What Might Have Been The House Fan Fiction Archive Home Quicksearch Search Engine Random Story Upload Story   What Might Have Been by Katie She sits in her office alone thinking about him, about things that will never be again. When she took this job as hospital administrator she knew their relationship would change, but she hadn't anticipated it would affect her this much, this way. His obvious looks of disdain every time he sees her, how he avoids any contact with her. She acts like it doesn't bother her but deep down it does. They used to be friends. Used to be lovers. But all of that changed. After his misdiagnoses. His mistake. His leg. Then he cut her off. Cut everyone off. Except for Wilson. And she never forgave him for that. Never will forgive him for that. She had no problem with it. Still doesn't. But being the stubborn ass that he is, he pushed her away, cut her off, and now he acts like nothing ever happened, and that hurts more than anything. She thought they had something. They were together for 2 years. Met when she started at the hospital. He wasn't as gruff then, and she was easily charmed by him. For their first date then went out to dinner at a little Italian restaurant then walked around the city a little. He took her home and left her with a little kiss on the cheek. They didn't spend the night together until after they were dating a little over a month. She wasn't easy after all. They started spending more and more time together. She spent almost every waking moment thinking about him. What he was doing, when she would see him again. They started spending their weekends at one or the others apartments, most of the time not even going out. The weekends turned into weeks until they eventually ended up moving in together. She bought out the end of the lease on her apartment and moved in as soon as possible. Things went well for a long while. Then he started experiencing leg pain. It got worse everyday. She tried to get him to go see a doctor but why do that when you are a doctor? He thought it was sciatica or something of that sort and ignored it. And that was just the wrong thing to do. By the time he finally did go see someone it was too far gone. The muscle death had already began. He didn't tell her for 2 weeks. Was short, angry, not his usual self back then. She didn't know what was wrong and he wouldn't tell her, didn't know what she could do. After about 2 1/2 weeks he finally told her. She was furious. Why hadn't he told her? Did he not think she could handle it? She loved him dammit! And they would get through it together. But he would hear none of it. He broke it off with her that night. Broke off their relationship. Broke her spirit. Broke her heart. So now most nights consist of this. Her sitting alone in her office thinking of the way things used to be. How things could have maybe been different if he would have just listened and let her stay. But those are all what ifs. There is no going back and changing things. He changed after that. But she would still go back to him if he said the word. After these years and all that's happened she still loved him. She guesses she always will. She gets up and collects her things, putting on her coat, turning off the light. All of that is ancient history now. She'll go home now to her empty apartment, the one she rented once they had broken up, once he had broken up with her, take a hot shower and crawl into bed alone. Try to go sleep and try not to remember what it felt like to fall asleep in his arms. Its time to move on. He has.   Please post a comment on this story. Legal Disclaimer: The authors published here make no claims on the ownership of Dr. Gregory House and the other fictional residents of Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital. Like the television show House (and quite possibly Dr. Wilson's pocket protector), they are the property of Fox Television, David Shore and undoubtedly other individuals of whom I am only peripherally aware. The fan fiction authors published here receive no monetary benefit from their work and intend no copyright infringement nor slight to the actual owners. We love the characters and we love the show, otherwise we wouldn't be here.