Insecure

Disclaimer: Voyager and her crew belong to Paramount what I chose to do with them is my own.


We sat together for lunch. People stared... they all seemed to think just because we'd broken up that we couldn't be friends any more. We were laughing. I touch his arm it's just habit. He hardly seems to notice.

It was very all much as it was two years ago before we got together. That thought caused a twinge. I missed him. Sometimes he still moves to put his arm around me another habit, then he'll remember and drop it back to his side. It hurts every time, but I don't know if it hurts for me or for him.

Had I been right? Maybe I hadn't. Maybe I'd put us through all this pain for nothing. I'd sit in my quarters at night and think about him... I thought it was just missing his presence after two years of having him around. But what if it's more what if I still want him need him. What if I was wrong? Then again what if I'm just being weak and I was right.

Now sitting so close to him I want to lean in to his strong arms. To say 'I'm sorry I was an idiot, I was wrong please forgive me.' And he would. I know he would. Finally I rise make an excuse about have to do something before getting back to the bridge. I have to go, if I stay I'll be at his feet begging him to take me back, to forgive me for hurting him.

Sitting at the conn, I want to turn and face him, quietly comm him... something. I miss him. I want him to hold me. To kiss me.

Oh Gods... I screwed up again.

'Yes you did.' My heart tells me in a scream.

'No, no, you did the right thing.' My mind soothes.

'Why can't you decide?' Another part of me wails.

I manage to regain some semblance of calm, to actually pay attention to what I'm doing. But still thoughts wander through my mind, alternately telling me I'm right, or wrong. Some point out I wasn't really happy when I was with him... I was always thinking I wanted out. Then other thoughts point out, I'm always happy around him now... I feel as I'm glowing. Then when we're apart again the glow fades, and I just feel lonely no matter how many other people I'm with.

Oh Gods... what do I do now...


Back to I series