Home
 

A Sobering Thought


by Like A Hurricane


Pairing: J/N
Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: I have no claim on POTC or the lovely characters who populate it, even if it seems that James Norrington has, somewhat disconcertingly, made himself quite at home in my head with no apparent plans to leave. Jack Sparrow has been dropping by at random for years, as well, which surely doesn't help matters.
Originally Posted: 3/6/10
Beta: The right honorable Porridgebird
Note: Not so morbid as it sounds. Also, I must say that it's astounding what odd little thoughts can run through one's head at a funeral. This thought appeared the day after I went to one, as I reflected over the thoughts that had been going through my head whilst attending a funeral, finding myself surrounded by family to whom I am a stranger for reasons of in-family politics. Also, I'm pretty sure that I nicked a line from Mark Twain in here somewhere. Five points if you find it.
Summary: Death tends to shift one's perspective. "The commodore's dead, apparently."



"What news, Mr. Gibbs?" Jack drawled into his now-empty pint, only half paying attention to the man.

"The commodore's dead, apparently," Gibbs said, as he sat down at Jack's table in their preferred Tortuga tavern.

Jack's head swiveled about. "Wot?"

"The commodore. You remember: lad from Port Royal who almost stretched yer neck the twice, and nearly caught us half a dozen times in these waters. Norrington."

"Aye. And he..."

"He's dead. Killed about a month ago."

Jack tried to work out why on earth the words made his stomach plummet. "Oh," he said, rather flatly. Then, with some difficulty, he inquired, "How?"

"A naval battle with the French, I believe. They found his ship limpin' home with her mainmast fallen. He saved the ship, and the fight, but not 'imself. Sounds like Norrington to me, from what I remember of him." Gibbs quaffed his own rum, but still looked all too sober.

Jack ran a hand over his hair, his fingers finding a brass button he'd stolen from the commodore on his last visit to Port Royal. He'd liked being chased by the man, he realized, and often wondered if Ja—if the commodore had ever liked the chasing as much in his turn. It was a game they played, whenever they crossed paths.

No one, navy or otherwise, had ever come so close to catching Captain Jack Sparrow and his ship (without mutiny) as Commodore James Norrington, but once or twice, Jack thought he had sensed something off about it; Norrington would get too close, and then make a single careless mistake, minimal and not usually Norrington's fault directly, so much as the fault of one or a dozen of Norrington's men, but still...

Jack had wondered, more than once, if the good commodore had let him go intentionally, and if he had, was it for the sake of his continued friendship with the young Turners, or something more selfish?

Now, it seemed, the game was over, and Jack would never know. While he wasn't even looking, something strange and pretty and valuable had been cut away; James Norrington had been snuffed out.

"You all right, Jack?" Gibbs, who had noted in an ill-at-ease manner how much glee Jack had always seemed to take in running from the commodore, wasn't wholly surprised by his captain's solemn quiet immediately after hearing the news; he was, however, a little disturbed to see that Jack hadn't so much as reached for another drop of rum, which surely boded ill.

"I'm right as rain, mate. What reason have I not to be? The commodore's caused us plenty of trouble in the past." He pulled himself to his feet, silently telling himself, No reason, no reason at all, in tones that were, even in his own head, less than convincing. "Thanks for the news, Gibbs. I'm headed back to the Pearl." Pulling on his coat, he wove his way through the crowd, and hardly noticed when the density of it first thinned, then ebbed away, as he approached the docks.

"No reason," he muttered. "None at all. Never bothered to..." he stopped himself, swore profusely, and paused in the middle of the dock, feeling a damned fool as he rubbed his eyes with the forefinger and thumb of one hand, smearing his kohl carelessly as the corners of his eyes stung. "Damned. Bloody. Fool." He swallowed tightly, straightened his coat-lapels, and started walking again, his pace clipped and his hand-motions agitated.

He fairly leapt aboard the Pearl—his love, his safe harbor, his freedom, his life—and retreated immediately to his cabin. The few men on watch were slightly puzzled by his haste and his visibly seething anger, but thought little of it. Jack Sparrow was mad, after all, and they had long since ceased trying to make sense of his every change of mood.

