Home
 

A Strange Lull


by MarinaRusalka


Pairing: J/N
Rating: NC-17 for scandalous fraternization between pirates and navy officers
Disclaimer: Disney owns all the characters from Pirates of the Caribbean. The MPAA owns the trademark on the NC-17 rating. They're making the big bucks and I'm not.
Originally Posted: 4/26/05
Beta: Huge thanks to ndancer and fabu for their excellent beta-reading.
Summary: One storm. Two ships. One island. You do the math.



Chapter 1

"Land ho!"

The cry from the crow's nest raised a ragged cheer from the men on deck. Jack Sparrow, drooping half-asleep at the helm, jerked his head up at the noise and immediately regretted it, as the motion sent twin streams of rainwater from his tricorne's brim down the back of his coat. Jack swore, snatched the hat off and shook it out, planted it back atop his head, and cast a furtive glance over one shoulder to see if any of the crew were watching.

They weren't, or at least not so that it showed. Most of the Black Pearl's crew were below decks, catching up on much-needed rest now that the storm was done. The few still on deck were too busy and exhausted to pay any mind to their captain making a bloody wet fool of himself. Jack decided it was probably time to hand off the helm. The unexpected cold bath had roused him somewhat, but he still felt as if he was clutching the wheel more to keep himself upright than to steer. He'd guided the Pearl through the storm and most of the night that followed it, not trusting anyone else to keep to his chosen course in the gusting, constantly shifting wind. But now the wind had died down to a strong, steady breeze, land was in sight, and he wasn't going to do himself, his ship or Anamaria any good by falling asleep on his feet.

"Mr. Gibbs!"

"Captain?" Gibbs clambered down from the rigging, looking much more sober than usual despite his drenched clothes and the thick red welt where a snapped bowline had caught him across the face the night before.

"Helm's yours," Jack told him. "Wake me if the wind shifts."

He made it halfway to his cabin before a hatch sprang open at his feet, revealing the sallow face of the Pearl's surgeon, a skinny and unnaturally sober Welshman known, for some obscure reason, as Pig Eye Pete. Pig Eye had earned his position mostly by virtue of a strong stomach and a steady hand, but he made up in practical experience what he lacked in schooling, and he was willing to do the job when no one else would. He was looking after Anamaria now, and Jack wouldn't trade places with him for all the gold in the Spanish Main.

"Captain." Pig Eye hauled himself onto the deck and let the hatch cover fall shut behind him with a clang. "Are we nearing land yet?"

"Sighted it just now." Jack waved one hand vaguely in the direction where he knew the island must be. "How's Anamaria?"

"Drunk." Pig Eye rubbed the side of his head and winced. "And, uhm, feisty. I was just with her, changing the bandage. Nearly brained me with the bottle, she did, and cursed me from here to Tortuga. And all I'd done was jostle her leg a bit. I can't help it if the ship pitches, can I?"

"We'll be off the ship soon enough," Jack told him. "Then you can fix her up proper and keep your noggin safe. Not to mention the rum."

Pig Eye laughed, but the laughter was a little strained. Jack decided that a quick detour was in order. He gave Pig Eye an encouraging pat on the shoulder and made his way down to the forward main deck, where Anamaria had set up a pair of canvas screens to make herself a cabin.

He heard her long before he saw her, wailing at the top of her lungs and only marginally on key.

"Where is me bed, me noggy noggy bed,
It's all gone for rum and tobacco!"

Jack pulled a screen aside just enough to let himself in.

"Anamaria..."

"I lent it to a whore and now it's all a-wore—"

"Anamaria!"

"Bugger off, Jack."

She lay sprawled on her cot, the near-empty bottle of rum—all they had to give her for the pain—cradled against her chest. Her right leg was propped up on a cushion, the bandage strips gaping open around the jagged shard of wood embedded deep in her thigh.

It had been such a rotten piece of luck, Jack thought grimly. The crew had been taking in the main topsail when the yardarm snapped, smashing both itself and Anamaria into the port bulwark, which collapsed from the impact. A quick grab by Gibbs had kept Anamaria from going overboard, but it didn't keep a chunk of the bulwark from spearing right through her leg. It couldn't be pulled out, not without leaving God knew how many splinters behind to fester and rot, and Pig Eye had insisted on being on solid ground before he tried to cut it out. So Jack had set a course for the nearest bit of uninhabited rock he knew of, and hoped he'd judged their position correctly after the storm was done tossing them around.

"Anamaria, light of my life." Jack made to sit on the edge of the cot, thought better of it, and perched on top of her sea chest instead. "You have to stop terrorizing Pig Eye. He's going to be too affrighted to come near you if you keep it up."

"Good."

"Makes it a tad difficult to do surgery."

"I said, good." Anamaria held the bottle up to her ear and shook it a little, listening to the rum slosh inside, then tilted her head back and gulped another mouthful. "You keep that ham-handed Welshman away from me. He's a surgeon like I'm a queen."

"But you are, luv—a true queen amongst pirates." Jack caught the fist she swung at him and planted a kiss on the knuckles. It was a measure of how weakened she was that he was able to do so without getting his face ripped off. "And Pig Eye's the only surgeon we've got, so don't go making him so nervous that his hands start shaking, savvy?"

Anamaria sighed and set the bottle down on the floor next to the cot.

"Come here, Jack," she said in a tired voice. "I need to tell you something."

Jack leaned toward her, concerned, then yelped and fell forward as she grabbed a fistful of dreadlocks and yanked. He caught himself against the edge of the cot, his face just inches from Anamaria's suddenly revitalized glare.

"I swear to God, Jack," she hissed, with rum on her breath and murder in her eyes, "if you let that skinny bastard take my leg off, I'm going to slit both your throats and dance on your bloody corpses."

"On one leg?" Jack blurted, and yelped again as she tightened her grip and twisted. "Ow! Just a joke, darling, no one's removing any body parts or slitting any throats around here. Now you just take your dainty little hand off my— Ow-ow-ow! Dammit, Anamaria, you're worse than Mr. Cotton's parrot!"

"I should bloody well hope so," she snarled, but she did let go. "I meant what I said, Jack."

"So did I." Jack sincerely hoped Pig Eye wouldn't make a liar out of him. It would be a tricky bit of work, cutting that splinter out without nicking a blood vessel. And Jack knew as well as Anamaria did that cutting a leg off that high above the knee was as good as a death sentence, even with a trained surgeon at work.

She scowled and snatched up the bottle again.

"Get out of here, Jack. Let a woman drink in peace.

"It's all for me grog, me jolly, jolly grog,
All gone for rum and tobacco..."

Her drunken voice pursued Jack back to the upper deck and most of the way to his cabin.

"Spent all me tin on the lassies drinking gin," he mumbled sleepily as he dropped onto his own cot. "And across the western ocean I must wander..."





"Captain?"

"Unh..." Jack opened one bleary eye to find Crimp hovering in the doorway. "Are we there yet?"

"Not yet, Captain. But Marty's spotted a sail, and we thought you'd want to see."

"No rest for the wicked." Jack hauled himself to his feet, retrieved his hat and sword belt from the table, and ducked out the door after Crimp.

It was raining again, a chilly gray drizzle that made a man forget he was supposed to be in the tropics. Ahead of them, the island was clearly visible now—a desolate crescent of land, dotted with patches of grass and an occasional sickly palm tree. No shade to speak of and no fresh water, but they wouldn't be staying long, and the Pearl had water and vittles a-plenty in her hold. Jack spared a quick glance for Gibbs, alert and steady at the helm, and climbed to the poop deck to see what the fuss was about.

Marty balanced on top of an overturned crate, peering through a spyglass at a dark blot in the distance. He slapped the glass into Jack's outstretched hand and jumped down, grinning from ear to ear.

"It's the Dauntless," he announced with a glee that did not at all square with the image of a pirate who'd just spotted a ship of the line approaching. Jack took a look himself, and immediately understood why.

"Well, now. Looking a bit daunted, ain't she?"

The Dauntless was low in the water, and listing badly to starboard. She was too far away to give a clear view of the damage through the rain, but it had to be a hell of a mess. The chances of her catching up to the Black Pearl were slimmer than ever, but Jack suspected they both had the same destination in mind.

"I bet the Hangman's on board." Marty bounced on his heels, one hand twitching over the hilt of the long, thin dagger he used for a sword.

"I daresay he is." Jack had never credited the rumors that Commodore Norrington actually lived aboard the Dauntless while in port, but he was fairly sure that the big ship never went to sea with anyone else in command. "What of it?"

"What of it?" Marty's jaw dropped right down to his collarbone. Together with his bald head and short, stocky build, it made him look like a violently startled grouper. "Look at her, Captain! One good sneeze'll bring her down right now. Here's our chance to send the Dauntless and every bastard crewing her straight to the bottom. In pieces."

Being very short, Jack decided, must have much the same effect on one's character as being female. After Anamaria, Marty was by far the most bloodthirsty member of his crew.

"Aye, we could do it. But where's the profit in it?"

"Profit?" Marty's hand twitched over his sword hilt again. "How about one less English warship crisscrossing the Caribbean looking to stretch all our necks?"

"More like five times as many English warships crisscrossing the Caribbean with bloody vengeance on their minds." Jack collapsed the spyglass and dropped it into his coat pocket. "Commodore Norrington might not be especially popular with pirates and women named Elizabeth, but I hear the King's navy sets a great deal of store by him. I say, if he and his men don't bother us, we don't bother them."

"And if they do bother us?" It wasn't Marty who asked. At least a half a dozen men were milling about within earshot now, watching the shadow on the horizon with expressions that ranged from the mildly worried to the furious.

Jack grinned and patted the pistol at his belt. "Then we'll bother back."





By the time they dropped anchor, the rain had stopped again and the sun was sneaking coy glances from behind the parting clouds. The crew set to loading supplies into the longboats while Jack lingered on the poop deck and watched the Dauntless slowly limp closer.

He had a clearer view now—enough to make out the shredded rigging and the fire damage on the bow. He couldn't see the hole in her hull, but there had to be one, to have her listing so badly. Jack spared a little grudging respect for both the seamanship and the sheer bloody cussedness that had to be keeping her afloat and on course.

Footsteps behind him, and a gruff cough to attract his attention.

"Everything all right, Mr. Gibbs?"

"So far, so good." Gibbs leaned against the railing next to Jack and took a gulp from his pocket flask. "I'm just hoping it stays that way." He recapped the flask, but didn't return it to his pocket. "Now, look here, Jack, I know you generally know what you're doing, even when it don't look like you do, but are you sure this is wise?"

"Pirates," Jack said pointedly. "We don't do wise. Or honest, or sober."

"I'm serious, Ja—"

"Or serious."

"You really planning to let the Dauntless anchor here? We'll be within her range in another minute."

"Range of what?" Jack handed him the spyglass. "She's got half her guns pointing down into the water and the other half gaping at the sky. See for yourself."

Gibbs looked, swore, and nearly dropped the glass overboard in his haste to lower it. Jack grabbed it back just in time.

"What is it?"

"The Hangman's watching us!"

"Well, of course he is. We're watching him, ain't we?" Jack put the glass to his own eye again, aimed it at the blue-coated figure on the other ship's quarterdeck. Couldn't tell for sure if it was Norrington, but he thought it was a good bet. "He can't harm us by looking, and he can't do anything else."

"Not while we're at sea," Gibbs scratched the back of his neck. "What happens when we're ashore?"

Fair question, that. The Black Pearl was currently being crewed by fifty-three men, one incapacitated woman and a parrot. The Dauntless, if she carried her full complement, would have close to seven hundred sailors and marines on board. Jack thought it over for a few moments, tugging absently at one beaded chin braid as he considered his options.

"Run up a flag of truce and lower a boat." He headed for the gangway, pitching his voice to carry to the men working below. "Mr. Gibbs, ship's yours. Mr. Cotton, you're with me. No one else leaves the ship until I say so. Move, you sluggards!"

"Captain?" Gibbs caught up with him just as he reached the upper deck. "What's the plan?"

"Going to have a word with the commodore," Jack told him, "just to make sure no one does anything stupid."





Apparently, a commodore's dignity required a proper escort, because the boat that pulled out from the Dauntless to meet them held not only Norrington and one very fidgety sailor at the oars, but also a pair of stone-faced marines who, Jack suspected, would've fidgeted too if they'd been allowed.

"Commodore Norrington!" Jack called out as soon as they were within earshot. "You look positively... disreputable."

"Scurvy dog! Scurvy dog!" said Mr. Cotton's parrot.

