TITLE: Not With A Whisper - Part 1

(Part 1 of God only knows)

NAME: frogdoggie

E-MAIL: frogdoggie@hotmail.com

CATEGORY: VRA

RATING: NC-17, and I mean it. WARNING! WARNING! THIS STORY CONTAINS VERY GRAPHIC SEXUAL SITUATIONS AND SOME WHICH MAY BE DISTURBING. IT'S LOADED WITH VIOLENCE AS WELL. Forewarned is forearmed. If you don't care for the physical, graphic stuff, STOP HERE!

SUMMARY: Mulder and Scully revisit some familiar Wisconsin friends and then confront some familiar foes as well in this wide ranging X-File adventure. The story takes the Mulder-Scully relationship to one possible conclusion too. I am pushing the envelope a bit here so: FEEDBACK PLEASE!!! Comments, suggestions and healthy debate are always welcome. Flames? Flames are for roasting 'weenies'.

TIMESPAN/SPOILER WARNING: This story takes place in my own X-Files universe I guess. The events take place after my stories "Wisconsin Death Trip" and "Standin' at the Crossroads. The story features many themes and plot elements from those stories. Slight spoiler for "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose". If you haven't read either of my previous stories and would like to read them for reference, feel free to check out my X-Files story archive at: https://www.squidge.org/3wstop.

KEYWORDS: x-file romance angst Scully Mulder NC-17

DISCLAIMER: Fox Mulder, Dana Scully, Walter Skinner, Margaret Scully, Cancer Man and Melvin Frohike belong to Chris Carter, Ten-Thirteen Productions and 20th Century FOX Broadcasting. No copyright infringement is intended and no profit is being made from their use. 

Not With a Whisper
by frogdoggie

Dana Scully breathed deeply in the hot, scented water of the bathtub. As she relaxed, she let all the tension of the last two weeks flow into the water around her.

'God, this feels so much better' she thought. A magnificent unwinding of all her muscles. The feeling of the steaming hot liquid, the sensation of floating, of being weightless, the fragrant bath oil, and last but certainly not least, the feeling of Fox Mulder's lean and muscular body, propped against the tubs side, enfolding her in his loving embrace.

It had been a hellacious two weeks. The X-File they had been working on had caused them to argue, which wasn't unusual, but the disagreements seemed particularly acrimonious, and it was only the start of the trouble. Skinner had called and requested that they put the case on hold temporarily so that Mulder could consult with the Violent Crimes Section on a serial killer profile. Scully had been asked to contribute some forensic assistance. They had had to fly to Philadelphia and the case had been horrible. The killer had raped and then murdered three pre-teen girls. Mulder had done the profile and she had performed autopsies on unfortunately, victim number four and then number five. The killer was caught within 48 hours of their contributing to the case, but Mulder had been moody, depressed and quiet afterwards. Scully's nerves were shot after looking into the dead eyes of those two young girls - girls who would never see womanhood. And all that was only the first week.

Week number two brought the conclusion of the X-File with the invaluable assistance of Melvin Frohike. Scully had to admit that she could have kissed the grizzled little gnome for hacking into the database that exposed the whole case as a publicity stunt by a nationally known pharmaceutical company. That was on the Monday after they had gotten back from Philly. On Tuesday her mother had called and told her that her brother Bill and his wife's baby was extremely ill and she was flying to San Diego to help. Scully had asked her if she wanted her to fly out as well, but her mother had told her to sit tight and she would find out if it was necessary. The baby had a serious viral infection and it had been touch and go. Scully had been on the phone to San Diego almost constantly for two days, but by Thursday night the baby was out of danger, and expected to make a complete recovery.

Mulder, God Bless him, and thrown off all his moodiness the minute Scully's mother had called and had been supportive through the entire crisis. By Friday however, both Agents looked like two shell shocked war veterans, and Skinner had taken one look at them, and told them to leave before noon to get some rest. And so the weekend was upon them.

Mulder had gotten into the habit of spending the weekend at Scully's apartment. He just seemed to prefer doing it. Gradually he had brought some of his things over, and now Scully always got a pleasant, soft feeling inside when she saw his jeans hanging on the back of her bedroom door. On Friday afternoon they had been forced, despite the luxury of leaving early, to bring some paperwork home. They had changed out of their work clothes, and then, there they were at her dining room table, heads bent over reports, and coffee pot at hand. Scully was comfortable in her old sweat shirt and sweat pants, but she was still tense and so tired that it was hard to concentrate. She kept pushing her glasses up to peer at what she was typing and writing, and signing. Mulder had on his glasses also, and a worn t-shirt and faded jeans and even though he was dressed comfortably as well, Scully could see the furrow in his brow. They slogged through the paperwork until 4 PM.

"Scully, how's it going?" Mulder asked.

Scully sighed, taking off her glasses, "God, Mulder I can't believe how many copies of these forms we have to fill out, it's daunting," she answered rubbing her temples.

"No kidding, I'm thinking of buying a big rubber stamp to use next time," he replied smiling at her slightly.

"Well, if we keep at it maybe we can get it done, and then enjoy the rest of the evening," she said hopefully. "I don't have too much more to go."

"Yeah, I guess that's a good idea. I thought Chinese take-out tonight? How about you?"

"God, I've had a taste for egg rolls all day. That sounds wonderful." Scully replied.

"Ok, with two you get egg roll - as soon as we plow through the rest of this crap," Mulder agreed.

Scully was oblivious to almost everything as she worked to finish her almost completed reports. She was vaguely aware that Mulder had excused himself to use the bathroom at around 5 PM, but when he didn't come back for quite some time, she looked over to his side of the table and raised an eyebrow.

"Hey, Scully, can you come here a sec?" Mulder called from down the hall. "I have something I think you should see."

'What the devil?' Scully thought as she got up and walked towards the apartment's bathroom.

The door was shut when she got down there, so she opened it and walked in. The bathroom was steaming. The lights were off but the entire room was glowing with candles and the tub was full of inviting, hot, scented water - as well as full of one hell of an inviting Agent Fox Mulder. Scully stood and stared, and then she burst out laughing.

"Oh, Mulder - you look like something out of a romance novel," she gurgled helplessly, love in her eyes.

"Just call me Fabio," he grinned. "Come on in, the waters fine." And she did.

And the water was indeed fine. Now they lay together, and Scully rested against him quietly because the two weeks had obviously caught up with Mulder and he had fallen asleep against her, the tubs side and the rolled up towel underneath his back and neck. Scully could feel the gentle breeze from his sleeping breath and the slight nasal snoring that he sometimes suffered with when he was particularly exhausted. She couldn't see his face, but she knew what he looked like - his head tilted back, hair tousled, long lashes closed and sensual lips parted slightly as he slumbered. She was content to let him rest, and to just enjoy the feel of him holding her in the protective comfort of his arms and legs for as long as she could.

Mulder had to leave for Milwaukee, Wisconsin Sunday afternoon. Months ago he had been invited by his friend in the Milwaukee bureau office, Janet Price, to deliver a paper at a meeting of *The Whisper Group*, the local paranormal investigative organization. At the time the idea had sounded interesting, but now with the rotten two weeks they had just been through, and the prospect of flying to Wisconsin in January, the trip seemed more chore than charming.

But, Mulder hadn't wanted to disappoint Janet. She had been an invaluable aid in too many X-File cases for him to let her down. And besides, she was a friend, so he had gotten his notes together on the Clyde Bruckman case for the paper's presentation.

So, with the prospect of his absence facing Scully, she wanted to have him with her for as long as she could tonight and over the next day - and as close as possible. 'Yes, very close,' she thought with a grin.

"Mulder?" she said quietly, "Mulder?"

"Hmmmm?" he answered.

"I'm starting to prune up."

"Oh, yeah, sorry, I dozed off there," she could hear the smile in his voice.

One graceful hand crept around her and up onto her breast.

"Doesn't feel pruney to me." Mulder chuckled.

"Well, you're feeling the wrong one - see?" she said moving his hand over to her other breast.

"Oh, I see that Agent Scully, Well I guess we'd better get out of the water," he replied with a chuckle, and slight shifting of his weight.

Scully moved forward to let him get up and climb out. She simply had to get a look at the sight. 'God, that man's ass never fails to make me warm all over,' she thought as Mulder's wet feet slapped on the tiled bathroom floor. He walked over to the towel rack, and grabbing a large plush towel began to dry himself off.

'Now this is even better,' Scully thought as she watched him run the towel over his arms, and chest, his waist, and down his legs. When he drew it between his legs and rubbed it against his sex, Scully felt her insides melt and her nipples harden at the sight.

She had a wicked thought then and she voiced it, "Mulder, do the Elvis thing," she said, humor in her voice.

"Ah, Scully, come on.." he started to protest.

"Please?" she asked teasing him.

Mulder grabbed the towel, wound it up, and went into an Elvis karate move, snapping the towel so that it cracked loudly, and echoed in the confines of the bathroom.

"Happy now?" he pouted. But she knew he loved it because he could hardly maintain the pout as she suppressed a giggle.

"More than you could ever know," she replied, quietly, suddenly touched.

He smiled at her then, extending his hand, and she got up out of the water, out of the tub, and walked into his arms. He toweled her dry and then taking her by the hand, lead her into the bedroom.

"I take it the rest of the paperwork is going to wait?" she asked him playfully.

"And the egg rolls too, if you don't mind," Mulder replied grinning at her.

"Well, Agent Mulder, egg rolls aren't the only thing I've had a taste for today," Scully replied. 'God he has, he has such bedroom eyes,' she thought as Mulder pulled her down next to him on the bed.

The two weeks of gut wrenching tension, terror and turbulence were rapidly fading away as they fell into the natural rhythm that their lovemaking had become.

Mulder's foreplay was quite possibly the most erotic experience that Scully had ever had in her life. She knew he had at one time had some doubts about his abilities as a lover. He'd confessed that to her during one of their first times in bed together. She had not hesitated to tell him that for her, that couldn't have been farther from the truth. The look on his face told her that he had been profoundly relieved to think he was able to bring her pleasure.

Now, as he worked between her legs with his mouth and tongue Scully moaned and entwined her fingers in his hair. She had never imagined that she could enjoy oral sex this much, but this man was an incredible master at it, and she had to admit it was a most phenomenal turn on. She came and it was a soft, slow orgasm, and tremendously sweet. Mulder liked to see her come. He held her and brought her to climax with his hands just so that he could watch her. He had told her once that when she came she looked like an angel, and she had blushed scarlet.

Mulder lay back and she propped herself up on his chest using her elbows. "Fox Mulder, you can suck like a vacuum cleaner, did you know that?" she asked.

"God, Scully!" he exclaimed laughing. She laughed too because it tickled her to know that she could embarrass him every once in a while.

"Yes, I can't begin to tell you what that feels like," she replied and then a thought leapt into her mind, 'but I can show you.'

"Don't move," she told him.

"What?" he started to ask as she shifted down, and took his partially erect penis into her mouth.

"Jesus, Scully!" he gasped as she took him all in and then drew her mouth up from the base to the tip. She worked her tongue around the end of his penis and then took him in again...and again.

"Oh my..." she sucked, and teased his cock until he was as hard as a rock, and he finished the sentence with a groaning, "God."

She removed her mouth then and looked up into his eyes. "See what I mean. Interesting isn't it?"

He was breathing heavily and his penis was bobbing in front of her nose.

"Interesting isn't quite the right word," he managed to breathe out, shutting his eyes.

"Do you want me to keep this up?" she asked huskily. In the time they had been lovers, Scully had never brought him to climax in this manner, but now she wanted to see him derive as much pleasure from it as she did. She looked into his eyes and asked somewhat shyly, "Mulder, I, I'd like to make you come this way if you'd enjoy it."

"Enjoy it?" he said his voice going up an octave. "Scully, my brains are going to explode out my ears," he moaned.

"Well let's see if we can get something else to explode, Agent Mulder." she laughed, "Scoot down to the end of the bed and sit up."

He did as instructed and she had all ready gotten up and knelt down between his legs. He braced himself by leaning back on his arms.

Scully looked up at him then and said, "Relax Mulder, you're going to like this - I know I will," and then she went down on him.

Mulder thought he had died and gone to heaven in that moment. Scully's mouth sent electric bolts of lust up his cock in a trail along his spine and right into his cerebral cortex. All the little pleasure brain cells started to fire at once, and the indescribable endorphin rush traveled back down the same pathway to make his penis burn with the white hot heat of ecstasy. If Mulder could suck like a vacuum cleaner then Scully was more like the some kind of pneumatic suction device. Mulder was moaning incoherently in very short order, and he pumped his hips in time with what her lips, tongue, and teeth were doing to him.

"OH, JESUS, THIS IS, GOD THIS IS SO GOOD..." he couldn't say anything else, and he just shut his eyes and concentrated on what was going on between his legs. Scully was teasing the head of his cock, bringing him up to the brink of orgasm, and then backing him off by squeezing him just behind the glans, and the seesaw effect caused him to collapse backwards so that he was lying flat on the bed. He arched up to meet her mouth again, and again, he moaned Scully's name, his fists clenched, and then he felt his balls start to contract, and he knew he was going to come. He screamed out OH, CHRIST! as he thrust one last time into her mouth, and then he shot his warm flood of semen down her throat.

Scully had been watching him and enjoying every minute of his pleasure. Mulder seemed transported to some other place, his head thrown back, eyes closed and larynx working to swallow, and God, he was gasping so hard he sounded like he would hyperventilate. When he fell backwards she struggled to stay with him. He was arching his hips, and thrusting to meet her mouth, and groaning out her name. Finally she knew he was going to come, she could feel his whole body tense through his cock, so she knew what was going to happen next. The warm semen was something she had prepared herself for, and at that point there wasn't much more she could do except swallow. The experience of swallowing part of him was odd at first but then very erotic for her. She took it all in as he pumped weakly into her mouth, and as he struggled to sit up, she released his penis. Mulder drew her up into his arms.

Then he collapsed backwards again, taking her down next to him on the bed. His breath came in ragged gasps, but there was an ear to ear grin on his face as he looked into her eyes.

"You realize, Scully that I'm doing the rest of your paperwork for you tonight," he wheezed out.

"And buying the egg rolls?" she replied.

"If you're still hungry," he teased, taking his hand and wiping her chin. He couldn't believe she had swallowed his ejaculation.

"Mulder!" she slapped him on the stomach, suddenly embarrassed, but laughing despite herself.

"Hey you can have one from Column A and one from Column B for all I care, Scully! God, I'm not even going to ask you where you learned to, to..."

"Give head?"

"Jesus, Scully, Yeah," he replied flushing even more deeply.

"Mulder you must remember at times like this - I AM a Doctor," she replied stroking his thigh.

"Dr. Feelgood," he grinned running his hand down her cheek.

'God I love this man," she thought, 'in every corner of my heart and soul,' Not only could he send her to another world in bed, but he was so warm and fun to be with before, during, and after, that she could hardly believe it. The serious, self obsessed, intense man that Mulder was most of the time seemed to disappear every now and then, especially here in her apartment, and in her bed, and she was glad that this little corner of her world helped to light some of his darkness. He might go back to being Spooky Mulder once he hit the door to the J. Edgar Hoover Building, but here with her he was just Mulder, (never Fox, of course), her partner, her soulmate, and lover, and that was all, and it was wonderful.

"Scully, are you all right though?" he was asking. "I mean, do you need anything else?"

Scully considered his question, but she really was content. The hot relaxing bath, her slow sweet orgasm under his mouth and hands, and then the wonderful experience of her man enjoying everything she could give him had been enough for her.

"Yes, Mulder, I'm starving, I could really use those egg rolls, and some pork fried rice, I think," she said planting a kiss on his forehead.

"Me too. Ok, coming right up, Doc," he answered reaching for his cell phone on the night stand.

The rest of the weekend stretched ahead. Mulder had done the small remainder of her paperwork as promised so they had spent Saturday together, sleeping in, and then lounging in the apartment in their jeans and bare feet, without the intrusion of the JOB. There had been one phone call from Skinner to tell Mulder that the Philly PD had recommended them both for a commendation for their help in solving the string of murders there. Despite his self-depreciating comments over the phone to Skinner, Scully could tell Mulder was flattered that for once old Spooky Mulder's efforts had been considered worthy of an award.

Mulder's relationship with Skinner had changed subtly since the horrors of the X-File case in Crossroads, Maine. Skinner was still Mulder's superior, but he also struggled to be his friend. It was hard for Skinner to balance the intrigue of the bureau and the darker forces that swirled around him with his gratitude towards Mulder for saving his life. There were still a lot of issues between the two men, but one of them was not Mulder's relationship with Scully. Skinner knew about it, and after his one bit of advice to Mulder to never stop loving her, and to use their love as a strength in their partnership, he had never mentioned it again. Scully believed that he was operating under the *don't ask, don't tell policy* in order to protect them more than himself and she was grateful. She hoped that someday Skinner would find someone like his lost love Maggie Flynn, so that the man could find some modicum of happiness.

