Text Box: Tommyboy's Fan Fiction
The Monkees

 

                 

Space Station Aires

chapter 1 to 5

 

Day 1

 


Before him, beyond the plate glass window that looked out into space, Micky watched as the trooper ship approached what he called home, Space Station Aires. Micky thought back that this mission had been a hard one, at that the unit was lucky that they didn't lose more than they did. He was glad that he was coming home.

The mission had been outline as routine, go onto a planet to secure an area that would be needed for use by a scientific team. That was routine. Go on, set up camp, recon the area and set up a base for incoming scientist to study the new planet. However, someone in the hierarchy did not work on the data, they missed one very important item. The natives were not very hospitable to visitors.

Micky afforded the luxury of rank to be on recon. He was good in scouting out areas and directing movement. Unfortunately his rank also had him train in new members of the unit but this time his partner was a positive instead of a negative in the situation of things. They backed each other in more than one skirmish with the locals.

He returned his gaze back to the window. Space Station Aries grew each moment in size while the ship made it final approach. The station was home to 15,000 people and soldiers. It's primary mission was to house a garrison of soldiers for support to that sector of space. It was home to 3 squadrons of space fighters along with recon patrols, like his unit, and sector security. Aires was also on a main trade route, so it housed support personal for people that were laying over, so Aires had a reputation of being a little seedy. But Micky loved it's seedy side, it gave him to escape what he had endured while on duty.

Micky looked down at his green jacket. Across his pocket, a patch displayed a star with RECON A lettered on it. He had been part of the unit for three years. At the rank of Lieutenant, he was in position of being not the leader, but his opinion counted. He took their business seriously, but once on down time, he let his other side show through.

He turned to hear someone come into the room. He had moved from the central room once morning announcement had been made. Others in the company were excited that they were close to home. Micky saw his new partner walk in. At their first introduciton, he didn't know that his partner would have toughness to make it through any of their missions, but they pulled through this one alive.

"Hey Mandy," he said. She was dressed in army fatigues, the green t-shirt, green parachute pants and the army boots laced to the ankles. She stood 5'5" and had short straight auburn hair. She had a bit of muscle on her, but she was slim to the sight.

Micky turned his attention back to the window. The troop ship was approaching the upper ring that was assigned for garrison ships.
"That's what Aires looks like?" he heard asked.

Micky turned to her, "Didn't you see it when you arrived the first time?"

Mandy shook her head. "I was stuck in a freighter with thirty others that got pawned off from a substation. I was lucky I found room on the floor to sleep."

Micky laughed. Micky was glad that out of the three new members to the team he got her. The other two had proven a handful to the captains. It was long standing order that new members were teamed the first few rotations with the officers. Other than she good to the eyes, she held herself well with a weapon and didn't hesitate on his orders. She was going to survive, Micky could already tell. "Well, welcome home to Space Station Aries."

They watched as the ship made it approach to an outstretched arm. They heard the locking mechanism. They heard the others start moving around the common room. Mandy turned to join them.

"Wait," Micky told her. "We have to go through two air locks. Only twenty can go at a time. The one's with family are antsy to get through and the reception area is smaller than our common area."

Mandy understood. She didn't have anyone to great her, and she could imagine how those with family felt to see their loved ones. She returned to the window. Her gaze went to look at Micky. He was lost in thought again. She had seen him do that often while they had a few quiet moments on patrol. She looked over him, thinking what made him Micky. He stood 6'1", had long curling hair that was now getting a bit "bushy." He wore his uniform, like hers, along with his jacket. But Micky had a trademark, black leather fingerless gloves. She found out on the mission that they come in handy. At one point when they were climbing her sweat hands were becoming her undoing.

"So where is home on the station for you?" They had little time to talk about anything.

"A friend of mine is in civil engineering. He creates living quarters in places that station doesn't use. He created an apartment our band."

"Band?"

"Yeah. I play drums in a band called the Monkees. We play in some of the clubs on the station when we are all available."

"Must be a cool gig."

"I enjoy it. It lets me get loose. After the stress of this job, I need some release."

A man came to the door, "Hey Dolenz, group two is heading out. You follow up?"
"Got it." Micky called back to the commander.
Once again alone to their own thoughts. "You are lucky Micky, to find people to understand you."