It was true. Norrington was unshaven and bleary-eyed, his cravat missing, his coat damp and sooty and torn along one shoulder seam. His wig had been discarded in favor of a blood-stained bandage, which made his hat sit at an unusually rakish angle. He looked, overall, as if he'd just come off a three-day bender in Tortuga. Only his voice was unchanged. He must've been born with that posh, disdainful tone, dripping sarcasm on the midwife as she smacked his bottom.

"Mr. Sparrow. What, exactly, do you think you're—"

"Captain." Jack rolled his eyes in exasperation. "Captain Sparrow. Is that really so difficult? I called you Commodore, after all, and at the moment, you're a lot closer to being shipless than I am."

Norrington closed his eyes and took a slow, deep breath. Jack thought he could actually hear his upper lip stiffening.

"Captain Sparrow. What, I ask again, do you think you're doing?"

"Why, isn't it obvious? I'm anchoring at this lovely tropical paradise," Jack fluttered one hand in the general direction of the island, "in order to give my loyal crew a few days' shore leave. They've all been working so hard, you see, looting and pillaging their little hearts out, and I thought we'd have ourselves a little party. To boost morale, as it were. Roast a few pigs, tap a few kegs. You know how it is."

"Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum!" said Mr. Cotton's parrot.

"I shudder to imagine," Norrington drawled. "However, I'm afraid you'll have to move your... celebration elsewhere."

"Oh?" Jack leaned forward and affected an expression of deep curiosity. "And why is that, pray tell?"

"Because I'm anchoring the Dauntless at this lovely tropical paradise, for reasons slightly more urgent than a party."

"So?" Jack fluttered his hands again, partly because it was obviously annoying Norrington, and partly because he just liked the way the light glinted off his rings when he did it. "The place is big enough for the two of us."

Norrington looked as if he didn't think the Atlantic was big enough for the two of them. "Now, see here, Sparrow. Under normal circumstances, you'd be sitting in my brig by now, and I think—"

"No, you see here." Jack decided he was in no mood for Navy bluster. "Under normal circumstances, I don't mind admitting that the mere sight of you and that floating armory you call a ship is more than enough to make any self-respecting pirate head for the horizon under full canvas. But this ain't exactly what I'd call a normal circumstance, and if you try to threaten me, I shall be forced to laugh in your face." He stopped to catch his breath and enjoy the sound of Norrington's teeth grinding. "So let's get something straight here. We were here first, and we ain't leaving. If you want to sail on, I'll be happy to see the back of you. But if you're planning to stay, then I want your word that neither you nor any of your crew will lift a weapon against us while we're ashore."

"And if I refuse to give my word?" Norrington asked coldly. Jack spread his arms in invitation.

"Then feel free to engage us. And may the best ship win."

"Load the cannons!" said Mr. Cotton's parrot.

Norrington was silent for an awfully long time. Jack waited with all the patience he could muster and hoped that the man would be sensible. The seconds dragged on. Mr. Cotton's parrot squawked. The marines in the other boat heroically continued to not fidget.

Aboard the Dauntless, someone shouted. There was an ominous creaking noise, followed by a crash, and the entire ship shuddered like a living thing in pain. For a moment, it actually looked as if she might founder. And in that moment, Commodore James Norrington looked as if someone had gut-stabbed him with a dull knife.

It lasted for only an eye-blink. Then the Dauntless stilled, wounded but afloat. And Norrington met Jack's gaze with an expression so perfectly composed, Jack had to fight the urge to applaud.

"Very well, Captain Sparrow. You have my word."

"You'll keep out of our way, then?"

"I'll do my utmost best to pretend that you don't exist."

"No need to go that far," Jack said, affronted. Norrington just glared at him, until Jack grinned and shrugged. "Oh, all right, do what you must. We have an accord, then?"

Norrington nodded curtly. "We have an accord."

"Well, shiver me timbers!" said Mr. Cotton's parrot.

 



Chapter 2

Lieutenant Gillette was waiting on deck when Norrington returned to the Dauntless. From the pinched, anxious look on his face, Norrington suspected that he'd watched the entire negotiation like a hawk (or perhaps a mother hen), waiting for some nefarious betrayal on Sparrow's part. Gillette's first words confirmed the suspicion.

"Commodore! Thank God you're all right."

"I don't believe I was in any danger, Lieutenant."

Gillette looked skeptical at this. He had objected vehemently and at great length to Norrington's decision to negotiate with Sparrow. He was, no doubt, going to object again once he learned the results. Norrington supposed it was too late, at this stage in his career, to establish himself as a martinet who expected unquestioning obedience from his officers. Pity, that.

He postponed the inevitable for a few moments by taking the time to remove his shoes and stockings, handing them off to Jennings, who appeared at his side with his usual impeccable timing. In the aftermath of the storm, with the Dauntless nearly at beam-ends, most of the officers had gone barefoot like the common sailors. Only Gillette clung to appearances, skidding across the sloping decks in his shoes and grasping at the rigging for balance. Perhaps the real reason the man looked so sour was that his feet hurt.

"I know we were under truce," Gillette said, "but one never knows what to expect from a pirate, does one? Especially Sparrow."

"Indeed," Norrington said. "But, as you can see, there's been no harm done."

Gillette looked cautiously hopeful. "You've sent the rascal on his way, then?"

Norrington suppressed a sigh. "Not quite."

Gillete's face grew more and more red as Norrington explained the nature of his agreement with Sparrow. By the end, he looked like a very ripe apple, and Norrington began to worry about apoplexy.

"Sir, you can't possibly mean to go through with this. The Admiralty will—"

"I shall take full responsibility with the Admiralty, Lieutenant."

"With all due respect, sir, that's exactly what worries me."

Gillette had a point there. Norrington's once-spotless record was already marred by the Interceptor's loss and Sparrow's escape. At this rate, he might find himself going from being one of the youngest post-captains in the service to being the oldest midshipman.

Gillette himself was even worse off. Sparrow's brief hijacking of the Dauntless had damaged his prospects almost irreparably. Gillette's best hope of achieving any sort of command, let alone a post-captaincy, now depended on Norrington's reaching flag rank, which went a long way toward explaining the man's increased solicitousness over the past year. Didn't make it any easier to bear, though.

"I appreciate your concern, Lieutenant. But I've made my decision."

Gillette's chin quivered a little, the way it usually did when he was getting worked up over something. "Sir, you know Sparrow cannot be trusted—."

"Nor do I trust him," Norrington said wearily. "But if he wished to attack us, he could've done so by now, without resorting to stratagems. We can't run, we can't maneuver, and one good broadside will likely finish us. And yet, Sparrow has not fired that one good broadside. Ergo, he does not mean to attack us at sea. And on land, we have the numbers on our side."

"Then attack once we're ashore."

"Lieutenant." Norrington drew himself up and fixed Gillette with his best commodorial glare. "I gave my word."

"To a pirate!"

"Sparrow's honor is not at issue here; mine is."

"My apologies, Sir." Gillette wilted a little, and faded to a somewhat less alarming color. "I spoke too freely."

"Apology accepted." Norrington raised one hand to massage his forehead, then jerked it back when his fingers encountered the edge of the bandage. He'd actually forgotten it was there. Less than twelve hours earlier, a particularly vindictive wave had broken across the bow, swept him off his feet and smacked him head first against the capstan before retreating back into the sea to nurse its grudge. He had bled like the proverbial stuck pig and used language unbecoming an officer and a gentleman while the surgeon patched him up. And yet, he was quite sure that the headache he was currently nursing had little to do with the gash over his left temple and everything to do with the fact that he'd spent the morning dealing with Jack Sparrow and Charles Gillette.

"I say, is that a pirate ship? How jolly!"

Correction. Make that Sparrow, Gillette and Ledingham. Norrington closed his eyes and counted ten. Backwards. In Latin. It didn't really help, but at least he had time to compose his face before turning to face the new arrival.

"Yes, it is, Your Grace."

The eighth Duke of Ledingham tottered across the deck in diamond-buckled shoes that were even more unsuitable for the occasion than Gillette's. Someone—his long-faced martyr of a manservant no doubt—had cleaned him up, shaved him and dressed him in a clean shirt and chartreuse brocade coat with matching breeches. Combined with the Duke's stringy build and elaborate blond wig, the end result resembled a giant dandelion.

"It's about time!" Ledingham announced, sounding remarkably fresh and chipper for somebody who'd spent the duration of the storm whimpering in a corner of his cabin. (Norrington's cabin, actually, ceded for the trip.) "I'd been hoping to see a pirate ship ever since I left England. It's not very big, is it?"

Norrington did his best to look respectful. The Duke, he reminded himself, was very young. Barely eighteen. People were supposed to be fools at that age. And if Ledingham often seemed to take that idea to an extreme... well, a man who was related to two admirals and reputed to be chummy with the Prince of Wales could get away with a great deal of stupidity. Like traveling to the Caribbean to inspect his newly-purchased cotton plantation instead of sending an agent the way sane people did. Like insisting, armed with letters from both of his illustrious uncles, that only the grandest ship in the Jamaica fleet was good enough to ferry him and his valet from Port Royal to Grand Cayman. Like thinking that a pirate ship was "jolly."

"Pirate ships survive by being fast, not big. This is one of the larger ones, actually."

"Who is it, then?" Ledingham produced a small silver-plated spyglass from his coat pocket and pointed it in the general direction of the Pearl. "Is it somebody famous?"

Norrington considered lying, but decided that someone was bound to spill the beans sooner or later. "It's the Black Pearl, Your Grace. Captained by Jack Sparrow."

"It is somebody famous!" Ledingham nearly dropped his glass in his excitement. "I've read broadsheets about him back in London. Are we going to engage him? Do you think I could meet him first?"

"We are not going to engage him," Norrington said firmly. "I have negotiated a temporary truce with him."

"A truce? Splendid! Then I can meet him."

Norrington shuddered at the prospect. "I'm afraid the terms of the truce preclude mingling between the crews." That wasn't, strictly speaking, true, but he had promised Sparrow that he would ignore him. And ignoring, presumably, meant not sending over a peer of the realm for a social visit.

Ledingham looked crestfallen, but brightened all too quickly.

"But I'm not a part of the crew, am I? So the terms of your truce don't apply to me, and I could—"

"The terms," Norrington snapped, "apply to everyone aboard."

"I must object, Commodore!" Ledingham stuck out his chin and pinched his face into what was probably meant to be a determined and commanding expression. "I'm not one of your common sailors, after all, or some merchant paying his passage. You have no authority to—"

Norrington's headache was rapidly spreading down the back of his neck and across his shoulders. He wished he had the luxury of escaping an unpleasant conversation with a conveniently timed fainting fit, the way women always seemed to. Instead he fell back, with only a small twinge of guilt, on command privilege.

"I'm afraid I don't have time to discuss this, Your Grace. Lieutenant, please escort the Duke to his cabin and meet me on the quarterdeck." And he marched off, ignoring Ledingham's outraged protests and Gillette's sputter.

There was, indeed, a great deal to be done, even if one wasn't avoiding confrontations with pirate-chasing aristocrats. Things to be discussed with the helmsman, the carpenter, the boatswain. By the time Norrington made it to the quarterdeck, Gillette was already there, looking extremely put-upon. Ledingham was nowhere in sight.

"Good show, Lieutenant," Norrington told him. Gillette gave a weak smile before turning to peer across the slowly narrowing gap between the Dauntless and the Pearl.

"What do you think Sparrow's up to, Sir? I mean, I know he's mad, but surely even he wouldn't insist on sharing a small island with the Royal Navy without good reason."

"He claims," Norrington said dryly, "that he wants to have a party."

"A party?" Gillette looked as if he couldn't decide whether to be amused or outraged. "That's his idea of a good reason?"

"He's lying, of course." Norrington took out his spyglass and extended it toward the Pearl. "Or rather, not telling the whole truth... What the devil are they doing over there?"

There was some sort of commotion happening on the Pearl's deck. Norrington thought at first that the pirates had ganged up on one of their number and were attempting to tie him up and toss him overboard. A longer look revealed that they were actually strapping the man into a boatswain's chair, and encountering a great deal of resistance in the endeavor. The situation appeared to be rapidly deteriorating until Sparrow waded in and restored order with surprising efficiency. The recalcitrant pirate was strapped in and slowly lowered overboard toward a waiting boat, giving Norrington his first clear look.

"That's a woman," he blurted out.