After Skinner's phone call on Saturday, Mulder was so full of himself that Scully had to laugh. He was seldom so confident and pleased with his violent crime work and Scully was relieved for once to see him strut a bit.

They decided to go shopping. Well, Scully dragged Mulder shopping while she desperately tried to find one or two new tailored suits for work. He was like most men in that department. He put up with the trip through the boutiques and shops and she finally lost him to a computer software store. They debated taking in a movie but opted for an early dinner out instead, and rental of a video. Scully voted to rent *Room with a View* and Mulder picked *Them!* a movie he had probably seen a zillion times but Scully had never dreamed of watching. He said he wanted to get her reaction to it. They ended up renting both. Then they had driven home, tired but happy, and Mulder had helped her to carry her packages into the apartment.

Mulder and Scully were snuggled in front of the TV, popcorn bowl in Mulder's lap. *Them* had been better then Scully had thought it would be. Not Mulder's usual grade B-schlock horror film at all. She thought it was a little bit of 50s paranoia about the A-bomb, and it's giant ant mutants, mixed with an interesting blend of unexpected women's liberation with the central role of the female entomologist. Mulder told her he was hoping she would think the movie was classic 50s SF and she told him she had to agree.

They had just finished watching *Room With A View* which Mulder said he enjoyed more then he thought he would too, when the phone rang. It was Scully's mother calling to let her know that Bill's baby had improved so much the child would more than likely be released from the hospital on Monday and that she was coming home on Monday afternoon. When Scully answered the phone Margaret Scully had heard Mulder talking in the background briefly at first and asked, "Is that Fox, Dana?" Much to Scully's guilt and chagrin, she answered "Yes, he just stopped by to drop off some case files. We never did finish all of our paperwork on Friday," she lied.

Scully was terribly guilty because she had not been able to say anything to her mother yet about her relationship with Mulder. She didn't know why she hadn't told her. It seemed totally irrational. But she had a sneaking suspicion it had something to do with her Catholic upbringing as well as the fact that her older brother Bill, now the head of the family since her Father's death, was increasingly involved in her mother's life.

Bill had an intense dislike for Mulder. Scully could remember only too well the knock down drag out fight regarding her partner she and Bill had after Emily's death. It seemed so long ago, but the memory was still fresh and painful. Bill had accused her of sleeping with Mulder then, and he made it sound as if it was something improper and dirty. There had been no sexual relationship with Mulder at that point, but Scully's feelings were finally becoming plain to her even then, and she had actually slapped her brother across the face when he made the accusation. They were still attempting to heal the rift after the many months, so Scully wasn't sure what the reaction of her family would be to finding out that she was actually bringing Mulder into her bed. Sometimes she wished Missy were still alive. Missy, her wonderful free spirit of a sister. She had said to her once "God, Dana, why don't you just ball his brains out and get it over with, I would!"

Scully exchanged further pleasantries with her mother, told her to give her love to Bill, his wife, and a big kiss to the baby, she would see her when she got back, and then she hung up the phone with a sigh.

Mulder watched as she put down the phone. He had turned off the TV and VCR while she had been talking and now he put the popcorn bowl down on the coffee table. Scully leaned against him and he wrapped an arm around her shoulders and drew her close.

"You know, Scully, you're going to have to say something to your Mother soon. I, I don't like to think we're sneaking around behind her back. Crap, I know that sounds juvenile, but you know what I mean," Mulder said quietly. He had a great respect for Margaret Scully and thought he was doing her a huge disservice in this situation.

"Oh, Lord, I know Mulder. But, well, it's just so hard for me. It's that Catholic upbringing thing again. I feel so guilty. I've made a new commitment to my faith and here I am lying about us to my mother. I feel awful. It does seem adolescent. And of course, there's Bill."

Mulder sighed, "Yeah, he really still hates me doesn't he?"

"Well, I wouldn't exactly say hate Mulder. But he doesn't trust you and he just feels you're not a suitable associate for his *little* sister. I suppose I'll always be that to him, you know. He can be such a prick sometimes," she replied against his chest.

"You mean he doesn't trust my intentions?" Mulder asked.

"Well, that's part of it. He just thinks you're too dangerous all the way around, Mulder. I know he's concerned for my health and safety. God, he's always hated my work with the FBI anyway and the X-Files, well, that subject is just beyond comprehension for him. Just like Dad, he would have preferred I took the safe route and become a practicing physician - even a coroner would have been better then an FBI Agent in his eyes. He's such an old fashioned conservative shmuck about the whole thing that I can barely stand it at times."

"Yeah, but I don't like the idea that I'm coming between you and the rest of your family, Scully, I..."

"Mulder, look, don't take the guilt onto your shoulders, all right. It's not your fault and it's not something for you to deal with. It's an issue I have to deal with, and I know I should do it soon."

"But maybe I should approach Bill, try to make amends, I don't know, talk to him somehow."

"God, no Mulder. That would go over like a lead balloon. I need to get to Bill through Mom. I need to talk to my mother..." Scully sighed. "Damn, this is so complicated."

"Yeah, I'm beginning to get that idea - loud and clear," Mulder said pulling away from her slightly.

"Mulder, please, don't shut me out," she whispered, touching his chin, "and repeat after me - I am not responsible for Bill Scully being an asshole, and this situation is not my fault."

"He really thinks I'm dangerous, huh?" Mulder looked into her eyes.

Scully looked down and away then, reddening slightly, "Mulder, it's, it's not important what Bill feels, it's important what we...."

"Not important? Scully, come on, how can you say that for God's sake? Of course it's important, the guy may be insufferable but he is your brother. He's family, I mean it's a blood bond. Scully, you shouldn't ever overlook the importance of family, it's ...." Mulder's voice faded off suddenly.

Scully looked up into Mulder's eyes, and she saw again the guilt in his haunted look. She saw the self flagellation that he was always willing to put himself through. She saw the pain over his sister Samantha, and his father, and his mother. She knew that pain was always just within reach in all his thoughts. But Scully also saw the emotion that was paramount in Mulder's mind - the one that superseded all others - the need to know. The search for the truth. She knew it would be hard to deny him the truth of her brother's vituperation - but she hesitated to tell him of the disapproval. He always hurt so much. She wanted to protect him just this once - out of love, and compassion, and maybe she thought with chagrin, for her own peace of mind.

"Mulder, I know, but, let's just drop the subject, please, all right?" she whispered staring at him nervously. The look on his face told her instantly that this had been totally the wrong approach.

"God damn you," Mulder spat at her, "You'd think that after all this time, after what we mean to each other now - I mean Scully how can you let me into your head like you do when I, when we're making love, and then when I ask you a simple question like this you close up like, like the fucking vault at Fort Knox!"

Scully's head jerked up. She was mad now herself. "God damn me? Well, let me tell you Agent Mulder - you have more then enough God damning on your shoulders to more than suit both of us don't you? Why do you think I don't want to tell you what Bill said, for crying out loud? I don't want you to suffer any more. I'm tired of seeing you put yourself through a fucking self flagellation. I'm sick to death of seeing you hurt, you stupid bast..." Scully stopped, horrified at her own words, as she watched Mulder gulp and struggle for control.

Mulder's mouth snapped shut and he stared at her in amazement. Emotions surged across his face. He took a deep breath and Scully saw the expression there she knew would come, and dreaded - the guilt.

"Scully, I'm sorry, it probably isn't any of my business," he replied quietly, rubbing a hand on the back of his neck, and looking away from her yet again.

'This is it,' Scully thought, 'this is too much. All right, I've had it, fuck it," she inwardly cursed. And then she told Mulder what Bill had said, and it came out in a rush.

"Mulder, Bill said you're dangerous to my life, health and happiness. He accused you of seducing me long ago. He thinks you're a miserable excuse for a human being for sleeping with me *out of wedlock,* as he so delicately put it. Besides being an utter cad, he thinks you're nuts, a borderline psycho and...."

"Jesus, he said that? You never gave me an any idea he said all that," Mulder's jaw was incredibly tight and he looked at her again, shock on his face.

"Well, we had one hell of a fight about it, just, just after Emily," Scully whispered. "And at that point for God's sake, you weren't, I mean we weren't..." her voice trailed off.

Mulder looked down at his hands then and he folded them together tightly between his knees. His whole body was tense under Scully's gaze. She was instantly sorry for what she had said. Her much vaunted control had slipped for just a moment, and she realized now that her wish to avoid hurting him had failed miserably. 'Oh Mother Mary, help me salvage this,' she thought desperately. 'He doesn't deserve this.'

Scully touched his hands and said gently, "Oh God, I'm sorry Mulder. I shouldn't have repeated...I didn't mean to hurt you with any of Bill's idiotic remarks."

Mulder's jaw muscles were very tight, and he stared at his hands as if they were the only important thing in the world at that moment.

Scully hastened to continue, touching him on the shoulder now, "Mulder, my brother has this instinct sometimes for ferreting out all the things in life he thinks are improprieties, and then lecturing and lecturing...oh I know he does it out of love for us all, and he feels such a responsibility for the family now that Dads gone, but Lord, Mulder, I wish he'd give it a rest."

"I'll second that," Mulder finally replied, sagging slightly.

"I know, dear God, Mulder, please, I love you, I didn't mean to let Bill's remarks hurt you. I didn't want to tell you - I tried not to tell you," she was immensely flustered and close to tears.

Mulder sighed, "Look, it's OK, Scully. Listen, I know, all right? I asked for it didn't I?" he tried to muster a sheepish grin. "Hoisted on my own petard, I guess. But Scully, believe it or not, I do know I'm capable of damning myself. I just don't admit it most of the time. Please bear with me though, OK. I'm trying to learn to change. And Scully, it's been a hard couple of weeks. I know you're hurting too. I think, I think we're just stretched a little too tight at this point, right?"

"Oh, Mulder..." Scully replied quietly, touched as she saw him attempt to throw off his automatic will to blame himself for everything, and deal with the situation as best he could. She touched his face and then rubbed her hand along his arm.

"But Scully....uh, does what we're doing, I mean, our relationship, is it really bothering you because of the religious, the Catholic thing?...Shit, what I'm trying to say is, maybe Bill's right. Maybe I am compromising you by sleeping with you. I hate the idea that I'm making you feel guilty or confused over lying. It disturbs me to think about how that affects your faith," Mulder said, a tone of misery still tingeing his voice. Scully's faith was after all what had quite literally, pulled his nuts out of the flames of hell, in Crossroads, Maine.

"Oh God, Mulder," Scully replied looking at his profile. "Please don't ever think that, ever. I love you. I made a decision to be with you, I don't regret it, I never could," she replied stroking his hair.

Mulder still wouldn't look at her so Scully gently reached over, and turned his head around to look into his face. She closed her eyes and brushed his lips with a kiss.

He yielded to the kiss, and started to finally unwind, his relaxation seemed almost complete, but then he started to talk around her mouth, "Well, there's always one solution," he said.

"What?" she asked.

"I could marry you, and make you an honest woman," Mulder replied.

Scully gradually opened her blue eyes wide and stared over his nose into his hazel ones.

"Bad choice of words?" he asked, holding her gaze. His jaw muscles were clenching and unclenching anew.

'OhboyOhboyOhboy,' Scully thought, pulling her mouth away from his.

"Mulder...."

"Ok, bad choice of words," Mulder sighed wistfully, breaking eye contact and looking at his hands again.

"No, no, God, Mulder, it wasn't a bad choice of words, those were, those were...wonderful words," Scully was stumbling all over herself. 'Marriage?' she thought, 'For God's sake. This is certainly out of left field. I never saw it coming. What a question. Talk about a 2 by 4 right between the eyes. Does he mean it? Oh God, look at his face, of course he means it, Oh Mother Mary...Am I ready for this step? Are we ready for this step? I just don't know. I can't even tell my mother I'm sleeping with him - married to him? Oh My Lord. What about the Bureau, the X-Files the...the...' her mind was reeling.

"Wonderful, but?" Mulder asked looking at her again.

"Wonderful but, well, unexpected, Mulder - Good Lord! For crying out loud - can't you do anything conventionally? I mean, where's the ring, the candle light dinner, the violins? Why aren't you on your knees?" Scully blustered, and then she broke into a radiant smile.

Mulder grinned at her. He got up and knelt in front of her, putting one hand over his heart and the other flamboyantly out to the side.

"Oh, no, please get up!" she was really laughing now, in tears, her earlier mood making her want to lose herself in laughter. Mulder was laughing as well.

"Dana Katherine Scully," he choked, "Would you do me the honor of becoming my wife?"

"Oh, for heavens sake," Scully exclaimed. But then she tried to gain control of herself, because although Mulder was laughing, she could see the look in his eyes now as he calmed down, and it was very vulnerable.

Mulder got up and sat back down on the couch next to her.

"So, last chance to dance, Scully," Mulder said, breathless. He searched her face and Scully noticed he was sucking on his lower lip, a sign that he was still nervous.

"Oh, Mulder," Scully said, laying her head on his shoulder. "I love you so much, I can't imagine anyone I'd rather spend the rest of my life with..."

"I hear the *but* word again in there somewhere," Mulder replied.

"Well, I'm just not sure trying to please my brother, my mother, and the Catholic church is a good excuse for marriage," Scully answered quietly.

"Excuse?" Mulder asked slightly affronted.

"Oh, you know what I mean, not an excuse - I mean it's not a good foundation to start out on, that's all," Scully sat up and ran her hands through her hair, pushing it back behind her ears. She looked down at her lap, "I don't want to go into marriage because I felt like I...we were forced to in order to please anyone else but us. For God's sake that's like, like..."

"A shotgun wedding?" Mulder asked grinning slightly.

"God, yes, and Bill's holding the gun," she answered. "And besides the family issues - For heaven's sake, Mulder what about the Bureau? And our work on the X-files? and..." she let her voice trail off.

Mulder sighed. "Yeah, I guess I can see your point."

"Mulder, besides the obvious occupational difficulties and, and the dangers all that implies - well, it's just that I've begun only recently to realize a really basic fact about myself. The fact that I've lived most of my life pleasing others, never myself. I don't want to do that again where we're concerned, where our relationship or...marriage is concerned."

"Am I included in there along with the rest of the *others*?" Mulder asked quietly.

"Sometimes," she answered truthfully. "But take my word for it, not very often - anymore," she looked up at him smiling slightly.

"Too easy to argue with, hey?" he asked, a bit of humor tingeing his voice.

Scully smiled, "You challenge me, Mulder, and I love a challenge."

"So, is that a no, Scully?" he asked finally.

"Mulder, let's call it a maybe, all right. Give me some time to think about it," she tempered her words my stroking the side of his face. "I want to get my mother alone for a long talk when she gets back. You'll be in Milwaukee - maybe I can get her to come for a visit. I need to be honest about this with her. When you get back, we, well we need to talk about some of the other obvious issues. But Mulder, I, I won't make you wait long for an answer - ok?" she squinted at him a bit, and then she grinned at him from under her eyelashes, despite herself. She was almost inclined to throw caution to the wind, and just say yes, and to hell with all the rest.

Mulder caught the look and said, "Ah ha, see, watch out, the idea is growing on you, Scully."

"Well, I have to admit, it's an attractive proposal. God, proposal. I can't believe this..." she let her voice trail off into helpless laughter again, waving a hand through the air for emphasis.

"You can't believe it? - I thought I was going to swallow my tongue..." Mulder began.

"No, Mulder, don't do that, I'd really hate it if you did that," Scully managed to sound both suggestive and extremely tickled all at once.

"Oh, sure, drag me through the gutter, you wanton woman," Mulder started to tickle her.

"Oh, no, Mulder, please, stop it, come on," Scully was flinching and trying to keep his hands from her most sensitive spots.

"Uncle?" Mulder asked.

"Yes, Uncle, Uncle, damn it, Mulder," she was helpless with laughter.

Mulder stopped tickling her and grabbed her in a bear hug, "Want some coffee?" he asked, "I could use some coffee."

"Sure, that would be a great idea," Scully struggled to regain her composure. She felt hot all over. 'I wonder if this is what spontaneous combustion feels like,' she thought errantly.

Mulder had gotten up and gone into the kitchen. She rose and followed him. He was measuring the coffee into it's filter and his hands were shaking slightly. Scully felt an overwhelming surge of emotion almost take her breath away. Here was a man that not that long ago had been afraid to admit his feelings, wary of commitment of any kind, and frightened to death of seeing Scully endangered because of any involvement with him. Now, they had come full circle to completion, like the tattoo of the snake devouring itself that nestled in the flesh of her lower back. Scully realized that Mulder had offered her the most profound gift he had to give - his life and his love as her husband, and as the marriage ceremony would say - until death do us part. 'And with Mulder, maybe even beyond death - forever,' she thought, gazing lovingly at his restless hands.