"Understand? No. More like put up with me." Micky looked down at Mandy. He was trying to pick at the scab that had some up on her arm from her fight. "Quit that, it already bad enough now."
"It itches on one side and I can still feel the burning on the other."

Micky raise her arm to look at the nasty cut that she had. "I wish my friend Mike was our Med. He would have this fixed to nothing by now."
"This guy doesn't know a thing."

Micky agreed, "He got the job by default. We lost a med on a mission and he got it be assignment. He's supposed to be getting training when on base, but I guess that hasn't happened."

"Once I find a place to bunk, I'll go to the infirmary."
"Place to bunk?" Micky hadn't asked if she found a place before being shipped out with the unit.

"I was only here two days before I was put into Recon A."

"There's room out our place. We have a common area, but we each have our own rooms. You can bunk with me till you get used to this place. At least that will get you out dorms."

"You don't sound like a fan of the dorms."

"Was there for the first year I was here. No, I don't like the dorms, no privacy, and no fun." Micky judged the time, "Let's get a move on. Should be time for the last group to make it through."

They walked into the common area and found ten others still waiting. Micky took Mandy to the side. "When you get in the first lock, stand near me and follow my instructions."

Mandy nodded. They grabbed their duffle bags. Micky had his one, while Mandy had her two, the one for the assignment and the other with her normal gear. She hadn't found someone to stow it for her while she was gone. Micky picked it up before she could get in position.

The doors opened and the twelve of them walked into a small room. Micky saw that he was senior of the group and that the other two newbies were with them. "Stow your gear to the racks on the wall." Everyone followed Micky's example. "Stand with some space between you and hold on to the straps from the ceiling like your life depended on it. Do not let go no matter what." Mandy grabbed on to two straps and looked at Micky.
"Now close your eyes. Do not open them till I tell you." he ordered. Micky followed his own advise. He had been through the process several times now, but each time was like a first.

Mandy could feel the tension from Micky.

Micky took a deep breath and started to let it out slowly. He heard the doors close and lock. Soon they would hear the count down. A mechanical voice came over a speaker counting down from five. After one, a sonic boom filled the room then the air was sucked out of the room. It pulled at Micky and Mandy, trying to floor them. Mandy held on to her straps. Then the feeling of heat came to her, an intense light filled the room. She was thankful that she already had her eyes closed. Then air came back into the room.

Micky stood there, counted to ten to himself then opened his eyes. He had three on the floor, the other two newbies and Grover, their land tech.

"Open your eyes," he told the group.

Mandy opened her eyes. The experience of being blasted was a bit discerning to her. "What was that?" she asked.

"Welcome to bio-collection." Micky announced as he moved to the wall to get the duffel bags. "We are now de-germed and deemed worthy to go into Aires."

"Thanks for the warning." Mandy told Micky.

"I wish someone had told me the first time." Micky confessed to her. "Everyone deserves a shot to know. It's what you do with the information." He looked back at the two newbies picking themselves off the floor.

They picked up their bags and headed out the other door that had opened on the far side of the room.

The reception area was now cleared out. Micky stepped to the side and laid down his duffel bag. he opened the side panel and pulled out a communications band He snapped it into place on his right wrist.

Mandy watched as he coded in a start up code. "Interesting." she commented.

"Mike, my room mate, is in the communication attachment now. He developed this little thing. It keeps each of us homed in on each other while on base. Comes in handy when you are in trouble and such. Lets start heading home. I have no idea what time it is right now, but I think space lag will catch up with us by the time we get home." Micky shouldered one bag while he carried the other by its handle.

Mandy had lost the track of turns they made and people movers they had been on. They worked their way through te garrison to the central bank of elevators that lifted people through the center of the space station. The center showed the vast height of the station.


While waiting for a car to come to their level, Mandy looked to the center. She returned a few feet back to where Micky stood.

"Gives a feeling that you are a small insect does in it?" Micky asked her.

Mandy nodded, then asked, "How long have you been here?"

"Three years," he answered. "There's a car for us." They moved off to an elevator. It looked to be able to hold thirty people but it was just them.

"Where are we off to?" Mandy asked

Micky leaned against the wall, "Storage actually. There are a few levels in storage that have been abandoned. Peter, the one who is the civil engineer is working on converting the old storage areas into livable space. He was able to get us the permission to create our own pad. So we have space to share but our own space to give us breathing room."
"So who are your other roommates? I know that there is Mike, who once was a med tech and now in communications. Who is the fourth?"

