Text Box: Tommyboy's Fan Fiction
The Monkees

 

                 

For the Love of Peter



"Let's Dance on...Oh baby come on," Micky sang. They were playing as a replacement band to a three band line up at a club that usually didn't hire them. The flu was hitting the area and it took out their rivals the Jolly Green Giants.

Micky drummed and sang, happy to have a paying gig as were the others in the band. Mike was getting worried for it was the end of the month and they barely covered rent, saving any emergencies, food was an optional expenditure at the moment.

Micky shifted songs to start singing "Sometime in the Morning" which let the guys relax to an easy state, for the ballad was one of their original songs and they could usually play it on "automatic" mode.

Peter took the calm to look over the crowed that was dancing in front of the stage. One lady caught his eye. She stood about 5'8" and had long auburn hair. She stood off to the side watching Peter. He gave a dimpled smile and she nodded to him.

Mike noted the movement between Peter and the girl in the audience. Mike saw a glint come to Peter's eyes and then the girl in the audience had the same shine 'Damn, Peter finally got the stars in his eyes,' he commented to himself.

Mike turned his attention to the girl. He had to watch out for the guys best interests in times like this. Though Davy eyes saw stars once a week about, he usually wound up getting them into some mess or another.

Mike liked his first impressions of her. She stood off to the side, listening. She wore a black mini dress with short white go-go boots. She looked responsible. He looked back at Peter who was now smiling a silly grin. Mike could only hope he would follow through on this initial contact with the opposite sex.

Davy also saw the stars in Peter's eyes and looked to see what lady held the bass's affections. He nodded in approval also.


After singing their line up and finishing with "Mary Mary," they finished their set. They were the last band bill to play. They started packing up their gear when the audience moved on to dance with the DJ and get drinks from the bar.
Peter put his bass in it's case. Davy came over to him. "I'll put that in the car for you if you want to go find her." he suggested.
Peter glanced at him. "Find who?"
"The bird you were smiling at earlier."
"Davy, you know I'm not very good with girls."
"At least get her name and tell her that we are playing at the Vincent in a few days. Maybe she'll come see us again."
Mike came up behind them. "Go on Peter. Go the restroom and back and if you see her, you see her. If you don't then..." Mike shrugged his shoulders.
Peter closed his case and stood up. "Okay, restroom and back and if I see her..." he trailed off his comment and left the stage.
Davy and Mike looked at each other and continued "... he'll freak." they could only hope that he would keep it together if he happened to find his mysterious lady.

** ** ** **
The mysterious lady went back to the back of the club to find her friends. They were sitting at a table ogling the men that came past them for they were near the restrooms.
"Roxanne? Where you been dear?" the blond called out.
"Up front, listening to the band." she sat down.
"That last band was good looking. Definitely better than those Green Giants. We'll need to talk to Raymond about getting these guys back.
As if on cue Raymond, the club manager came by. "Ladies, enjoying the slumming?" he joked.
The four ladies sitting at the table were in their mid to late twenties with husbands that were on the road during the week. Every once in awhile one would pick up a young man to date for sometime till the lady dropped her boy toy if it was getting to dangerous.
"Raymond, we were just talking about that band you just had up."
"Yes, Connie?"
"You will have to ask them back. It is a much improvement."
"Well, I was on my way to go talk to them about that right now." he told them. "Seems they do have an appeal."
Roxanne nodded. She liked her friends but rarely was she outspoken as they were. She saw coming up the aisle the bass player. His smile broadened when he saw her.
Raymond moved off while Peter approached Roxanne. Nervously he smiled and said "Hi."
"Hi." Roxanne answered.
"I'm Peter."
Connie jumped on that, "Well Peter, you and your band did well tonight."
"Thank you." he said. He looked down at Roxanne. "I was....wondering..."
A curly haired man came up behind him. "What he's trying to say is would you like to have a dance with him."
Peter was somewhat happy that Micky said it for him but was now more terrified to dance with her.
"Sure." she stood up and took Peter's hand and led him to the dance floor. A slow dance was playing.
Peter took her into his arms and tired to make it comfortable.
"I'm Roxanne." she whispered in his ears.
"Nice name," he breathed. She smelled like flowers. He closed his eyes, losing himself to his day dreams.
They danced for the song then pulled apart at it's end.
"Can I see you soon?" he asked, looking at the ground.
She reached for his chin and tilted it up. "I would like to see you."
"Tomorrow?"
"I'll meet you somewhere?"
"The pier?"
Roxanne thought that was a safe area, none of her family or her husbands went there. "What time?"
"Eight, we practice till seven. I can pick you up."
"No I'll meet you there." she smiled. She kissed his cheek then parted with, "See you tomorrow Peter."

