Professionals

 

The Third Friday of October by Dana Austin Marsh  -- Doyle/Bodie, Doyle/OFC, first time. Dana has written so many terrific stories in other fandoms, but this one is my all-time favorite in The Professionals fandom. Based on the play, "Same Time, Next Year."

The story starts in 1981. Doyle has married and left CI5, but Bodie is still with CI5 and he has severed all ties with his former partner, never explaining why. When they run into each other again, Bodie explains why: he loved Doyle and couldn't be near him anymore and not reveal his feelings. Doyle is not mad, but instead tells Bodie he loves him too. They spend the weekend together loving each other.

After this weekend, they both have to return to their lives, but agree to meet every third Friday in October. Their meetings go on for nine years until in 1990 something suddenly changes.




Whatever Happened to Raymond Doyle?  by Anne Higgins -- Doyle/Bodie, Bodie/Alan Cade, first time. Crossover with The Chief

Because it shows that an A/U can work in this fandom and work beautifully when written by a talented author. In this story, Doyle is Doyle (sort of) and Bodie is Bodie. It's kind of a death story, but not. I don't want to give too much away because that would take away from the reader's enjoyment of the story.

But here's the basic plot. Bodie and Doyle were lovers while partners at CI-5. However towards the end of their partnership, Doyle is injured and has amnesia, and for all concerned he 'dies.'

In the years since Doyle's "death," Bodie has moved to Hong Kong, but 15 years later Cowley convinces him to come back to London to take over CI-5. Doyle who doesn't know he's Doyle, has been living as Alan Cade (a character Martin Shaw played in the BBC show, The Chief). The two men meet because of their jobs and become lovers again. However, Cade (Doyle) has no idea who he really is.

You'll have to read the story to find out if Ray/Alan figures out the puzzle and they live happily ever after. *g* But, I happen to think it's a very likable read for a lazy Sunday afternoon.

 

 

Arabian Nights  by Pam Rose -- Doyle/Bodie, first time, A/U, novel. 

Set in England and Arabia in 1892, this story tells the tale of Raymond Doyle who is kidnapped by Arab sheikh, Bodie and like a good Harlequin Romance novel, this story sucks you into the author's fantasy world and barely lets you escape at the end.

This story may have the two lads not working for CI-5, but they are completely in character. Wonderful secondary characters add to the tale and what you get is the ultimate Desert Prince kidnaps and woos his virgin captive scenario, where battle of wills occurs, the lovers part and are reunited -- eventually.

The dialogue is fresh and hot, plus the idea of Bodie as a sheikh...cold shower anyone? This is truly a classic novel in Pros fandom. (Plus, if you can ever get your hands on a copy of the novel in zine format, do. I have it and the art alone is worth the money I spent for it because of the Suzan Lovett illos, which can be found here).

 

 

The Joy of Camping  by Miriam Heddy -- Doyle/Bodie, first time. 

What is a rec list without some drunken cliché story? However, this drunken cliché story differs from others, as instead of waking up the morning after wondering, "What the hell did we do?" Bodie and Doyle get drunk, reveal their feelings, have hot monkey sex and the next morning do not regret it. Lovely, lovely story.

 

    Saints and Miracles  by Jack Rueben Darcy -- Doyle/Bodie, first time. 

Like a fine wine, a Jack Rueben Darcy story is to be savored. I first discovered this author in The Sentinel fandom and was sad when she stopped writing in that fandom. Her Jim/Blair characterizations were dead on! So, when I found Pros fandom last year, I was delighted that she had also written Bodie/Doyle fiction.

This story is a favorite of mine and no, it's not an A/U! It starts out as a death story -- be warned, it's sad. Doyle has died in an apparent tragic skiing accident that Bodie blames himself for. It is a guilty, angst-ridden Bodie at his best and Jack takes us through an emotional roller-coaster ride until the very end.

We go through Bodie's memories of Doyle and his last days together and what led up to Doyle going on holidays without Bodie. I won't give the end away, just to say, it's a shocker!

 

 

    Whisper of a Kill  by Lois Welling -- Doyle/Bodie, A/U, novel. 

In this A/U novel, Bodie is an assassin who is hired to kill Cowley, but changes his mind and offers Cowley an exchange: his life for a job with CI5. Cowley is intrigued by this suggestion and agrees. Ray is assigned to be Bodie's minder for the time being and the two men grow close. What follows is a very enjoying read as Bodie and Doyle learn to trust and protect each other. Love soon follows.

See the amazing artwork, "Dualities" by Suzan Lovett here.

 

    Tea for Two  by Alexandra -- Doyle/Bodie, first time.  This story reads like a good episode of the show. Through trial and tribulation and working together as partners throughout, Bodie and Doyle discover how much they care about one another. (Previously published as a stand-alone zine novel).

 

    The Tangled Web  by Jack Rueben Darcy -- Doyle/Bodie, Bodie/Alan Cade, A/U. Crossover with The Chief

Another what if Bodie thought Ray died, but didn't story. Set years after Ray "dies" and leaves CI5, Bodie meets Alan Cade and falls madly in love with him -- because he resembles his dead lover, Ray. The two begin a torrid affair and Bodie later learns the truth: Ray never died and he's been lying to Bodie all along about his real identity.  Will Bodie be able to forgive his former partner? Another Jack Rueben Darcy masterpiece.