She walked over and leaned into his back, her arms drawing around his waist in a hug. He spilled the coffee all over the counter. She laughed, "Don't worry, I'll clean it up."

Scully released him, and moved about the kitchen getting the mugs, sugar and cream together. Mulder gathered his thoughts.

'Well at least she didn't reject me outright,' he mused. 'God, maybe she should. I am such a fucking geek. What a loser. No. Crap. Cancel the self-deprecation shit this time, come on, she's receptive. I can tell she's receptive. She just needs time. There's hope here yet. I should just be patient. She's honest. I can trust her for God's sake. I know she won't let me twist in the wind for long. Whew, I'm Christfully glad I got this over with - whatever her answer is going to be. I didn't think I had the guts to pop the question. Guess I'm not such a jerk after all. Ha, not bad, for once, Mulder. Gee I wonder if I should think about a ring? Time for that later I guess,' and he smiled as he thought of the possibility of Scully saying yes, and the look on her face when he finally did get conventional and gave her that ring. Gradually his hands ceased to shake and he ventured a tentative conversation with Scully again.

"Scully, uh, would you mind listening to some of the paper I'm going to present? I've got most of it down but I think there's one or two parts I could really use your input on," Mulder asked as he filled the coffee pot with water.

"Clyde Bruckman?" she asked.

"Yes, I decided the Whisper people might find him intriguing," Mulder replied.

"That poor man," Scully sighed remembering the unfortunate psychic. "Sure, I'd be happy to listen to it."

"Thanks, I can use the rehearsal too," he grinned as the coffee perked.

Later, after Scully added a few points to Mulder's paper and Mulder had declared the work presentable at last, they tidied up the cups, coffee pot, and kitchen. Mulder used the bathroom, and then waved Scully past him as she went in to wash and brush her teeth.

Mulder went into the bedroom, and turned on the bedside lamp. He grabbed his duffel bag and hefted it onto the bed. "For once I don't have the damn garment bag with all the G-man suits,' he thought. At least out in Milwaukee he could dress casually. He was only going to be there through Wednesday morning - just enough time to say hello, deliver the paper, and blow out of the *great place on a great lake*. He was going to miss Scully, he thought, and he certainly would be anxious to get back and get her answer to his question, no matter what it might be. Whatever the outcome, they would deal with it.

Mulder placed the folder with the presentation in the top of his bag next to his extra gun, the one that went into the accompanying ankle holster. He wasn't sure why he had packed the damn thing. He knew he would take it out tomorrow before he went to the airport and strap it on. Including the extra gun had been a formless feeling at the time. He'd just shrugged and thrown it in. He chalked it up to his natural, but advisable paranoia. He shrugged again, zipped up the duffel and placed it in the corner of Scully's bedroom. As he was bending to set the bag down he heard Scully clear her throat. He turned around.

Scully was standing in the doorway to the bedroom and she was dressed in the most incredible piece of lingerie he had ever seen. It was black, and very little else. His eyes bugged out, and after his mouth hung slack for a few seconds Scully took pity on him and spoke.

"Like it?" she asked.

"Holy shit," he breathed out, "Was this a recent purchase?" he asked, his pupils contracting to tiny little pin pricks.

"You carried the package inside yourself this afternoon," she replied seductively.

"Well, I didn't think that was a very heavy package, and now I can see why," he grinned.

"I'm glad you like it, I just wanted to dress up a little tonight, you know, before your trip," she was saying as she started to walk over to him, "Consider this a bon voyage present."

Mulder actually found himself backing up until there was no where else to go, and he was standing against the side of the bed. His eyes widened as she sashayed across the room to confront him. She looked positively wicked and Mulder struggled to swallow.

"Why Agent Mulder, are you afraid of me?" Scully asked teasing as she stood in front of him.

"Afraid, ah, no - but you are one hell of a formidable women, Ms. Scully," he answered finally swallowing audibly. 'Whoa,' he thought. Maybe I am a little afraid of her. She, she looks so strange, so hot, uh, a little un-Scully like here. But, my she is - stimulating,' he chuckled trying to pass off his nervousness as she started to unzip his pants. He stepped out of his jeans, and then he pulled his t-shirt over his head. He was standing there in his boxers looking down into Scully's eyes. 'God, that little outfit is too much,' he thought.

Scully looked up at him and her eyes were an electric blue, and wild in their passion. Her mouth was open slightly and she was breathing harder. A drop of sweat was on her upper lip. The total effect excited him strangely. A image came suddenly into his head. A disturbing image of Scully biting him on the back of the neck, holding him immobile, drawing his blood. The blood dribbled down his back. The image abruptly touched a side of him that he didn't expect to see revealed, didn't know he had. It was an unexpected violent side, a darkness, and he felt an urgent need to be frenzied, and rough in his lovemaking.

Scully studied his face, his eyes, and his body. She was picking up on his signals in an almost psychic way. Suddenly an image came into her mind. A disturbing image of Mulder biting her on the back of her neck, holding her immobile, drawing her blood. The blood dribbled down her back. The image made her gasp, and abruptly, she was all over him. She grabbed his boxers and actually tore them in her haste to pull them off. Mulder fell over onto the bed, backwards but struggled upright to catch her as she followed him.

Scully couldn't grab, suck on, or stroke enough of him at once, and he was struggling with her, fighting her off, resisting her. The resistance sent a searing heat right between her legs. She was so excited from the battle that the feeling took her to the brink and then over it, and she had a crashing orgasm. As she came, her inner lubrication ran down her thighs.

Mulder tore Scully's little black lingerie number right off her body, his nails scratching her as it ripped away. He flung it through the air and it fell on the floor in a crumpled heap. He wanted her naked as quickly as possible and all thoughts of gentleness were totally forgotten in his white hot lust. Scully groaned, and then arched her neck in delight as Mulder bent his head, and lapped at a bloody scratch near one of her taunt nipples.

Mulder knelt on the bed, holding her by the wrists in front of him for a moment, and Scully looked into his eyes. They weren't hazel any longer, they were black, dark with his desire, two shadowed spots, two black holes, and tonight, Scully wanted to go over the event horizon, and right down into them both.

Mulder kissed her violently, crushing her mouth against his, taking her in, forcing her head back. She struggled against him now, and her twisting and turning made him achingly hard. Mulder flipped her around and held her arms tight against her sides so she couldn't move. Scully tried to lever up to gain some advantage, but he was too strong. She ground her ass against his balls and cock. His hard on was crushed against their bodies, and he groaned loudly into her ear.

They were becoming slick with sweat from struggling, and Scully was so wet between her thighs, that she could barely feel the skin there any longer. Mulder bent his head to her neck and worked his mouth and teeth down from her ear to her shoulder. He reached a spot just next to the tip of her clavicle and then he sucked on the skin so hard that Scully thought she could hear every capillary in the area popping. She jerked her shoulder aside but he brought his arms up higher, holding her immobile. She bent her head forward and bit him on the arm. They hadn't spoken an intelligent word until that point but then Mulder hissed, "Fuck..." and Scully arched back violently into his body and moaned, "Oh God Mulder, Please - Fuck Me, Pleaseeee!"

Mulder took one arm away from gripping her shoulders, and putting his hand on the back of her neck threw her forward into the mattress, onto her knees and forearms. He grabbed her around the waist with the same arm, and using his other hand parted the folds of her cunt and rammed into her, hard, fast and deep.

Scully cried out, but not in pain. His violent thrust met her lust perfectly, and the pleasure was almost too much for her to bear. They were both crying out now, words that neither one of them would ever dream of saying to each other under their normal, gentle lovemaking. These were words to match the darkness, the violent ecstasy of this unexpected, and obscene, animalistic act.

Mulder continued to drive into her, both hands on either side of her hips now, drawing her to him. Scully didn't need to be drawn, she was eagerly meeting his cock, struggling to brace herself, back up on her hands and knees now, against the mattress. She didn't want him to ever stop, and she didn't want to come, she just wanted to feel him pounding into her, groaning her name, and the things he wanted to do to her. "Harder, OHMYGOD, don't stop, please don't stop!" she screamed.

Mulder was gone. He was focused on his penis and that was all. Focused on the sensation of ramming into her, of Scully's tightness and wetness and his plunging into the darkness, her darkness and his darkness. He was going down, down somewhere, to a place he had never been with Scully, down where it was black, into a hidden erotic, dark city. He sought another dimension, a sybaritic metropolis of carnality he never new existed and wasn't sure he wanted to know was there, even now. But he was searching for it, and he was vaguely aware that Scully was screaming at him, and it was distracting him from the trip. So, he slowed his thrusting and was greeted with a mewling sound of protest from the kneeling body of his lover. Mulder draped his body over Scully, his cock still hard and buried inside her up to the hilt.

"You don't want me to stop?" he hissed into her ear.

"You bastard..." she wheezed, breathing hard below him.

"What?" he asked quietly right next to her ear. Scully could just look sideways into his profile. His eyes were closed, face flushed, and his full lips were parted in erotic abandon. He looked feral, and his appearance took her to another level, a higher plane of near orgasmic delirium. She felt her body tighten around his cock. He grunted in time to her spasm.

"I don't want you to stop..." she whispered, breathless.

"Then beg me not to," he said. And she did without hesitation.

Mulder listened to her words for what seemed like an eternity. Scully pleaded, and he held so still, and his breath came in labored gasps. Once he moaned in a strange whining manner. Then finally when she thought she couldn't stand it any longer, Mulder spoke, and his curt command which should have disgusted, angered, and frightened her sent her instead into a red hot, searing heat.

"Shut the fuck up, you bitch," Mulder snapped, and Scully groaned in torrid ecstasy.

Scully was indeed somewhere else herself by this time. The only thing she could feel was her cunt, and his cock and both were on fire.

Mulder rose up from leaning over her body, gripped her waist tightly, drew out and then pulled back. Then, without any further warning, he thrust into her so hard that she thought he would split her in two.

Scully cried out in surprise, and then she shrieked because she was coming again. A burst of blinding light flashed in her head. The orgasm was quite unexpected, and quite phenomenal, and she knew her body was squeezing Mulder's cock like a vice grip. Mulder howled, pumping into her violently twice more and then he came, ejaculating into her. She felt his warm semen filling her, and then running down her thighs. He screamed to God, and then he collapsed sideways, blacking out.

Scully fell over in front of him and he slid out of her, wetly. She rolled over onto her stomach, and pushed him onto his back. He was really out of it, his head lolling to the side. He was breathing hard, and his eyes lids were fluttering.

"Mulder," she prodded him, "Oh Christ, Mulder!" Scully shook him and he started to come round.

"Scully? What the...Jesus..are, are you all right?" he asked groggily, concern on his face.

"God, Mulder I should be the one asking you that question," she gasped, touching his chest and then his neck, feeling for his pulse.

He took her hand and kissed it. "Scully, My, God, What? What...Dana are you all right?" he asked again still dazed.

"Mulder, please, I'm fine..." she whispered. 'God, what had come over them?' she wondered. "Are YOU all right?" she asked, concerned. He wasn't quite focused and it was scaring her.

"I'm, I'm ok, I think. I, Christ, I blacked out," he ran his hand over his face. "Ha, uh, well, I guess, I hardly, Scully, I don't know what to say..." he let his voice fade. It was obvious to Scully from the brief look she had gotten into his haunted eyes, that Mulder was mortified at what had just taken place between them. She looked at the arm that he had flung abruptly across his face. There was a bloody bite mark on it.

"Oh my God, Mulder! Your arm!" she exclaimed, "Dear God, is that where - I mean - I bit you! I'm so sorry, I didn't realize I'd been so rough."

"YOU were rough? Shit, Scully," Mulder replied quietly sitting up and hugging his legs to his chest. "What the fuck was I thinking," he added dismally. He felt like his balls were rapidly shrinking and seeking a safe haven up in his groin somewhere.

"I'm going to get some alcohol and gauze, I'll be right back," she said as she got up off the bed. Mulder watched her leave. He could see the bruises all ready forming on her waist and backside. He cringed.

Mulder was totally at a loss for his behavior. He couldn't imagine what had caused him to do what he had done to Scully. And the horrible part of the whole thing was that he had a vague, rapidly disappearing, feeling that he had enjoyed it.

Scully came back into the room with the disinfectant, cotton, gauze, tape and scissors. Placing the alcohol on the night stand, she took his arm and gently began to clean away the blood using the cotton swabs. 'The bite isn't too deep, thank God," she thought, "but still...."

"Scully, I'm sorry," Mulder said.

"YOU'RE sorry?" she looked into his sad eyes. "Look at what I did to your arm."

"It doesn't hurt very much," he said as she finished bandaging it.

"Well, I just hope it doesn't get infected. Human bites can be extremely..." she whispered, laying the tape, and scissors on the night stand.

"Scully, I know," he said touching her hair. She was shaking.

"Here, you're getting cold," he said and he pulled the covers back and gently maneuvered her under them and then himself in beside her. He stretched one arm out and turned off the bedside lamp. Mulder held her close, and they were face to face in the darkness.

"Mulder, what was..?" she started to ask in a small voice. She was almost afraid to ask. She had hurt him and she hated to admit it, but she had a half remembered sensation that she had enjoyed doing it. Their frenzy had been unbelievably pleasurable and even now her body buzzed with the memory of his and her own roughness.

"I thinking?" he replied guiltily.

"I was going to say, what was I thinking?" she sighed.

"Scully, I don't have an explanation, I just want to tell you I never meant for that to happen."

"Mulder, I think I enjoyed it," Scully interrupted him.

"What?" he asked as if he hadn't heard her correctly.

"I think, God, I, I can't believe it, but I think I enjoyed it."

"Really? Shit," Mulder replied. "I felt like I might have liked it too."

She put a finger to his lips and when she drew it away she could just make out the stain in the darkness. There was blood on his bottom lip. "Listen, Mulder, let, let's just forget this all right, chalk it up to hormones, or the stress of the past two weeks, or that damn piece of lingerie I bought...or whatever. Let's just go to sleep and forget about it," Scully said, fatigue and the need to forget dragging her down into sleep's embrace.

"Yeah, Scully, yeah," Mulder yawned, he was suddenly tremendously exhausted and he snuggled against Scully as she turned over onto her other side. He spooned closely against her and put one arm around her waist.

"I love you," Mulder breathed into her hair, as he drifted towards sleep. "Dana, I'm, I'm so sorry," he whispered.

"It's all right, and I love you too - Fox," she replied kissing his arm.

Later Mulder's bladder woke him, and he went to the bathroom to relieve himself. On the way back to the bedroom he thought he heard something in the living room. He considered going back for his weapon and then chided himself for being a bit too paranoid as he listened to the seemingly random, insignificant sound. He also debated waking Scully, thought better of it, and moved to shut the bedroom door as he crept out into the apartment. Cold winter darkness met him there. There was no moon to send light in through the windows. The street light in front of Scully's apartment was burned out. A quick sweep of the area told him there was no one in the rest of the apartment. Then he heard it again, an aimless scratching. It was coming from outside the front windows. He walked over and drew the curtain back. He was just in time to see a large dog running off across the street, through the dark. He jumped. "Crap," he hissed, startled. Then he chuckled as he glimpsed the dog's tail as it fled behind the apartment building across the street, "God, someone's going to be missing one huge mutt in the morning," he mused and then he went back to bed.

Across the street, and behind the other apartment near a dumpster, the huge red-furred shape stopped and crouched down. One large human like hand came up and pulled a tape recorder out of it's mouth. He exhaled a cloud of steam into the cold night air. Setting the device down on the cement, the creature fumbled around with the bugging device it was also carrying and then crushed it accidentally between it's powerful taloned fingers.

"Shit..." the wolf thing cursed gutturally as it tossed the useless piece of electronics up into the dumpster. 'I'd better watch it with the recorder,' he thought as he carefully depressed the off button. "Success!" he growled as the tape stopped running.

"Oh, man, you're going to love this you butt puffing bastard," the thing hissed as he tucked the recorder under one massive arm. He glanced back around the dumpster in the direction of the apartment opposite. He knew the asshole FBI guy was watching him. He could feel it. He chuckled at what he had just made the skinny creep and his little women do. It had been easy to follow them around town during their little shopping expedition that afternoon. And equally easy to make the mind link that allowed him to influence them later. The only thing that hadn't been easy was listening to him fuck her brains out tonight. "Yeah, how come he got some, and I'm stuck out here with a major case of blue balls?" he snarled. Such was the lot of the subservient wolf - even if he was an enforcer. "Cocksucker," he rumbled running his long pink tongue around his feral lips. Then he lifted his leg and urinated copiously on the side of the dumpster. "Welcome to the jungle, Agent Mulder," he said and then he turned, and rising onto two legs, loped off into the shadows.