"What, on the Pearl?" Gillette, lacking a handy glass, leaned over the rail and squinted, though it couldn't possibly have done him much good. "A prisoner, you mean? Or one of their whores?"

"A crew member, from what it looks like. And injured. No wonder Sparrow's so set on staying." That was one mystery resolved, anyhow. The knowledge came as something of a relief. Sparrow's situation, for all his showy posturing, had to be as desperate as Norrington's own. Which was a hell of a lot less humiliating than having the Dauntless' plight used for a lunatic pirate's personal amusement.

"If that was his reason," Gillette huffed, looking affronted, "then why didn't the man just say so?"

"Because he's Captain Jack Sparrow," Norrington sighed, and trudged off to see the surgeon about getting something for his headache.

 



Chapter 3

The Dauntless had to wait for the tide, so the Pearls had plenty of time to choose the best site for a camp and get themselves settled in. Jack had the men erect a makeshift tent with sailcloth and spare timber from the hold and move Anamaria into it. The trip from ship to shore had been hard on her. She'd started out swinging at anyone who came near and cursing in three languages, but now she just lay there, limp and sweating, clutching a fresh bottle of rum against her side and snarling weakly at all comers. Pig Eye examined her leg one more time, announced that he needed to fetch some supplies, and rowed back to the Pearl in one of the jollyboats. Jack sat down at Anamaria's side, but she reached out with a shaky hand and smacked him on the shoulder.

"Get lost, Jack. I'm sick of your damned hovering."

He understood; she didn't like to be seen weak and hurting, especially not by her captain. So Jack left the tent and, to distract himself from worrying, took his spyglass to the top of a nearby rise and sat down to observe, a quarter-mile up the shoreline, the Dauntless lumbering sluggishly into the shallows.

He had to give the navy lads their due: they were damned efficient about their business, sailing in with the highest tide and turning the big ship parallel to the shore line before dropping anchor and hauling out the tackles on the leeward side. She'd be grounded when the tide receded, Jack thought. Norrington must be planning to careen her against the beach to make the repairs. Jack didn't envy the commodore—or, more likely, the commodore's men—the work that lay ahead.

"Captain?" Gibbs climbed up the rise, huffing a little from the exertion and looking disturbingly grave. "You're needed back in camp."

"What is it?" Jack tottered to his feet. "Is it Anamaria?"

"Not quite." Gibbs shoved his hands into his coat pockets and lifted his shoulders in an awkward shrug. "It's Pig Eye."

Pig Eye Pete lay face down in the sand, oblivious to the waves that lapped at his toes. A few feet away, the conspicuously empty jolly boat bobbed up and down. Pig Eye moaned pathetically when Jack booted him in the ribs, but made no attempt to move away.

"I thought he was taking too long out there," Gibbs explained, "so I rowed out to the Pearl to check his doings. Found him in the hold, drunk out of his thick Welsh skull."

"Drunk?" Jack grabbed two fistfuls of Pig Eye's shirt and hauled him up till they were practically nose to nose. A thick odor of rum and rotting food washed over him. "You don't even drink!" he yelled into Pig Eye's slack face.

"Jesht a shmall drop for corrige," Pig Eye slurred. His legs buckled and he slumped heavily against Jack, who had to strain to hold him up. "'Shnogood, anyways. I can't do it, Cap'n. I'll bollock it up for sure, and then if you don't kill me, she will."

"I've more than half a mind to kill you now," Jack told him. Pig Eye buried his face in Jack's armpit and broke into loud, slobbery sobs. Jack glanced over at Gibbs.

"How much has he drunk?"

"Don't think it was overmuch, Sir. He's obviously not accustomed it."

"Right." Jack shoved Pig Eye into Gibbs' arms. "See if you can sober him up. I'll... I'll go see Anamaria."

Anamaria, with most of two bottles of rum inside her, proved a lot more philosophical about the situation than Jack himself was.

"It's true, you know," she said glumly. "Drunk or sober, he's going to bollocks it up. You might as well give the knife to Gibbs, or Marty, or Mr. Cotton and his damned parrot. Hell, do the job yourself if you like. Won't make no difference." She scowled down at her leg. "Stupid way to die. They'll laugh themselves silly in Tortuga when word gets around."

"Watch your language, sailor." Jack poked her in the shoulder. "I'm Captain Jack Sparrow, and nobody in this crew's dying without my say-so. You just get comfy here and keep company with the rum, and let me take care of everything, savvy?"

"Aye, Jack." She took a long pull from the bottle and let her head fall back on the rolled-up hammock she was using as a pillow. "I savvy."

Outside, Gibbs had filled a bucket with seawater and was dunking Pig Eye's head in it, over and over. He looked to be enjoying himself, but Pig Eye didn't seem especially sobered by the experience.

"Try something else," Jack told him, and went to sit alone by one of the campfires, because killing the ship's surgeon in a fit of temper would probably be bad for morale.

Ship's surgeon. Wasn't that a fine laugh... Jack stared moodily into the flames and wondered if Anamaria was right, if he was better off doing the job himself. Problem was, he'd never before stuck a knife into anyone he wasn't trying to kill, and he didn't think anyone else in the crew ever had either. And it wasn't as if he'd have a chance to practice beforehand...

"Captain." Marty appeared at his side, pointing toward the far end of the beach. "We've a visitor."

A man was striding across the sand toward them. A stocky, middle-aged man in a sober brown coat and vest, carrying a bulky black bag. Not a navy man or a marine, obviously, yet he had to be coming from the navy camp.

Jack rose to his feet. Around him, some of the other pirates were getting up, muttering to each other as they watched the newcomer approach. Hands hovered over sword hilts and pistol butts.

"Easy, lads," Jack said, pitching his voice to carry. A lone man was not a threat, and he didn't want anyone overreacting. This truce was fragile enough as it was.

The man stopped a few paces away and set his bag down on the ground. His gaze was wary, but not especially frightened. He looked over the row of scowling pirates in front of him before settling his attention on Jack.

"Captain Sparrow?"

"Who wants to know?"

"Dr. Isaac Bentworth. I'm the Dauntless' surgeon."

Jack stared at him blankly. "You are?"

"I understand you have a crewmember in need of medical care."

"You do?"

"I've come to see if I can be of help."

"You ha—" Jack broke off abruptly, aware that he was starting to sound like an idiot. He cleared his throat, squared his shoulders, and did his best to look completely unfazed by this turn of events. "You're offering your services?"

"I am."

Jack absently tugged at a chin braid and regarded Bentworth with narrowed eyes. There was a small, warm spark inside his chest that might've been hope, but he was reluctant to let it flare to full life. It was too easy, too bloody convenient. Jack Sparrow had had a whole misspent lifetime to learn that while problems frequently appeared willy-nilly out of the blue, solutions seldom did. Sure, he believed in luck—anyone with half a brain had to—but luck was a fickle strumpet, and the times when she smiled at you and batted her pretty lashes were exactly the times to watch your back.

"Does Norrington know you're here?" The last thing he needed was a brassed-off commodore leading a rescue party for his missing surgeon.

Bentworth smiled wryly. "Commodore Norrington sent me."

"Ah." The news was not exactly reassuring. "And what does the good commodore want in return?"

Bentworth shrugged. "Nothing that he's told me of."

"What did he tell you then?"

"He told me," Bentworth said with a trace of impatience in his voice, "that you had an injured woman on board, and that if my conscience as as man of medicine demanded I do something about it, he wouldn't stand in my way."

It was the ever-so-slight emphasis on "woman" that made the pieces click into place in Jack's mind. Norrington was being chivalrous. Toward Anamaria. Jack wondered if he should tell her. On the one hand, her immediate reaction was bound to be good for a laugh or twelve. On the other hand, it would probably spoil the truce if the commodore woke up in the morning with his balls shoved down his throat.

And the whole point would be moot anyway if Anamaria died.

"A real doctor and a man with a conscience." Jack swept the hat from his head and made an elaborate, formal bow to usher Bentworth into the campsite. "I don't think I've ever had either in this crew before. Let's go meet the patient, shall we?"





Anamaria fainted about twenty minutes into the surgery, which was a relief all around. Jack, who'd been helping to hold her down, took the opportunity to make his escape from the tent. He was beginning to think he might've been too harsh on Pig Eye.

There was blood on his shirt, and on his face, and probably in his hair, too. Amazing how that stuff splashed about. Jack stripped off his boots and breeches, dumped them in the sand and waded chest-deep into the water. He ducked under a couple of times, then pulled the shirt off over his head and scrubbed until the worst of the stains were out. The water was cooler than usual and cloudy with silt stirred up by the storm, but the late afternoon sun felt warm and pleasant on his bare back.

Gibbs was waiting for him on the beach with a clean set of clothes and a bottle of rum. Jack grabbed at the bottle first and took a few good swigs while he waited for the sun to dry him off.

"How's Anamaria?" Gibbs asked.

"Too early to tell." Jack scuffed his feet against a tuft of grass to brush the sand off, took the bundle of clothes from Gibbs' arms and began to dress. "This Bentworth fellow seems to know what he's doing, though. I suppose Norrington wouldn't keep him on if he wasn't good."

Gibbs glowered at the mention of Norrington's name and made a quick sign against the evil eye. "Bad luck, accepting help from an enemy," he muttered. "You might think it a favor now, but mark my words, these things have a way of coming back to haunt you. And always at the worst possible moment, too."

"Given a choice," Jack said, "I'd rather be haunted by Norrington than by Anamaria."





Two hours later, a haggard and blood-splattered Dr. Bentworth emerged from the tent to pronounce Anamaria out of danger.

"She's weak from the blood loss," he said, "and likely to be in a great deal of pain when she wakes up, but I've cleaned all the debris from the wound and found no sign of infection. I suggest you leave her where she is for at least two days and make sure she gets plenty to eat and drink—something other than rum, preferably."

"I think we can manage that." Jack lifted the tent flap and looked in. The air inside stank of blood and sweat. Anamaria lay perfectly still, her bandaged leg propped up on a rolled-up blanket. The slack look on her face was unnerving, but she was breathing steadily. Jack ducked out again and turned to Bentworth, who was wiping his face and hands with a damp towel. "My thanks to you, Doctor. And I'd say to give my thanks to the commodore, but I doubt he'll be wanting them."

"I'm sure he'll take your gratitude in the spirit it's offered," Bentworth said wryly, then glanced toward the setting sun. "I'd better be getting back to my own side of the island, I think."

"Mind answering a question before you go?" Jack asked. Now that his mind was no longer preoccupied with worries about Anamaria, his curiosity was beginning to reassert itself.

Bentworth looked cautious. "Depends on what it is."

"Don't worry." Jack grinned at him. "Your deep dark secrets are safe with me. I was just wondering what happened to put that fine big ship of yours into such a sorry state."

"Maybe you'd better ask the commodore."

"We're not exactly what you'd call on speaking terms."

"Then maybe I shouldn't tell you either."

"Why? Is it a military secret or something?"

"No." Bentworth hesitated. "I suppose it would do no harm for you to know. I'm no sailor, mind you, and I was below decks for most of the time, so I can't give you a detailed account. But from what I gather, we were struck by lightning, which started a fire. And while the men were busy putting it out, we were blown off course, and grazed a reef. Or a rock. Or perhaps a sea monster. Opinions vary."

Jack whistled softly through his teeth. "You're lucky you stayed afloat, mate."

"Yes, I gather that, too." Bentworth grimaced wryly. "It's been quite a voyage. One doesn't generally expect this much excitement in the Caribbean."

"You obviously haven't been sailing on the right ship," Jack told him.

 



Chapter 4

It took all day and a good part of the night to get the Dauntless unloaded and properly careened and hove down. With only 150 men on board—Norrington had seen no reason to muster the full complement of sailors and marines for a ferry run to Georgetown, not even to escort a duke—everyone had to pitch in to get the job done, and Norrington spent an uncomfortable hour up to his waist in the water, straining against the ropes with the rest of the crew while the carpenter and his mate worked the relieving tackles into place. It was more physical labor than he'd done in years, and served as a handy reminder of why he'd worked so hard to get promoted.

Even Ledingham tried to pitch in to help, though he succeeded mainly in providing everyone else with something to trip over. After a while, Norrington got tired of listening to periodic outbursts of "Bloody he— I beg your pardon, Your Grace, my fault entirely," conducted the young fool to shore, and set him to taking inventory of the unloaded provisions. It was a harmless enough task, since Norrington already knew the tally perfectly well.