Jack did not look at his surroundings as he slammed the door shut behind him.

After lighting a couple of candles with unsteady fingers, standing with his back toward his bed, facing the opposite wall, Jack planted his hands flat, palms-down, on the small, sturdy table that he'd long since had bolted to the middle of the floor in his cabin. The smooth, only slightly scuffed surface was comfortingly familiar and solid, and he leaned his weight on it heavily, because his legs seemed to be having trouble with it. "Damn," Jack bit out, his voice sounding strangely hoarse even to his own ears.

He faced a few things with bitter regret, which was almost more painful than the actual (inexplicable, he tried to tell himself) grief that he felt.

One: truth be told, he had little or no reason to visit the Turner whelps back in Port Royal; he'd sent them a fine enough wedding gift of plunder from the Isla de Muerta, which was more than good enough. Two: this made his almost-regular visits to their house every three or four months rather suspect. Three: truth be told, Jack had looked forward to the visits with far less anticipation than he had the sneaking in and sneaking out, especially the latter, wherein the commodore appeared. Four: James had a distinct habit of giving chase himself instead of calling the militia, apparently without giving it much thought despite how thoughtful the man tended to be in general. Five: on the few occasions that the commodore had surprised Jack—instead of the usual set of events wherein Jack could control matters better and prevent unwanted publicity for the chase as well as the whole of the militia following him instead of one little commodore weaving after him through Port Royal's side-streets and alleys—the man had never fully seized the advantage of his position, but had instead let the game continue, as though he wanted the satisfaction of the capture to be his alone. Six: on at least three occasions, one at sea, and two on land, James had appeared, quite clearly, to let Jack go when the opportunity to capture and/or kill him had been within reach. Seven: the Christmas incident.

Jack swore again.






The Christmas incident had been rather a mishap, in many ways. Jack's intent had been to drop off a few things in the upper stories of the governor's house, during the governor's impressive pre-Christmas ball, for a few of the governor's favorite guests (daughter, son-in-law, and commodore) when he had been interrupted.

Jack heard two sets of footsteps approaching from down the hall at a clipped pace. He promptly leapt into a nearby wardrobe and shut himself in.

"James, I really think that—"

"Theodore." The commodore's voice, sounding weary and a little irritated. They were very near the door now. "You are distraught. You are not thinking clearly."

Jack felt a prickle of panic in the back of his throat, but also a faint thrill.

Then the door opened, and there was the sound almost like a tussle, and it closed sharply, loudly. Jack peered out of the narrow gap between the wardrobe's two doors and realized that this was because the commodore had been bodily pinned against the door by one of his lieutenants, who was pursuing an aggressive kiss. Jack felt all the blood in his brain rush south at the oh-so-pretty sight of it.

The kiss lasted for several long moments: the commodore's initial stillness easing, then fading entirely as he began to return the kiss first with matching ferocity, and then domineering aggression. The young lieutenant made a noise in his throat, seemingly knocked back on his heels by the commodore's attentions, and was utterly pliant when James seized his hips and turned them about to pin him up against the wall beside the door—at least, until the commodore broke away, breathing hard and looking flushed, but with no apparent intent to continue.

"Take what time you need to sort out your appearance, and then leave, Theodore," James said very quietly, his voice low and almost gentle, but with a hard edge of sternness and hint of brittle anger. He began to pull away.

The lieutenant seized hold of his coat-lapels, stopping him. "James—"

"Please." James touched the lieutenant's face gently.

Theodore Groves did not let him go. "You want this as much as I do. It wasn't so many years since we were younger men and... I haven't forgotten, let us say. We were apart for those few when they transferred me, b—"

"During which you know what happened. I'm sorry," James said softly.

"She's downstairs with another man," Theodore countered, but his voice was low and increasingly resigned. "I had thought we might have..." He clutched more tightly at the lapels of James' coat for a moment. "One more chance, James. One more."

James' eyes fell shut for a moment. Then he shook his head slowly. "I cannot. It would be more than unfair to you."