Peter stood there watching her walk back to her table. Micky, Davy and Mike came over to him. Mike pushed his mouth closed. "So? What happened?" Mike asked.
"The Pier, eight tomorrow night." Peter said in a monotone voice, still looking at Roxanne.
"Great man, a date for Peter." Davy said enthusiastically.
"We're all packed up and the manager offered us a few more nights off and on for a few weeks, so it looks like we got a paying gig finally."
They turned Peter around and headed out the exit to go home, all in good spirits.

**********
The three friends decided that they couldn't let Peter go by himself to the pier. He was nervous enough thinking about a date, being on a date was much worse.
Peter picked to wear his jeans and a his blue eastern print shirt. Mike gave a nod of approval for his date. Davy and Micky called their currents steadies and Mike was to keep an eye on Peter.
Mike drove them to the Pier and they waited at the entrance for Roxanne to show up.
A few minutes before eight she walked up to them. "Group date?" she asked.
Peter started to stammer so Mike answered. "As you can tell, Peter sometimes stutters a bit. We thought we might keep him calm enough to have a good date."
She nodded. "Don't get out often do you?" she smiled.
Peter melted with that smile and gave one of his dimpled smiles.
Micky leaned over to Davy. "It might be better if they didn't try to talk and just smile at each other. It would be much easier of Peter."
** **
They went hand in hand down the pier stopping at different carnival games. Davy and Micky won their girls some prizes. Peter went to the chance table that you flip rings onto the bottles. Peter took his time and concentrated. He threw his first ring and snagged the second row bottle. He threw his second ring and got the third row bottle. With his last ring he threw and it teetered for a few second before settling onto a bottle neck.
"Way to go Peter." Mike patted Peter on the back.
"You pick Roxanne."
Roxanne picked a large monkey that took two hand fulls to carry.
At the end of the pier were rides. Rides included a merry go round, sliders, and a tunnel of love.
Davy's girlfriend wanted to go on the tunnel of love. Micky followed.


Roxane looked to Peter. "Don't you want to go?"
Peter shook his head. "Let's go on the merry go round. They think it's to tame." They headed off to the Merry go round. Mike stood back and watched Peter from a distance. He was impressed that Peter was holding his own so far.
Peter and Roxanne sat on horses next to each other. Peter took an imitative and held her hand during the ride.
At the end of the night, Peter escorted Roxanne to her car. he put the monkey in the back seat.
He looked at the ground with a bashful look. "I had a good time." he told her.
"I had a great time. it's been forever since I had fun like this."
She tilted his head up. "And I like you and your friends." She stepped closer to him and gave him a kiss. She stepped back from a dazed Peter. "Are you free tomorrow night?"
Peter nodded. "Meet me at Main and Third at seven."
Peter again nodded. He opened the door and she got into her car. He watched her pull out and get on the drive.
Mike came up behind him.
"Proud of you Peter."
"She asked me out tomorrow night." he said in a daze to Mike. Mike looked at his friend then gave a whistle, his friend was falling deep.


*********


Peter was nervous. All day he fidgeted around the pad. The guys tried to get his mind off things. The only time he relaxed was when they practiced and they started work on his new song to the group, for Pete's Sake. They grooved to the sound and laid down their parts and vocals.

Peter went to get ready for his date. He returned from the bathroom to the bedroom he shared with Davy. Davy was searching through the closet for an outfit for his own date.

Peter looked over his shoulder looking at his rack of cloths. He started getting flustered again.

Davy turned around and laid a calming hand on his shoulder. Davy pushed him back to sit on the edge of his bed. "Let's see what we can find for you." Davy returned to the closet and pulled out flowered shirt with white collar and cuffs with dark slacks and moccasin shoes. "You like this outfit and are comfortable. It seems she likes to be comfortable so no big stuff to show off." Davy tutored him.

Peter was grateful for Davy's help. "Thanks man, I didn't know if I should dress to impress or what."

"It seems from last night she likes to have fun. What are you doing tonight?"
"Don't know, she just told me to be at 3rd and main at seven."