Scully pulled her car up in front of the departure terminal at Dulles airport to drop Mulder off for his flight to Milwaukee on Sunday afternoon. They had got up that morning and neither of them had mentioned what had happened the night before. In truth, Scully could barely remember what had transpired. The events had seemed almost like a dream. If it hadn't been for her bruises, and Mulder's arm she would have thought it had been a dream - a brutal, aberrant nightmare.

She could tell that Mulder was still deeply upset about hurting her, and he had gone out of his way to show his care and love by touching her tenderly every chance he got all morning long. She bore him no blame. His arm was testament enough to her participation in their sadistic sexual gymnastics. The whole incident was better forgotten for now. She'd consider talking to him about it when he got back from Milwaukee - maybe. 'God, I'll have a lot to discuss with him when he gets back,' she thought sighing. Mulder had gotten out and she popped the tailgate. He was getting his duffel bag out of the trunk as she got out and walked back to him.

"Be careful out there, Mulder, don't eat too much kielbasa," she said as he hefted the duffel's strap over his shoulder.

"Hey, I hate that stuff," he grinned back at her boyishly. Her heart did a back flip, because he looked so handsome in his LL Bean foul weather gear, jeans, and hiking boots.

"Well, at least you won't have to smell the alewives this time," she smiled. Then she stepped forward and hugged him hard around the middle. He dropped the duffel and threw his arms around her shoulders.

"God, I'm going to miss you, Scully," he said.

"Well, it's only for a couple of days, I'll see you Wednesday," she told him. "And, Mulder. I am going to talk to my Mother while you're gone. I'll, I'll..."

"I know, Scully, don't worry about it, all right. Say hello to your Mom for me," he was grinning again as he picked up his duffel bag. He turned and went into the terminal. Scully watched him go, and then she got back into her car, and pulled away from the curb, heading for home.

Across the city, in a glass fronted, concrete and steel, sterile, office building, a man dressed in conservative black sat behind a desk in an office on the top floor. He picked up another Morley, lit it and sucked the acrid smoke deep into his lungs. As he exhaled, he pushed the button on the cassette recorder again, and then used the same hand to adjust the headphones on his head.

'Yes,' he thought. 'Mr. Rimmer certainly knows his business, this tape's audio quality is crystal clear,' he coughed slightly as he listened impassively to the sounds on the tape. The first part of the tape he found particularly - he fished for a term - touching? No, cloying was a better choice. Yes, saccharine - as Mulder proposed to the love of his life. God what a moment,' he thought. Somewhere in the organ in his chest that passed for a heart, he felt joy for Mulder, and ultimate sorrow for something he would never experience - at least never again experience, although he had come close - once. As he listened to Mulder expressing his love, however, his cold calculating mind sealed off his heart, and he sneered at the sounds on the tape. 'Weak, weak, weak,' he thought, the man is weak, and I'm going to use that against him again and again. It's frustrating really, you'd think he'd learn.' he mused stubbing out the cigarette in the ashtray near his arm. He lit up another, and settled back, because the second part of the tape was much more interesting.

He hadn't believed Rimmer at first when the man had told him what he could do, so he had asked for a little demonstration. Rimmer had been only too happy to oblige, so he had supplied him with the necessary sophisticated bugging device and the location of the apartment. Rimmer had indeed done the rest. His influence over the two FBI Agents had been total and absolute and quite incredible to listen too. 'Hmmm, maybe I should have requested video instead,' he considered as he listened to Scully's screams on the tape. He felt a tightness in his groin and then he started to become hard. He took the cigarette out of his mouth and put it down in the ash tray. 'Talk about coming back from the dead', he chuckled.

His return to power had been complete and a direct result from the good sense of faking his own death. That ploy had worked better then even his wildest dreams could have expected, and he had been able to consolidate his position all over again. Revenge had been sweet and it would be even sweeter soon, he thought, gently massaging his swelling organ. Just as he was contemplating seriously taking matters into his own hands, his phone rang. He flipped off the cassette recorder, took off the headphones, and picked up the receiver, hissing into it, "Yes? Very well, send him in." He picked up the half burned cigarette and took a drag on it as the office door opened.

A tall, impeccably dressed man walked in. The man had ice blue eyes and hair as golden red as a setting autumn sun. He stood formerly in front of the smoking man's desk and inclined his head.

"Sit down, Mr. Rimmer," the man said indicating the chair in front of the desk. Rimmer sat down.

"Well?" he asked quietly, "Did the tape meet with your approval?" he had a very upper class British accent.

"As a matter of fact, the tape is superb," the man replied blowing smoke in his direction. Rimmer wrinkled his nose and coughed slightly.

"So, I take it that means you would like to employ my services?" he asked moistening his lips with the tip of his pink tongue.

"Yes, I believe I would like to do that, Mr. Rimmer," the man answered, "I believe I would."

Fox Mulder walked through the airport terminal towards the departure gate for his flight to Milwaukee. He was still troubled over his actions of the night before. He still couldn't imagine what had come over him, or Scully for that matter. He didn't blame her for biting him. She had bitten him when he had restrained her, it had almost been self defense. But the rest of it - God. Had she really enjoyed all that? Had he really enjoyed it? Rough sex had never really been his scene, it had been one of Phoebe Green's many scenes, and yes, another aspect of their relationship that he abhorred to this day. He shook his head to clear his mind as he walked down the concourse.

Mulder reached the baggage check with it's x-ray and metal detectors. He placed his duffel bag on the conveyer and then flashed his FBI identification, and displayed both his guns. The Sheriff on duty raised an eyebrow at the ankle holster but he was waved on through anyway. As he walked on down to the gate his thoughts still churned a bit.

'I guess I should just chalk last night up to that fucking Philly homicide case, and the stress of the last two weeks,' Mulder thought, 'I'll think about talking it over with Scully when I get back. I guess we're going to have a lot to talk about,' he sighed. But his mood lifted slightly when he remembered their Friday evening and how wonderful it had been with the relaxing soak together. Despite their argument things had turned around for the better. Seeing her laughing at his proposal had been icing on the cake. When he thought about Friday he felt like he was walking on air even if he wasn't sure what her answer would be. Even the anticipation of her answer was exciting - a new and refreshing feeling for him.

'Why can't you do anything conventionally?' she had asked. 'Because I like to surprise you and see you laugh,' he thought smiling to himself. 'If acting like an idiot will let me see that smile in your eyes, Scully, I'll be happy to drool down my shirt for you any time,' he added to himself, grinning. As he smiled a voice interrupted his pleasant revelry.

"Hey, G-man what are you grinning at?"

Mulder looked over beside him and then down into the face of Melvin Frohike, Lone Gunman, photographer and occasional partner in crime.

"Frohike?" Mulder raised an eyebrow, "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Catching a plane, Mr. FBI, what do you think?" Frohike replied grinning as they reached the gate area for the Milwaukee flight.

"On this flight?" Mulder winced. 'Oh oh,' he thought.

"Yeah, I'm going to Milwaukee, Mulder. Surprise!" and then Frohike cracked up. The look on Mulder's face causing the photographer to dissolve helplessly into one of the plastic chairs.

"You're flying to Milwaukee? What for?" Mulder fished, confused.

Frohike struggled to compose himself as he looked up at the blinking Mulder.

"Yeah, I didn't want to tell you, big guy, but I'm going to Milwaukee for that Whisper Group meeting. I'm giving a paper on the use of special filters in photographing psychic phenomenon. You know - how to get a better look under the ghostly sheets," he guffawed.

Mulder put his duffel down on the floor and sat down heavily into a chair next to Frohike.

"So, why didn't you mention this to me earlier, when you hacked that file, and helped Scully and I last week?" Mulder asked.

"Well, you two were so busy, and you looked like someone had run you both over. I just decided to let sleeping dogs lie. Hell, it wasn't important at the time. I just thought I'd surprise you out in the dairy state. I had no idea we'd be on the same flight," he sat back and unbuttoned his leather coat. His battered carry-on was at his feet along with his rather impressive and much newer camera case.

"So I'm going to be blessed with your company for the entire trip?" Mulder asked, "Hey, and why didn't Janet mention you were giving a presentation?"

"She probably thought I'd tell you. Jimmy Rafferty was the one that invited me anyway. I'm staying at his place," Frohike answered, "And yeah, we're going to be traveling companions, Mulder. Kind of cool hey? A road trip, just like *Easy Rider*."

'Thank God for small favors,' Mulder thought. Janet had arranged to have Mulder stay at an FBI owned apartment in downtown Milwaukee. 'And who am I, Peter Fonda?' he thought, 'I guess that makes Frohike, Dennis Hopper,' he mused looking at the grizzled little photographer. Well, hey, Frohike was all right. He had helped them more then he would ever know in that pharmaceutical case, as well as so many times before. Mulder liked the guy. He was a friend. A geek, but a friend nonetheless. But then Mulder was an acknowledged geek himself. He smiled at Frohike, "Yeah, well, you're dressed for the part," he joked, slapping the lapel of Frohike's leather jacket.

"Only the best quality goods for me," Frohike laughed. "And besides, leather jackets really turn the ladies on," he arched an eyebrow.

Mulder guffawed himself this time.

"And speaking of ladies, Mulder, how is the enigmatic Agent Scully?" he asked. Frohike had a thing for Scully, of course. It was equal parts serious, good natured fun, and healthy sexual attraction, and Mulder sometimes thought he was really a bit in love with her too. He always tried to respect Frohike's feelings regarding Scully just in case they were actually a little deeper then his off color jokes and leers indicated. Sometime soon he was going to have to tell him about his own relationship with her. He didn't want the guy to make a fool out of himself around her. He owed him more respect.

"Ever enigmatic," Mulder answered smiling, "She's doing fine, Frohike. In fact, she did say to tell you thanks for helping on the case the next time I saw you. You really were instrumental in solving it," he added.

Frohike visibly swelled. He was smiling from ear to ear, "It was my pleasure, Mulder, after all, when you need the best you know you two can always count on me," he was almost bobbing up and down from the flattery.

"Right," Mulder suppressed a laugh. They were interrupted by the announcement that their flight was boarding and both men picked up their luggage and headed for the entrance to the plane's gangway. As they talked and joked neither man noticed the tall, red headed Tony Rimmer as he picked up his suitcase and boarded the plane after them.

The flight was uneventful. Mulder tried to doze a bit, but Frohike had left his seat and taken the empty one next to Mulder in order to talk to him about his photographic presentation. Mulder actually got interested in what Frohike had to say, but then he asked him to stop giving so much of the presentation away. "Hey I have to have something left to listen to during the Whisper meeting besides my own voice," he joked. Frohike had laughed and put his lenses and camera back into his camera case. They made small talk again but then Frohike started to nod off and Mulder suggested the grizzled Lone Gunman put his seat back and nap. Frohike yawned and complied with the suggestion. 'Good,' Mulder thought, 'now I can do the same,' and he put his seat back as well, stretched out his legs as best he could, and shut his eyes. The next thing Mulder knew the fasten seat belt sign was coming on again with a ding, and the plane was making it's approach over the lake and into Milwaukee's airport. It was 4 PM and the sun was starting to go down over the horizon.

"Mulder, Frohike," Janet Price called from the gate area of the United Airlines satellite terminal at Mitchell Field in Milwaukee. Mulder smiled and waved back. Frohike was hurrying forward through the crowd to meet her. As Mulder hefted his duffel to follow, a tall, red headed man bumped into him. Mulder turned to look at the expensive leather coat the guy was wearing and then he looked up into his eyes. They were ice blue, cold, and bottomless. Mulder blinked and when he opened his eyes again the man was gone. He shook his head, 'Welcome to Milwaukee, Mr. Freeze,' he thought, shivering slightly. He suddenly had an impression that someone was walking over his grave, and it startled him. But, as quickly as the feeling of dread was there, it dissipated slightly, and Mulder was grinning again because Janet was laughing as he drew near. Frohike had dropped his bags and grabbed her in an excited hug.

"Janet, you look like a million bucks," Frohike slapped her on the back. They were pretty much the same height. "Hey, you've cut your hair, it looks great!" he complimented her.

"Wow, Frohike it really must be a good look for me if you noticed the change," she teased pounding his back as well. Besides being the same height, they both wore thick glasses and leather jackets, and Mulder thought they looked like they could almost be brother and sister. Janet's short white-blond hair bounced around her head as she released Frohike, and then she turned towards Mulder, a beaming smile on her face.

"Mulder...." she began.

Mulder stepped forward and to Janet's surprise, he also dropped his bag and hugged her tight. Her face was crushed into his chest at a level slightly lower then Scully's would have been. Her glasses were pushed askew.

"Mulder, how the hell have you been," she giggled, pulling away from him and looking up into his face.

"I'm great, Janet, and Frohike's right, the do is you," he laughed as she punched him lightly in the stomach.

"We'd better get out of the way here you guys, I think we're blocking traffic," she said and the three compatriots gathered themselves together and headed up into the main terminal.

"So, Janet, where's Jimmy?" Frohike asked as they passed the shops and bars that lined the route.

"Oh, Jim stayed back at the *Whisper House*. He had some tapes he was listening to from our last investigation and you know how he is when he gets involved - you can't pry him away," Janet replied with humor.

"So the House remodeling is done?" Mulder asked looking over and down at the smaller women.

"Oh, thank God, yes it is - I didn't tell you guys. We're all moved in and well - I sort of wanted it to be a surprise. I'm really proud of it," she enthused, "Wait till you see the place."

Mulder was very pleased for her. Janet Price had been dreaming for years of a special headquarters for *The Whisper Group*. A large house somewhere on the eclectic East Side of Milwaukee, near the university where like minded individuals could stay and study the occult and the supernatural. Several years before, after the death of her parents left her a small inheritance, Janet had purchased an old boarding house on Shepard Avenue. Now it seemed her dream had come to fruition and Mulder grinned because Janet was almost walking on air.

"Wow, that's fantastic, Janet," Frohike added, beaming also.

"Yeah, great, I'll really look forward to the grand tour," Mulder interjected as they reached the main part of the terminal and headed towards the parking garage exit.

"Well, you'll be getting more than a tour actually, Mulder, you'll both be staying there for the duration," Janet replied a bit of embarrassment in her voice.

"Both staying where?" Mulder asked, his voice rising an octave.

Frohike started to laugh.

"Did you know about this too?" Mulder asked, annoyance creeping into his voice as he squinted at Frohike.

"Cool your jets, Mulder," Janet hastened to break up any animosity.

"No, it's OK, Janet, I deserve it. I neglected to tell the G-man that I was coming out for the conference. But, no, Mulder, I had no idea we'd be bunking together," Frohike smirked, "Jim just said I'd be staying at his place."

"Well, for God sake, we do have separate rooms for you," Janet sighed, "Look, Mulder. I tried to get that FBI owned apartment for you, but the office is keeping a witness in it right now. So, I thought this would be the next best thing. If it's a problem I can arrange for a room at the Hyatt, downtown. That's where the conference it taking place."

Mulder ran a hand through his hair. Crap he hadn't meant to jump on Janet or Frohike. He just seemed tense. He had since he bumped into that tall guy at the gate. 'Get a grip, Mulder,' he thought. 'These people are amongst the friends you can count on one hand, for crying out loud. What's the problem?'

"Hey, I'm sorry you two. I guess I'm still a little fried from the last couple of weeks. Scully and I had some trouble with a case in Philadelphia, Janet - it's still got me sort of over a barrel," he offered in way of an apology.

Frohike gave him a sympathetic look and patted him on the back, "No problem amigo, no offense taken," he hurried to say.

"Apology accepted here as well," Janet was grinning again, "And Mulder, you can feel free to relax in Milwaukee. You're a guest of *The Whisper Group* - consider this a mini vacation."

Mulder smiled at Janet and attempted to shake off his formless feelings of edginess. By the time they reached the inside of the parking garage he felt a bit better, and he hefted his duffel bag as they approached a new deluxe long body Dodge Caravan in one of the parking stalls.

"Whoa, Janet is this yours?" Frohike asked running his hand along the hood of the black vehicle. Mulder walked over and read the logo *The Whisper Group*. *Psychic investigators* was written in small letters underneath and the group's address and phone number under it, all emblazoned in white along the side.

"This IS nice, Janet," he said.

"Well, it's one of two we are now proud to owe payments on," she laughed. The other is identical except it's full of equipment. This one does chauffeuring duties. Gentlemen..." she added opening one of the large side doors.

Mulder and Frohike climbed into the back, and dumping their bags at their feet, took the bench seat. Janet climbed into the front seat and turned the key in the ignition. She backed the van out of the stall and they drove out of the parking garage, and out onto Howell Avenue.

"Scenic or fast and dirty route?" Janet asked.

"Scenic," Mulder and Frohike answered in unison, and then all three of them burst into laughter, and Mulder felt most of his tension drain away.