There then ensued a long silence, after which Theodore whispered a question that Jack strained to hear, and still remained unsure that he had heard correctly. It sounded like: "Is it to do with the pirate?"

James shook his head. "Theo..."

"James. You light up like nothing else when the chase is on and the game is afoot with him. I've seen it. I know you of old, and I've not seen its like before."

"You suggest that I pursue the impossible," the commodore said. "I am rather more practical than that. Do not think me so easily ensnared."

"Hearts are not practical. Otherwise, I think that the both of us might be rather happier, with the objects of our desires within reach and as desirous of us as we are of them," Theodore murmured, his tone heavy with bitterness.

"You cannot forget him with me," James said.

Theodore covered his face with one hand. "God damn you, James, how did you—"

"I know you, just as you know me: a little too well."

Theodore sighed heavily. "I'm sorry. We were... we were happy, before."

"We were also quite young and foolish, back then. We have both become older, more dissatisfied men. We are also far more aware of exactly what it is that we want, impossible or otherwise. You have a better chance at success in your venture. I cannot even pursue mine." James pulled away at last, his point made, and Theodore let him go this time. The commodore straightened his now-rumpled clothes.

"You pursue plenty."

James snorted. "You know what I mean."

"Yes, I suppose so. I'm surprised that the tables have not been turned on you. He seemed the sort to—"

"He is not suicidal. And neither am I. Desire is indeed irrational, but I am no slave to it. As with Miss Swann, I will soon be able to let this one go, just as well."

"You love better and more deeply than any other man I have known, James," Theo sighed. "I should have recalled that better and not been so crass as to... I am so sorry for this. It was—"

"I understand, Theo." James rubbed his eyes with the forefinger and thumb of one hand. "I saw what he did, and overheard what he said. You would do well to avoid spiking his punch in the future."

"Yes. Yes I do think so. It was not a good idea."

"Goodnight, Theo," James said simply.

The slightly younger man straightened his clothing and opened the door, then paused. "There is a difference, you know, between your previous situation and your current one. In the former, you were able to let go because you were told 'no' by her. In the current matter... well, you haven't asked."

"Nor will I."

"Then how will you let go?"

James looked at the floor for a moment, then said in rather icy, insistent tones, "Goodnight, Theo."

"I'm right, am I not?"

A hesitation, then James whispered, "Yes."

"Goodnight, James." Theo quietly shut the door.

The commodore leaned heavily against the wall and cursed at great length in a mixture of English and Gaelic that surprised Jack considerably. Then the man doffed hat and wig, dropping them hastily on top of a nearby dresser, and ran both hands through his short hair, which he had apparently been growing out from a shorter cut; it was just long enough to hang over his eyes when he messed it up.

James Norrington looked disheveled, frustrated, determined and wholly himself; the entirety of his usual mask tossed aside for a brief moment.

And in that moment, Jack had the inexplicable desire to leave his hiding place, walk up, and touch the commodore's hair. It looked a bit sweaty, but soft, and James looked so very weary and hurt and determined to overcome both, but the commodore was still just a man, and he looked all too aware of his mortal, human limitations. He looked beautiful and almost fragile, as he had on that long-ago day atop the fort when Elizabeth had stood at Will's side.

Then James took a deep breath through his nose and then abruptly stilled, his brow furrowed for a moment in confusion as he thought he caught a familiar—too familiar, and also very much out of place—scent: that of rum and cinnamon and unwashed sailor. He sniffed the air again, more deliberately, and dropped his hands to his sides: one on his sword, the other reaching for the half-melted candle on his dresser, left by the governor's staff in case any guest should need to retrieve something from their rooms before the party ended.

His expression had sharpened considerably, all trace of vulnerability lost as his keen gaze scanned the room and looked for something, anything out of place... yes. The present Jack had left on his desk: a bottle of very fine rum, stolen from a ship James had tried to interrupt the pillaging of just a month ago. Slowly, the commodore approached it, and picked it up, examining it closely. All of a sudden, the man's mask fell away again, and he laughed softly, running a hand through his hair again. "Irrepressible rogue," he muttered, without actual scorn, and set the bottle down, shaking his head. His fingers lingered on the bottle for a long moment, until the clock in the hallway chimed the hour, and the commodore cursed, recalling that he should make his way back to the party downstairs.