" That leaves Davy, who is an entrepreneur of sorts." Micky explained.

"Entrepreneur?"

Micky smiled, "Well Davy is good at two things, finding chicks the dig him and being a scavenger. Since Aires is on the main line, people bring things here and find that they can not take them to their destination. Davy has a knack of picking things up and finding someone to buy them among other things that he trades in."

"So he is a trader," Mandy stated.

"Of sorts. You'll get a feeling for it after awhile with him. He's a great bloke. I love him to death."

"How did you meet?" The elevator was still moving during their conversation, she couldn't fathom where they were going to.

"We like to play music. Met up in a pub one night and found that we liked playing music. I play drums, Peter and Mike play guitar and Davy plays percussion and has a great voice. We started playing when things were slow. Then Peter talked us into moving in together. He had an apartment up on the living quarters deck for awhile, but we couldn't practice. Then Peter came up with the idea of moving down here. It's secure and a few others have moved in. It was a great idea. We have more room and able to have our own space. Much better than the dorms or the apartments."

The car started to slow. Micky stood up and picked up his bags. Mandy followed him to the door. It opened to a darkened reception area. An android stood as sentry to the main hall.

"Hey MARKO," Micky called out.

MARKO looked to Micky then to Mandy. "Nice to see your return Micky. And this is?"

"Mandy, meet MARKO, the doorman. She's crashing at the place for awhile so add her
to the list."

"As you say," MARKO replied. "MARKO's job is to let only those with permission in. We don't want the riff raff of the station to get down here," Micky explained.

"So if someone does come down here without being the list, what would happen?"

"One warning then . . ."Micky answered with his finger aiming like gun.

"Nice meeting you MARKO," Mandy said as they moved off.

"Nice meeting you Mandy." MARKO answered.

 

Day 2


Micky led her through the tunnel that was powered by low wattage stream lights.  They walked for what she estimated be a few minutes.   “A bit far is in it?” she asked.

“Ah my lady, wait till you see what I have to show you.  It is worth every step.” Micky said happily.  He was starting to feel better.  He was close to home, and his own bed.

Micky stopped before a door that had been painted with a a logo of a guitar shape of the words, the Monkees.  “The name of our group and logo,” Micky explained.  Micky put his hand to the door id mechanism.  It registered his hand print and the doors slid open.  

Mandy followed him through the door into the compartment, or what she thought was a storage compartment.  Before her was a large living room, with sunken sitting area at room beyond.  The far wall held her attention.  It was a glass window looking out of Aires into space.  She could see the nebula that was within sight of the station.  Micky had been right, it was worth the walk.

Micky walked on, dropping the two bags on his way to the sunken sitting area. 

Mandy dropped her bag next to his and kept looking around the room.  On her left was the kitchen and a dining room set and three other doors, to the right were two doors on the first floor and a tornado stairs that wen up to a balcony the had two more doors.   She made her way to the steps that went down into the sitting area.  There she noticed three others sitting in different styles of chairs.

Micky had made his way to the farthest seat, into a round futon chair.  He was bent over unlacing his boots.

“Hey Micky, are you going to introduce us?”   Mandy looked at the blond who was sitting yoga style on the leather couch.  Dressed in a purple tunic shirt and tan pants.  His build was slim but she thought he was good looking. 

Micky looked up.  “Mandy the blond is Peter, bass play of the band and civil engineer.”  Mandy moved to shake hands with him.

“Nice to meet you.” she said nervously.

“The gentleman sitting on the furry couch, deep in thought is Davy.  Davy, hey man, wake up.”  Micky called out. 

The man deep in through at shorter hair and boyish features.  Micky had told Mandy that he was he trader, and she could surmise that he used his appearances to his advantage.

“No use, he’s fixated of a girl he met last night in the bizarre.” Peter answered.

Micky looked to Mandy and nodded his head towards Davy and puckered his lips.   

Mandy got the idea.  After spending constant time with Micky, she got his sense of humor.  She moved to stand before Davy and leaned over to lightly kiss his lips.

Davy’s eyes lost their trance like state and looked at her.  He moved back from her startled by the kiss.  Everyone in the room laughed at the way he reacted. Mandy straightened up and looked down at Davy.

“What bloody hell was that for.” he shouted.

“Earth calling Davy,” Micky said.