It was long past dark by the time Norrington judged the Dauntless properly secured. And then there was the matter of setting up the campsite, assigning watches, getting all the unloaded gear and supplies properly stowed... Norrington was prowling the beach in search of his quaretermaster when a determined-looking Bentworth stepped into his path.

"Get some rest, Commodore. Doctor's orders."

"I'm perfectly fine," Norrington protested.

"Of course you are." Bentworth set down the lantern he'd been holding, grabbed hold of Norrington's arm and pulled downward. It wasn't an especially hard pull, but Norrington's knees buckled with distressing ease and he sat down hard on the damp sand.

"I knew it." Bentworth tugged Norrington's shirtsleeve out of the way and took his pulse. "How long since you last slept?"

Norrington thought about it. "How long since the storm hit?"

"Yes, that's what I thought you'd say." Bentworth crouched at Norrington's side and dug a pair of scissors from his bag. "Let's have a look at that thick head of yours." He swiped the hat from Norrington's head, dropped it in Norrington's lap, and quickly snipped away at the bandage. "Hmm... seems to be healing nicely. Shouldn't leave a scar." He sat back on his heels and fixed Norrington with a threatening glare. "And now you will go to that nice dry tent the men have erected for you, and lie down, and sleep. Immediately. Or I will tell Lieutenant Gillette that you're on the brink of collapse."

"I'm not—" Norrington began, then thought better of it. Bentworth would tell Gillette, and Gillette would hover and fuss and watch his every move and otherwise make himself insufferable. More so than usual, that is. Besides, now that Bentworth had brought it up, the prospect of sleep did sound tempting. Norrington mustered up another half-hearted scowl, merely for form's sake, hauled himself to his feet and staggered to the tent. The sight of the blankets and cushions piled inside was nearly enough to send him to sleep on his feet through mere power of suggestion. He only just managed to shrug out of his wet coat and toss his hat aside before falling over.





Agitated voices dragged him back to wakefulness long before he was ready to be dragged. Norrington's thoughts felt slow and fuzzy. It took him several seconds to register that one of the voices belonged to Gillette, still longer to recognize the accompanying sounds as the clicks of muskets being cocked. The latter realization put an immediate end to the fuzziness. Norrington burst out of the tent feeling more alert and wide-awake than he had in days.

The horizon was just starting to brighten in the east, which meant he'd had four hours of sleep at most. There was no opportunity to work up a proper annoyance over this fact, because just a few yards away, a highly agitated Gillette, flanked by a trio of marines, was facing off against Jack Sparrow and a pair of anonymous pirates.

Norrington forced himself to stride rather than run toward the disturbance. It didn't seem to be in immediate danger of turning violent, despite the marines' cocked and shouldered muskets. The crew, mindful of their commodore's orders regarding the truce, were staying back, and none of the pirates had any weapons visible. Still, Norrington judged it wise to speak up as soon as he could do so without resorting to undignified shouting.

"What's going on here, Lieutenant?"

"Sir!" Gillette cast a quick glance in his direction before refocusing all his attention on Sparrow. "These... these pirates were attempting to sneak into our camp."

"Were not!" Sparrow sounded genuinely offended at the idea that someone might accuse him of sneaking. "We were walking into your camp. Openly, in broad twilight. Under a flag of truce." He gestured toward the pirate on his right, who was clutching a stick with a ragged white handkerchief tied to it. "And this is how you greet us? I'm sorely disappointed in the royal navy, Commodore."

Gillette was turning that alarming red color again and looking all set to launch on a tirade. Norrington gestured him to silence with what he hoped was an unobtrusive shake of his head.

"Captain Sparrow." Easier to just use the bloody title, he decided, than to go through the same argument every single time. "I seem to recall that the terms of our truce specified that we all keep out of each other's way."

"Ah, but you've already broken those terms, haven't you?" Sparrow grinned and tilted his head at just the right angle to make the first weak rays of sunlight glint off his gold teeth. "Or at least your surgeon did."

Ah, yes. He'd known that one was going to come back and bite him. "Are you here to lodge a complaint about Dr. Bentworth's visit, then?"

"Oh, no. No complaints around here." Sparrow held one hand out in front of him, palm forward and fingers spread, as if ready to ward off any complaint that might approach. "I just thought, since your side has broken the ice, so to speak, that this might be an opportune moment for a friendly gesture."

"Friendly gesture?" Norrington made no attempt to conceal his disbelief at the notion. Sparrow shrugged and pointed at the ground in front of him. Norrington looked down and noticed for the first time the three squat oaken barrels that sat in the sand at the pirates' feet.

"What's this?" he demanded sharply. More sharply than the situation warranted, perhaps, but he felt annoyed with himself. Sleep or no sleep, he really should've noticed those barrels before Sparrow had to point them out.

"They rolled them here across the beach, Sir," Gillette put in, stating the obvious with the earnest air of a man who was going to be helpful or die trying. Norrington took a deep breath, counted to five and let it out again.

"Thank you, Lieutenant. You may return to your duties now. I'll deal with the situation here."

Gillette opened his mouth, and for a moment Norrington thought he was actually going to argue, despite their audience. But he caught himself in time, snapped, "Aye-aye, Sir!" in a voice pitched only slightly higher than usual, and marched off. Norrington suppressed an entirely unworthy sigh of relief and faced Sparrow again.

"What's this?" he repeated.

"Brandy," Sparrow said cheerfully. "French. Very high-quality. Or so I'm told, anyhow. Never drink the stuff myself, rum's more than good enough for the likes of me, but really, the way the cook on that French merchanter carried on when we emptied his stores, you'd think we were carting his heart's blood away in barrels. So, seeing as how you and your fellow officers are ever so much more likely to give this fine beverage its proper due, we thought we'd take this opportunity to improve relations. So to speak. After all, it's not every day that..."

The torrent of words flowed on and on, with no sign of approaching an end. Norrington let it fade into the background while he concentrated on the central point.

"Let me see if I have this right. You have robbed a French merchant ship of its brandy—"

"Among other things."

"And are now offering your ill-gotten gains to me as a gift."

"Precisely." Sparrow beamed. Norrington mustered his best cold glare.

"Thank you, Captain Sparrow, but I have no need for brandy at the moment." It hurt to say it, it really did. If ever a man had need for brandy, Norrington was fairly sure it was himself at that moment. And he could see, under the coating of wet sand clinging to the barrels, the words "Grande Fine Champagne" branded into the wood. The temptation was positively unfair.

Sparrow, meanwhile, was still grinning at him like an idiot.

"Need's got nothing to do with it, mate. It's a luxury. You've heard of those, right?"

"I've no pressing need for luxuries, either."

Sparrow shook his head. "You're really not getting the point here, are you?"

"Nor do I wish to. I don't know what you're trying to accomplish here, Sparrow, but I'm not going to participate. Please remove yourself and your liquor from my camp."

The grin turned into a mocking smirk. "What's the matter, afraid I've poisoned it?"

"If I say yes, will you go?"

Now the smirk vanished, too. Sparrow glanced at his two silent henchmen, then at the marines, then back at Norrington.

"May I have a word in private, Commodore?"

"No."

The smirk returned, more irritating than before. "Really, Commodore, I'm not going to drag you off into the bushes and attack your virtue. We can stand right over there." Sparrow pointed toward the waterline. "Your marines can keep an eye on us. I promise to keep my hands to myself."

Perhaps it would be easier to just go along with the nonsense for once. Besides, Norrington was growing curious despite himself.

"Very well, Sparrow, come along."

He'd forgotten the "captain," but Sparrow, apparently, had also decided that it was too much bother to keep arguing about. They walked across the beach together, stopping at the line of broken shells and dead seaweed that marked the edge of the high tide. It was just far enough to allow them to talk without being overheard if they kept their voices low. Sparrow stopped, folded his arms across his chest, and fixed Norrington with a hard, narrow-eyed stare. Norrington matched it.

"What is it, then, Sparrow?"

Once again, Sparrow let the informal address slide. "Take the bloody brandy, Commodore."

"Why?"

Sparrow stared at him a few seconds longer, then turned away to face the open sea. In the distance, where the coastline curved to the east, the Pearl's black masts swayed back and forth against the pale sky.

"She's going to recover," Sparrow said.

"Who?" Norrington asked, a split second before he remembered. "Ah, yes. That lady pirate of yours."

Sparrow gave a short, ragged laugh. "Neither a lady nor mine, mate. But she's going to live, and keep her leg. Take the bloody brandy."

Comprehension dawned. "Is that what this is about, then? You feel you owe me some gesture of gratitude?"

Sparrow shrugged, shifted his stance, tapped one booted foot against the sand. Norrington might've taken the display for nervousness, except he knew that the man was incapable of keeping still for any length of time.

"I'm not leaving this island indebted to you." Sparrow faced him again, grin back in place, but now Norrington could see the tension in it. "I've been told it's bad luck."

Curious, to see what notions of honor a pirate might hold. Though not as curious, perhaps, as the fact that he held any in the first place. Norrington considered disclaiming all responsibility for Bentworth's actions, pretending disapproval, even. But Sparrow had been, by his own bizarre standards, surprisingly frank. He deserved a measure of frankness in return.

"I appreciate the sentiment, Captain. But I've already put myself into an extremely awkward position by making this accord with you. My report to the admiralty will be... an interesting exercise in composition. I cannot, for my own self-preservation, accept anything that might even remotely be viewed as a bribe."

Sparrow frowned and scratched his chin. "I hadn't thought about the Admiralty," he admitted.

"I'm not surprised," Norrington said dryly. "If it's any consolation, I do believe you meant well, which I'm sure must be an uncommon experience for you. But right now, you would make my life infinitely easier by taking your bloody brandy and leaving."

Sparrow began to say something, but the words were instantly drowned out by ebullient cries of "Sparrow? Is that Captain Jack Sparrow? How exciting!"

With a heavy sense of foreboding—no, not foreboding but certain doom—Norrington turned to greet the Duke of Ledingham.

Ledingham had exchanged yesterday's chartreuse suite for a puce one, with a great deal of frothy lace at the cuffs and an elaborately knotted cravat pinned with a diamond the size of a wallnut. He was flushed with excitement, literally bouncing on his feet as he grabbed Sparrow's hand and pumped it. Sparrow actually looked taken aback by this development, which Norrington found oddly reassuring.

"I've read all about you!" Ledingham shook Sparrow's hand some more and, in a move that threatened to send Norrinton into a convulsion of laughter, pushed the pirate's shirtsleeve back to reveal the East India brand and the edge of the tattoo. Sparrow made a noise rather like an outraged cat and twisted his arm free. Leddingham bubbled on, oblivous. "It's all true, then? Everything they say in the broadsheets back in England? I had been hoping to meet you when I came to the Caribbean."

"Broadsheets? Really?" Sparrow was rapidly recovering his poise and starting to enjoy the adulation. He gave Norrington a sly sideways glance. "I bet they don't write broadsheets about you back in England, Commodore."

"I should hope not," Norrington said stolidly. Ledingham, meanwhile, was going on as if no one else had spoken.

"Is it true you vanished from the brig of an East Indiaman in the middle of the open ocean, with no ship or boat around to take you away? You must tell me how you did it!"

"Well," Sparrow began, "there I was, clapped in irons and unceremoniously tossed into—"

"Captain Sparrow!" Norrington was quite certain that the tale, whatever it might be, was entirely unsuitable for Ledingham's ears, or anyone else's, for that matter. Besides, he didn't care for the appraising way Sparrow was eyeing the diamond at Ledingham's throat. "Don't you have pressing business back in your own camp?"

"Not re—" Sparrow intercepted Norrington's glare, and broke off with an emphatic cough. "Aye. Of course. Business. Terribly urgent. Must go immediately. Back to my own camp." He clapped Ledingham on the shoulder. "We'll have to do this another time. Must go now. Ta." And then, to Norrington's immense relief, he actually went.





With no further emergencies to claim his attention, and Bentworth and Gillette glowering at him like a pair of governesses with an ill-behaved pupil, Norrington retreated back to his tent and slept till midafternoon. He woke to discover that not only had Jennings miraculously restored his coat and wig to wearable condition, he had also procured soap, clean towels, and a newly-stropped razor. And coffee. Norrington thought nothing could drive thoughts of stolen French brandy from his head, but the smell wafting from the coffee pot came remarkably close. Clean-faced, properly uniformed and wide awake, he tracked down his quartermaster and spent the rest of the afternoon wrestling with the question of provisions.