In a rush, he smoothed his hair back, making it lie as flat as possible again. He passed closer by the wardrobe on his way to the door again and seemed to hesitate, sniffing the air once more. He was close enough, and well-lit enough since he carried the candle, that Jack could see his expression; however, the pirate could not quite interpret it: he thought he saw a flicker of predatory coldness, but also hunger, confusion, and something a little more open and fragile again. Then the commodore shook his head with a self-depreciating grin. "Impossible," he muttered. "Damn you, Theo."

Then he set the candle back down in its original place, donned wig and hat once more, and made his exit, leaving Jack alone in the wardrobe with an erection and a baffled feeling of mixed awe and unease.







"I misheard," Jack assured himself aloud. Mentally, he added, It's naught more than that. Just meant Norrington had his eye on someone 'unsuitable.' That's all. He sat down heavily in the wooden chair at his table, and rubbed the highly-smeared kohl from his hands and his eyes with a kerchief from his pocket: it was one he tried to keep mostly-clean for just such an occasion.

He then rubbed his eyes hard to try and rid them of the stinging, prickling feeling at the corners. "Bugger. Buggerbuggerbugger." Given his abilities to fool damned near anyone most of the time, Jack was forever frustrated with his inability to fool himself on the occasions he might want to. "I had a chance," he whispered, scarcely audible even to himself. "I could've..."

A memory of that lieutenant's words whispered: You love better and more deeply than any other man I have known, James...

Jack folded his arms and rested his head on them, feeling a complete fool, too angry at himself and the French for a moment to think of very much else.

He was right there: treasure for the taking, if I'd just said the right word, if I'd bothered to stop running long enough to turn the tables on him for a change and... Jack had to stop there. It hurt. He seethed with frustration and anger and hurt for nearly a full minute, in complete silence.

Then...

"I must admit my curiosity. I've never seen you quiet for quite so long before. What on earth happened?" inquired a slightly ragged version of a certain, familiar baritone voice, dripping with sardonic condescension as always.

Jack's shoulders stiffened. Slowly, wary of both hallucinations and the undead, he lifted his head and turned it to look over his shoulder toward his own bed.

"Pardon the intrusion," James said simply, gesturing vaguely toward his own rather battered form sprawled out on Jack's bed. The bones in his face appeared too sharp, he wore no coat or hat or wig, and the rest of his clothing appeared stolen, but he still had that same Turner-made sword at his hip and his sea-green eyes were bright despite his obvious weariness. "We may have had our disagreements in the past, but I rather prefer you over the French, Captain Sparrow, and I may have heard that you might be headed toward Port Royal at some point soon—or perhaps I merely deduced as much on my own despite your efforts to remain hard-to-predict. I shall leave it up to you to decide. I was hoping to get there myself, you see, given that there are some people who are doubtlessly a tad distressed by my absence."

Jack remained very still, his eyes very wide. "How did you get here?"

"Ah, yes. Well. I was shot, you see. It was through the arm, but it must have looked much worse to the eyes of any witnesses, especially because I then fell overboard, and it was very near the end of the fight with this particular French vessel. I nearly drowned, and in the confusion, I was pulled up aboard the French ship by accident. Given that the sea had taken my coat, wig, and other signs of office, and that it was a dark and smoke-filled late evening battle, this was understandable. Of course, by then their ship was sinking, everyone was panicked, and with hardly a glance at me, they forced me to try and help with the lifeboats."

"A pirate ship had been waiting just out of sight for the loser to retreat, and swooped in to steal anything useful on hand. I claimed to be captain of what little crew was still on the ship, since the ship's original captain was dead anyway, and bartered myself passage to Tortuga; I was lucky, however, in that the pirate captain of that vessel did not speak French. He was a Scotsman, and a bit of Gaelic goes a long way with some of them. He even aided me in taking care of the wound." James rolled up one sleeve, showing off the half-healed marks on either side of his upper arm, near the shoulder. He then looked up at Jack. "From your look, I take it that you heard about the incident."