"Good luck mate." Davy ran his comb though his hair and found his hat. "I'm off to dinner and a movie."

Peter watched Davy leave the room and thought for a moment what Davy had said, Roxanne was into having fun. "We did have fun last night." he commented out loud. He stood up and got ready for his own date. He was feeling better when he went out into the living room. He had arranged for Mike to drop him off on his way into downtown.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Peter stood on the corner trying to look relaxed but it made him look more uptight.

From behind he heard, "Hey Peter," and he jumped a foot and caught his chest.

He turned to see Roxanne. She giggled at his condition. "Sorry, didn't mean to scare you."

Peter recovered and smiled. She had dressed in peddle pushers and a shirt that showed her bodies natural curves.

"Ready?" she asked.

Peter nodded and took her hand. She led him down the street to a small restaurant that served Italian. Peter relaxed enough to talk a normal conversation and he told her about his life traveling as a child and about being part of a big family, then about the guys in the band.

She didn't reveal much about herself other than she was from the state of Washington and that she had been in LA for only two years.


She let Peter do most of the talking. Once he got over his shyness, he opened up talking about his family and she asked questions that brought little stories out.

After dinner they went back out on to the street. She led him down to a theater and bought two tickets. Peter looked at the Marquee and saw it was a showing of a Fred Astaire movie. She led him up the stairs to the balcony. Since it was a week night there were not many people in the theater.

Peter looked a little lost from where she chose to sit. "I can't see from here," he explained.

"That's not the point Peter," she told him. "Didn't you ever kiss at the movies?"
Peter shook his head no.

Roxanne smiled, "You are a gentleman aren't you?"

"Mom always told me to ...."

Roxanne laid her finger over his lips to hush him.

The lights lowered to dim to signal the beginning of the movie. Roxanne took his hand and held it as they watched the introduction of the movie come over the screen.

By the end of the movie. Roxanne and Peter had gotten a few kisses in, Peter shied away from any other advances. Holding hands, they walked down the street to her car.

"Need a lift home?" she asked.

"I didn't know what we would be doing."

She got in her car and reached over to unlock his door. "Where to?"

"Beechwood Lane, 1334, down by the ocean."

She pulled out of her spot and headed through town. After a few minutes she pulled up behind the Monkee Mobile in the driveway.

"When are you free next?" she asked.

"We have a four night gig starting tomorrow at the Go-Go."

"How about Monday night. I'll pick you up at six. And tell your friends you won't be home till morning."

Peter looked at her. "I don't know... I..."

Roxanne gave him a hurt look. "Peter, I promise you will have fun."

Peter didn't know what to do other than nod at her. He closed the car door and watched her pull away.


*********
Mike was waiting up for him in the living room, reading a book. He looked up when he heard the door close.
"Have a good time Pete?"
Peter walked over and sat down on the easy chair.


Mike saw a confused look on Peter's face. "What's wrong?"


"We went to the Bijou," he gave a strange look, "We sat in the balcony."


Mike knew that the only thing you could do at the Bijou was neck. He chuckled and moved to listen to Peter.


"How'd you like it?"


"Like what?" he asked, looking innocent as usual.


"Necking. You know, kissing and touching." Mike knew that Peter was sensitive to others and wasn't the type to do such things.


"Interesting," was all he answered.


"So what's wrong?"


"She wants to pick me up Monday night and said I wouldn't be back till the next morning."


Mike looked a little shock. 'Moving fast isn't she.' Mike thought.


"Are you going to see her before that?"


"I told her we had a gig starting tomorrow night at the Go-Go."


"Maybe we'll see her there then." Mike told him. Peter nodded. "You okay?"


Peter gave a confused gaze to Mike. "Mike? When I kissed her, I felt strange."


"Like how Peter?"


Peter thought for a moment to put his feelings in to words then answer with "Queasy."


Mike laughed. "I think you have a case of puppy love Pete."


"Will I be okay?" Peter looked worried.


"You'll be okay shotgun. Just enjoy the feeling of love Peter."

The door opened and Micky and Davy came in. "You're still up?" Micky asked.


"Pete just got in himself." Mike announced.


"How'd the date go mate?" Davy asked as he jumped to sit on the sofa before Micky had a chance to take the end.


"They went to the Bijou." Mike announced with a smile.


Micky and Davy looked at each other and both got sleazy smiles. In unison they smiled, "The Bijou."


Peter knew he was about to be teased by the lovers of the group.