He'd beached the Dauntless at the top of spring tide, which from one perspective was a great piece of luck; she'd never have come close enough to shore otherwise. Viewed from a slightly different perspective, it was the worst of luck imaginable, because it would now be two weeks before the tide would be high enough to float her out again. Norrington had, in fact, left Port Royal with enough provisions to last two weeks, though the trip to Georgetown should've taken less than half that time. He'd thought himself sufficiently over-prepared. But the storm had wrought merry havoc with his calculations. Most of the bread was now a salty, soggy mess, and three of the water barrels had been contaminated. The remaining stores would last, with a bit of judicious rationing, but Norrington thought that if Jack Sparrow had had the sense God gave a flea, he would've offered up some fresh water instead of stolen cognac. Not that Norrington could've accepted it in any case...

"Commodore! Sir!" Gillette came running up the beach, followed closely by Ledingham's manservant. Thompson? Tomlinson? Townsend, that was the name. Both men looked highly agitated, which, in Townsend's case at least, was unusual enough to warrant worrying about. "The Duke is gone!"

"Gone?" Norrington rose abruptly from the vegetable crate he'd been using as a chair. "Gone where?"

"I don't know, Sir." Townsend was visibly struggling to maintain a suitably imperturbable manner and not doing a very good job of it. "His Grace retreated to his tent approximately two hours ago, saying that he wished to take a nap before dinner. Five minutes ago, I ventured to look inside the tent to make sure he was still resting comfortably. The tent was empty, and the blankets appeared undisturbed."

"No one has seen him since he turned in," Gillette said. "With your permission, Sir, I will organize a search party and—"

"Don't bother," Norrington sighed, "I have a good idea where he is."

"You do? How do—" Gillette sputtered into silence, eyes going wide as realization dawned. "Oh, surely he wouldn't..."

"Of course he would," Norrington said. "He's been dying to talk with Sparrow ever since we sighted the Pearl yesterday."

"Since long before that, Sir," Townsend put in unhappily. "It's my fault. I should've known he might attempt something of the sort."

"We all should've known," Norrington said. "Which is beside the point now. I suppose I'd better go fetch him." He only hoped it would be that simple. He was fairly certain—more certain than reason strictly warranted, perhaps—that Sparrow had no wish to harm Ledingham. But he had no idea how much effective authority Sparrow held over his crew.

"Shall I pass the word for the marines?" Gillette asked, and looked predictably outraged when Norrington shook his head. "Sir, you can't possibly mean to go alone! There's not a single man in that camp who wouldn't slit your throat with a smile."

"And should they decide to try it," Norrington said, "a handful of marines won't be enough to stop them. But it will be enough to look like both an insult and a threat if I bring them along. I believe I'll actually be safer on my own."

"Let me accompany you, then. Better yet, let me go in your stead."

Norrington's imagination conjured up a vivid picture of Gillette facing off against a mocking Sparrow, a recalcitrant Ledingham and several dozen unfriendly pirates. He didn't quite manage to suppress a shudder.

"You will remain in charge here, Lieutenant. I will go."

"If you'll allow it, Sir," Townsend said, "I think I should go with you. His Grace is my responsibility, after all. And I've sometimes been able to persuade him to listen to common sense when he was being... difficult." He choked the last word out, visibly pained at having to say something critical of his master. Norrington, thinking of some of the captains he'd served under and some of the admirals he was still serving under, felt a twinge of sympathy.

"Very well, Mr. Townsend. See, Lieutenant, I will not be going alone."

Gillette did not seem reassured.

Norrington did not feel particularly assured himself as he and Townsend approached the pirates' camp half an hour later. The sun was setting behind the ridge that hid the western side of the island from view, and the shadows were lengthening across the beach. Norrington saw the campfires and smelled their smoke sometime before he could make out the individual men moving around them. Occasionally, a burst of distant laughter or a snatch of song drifted in on the breeze. He hoped it indicated a peaceable mood among Sparrow's men. It didn't sound as if they were slaughtering a duke, but that might've just meant they were finished...

Someone whistled sharply ahead of them, and a man-shaped shadow dropped from a palm tree and took off toward the camp at a crouching run. One of Sparrow's lookouts, presumably, reporting their approach to the others. Which was just as well—Norrington had no wish for his arrival to be a surprise—but it did serve as a reminder that he was about to walk into a large gathering of armed criminals, with a visibly terrified manservant as his only ally. The arguments against taking an armed escort, so eminently reasonable when he was making them to Gillette, began to sound rather weak in retrospect.

"Are you sure you'd not rather turn back, Mr. Townsend? This falls, I think, outside the limits of even the most devoted servant's duties."

"Thank you, Sir." Townsend gulped. "But having come this far, I think I'll continue on."

"I hope His Grace appreciates it," Norrington said and marched on, ignoring the barely audible "I rather doubt it, Sir" behind his back.

The scene that greeted them when they reached the campsite was not, overall, that different from the one they'd left. There were men tending pots over the fire and men engaged in cleaning and mending, and men just lounging around drinking rum. And if the latter contingent was somewhat more numerous and more visible than any respectable navy ship would tolerate—well, that was only to be expected, wasn't it?

Sparrow was easy enough to locate. Even in a crowd of pirates, his gold-speckled flamboyance drew the eye immediately. He was seated cross-legged on a blanket, a bottle of rum in one hand and and half an orange in the other, laughing at... well, something. One of his own jokes, most likely. And seated next to him, looking all too pleased with himself and not in the least bit murdered, was Ledingham.

"Commodore!" Sparrow attempted to get up, failed to untangle his legs, and came back down on his arse with a thud. "What a pleasant surprise! Have a seat, make yourself at home. Rum?"

"No." Norrington was in no mood for banter. He spared only the briefest of glares for Sparrow before addressing Ledingham. "I'm glad to see you safe, Your Grace. Mr. Townsend and I were much concerned by your disappearance."

"I didn't disappear!" Ledingham huffed. "I'm right here." He poked himself in the chest with one finger and coughed. Clearly, he'd been sharing the bottle with Sparrow. "Don't see why you navy lads are always so set on everyone reporting their comings and goings. I'm not one of your Jack Tars, you know."

Sparrow's smirk was a hanging offense in and off itself. Norrington refused to acknowledge it, just as he refused to acknowledge the fact that he'd just been called a lad by a tipsy eighteen-year-old.

"I was merely concerned for your safety, Your Grace. It's not safe for anyone to go off alone."

"Don't see why not," Sparrow said cheerfully. "'S'not a very big island, after all. No wolves amongst the palm trees, no sirens in the coves. No one around but my crew and yours. Why, I'll bet Reggie here—he said I could call him Reggie, you know—is safer walking on this beach then he'd be on the streets of London."

"I'm sure that's true." Norrington didn't hold a high opinion of Ledingham's ability to walk the streets of London without a nurse to hold his hand. "But he needs to come back to our end of the beach now."

"For dinner," Townsend put in helpfully.

"But we can have dinner here!" Sparrow tapped the rum bottle against the blanket next to his hip. "Plenty of vittles for everyone. And Reggie doesn't want to go yet, do you, Reggie?"

"Certainly not." Ledingham grabbed the rum bottle from Sparrow's hand and took a long gulp. Behind Norrington, Townsend chocked back a small, horrified sound. "I like it here. Jack's a dashed good sort. Doesn't tell me what to do." He swayed a bit and slumped against Sparrow, his head resting on the pirate's shoulder. "I'm a peer of the realm, you know," he said plaintively. "People shouldn't tell me what to do."

"That's right." Sparrow patted Ledingham's arm consolingly before taking the bottle back. "You heard the man, Commodore. Why don't you sit down and join us? We won't keep you long."

"I'll do no such thing." The entire conversation was ridiculous. It was time to haul Ledingham back, whether he wished to go or not, and make his excuses later. Norrington took a step forward.

Immediately, there was a rustle of movement all around him. Not hostile movement, precisely; no one reached for a weapon. Yet a number of pirates who'd been sitting a safe distance away were suddenly a great deal closer, and men who'd been lounging, apparently half-asleep, in the sand were suddenly upright and alert.

"Down, boys." Sparrow, damn him, continued to look thoroughly amused by the situation. Whatever happened to all that gratitude he was supposed to be feeling, anyway? "We're all friends here. Aren't we, Commodore?"

Norrington stepped back, slowly. "I presume we're still under truce," he said.

"But of course." Sparrow tilted his head to one side and regarded Norrington with wide, innocent eyes. A beaded dreadlock drooped across his forehead, the gold coin at the tip winking in the light from a nearby fire. "Wouldn't be inviting you to dinner otherwise, would I?"

"And if I decline the invitation?"

Sparrow shrugged. "Your choice, mate. Come and go as you like. But you wouldn't interfere with another man if he chose to stay, would you? That'd be unmannerly."

"That's right." Leddingham nodded vigorously and hiccupped again. "Unmannerly."

Norrington glanced from side to side. Assorted pirates stared back at him, some with hostility, some with amusement, some with an appraising watchfulness. They would let him walk away with Townsend, he thought, but not with Ledingham. Not until Sparrow said so. And Sparrow, apparently, was determined to have his fun.

Damn it all to hell. He couldn't leave without Ledingham.

"Mr. Townsend."

"Commodore?"

"Will you please return to the Dauntless and tell Lieutenant Gillette that I've found His Grace safe and sound? I'll be bringing him back in..." Norrington hesitated, locked eyes wth Sparrow, considered what he might get away with. "Two hours."

"Three," Sparrow said.

"Two hours," Norrington repeated firmly. "Do you hear that, Mr. Townsend?"

"Yes, Sir." Townsend was clearly relieved at being offered his chance to escape. "I'll inform the Lieutenant."

"You do that." Sparrow took a bite of his orange, slurping noisily at the pulp, and wriggled sideways to make more room on the blanket. "Sit down, Commodore."

Norrington sat down.

"Excellent!" Ledingham clapped his hands. "Jack here was just about to tell me how he sacked Nassau Port without firing a shot. Now you can hear, too."

"My life is complete," Norrington muttered.

Sparrow took another swig from his bottle and cleared his throat. "Now, you see," he began, "I happened to hear from—well, never you mind who I heard it from, but it was a reliable source—that the new governor in Nassau was particularly fond of chocolate. Now, as it happened, I'd just done some business in Brazil earlier that month, and as a result..."

Someone thrust a mugful of rum into Norrington's hands. He took a small sip, rested the mug on his knee, and settled down to listen to Sparrow's tale, which turned out to involve not only your usual run-of-the mill piracy, but also smuggling, card-sharping, and egregious bribery of a high government official. He had to give Sparrow credit: the man was a born storyteller. He should've been on the stage, with that perfectly-timed delivery and those wild, oddly graceful gestures. With the firelight glinting off the rings on his hands and the trinkets in his hair, the very air around him seemed to shimmer when he moved. Ledingham was completely entranced by the display, sitting there slack-jawed, eyes fixed on Sparrow's face. Every so often, Sparrow would hand him the bottle and he would drink automatically, his attention never wavering. Each time he did this, Sparrow cast a darting glance in Norrington's direction, as if challenging him to object to this debauching of the nobility. Norrington nursed his own drink and kept his silence.

An elderly pirate with an evil-looking parrot perched on his shoulder brought bowls of fish stew and slices of bread. There were vegetables in the stew and the bread was only slightly stale, indicating that Sparrow had taken on fresh provisions shortly before the storm. Which was interesting, given the Pearl's instantly recognizable appearance and the fact that they were nowhere near Tortuga. Norrington briefly distracted himself with an attempt to calculate which port Sparrow might've been coming from, but a burst of drunken giggling from Ledingham recaptured his attention.

"Thish ish brilliant!" Ledingham swayed alarmingly from side to side. His wig was askew and his cravat was undone. "Besht shtory I ever heard... Nobody tells a tale like my friend Jack... we're friends, aren't we, Jack?"

"Oh, yes." Sparrow patted him on the back. "Best pals."

The pat proved too much for Ledingham's precarious balance. He gave one last, glorious hiccup and toppled face first onto the blanket. Sparrow gazed at his prone form for a few moments, then rolled him over onto his back. Ledingham began to snore.

"Well," said Norrington, "I'd say you've lost your audience, Captain Sparrow. I'll be taking him back now."

"It hasn't been two hours yet," Sparrow pointed out.

"True. But it will be by the time I haul His Grace back to the Dauntless, and we wouldn't want Lieutenant Gillete to get anxious, would we? He might... overreact if I'm late."

"Fair point." Sparrow nodded judiciously. "Do you need help carrying him?"

"No." Norrington held out his hand. "But I do need his valuables back."