"I heard you were dead," Jack said slowly.

"A bit of an exaggeration, I'm afraid." James examined the pirate's face intently, his brow furrowing a little as he read traces of reactions that confused him a little: things like concern and hopefulness, for a start. "Are you well, Jack?"

The pirate nodded, not quite trusting himself to elaborate much further than that. "Are you?" he asked, his voice oddly soft.

James blinked in surprise. "Yes. For the most part."

"Why... why did you come here?"

James looked away briefly. His hair had grown out still longer since Christmas, and was pulled back in a sailor's queue, but numerous strands had managed to come loose; James pushed them out of his face, tucking them behind one ear as he collected his thoughts. "Tortuga was a far safer request than Port Royal, and the trip between the former and the latter is not overlong. I was also aware that you happened to be due for one of your not-quite-regular visits within the next month or so. My timing, it seems, has proven good, given that I only arrived here yesterday." A weary, bitter smile crossed his features for a moment. "Also, I supposed at one point that I might suggest it to you that you owe me one or two good turns, but that would require some explaining, now, wouldn't it? I suppose that I have not been thinking very clearly. Are you going to tell me that this plan of mine was a fool's errand? I have a few others, if that's the case."

His stare never wavering, Jack considered this. "No. It wasn't." He was afraid to move, for fear James might evaporate into mist, like any other mirage. "You're sure you're not dead?"

With a laugh borne of relief and exhaustion and bitterness and pleasure and everything else, James let his head fall back against the headboard of Jack's bed. "Yes, Captain Sparrow," he sighed, when he was done. "If I am absolutely sure of only one thing, it is that I am most certainly alive. I've worked very hard to remain so, in fact. Would you care to check somehow?"

"Actually, yes. I've had my run-ins with should-be-dead people before, as you'll recall, Commodore."

James, still smiling, nodded. "Of course. How, then, shall I prove that I am alive?"

Jack relaxed a fraction despite himself, as he thought it over. "Come here."

With only a slight roll of his eyes, James pulled himself to his feet and stepped up to stand in front of the pirate. "Yes?"

Jack nodded, looking him over in the slightly better light. "Yer arm. The wounded one. Let me have a look, ay?"

James once more rolled up his sleeve, this time proffering his arm to Jack. He did not move when the pirate's hands touched him, but he looked away abruptly, fixing his gaze on the floor beside Jack's chair as Jack's fingers brushed his skin.

James' skin was warm, and resting a thumb briefly over James' inner elbow reassured Jack that the good commodore had a pulse, which was a relief beyond words. For a moment, he felt overwhelmed, just to be able to touch the living man: solid, and not a hallucination, nor a ghost. Then he looked at the half-healed wound on James' arm, the flesh around it still discolored, but not infected. It had been just a flesh-wound. "How'd this knock you off your ship?"

"I was precariously balanced, my left hand holding me upright by gripping a bit of rigging," James explained. "I lost my grip."

"Ah," Jack said, and then looked intently at James' face for a moment.

James sensed the pirate's gaze; his jaw tensed slightly—the only hint at the toll taken by his efforts. James summoned all of his remaining reserve and turned his head to meet Jack's curious look with a perfectly even, unwavering stare of his own. "Satisfied?" he inquired in a cool, professional tone.

Jack tilted his head back slightly, lifting his chin. "I'm sure you're alive, at least," he mused. "But satisfied? Well..." He smiled in a slightly lecherous manner.

James blinked once, deliberately. His expression communicated an air of disbelief and disdain, silently saying, You cannot be serious. He straightened up to his full height and rolled his sleeve back down without a word.

"Every time I drop by Port Royal, you chase me back out, tryin' to catch me, presumably to hang me." He noted the way that James' lips thinned in response to that, and continued, "Well. Now here I've got you, and you want me to take you back to the place in which you've tried to hang me." He clicked his tongue. "Now, why should I do that?"

James sighed heavily, pinching the bridge of his nose between thumb and forefinger. "The same reason, I would guess, that instead of quietly making your way out of town, you tend to seek me out in order to have such a chase. I know you could have avoided me any number of those times, Sparrow."

