"

"Oh, come on Benny, how many good deeds do you have to do in one day!"

"Please Ray, stop the car, now!"

"Alright, alright, you don't have to get huffy!" said Ray only slightly exasperated since he was used to Fraser's ways.

Once again Fraser had the door already open by the time Ray had the car pulled up to the side of the road, only this time he didn't get out. Fraser swung the door wide, almost hitting a lamp post, which made Ray wince, and leaned out with his head down. Ray thought this was peculiar even for Benny until he heard the distinctive sound of someone vomiting. He immediately made his way around to Benny's side of the car. Ray crouched down beside his friend and laid a supportive hand on his shoulder until Fraser had nothing left to expel. When Ben raised his head Ray handed him his handkerchief. Fraser looked very pale and completely miserable.

"I'm sorry Ray." Fraser responded to the concerned look on Ray's face.

"Benny! you have nothing to be sorry for. Are you okay now?" he asked. Only Benny would apologize for something he had no control over. Of course Fraser would never believe that his body could betray him like this. "You don't look very well. I'm taking you to the hospital, that whack on the head obviously did more damage than you thought."

Fraser was forced to agree. When the nausea was creeping up on him, he had debated whether to try to wrestle it down and risk losing it in the car with his Stetson the only receptacle or getting Ray to pull over. He knew his hat would never be the same if he used it so he went for plan two. He looked up at Ray's face and saw only the concern and a large group of pedestrians who had gathered. Ray noticed his look and turned to see the crowd. "What, you never saw a Mountie being sick before? Get outta here!"

Ray helped Benny sit back up in his seat and went around to his own side. Starting up the engine he glanced over at Ben and shook his head. Fraser was trying to put on his best Mountie face, but Ray could see the sheen on his face, the trickle of sweat running down his brow and tightness around the eyes that meant Benny was not well at all.

Ray drove quickly to the nearest hospital, comandeered a wheelchair and rolled Fraser into the emergency area. Ray's flashing of his badge and Fraser's obvious distress had them seen too almost immediately, but not before Fraser had another bout of nausea, luckily there were handy bags for just such an occurrence.

While Fraser was rolled away for an examination, Ray took the time to call his mother and explain the situation. Naturally the whole Vecchio family was concerned, especially Francesca who offered to come down and wait with Ray. Ray could just imagine the scene if she and his mother came down to dote on Fraser. He would go from pale to bright pink in a matter of seconds.

The doctor in charge came out and told Ray that Fraser had a concussion and was suffering from the usual side effects. He would be admitted overnight for observation but could most likely be allowed to go home in the morning.

Ray found his way to Benny's room where his friend looking tired but relaxed now that he was in a semi- reclining position.

Ben opened his eyes at Ray's approach and gave him a half-hearted smile. He felt ridiculous lying here in a hospital bed, it was only a bump on the head, it wasn't like it was the first time his head had been used to block a hit. Ray couldn't resist the chance to make Benny a little more miserable so he said, "Hey Benny, if you really didn't want to come over for dinner you didn't have to go to all this trouble. I know how Franny gets when she's around you. I would have understood."

"Oh Ray, it was nothing like that at all, it was just an accident. I really enjoy dining with your family, they have so much energy and I would never want to disappoint your mother." explained Ben with all the sincerity he could muster.

"Ahhh, well then, I guess you won't mind that Franny is on her way down to keep you company. It takes a pretty brave man to meet up with her with the family around, but man, when she gets you here alone, all weak like this, in a room with a bed. . ." Ray teased but didn't get a chance to finish as his mouth hung open at the sight of Fraser valiantly trying to get out bed.

"Ray, help me get these guard rails down and find my clothes will you please?" exclaimed Fraser rather frantically.

Ray hadn't quite expected this reaction and couldn't keep himself from laughing openly at Fraser's predicament. Fraser stole a quick glance at Ray and inquired, "What is it that you find so amusing Ray?"

"Oh, nothing. I thought you said you could handle Franny and here you are trying to leave your sick bed just to avoid her." Ray smirked. He couldn't watch his friend panic any longer so he fessed up. "It's okay Fraser, I told them all, especially Franny that you were not allowed any visitors, so you can relax, okay?"

Fraser just leaned back and closed his eyes, trying to will the headache and creeping nausea away and then said, "YOU are a very sick man, Ray Vecchio."

Ray just put on one of his best smiles and patted Fraser on the shoulder, "Get some rest Benny, I'll be back in the morning to pick you up."

Fraser was almost asleep as Ray walked to the door. "Ray, would you check on Diefenbaker? I know he would enjoy dinner with your family and spending the night with you, if it's not too much trouble?" he said with as weak a voice as he could manage accompanied by a slightly malicious grin.

"Oh sure, no problem Fraser, my pleasure, anytime" said mister cordiality himself, muttering and shaking his head as he walked down the hall.

Meanwhile Fraser was gently giggling himself to sleep.

Nancy

Master Control@cablenet.cgocable.net

(Please put my name in the subject line -- thanks!)