Watching Your Step 4 The Due South Fiction Archive Entry Home Quicksearch Search Engine Random Story Upload Story   Watching Your Step 4 by Vicki Tub Disclaimer: Not mine just looking after them will give them back i promise Author's Notes: Thank you to those reading my stories :) Story Notes: None so far SequelTo: Watching Your Step 3 Chapter 4 Fraser made his way down the hall to Ray's hospital room. As Fraser went to go in a kindly nurse stepped out. The kindly looking nurse flashed a bright smile at Fraser, "Hi sir can I help you"? Fraser smiled back, "Yes ma'm I'm looking for Ray Kowalski's room". The nurse could not take her eyes off Fraser, "Yes sir, Ray is in this room right here. Maybe you can help me. Ray has been calling out three names while under his anaesthetic. Ray has been calling out the names, Ben, Fraser and Sally. Do you know who those people are"?. Fraser rubbed his eyebrow and laughed slightly, "Yes ma'm. I'm both Ben and Fraser as my name is Benton Fraser. Sally is Ray's girlfriend". The nurse was mesmerised by Fraser's eyes, "Well that explains it then. Go right in Ray is starting to come around a bit. My name is Zara if you need anything"?. Fraser shook Zara's hand, "Thank you kindly Zara". Zara nearly melted with the hand shake, "My pleasure". Zara held on a little longer then necessary. Zara walked down the hall thinking, `I'm never washing this hand again'. Fraser now made his way into Ray's hospital room. Fraser thought that Ray looked very childlike lying in the bed. Ray's right leg was in a pulley raised off the bed. Fraser thought Ray did not look at all comfortable lying there. Ray was still coming around slowly. Ray was still saying the names softly, "Ben, Fraser, Sally". Fraser quietly made his way to Ray's bedside. Fraser was speaking softly, "Hello Ray". Ray looked up at Fraser and gave a goofy smile, "Hi Ben. Oops Fraser". Ray started giggling. Fraser couldn't help but laugh. Ray looked so goofy with that glazed expression on his face. Ray was still smiling at Fraser with that goofy grin for a long time. Ray was Talking gibberish. Fraser could not make out a word that Ray was saying. Fraser shook his head laughing. Fraser placed a hand on Ray's. Fraser leaned down so he could talk to Ray, "Ray I think you're still under the influence of your anaesthetic"?. Ray gestured for Fraser to come closer, "Yep Benton buddy. It feels like I'm flying want to come weeeeeee weeeeeee"? Ray was off giggling again and waving his arms like a kid playing airplane. Fraser stayed leaning down taking with amusement in his voice, "That's nice Ray. Do you know where we are flying to? I do hope it's somewhere nice. Is there a good view from up there"?. Ray turned his goofy glare on Fraser, "Funny hardy har, har Ben-Ton". Ray couldn't stop giggling. Every time he spoke he would start. Fraser finally stood back up. Ray was drifting back off to sleep. Fraser couldn't help himself. Ray looked so helpless. Fraser stroked Ray's hair, "Go to sleep Ray. I'll be here when you wake up, rest Ray". Ray in his sleep took Fraser's hand in his, "Thanks Ben". Ray said in a sleepy tone. Fraser was touched by Ray's gesture. Fraser managed to sit without letting go of Ray's hand. So he could be there in case Ray needed anything. Ray woke sometime later. Ray saw that Fraser was fast asleep in a chair. Ray also noticed that Fraser still had a hold of his hand. Ray just about remembered grabbing it before falling asleep. Judging by the light coming through the window that must have been hours ago, Ray thought that Fraser must have pins and needle by now. Ray tried to clear his very dry throat to call Fraser. Ray's voice came out raspy, "Hey Frase, Frase". Fraser's bat like ears caught Ray's raspy whisper. Fraser jumped up, "Ray your awake. Do you need anything water something for the pain"?. Ray was not surprised by Fraser concern for him. That was Fraser all the way always looking out for Ray. Ray was still holding Fraser's hand. So Ray tugged on it, "Frase I broke my leg I'm not dying buddy. I just wanted to know if you were ok. How long was I out for"?. Fraser gave Ray some water before speaking. Fraser looked at his watch, "You were asleep for about five hours now Ray". Ray shifted on the bed to get comfortable, "You mean to tell me that you're in that chair for the past five hours. Are you crazy Fraser? Not that I'm not grateful but please tell me you at least got something to eat and drink"?. Fraser once again gave Ray some water, "Yes Ray. A very kind nurse named Zara brought me tea and dinner a short time ago. I'm fine Ray don't worry". Ray rubbed his hand over his face and hair, "That's good. Thank god". Fraser and Ray sat in a comfortable silence for a little bit. Ray looked Fraser in the eye, "Frase did you manage to contact Sally for me"?. Fraser looked down for a moment then back at Ray, "I rang Miss Jones office for you Ray. Her secretary told me she was in a meeting. So I will try again in the morning for you Ray. Her secretary sends her best though". Ray knew that Fraser was starching the truth. Ray fiddled with the sheets, "Thanks Frase". Fraser thought his heart would break for Ray. Sally could have at least have been civil. Ray was injured for god's sake. Ray slept comfortably that night. It was thanks to the medication that Ray was given. Ray woke the next morning and instead of seeing the face of Fraser like he thought he would. Ray saw the face of Inspector Thatcher. Ray's voice came out surprised, "Inspector". Inspector Thatcher moved closer to Ray, "Good morning Detective, How are you feeling"?. Ray noticed the catch in her voice. Ray sipped his water, "Not so bad I guess, you". Inspector Thatcher fiddled with the strap of her bag, "I'm so sorry detective. Your accident was my entire fault. I should have alerted you as soon as the tape fell". Ray was surprised at what she was saying, "Inspector it wasn't your fault. Accidents happen all the time. I should have been watching my step. But I didn't". Inspector Thatcher took a deep breath, "Detective when you are realised from the hospital. We are going to have you stay in the queen's bedroom. So you can recover comfortably. Fraser has already been put in charge of your care". Ray couldn't believe it, "Inspector you really don't have to do that". Inspector Thatcher was adamant, "Detective we do. Your accident happened on Canadian soil. It's only right that we look after you. You don't have to worry about your medical bills they have been taken care of". Ray rubbed his face. Inspector Thatcher looked so cut up over this. If helping him would make her feel better then so be it. Ray smiled a warm smile at her, "That would be very kind thank you. I'd love to stay in the queen's bedroom. I'll make sure I run Fraser off his feet". Ray winked. The two burst out laughing. Ray and Inspector Thatcher chatted for awhile. Ray after a bit drifted off to sleep. Inspector Thatcher stayed as she promised Fraser that she would sit with until he returned. Inspector Thatcher watched Ray as he slept. The tough Detective looked so gentle in his sleep. Inspector Thatcher found herself smiling at this. Inspector Thatcher knew that Fraser had loving feelings for the Detective. Fraser showed it every time he spoke of him or was even just in his presence. It shone out of his eyes. She prayed that someday they would find the courage to tell each other. It was clear that the Detective felt the same way.   End Watching Your Step 4 by Vicki Tub Author and story notes above. Please post a comment on this story.