Davy looked to see Micky sitting in his favorite.  “Micky!” he exclaimed and got up to give his friend a homecoming hug.  “You’re home.”

“Home with friend.”  Micky nodded towards Mandy.

Davy turned to look at the brunette that had kissed.  “Sorry about that love.  You startled me a bit.”

“It looked that you had your mind on something else.” she commented back.

Peter commented, “A girl as usual.”

“Well, she was a looker she was.  Yet she didn’t fall for any of my lines.” Davy seemed perplexed.

“Finally, he may have found a girl that can not be charmed by the likes of Davy.” Mandy heard behind her.  She turned to see the fourth of the group.  “I’m Mike.”  He stood up and offered his hand for a hand shake. 

Mandy looked up at him.  He stood 6'2" and  a lean build.  He ware jeans and a comfortable tunic.  She could sense from him that he was the one who controlled things.

She shook his hand and Mike noticed the gash on her arm.  Mike looked past her and told Micky, “I swear your tech is the most inept med in the world.”

Mike’s hands went to pull the sleeve up to look at the gash that was still read and swollen.  “Micky get my kit.” 

Micky had finished taken his boots off, he got up and headed towards the stairs.  He went up and entered the first room.  He came back with a med tackle box.

While Micky was getting the kit, Mike had his attention back on Mandy.  He escorted her up to the kitchen area.  The light raised in the area.   “Have a seat.  Let’s see what we can do to get that arm looking a little better.”   

Mandy looked at Mike, “You are kind of a control freak aren’t you. I don’t mean in a bad way, but..”

Mandy sat down in a straight back chair at the table.   Peter had moved too and was stand by Mandy.  Peter explained, “Mike is our mother hen you see, he makes sure we are good.”

Mike gave an exaggerated smile to Peter and Mandy then countered.  “They were looking for someone who would put up with their childish antics.”

Micky came to the table with Mike’s kit.  Mike pulled a chair out to sit beside Mandy and started looking over her arm. 

“Mike, Ted didn’t have anything to do with that.  Mandy and I were on recon.  It was a bad mission.”  Micky sat down at another chair.  He was starting to feel tired.

“Why didn’t Ted take care of it on the way home.  It would taken a few minutes to put a bio patch on it after getting the infection out.”  Mike opened the tackle box.  He pulled out a few items. 

Mike placed his fingers around the swollen area.  He said a few swear words under his breath.   Peter had moved behind Mandy and watched Mike as he analyzed Mandy’s arm.  Mike gave a nod to him.  Peter moved to touch Mandy’s forehead, causing her to slump over while she lost unconsciousness.  Mike caught her and set her back up in the chair.  Peter held her up.

Peter had the ability to help disassociate the mind from the body.  If the need to have someone out, he could touch them like he had Mandy and have them fall into a deep sleep.  Or if he need them to stay awake he could let their mind float above it.  Davy thought it was neat that Peter could give someone a drug induced trip, without the drugs.

Mike went to work on her arm.  He had Peter take Mandy out so she would feel the chemicals to burn the infection out.  It saved on giving her the distress of the pain, though the arm was severe enough to give her constant pain.

“She wasn’t complaining about this?” Mike asked as he swab the disinfectant on the area.

Micky watched from across the table.  “She rarely said anything about it.  I think I said more about it when it started turning red.”

Miked had to admire a girl who could take that type of pain. He sat back while the reaction took place between the infection and the chemicals.


Mike looked through his kit and pulled out a plastic film.  Inside was a material that was known as bio skin.  It was like a band aid but more.  It grew into the skin, creating a layer of protection while the person’s skin regenerated below it.

After the infection was drawn out, Mike cleaned the wound once more and dried it.  He laid the bio skin over the gash and pressed it close to seal it.  Mike inspected his work and thought he had done a good job.  “I should send Ted the bill for this.”

“Right.” Micky half laughed.  “I knew you would take care of it.  Ted still doesn’t know what to do.”

Mike looked at Micky, “At the scares me.  If something happens to you, who is going to take care of it.”

Micky shrugged at that.

Mike looked up at Peter who was holding Mandy up.  “I think it’s okay to bring her out.”

Peter touched her forehead again and Mandy shook her head.  She felt like she had nodded off for only a moment, but looking at her arm, she saw that Mike was done.  All she thought was  that she nodded off due to exhaustion.

“Okay?” Micky asked with concern, playing the game that she had just nodded off.