"So how was the movie?" Davy asked.


"Didn't see much of it actually," he answered.


Mike stepped in before the guys could grill Peter. "Enough. Bed. All of you. And Davy, leave Peter alone about his date. He has enough to deal with without you nagging him."




Davy gave a questioning look to Mike but kept his question to himself.


** ** **


Peter changed into his orange one piece pajamas and crawled under the covers with his teddy bear. Davy put on his pajamas and wondered what Mike meant.


"Peteh?"


"Yes Davy."


"You okay? Things went okay?"


Peter turned to look at Davy. "While we kissed I got a funny feeling inside. That's all."


Davy smiled, "Sounds like you had an interesting time Peter."


"She invited me out on Monday night, but she said we wouldn't be back till morning."


"My. Sounds like she has a plan for something."


"I don't know. I'm not into fast relationships."


"Face it Peter, you don't have relationships, this will be your first since I've knows you."


"And here I'm the oldest."


"But the youngest in heart Peteh. Don't worry, we'll watch out for you."


Peter nodded. "Thanks Davy."


"Good night mate."


"Good night Davy."


*************


The Monkees set up their instruments at the Go-Go during the day so they wouldn't be making a commotion during business hours.


At eight o'clock the returned to the club. They were not scheduled to be on stage till nine for their first set. They sat at a table not far from the stage and took turns finding girls to dance and mingle with. However Peter sat at the table. He didn't think it was right to do that if you were serious about a girl.


Mike walked by the table, "Time to head up pal." Peter nodded and slowly got up. "You okay?"


Peter followed him up to the stage and they were putting on their instruments. "Just thinking about Monday."


"Why don't you call her and talk to her about it." Davy told him.


Peter shrugged.


"We'll talk more tonight after the get done here, okay buddy?"


"Sure Mike."


They played a forty minute set to a full house. After their set they sat down do relax. Micky and Davy's girlfriends came to the show. They took off to dance with them and socialize with other fans. Mike took off for the restroom.


Once more Peter was left to think what Roxanne had on her mind. He heard someone clearing their throat and looked up to see Roxanne.


"Roxanne." he stammered. "I didn't think you were coming." He got up and pulled out a chair for her sit down.


"I was bored at home so I decided to come see you." she smiled at him.


Peter gave a smile. He thought it was nice someone was coming to see him. He sat back down.


"Where are the others?" she asked.


"Davy and Micky are on the dance floor and Mike stepped away." Peter answered. Feeling awkward at the moment, Peter didn't know what to say.


"Something wrong Peter?"


"Well, I have been thinking...." Peter started to say but was interrupted by Mike and Davy.


"Roxanne." Davy announced as he sat down.


"Davy, Mike." she nodded to them.


"Peter told us that you have some plans for Monday night." Mike stated.


"I've been invited to a friends house in the valley and I want to take Peter with me. I hate driving those roads in the dark, so they are letting us stay overnight and come back in the morning."


Peter's shoulder visibly relaxed with that announcement.


"I can dig that." Davy told them. "Peter was getting a bit nervous about that."


Roxanne looked to Peter, "Sorry about that. Guess I was a bit cryptic about that."


"Hey Peter, why don't you take her for a spin before we have to go back up." Mike prodded.


Peter nodded and stood up with Roxanne. They headed to the dance floor and started moving to the beat.


Davy looked to Mike. "Do you buy that?"


"I buy it, for now." he told him. He kept an eye on the couple on the dance floor. "We'll have to trust it's the truth."


"She seems to like him."


Mike nodded, but there was something that was starting to make Mike think that she was not all that she seemed..


***********


Peter got more nervous at each passing day. By Monday afternoon he was so nervous he couldn't even pack is overnight bag.


Davy took pity on him and packed his bag. They convinced her that it was practical of a man his age to wear an orange footy pajama. Micky pulled out a spare pair for him to wear.


"There now, all nice and packed for your date."


Peter cringed when Davy said date. He started to hyperventilate. "Mike!" Davy yelled while he tried to calm Peter.


Mike ran into the bedroom to see Peter turning red. Mike saw a small brown paper bag on the dresser and opened it to have Peter breath in.


Half an hour later Peter sat on the couch. Micky plopped down next to him. "So Big Pete, you like Roxanne, Right?"


Peter nodded.


"And you dig her big time."


Peter nodded again.


"Then relax. You enjoy her company and you act normal around her."