Sparrow blinked. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Norrington kept his hand out and waited. After a while, Sparrow rolled his eyes, heaved a dramatic sigh, and slapped Ledingham's diamond cravat pin into Norrington's cupped palm.

"There. Satisfied?"

"The rest of them, please."

There was, inevitably, more waiting and more sighing before Sparrow handed over a gold pocket-watch, an emerald seal ring and a jingling purse.

"You," he said petulantly, "are less fun than anyone I've ever met."

"I'm honored by the distinction." Norrington crouched, hauled the still-snoring Ledingham across his shoulders, and rose to his feet with a grunt. Sparrow observed his exertions with an amused smirk.

"Sure you don't want a hand, Commodore? I could spare a couple of strong backs and weak minds."

"I can handle it," Norrington said. Bentworth and Gillette would both lecture him to death about overexerting himself two days after a head injury (and how fragile did they think his skull was, anyway?), but he was absolutely, positively not going two encourage any more fraternization between the two camps. "Good night, Captain Sparrow." He adjusted Ledingham's weight to a more comfortable angle and staggered off into the night, ignoring the cheery "sleep tight, Commodore!" behind him.

 



Chapter 5

Anamaria was feeling better, which meant she was becoming a nuisance again.

"Why are we still here, Jack?" she demanded the moment he stepped into the tent. "We should've sailed with the last tide."

"The doctor said not to move you for a few days." Jack shrugged. "Who am I to argue with a real doctor, university degree and all? We'll stay till you feel better."

"I'll feel better when I don't have the bloody navy camped down the beach from me."

"The navy's leaving us alone."

"No, they ain't!" Anamaria pushed herself up on one elbow and jabbed a finger against Jack's chest. "And you ain't leaving them alone, either. I heard you had the Hangman over for dinner last night. What the hell were you thinking, Jack?"

"I was thinking," he said crossly, "that I'm sick and tired of everyone calling him the Hangman and quaking in their boots. Honestly, you'd think the man was eight feet tall and breathed fire. I say it did the lads good to see him sitting on the ground picking fish bones out of his stew just like any other fellow. Maybe you should've been there yourself."

"Why?" Her eyes got that squinty dangerous look again. "You saying I'm afraid of some powdered navy fop?"

"Certainly not!" Jack hastily scooted out of hair-pulling range. "I just think you'd have enjoyed it, that's all. Really. The look on Norrington's face when he realized he'd have to stay—you would've had a laugh."

The squint got even narrower. "That's why you really did it, isn't it? You thought it was funny. Jack—"

"Well, it was funny," he said defensively. "Hilarious, even. And instructive. I should invite him over again, just so you could thank him properly."

He escaped just as her fingers started twitching toward his throat.

Outside, Gibbs sat with his back against a crate, mending a torn shirt-seam. He looked up with a frown as Jack staggered out of the tent.

"One of these days, Jack, she'll kill you just to shut you up."

"What makes you think I'll shut up when I'm dead?" Jack asked. Gibbs didn't return his smile.

"You're acting dafter than usual these days. Baiting Anamaria, inviting the Hang—"

"Don't you start," Jack growled. "You served under him in the navy, didn't you?"

"Aye. What of it?"

"So?" Jack sat down in the sand next to Gibbs. "Did he call down lighting from the sky? Juggle red-hot cannon balls with his bare hands?"

"Don't play the fool, Jack."

"No, truly. I'm curious." And he was, now that he thought of it. Why hadn't it occurred to him before, the fact that one of his crew had served under the infamous Commodore Norrington? "Did he eat babies for breakfast? Keelhaul a midshipman every Sunday just for practice? Bugger the goats?"

"You know perfectly well he didn't."

"What's he like, then?"

Gibbs took a long time placing his next stitch. "A navy ship's not like a pirate ship, Jack. I served under the man, don't mean I know him. Decent enough sort for an officer, I reckon. A bit spit-and-polish for my liking. Always had us running around, mopping this and scrubbing that."

"Was he a flogging captain?"

"He wasn't captain then, just first lieutenant under Captain Crane. But at a guess, I'd say he wouldn't be. You learn to recognize the type, and Norrington wasn't it. Why're you asking, anyhow?"

"No particular reason." Jack shrugged. "Just... know your enemy and all that."

"Hmph." Gibbs scowled and scratched at one whiskered cheek. "For an enemy, he spent an awful lot of time eating your food last night."

"You're going to tell me now it's bad luck to feed an enemy, right?"

"I'm going to tell you that the man might not be a flogging captain, but he sure as hell is a hanging commodore. You'd do well to keep that in mind."

"I do keep it mind. I'm the man he tried to hang, remember?"

"Just so long as you remember," Gibbs said gruffly and returned to his mending.

Gibbs was a good man, Jack reflected, but he lacked imagination. Norrington's frustrated desire to hang him was precisely what made the current situation so amusing. A small revenge, as it were. It wasn't that Jack held a grudge, exactly; so many people had tried to hang him over the years, he'd burst at the seams trying to hate them all. If anything, he was inclined to appreciate the conspicuous lack of gunfire as he swam for the Pearl that day. But he could still take his share of enjoyment from watching the man be discomfited. Especially when Norrington had shown up looking the way he'd looked the day before, all shiny and buttoned up, coat neatly mended, wig, hat and poker up the arse all in place. Really, some people were just begging to be discomfited.

"Jack." Gibbs was glowering at him now. "What are you up to?"

"Nothing!" Really, couldn't a man sit still on a beach for five minutes without people thinking he was up to something?

"You've got that look on your face."

"What look?"

"The one that says you're up to something. What are you thinking?"

"I'm thinking," Jack said with perfect honesty, "that it's fun to discomfit the commodore."

"Aye." Gibbs sounded tired. "So what'll you be doing next, then? Pulling his pigtails?"

What the devil was that supposed to mean? "Commodore Norrington doesn't have pigtails, Gibbs."

"Right." Gibbs tugged much too hard at the thread in his hand, bunching his seam into a wrinkled mess. "Go away, Jack, I'm busy."

"No respect for the captain in this crew," Jack grumbled as he walked away. "I bet Commodore bloody Norrington never has this problem."





The yardarm that had so nearly done in Anamaria had been duly replaced. The storm-damaged rigging had been mended. There was nothing to stop the Pearl from sailing on the next morning's tide, as every single person Jack spoke to during the course of the day made sure to point out.

"Don't know why you're all in such a hurry," he told Marty. "We've got food, we've got water, we've got no one trying to kill us for a change. You should be enjoying yourselves. Singing, dancing, drinks all around."

"I'm all for singing, dancing and drinking," Marty said. "I'd just rather do it in Tortuga."

"No imagination," Jack said, "any of you."

By late afternoon, all the endless repetitions of "We'll be sailing with the tide, then, Jack?" had exhausted his patience. Jack snatched a fresh bottle of rum and set off along the beach in search of some peace and quiet.

Despite what everyone around him seemed to think, he did not believe in tempting fate just for the hell of it. Which is why, half-way to the navy camp, he turned inland. The island was divided lengthwise by a narrow, rocky ridge, too low to qualify as a proper hill, yet high enough to discourage most people from wanting to go up it in the muggy Caribbean heat. Jack was fairly certain that if he climbed over the top and to the other side, he'd be unbothered by company for the rest of the evening.

He was mistaken.

Norrington sat slumped against a boulder just below the top of the ridge on the far side. He was bareheaded and in his shirtsleeves, his coat lying neatly folded on the ground with his sword on top of it. From the looks of things, he'd been there a while.

Jack paused to ponder the situation. He hadn't made any effort to move silently during his climb; in fact, he'd made a bit of a racket. But Norrington hadn't moved, or given any sign of noticing that he wasn't alone. Maybe Jack could leave... assuming he wanted to leave, which—

"Gillette." Norrington spoke without turning around. "If you don't go away immediately, I swear to God I'm going to have you flogged."

"And here I thought you weren't a flogging captain," Jack said.

Norrington leaped about ten feet into the air and came down on his feet, sword in hand, facing Jack. "Sparrow."

"Good reflexes." Jack made a mental note to cheat if it ever came to a swordfight with the man. "But can you please put that away before somebody loses an eye?"

Norrington relaxed his stance, but did not lower the sword. "What are you doing here?"

"Looking for a quiet spot to sit and drink." Jack waved the bottle at him. "Same as you, I expect."

"Actually, I was looking for a quiet spot to sit and not drink. So please go somewhere else."

"Why?"

"Because any place with both of us in it is highly unlikely to be quiet."

"I can be quiet." Jack sat down on the ground, crossed his legs, rested his hands on his knees, and gazed placidly at the setting sun. He held the pose for about ten breaths before turning and tilting his head back to grin up at Norrington's outraged face. "See? Not a sound."

Oh, yes. It was great fun to discomfit the commodore. And much too easy, too.

For a moment, Norrington looked as if he might actually use that sword. Then he bent down, retrieved the scabbard from the ground and sheathed the blade. He picked up his coat, too, shook it out, draped it over one shoulder.

"Very well, then. You stay here and be quiet. I'll go somewhere else."

Down the slope ahead of them there was nothing but rocks, too sharp and crumbly for safe climbing or comfortable sitting. Back on the other side was the beach with their respective camps. Jack stayed where he was and made no comment. Norrington took a step downhill, stopped, turned, and marched back uphill. At the top, he stopped again, looked from side to side, muttered something unintelligible under his breath and sat down.

"Small island," Jack said.

"Indeed." Norrington sighed and rubbed the back of his head with one hand. His hair was cut short to fit under the wig and slightly damp with sweat. Rubbing made it stick up in little tousled spikes all over. He looked like a well-bred and very exasperated hedgehog. "And strange as it may seem, you are, at the moment, marginally less irritating than anyone else I might run into. Do try to keep it that way."

"I have rum," Jack offered. "And there's not a soul around to cry bribery."

"True enough... all right then."

Norrington held out his hand, and Jack slid over and slapped the bottle into it. For a while, the two of them sat side by side, taking turns drinking. Eventually Jack followed Norrington's example and removed his coat and sword belt, placing them out of the way but still within easy reach.

"So," he said, "what drove you out here?"

Norrington scowled. "I could ask you the same question."

"True. But I asked first. And it's my rum."

"Well, let's see." Norrington held one hand up in front of his face and ticked the list off on his fingers. "My ship is neaped, my crew is on three-quarter rations, there's a shipful of pirates anchored up the beach from me, the Duke of Ledingham is nursing a hangover in my camp, my first lieutenant wants me to eat my vegetables and take a nap, and Jack bloody Sparrow shows up when I want to be alone."

"You really wanted that brandy, didn't you?" Jack said sympathetically.

Norrington closed his eyes for a moment. "Desperately."

He had damned fine eyelashes, Jack noted. And the eyes that went with them weren't half bad either. A bit of kohl would do wonders for them. Really, now that he thought of it, taking a face like that and sticking it between a white wig and a starched cravat day in and day out was a crime worse than piracy.

Jack gulped an extra big mouthful of rum and sidled a little closer to Norrington. Now, if he turned just the right way when he handed over the bottle, their shoulders would bump just a little. Norrington gave him an insultingly suspicious glance, but didn't move away.

The bottle traveled back and forth a few more times. Jack took off his hat and Norrington loosened his cravat. On the beach below, the campfires glowed brighter as daylight faded. Navy campfires, those; the pirate camp was hidden from view by the curve of the ridge. It was still just light enough that Jack could make out the shadow-shapes of the men going about their business, and the big, ungainly bulk of the Dauntless slumped against the shore. She looked all wrong there, graceless and stranded, like some wounded sea monster washed ashore. And Norrington couldn't seem to go five seconds without glancing her way.

"You love them, don't you?" Jack said. "That great big ship of yours and the sea she sails on."

"You're a romantic, Sparrow."

"True enough, but that's completely beside the point. The point being, you're one of us."

Norrington's back went instantly ramrod-straight again.

"I most certainly am not!"

"How do you know? You haven't even asked what I mean by 'us'."

"Pirates? Drunkards? Madmen? People with utterly ridiculous hair?"

"My hair ain't ridiculous!"

"It's got bangles in it, Sparrow."

Coming from a man who wore that hideous wig on a daily basis, that was pretty rich. Jack refused to be sidetracked by insults, however.

"You're changing the subject, mate. I still say you're one of us. Men with the sea in their blood."

Norrington let out a short, slightly strangled laugh that sounded as if it took him by surprise. "My blood comes from a long line of thoroughly landlocked country squires, most of whom lived their entire lives without ever seeing the sea. I never saw it myself until I was ten."