"Captain," Jack corrected.

He received a glare in reply.

"You said, however, that I owe you a good turn, Commodore," Jack added. "Just as I've not avoided, you've avoided. You had the chance to catch me for good, more than once. I know you care for Elizabeth, but you must know she has not nearly so much care for me these days as she once did, now that she's got little whelps she thinks I might be endangering when I drop in, so I've got to wonder if there might be something else there."

James shook his head. "Mayhap. It hardly matters."

"Not much of a bargaining tool, then, if it hardly matters."

"Jack, would you just—" James started, then stopped, realizing his slip instantly.

Jack tilted his head. "Hmm?"

The commodore stubbornly pulled his armor back into place. Any more of this, and he might do something reprehensible. This had been a half-mad idea anyway, and was clearly too—too damned likely to hurt him when the pirate's flirting proved to be no more than manipulation, as James was sure that it would.

"If you will not take me to Port Royal, I will find another means of getting there," James said, his voice cold and acerbic. "A simple yes or no will suffice. I'll not be patronized, and if you will not take me to Port Royal, then I have business interests elsewhere, and my time would be better spent with them."

Jack sensed the commodore's tension, knew that the man was ready to walk out in an instant now, and realized that he could not string this along with games—could not try to lure a confession, accidental or otherwise, from James like this, by force of teasing—or he would surely lose the man. James was wary of being taken advantage of, and even more wary of getting hurt; he really would leave, thinking Jack had been trying to use him or abuse him or—

"Stay," Jack said quickly; the word fairly leaped from his lips before he could stop himself or think of a better way to say what it was that he wanted.

A hint of confusion cracked the edges of James' mask. "What?"

"Don't leave. I'm not—" Jack rested a hand over his eyes for a moment. "'M sorry."

James' confusion increased, his stern expression replaced by shock and bemusement. "I... you... what?"

Jack reached out, wrapped a hand around his wrist. "I'll take you to Port Royal. Keep yer interests here."

For a long moment, James weighed his options. Jack had offered to take him to Port Royal, now James need only decide whether this was, indeed, the safest choice. Jack was the preferable option for a number of reasons, a few of which were no little bit threatening to James' own self-restraint. On the one hand, perhaps this was an opportunity, but on the other, James had been restraining such desires for so long that such an idea seemed as though it would lead to catastrophe.

And yet... and still...

There was a hint of something strangely fragile and almost pleading in Jack's look that gave the commodore considerable pause, because years of experience watching Elizabeth manipulate her father with such looks had given James a good sense for telling when such silent pleas were sincere and when they were faked; he had seen traces of manipulation in Elizabeth's look when she had accepted his proposal, and had wanted to believe they were directed at convincing her father instead of himself. By comparison Jack's current expression was completely and inexplicably sincere.

With the distinct feeling that this was a bad idea, James nodded. "Good. Should we then go over the arrangements?"

Jack smirked a little. He had originally planned to head for Port Royal tomorrow, dock in one of his favorite hiding places, and then row in, as usual. Now, he required a more creative option, which he had only used a few times before, with time added for a bit of game. "You'll be aboard for over a week, as my guest, of course." His thumb traced up the inside of James' wrist. "Some of the crew might recognize you, but you're free to roam about. I'd just suggest you sleep here, to prevent your pretty throat being slit." Jack was impressed when James hardly blinked.

"I suppose that makes sense," James concurred, keeping himself unaffected with some difficulty. "How, exactly, will you explain my presence to the crew?"

"Simple enough." Jack pulled himself to his feet and grinned, leaning into James' personal space. "I'll claim I seduced you aboard for my own purposes."

James arched an eyebrow, unfazed. In fact, there was an odd sharpness to his look, as though he were beginning to pick up on Jack's game. There is more to this. He wants to lure me into—, his thoughts cut off there, unable to form the right words even as the concepts unfolded before his mind's eye. He felt a strange tightness in his chest. Clearing his throat slightly, the commodore said, "I see. And I would suppose that this meant to be illustrated via theatrics, for the sake of convincing them?" At Jack's slightly wide-eyed look, the commodore added, "Just an inspired guess."

