Due South

 

 

  Hanged Man by Speranza --  Ray K./Fraser, first time.  While at a mind-numbing conference, Ray and Fraser play a game of 'Hang Man' that sets the tone for this story. Bored and frustrated out of their skulls, they run away from the conference and check into a seedy motel room. The motel becomes their place to meet when they want to have sex and stop being 'Vecchio' and the Mountie, but simply just Ben and Ray who love each other. However, nothing is that simple for these two as you will see when you read this treasure.

Hard-hitting and gut-wrenchingly beautiful, this story has to be one of my favorites from Speranza. But it won't be the last story I rec from her. *g*

 

 Like A House On Fire  by Beth H. & Kellie Matthews -- Ray K./Fraser, first time.  Set after "Call of the Wild," this story has Ray and Fraser separated in the beginning, with Fraser in Canada and Ray back in Chicago. After their 'adventure' and despite the unresolved feelings between them, the two have parted and are trying to move on with their lives. It isn't working. So when Ray has to transfer a prisoner to the Great White North, afterwards he makes a surprise visit to see Fraser. All that unresolved sexual tension comes to a head and watch out!

This story is red hot and with not one, but two brilliant dS authors, you will not be disappointed.

 

  Starstruck  by Grey -- Ray K./Fraser, Ray K./OMC (briefly), first time.  Grey is a wonderful author in many fandoms, but I think she's hit her stride in Due South fandom. Her Ray and Fraser just sing to me.

One of my favorite themes in fiction is used here: jealousy. Ray and Fraser are assigned to guard a rock star whom Ray has secretly had a crush on for years. The rock star takes one look at Ray and wants him right back. But wait, Fraser isn't going to let his partner slip away so easily and sets about to woo Ray away from his rival.  An interesting take on Ray's character and what lengths Fraser will go to land his man.

 

  Chicago's Most Wanted  by Speranza -- Ray K./Fraser, first time.  My absolute favorite story in all of Due South fandom. A humorous and yet loving story that has so many great lines of dialogue, you will find yourself chuckling out loud everytime you read it.

The premise is that Fraser has been sent undercover to prison to gain the confidence of a local hood. While in the joint, Fraser gets into a fight and gets hit in the head and becomes an amnesiac. When the prison doctor explains that he is a convicted felon and lets Fraser read his own 'rap sheet,' the silly Mountie actually believes his own press. So, taking his prison roomie with him, Fraser escapes and turns to a life of crime! (Well, sort of, he becomes a modern day Robin Hood). While Fraser is on the run, Ray is frantic with worry and tracks his partner down only to find Fraser doesn't really remember the true nature of their relationship. It seems in the Mountie's scrambled noggin he thinks that Ray and he were lovers and that Ray sent him to jail because of his criminal ways! Fraser hates Ray for sending him to jail and yet cannot help but want him at the same time. On the other hand, Ray is practically tearing his hair out trying to convince Fraser that his memory is faulty that they aren't really lovers -- only after they have sex a couple of times. It is a screwball comedy and drama all rolled into one.

This is a uniquely original story and only Speranza could make it work.

 

  Stalker  by Rentgirl2 -- Ray K./Fraser, first time.  I guess I am biased about his particular author since we are friends. But even before I knew her personally, I loved her Sentinel fiction and wrote her reams of feedback to tell her so. It was distinctive, thought-provoking and rich with emotions. Her Due South fiction is just as lush.

This is an angsty piece of work, coming from Fraser's POV. Basically, the question here is: What defines a stalker? Premise: Ray doesn't know it but he has his own personal stalker and his name is Benton Fraser.

I love this story because Fraser's 'voice' is dead-on and his emotions are boiling over, ready to burst for the seemingly in-control Mountie. But, truly this is Ray's story in how he is able to truly understand Fraser and all his foibles.

For Rentgirl 2's first foray into Due South fiction, she nails Fraser and Ray perfectly, which is one of my prerequisites for a recommendation. When you are done with this story, read her others and e-mail her to write more!