"Really?" Jack leaned forward, curious. "And how did it feel, then, that first time you saw it?"

"I do not recall," Norrington said in an entirely unconvincing tone. Jack didn't even bother to hide his smirk.

"Don't matter who your ancestors were, mate. You don't inherit the sea. Well, I suppose some might, but most of the time it's just something that happens to you, all random-like. It's happened to you, and now you're one of us. Which raises the question of why you ever went and joined the bloody navy."

For the first time since this whole odd conversation began, Norrington turned and squarely faced him.

"You do realize," he said, "that this question makes no sense whatsover?"

"Makes perfect sense to me."

"Asking a man with—as you so ludicrously put it—the sea in his blood why he joined the navy?"

"Ah, but the navy's not for them that love the sea." The bottle was more than half-empty now, with Jack having drunk the bulk of it. He was feeling mellow, and inclined to wax philosophical. "Can't choose your ship. Can't choose where you go. Taking orders from landlubberly old men back in England who've never even been to the Caribbean. Bowing and scraping to that skinny young fool of a lad just 'cause he's a duke—"

"I do not bow and scrape."

"Putting up with that Lieutenant Gillette of yours—"

"Gillette is a good man."

"He's an insufferable prig!"

"Well, yes." Norrington plucked the bottle from Jack's grip, drank, and handed it back. "But if a pirate can be a good man, then I don't see why an insufferable prig can't qualify."

"Good point." Jack drank too, held the bottle up in front of his face, admired the way the moonlight—and when had the moon come out, anyways?—looked all soft and golden when viewed through the amber glass. He should've brought two bottles. Would've, if he'd known he was going to have to share. "Very well, then, we'll strike Gillette off the tally. The rest of it still stands, though. All the drilling and saluting and going where you're told, and "Aye-aye, sir" and "no, sir" and the Articles of War read out on Sundays—don't you ever get tired of it?"

"Don't you ever get tired of being an outlaw, having to sneak where honest men go openly, knowing you'll be hanged if you're caught?"

"Naw, it don't bother me none."

"Why not?"

"Because." Jack shrugged. "That's not what's important."

"Precisely."

"Ah." Jack mulled it over for a bit, with another gulp of rum to help the thought processes along. "So what's important, then?"

"Will you believe me if I say duty and honor?"

"Oh, those. Fine things, to be sure." For other people, anyhow. "Don't reckon they keep you warm at night, though."

"Does the gold you steal from honest men keep you warm at night, Sparrow?"

"Well," Jack smirked, "it pays for the rum."

Norrington shook his head. He was just a silhouette against the night sky now, his expression a mystery. From the side, his face made Jack think of the ancient coins he'd seen in the Mediterranean, the ones with the paper-thin edges and the worn Latin lettering.

"You need a laurel wreath," Jack blurted out.

There was a soft rustle of cloth against sand as Norrington shifted in his seat. "I beg your pardon?"

"Nothing." It was Jack's turn to shake his head now. "I was just pondering duty and honor, that's all."

"And the unaccustomed strain has made you even madder than usual? I see."

"Don't insult the man who's holding the rum, mate."

"My apologies." Norrington sounded amused. "So have you reached any conclusion?"

"Conclusion?"

"In your pondering."

"Weeeell..." Jack tapped one finger against his chin. "Seems to me, duty and honor is why one does things for other people."

"So?"

"So, a man can't spend his life doing for other people. Gotta do for yourself sooner or later, right? It ain't natural otherwise. I mean, when was the last time you did something just because you thought it would make you happy?"

"I proposed to Elizabeth Swann," Norrington said dryly.

"Ah... well... yes." Perhaps that hadn't been the best direction to steer the conversation in. "I can see how that one didn't work out so well. But you could try again, you know."

"Proposing?"

"That, too. Not to the same person, obviously."

"Obviously."

"I meant, you could try doing something that would make you happy. Again."

"Believe it or not, Sparrow, I had already reached that conclusion without any prompting from you."

"Have you, now?" Jack scooted closer yet again. Now his shoulder pressed flush against Norrington's without any extra effort on his part at all. "Let's see you, then."

"Excuse me?"

"Let's see you do something that makes you happy."

"What, right here on this rock?"

"Right here on this rock."

"All right, then," Norrington said, and kissed him.

Jack barely managed to restrain what would've been a highly embarrassing yelp. It wasn't that he objected to being kissed—if anything, he was inclined to approve of it on general principles. It wasn't even that he was surprised, exactly. The conversation, after all, had been leading up to kissing for some time. It was just that he'd expected to have to do a great deal more leading than that. He'd thought he'd have to make the first move. Had, in fact, rather looked forward to making the first move and enjoying Norrington's inevitable outrage. Instead he suddenly had Norrington's hands in his hair and Norrington's tongue in his mouth and— whoa...

Norrington kissed the way he did most everything else: thoroughly, forcefully and like he really meant it. Jack found himself losing his balance under the weight of all that conviction, toppling backwards onto the ground. He might've put his hands back to catch himself, but his hands had somehow fastened themselves to Norrington's shirtfront and didn't seem to want to let go. So he toppled, and Norrington pinned him against the sand and kissed him until his toes curled inside his boots, before lifting his head to murmur, "Is this what you meant?" into Jack's ear.

"It's a start," Jack said. Then he tugged at Norrington's shirt to pull him close and kissed him back, because one couldn't let the navy take all the initiative, could one?

Trouble was, the navy was over six feet tall and built to match. Jack was starting to feel a bit squashed. He wriggled sideways a bit, trying to get an arm free. The movement pressed his thigh against the rather impressive bulge in Norrington's breeches, and the growly sound Norrington made at that nearly made Jack forget his purpose, along with the color of the sky and his own name. He refocused his thoughts with a heroic effort, unpinned his left arm, planted it on the ground and heaved, counting on the element of surprise to put him on top before Norrington realized what was happening.

He'd forgotten they were on a slope.

"Ow." Norrington rubbed his elbow as he sat up to lean against the boulder that had broken their tumble. "I suppose we could've chosen a more inconvenient spot to attempt this, but I'm damned if I know what it could be."

"Not the most opportune spot," Jack agreed. "But definitely the opportune moment. It might work better, though, if we were both standing up."

"Standing up?" Norrington's dubious expression was lost in the night, but Jack had no doubt that it was there. "That doesn't sound very practical."

"Oh, come on, mate, don't tell me you never done it up against the wall."

"I try not to make life any more logistically complicated than it already is."

"You're no fun at all."

"Besides, this is not a wall. This is a large rock. On a hill."

"It'll hold."

"If it doesn't, I shall have the most embarrassing death notice in the history of the Naval Chronicle."

"Well, what's life without a little embarrassment now and then?"

"Some day, I'd like to find out," Norrington sighed and climbed to his feet.

They kissed again. Norrington put his back against the boulder, and it held. Jack tugged at Norrington's shirt until it came free of his belt and slid his hands beneath it. Norrington's skin was warm, and grew slick with sweat as Jack stroked upward. He made that sound again when Jack rubbed his thumb over a hard nipple, so Jack kept rubbing, and after a while Norrington broke the kiss and threw his head back, gasping for breath. So Jack kissed his throat, then pulled his shirt open at the collar (a couple of buttons went flying, but Jack Sparrow was above worrying about such things) and traced the line of Norrington's collarbone with his tongue.

Norrington must've attempted to bathe in the sea at some point. His skin tasted of sea salt and smelled very faintly of soap. What an exercise in frustration that must've been. Jack chuckled to himself just imagining it.

"Something's amusing you, Sparrow?" Norrington was obviously trying for his usual oh-so-superior drawl, but the little hitch in his breath spoiled the effect.

"Mmm..." Jack chuckled again as he undid more buttons on Norrington's shirt. "Actually, I think this whole situation is hilarious. Don't you?"

Silence for a few seconds, then a soft, rueful laugh. "Now that you mention it, yes. But I prefer to appreciate the humor later. I find it spoils the mood."

"Oh, yes. You would."

"...What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means we need to stop talking," Jack said, and went back to exploring the fascinating new territory of Norrington's bare chest.

Norrington was breathing noisily and gripping Jack's hips with a grip that threatened to leave marks. Jack cupped one hand over the front of Norrington's breeches and found him fully hard, the cloth stretched so tight over his prick, Jack thought some more buttons might go flying at any moment. Jack's own prick was taking a similar high interest in the proceedings, and Jack was just about to suggest that something should be done about that when Norrington tugged at his belt. His hands were unsteady, but he undid the buckle quickly enough and moved on to work on the buttons of Jack's breeches.

Jack shuddered and clenched his hands in the folds of Norrington's shirt. The brush of Norrington's fingers against his prick—even accidental, even through layers of cloth—hit him like a rogue wave. He found himself rising up on his toes, leaning forward, trying desperately to rub himself against Norrington's hands. Bloody navy bastard, taking hours to get a single button undone... doing it on purpose, like as not...

"If you don't stop squirming," Norrington breathed into his ear, "I'll have to rip these off you."

"I don't care how you get them off," Jack muttered through clenched teeth, "just hurry up."

Finally! The last button came undone. Norrington grabbed a double handful of cloth and yanked down, and Jack rose up on his toes again and wriggled his arse, and then his breeches were down around his knees and Norrington's hand was wrapped around his prick and— oh, fuck...

He cried out, but the sound was muffled when Norrington kissed him again, cupping his left hand against the back of Jack's neck, rubbing his thumb in slow circles against the soft skin below Jack's ear. And all the while, his right hand was doing things to Jack's prick that positively had to be forbidden by an Article of War somewhere. His palm was warm and sword-callused and his fingers and were long and the lace cuff of his sleeve kept brushing ticklishly against Jack's balls. Jack rocked his hips and ground his clenched hands against Norrington's chest and groaned into the kiss until it got to be too much and he had to pull his head back and gulp for air.

"Yes," Norrington hissed. Jack wondered vaguely what he was affirming and decided that, whatever it was, he agreed. Then Norrington pumped Jack's prick faster, and flicked his thumb just a little too hard over the head, and Jack said, "Yes," too and spent himself with a shudder all over Norrington's hand.

It took a few seconds for Jack's heart to stop racing and his breathing to steady. Slowly, he again became aware of the ground beneath his feet, of the breeze against his face, of Norrington's chest rising and falling rapidly beneath his hands. It occurred to him, somewhat belatedly, that he should be returning the favor, and he reached for the fastening of Norrington's breeches.

"About time," Norrington muttered under his breath.

"If you wanted to go first," Jack told him, "you should've bloody well said so."

Norrington shrugged and wiped his hand on his shirttail. He was smirking. Jack couldn't actually see the smirk, but he was sure it was there. Smirky bastard. Needed a lesson. Something to wipe that invisible smug look off his face.

"Your turn," Jack said and dropped to his knees.

Norrington started to say something, but cut off abruptly when Jack licked along the entire length of his prick, balls to slit. Jack grinned to himself, licked a few more times, then sucked the head into his mouth.

He didn't do this often, but then again he didn't do high-ranking navy officers very often, either. And Norrington was clean and very well-mannered about not thrusting too roughly into another man's mouth, which ranked him above most men in Jack's experience. The good manners came at a cost, though, if the ragged breathing and the iron grip on Jack's shoulders were any indication. Jack wondered how long that self-restraint would hold. He himself could afford to be patient now, having taken the edge off, so perhaps this was an opportune moment to experiment. And he did experiment, with lips and teeth and tongue, paying close attention to the muffled sounds above him and the shifting tension of skin and muscle beneath his hands. Sometimes he sucked, and sometimes he licked, and sometimes he abandoned Norrington's prick altogether and devoted his attention to other fascinating spots, like the navel or the back of a knee or the surprisingly sensitive skin at the crease between hip and thigh.

"God," Norrington said, and then something soft and unintelligible, and then, in an entirely different voice, "Jack..."

So that was what it took to stop him saying "Sparrow" in that ever-so-smug tone. Jack laughed softly. This seemed to have an interesting effect on the prick in his mouth, because the sound Norrington made in response was suspiciously like a whimper.

"Mmmm?" Jack said, meaning, "do you like that?" And Norrington whimpered once more and dug his fingers hard into Jack's shoulders, which presumably meant "yes, do that again." So Jack gave another throaty laugh, then slid his mouth as far down as it would go and sucked until his cheeks hollowed and his eyes crossed. Norrington gasped and shifted one hand from Jack's shoulder to the back of his head, clenching it tight on a fistful of hair. The slow, steady sway of his hips became fast and ragged. Then he shuddered once, all over, and Jack swallowed as fast as he could, because experience had taught him that some things worked better if one didn't have time to think about them first.

