The Glitter Jungle:
Fiction:
 
 

Father & Son Trilogy
Fathers, sons, mother. Luthors, Kents
 
 
 

-=-=-=-

Title: Father & Son: Luthors [1]

-=-=-=-

Is that what you want to hear? That I'm evil, that I'm a bad father, that I hate you? Lex, you're my son. What I do, I do to help you. To give you what you don't know you need just yet.

Is that what you want to hear? That I'm playing you for my own twisted pleasure? That I took the company away from you just to see the hurt look on your face? Lex, that look tore my heart. It was like a knife to the gut. But if I don't do it to you now, someone else will do it to you in the future, and they won't give the company back later. They'll tear you apart and never give you a second chance.

Everyone around me think I'm Satan in human form. Not only in Smallville, but all over the world, son. I let them think that because it serves my purpose. I never thought you'd be one of them.

Can't you see what I'm doing? You're a bright man, a genius even, I'm told. Can't you tell? The weak won't survive, Lex, and what I'm putting you through will make you more powerful than any other. You'll thank me some day.

Or you won't.

~#~

Why are you doing this? You say you love me, and with the next breath you tell me you'll bury me. You want me to be strong, and then do all you can to make me feel so small and worthless.

You give me all the money I want, but won't let me make any on my own. You send me out to the real world and then make sure everyone despises me. How much more control do you need?

You lecture about the importance of family, but you never acted like a father. Never cared, or cared far too much. Knew nothing about my life or knew far too many details. Gave me everything while giving me a big fat nothing, dad. Or didn't you know?

And I love you, dad. I want to make you proud. Is that what you want to hear? On those rare occasions when you are proud of me, I'm so tired of fighting for it, your declarations only make me sick. Sick of myself, mostly, for still wanting your approval.

For still trying to be your son.

-=-=-=-

Title: Father & Son: Kents [2]

-=-=-=-

I give you everything, son. Protect you from everything, for as long as I possibly can. I won't let anyone discover your secret, take you away from us and hurt you. You're my special boy.

I know you just want to be normal. And I'm doing my best to give you a normal life. But it can never be... your life will never be simple.

Your mother and I raised you to be honest, hard-working, truthful. Except for this one thing. This one secret which is everything you are. But it's for your own safety. And then you make friends with Lex Luthor. Let him into our lives. Can't you see how dangerous he is?

Your mother says Lex won't hurt you. That he cares. But she doesn't know the Luthors like I do. They're not to be trusted. Even when they think they care.

~#~

I just want to be like everyone else. I know my dad is trying his best to give me everything he thinks I need, but I'm not a normal kid and I need different things. I need to run faster than anyone because anything slower feels like I'm holding myself back.

And every time I lie to someone about who and what I am, I'm holding myself back. I'm hiding like my parents always told me was safe, but I'm lying like they always told me I shouldn't. Not telling my best friend the most basic thing about myself.

Will you accept me if I'm not the son you wanted?

I'm a good student and I save people. I'm a hero, but I never tell anyone and I'm always under cover, always shy, gone before they know who to thank. Will you love me if I take credit for saving all these people?

Will you love me if I don't save them?

But I can't do that, because I feel... destined.

Destiny. It's something I learned all about from Lex Luthor.

Will you still love me if my destiny is with Lex?

-=-=-=-

Title: Mother - Epilogue [3]

-=-=-=-

They're in agony. Circling each other like caged animals and not talking about what they really think or feel. So much pain, on both sides, and it will be so simple to solve if only...

My husband and my son.

My employer and his son.

Why don't they ever talk?

-=-=-=-
 
 
 


Email