Home
 

Bound by the Law


by Tiggothy


Characters: Norrington, Jack
Rating: PG / PG-13 if you're easily upset ;-)
Disclaimer: Pirates of the Caribbean is owned by Disney, etc. No infringement intended.
Originally Posted: 4/15/05
Reason: Reason's got nothing to do with it ;-) I was thinking more about the whole "Norrington, with the dagger, in the library" thing from the other day, and ended up with this. Which only vaguely touches on the whole dagger / library business
Note: Feedback, concrit will be rewarded with virtual rum (unlike its RL counterpart, the bottle never empties and there's no age restriction). Oh, and I've been wanting to use the phrase "a fit of absence of mind" ever since I read it in Niall Ferguson's excellent book Empire.
Warning: Kind of a dark start, and I stopped before the Sparrington gremlins got hold of the tale.
Summary: Commodore Norrington finds himself with a noose around his neck, condemned by the very law that he had once sought to uphold.



It had been a momentary madness, a fit of absence of mind—yet it condemned him. It had been over a month ago, yet the town still reeled in shock from the news. They'd turned out today, solemn faces staring up at him; wondering at their world turned upside down.

Even now the scene replayed itself in his mind, like one of those flick-books he remembered being all the rage a few months back. Over and over, the same scene repeated itself: from the first image to the last, never deviating. It had happened, and he couldn't change that. He accepted that, as he had accepted everything in his life: with an impassive expression and a stiff upper lip. Only one who looked into the jade depths of his eyes could know his pain and regret.

His sojourn in the gaol had changed his appearance. His already lean frame now tended towards gaunt; his cheeks slightly hollowed and his muscles more prominent. A lesser man in such circumstances would have allowed himself to waste away, but James Norrington, erstwhile Commodore of Port Royal, had pushed himself as hard he could even in captivity; exercising as often and as much as he could in the cell. To have sat idle would have been to admit defeat and to risk the chance of becoming consumed by the nightmare which his life had become. Though he had known the moment the knife left his hand what would become of him, a part of him had refused to give up hope. Not hope of a reprieve: that, he felt, would be cheating, and a gentleman never cheated. This whole sorry situation had come about through an accusation of cheating. What he hoped for was a chance to make amends; a chance to put some good back in the world; a chance to live long enough to see his child born and to clear his name that the child would not grow up the son of a murderer.


***



"Father, this is wrong." Elizabeth Turner pleaded with her father, the governor, even as she leant on her husband's arm for support.

"Commodore Norrington is bound by the law, as are we all," came the implacable reply. Governor Swann refused to meet his daughter's eyes: they had argued long and hard about the wisdom of her attending today's execution, until Will had intervened with a few quiet words in support of his wife. Not even a father may argue with the word of a husband, no matter how unwise he feels the decision to be. The governor also studiously avoided the gaze of the two naval officers stood on his other side; his refusal to cease using the title of Commodore in referring to James Norrington provoked their ire, but they would be returning to Charles Town once this was over, and he cared more for the memory of the good man he saw before him on the scaffold than for the opinions of those visitors.

Admiral Arkwright betrayed not a flicker of the annoyance roused by the governor's stubbornness. Both he and his companion, Captain Josephston, had admired Commodore Norrington, and felt regret at the position forced upon them by these circumstances. It was a regret of the kind which, over their years in the service of His Majesty, they had learned to harden their hearts against: yet even to such dutiful officers as these, the law seemed unduly harsh this time. Unflinching, barricading themselves against emotion, they watched the dreadful scene begin.


***



"James Norrington," the well-rounded vowels of the court scribe filled the silent square, falling to nothingness as all attention remained on the lonely figure beneath the noose, "be it known on this day that you stand here accused of the death of Mr Patrick Sterner. Be it known also that you have been found guilty, by your own admission and by the evidence of several witnesses, of this crime by the court of Port Royal which court acts with the full authority invested in it by the Crown. Be it known that as the law dictates, her representatives act; as the law demands, for the spilling of life whether in hot blood or in cold, except in defence of the defendants life, that the defendant's life shall be forfeit: thus you have been sentenced to be hanged by the neck until you are dead."

The scribe's parchment rolled shut with a snap; a bird high up on the battlements cried out; the crash of waves against the rocks far below could be heard dimly echoing up the stone wall.

The executioner placed the noose about the silent, barefoot, dark-haired man's neck; leaned forward to make sure it lay correctly about the man's throat and along his jawbone; whispered into his ear "When you get the chance to run, go upstairs not down."

The condemned man had no time to react for the trapdoor opened, the rope snapped taut, and he fell. His feet hit the floor before he realised he had fallen further than he should have. There were gasps and cries from the crowd as his knees buckled from the shock of landing. His head snapped up as he righted himself, and his sharp eyes spotted the sword jammed under the platform. The sword which had been his constant companion for the past three years, which had been lovingly crafted by Mr William Turner, and which he now drew from its hiding place before bursting out into the bright sunlight.

Pattering footsteps scampered across the platform above him, and the executioner landed lightly beside him. "Follow me!" cried the familiar voice, and the black hood was torn from the man's head, revealing the grinning features of Captain Jack Sparrow.

Unquestioningly he did as bidden, darting through the crowd, heading for the stairway spiralling upwards to the fort's battlements. An older fellow, with greying side whiskers and the look of a man in need to a draught of spirits, detached himself from the crowd as it closed behind the escapees, and wordlessly followed his captain's lead.