Neither man had anything to say for a while after. Norrington slumped against the boulder and breathed. Jack sat back on his heels, wiped his mouth on his sleeve and smirked into the dark. Whether or not Norrington knew the smirk was there, he gave no sign of it. Eventually, kneeling bare-arsed in the sand got tiresome, so Jack stood to pull up his breeches. Norrington had his buttoned already and was retrieving his coat from the ground.

"You were right," he told Jack. "It does work better standing up."

"Toldya."

"Though I must say, that boulder is a great deal pointier than it looks. I believe I have a hole somewhere in my lower back now."

"Next time," Jack promised, "we'll find a proper wall."

 



Chapter 6

"Commodore? Sir? I'm sorry to disturb you, but—"

"Gillette." Norrington reluctantly opened one eye to regard his lieutenant's worry-pinched face, lit from below by the lantern Gillette was clutching. "Is the ship on fire?"

Gillette looked taken aback. "No, sir."

"Are the Spanish attacking?"

"No, sir."

"The French?"

"No, sir."

"Then go away."

"But sir!" Gillette looked as if he was about to burst into tears. "The Duke has gone missing."

"Again?" Norrington sat up. "Oh, very well. I'll go over and fetch him."

"That's the trouble, sir. The Pearl is gone as well."

"What?" All traces of sleep fled in an instant. Norrington disentangled himself from his blanket and rose to his feet, automatically stooping to avoid jostling the top of the tent. Gillette was stooping, too, while simultaneously trying to stand at attention and hold up the lantern to light Norrington's way. At any other time, it would've been comical. "When did they sail?"

"With the midnight tide, sir. A little over three hours ago."

Norrington blasphemed under his breath as he staggered over to his sea chest to search for a clean shirt, or at least a shirt that had all its buttons still attached. Though it was the least of his worries at the moment, he was sharply aware that he was still wearing the same clothes he'd returned to camp in after his... his tryst with Sparrow earlier. Less than six hours earlier. Damn it.

He found a shirt, put it on, snatched up his coat and swordbelt and preceded Gillette out of the tent. Townsend was waiting outside, along with the midshipman of the watch and the two hapless marines Norrington had put in charge of keeping an eye on Ledingham. Everyone looked terrified, as well they might. Norrington hoped that, in the dim lanternlight, his disheveled state made him look fierce and intimidating rather than sleepy and recently-debauched.

"All right, then," he said, "tell me what happened."

Apparently, Ledingham's hangover had not been as severe as he'd made it out to be. He'd spent the day in his tent, refusing all nourishment and whimpering pathetically at anyone who came near him. Eventually, they'd left him alone. Sometime after two bells on First Watch, Townsend had gone into his master's tent, observed a curled-up lump under the blanket, and quietly gone to bed himself. A few hours later he'd awakened, observed the lump in the exact same position, taken a closer look, and discovered a pile of artistically arranged bedclothes impersonating a peer of the realm.

"Why," Norrington demanded of no one in particular, "do idiots always have to be so bloody clever?"

Gillette looked as if he was about to try and answer that, then changed his mind and kept his mouth shut.

Norrington walked down to the waterline and looked out at the sea. Nothing to see there, of course. In daylight, depending on the direction she'd gone, he might've still been able to make out the Pearl's silhouette against the sky. At night, there was no way he'd ever spot those black sails after a three-hour start, not even with a spyglass.

"Send out a search party," he told Gillette. "If Ledingham is still on the island, he shouldn't be hard to find."

"Aye-aye, sir." Gillette saluted speedily enough, but hesitated a moment before walking away. "Do you think he could still be on the island, sir?"

"No," Norrington sighed. "I know as well as you do that the damned fool has gone and stowed away on the Pearl. But we still have to look."

Gillette saluted again and trotted off, snapping orders at men he passed along the way. Norrington stayed where he was and tried to wrap his mind around the full scope of the disaster.

For disaster it was, no question of that. Norrington had intended—had already composed a number of lengthy and carefully worded reports for the purpose—to justify his truce with Sparrow on the grounds that it had been necessary to keep Ledingham safe. Now Ledingham was in the hands of pirates as a result of that very same truce, and there was not enough careful wording in the world to justify that one to the Admiralty. The best he could hope for was to avoid taking Gillette and the rest of the officers into disgrace with him.

Norrington paced the beach along the waterline and tried to consider, with some degree of objectivity, how Sparrow might be handling the situation on his end. It was not a very productive mental exercise. Trying to follow Jack Sparrow's thought processes was like trying to catch water in a sieve at the best of times, and now Norrington's efforts were hampered by the vivid and apparently unbanishable sense memory of Sparrow's mouth on his cock.

He bent down, splashed some seawater on his face, forced himself to concentrate. Sparrow would not harm Ledingham, he was reasonably certain of that. But the young fool was worth several fortunes in ransom—would Sparrow seize that opportunity? Would he judge it too risky and drop Ledingham off at the nearest port? Or would he keep him around as some sort of joke? Sparrow's idea of humor made no more sense than anything else about him—he had chuckled at the most amazingly inappropriate moments the night before. He might very well think it funny to keep a duke on board as some sort of mascot. Not as crew, surely. Even Sparrow couldn't be insane enough to allow Ledingham anywhere near the sails or rigging of his precious Black Pearl.

Not that it mattered. The Dauntless wasn't going anywhere until the next spring tide. Whatever Sparrow decided to do about his aristocratic stowaway, Norrington was in no position to play a part in it.

Disaster or not, the day's work still had to go on as usual. Norrinton returned to his tent, choked down some breakfast, and distracted himself for a while by juggling the duty roster to allow for the absence of the men in Gillette's search party. He inventoried the provisions again (still sufficient by a narrow margin), inspected the ship (still neaped), then gave up postponing the inevitable and sat down to write his report to the Admiralty.

The search party returned mid-way through the Forenoon watch with the depressing but unsurprising news that Ledingham was not to be found anywhere on the island. Norrington stared gloomily at his half-written report and wondered if the East India Company was hiring.

Maybe he could go live in one of the French colonies. It wouldn't be so bad. He spoke the language. There would be brandy.

"Sail ho!" came the shout from outside. Norrington grabbed his spyglass and ran out of the tent just in time to see one of the senior midshipmen clamber down from the tree where he'd been keeping lookout.

"West by south, sir," the man said, pointing to indicate the direction.

It was the wrong angle to get a clear view from land, even with a glass. Norrington bid a fond farewell to the last shreds of his dignity and climbed the tree himself.

The approaching ship was hull-down, only her topsails visible over the horizon. But it was easy enough to tell, against the crystal blue sky, that the sails were black.

Norrington ruthlessly squashed the hope that attempted to break through the thick layer of pessimism he'd been building up all morning. He had not, at any point since being awakened by Gillette, allowed himself to contemplate the possibility of Sparrow attempting yet another honorable gesture. He would not contemplate it now. He would simply wait and see.

It was a long wait. The wind was easterly, and Sparrow, apparently, considered oars to be beneath him. The Black Pearl tacked with admirable precision, almost as smartly as a well-run navy ship, but it still took her most of the rest of the day to round the south tip of the island. Norrington climbed to the highest point on the ridge with his spyglass and his sextant and occupied his time with noting the length of each leg the Pearl made and her angle to the wind. He tried not to think about what he might ever use the information for.

Sparrow did not bring his ship back to her earlier anchorage. Instead he took up a position about half a mile off-shore, and laid her sails aback. A few minutes later, a small rowboat was lowered over the side, where it caught the current and was swiftly carried away from the ship. Norrington took off toward the beach at a run, shouting for Gillette to get a longboat ready.

The current was strong. By the time they caught up to the rowboat, the Pearl was out of reach again, even if they'd had a ship to try and reach her with. The rowboat appeared unoccupied from a distance, but it sat too low in the water to be entirely empty. It was also rocking rather more vigorously than the gentle motion of the waves accounted for. Norrington decided to he could afford to allow just a little bit of space for hope to flourish in.

A look into the bottom of the rowboat revealed a squirming, sqealing bundle of sailcloth loosely held together with rope. Norrington cut the rope with his pocket knife and pulled the cloth aside to reveal the furious, grimy face of the Duke of Ledingham.

"Commodore! Oh, thank God!" Ledingham wriggled his arms free and clutched at Norrington's coat like a drowning man clutching at a lifeline. "You have saved me from the most horrible of fates!"

"Honoured to be of service, Your Grace," Norrington wasn't sure if he should be feeling concerned or amused. Ledingham was wearing ill-fitting canvas breeches and shirt, the sort that the commonest of common tars might wear. He was dirty and disheveled and developing what promised to be an impressive sunburn on his face and hands, but aside from that he did not appear hurt. "Are you injured?"

"They took all my things!" Ledingham's voice rose to an indignant wail. "They made me scrub the deck! And pump the bilges. And... and polish things. It was the most humiliating experience of my life!"

"Outrageous." Norrington endeavoured to look horrified and sympathetic as he helped the duke to his feet and into the longboat. "Lieutenant Gillette, please get some rope to tow this boat with. No sense letting it go to waste."

"They served the most disgusting food." Ledingham shuddered. "The biscuits had bugs in them. And that horrid man Sparrow laughed at me!"

"Imagine that," Norrington said.

"And I look a fright!" Ledingham pinched a corner of his shirt between his fingers and shook it, as if expecting something horrible to fall out of the folds. "Thank God no one who counts is going to find out about this. I'd never live it down."

Norrington looked at Gillette. Gillette looked at Norrington. A silent but meaningful discussion took place in the space of a few seconds.

"I'm afraid," Norrington said, "that word is likely to get out once I submit my report to the Admiralty."

"Oh, yes." Gillette nodded earnestly, "You know how all those clerks gossip."

"The Admiralty?" Ledingham's eyes widened in dismay. "But you can't! I have friends in the Admiralty! I'll never be able to show my face at any of my clubs again."

Norrington spread his hands. "I'm afraid it can't be helped, Your Grace. I'm obliged to make an accurate report—it's my duty."

"But surely that's only true of... military matters?" Ledingham cast desperate glances from Norrington to Gillette and back again. "Not the personal affairs of your passengers. No, Commodore, I insist—I—I demand that you keep this matter private."

"You put me in a very difficult position, Your Grace," Norrington looked sideways at Gillette, who promptly picked up his cue.

"Surely, His Grace has suffered enough, sir. There's no point in us adding to the embarrassment."

"Well..." said Norrington.

"And Sparrow must've known how damaging the incident could be. I'd wager that was the purpose behind this whole atrocity. We mustn't give him the satisfaction."

"Well," Norrington said again. He thought "atrocity" was overdoing it a little, but Ledingham clearly agreed with the sentiment. "It would be highly irregular, of course, but perhaps we could make an exception just this once.

Ledingham was still thanking him when they climbed ashore ten minutes later.

Townsend ran up, nearly hysterical with relief, to claim his wayward master. Norrington handed him over, muttering all the appropriate reassurances. He supposed he should be feeling guilty about what he was doing, but the guilt failed to materialize. Maybe Sparrow had been a bad influence oh him.

"Thank you, Lieutenant," he told Gillette as soon as Ledingham was out of earshot. "That was an admirable performance."

Gillette regarded him blandly. "I'm sure I have no idea what you mean, sir."

Norrington was about to head back to his tent when a glint of light in the bottom of the rowboat caught his eye. He waited for Gillette to walk away before bending down for a closer look. A faceted silver bead, about the size of his thumbnail, had rolled under under the seat in the stern. Norrington picked it up. One of the facets had a chip of jade embedded in it. He remembered seeing that bead gleaming on the end of a dreadlock Remembered it—or one of its mates, perhaps—tapping rhythmically against his thigh as as a warm tongue caressed his cock.

Oh, yes. Definitely a bad influence.

Norrington closed his hand around the bead. Told himself not to be a sentimental fool. Tucked the bead into his coat pocket and walked away from the boat.

For the rest of the day, he found himself chuckling at the most amazingly inappropriate moments.

The end.


"Now a strange lull comes for a few seconds, not a shot fired on either side"—Walt Whitman




  Leave a Comment
Read Comments


Disclaimer: All characters from the Pirates of the Caribbean universe are the property of Disney et al, and the actors who portrayed them. Neither the authors and artists hosted on this website nor the maintainers profit from the content of this site.
All content is copyrighted by its creator.