Again Peter nodded then answered. "That's right. I do like her and I haven't done anything terrible around her."


"That's right Petah'," Davy answered.


At three o'clock there was a knock on the door. Peter answered it. Roxanne stood at the entryway dressed in a orange and pink mini dress. Peter looked down to see his tan pants and Nehru print shirt was presentable enough.


"Ready to go?" she asked.


"Let me get my bag." and Peter walked back into the Pad to retrieve his overnight bag. "See you guys in the morning."


"Remember to think ~relax~," Micky shouted from the band stand.


Peter nodded and headed to the door. Roxanne took him by the arm and linked it through his. They walked to her car at the end of the driveway.


Peter settled into the passenger seat, throwing his bag into the back seat. Roxanne had put down the top to her convertible. She leaned over and gave him a kiss. "Ready for a night away from home?" she asked.


All Peter could do was give her a dimple smile, for if he said anything he would be losing what cool he had left.










The drive was long. She drove the canyon roads fast, "Faster than Mike" Peter commented to himself. A few times he closed his eyes when she went to pass a car. She laughed when he opened them to see that they were still on the road.


"Peter, I'm not going to kill you," she smiled.


"That's nice to know," he answered.


She pulled onto a dirt road and drove back to a cabin. Peter didn't see any other cars around. "I thought we were visiting?"


"We are." she answered. She pulled up next to the house and parked the car. They got out and went to the front porch. She looked around and found a note sticking out of a lamp.


She read it out loud. "Sorry, couldn't catch you in time to tell you we had to go back into the city. Family emergency. Since you are here, enjoy the cabin. We'll talk later."


She looked at Peter. "It seems we have run of the house so to speak." Roxanne opened the door and entered the main room. Peter followed her looking around the room.


Roxanne took his bag out of his hand and took his and hers to a room off to the left of the fireplace. She came back into the room and headed towards the kitchen that was along the back of the room. She opened the refrigerator and pulled out a pitcher of tea. She set about looking for glasses and poured them each a glass.


Peter stood were he had stopped upon entering the cabin. He was letting his mind run through many scenarios. They were alone, in a cabin in the middle of nowhere to him. He gulped in air when he thought what could happen.


Roxanne stood in front of him, "What's wrong Peter?"


"Nothing's wrong." he said a little high pitched.


"Don't you like the idea of being alone with me?" She teased.


"Well, it's like... it's like..."


"Peter, you have been alone with a girl before?"

Peter nodded yes.


"You have done it with a girl haven't you?"


Peter nodded yes.


"Then what's wrong?"


Peter's mouth opened and closes like a gapping fish. Roxanne took the glass out of his hand and set it on the table. She then took his hand and placed it around her hip. "See that's not so hard is it?"


She looked up at him and drew him close to kiss. But she didn't let him go with a simple kiss. She sucked in his lower kip as she moved her hips against his abdomen.


Peter pulled her closer by instinct and held her close. Roxanne took this as an encouraging sign and kissed him deeper.


One kiss led to another and Peter slowly lessened his anxiety. She pulled away and asked, "Here or the bedroom."


"Here."


He leaned her down on to the sofa as he started to unbutton her blouse.


**********


Peter lowered Roxanne onto the couch. Peter's lips were kissing hers. She moaned as his hands ran up and down her sides as he ground his hips against her. Her hands started to unbutton his Nehru shirt. Eventually strewn around the floor were her dress and his tan pants and their unmentionables.


Peter and Roxanne continued to kiss as their hands wondered from pleasure point to pleasure point, eliciting moans and groans of enjoyment. Peter did know a thing or two about making love to a woman, though he would have been totally embarrassed if it was under different circumstances. He lowered his head to run his tongue around her nipple then flicked it. He sucked on the tight nub and felt Roxanne shudder beneath him. Her hands tangled in his brown hair holding him closer.


Her hand moved down between them and took a hold of him. He groaned when she gave him a fisted movement. He pulled up to look down at her. "Easy darling, I can't hold out if you do that."


She pulled him down for a kiss, "Don't hold back," she whispered out.


Peter moved his hips to settle between her open thighs. She was slick and tight when he entered. He felt like he was in heaven. He kissed her neck, chin then her lips.


Roxanne moved her hips, wanting him to move. He brought himself up on his hands to get an angle that he knew would bring her pleasure and started slowly moving his hips. Roxanne caught her breath when he stroked her, causing her to hitch her breath. Peter slowly started picking up the pace, Roxanne was pumping her hips as Peter shifted his.