On the raised platform provided that gentry might have unimpeded view of justice being served, there were mixed reactions. Mrs Turner crowed with delight, her husband smiled as if at a job well done as he found himself buried in her embrace; Admiral Arkwright and Captain Josephston tried to make their way from their elevated position, to rally the troops and cut off escape for the condemned and his accomplice, but found their way blocked by Governor Swann who earnestly enquired of their plans for recapturing the criminals. When it was politely explained to him that he was inhibiting their actions in carrying out this duty, his speech overflowed with florid apologies, yet when he finally stepped aside to let them pass, a secretively smug smile flittered across his face.


***



Norrington almost ran into the back of Sparrow when he suddenly halted at the head of the steps. Behind him, Gibbs cursed as he tripped on Norrington's heels and almost tumbled back down the stair. As suddenly as he had stopped, he sprinted forwards again, towards the low wall and the dark-skinned woman waiting there.

"We got two set up, like you asked for, Captain. Boat's below."

"Good," Jack flashed her a smile, "you and Norrington first." She made to protest, but he spoke over her, "No arguments, Ana, they'll not be long after us."

Nodding grudgingly, she sat on the wall, legs dangling over the ocean below, then grasped a rope which had until this moment evaded Norrington's notice and slipped out of sight.

"You next," the pirate ordered him, indicating a second rope. He leapt to obey, shoving the precious sword through the rope belt he'd been issued along with the ill-fitting breeches and ragged shirt when they'd taken away his uniform.

His hands felt raw long before he reached the bottom of the cliff. It seemed it had been too long since he'd strained against the pull of hemp. The movement of the other rope stilled as the woman, Ana, reached the end before he did, then began to shake once more with the weight of Joshamee Gibbs' descent. He turned back to pay closer attention to his own task as the rope slipped through his hands once more, stripping skin from his palms.

Strong, feminine hands grasped his waist and he knew he'd completed the clamber down the rock face. Gratefully, he followed her directions, stepping backwards into the boat bobbing amongst the treacherous rocks at the foot of the cliff. Gibbs landed not long after, shortly followed by the rope he'd climbed down. Norrington's eyebrows shot up at this, wondering how wise he'd been to trust such a method of escape. Sitting beside him in the small rowing craft, Ana caught his look and grinned.

"It didn't fall, mate. The Captain cut it next to where he is," she pointed to where the figure of the pirate captain could be seen against the grey rock, small at this distance, but rapidly approaching.

"Stops your old friends following us so easy," Gibbs supplied, taking a swig from the flask in his belt. Norrington nodded, wondering for the first time why these people had taken it upon themselves to rescue him.

"He's nearly here," Ana squinted into the glaring light, following her captain's progress, "unship the oars. Norrington," she paused as she saw the state of the man's hands, "you'd better steer. Take us out round the headland, the Pearl's in the next bay to the west. I'll go forrad, if Gibb's'll row beside Jack."

They found their positions as Jack neared the end of his climb. Ana instructed Norrington to sacrifice his shirt to bandage his hands, then smiled at the whiteness of his skin as he stripped. After wrapping his hands, Norrington had just enough time to tear one more narrow strip from the shirt before the craft rocked with Jack's landing.

"Waste of a good rope, leaving it dangling there," the pirate muttered as he found his seat and called the stroke, trusting Norrington to steer them safely out to clear water before debating with his two crew members the disposition of labour.

Norrington leaned back in the stern as they argued and rowed. He felt instantly calmer, back in his element as the boat skidded out around the headland. When he judged it safe and themselves temporarily out of range of the fort, he hooked one leg over the tiller and scooped back the hair dangling over his face, tying it with the narrow strip of linen he'd saved form the shirt.

"Keep yer mind on the job!" roared Jack, "I don't want to end up on the rocks after all the trouble we've been through for you!"

Hastily James resumed a more alert posture, before frowning slightly and asked the question which niggled at his mind with every passing yard.

"Why'd you do this, Jack?"

"That's Captain to you, Mr Norrington," reprimanded the pirate, "and I don't believe I need divulge my reasons for wanting ye alive."

Norrington smiled in reply, and Jack scowled. "Shut yer trap, or I'll have ye switch places with me no matter how much ye managed to hurt yer pretty fingers on the way down the rope."


***



"Am I correct in thinking that was the Commodore's presentation sword I saw him escaping with?" Governor Swann enquired of his son-in-law as they travelled by carriage to the governor's mansion for lunch.

"I do believe it was," the younger man lifted an eyebrow as he replied. His father-in-law nodded thoughtfully as his wife looked from one to the other of them.

"I wonder how he came by it?"

"I have no idea, sir. I put it away safely last night, after Commander Gillette returned it to the forge."

At this reply, the two men smiled quietly at each other, and the governor nodded approvingly before tactfully changing the subject.


***



"Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through just to get one more crewmember," commented Norrington as he waited in the boat with Jack. Gibbs and Ana had climbed aboard the Black Pearl ahead of their captain so that the two men might have a few words in private.

"If you want to remain part of m'crew you'd best stop questioning me motives." Norrington's eyes dropped to contemplate the bottom boards of the boat as the truth of this statement hit him.

The Captain took pity on his newest recruit, softening his tone as he added, "If I were you though, I'd get rid of that ugly necklace before meeting the rest of yer crewmates."

Norrington's head shot back up in confusion. Jack reached out and lifted the hempen circlet from his shoulders, and Norrington stared at it in surprise. In the shock at being free and the concentration on their flight, he'd forgotten to rid himself of the noose. He smiled his thanks, before being growled at to get aboard.


  Leave a Comment


Disclaimer: All characters from the Pirates of the Caribbean universe are the property of Disney et al, and the actors who portrayed them. Neither the authors and artists hosted on this website nor the maintainers profit from the content of this site.
All content is copyrighted by its creator.