Janet pulled the van into the two and half car garage next to the large three story white boarding house on Shepard Avenue. Mulder and Frohike got out and followed her around to the columned porch that stretched full length across the front of the edifice. There was a tasteful sign to the left of the double front doors that said *The Whisper Group - Paranormal Investigation and Research*. Janet unlocked the front door and they passed through the vestibule, and through the inner double doors into the front hallway. Mulder and Frohike put their luggage under a large side table that sat against one wall. All three hung their coats on a clothes tree nearby.

Jimmy Rafferty was pounding down the large sailing ship style staircase that faced the doorway, an enormous grin on his face, "Hey, hey, hey, welcome to Brewtown," he laughed bouncing up to Frohike and grabbing his hand and arm.

"Jimbo!" Frohike laughed pumping the younger man's hand up and down.

Rafferty was taller, and much more muscular than Mulder, and as blond as Janet. He dwarfed the photographer and Mulder suppressed a guffaw as the two proceeded to pummel each other on the back. Rafferty released Frohike and then spun around to grab Mulder's hand in a death grip.

"Rafferty," Mulder smiled broadly as the blond giant shook his entire arm.

"Mulder, Mulder, Mulder, how the hell are you," he asked, his green eyes shining.

"Well, except for the broken arm, I'm doing great," he joked as Rafferty stopped shaking and guffawed loudly.

"Glad to hear it Mr. GQ or should I say, LL Bean. I like those boots," he added grinning at Mulder.

"Hey, jumping bean, how about me?" Janet laughed as Rafferty turned towards her voice.

"Oh, sorry babe, I just got carried away with these two reprobates," he teased walking over to her and sweeping her up into his arms. He squeezed her tight and planted a kiss on her head, "That better?"

"Much," she smiled up into his eyes.

Frohike and Mulder exchanged glances and Frohike was smiling like the Cheshire cat. Well, obviously here was a little development he had also neglected to tell Mulder about. Janet Price had been a very lonely woman for quite some time having been through a bad early marriage with a husband who abused her. She had known Jim Rafferty for a number of years as a good and faithful friend. Now it appeared that the relationship had taken a new turn. Mulder sighed. The parallels between his relationship with Scully were only too obvious. Frohike continued to grin at him, and soon Mulder was caught up in the moment as well, and smiled back at the Lone Gunman.

"So, something you'd like to tell me, Janet, besides "Welcome to the new Whisper House," Mulder chuckled looking at the mismatched couple.

Rafferty looked from Janet, to Frohike, to Mulder, and back to Janet again. "Didn't you tell him?" he asked confused.

Janet laughed, "No, I got as far as telling Frohike but, well, I just didn't have time to say anything to Mulder."

"Oh for Pete's sake, Janet," Rafferty winced slightly shamefaced.

Mulder was still chuckling at the two of them.

"Mulder, I guess it's obvious by now anyway, but I'll make it official - Janet and I are getting married, the date's set for this June," he smiled gently over at the much shorter woman.

Mulder looked at Janet then, and saw the ring on her finger. He chuckled, 'Should have spotted that one, Doh!'

"Hey, congratulations," Mulder reached forward and took Rafferty's hand again. He shook it vigorously. Then he let his hand go and walking over to Janet looked down into her face. "Congratulations, mighty mouse," he said quietly. It was his pet name for her, and Janet smiled up into his eyes. Mulder took her gently into his embrace and hugged her close. He really was tremendously happy for her, and despite the poignancy of the similarity with his and Scully's situation, he let his pleasure in the news of her impending marriage have free reign.

Janet pulled away from Mulder and there were tears in her eyes behind her thick spectacles. "God, Mulder, I...thanks so much," she was flustered.

Rafferty stepped forward to her aid, "Hey, you two, you have to take a tour of this place. You gotta see what Janet has done with it!"

"Oh, Jim, come on, take some of the credit - the place wouldn't be anywhere near ready if it hadn't been for you," Janet added jabbing him in the ribs.

"Let's see it then, if you two can cut out the mutual admiration society," Frohike playfully grouched.

"Right O Fro - follow the guide and keep your hands behind the ropes please," Rafferty laughed, sweeping his hand around the hallway.

Rafferty lead them around the house and both Mulder and Frohike were soon impressed with the remodeling job. On the ground floor there was a small but comprehensive research library to the right of the front door. Mulder noticed many rare volumes on the occult. On the left was a den and a large dining room with a huge wooden table and chairs at it's center. There was a charming plant filled room off the dining room and then a hallway that lead to the back of the house into a huge kitchen and laundry room. Once they had seen the ground floor they proceeded to the second floor up the sweeping staircase.

"These are some private testing and conference rooms up here and three sleeping rooms. This is where we're going to put you guys, if that's ok?" Janet asked.

"No problem, here," Mulder replied. He wanted to make up for his earlier graceless comments regarding the accommodations.

"Looks fine to me too," Frohike added.

"Fantastic," Rafferty chimed in. Let's head upstairs. The third floor consisted of four individual sleeping rooms and a larger double room suite.

"Uh, this is our suite," Janet said shyly glancing at her fiancee, indicating the door to the rooms.

Mulder smiled at her and Frohike did his best not to leer for a change.

There's an attic above us, but it's just storage. Let's go down to the basement - that's where this house really shines," Rafferty was saying as they all turned to trudge back down the stairs.

The group went all the way downstairs and into the circular hallway that bounded the stairs, the dining room, and kitchen. There was a door just off the right of the stairs. Janet opened it and Mulder could see over her head at the steps leading down. "Watch out you guys, these are a little steep," she warned as they made to descend.

Rafferty had reached past Frohike and turned on a light switch at the head of stairs. The room below them was bathed in bright white light. When they reached the bottom of the stairs a huge room, running the length of the house, stretched before them. It was filled with every kind of equipment imaginable from computers to sophisticated photographic equipment, and Frohike whistled in obvious appreciation.

"Holy shit, you two. Wait till Langly and Byers hear about this," he exclaimed with delight, moving off into the room, and rubbing his hands together. Rafferty hastened to follow and the two friends were instantly caught up in a discussion over a new computer Rafferty had on a work bench nearby. Mulder and Janet stood together at the bottom of the stairs and shook their heads in amusement.

"Well, I guess that's it for the tour," Mulder said, smiling slightly at Janet.

"I guess so, you know how they are," she chuckled.

Mulder sat down on the steps so he could look Janet more directly in the eyes, "Janet, I am really happy for you," he said quietly.

"Thanks Mulder, I, well, that means a lot coming from you," she replied laying a hand briefly on his shoulder. "But, Mulder, are you ok? I mean you did seem awfully tense. Is there anything you'd like to talk about?" Janet asked with concern.

"No, it's ok, Janet. I'm just still beat from the casework, that's all. I'm sure the time here is going to help me to relax. Don't worry about it."

"All right, but remember if there's anything you need to vent about, I'm here, Spooky," she whispered.

"Thanks, lady," he smiled up at her.

Janet turned and called over to the two occupied photographers. "Hey, Frohike, don't you want to see your room?"

"Oh, yeah, I guess I should stow my stuff," Frohike replied.

"Well, let's go back upstairs and get it," Rafferty offered and all four made the pilgrimage back to the first floor hallway.

Mulder and Frohike retrieved their gear. Mulder carried his coat and his duffel and Frohike shrugged his coat back on. Rafferty excused himself to answer the telephone that was wringing insistently from the den. "See you guys later," he said.

Janet lead them back up to the second floor, "The rooms have individual sinks and toilets but the shower and tub are at the back of this floor. The linen closet is back there too if you guys need any more towels. Also, we're on the sweat equity system here folks - you make up your own beds. We can't have everything I guess," she laughed.

"Gee, just like college," Frohike grinned at Mulder as the Agent grimaced slightly.

"Well, this room is yours if you want it Frohike," Janet was saying indicating the first room at the top of the stairs. "And Mulder you can bunk next to him, all right?"

"No sweat, Janet," Frohike smiled at her and opened the door to the room.

"Thanks for the hospitality, Janet, I really mean it," Mulder grinned at her and squeezed her hand with affection.

"Oh, I almost forgot," she said reaching into her jean's pocket, "we have keys so you can lock up your valuables and get in the front door as well," she added handing them both two keys.

"Why don't you guys get settled and then come back downstairs. Jim and I would like to treat you all to dinner tonight, we thought Japanese if you wouldn't mind. We made reservations at Izumis - they serve great sushi."

"All right!" Frohike agreed with enthusiasm.

"Sounds like a plan, Janet," Mulder added.

"All right, I'm going to go downstairs and find out who that was on the phone. You guys come on back downstairs as soon as you're ready. No big rush - our reservations are for 8 PM."

"Cool," Frohike replied opening the door to this room. "See you all in a bit," he added shutting the door behind him.

"Later, Mulder," Janet called back over her shoulder as she headed back down the stairs.

Mulder opened the door to his room and walked in. It was plain but comfortable looking with a full sized bed, dresser, night stand, desk chair, and reading lamp. The bathroom and closet were small but adequate. Mulder walked over and placed his duffel bag down on the chair at the desk. He took his cell phone out of his coat pocket, threw the coat on the bed, and flipped open the cover on the cell phone. He sat down on the bed and dialed Scully's number.

The phone only rang twice. "Scully," her voice reached his ear over the distance.

"Hey, Scully," he smiled into the phone, "Miss me yet?"

"Miss you much," she replied. He could hear the love in her voice and his heart did a handstand in his chest.

"How was the flight?" she was asking.

"Uneventful except Frohike was on it," he chuckled.

"Frohike?" Scully replied, confused.

"Yeah, the little dweeb neglected to tell me he was coming out here for this conference. He's the other keynote speaker."

"Oh for God's sake," Scully snorted into the phone.

"Well, his paper does sound kind of interesting - I got a sneak preview on the plane," Mulder replied.

"Thank heavens for small favors," Scully said.

"Yeah."

"So, when do you take center stage?" she asked.

"The conference is only one day - I go on Tuesday afternoon. I guess I'm being left to my own devices tomorrow. We're all having dinner tonight."

"Sounds nice," she answered.

"Hey, and guess what, Scully? Janet and Jimmy Rafferty are getting married."

There was silence on the other end of the line for a second and then Scully replied, "Get out, Mulder!"

"No, really, the weddings in June," he insisted.

"My God, tell her I said congratulations. Mulder, that, that's wonderful!" Scully enthused.

"Yeah, they seem really happy," Mulder agreed, "And oh by the way, the Whisper House is now a reality, and Frohike and I are both staying here for the conference."

"That's marvelous!" Scully replied, "Lord, I am so excited for her, for them," she added.

"So, I guess I'd better get going," Mulder said.

"All right, and Mulder, my mother is definitely coming back tomorrow afternoon. She called again to let me know, and I volunteered to pick her up at the airport so she wouldn't have to take a cab. I'm going to talk her into visiting me, Mulder. We, I'm going to have that talk with her." There was nervous anticipation in her voice, but Mulder thought he also heard resolve there as well.

"Well, that's good Scully, I, I really appreciate it. Say hi to your Mom for me," Mulder replied kindly, chewing on his lower lip.

"All right," she answered quietly and then she added, "I love you, Mulder."

"I love you too, Scully, I'll call you tomorrow night, OK?"

"No, I'd better try to call you, I'm not sure what's going to happen tomorrow night," she said, a grin in her voice. "I'll give you a call Tuesday sometime and let you know how things went."

Mulder grinned as well then, "OK, Scully, I'll expect your call. Good luck."

"Thanks, Mulder," and she broke the connection. Mulder turned off the phone with a sigh and tossed it over onto the top of his duffel bag. 'I hope Margaret Scully has more of an open mind then her son, or else this ship is going to go down fast,' he thought staring off into space, lost in his emotions.

In downtown Milwaukee a dark blue Ford Taurus pulled up to the Phister Hotel on Wisconsin Avenue. A very dapper Tony Rimmer stepped out, garment bag grabbed from the back seat, in hand. He handed the keys to the valet so that the rental car could be parked in the hotel garage. He watched as the car was driven away, exhaling into the cold early evening air. The Phister was his kind of hotel. Old and richly appointed, it oozed class and history. It wasn't new, bland and uninteresting like the Hyatt or Whyndham Suite hotels across the river. The tall red headed enforcer walked in through the front entrance and into the lobby. He inhaled the many scents with delight. God, he loved coming to a new city. There were so many sensations to explore. He still remembered the scent of that prick, Mulder, from the airport. He had bumped into him to get his smell and then to just tweak his mind a little for fun. He'd also smelled the heady aroma of the FBI Agent's girl friend on his clothing and skin. He idly wondered if the dickhead had fucked her again in the morning after Rimmer's little induced night of debauchery. It didn't quite smell like it though, so he supposed the creep had held himself back. 'What a schmuck,' he thought, 'if I had a piece of ass around like that I'd bang it every chance I got,' he thought with a sneer, as he walked up to the hotel registration desk. 'Well, plenty of time to entertain myself with Mr. Mulder,' he mused, 'the game is about to begin in earnest."

"May I help you sir," the dark haired woman behind the desk asked him.

"Yes, you can my dear, I have a reservation, Anthony Rimmer," he replied, a feral grin oh his lips.

Mulder got ready to leave his room after unpacking and putting his clothing away in the dresser. He had changed into his black turtle neck and a sports coat for dinner out. He was rather proud that the rolled up coat had survived the trip in his duffel bag without becoming too wrinkled. He slipped his cell phone into his jacket pocket. He kept his holster and weapon on his belt behind his back, and under the sports coat. He had removed the ankle holster and left it, along with it's gun, in the desk drawer. Mulder finally jammed his ID into his back pocket, picked up his LL. Bean outer coat, and opening the room's door walked out into the upstairs hallway. Frohike was nowhere to be seen so he headed for the stairs without him. He glanced at his watch. It was 7 PM all ready. His stomach growled loudly and he grinned sheepishly, 'Looks like it's lucky I don't have much longer to wait for dinner.' He walked down the stairs.

He could hear Frohike, Janet and Jim Rafferty talking in the den. As he crossed the hallway to join them the front door bell rang. "I'll get it," he called into the den, and he crossed over to the large doors to the vestibule, stopping to hang his coat on the coat tree. Mulder yanked the doors open with an authoritative pull and then his mouth dropped open, and he blinked in shock at the figure standing there getting ready to knock on the inner doors.

"Good evening, Agent Mulder," the silky voice of the statuesque Sian Phillips said, with a smile, and gleam in her striking green eyes.

Mulder just stared, prompting the blond to say, "May I come in?" He stepped back, and she walked past him into the hallway.

Janet was coming out of the den along with Rafferty and Frohike, "Sian, I'm glad you could make it," she was smiling as the taller woman took off her coat and placed it on the coat tree.

"I appreciate the dinner invitation," she replied graciously turning to face the group, "it's nice to be included in your plans. You make a new girl in town feel very welcome."

"New? You've been here six months!" Rafferty laughed.

Frohike was ogling Sian Phillips like he had never seen a woman before, and Mulder's expression wasn't much better. Janet looked from one to the other and then asked, "Do you three know each other or something?"

"Uh, no," Frohike gulped.

"Yes, Ms. Phillips and I have had the pleasure," Mulder finally found his voice.

Jim Rafferty chimed in, "You've met?" he asked.

"Yes, as Agent Mulder said, we've had that pleasure," Sian smiled at Mulder as he struggled to swallow.

Sian Phillips had a secret identity, of course. She was a werewolf, plain and simple. She had also been the librarian at the Addison Public library during Mulder and Scully's brush with death under the hands of the murderous werewolf Ross Baker. Sian was sort of a canine hit woman for the hidden society of shapeshifters that walked among human kind. She had saved their lives in Addison by killing Ross Baker. She had also helped to heal Mulder's injuries and at Scully's request, wiped his memory clean of the horrendous fact that Baker had raped him while he and Scully had been held hostage.

Mulder wouldn't remember that she was a wolf either, he thought he had saved Scully and killed Baker. Sian had wiped her shapeshifing identity from his mind. But he did remember his first impression of her in the summer heat of the Addison public library basement, along with the memory of the instant, awkwardly embarrassing hard on he had gotten on the occasion. Her non-human presence still affected him without his realization and it was made slightly worse by the fact that Sian had been in intimate psychic contact with him during the fateful events in Addison. She was slightly amused about the effect she was having on him despite Mulder's discomfort. It was always nice to know one hadn't lost one's touch. However, she remembered Scully, and her love for this man, and she hastened to touch his hand. She shook it, and as she did so, she sent out a calming tendril of psychic energy into his mind. Mulder visibly relaxed and returned the handshake with a smile.

Frohike was bobbing around like he was stepping on hot coals. "Oh, Sian, this is Melvin Frohike," Rafferty quickly added.

