Standard Disclaimer. I can't even say it. It's too hard. Please send comments, questions, compliments, and otters to sdelcul@mail.com or visit http://members.nbci.com/dueSou and http://www.learnlink.emory.edu/~sdelcul

Much thanks to my kittycat for the suggestions.

Obsession

--If you told me you were drowning, I would not lend a hand--
--Phil Collins, "In the air tonight"


"It's a thing of beauty, isn't it?"

"Do you think the room is large enough?" Fraser asked.

"Hey, if it's a little tight it just makes the game more interesting... Would you look at the patina on this thing. One thing my father knew was quality in wood."

"I'm not sure we've got it quite level, Ray."

"And boy, could he play pool. Dinner time would come and Ma would start yelling how the roast would be ruined. I'd volunteer to go down to Fanelli's and I'd sneak in and stand in the corner where he couldn't see me... WHACK... three balls off the break... he'd start knockin' them in cross side, cross corner, and then he'd double back the eight ball. He was a lousy father, but boy could he play pool. It was the one thing in life he did well." Ray's voice died as he thought about his father.

Noticing his friend's discomfort he tried to change the subject. "It's a beautiful table..."

"So you're going to be here Friday night?"

"Yeah."

"All right. Don't forget my money cause I'm going to need it to buy a... I was thinking of getting a deli platter or maybe some pizza and beer... Eh, what the hell, I'll get both... How many times do you have the guys over?"

"I wouldn't miss it. Listen, I really should be getting back."

"All right, ahh Benny, thanks for your help."

"No problem."

As he left, Ray lifted the triangle from the balls. In a sign he didn't recognize, the balls rolled sideways on the unlevel table.


He parked the Riv and went inside the Consulate. "Hey, Turnbull. Is Fraser in?"

"Good morning, Detective Vecchio. Constable Fraser hasn't arrived yet." His tone dropped to a whisper and he leaned in closely. "Inspector Thatcher is rather annoyed at his lateness."

Ray smirked and the frowned. He would have heard by now if Fraser had gotten involved in something Fraser-like. And if he was sick, he would either have gone to work anyway or at least called in. If Benton Fraser was late and hadn't called, it must mean that he was too sick to do so. "Thanks for the heads-up, Turnbull. I'll go check on him."

During the drive from the Consulate to West Racine he began a list of what he would bring Benny if he was sick. Cherry throat drops, VapoRub, . . . . Even as he reached the door he was still thinking of the things he might have to do for him.


"Hey, Benny, you okay?" he asked when Fraser came to the door. He could tell that something was up, Fraser was flushed.

"Morning, Ray."

"The consulate said you didn't show up so I figured you had to be pretty sick... You all right?"

"I'm fine."

"So you're not sick?"

"No, I'm fine."

"But you didn't go to work."

"Must have slept in..."

That was totally out of character for the uptight, uh, upright Mountie. "Are you in some kind of trouble?"

"No no no no no... I just... I have a friend visiting and I..."

"Oh, what kind of friend? A guy friend..." No, that wasn't it, but he couldn't have a . . . "A girl friend...?"

Bingo. Alert the Canadians, he's blushing. "Well, I err... No."

"You got a woman in here?"

"Yes."

"Way to go, man, way to go, you got an actual woman, you..." He couldn't believe it as he walked back down the hallway. He was happy for his friend.

"Thanks for dropping by, Ray."

"Way to go..." Mrs. Kitchens came out of her apartment and he couldn't help telling her the good news. "He's got a woman in there."


The pool table took up most of the living room, leaving little room for maneuvering as Louis attempted a shot.

"Better not ruin that radiator."

"Nice space you have for this."

"Just shut up and shoot pool."

"What am I supposed to do with this? All I can do is drill the ball straight through the table."

"You missed, you have to pot a ball."

"We've been shooting for 20 minutes we haven't sunk one..."

"Didn't I hear something about a pizza and a deli platter?" Welsh asked.

Embarrassed, Ray prevaricated. "Yes, sir, but I got caught a little short... Caper, sir?"

"I can't remember, are we spots or stripes?"

"You sink one you win... So where is the big red one?"

By this point it was obvious to him that Fraser wasn't showing. "I think he got himself a mystery woman."

"You mean you haven't met her?"

He was upset at himself for having to lie. "Yeah, I met her."

"What's she like?"

"She's, errr... Canadian." Which she probably was.

They all nodded knowingly. "Ahhhh."

It was Welsh's shot now. "Detective Gardino, please... " He gestured towards the window which Louis opened so he could aim.

"Hey Ray, how 'bout a beer?"

"Oh yeah, sure. They're in the fridge."

"I'll take one."

Caught in his own thoughts, Ray barely answered Huey's question. "That's great. They're in the fridge."

Eventually they left and Ray was alone to think about how he'd been stood up, and why he was stupid enough to be surprised.


By morning he was feeling justifiably upset. Upset enough actually, and slightly worried enough to stop by and check on Fraser. Just to make sure it wasn't something serious that had kept him away. After all, this was Fraser. He didn't blow people off like that.

When he stepped into the hallway this time, he was surprised to see Diefenbaker outside. "Three's a crowd, huh Dief?"

Ben answered the door. "Hi."

"What's tonight, Benny?" He congratulated himself on keeping his voice even.

"Ahh, actually it's Saturday morning..."

Not getting caught up in the typical Mountie need for precision, Ray waited for him to figure it out.

"Oh... Ray, I'm sorry..."

It wasn't as gratifying as he'd thought it would be. He'd almost imagined how it would have gone. Benny realizing and asking for forgiveness . . . But now it didn't seem worth the effort anymore. "Don't worry about it, it wasn't nothing special." Yeah. Right. Exactly. It wasn't important.

"No, I'm sorry, I forgot... I got caught in some things... I've got your money..."

He still hadn't figured out why Ray was upset. "Like this makes a difference..."

"I wanted to be there, Ray..."

"So is she in there?"

"Yeah... I'm sorry do you... you want to meet her..."

"Don't do me any favors... I wouldn't want to embarrass you... anyway..." In an effort to maintain any respect, he walked away. He should have known.