This will go unposted to any of the lists because it was a Chatterer's exclusive challenge piece. It may be archived elsewhere with my permission. Please ask at: frogdoggie@hotmail.com

Did I? Yes, I did - the shorter version by frogdoggie

Did I really tell him I had neither the authority nor the will to allow him to fight for me? Did I? Yes...I did. He and his partner were practically begging me to "release the hounds" but I just couldn't let this dog hunt that game. No, not this go around, and not this particular hound. The hunt was too dangerous, there were too many deadfalls. I couldn't risk it. Not without risking it all. Not without risking him.

But...I could see the confusion in his eyes. The hurt. He had no idea why. I hurt him, and he had no real clue why I did.

God damn it, Mulder. I wish...I just wish once I could give you a clue as to what's going on in my head. I know you think I'm betraying you. Shutting you out. Closing myself off. Fucking over the X-Files - your quest for the truth. Well...maybe I am. But believe me, Mulder, I have my reasons. I have my own truths and...I can't reveal them to you. I can hardly reveal them to myself. It's so hard to reveal your soul, you see. It's perhaps the greatest risk. But sometimes you wish...

...and your wish is answered.

Did he come back to my office to argue his point? Did I roar at him like a wounded bull? Did he shout me down? Did we invade each other's space? Did we stand toe to toe, almost dancing, certainly vibrating, with so many emotions warring in our eyes ? Did I curse him? Did he stare...quiet, defiant, proud, willful...

Did I take his face in my hands, and kiss him deeply on the lips? Did he return the kiss? Yes, I did...and so did he.

-THE END-