Home
 

Balance of Powers


by DrBillBongo


Pairing: J/N
Rating: PG-13
Originally Posted: 4/19/06
Beta: meletor_et_al.
Notes: Written for Shrieking Ell and her request that I should write an essay of 100 words about what one can do in a ship's cabin. This is not an essay and I wrote more than 100 words. Also, it's not really about what one can do in a ship's cabin. Artistic license. *smug* The title, as you surely know, is taken from an old political theory—and abused for my own interests.
Summary: What can be done, what should be done and what could be justified from certain perspectives.



Considering the many things one can do in a ship's cabin, there are some things that should not be done, even though they are actually possible.

For example, it is possible for a commodore of His Britannic Majesty's Navy to invite a pirate to his cabin at night, when the mess is asleep and the men on watch are not looking. It is quite possible to indulge in a late dessert with him before the actual entertainment begins. It is also easily possible to take him against the wall, over his desk, on the floor, on a chair—even in his hammock, and hard and fast at that.

However, there is a fine line between what's possible and what's advisable. Fraternizing with pirates is clearly inadvisable, especially on a Naval vessel and to that point. Even more so when the pirate is Captain Jack Sparrow, who, despite his looks, is very evidently a man. It is prohibited by the law, a crime against nature and a sin in the eyes of the Church.

Why else do good men see God through their wives' and sweethearts' eyes when they find release together? Why else does Norrington see the devil, black-eyed and wicked?

That it should stop is clear.

That Norrington will not stop is a different matter.

Entrusting himself into the protective hands of God during the day and into the tempting hands of the devil during the night does not necessarily have to be a betrayal of faith, law or nature.

After all, great powers are best when balanced.



  Leave a Comment


Disclaimer: All characters from the Pirates of the Caribbean universe are the property of Disney et al, and the actors who portrayed them. Neither the authors and artists hosted on this website nor the maintainers profit from the content of this site.
All content is copyrighted by its creator.