Fiction:
 
Raspberry

Adam
Rated: G
 
 
 

"Kronos is four years old, Methos is five." Mary Sue hurried out, pulling her leather jacket over her dragon wings. "Just pay attention when they're playing together, and don't let them near anything sharp - but you could've guessed that, huh."

Duncan Macleod was a brave and chivalrous man. When a female was in need - and he assumed Mary Sue was female despite her rather non-humanoid appearance - he'd gallantly volunteer to help.

That's how he got stuck with the babysitting job.

It started out fine. The children were playing quietly among themselves and Duncan tried to avoid the uneasiness he felt at their resemblance to the ancient immortals he knew. They had blunt little plastic swords. They had sea monkeys which Kronos said made mortals sneeze.

They were watching television...

"Are you sure you're allowed to watch that?" Duncan had seen many wars and much suffering in his day, but the things that happened on the screen horrified him.

"Sure," Kronos chirped, and Methos piped up, "It's our favourite."

Kids these days. Duncan shook his head.

Later on he made them dinner, and patiently cut their chicken for them. He wasn't sure what Mary Sue's opinion was on drinking too much raspberry flavoured soda, or about eating with your fingers, but decided not to say anything; He did comment, however, when they started eating food from each other's plates. The glare Kronos sent his way reminded him strongly of the adult version.

"We share everything," Methos explained. The adoring look Kronos gave his brother was a bit disturbing, Duncan thought. But it was probably just a harmless kindergarten crush.

After dinner he helped them wash their faces and hands, surprised to find sword calluses on the tiny chubby baby hands. He tucked them into their beds - Methos' sheets were blue and Kronos' were red - and read them a story, about a beautiful fairy princess and the knight who kills her. That seemed to put their mind at ease and they fell asleep smiling beatifically. He stayed and watched them for a little while longer, a smile playing on his own lips, and then went to the living room, to read quietly until Mary Sue comes home and he can tell her that they behaved like two little angels. Of Death.
 


Email