"Frohike? Didn't you write that article in the last newsletter - the article on spirit photography?" she asked with interest.

Frohike puffed up like a blow fish, "Right, yes, I wrote it."

"Well, we'll have to discuss that further, Melvin, it was very interesting," Sian smiled and shook his hand.

Frohike practically fell over, and Mulder suppressed his laughter. The guy looked like he had no idea what to do with the attention Mulder thought.

Mulder, Frohike and Sian Phillips continued to talk, and as they did so Jim Rafferty pulled Janet Price aside and whispered into her ear.

"Did you know he knew her?" he asked.

"No, she didn't say a thing about it," Janet replied frowning.

"Well, this could be a little awkward," Jim hissed.

"Not really, I mean they seem friendly. Maybe that will be an advantage."

"God, Janet I still can't believe you tried to set him up with her like this, it, it's so contrived."

"Oh come on, Jimmy, Mulder's unattached, and I know he's lonely. He's such a workaholic he has no social life. It's about time somebody introduced him to a nice woman for a change."

"All right, all right. But let's hope this little blind date works or we could all be eating crow in the morning," he finished.

Sian was laughing at something Mulder had said, and Janet glanced at Jim with a look that said "See, I told you so," "Well, I vote we get going, folks, personally, I'm starving," she said aloud.

"I'll second that motion," Mulder replied and they all gathered up their coats and exited the house for the garage and the drive to Izumis.

As the black van pulled out and away from Shepard Avenue, past Sian Phillip's parked Toyota RAV4, a silent figure sat up into full view inside the blue Ford Taurus. Tony Rimmer licked his lips. 'Hmmm, this is an interesting development,' he thought as he caught a glimpse of Sian Phillip's head in the passing van's window. 'So the she-wolf is in residence,' he grinned, 'Well, the more the merrier,' he chuckled. Tony knew Sian. He had worked with her once and had a grudging admiration for her skills as a killer. She could be a formidable adversary, but he welcomed the challenge if it was too come.

Tony was late of the British Isle branch of the shapeshifting clan. He had only come to the states comparatively recently, having been sent as an official emissary by the London area alpha wolf. His mission was to gather information on the colonies comings and goings. There was some intrigue and rivalry between the old world and new world clans, and Tony enjoyed his investigative capacity. He also enjoyed the liberal leeway in the business that the alpha wolf had given him. Tony's little side jobs, like this one for the cigarette smoking bastard, were part of the perks of his occupation as spy and enforcer. He enjoyed every minute of the moonlighting - not to mention the lucrative cash he made. 'As long as I'm discreet anything goes,' he thought, stretching his back in the confines of the cars front seat. 'And if that bitch, Sian gets in the way, she's dead meat,' he added fishing around on the seat next to him, 'Now, where the fuck did I put those bugging devices?' he mused as his hand fell on the tiny box. 'Good, now I'd better get to work before the goon squad gets back here,' he finished exiting the car quietly, and heading towards the darkened *Whisper House*.

Izumis was packed so it was lucky that Janet had gotten their party reservations. The group of five was escorted to two pushed together tables in a small alcove off to the side and they were soon ensconced and perusing their menus. Janet made sure that Sian was seated between Mulder and Frohike and then she sat back with the hope that something would develop between Mulder and the stunning blond librarian. Once they had placed their orders they all began to chat while they waited for the food.

"So, how many people are coming to the conference?" Frohike asked Janet.

"We're expecting 100 people this year, it'll be a nice turn out," she replied.

"Yeah, I was really surprised," Jimmy added, "also, you guys, we're having an open house tomorrow up at Shepard Avenue. You're welcome to stick around for it or take off on your own. Whatever, either is fine."

"Sounds interesting," Mulder offered, "I'll probably stick around for a while."

"Yeah, me too, I'd like to see who shows up," Frohike added taking a sip of his Japanese beer.

"So, Sian, you're living in Milwaukee now?" Mulder asked the women to his left.

"Yes, Fox, I decided to move a little over six months ago. Addison was such a nice town, but quite frankly the pay there was making it hard for me to live comfortably. I'm a librarian at the main library downtown now. It's very rewarding so far, and Milwaukee is a nice smaller city. Everyone has been very friendly," she said smiling at him.

"So you're a member of *The Whisper Group*," Frohike asked staring at her. Mulder looked at him and he started to hope that the photographer wasn't going to make a fool out of himself in front of this woman. He made a mental note to watch Frohike's beer intake. The guy could get rather strange after he'd had too many.

Sian stared back at the smaller man and a smile played about her lips. For some odd reason she liked this little fellow. He was eccentric, but he had well, he had an interesting mind. She had just skimmed the surface of it when they had shaken hands, and it had proved as absorbing as the article he had written for *The Whisper Group* newsletter. He also had a very interesting scent that she found attractive. And he was a friend of Mulder's so he had that going for him as well. 'Hmmm, maybe I should get to know him a little better,' she mused as she formulated an answer to his question. "Yes, Melvin," I joined it almost right after I moved here. I've always had a terrific interest in the occult and supernatural. I have an interest in amateur photography as well so that part of the group's investigations fascinates me. Jimmy has been really helpful in honing my photographic skills," she nodded over at Rafferty, and then she fixed Frohike with a shining smile.

Frohike was poleaxed by this time. His brain was on auto pilot and he took a really deep swig of his beer as Sian picked up her cocktail and took a dainty sip of it. "Photography?" he asked, "Well, maybe we can talk about that a little more later," he managed to say.

"Yes, that would be nice, I'd like that," Sian replied staring into his glasses.

Mulder sat back and raised an eyebrow. 'Holy shit,' he thought, 'she's actually flirting with Frohike.'

Janet Price let a frown pass across her mouth. Her brow furrowed. She knew flirting when she saw it even though it wasn't something with which she had very much personal experience. 'What the heck is going on here?' she considered with confusion. 'How can Sian possibly be interested in Frohike, I mean, God.'

Jimmy Rafferty took in the scene and thought dismally, "Shit, I knew this was going to take a turn for the worse,' he thought. He liked Frohike a whole lot but this scene was well, a bit farfetched.

Their meals arrived and the food was outstanding. Everyone sampled each other's dishes, and sushi was passed wide around the table. Mulder and Sian continued to converse politely but it quickly became apparent to both Janet and Jimmy that neither one of them had much real interest in each other except in a friendly way. Sian and Frohike on the other hand were another story all together. Something was definitely brewing there and Janet was flabbergasted as the minutes ticked by.

The meal concluded all too soon it seemed to Janet and soon they were all pushing back from the table and having coffee.

"Janet, I want to thank you for bringing me here," Mulder said. "This was fantastic."

"Ditto here, Janet," Frohike burped, "Oh, sorry," he grinned sheepishly over at Sian.

"Yes, I must say Izumis out did themselves this evening," Sian added smiling all around.

"Well, I'd better get the check," Jimmy offered suppressing a yawn. "Sorry, it's been a long day," he added.

"Yeah, I could use some rest myself," Mulder agreed. The earlier tenseness had begun to take a toll on him and he did feel tired now.

"Well, ok we should get going, it'll be a busy day tomorrow for sure," Janet replied.

It was 10 PM when the van pulled up front of the house on Shepard Avenue. Janet wheeled it into a spot just behind Sian's parked Toyota. The temperature had dropped a bit and all five huddled together on the side walk saying their good-byes.

"See you tomorrow, Sian, 10 AM?" Janet asked.

"Wouldn't miss it," Sian smiled. Janet and Jimmy turned and headed towards the front porch. Mulder began to follow them. He glanced around to say something to Frohike but the photographer wasn't following him. He turned around and looked back. Frohike was engaged in an animated conversation with Sian Phillips. Mulder was amazed to see the tall woman place a hand on his arm in a very affectionate manner. Frohike was smiling and then he left her and walked up to where Mulder was waiting at the bottom of the porch stairs.

"Listen, uh, Mulder."

"Yeah?"

"I'm not coming in just yet. Sian, well, she's offered to go bar hopping with me a bit. I'm too buzzed from the trip and the meal anyway. I can't even think about turning in yet," he exhaled into the night air.

Mulder looked down into his face. He wanted to laugh but he didn't because Frohike really did look excited, and for once the dirty old man persona that he sometimes affected was absent. He looked like your average Joe that had just met a very attractive woman and wanted to enjoy her company for an innocent night out on the town. Mulder smiled at him.

"Hey, knock yourself out Frohike, we're on vacation after all. Sian seems like a nice person. Have a great time," he replied patting him on the shoulder.

"Ok, tell Janet and Jimmy I'll let myself in later. I have the key."

"Later, Frohike," Mulder called after him as he bounced back down to the waiting Sian Phillips.

Mulder walked back up onto the porch, opened the door and went inside. He walked into the glowering face of Janet Price standing right inside the door. "Mulder, we have to talk," she said gesturing towards the den.

Mulder stared after her, a perplexed look on his face. He took his coat off and walked over to the coat tree and slung it over one of the hooks. Then he followed Janet into the empty den.

"Where's Jim?" he asked looking around.

"He went up to bed," she stated flatly, and then she said, "So, Frohike went with Sian?"

"Yeah, I guess they hit it off, they went bar hopping. He was pretty keyed up. He said he'd let himself in later," Mulder grinned at her. Then he dropped the grin because he could plainly see that Janet was rather angry.

"What's the matter?" he asked her.

"Oh, Mulder," she shook her head and moved to sit down in one of the chairs. Mulder walked over and sat down on the couch next to her.

"What's wrong, Janet, did you and Jim have an argument?" he asked in total confusion.

"No, no, nothing like that, God, this is embarrassing. Maybe I should drop the subject."

"All right," Mulder answered beginning to become annoyed, "I'll just go to bed then, I'm beat," he started to rise.

"Mulder, I'm sorry, I'll explain," Janet hastened to stop him. She could see that not revealing her matchmaking plans to the truth seeking Agent would cause more harm then good so she plunged ahead without any further thought for her own embarrassment. Mulder sat back down on the couch.

"Mulder, you know how I hate the fact that you work all the time and have no social life..." she began.

Mulder ran a hand over his mouth, "Yeah, so, it's an old story, Janet, what's the big deal?"

"Well, I wish it wasn't the whole story, Mulder. I, well, I'm so happy now with Jimmy, you know and, I, I guess I've been guilty of trying to bring a little happiness into all my friend's lives lately. It hasn't always worked out for the best though," she replied sheepishly.

Mulder looked into her face and some of what she was getting at started to sink in. 'Oh, oh,' he thought, 'maybe now might be a good time to tell Janet about his news regarding his relationship with Scully'. Obviously his omission of that little item had created an awkward situation between Janet and himself, not to mention Janet and Jimmy as evidenced by his absence in this little conversation.

"So, Mulder, I'm really sorry about tonight. I tried to set you up with Sian. I just thought you'd make such a nice couple. God, what a stupid idea, and it obviously backfired!" she laughed a little as the image of Frohike with the statuesque blond came into her mind.

Mulder sensed what she was laughing at and he smiled over at her, "Hey, Janet, it's ok, really, I knew you meant well," he replied reaching over and patting her knee. "And listen, I don't think you have to worry about my social life for much longer anyway," he added quietly.

"What?" she asked her attention riveted on his face.

"Well, I guess I can tell you but, keep it under your hat, all right."

"Mulder?" she asked, a smile creeping into her eyes.

"Well, you met Scully that summer we came out here for that Addison case, you know, my partner, Dana Scully?" he began.

"The red head?" she asked quickly, "Yes, she seemed really nice, and professional...." she let her voice trail off, "Mulder, are you trying to say that you and Dana Scully...."

"Yeah," he grinned at her sheepishly.

She gave out a low whistle.

Mulder chuckled. "That's why I said to keep it under your hat, Janet, we both know the Bureau policy on this kind of thing. Besides you know more then you probably want to regarding the X-Files. That just complicates the whole relationship matter," he added bemused.

Janet got up and moved onto the couch next to him. She threw her arm around his shoulder and hugged him. "Oh, Mulder you big goofus!" she laughed, "I couldn't be more happy for you. Thank God!" she put her head on his shoulder, "So did you actually get around to asking her to marry you or are you just shacking up with her?" she asked matter-of-factly.

Mulder laughed at her directness. "Well, we've sort of been cohabiting, but yeah, I asked her to marry me just before I came out here. She, she's got some issues regarding the decision. She's considering the proposal while I'm in Milwaukee," he answered sucking on his lower lip.

"Oh you poor man, no wonder you were so tense," Janet patted him on the back. "Well, I'm sure she's not going to leave you hanging, she didn't seem like that type of person."

"You're right about that, Janet. She's honest and besides that, she's well, we trust each other with our lives, Janet. She said she wouldn't let me twist in the wind for long. I know she'll have an answer for me when I get back," he sighed looking into his friends face.

Janet smiled and got up. "Mulder, I know she'll say yes, I just have a feeling. We don't call this place *The Whisper Group* for nothing you know. Janet's intuitions were no joke. She had a strong psychic mojo going on occasion, and Mulder knew it. "And, Mulder, don't worry, I won't say anything to anyone."

"Well, Janet, I'll take that as a hopeful sign then. You can tell Jimmy if you'd like, but no-one else ok? I haven't even said anything to Frohike. I have to talk to him sometime soon too," Mulder yawned, "Sorry," he grinned slightly.

"Wow, you'd better get some sleep big guy. This place is going to be a zoo tomorrow," she giggled. Mulder rose as well then and he headed to get his coat and then walked upstairs. Janet went back into the kitchen area, drank a glass of milk, and then went up to bed herself.

Later, outside on a side street, Tony Rimmer sat in the Ford Taurus, head phones stuck to his ears. He had been able to hear Janet and Mulder's earlier important conversation without any interference. The antenna was working well and he could could use the black box on the top of the dash to tune into all the bugging devices he had planted in the house. The bug in Mulder's room was excruciatingly boring. He was sawing wood like there was no tomorrow. 'God, what a set of sinuses,' Rimmer thought rolling his ice blue eyes.

The bug in Janet and Jimmy's room was interesting, but distracting and ultimately annoying, as he picked up the sounds of their lovemaking. "Fuck this shit,' he thought ripping the head piece off with a snarl. 'I have to get some relief from this sexual tension or I'm going to go ballistic,' he thought. He had checked the phone book before leaving the Phister hotel earlier in the evening for the address of strip joints that might be nearby. There was only one in the downtown area - The Cheetah Club - and he had really gotten a laugh over the name. He started the car and pulled away from the curb, pointing the hood towards the downtown area. 'To hell with this subservient wolf crap,' the enforcer thought, 'I've been given carte blanche over here, for God's sake. What's London going to care if I get it on with one of the local chippies,' he mused. He ran his tongue over his lips, moistening them as thoughts of the exotic dancers undulated across his mind.

Monday morning dawned for Dana Scully in DC and she didn't face the day with a happy face. Her mother was coming in, of course, and she was becoming more and more nervous as the day dragged on. She had occupied her time by clearing out the entire apartment of any trace of Mulder's presence in anticipation of her mother's acceptance to come for a visit. She had stashed everything away, even his leather jacket, which she had hugged to her body, inhaling his cologne before she hung it in the back of her closet.

One last search of the rooms around 3 PM had shown her that not a trace of him remained and she shook her head in sadness and guilt at having erased Mulder in such an efficient manner. She sighed. 'God, please let this be over tonight,' she thought as she grabbed her coat, purse and car keys and left the apartment.

Margaret Scully was all ready in the arrival gate area when her daughter hurried up to meet her. Scully grabbed her mother in a hug and the older woman squeezed her tightly back and kissed her cheek.

"I'm sorry, Mom, traffic was horrible," she smiled at her in way of an apology.

"Oh, I know, some poor business man next to me on the plane was on the in flight phone complaining about that fact," she laughed, "He was making alibis all ready for being late to meet his client." Margaret commiserated.

"So, you must have checked luggage Mom," Scully stated noticing her mother's small bag.

"Yes, we'll have to go down to the baggage claim, I'm afraid. It's just the one bag though," she replied taking her smaller overnight bag and putting it over her shoulder.

"Oh, that's all right, maybe the wait will allow the traffic to improve a little," Scully answered, taking her Mother's arm in hers as they headed towards the baggage claim area.

Once they were in Scully's car and out on the Beltway, Scully made some small talk about her Mother's trip, Bill, his wife, and the baby. But she quickly brought the subject around to the issue that was paramount in her mind.

"Come stay with you for a few days?" Margaret asked her daughters profile as she stared at the road ahead. She could see that Dana was tense because her jaw muscles were tight. "Is anything wrong honey?" she asked, concern in her voice.

"Wrong, oh no, nothings wrong, Mom. I just thought you might like to come for a visit. I have off until Thursday," she replied, and then she smiled slightly, "maybe I'm a little jealous of Bill, Mom, he shouldn't be getting all your attention you know."

