Spiffy LogoInde

Cool Downloads | Cool sites

A Plethora of Useful Pages

Since my icon for links is golf related, how about starting off with a link to Oregon's golf courses?

High Tech

Are you looking for a cell/PCS phone? Confused about the technology and which phones are the best? Start with Qualcomm and learn all about Code Division Multiple Access, the technology for transferring digital signals that is becoming the new worldwide standard.

Are you using Eudora (Light or Pro) for your email? If not, Eudora Light is free, and Eudora Pro is worth the small fee! On a side note, Eudora users were not impacted by the recent Melissa virus outbreak other than getting lots of mail from Outlook users. :)

If you are having trouble keeping up with the latest computer stuff, you aren't alone. PC Magazine Online is a good source for the latest and greatest. ZDNet is also an excellent source for computer-related information. I subscribe to their daily news services to try and keep up with all the industry changes.

Looking for some new software? Two good sources for shareware and freeware are ZDNet and the Oakland Software Repository. ZD Net has an excellent search engine, program ratings, and good program descriptions and specifies on which platforms it works. You have to "sign up" on ZD Net to get to the downloads section, but they don't ask for any personal information, and I've never gotten any spam from them, so don't be shy.

Tangible Pleasures

Do you love books? (I'm sorry, but reading online will never replace books, IMHO.) Here are some great places to find books, starting with Powell's where you can find an excellent selection of new, used, and hard-to-find out-of-print books. Powell's has a City of Books store that covers an entire city block in downtown Portland, Oregon! And you can search that entire store (and all of their other stores including the one that specializes in technical books) using the link below:


  • Amazon.com has books, music, video, and now sponsors auctions
  • Have you ever tried audio books? Audio Adventures has a great selection and offers excellent service

Music is one of my passions; just like books, I cannot imagine life without music. I use it to control my moods, whether I need some energy to clean house (yech!) or I need to mellow out so I can go to sleep. I have gotten most of my recent purchases at Music Boulevard (now CDNow soon to be part of greater Columbia House - only CDNow remains retail only) because they have a great selection and there are always sound clips that I can listen to before I buy. This "listen before you buy" is sometimes a Good Thing when I like one song a lot but the rest of the album, well, sucks). :)


CDnow

   

Here are another couple of good sites:

Home | Cool Downloads | Cool sites

This document maintained by web@xphile.nu.
Material Copyright © 1997-1999 Beverly White