Roxanne's body trembled with her oncoming orgasm. Peter kept moving, hitting her sensitive nub, prolonging her pleasure. She bucked under him, shaking, rolling her head from side to side. That was Peter's undoing, he came in the throws of her climax. He collapsed into her arms.


He recovered, somewhat thinking that he had passed out. He was still on top of Roxanne. He tried to make a move to roll off but she held him closer, "Don't," she murmured.


Peter rested his head on her chest. He closed his eyes thinking that he was most awesome time in making love he had.


"Talk about a mind-blowing experience," she said. "I've never felt that close before."


Peter smiled, rarely did he hear compliments about something he did. Usually he was always chided for doing something wrong. He kissed the skin closest to him. He wanted to more.


She laughed, "Lets make it to the bed Romeo." Peter's finger found her sensitive spot and she arched, "Well maybe the next round," she gasped.




~


Peter opened the door slowly and quietly. He didn't want to see any of the guys, knowing full well the would jump on him with questions that he wasn't ready to answer yet.

He stood just in the door and slowly closed it. He spied around the room to see if anyone was in the living room. To his relief there was no one there. Moving across the room to the kitchen table he put his bag down. He didn't get much sleep. Roxanne had endurance and he surprised himself by keeping up with her. He smiled a wide grin to the thought of what they had done and where.


Then he heard the back door open with a thud and voices. He turned to see all three of them enter the house from the beach.


"Your back." Micky said in a cheery tone.


Peter looked at them, trying to make his face neutral in look but he knew he was failing when the guys gave him an odd look.


"You feeling okay Peter?" Mike asked.


"I'm ...fine." he stuttered.


Micky looked to Davy and then looked to Peter. Peter only stuttered when he was nervous. "What are you nervous about Pete."


Peter turned and went into the living room and dropped on the sofa. "Nothing." he answered.


The followed him into the living room and all sat down around him. "So how was the get together in the valley?" Micky asked.


"Very interesting." he answered. He gave a yawn.


"Tired, 'a Petah?" Davy asked.


"It was a long night." he answered.


"Anyone of interest at the get together?" Micky asked.


"Well things didn't go as planned." Peter offered.


Mike caught that line. "How did things go last night shotgun?" Mike asked.


Peter gave a sheepish look. He didn't want to get in to it yet about last night, but he left himself open. "Her friends had to go back in the city before we got there. So we had the cabin to ourselves."


"Peter, you didn't?" Micky said in fake shock. Davy cocked an eye brow.


"You and Roxanne were alone last night?" Mike asked to make sure he heard him correctly.


Peter nodded.


"And?" Micky asked.


"And what?"


"Did you?"


"Did what?"


"You know..." he nudged Peter.


Peter looked down again but nodded.


"Good for you." Micky sang out.


Mike could tell that Peter didn't want to talk about it. "Leave him alone Micky. He's had a long night, now we know why. Let him get some rest. He doesn't have to say anything about last night. It's not like he grills you about all the girls you do."


"I don't do that many Mike. And it's my nature to grill."


"Well leave him out of it." Mike got up and motioned for Peter to get up.


Peter headed for his room followed by Mike. He sat on the edge of his bed. Mike had followed him in.


"How was it last night?"


Peter slipped off his shoes and laid back on his bed. "It was great. I mean, I didn't lose my nerve and we flowed." Peter looked up at the ceiling. "It was magic." he said wistfully.


Mike shook his head and wondered about his blond friend. "You got it bad man." When he looked down at Peter, his eyes were closed and he was in an even breathing. "And plum tired."


Mike went back into the living room and Micky and Davy were waiting. "What did he say?"


"He wasn't a klutz, if that is what you are asking." Mike went to the easy chair and sat down. "He and Roxanne connected."


Davy and Micky looked at each other with knowing faces.


"Hold it you two." Mike saw those faces and knew what it meant. "Don't rib him about this when he gets up. You know how sensitive he is."


"Would we do that?" Davy asked.


"Yes you would." Mike answered. "You know he takes things to his heart. Just let him be for awhile. You know he'll tell you when he's ready. He always does."


Micky and Davy looked crestfallen in that they couldn't drill Peter about his time with Roxanne. They shrugged and knew better than to cross the line Mike gave them. They turned and headed for the back door. "Well, we'll go play on the beach. See ya'." Micky called back.