"Dana, you sound just like Charles," she replied affection in her voice. Charles was her other son, the world traveler, very seldom home, but envious just the same of the attention she gave his two siblings.

"So, what do you say, Mom?" Scully asked mentally crossing her fingers.

"Yes, sweetheart, I'll come for a visit. I think it might be nice. I've had quite enough of Bill for a while. The peace and quiet might do me good," she grinned.

Scully glanced at her and then she laughed. Her mother very seldom said anything snide about any of her children so she knew Bill must have been really gotten under her skin.

"I guess he was in a panic over the baby, wasn't he?" Scully asked.

Margaret sighed, "Yes, it was very stressful for him and his wife. I have to admit that's probably why he was such a bear. But, it was tiring."

"I can imagine," Scully replied.

"Well, let's try not to talk about all that now, honey. If you can just take me past the house, I'll get some fresh clothes and check my answering machine. I put a hold on my paper and mail until this Friday, so I don't have to worry about them," Margaret suggested.

"All right Mom, that sounds fine," Scully answered taking the exit that would go past her Mother's house.

Once Margaret Scully was at Dana's apartment the two women made coffee and sat around making small talk. Scully was still very jumpy and she noticed her Mother was still a bit strained from the San Diego trip as well. 'Maybe I should suggest dinner out, my treat,' she considered, 'then I can bring her back here when she's more relaxed and we can have our talk."

"Mom..." she began as her Mother was taking a sip of coffee.

"Yes, Hon," she answered over the cup.

"I don't know about you, but I don't feel like cooking tonight. How would you like to go over to Gabella's for dinner, my treat," she smiled at the older woman. Gabella's was a small Italian restaurant that was close to Mulder's apartment. Scully had gone there often with Mulder, and she had also taken her Mom there at Mulder's suggestion.

"Gabella's? Lord, that would be wonderful, Dana! Believe it not, I got so tired of fresh seafood out in San Diego. I would love some veal scaloppini," she enthused. "But don't you think they might be crowded?"

"Well, it's Monday night, they usually aren't too busy. Even if we have to wait, it shouldn't be too long. We can always sit in the bar and have a glass of wine," Scully replied.

"All right, let's go then, I am hungry," her mother smiled and the two women got up to leave the apartment.

Gabella's was a little crowded but the Maitre D' had promised only a short wait so Scully and her Mother went into the bar to have their glasses of wine.

They hadn't been sitting at the bar for very long when Margaret Scully craned her head to look past Dana's shoulder and over to the Maitre Ds' stand behind her daughter.

"Dana, honey, isn't that Assistant Director Skinner?" she asked moving to get a better look. Scully blanched, 'God I hope not,' she thought instantly as she turned around to look in the direction of her Mother's gaze. Sure enough, standing in the doorway was Walter Skinner, Assistant Director big as life. 'Oh shit,' Scully cursed inwardly, 'I hope he doesn't see us.' "Yeah, Mom, that looks like the A.D.," she answered her mother and then she turned back around to take a large sip of her wine.

"Dana, he's going over to the other side of the bar, I bet they don't have a table for him either. Why don't you ask him to join us?" her mother asked politely.

'Oh Christ,' Scully thought with chagrin, 'I was afraid this would happen. Lord! Just what I need - a charming night out with my Mother and my Boss,' she sighed.

"Oh, Mom, maybe he wants to be alone, we shouldn't intrude," she insisted trying to salvage the moment.

"Oh, Dana, don't be silly, the poor man is alone, no one likes to eat alone," she disagreed, "I'll just go over and ask him to join us."

"Mom, he's divorced, he's used to it, Mother..." Scully was hissing after her mother but Margaret had moved off into the noisy bar crowd and was quickly beyond earshot.

Scully sighed and resigned herself to the fact that one of the people that made her more nervous than anyone else in the world was more than likely joining them for dinner. Even the events in Crossroads hadn't helped her feelings for the A.D. In fact, that situation had served to make her even more upset at times in his presence. She respected him and liked him, but he just made her think of her father too much and that bothered her to no end. He was her Boss and she stuck to thinking of him formerly and professionally, and that's how she got through most situations involving him.

Scully watched as her mother walked around the bar and reached Skinner on the other side. Skinner was surprised to see her and he pushed his glasses back up his nose and straightened up as she started to talk to him. Her mother was smiling as Skinner shook his head no and then he was smiling and shrugging and glancing in her direction. Scully caught his eyes, and smiled weakly, waving her hand limply in his direction. Skinner was soon picking up his glass and following her mother back around the bar.

"Scully, how are you?" he said in way of greeting as he sat his drink down next to her wine glass.

"I'm fine, Sir, how are you this evening?" she asked looking over at her Mother as she approached.

"I'm fine. Scully, you're Mother has asked me to join the two of you for dinner. Is that all right with you? I mean, I don't want to intrude," he asked formerly, studying her face.

'Well, he gets points for asking at least,' she thought staring back at him. 'Oh hell, maybe the guy was lonely, she thought, 'what the heck, I might as well make the best of things.' She fixed Skinner with her best professional smile and replied, "No sir, that would be just fine," and as her mother joined them the maitre d' called out that their table was ready.

While Scully was hiding Mulder's belongings in her apartment that morning, Mulder was getting up sleepily at 6 AM and trudging down the hallway towards the communal shower, his change of clothes in one hand and his shaving kit in the other. He hadn't heard Frohike at all in his room so he expected the guy was sleeping off a hell of a hangover. Mulder showered and dressed, and headed downstairs to rustle up some coffee and breakfast. He could hear noises coming from the kitchen and as he turned to walk into the hallway that lead towards the sounds, the front door swung open. In walked Melvin Frohike. Mulder's jaw dropped open. Frohike looked rested and happy and Mulder could pretty much figure out the happy part without much of a stretch.

"Hey, G-man, any coffee to be had around here?" he grinned walking over to hang his coat on the coat tree. Mulder saw that his hair was still slightly damp and he was cleanly shaved for a change. Mulder continued to stare.

"Mulder, coffee?" Frohike prompted, grinning more widely.

"Oh, yeah, come on, I was headed in search of caffeine myself," Mulder answered finally moving towards the kitchen again. He was shaking his head. It was obvious the Lone Gunman had spent the night with Sian Phillips and from the way he was strutting, Mulder was fairly sure it hadn't been on her couch. 'Will wonders never cease?' he thought, and then, 'God, this is almost an X-File in itself,' he mused trying to hold back his mirth.

The two men walked into the kitchen to see Jim Rafferty and Janet Price performing a graceful ballet between the twin refrigerators and the stove. Coffee was on, and both Mulder and Frohike made a bee line for the mugs on the kitchen table. "Grab a plate, you two, eggs are almost ready," Jim grinned. "And then get out, we have to start getting the stuff ready for the open house," Janet laughed.

"All right, we'll go eat in the dining room then, Martha Stewart," Frohike teased.

"Are you sure we can't help?" Mulder asked.

"You two help? I don't think so," Janet teased as well.

"Ok, I get the message," Mulder smiled and both he and Frohike made a hasty exit for the dining room table.

They both put their full plates down across from each other and started to eat. Mulder kept looking at Frohike as he pounded down his chow. He didn't know what to say to the photographer. He was happy for him but a little embarrassed as well. The mismatch between the gnome-like Frohike and the devastating Sian Phillips was almost beyond even his mind to comprehend.

Frohike looked up at him over his coffee cup and then he burst out laughing, "Christ, Mulder, don't look so flustered," he laughed, "I know what you're thinking, and you're right dude. I'm not embarrassed, why should you be," he chortled.

Mulder grinned sheepishly then and took another bite of his scrambled eggs. "Well, I guess all I can say is congratulations, Frohike," he chuckled.

"Yeah, thanks man. And Mulder, you were right, she really is a nice person," Frohike replied quietly.

Mulder smiled back at him and then he thought instantly that perhaps now might be the time to tell Frohike about Scully. After all the guy had another woman to definitely occupy him for now and they were alone at the table which would probably not be the case before very much longer. Mulder decided to go ahead and he cleared his throat. "Uh, Frohike, as long as we're talking about man/women relations here, I, I have something I'd like to talk to you about," he began.

"Oh, yeah, hey, I'm sorry man, I didn't mean to step in ahead of you with Sian, I know it seemed like Janet was trying to get the two of you together, but..."

"No, no Frohike, that's not a problem, that's not what I had in mind," Mulder hastened to interrupt him.

"What then?" Frohike asked putting his coffee mug down next to his plate.

"Well, Frohike, I haven't said anything about this before because, well, mostly because I just didn't have the right opportunity. But, I thought now might be a good time to let you know that, that Scully and I are seeing each other," he replied quietly.

"Seeing each other?" he asked, "You mean like..."

"Yeah, we're having a relationship, Frohike. We've been together since we were on that case up in Crossroads, Maine. Frohike, I've, I've asked her to marry me," he stumbled over the words, and then he took a long sip of his coffee.

"Son of a bitch," Frohike hissed. Then he broke into a broad smile. "God, damn it Mulder, that's great! Holy cow, I'm, Christ, Congratulations!" he exclaimed. He was bubbling all over and Mulder grinned broadly back at him "Holy shit, wait till Byers and Langly hear about this too," he chortled.

"Oh, listen, Frohike. Don't tell them yet ok, Scully and I still have some stuff to work out. She hasn't said yes, yet, and besides there's the job issue to think about."

"Ah, fuck that stuff, Mulder, she's nuts about you, she'll say yes. And you can always tell the Bureau to go screw and come work for us," he joked.

"Seriously, Frohike, don't say anything to anyone for a while, out of respect for Scully at least, ok?" Mulder asked.

"For Scully? No problem, Mulder. All right, Mums the word, my man. But, did you tell Janet and Jimmy?" Frohike asked.

"Yeah, I told Janet and told her she could tell Jim as well. But I want to keep the *in the know circle* fairly small for now, all right. Just a few close friends," he added smiling at the other man.

At Mulder's inclusion of Frohike under the few close friends heading, the photographer had puffed up even more if that was possible.

"Hey, my lips are sealed, Mr. FBI," Frohike replied.

"Ok, great, thanks," Mulder breathed a sigh of relief.

"Are you going to stick around here for this open house?" Frohike asked, changing the subject.

"Yeah, I thought I'd check it out for a while. But then I want to go downtown for a while. I have something I think I need to buy," Mulder replied.

"Oh yeah, like what?" Frohike asked.

"A ring," Mulder smiled back at the Lone Gunman.

In an apartment just off Kilbourn Avenue and quite close to the Milwaukee FBI field office, Tony Rimmer grunted between the legs of the stripper he had picked up the night before. She was a tall, large breasted blond, very similar in appearance to Sian Phillips and Tony had found her performance at the Cheetah club quite marvelous to behold. Now he thrust into her as she raised her knees higher to meet his pumping hips. "God, baby, harder, come on, Oh, God, you're so good," she was moaning, and Tony had no doubt it was the truth. He had burrowed quite deeply into her mind as well as her body, and now he stoked her passion, making her cunt nice and tight, just the way he liked it. This wasn't his favorite position for banging a broad, but it would do for now. He intended to take a more dominate position later for his ultimate sexual pleasure. For now he just wanted this woman to worship his hugely erect cock and crawl back eagerly for more when he showed up at the club this evening.

"You fucking bitch," he growled at her as she writhed under him, "This is the best you're ever going to get, you whore," and then he allowed her to orgasm, clenching her muscles around his cock like a vice. He howled as he came and the dazed women screamed for more as Rimmer laughed into her face.

Sian Phillips showed up at *The Whisper House* at about 10 AM, overnight bag in hand. She was scheduled to help Janet set up the refreshments for the open house which was due to begin at noon. Janet had prepared most of the food ahead of time on her own in order to save money. Jimmy had gotten most of the supplies using his Sam's Club wholesale card. The provisions were mostly snack type items that people could munch on easily while touring the house and there was plenty of soda and beer in case everyone was incredibly thirsty. Mulder had been in the library engrossed in one of the occult volumes when he had heard the front door bell. He hastened to open the door into the January cold.

"Come on in Sian," he said smiling at the librarian.

"Good morning, Fox," she replied walking past him. "Is Janet in the kitchen?"

"Yes, she's really bustling around in there. She wouldn't let Frohike or I help. I don't think she trusted us," he chuckled taking her coat from her and hanging it on the coat tree.

"Well, I'll go and give her a hand," she replied looking around.

"Oh, ah, Frohike's downstairs with Jimmy. They're getting the basement ready for the open house," Mulder grinned a bit. Despite Frohike's admonishment to not be flustered about the photographer's liaison with Sian he couldn't help but turn a bit red now that she was standing before him.

"Oh, well that's good. I'm sure I'll see him later," she looked into his eyes enigmatically. Mulder gulped as the room strobed in and out suddenly and then Sian was walking back towards the kitchen. Mulder shook his head to clear it and went back into the library to read.

Sian smiled to herself as she walked towards the kitchen. The look on Mulder's face had been priceless she thought. But even so, he didn't even know half of her pleasure from the night before, and she giggled slightly. She had gone to several bars with Frohike last night, and had really enjoyed herself in every one of them. She had danced with him which had been rather amusing considering their height. They had certainly drawn stares. But holding him close had been extremely pleasant. They had ended up in a quiet little bar near her apartment next to the downtown campus of Marquette University.

It was here that Sian touched Frohike's hand again and let her mind join with his deeply for the first time. The man really was an open book, and Sian quickly saw his diamond in the rough quality. He had a genius IQ, was intensely loyal to his friends, driven to find the truth and uncover all manner of twisted government conspiracies, some imagined but many very real. He was also intensely lonely. She saw his failed romances, the one or two brief successful liaisons he had formed with women, and the one romance that had broken his heart, the one he had never really gotten over to this day.

All these thoughts came to Sian in a rush and her breath was taken away for the first time, in a long time, with the overwhelming sensations. In her wolf like way Sian felt the need to protect this man. She also found herself attracted to him which surprised her because she knew most human females would consider him physically repulsive. But she found him extremely arousing and she decided on the spot that she would take him home, and take him to bed as well. One of her perks as a favored member of her clan was the permission to take a human lover when she so desired it. "And I so desire it, tonight,' she smiled. So, she had taken Frohike home and they had made love, and it had been unhurried, very tender, and sweet. In the morning he had insisted that she sleep in, and he gallantly took a bus back to Shepard Avenue.

Sian looked forward to seeing him again that morning at *The Whisper House* but she could bide her time. Anticipation was part of her pleasure after all.

The open house was in full swing by 1 PM and Mulder and Frohike were at the center of it. Mulder especially was the object of much attention due to the X-Files. The attention was flattering but by 3 PM it was getting tiring as well so he decided to try to make an exit to go downtown. There was a brief lull in the stream of visitors so Mulder went in search of Frohike in order to tell him he was leaving. He found him in the little room filled with plants off the dining room. Frohike was in there sitting with Sian on the wrought iron bench that sat against the wall. He was holding her hands in his, and Mulder cleared his throat.

"Oh, hi, Mulder," Frohike looked over at him nonplused.

"Frohike, I'm going to cut out for a while. I need to run that errand we talked about," Mulder said.

"Ok, But try to be back by 7 PM, Janet says she's ordering in pizza for all of us - sort of a post open house feast," Frohike advised.

"Fine, I can manage that, see you two later," Mulder replied.

"Stay warm, Fox," Sian said smiling into his retreating back.

Hours later, DC time, Dana Scully was sitting at a table in Gabella's Italian restaurant staring at her Mother and her Boss, A.D. Walter Skinner as they carried on an animated conversation on Italian cooking. She stifled a yawn and glanced at her watch. "Holy Mother Mary, it's 10 PM,' she thought with dismay. But she looked in her Mother's eyes and she could see that she was really enjoying herself. 'But what is wrong with this picture?' she thought as she watched Skinner advising her Mother on what went into a really good marina sauce. It dawned on her with a jolt then what was wrong. The expression on her Mother's face was the same sort of rapt attention that Margaret Scully had reserved for Dana's late father and the idea was suddenly terribly troubling to Scully under the circumstances. 'Oh God,' she thought, 'this is too much.'

"Mom?" she interrupted, "It's 10 PM," she stated pointedly.

"Oh good heaven's Dana, is it that late? Oh, I'm so sorry. Mr. Skinner, we've kept you out too long," she laughed.

"Please, call me Walter," he told her smiling slightly, "and it's no problem, you've been very gracious," he added.

"Well, as long as you call me Margaret," she smiled back.

'Oh, crap,' Scully thought as Skinner beckoned for the waiter. He was taking out a credit card and he intercepted the check before Scully could grab it.

"Oh, Sir, I can't let you pay for the meal," Scully blustered as Skinner glanced up from signing the credit card receipt.

"Nonsense, Scully, it's my pleasure," he rumbled looking over at Margaret Scully again.

