Midnight Revelations The following story is rated G, and looks at the Due South characters from a different point of view, using the stream of consciousness style. If you have any questions, comments, etc. you can email me at bauereei@email.rosary.edu. Thank you kindly. Midnight Revelations By Erin Bauer When people find out about my heritage, they wonder if I ever miss it. Well, at least they say that, although I think it is more likely they are afraid of me and feel they just have to say *something*. It doesn't bother him, however, to reveal the truth about me, and as long as I'm on my best behavior, I don't know why people should be afraid. Stereotypes, I suppose. Humankind has a history of believing in that sort of thing, and as hard as they try, it doesn't seem likely that they will ever shake the habit of being judgemental before they know the whole story. Sometimes I wish he weren't quite so honest. If he just told them I'm a Husky (I do, after all, look strikingly like one), he might save us the trouble of having to deal with startled looks and fearful frowns. It would be so much easier, but it is just not in Fraser's nature to do so. Ah well. As I lie here I ponder these things--what a strange world I live in, but I'm not complaining, mind you. Some may call me spoiled, including Fraser, but I have to admit, I enjoy this life, this city, and yes, I even like Ray, despite his attitude and comments made toward or about me. He's only human, after all. You ask, "What do you *really* think of the Mountie?" I have to smile at this question (yes, I am capable of smiling as much as this might be hard for you to imagine) for Fraser is hard to describe. I guess I would have to say he treats me as an equal--well, at least most of the time. I still have to convince him that junk food is good for me--well, at least not *that* bad for me. After all, I *do* only have a life span of 12 years, so why not enjoy myself? He's a good guy, I don't want to convince you otherwise--I mean he does go beyond the call of duty and I have the opportunity to go along for the ride. And you know, it is nice to have a bit of adventure in life, right? I'm not quite so sure that Fraser understands the concept of love yet though. It's not that he is not capable of it, it is simply that he is oblivious to the signs. Well, I guess that is just another thing to add to my list of things to do--after the junk food need, of course. Maslow's pyramid--junk food first priority, and Fraser's love life right up there with self actualization. On the other hand, his behavior could be attributed to his strong intent to help *everyone* and therefore he does not have the time to search for that special someone. Or perhaps the loss of Victoria, his one seemingly true love, (I myself shall never quite figure out the complexities of human love) will always be with him. However, whether from naivity or the pain of past events, Fraser needs to be "taught" to love again, and Ray and I may be the ones to do it. Hm, or perhaps Ray's sister or Elaine--they seem to care for him in a way that is not strictly professional or out of politeness. He has a caring and pure heart, that I do know. I also know that when I look into his eyes, I see a determination which I myself know well and can relate to because it emulates so well the will of survival found in the wild. We have philosophical conversations, Fraser and I, and I think he is probably the only one who really understands me, or at least takes the time to listen. Now you ask of Ray. Well, he is a "I think I'm funny", smart aleck type of person--polar opposite of Fraser, but I don't want to give the impression that he isn't nice. His manners could just use some work. He has his good points though--such as sneaking me a piece of junk food every once in awhile, and of course treating Fraser well, overlooking the man's naive personality and what few flaws he has, and remaining good friends with him. I can respect that, and thus I can respect Ray. Ray has the street smarts and Fraser the tracking and survival skills, so the two of them make a pretty good team--well, the three of us make a good team, I should say. The nose knows, and there is no one with a better nose than I. As my eyes grow weary, I begin to lay my head down on my paws and adjust my body to a more comfortable position. I can see Fraser reading his father's diary and he looks at me and smiles. "Night Dief," he says, and although I can't hear him, I know what he has said, and I stare at him in return, telling him with a soft whine that I wish him a good night as well. My tail wags slightly as a warmth goes through me--I think to myself--I live with such nice people. So if you wonder if I miss the wild, I have to say no--I have a good life right here. I rest my head on my paws and drift off into sleep, relaxed, and wondering what adventures the next day will bring.