Jack was a bit put off to have had his plans seen through quite so easily, but persisted, "Of course. It'd be necessary, wouldn't it, to persuade 'em you've no interest in killing us. Would you be averse to it? I'd understand: naval officer like you..."

Dry amusement colored James' look. "I think you know better than that. The rum was good, by the by. And did you discover my own gift to you? I never though to ask."

Thrown off, Jack tilted back a small fraction. "The blade you threw at my head, the next day, you mean?"

"You caught it. And kept it, I notice." James glanced at the dagger at Jack's belt. "It was one of Will's."

"I'd noticed," Jack said, a little confused. "You knew I was there. During the party."

"Not at the time, but I worked it out later. The inside of the guest wardrobe at the Governor's house does not usually carry traces of cinnamon, rum, and gunpowder scents," James explained. "Also, my uniform was conspicuously missing a button." He glanced pointedly at the button in question, which now resided in one of Jack's braids.

"I see. Very good." Jack tilted his head a little. "I've got a bit of a question, as I think I might've misheard something your little lieutenant said."

I've questions as well, about similar matter, James mused silently as he held the pirate's gaze, and I've only myself to ask them of. Of course, all the questions boiled down to one simple decision left to be made; it was an easier one to make than James had expected. His lips quirked into a smile. "Do these, incidentally, have something to do with sleeping arrangements?" His voice had an odd edge to it, as he shifted closer to Jack, tilting his head down a little.

"Aye," Jack breathed, beginning to have thoughts like If it's that fun to have him chasing me, imagine how fun the rest will be.

"Well. Here is your answer." Then James closed what little distance remained between them, caught the pirate's mouth with his own, kissing him in an exploratory, patient, and yet ardent manner, and Jack's thoughts fell blissfully silent as he returned it. James tasted like salt and red wine and gunpowder tea, and Jack could easily understand how Lieutenant Groves had been knocked back on his heels: the commodore could kiss and kiss well. Then again, Jack was no slouch either, which was how James wound up on the table.

The table, it turned out, did not provide nearly enough space. They moved to the bed, at which point Jack learned very quickly that a naval education had served James quite well indeed.


~~


Gibbs had shrieked in a quite embarrassing fashion when James made his appearance on deck. Then, before the quartermaster could say a word, James cut him off: "At ease, Mr. Gibbs. Let me assure you that the reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."

That was when the ominous muttering had started amongst the crew.

Jack decided against killing it, and instead chose to change its subject matter. He strolled up and draped his arm across the back of James' neck, hanging off him affectionately. "And a good thing, at that."

James smirked in a predatory, sex-languid manner, wrapping an arm around Jack's waist in return. "Yes; although your distress was quite a sight, I must say."

Jack kicked him in the shin casually.

James laughed.

"Don't do it again, or I'll kill you myself."

"I am hardly to blame for your misinformation, Jack," the commodore protested, smiling despite himself.

"You were the one who nearly died, and made such a dramatic exit that most people still think you're bloody dead."

"The look on your face was fantastic."

As they bantered, the crew slowly relaxed, as much out of confusion as relief that the infamous navy man seemed, for now, unlikely to harm them, especially with how he looked at their captain. More than a few of them wondered whether there had ever been any real danger at all.


~~


Jack was surprised at how easy it was, lying in bed with the commodore after half an hour or so of vigorous activity. It was pleasant, languid, and deliciously warm.

"The game's changed, I suppose," Jack mused. "What'll we do about it, then, with you back in your uniform again?"

"Keep playing, this time without holding back," James murmured.

Jack hummed. "I like the sound of that, love."

"And no more regrets."

"Aye. None. Take what you can—"

James chuckled softly, and kissed him quiet, then added, "Give nothing back."


  Leave a Comment


Disclaimer: All characters from the Pirates of the Caribbean universe are the property of Disney et al, and the actors who portrayed them. Neither the authors and artists hosted on this website nor the maintainers profit from the content of this site.
All content is copyrighted by its creator.