“Yeah,” she answered.  She looked at her to see the bandage.  “You did that quickly.” she commented.

“A talent of mine.” Mike answered.

Micky looked at the guys.  “Mandy is going to crash here for awhile.  She just arrived on the station before being sent out with Recon.”

Micky looked over to Mandy, “Ready for some shut eye?”

Mandy did feel tired.  The weeks away were starting to be felt on mind and body.  This was regrouping time for both of them.  They had spent 10 weeks out and got 8 weeks to spend on their own, with a few times to check in with the commander to show that they were being good soldiers.

They got up from the table and headed across the room. 

Davy had turned on the tv and was watching a game show.

“Night Davy.” Micky called out.  “Don’t let that girl get you down.  There are others out there.”

“I know, but it’s just weird how she didn’t take to me.”

Mandy couldn’t help to comment, “Maybe you weren’t her type.”

“Not her type, any girl like me.”

“Maybe she wasn’t a girl.  Or she isn’t into MEN.” she stressed.

Mike laughed at that thought. 

Micky picked up his duffel bag and Mandy’s second.  Mike was behind Mandy and picked hers up before she reached for it.  “You are a guest.” he told her.

They made their way up the stairs and went into the left door.

The room was large room with a partition, giving it a living room and a bedroom.  Mandy eyed the couch in the corner.  “I’ll take the sofa.” she told them.

“You sure?  I have a two beds in the bedroom.” Micky told her.

“I prefer couches, they have tendency to give a bit.”

Micky dropped her bag next to the sofa as did Mike.   Micky went to the bedroom and dropped his bag on the floor.  He pulled the extra pillows off the bed and a blanket and brought them with him back to the living room.

Mandy had sat down on the sofa and started unlacing her boots.  “Beds have a tendency to make you feel that you should have someone with you or that it’s what we are told to sleep in.  The sofa will be fine.”

“The bathroom is through that door.” Mike pointed to her left.  “It adjoins my room.”

Mandy stood up and opened up one of the duffel bags and pulled out a few items.  “Be back in a moment.”  She went into the bathroom.

Mike looked to Micky who was starting to look like the walking dead.  Mike came up behind him and massaged his shoulders.  Micky started to purr to the movement.

“Think she’ll want a neuro sleep?” Mike asked.

“After the hell we went through, she’ll need it worse than me.”

“What happened out there?”

“The planet was freaking because we were there.  I can’t believe we only lost four there.  When that Augen attacked Mandy, I thought we were goners.  But she kept her cool and won.”

Mike continued to work on Micky’s neck and shoulders when Mandy came back in.  She had changed into short and a fresh t shirt.

“That is little bit better than that ugly uniform.”

“Get used to it.” Micky and Mike said together, being both part of the army themselves.

Mandy settled on the couch and laid back.

Micky went over to her and sat on the edge of the couch to talk to her.

“Mandy?”  Micky asked.

“Yes?”

“I’ve been doing this for three years, recon patrol and all.  I learned something else that I don’t know how you will handle.  It’s up to you, Mike knows what do if you need help but one thing I deal with it is using a neuro chip.”  Micky held out two.  “It gives a dreamless sleep and lets you sleep till your body has caught up with itself.  I’m usually out for 48 hours.”

Mike added, “before Micky started using them, he was a bear for a week with memories of what happened and what energy his body stored up.  He never could get a good rest till he reassured himself he was home.”

“Micky, so far you have taken care of me that I appreciate it.  I wish the last assignment I was with was as nice as you.  If you think it would be to my benefit I’ll give it a try.”

“It will give a chance for your arm to heal too.”  Mike placed the neuro chip on her forehead.   Slowly Mandy’s eyes closed to the oncoming sleep.

Micky watched as Mandy had fell asleep.  He had done that several times on the mission, watching her face relax.  He had wanted to kiss those lips several times while on the mission too. 

Micky was interrupted by Mike’s throaty “uh-hm.”

“Jealous?” Micky asked.

“Me jealous?  I don’t think so.”

Micky stood up and looked once more at Mandy.  ‘Maybe’ he thought.  He moved on to his bedroom and took off his pants and pulled off his shirt, leaving only his boxers on.

  Mike saw the marks on Micky’s back.  “Micky, what happened to you?”  Mike’s finger running down his back of bruises.

“Fell of a cliff.”