"All right, Sir, well, thank you," she sighed. Skinner finished with the credit card business, and then they all headed towards the restaurants cloak room. Skinner got all three of their coats and then he helped first Scully on with hers, and then held her Mother's coat open for her. Scully bristled because it seemed as if Skinner held onto her Mother's shoulders just a bit longer then necessary when he wrapped the coat around them. 'No, it must be my heated imagination,' she thought because Skinner was quickly holding the door open for them to exit the restaurant.

"Can I walk you to your car?" he asked.

"No sir, we lucked out, it's right here,' Scully gestured towards her car parked at the curb.

"Oh, all right," Skinner replied nodding his head, "Well, I'll say goodnight then, ladies. It was nice seeing you again, Margaret. And certainly under much more pleasant circumstances," he added in his usual clipped way.

Scully rolled her eyes.

"Yes, it was a wonderful evening, Walter, and it was nice seeing you again as well," Margaret Scully replied.

Skinner turned and headed towards his car then, tossing back a final "Goodnight," over his shoulder.

"What a charming man," Margaret Scully sighed as Scully unlocked the car.

"Well, I guess he does have his moments," she agreed still worried over her Mother's obvious interest in the A.D.

Her Mother got in the car and they drove back to Scully's apartment. As Scully unlocked the door she thought, 'Well, it's now or never,' and she walked into the apartment, her Mother trailing behind her.

Both women hung up their coats in the closet.

"Mom, would you like an after dinner drink, or some coffee?" Scully asked procrastinating still.

"Actually honey, do you have some herbal tea?" Margaret replied.

"Celestial Seasonings," Scully answered.

"That would be fine," her mother smiled.

Scully went to make the tea, leaving Margaret Scully to sit down comfortably on the couch in front of the TV and VCR.

When Scully came back in, tea cups and saucers balanced carefully in both hands she stopped dead. Her mother was looking at two video tapes that had been on top of the TV. One was *Room with a View*, the other was *Them*. Scully's eyes went wide as her mother read the back of the box for the 50s SF classic. 'Oh Lord,' she thought, 'As Mulder would say - I'm busted. Why the hell didn't I take those back and to top it all off I'll have to pay an overdo charge.'

"Oh, that tea looks good, honey," Margaret was saying as Scully approached the couch and placed the cups on the coffee table. She placed the video tapes back on top of the TV, and sat back down on the couch. Scully sat down next to her and pushed a tea cup closer to her hands.

"So, did you rent these for us to watch while I was here?" she asked indicating the tapes. "I've haven't seen *Room with a View*, but this other one, God, that brings back memories. I saw that film with your father, honey, years ago," she smiled in remembrance.

Scully sighed. 'Well there's no need to put off our little talk any longer,' she thought and then she began to explain.

"Well, no Mom, I didn't exactly rent them for us. But, now that you mention them, Mom, they do involve something I need to talk to you about," she said. "Those are Mulder's tapes."

Margaret Scully took one look at her Daughter's face and knew something was wrong. She settled into the couch, flipping her shoes off and tucking her legs up under her. Scully did the same and Mother and Daughter looked like bookends at either end of the furniture.

"Dana, what's wrong, dear? I thought you said earlier that nothing was wrong," Margaret said with worry.

"Mom, please really, nothings wrong. In fact, well, it may be very right depending how you look at things," Scully added opaquely.

"Dana, can you get to the point, sweetheart, it's late and I'm not as sharp as I used to be," her Mother teased her lightly reaching over and touching her knee.

"I don't know how to start," Scully sighed with love in her eyes.

"Why don't you just start at the beginning, honey, that's usually the best place. I'll just let you talk. I won't interrupt."

"Well, Mom, I need to talk to you about Mulder Mom, about Fox," she fumbled with his Christian name. "You know, I've been partnered with Mulder now for, Lord, it's been almost five years," she continued, 'We, we've been through a lot together Mom, an awful lot. He's been so tortured over his sister, so driven Mom, to find her, so obsessed and self centered for the five years I've known him. But despite all that, he's been there for me through everything, Mom. Dad's death, my abduction, Missy's death, the cancer, Emily. He's supported me and trusted me and, God, Mom I don't know what I would ever do without him," she had stretched her arm across the back of the couch and her mother extended her arm and touched her hand with hers. "He's saved my life I can't count how many times. Mom, he sent the cancer into remission for heaven's sake. I just know I need him, and I want him with me now more than anything in the world."

Her mother tightened her grip on Scully's hand and Dana let the rest come out in a rush.

"Mom, what I'm trying to tell you is, I love him. I've loved him for five years, almost from the beginning when I walked into that crummy basement office in the J. Edgar Hoover building," she stopped for a moment to catch her breath.

"Dana, honey, does Fox know how you feel?" her Mother asked quietly and kindly.

"Does he know Mom? Yeah, you could say he knows," she laughed bitterly then because she was about to admit to her Mother what had been going on for months, and she was scared to hear her response.

"Mom, I've been sleeping with him," she said looking down into her lap. She waited for something then, the sign of disapproval, the sharp intake of breath, or the removal of her Mother's hand from her arm.

But instead her Mother gave her arm a gentle squeeze and then she said firmly, "Dana, look at me honey," and Scully looked up into her Mother's face. Margaret Scully was smiling slightly and Scully searched her face in amazement.

"What's wrong, Dana, did you think I was going to go all Catholic on you?" she asked and Scully's mouth dropped open.

Margaret Scully laughed then, "Honey, I have to tell you a little secret too. I never told any of you kids this dear, but I wasn't exactly a virgin on my wedding night either. Your father and I spent one idyllic weekend up on the Cape just before the wedding and well, one thing lead to another, and your sister Melissa was probably the result," she stroked her daughters hand.

"Mom....!?" Scully replied staring back at her.

"Well, I never mentioned it because it wasn't important, at least until now," she smiled, "and we were too young and dumb to know what we were doing in terms of protection. Things were a lot more naive in those days. But look, honey, do you really love each other, I mean, are you sure?" She asked her daughter.

"Oh, yeah, Mom, we're sure," Scully replied and then she started to tear up.

"Oh, baby, come here," her Mother comforted, opening her arms so that Scully could come into her embrace. Scully scooted over and rested her head against her Mother's breast as Margaret closed her arms around her and rubbed her back. "Dana, honey, if you love each other everything else will take care of itself, believe me," she kissed her hair.

Scully started to cry a bit harder but she struggled to gain control because she wanted to tell her mother the rest of the story now.

"Mom, Mulder asked me to marry him just before he left for Milwaukee."

"Oh, Dana, that's wonderful," her Mother replied releasing her. Scully sat up and looked into her Mother's face, "You know Dana, I have to tell you that I've always liked Fox, and I've always felt he really cared for you. I wondered if he might love you honey, oh, I'm so happy to hear this I never dreamed, Oh baby, I love you," she kissed her hand.

"Well, I'm really glad to hear that, Mom. But it's not your approval I'm worried about you any longer I guess - it's Bill's," she admitted at last.

"Bill? Oh I see," Margaret answered her lips tight for the first time that evening.

"Mom, I haven't given Mulder an answer yet because I wanted to talk to you and well, I need you to talk to Bill. I can't face his anger and disapproval with Mulder. I'm afraid of what I might say or do now," Scully stated with determination.

Margaret Scully sighed, "Dana, your brother has tunnel vision where Fox is concerned, I'm afraid. After the cancer and Emily he just won't."

"Mom, if Bill doesn't approve of Mulder, if I have to make a choice between Mulder and Bill, well, then I'm afraid to say that I'll no longer have an elder brother," she finished, anger in her voice.

Her Mother was silent for a moment but then she replied, "Look, Dana, I know Bill has been a royal pain in the ass on this issue."

"That's an understatement" Scully answered.

"Well, be that as it may. All right, I'll talk to him, Dana. I think he needs to have his cage rattled a bit too I guess. I've put if off for too long, I'll see what I can do," she finished touching her Daughter's cheek.

Scully let out a profound sigh of relief. 'God this is such a weight off my shoulders,' she thought.

"So, honey, are you going to tell him yes?" her Mother was asking.

"Well, Mom, I'm leaning that way. But you know, we have to factor a few other things in here, like our careers and The X-Files and Mulder's sister and..."

Her Mother laughed, "Well, Hon, don't let the poor man wait for long, all right. And honey, if you talk it all out I'm sure you can settle all those other issues. You were friends before you were ever lovers, let that friendship make your bond even stronger. If you trust each other enough, like I said, the rest will fall into place."

"Don't worry, I told him I'd let him know my answer when he got back. And, I'll consider your advice, Mom, I really will," Scully replied with a smile. Now she would have some news to tell Mulder, she thought, and with her Mother's approval that only left Bill to sway. She had hope and a sudden peace calmed her heart.

"Good," her mother nodded decisively. "But, honey, I think we'd both better get to bed, I thought you might like to go shopping tomorrow, we could get an early start and then have lunch out if you'd like."

"Fantastic, Mom, I saw an outfit I thought would look great on you the other day, it was on sale too."

"Ah, ha, I knew you'd inherited my shopping smarts all along," Margaret Scully laughed and both women got up to prepare to go to bed.

Back in Milwaukee earlier in the afternoon, Fox Mulder was traipsing from jewelry store after jewelry store on Wisconsin Avenue. He just could not find the right ring for Scully and it was pissing him off. Clerk after clerk looked at him like he was crazy as he asked them to show him case after case of engagement rings. Nothing looked right. 'Damn it,' he thought, 'I guess this is going to have to wait till I get back to DC.'

But just as he was about to give up, he walked down a little side street, Milwaukee Street, and saw a tiny shop nestled between two older office buildings. The sign above the shop said *Pandora's Box - Jewelry, Clothes, Statuary & Gothic Collectibles*. It drew Mulder like a magnet.

The bell above the door tinkled as he walked in. A slender blond women with a pierced nose was sitting behind a counter sorting earrings into separate piles. She looked up at Mulder, "May I help you?" She smiled pleasantly.

"God, I hope so," he sighed. "I'm trying to find an engagement ring for my fiancee and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for."

"Do you know the size?"

Mulder had been sure of the size having taken a look at some of Scully's rings in her jewelry box back in her apartment. He told the woman and she pursed her lips.

"So she's petite?" she asked.

"Yes," Mulder answered.

The women peered closely at Mulder, a somewhat dreamy expression in her watery blue eyes, "What color is her hair?"

"She's a red head."

"Ah, Irish then?" the women asked.

Mulder smiled, 'Gee, that was a lucky guess,' he thought snidely.

But then he stopped that thought because the woman said, "With a name like Scully that should be obvious, I guess," and then she laughed a very tinkling musical laugh.

Mulder stood with his mouth gaping open.

"Juan, can you come out here a minute?" she turned and called back through the curtained door behind the counter.

"Yeah, what is it Kim?" the short muscular Hispanic man asked as he came through the curtain.

"Can you bring me the Claddaugh you're working on, the gold one, not the silver?" she asked.

"Sure, I'll be right back. He returned directly and placed a small square of black velvet down on the counter. He then placed a ring down in the velvet's center and Mulder stepped forward to see it. One look and he knew he had found the ring for Scully. The ring was a primitive Claddaugh, with the hands and heart and crown design appearing raised on a plain gold band. The heart and crown were inlaid with a tiny diamond. It was beautiful and very unusual. Mulder raised his head and looked at Juan.

"You made this?" he asked impressed.

"Yeah, man," Juan smiled back.

"This is the first Claddaugh my husband has made in gold, he usually works in silver. So, this piece is one of a kind. Juan usually breaks the molds on a unique piece like this one. So, it really will be a limited edition. And you'll notice, it's just your fiancee's size," Kim grinned.

Mulder whistled. Juan chuckled.

"Did she guess your fiancee's name?" he asked Mulder.

"Yeah, she did."

Juan laughed again. "Kim, you're going to have to stop showing that *Shining* off to the customers, babe, you're going to start driving them away."

Kim smiled wide at her husband, "So, would you like to purchase the ring?" Kim asked Mulder.

"You bettcha, Kim," he answered with a bemused grin.

Now, Mulder walked back up Wisconsin Avenue, his coat pulled around his ears, and the box with the ring in his pocket. He ran ahead quickly as he approached the 30 bus stop, the city bus that would take him back up to Shepard Avenue and the dinner of pizza that awaited him there.

His cell phone rang on Tony Rimmer in his hotel room, as he was taking a piss. 'Damn it he thought," as he hastened to stop and zip up his pants. He left the bathroom quickly and picked up the phone.

"Mr. Rimmer?" the familiar voice coughed over the connection.

"Who else would it be?" Rimmer answered sarcastically.

"Now, now, temper, temper," the voice warned, "Do you have anything to report?"

"Yeah. I bugged the house quite thoroughly. Nothing much is going on right now. They're having some sort of open house today. I spent a little time up there checking things out, but it was pretty uneventful." Rimmer neglected to mention the appearance of Sian Phillips. It was none of the government creeps business what went on amongst the clans. That was a shapeshifter's affair and not meant for human kind.

"Very well, what are your further plans?" the cigarette husky voice asked the red headed wolfman.

"Well I intend to really get things moving tonight, Sirrr," he drew out the Sir so that it was just a touch insulting. Rimmer felt more confident dealing with this human from a distance. He was beginning to think he might even feel confident close up as well. He could almost feel the black lunged fuck's neck in his jaws as he listened to his wheezing voice over the cell phone.

"Good, Mr. Rimmer, I hope you aren't losing sight of our little mission. I expect you to report in a little more often than you have been, Tony," he hissed.

"Fine, I'll do that," Rimmer whispered.

"See that you do," and the cigarette smoking man broke the connection.

Rimmer threw the cell phone down on the bed with a violent slap. 'That turd is really going to pay when I get back to DC,' he growled, and then he went back into the bathroom to finish emptying his bladder.

Frohike pushed his plate back from the table. "God, I can't eat another slice of this stuff," he grinned patting his stomach, "Where did you say it came from?" he asked grabbing one of the pizza boxes to look at the cover.

"Pizza Man," Jimmy Rafferty answered munching on his last piece.

"Great crust," Frohike added and Sian laughed as he said it.

All five were seated around the dining room table, empty pizza boxes and bottles of beer between them. It was late, almost 10 PM again but they had gotten a later start at dinner then planned after cleaning up after the open house. At least Mulder had returned early enough to help out on the clean up and for once Janet had been more than willing to let he and Frohike lend a hand.

"So, are you two going to go downstairs and take a look at those new lenses of Frohike's?" Janet asked Jim Rafferty and Sian Phillips.

"Yeah, I'd be happy to give you all a demo," Frohike enthused glancing shyly at Sian.

"I guess we could take an hour to look," Jim replied. But then I'm going to have to crash, I'm beat and the conference starts at 11 AM tomorrow."

"All right," Janet answered. "Well, I'll clear up and then, Jim, honey, I think I'm going to bed, I'm exhausted."

"Gee, sweetheart, I can't imagine why," Jim grinned hugging her from his chair next to her.

"Janet, why don't I give you a hand," Mulder offered.

"God, that would be great, Mulder, thanks," she said with real gratitude.

Rafferty, Frohike and Sian Phillips got up and headed for the basement stairwell. Mulder moved to gather up the first of the plates and carry them into the kitchen.

"So where were you all afternoon?" Janet asked curious.

"Oh, I went downtown. I wanted to look at rings for Scully," Mulder answered quietly.

"Oh, that's nice, Mulder. Did you find one?"

"Yeah, I did. I'll show it to you later, it's upstairs."

"I'd like that, Mulder," she replied smiling at him. They carried the plates on into the kitchen. Several trips later they were done and Janet was yawning widely.

"Go on up to bed, Mighty Mouse, I'm going to read a little in the library," Mulder told her. He was still awake enough from the days excitement to feel sleep still a bit reluctant to come so he thought some reading in the volume he started earlier might help him to relax.

"Well, if you can't get to sleep, have some warm milk - it works for me," she patted him on the arm.

"Thanks, Mom," he teased her as she headed off up the stairs. Mulder went into the library and presently he heard Rafferty, Frohike and Sian coming back upstairs from the basement.

 

He heard Rafferty saying, "Naw, like I said, she won't mind, I'm sure. She was expecting, Sian, don't worry. See you guys in the morning," and then his heavy footsteps as he went up the stairs.

Mulder could just make out Frohike and Sian in the hallway, "After you," Frohike was saying and then he heard another noise and he realized that they were kissing. He smiled as their footsteps soon receded up the stairwell. Mulder settled back into the comfortable recliner, thick book in hand. He took his glasses out of his jacket pocket, cracked the book to the spot where he had left off and proceeded to read. Soon however his lids grew heavy and before he realized it, his head was falling onto his chest and he was asleep.

TO BE CONTINUED IN PART 2