Mike watched them leave and shook his head.


**************




At seven the phone ran. Peter was still asleep, exhaustion claiming him for over four hours so far. Mike answered the phone. "Monkees residence."


"Mike? Roxanne. I was calling to see if Peter was around."


"He's still asleep Roxanne."


"Still asleep?"


"Seems a bit worn out from his trip." Mike smiled.


"Well it was interesting. Can you tell him that I can't make it tomorrow night to the club."


Mike's heart was crest fallen she had him to herself one night and she was dumping him already.


"What's wrong?"


"Family emergency. I care for my Grandmother on the weekends and her nurse has to go out of town. I can't leave her alone for any time. I really wanted to hear you play again."


"There is always next week."


"True. Can you tell him and I'll call sometime tomorrow to make it up to him."


"I'll tell him. Thanks for calling Roxanne."


Mike hung up the phone and went to check on Peter.


~~ ~~ ~~
Roxanne hung up the phone and looked down at it for a second. Lies, her other life was full of lies. But last night she felt something she had never felt before. Peter loved her for what he had to offer, which was himself.

"Roxanne. Where are you dear?" a man asked from the family room.


Looking at herself in the mirror before her. Would her husband notice the change. Her unhappiness. He came home unexpectedly from his week away from home. She played with her friends on the weekdays and nights and played dutiful wife when he was home on the weekends. His week's schedule was with a client in San Francisco but canceled due to illness.


Roxanne gave a smile to herself and went into the family room. "Yes honey?"


"So where were you this morning. I didn't think you moved that early."


Roxanne sat down on the man's lap and smiled. Her husband was fifteen years older than she. He had money and didn't care what she did on her own time. "I went to the cabin last night."


"Interesting, what was going on up there?"


"Nancy and Fred invited me over. But they had got called back to the city before I got there. It was to late to come back."


"Wise move. Those canyon roads are very dangerous if you aren't used to them. I didn't disrupt your plans by coming home?"


"Nothing that can't be changed. What do you want to do tonight?"

"How about dinner and a night out at that little place we like to dance at."


"I'll get dressed." She kissed him briefly then stood up. Be down in a few minutes. She left him in the family room and walked up the carpeted stairs to their bedroom. She couldn't believe that she found someone that loved her for herself instead of a show piece that she thought her husband loved her for. With a heavy sigh she went to change clothes to go out with her husband.


*************




Roxanne smiled and listened to the stories her husband told of places and work. He never asked how she felt or what she was doing. She felt like a trophy that didn't have anything to say. She let his stories flow.


He took her to a nice quiet restaurant and now they were at a fairly new club that played the old standards. He liked to dance to vintage songs. Roxanne had to admit he was a good dancer and she liked dancing.


There was a small band that played swing. They started a new set. He asked if she would like to dance. They went out onto the dance floor.


~~~~~~
Micky walked into the club with his date for the evening Laura. She dressed like a fox and liked to dance. She told him about the club, that played swing music. He would handle it. He could jitterbug with the best of them.


He escorted her to a table for two near the dance floor and ordered drinks.


"Want to give it a try?" he asked.
They went out onto the dance floor.


~~~~~~~~
Roxanne leaned against her husband during a slow dance. It felt nice to have his secure arms around her, holding her.


That was what she wanted when she married him, security. And she got that. But now she wanted to experience life.


She rested her head, relaxing in her husband's guidance. Something caught her eye across the dance floor. She looked up to see better.


Across the room she saw the back of someone's body that had curly hair. 'There is only one person who looks like that.' that she thought.


Again she leaned into her husband. She could only hope that Micky wouldn't see her.


