Morphine's Favorite "Nookie" Records (as published in CMJ New Music Monthly, May 1997)

Dana Colley (saxophone): "Most of the records that I listen to when I'm feeling romantic are jazz. Top of the list for me would be the John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman album with 'My One and Only' on it. It's one of those records that just gets you in the mood. Next in line would be John Coltrane's Lush Life, and Blue Train. If those don't work for you, then nothing will."

Billy Conway (drums): "I always thought that the music was on the front side of the process -- you listen to it first, and then, when it's over, you sing your own songs. My pick would have to be Earth Wind and Fire's Gratitude, and I also have always liked Van Morrison's Inarticulate Speech of the Heart."

Mark Sandman (bass and vocals): "My favorite album -- all-purpose album -- is Ennio Morricone's soundtrack to "Once Upon a Time in the West," the Sergio Leone movie with Charles Bronson, Henry Fonda and Jason Robards. But if you ask me in an hour, I might say a Prince record. I just got these cassette bootlegs of Prince rehearsals, gigs, outtakes, remixes and songs from the vault. One of them is really good. It's called Crystal Ball, and I've since learned that it was supposed to be the third album of Sign 'O' The Times. Can I change my answer?"


Nic's Abode | Back to Morphine | Back to music links