They danced one more song than returned to their table. Before sitting Roxanne excused herself to go freshen up.


~~~~~
Micky enjoyed his dances with Laura and brought her back to their table. He caught a glimpse of someone he though he knew. Looking more intently he confirmed when she turned slightly to kiss the man on the cheek before walking to the back of the room.


Roxanne.


** ** **


Micky couldn't believe his eyes. She had been sitting at a table with an older man. He looked like a fat cat. But he had to find out if it was her. If it was she lied to Peter.


"Excuse me, I thought I saw someone I hadn't seen for awhile." He stood up and headed for the back of the room. Guessing that she had gone in to the restroom he hung out at the enterance till Roxanne emerged.


"Roxanne, dear, it's been a long time." he smiled in disguise.


Playing along, "Micky, you are looking good." She took a deep breath and waited to see what Micky was going to do. She noticed that her husband was watching her. "Do you wish to meet my husband, and then maybe dance a moment."


"I would love to meet your husband."


They wound their way through the tables and Roxanne stopped by her table. "Warren, I would like you to meet a friend of mine. Micky, Warren Betts."


Micky looked at the man and saw an older, overstuffed man, that seemed to have taken a child bride. "Nice to meet you Warren." Micky extended his hand out.


"Micky. Must be one of Roxanne's newer friends." He was scoffing about Micky's hair.


"I would like a dance with Roxanne if you don't mind." Micky asked.
Warren nodded and Micky led Roxanne out on to the dance floor that was starting a slow dance. Micky moved them away from Laura and Warren so he could talk to her.


"I'm waiting." he whispered in her ear.


"Micky, I'm sorry you found out."


"Found out that you're a cheating wife, and using Peter."


"Micky, Peter is so open and loving. I didn't mean to.."


Micky looked down at her. "It's a game to you. You are a rich bitch who does what they want to when they are bored. You know that you are killing Peter. He loves you, he really does."


Roxanne nodded, knowing that he did. The way they had made love had proven that.

"I know he loves me." she told him.


"I'm not the one who is going to tell him." Micky told her. "He's going to be devastated when he finds out."


Roxanne nodded again. "I'll come by tomorrow."


"Two o'clock. I'll make sure we are close by." Micky told her in a voice that was filled with anger.


The song ended and Micky returned Roxanne to Warren's table. Roxanne sat down and Micky nodded his head. "Thank you for the dance Roxanne. Hope you two have a wonderful evening."


Roxanne took a sip of her wine as she watched Micky go back to his table and talk to his date for a moment then they stood up and left the room. She could only speculate what he had told his date to get her to leave so quietly and quickly.


"Roxanne? Are you okay?" the voice broke into her stare. Turning she looked at her husband. "You seem shaken my dear. Did he say something to upset you?"


Taking a deep breath she looked to her husband. "No dear, he just reminded me of a few things."
Looking at Warren she was reminded that what she thought life was, she now found to be an illusion. 'Tomorrow that was all going to change.' she told herself.


************


Micky dropped off Laura and headed home. He was smoldering in anger at Roxanne and knew that he had to talk to Mike.


Mike was sitting at the band stand working on a song with his acoustic guitar. He looked up to see Micky come across the living room. "You're back early. Bad date?"


Micky looked around the room. "Where's Pete?"


"Asleep. Went back to bed about an hour ago."


"I need to talk to you but not in here." Micky went to grab Mike's arm and start to phyiscaly take him out onto the verandah and down the stairs.


"What's wrong?" Mike finally get a chance to say.


Micky stood before the surf, thinking on how he was going to tell Mike the news of Roxanne.


"What's this all about?"


"I took Laura to a dance club. She likes to dance to the oldies and such. While I was there I ran into Roxanne."

"But she said she was caring for her Grandmother."


"I know. I found out a bit more than she wanted us to know. She's married Mike."


Mike swore softly under his breath. "Damn it, and Peter loves her."


"I know. I told she had to tell him. She's to come by two tomorrow to tell him the truth."


"What about her husband?"


"He's a fat cat, and looks like she just married him for money. He's certainly not a man to show a girl a great time. She was dressed fine and he didn't look like he was hurting for anything."


"A rich girl who plays on the side." Mike summarized. He walked a few feet away thinking. "Man, Peter is going to crushed." Mike thought for a moment. "Well, at least we know before they really gone out for a long time. I wish she hadn't done this to him." Mike could feel is own anger rise in thought of Peter in emotional turmoil over this. He kicked at the sand. He felt helpless to help Peter at this moment in regards to being hurt from a relationship.


"What are we going to do Mike?" Micky asked.


"What can we do? Be there for him." Mike told Micky. "Roxanne come and tell him and we'll be there to support him. It's part of love and live, the hurt. Just wish it wasn't so soon. I wanted him to enjoy this."


Micky nodded.


Mike thought out their plan for tomorrow. "You get Davy and tell him what is happening. I want everyone here when she shows up."


"Right."


"And we'll be there when she drops the bomb."

 

 

@ 2005 Tommy Boy fan fiction * design and content by Paula C. *