Mike put his hand to the darkest bruise, making Micky twitch away.  “Careful.” 

Mike let an energy move from his hand to Micky’s back.  Slowly the bruising changed color from tan to purple to white skin.

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I know you would take care of it.” Micky yawned.  He pulled down the sheet and climbed into his bed.

Mike sat on the edge of the bed.  “So tell me about Mandy.”

“Loner type, been in the force for three years.  Did desk jobs mostly but she was trained well.  She covered my ass more than once on this duty.  She can hold her own.”

“So why is she here?”

“No place to stay as of yet.  She was going to the dorms.  You know how I hate that place.”  Mike nodded.  “Told her she could hang here till she got used to the place and found something.  I’ll help her once we get back in order.”

“We’ll all help her.  She has a quick wit about her.”

“Wait till you find out more about her.  She’s cool, like the rest of us.”

“We’ll explore that once you get back on your feet.”  Mike placed the neuro chip on Micky’s forehead.  “You rest up buddy.  Welcome home.”

“Thanks, glad to be home.  Missed..  You ... guys.”  And Micky was asleep, into his dreamless slumber.

 

Day 3


Mandy woke up slowly from her sleep.  She felt good, refreshed, however she didn’t open her eyes.  She let her body stretch this way and that to get the blood flowing again.  She opened her eyes then to see where she was. 

She was in a darkened room.  There were a few splashes of neon here and there on the walls from signs.  She remembered that Micky had offered a place to crash while she got familiar with the station.

She touched her forehead to take the neuro chip off.  She did feel better using it, she didn’t know what would have happened if she hadn’t used it.  She knew that she was stressed from the mission. 

Slowly she moved to stand up and head to the bathroom, her kidneys were telling her it had been some time.  She entered the bathroom and relieved herself.  She had been impressed with the bathroom when she changed into her bed clothes.  It had a large shower in one corner and a bathtub next to it.  There were two sinks on the wall where the toilet was.  She was impressed with the layout.    She stood up and saw a stack of towels and note on top.


Mandy,

Enjoy the shower.  Soap and shampoo are inside.
Enjoy the real water. 

Mike

She thought back to the tall guy.  She looked at her arm and saw that the patch had dissolved away.  She couldn’t even tell that she had been hurt. 

Mandy went back into Micky’s room and found some clothes to change into after her shower.  She pulled out socks, jeans, t shirt and bra.  She returned to the bathroom and set down her cloths on the counter.

The shower was easily set and she stepped in to the warm water.  It had been several weeks since taking good cleaning.  She and Micky had come to a lake.  After checking out the area, they thought it was safe to take a dip.  Micky told her to go first.  She had learned since being the army not to be modest about your body.  She stripped quickly and waded into the warm water, washing quickly.   Mandy had gotten out when the first line of fire was brought on them.  She took cover with Micky while the fired a few rounds at their attackers.  “Guess that was a bad idea.” Micky had commented.  Mandy laughed at the memories of the moment.  Mandy finished her shower and stepped out.   She dried off with the large towels Mike had left out and dressed.  It did feel good to shower.

Mandy dressed in jeans and a black t-shirt that said “What’s your problem?”  She dropped her dirty clothes next to her bags in Micky’s room then let herself out of the bedroom. 

Mandy made her way down the stairs into the living room.  She walked over to the space window.  It was intriguing.  Watching the ships dodge around the station then looking beyond.  There was a nebula not far from the station, one of the reasons it had been placed there was to study it.

She realized that she didn’t know what time it was.  “Computer?” she asked.

“Yes?” a sexy female voice answered.

“How did I guess.” Mandy mumbled in regards to the computer voice.  “What time is it?”

“Three AM.”

“Where are Peter, Mike and Davy?”

“Peter is asleep, Mike is at work and Davy has not returned from his nightly activity.”

“Is there a computer to check my e mails?”

A light turned on at a desk in the corner of the room.  Mandy walked over to the desk and sat down.  The computer was already running on a home page.  Mandy  logged in her user id and  password.  She found that she only had four e mails while she was gone.  She was disappointed.  She had been gone for ten weeks and only have a few messages, all from her friend on earth.  She had no messages from her brother, she was supposed to have checked in with her by now..

“Where are you?” she whispered out loud.  She hadn’t heard from her older brother in three months now.  He had gone off to work on a crew of a trading company, better pay, he had told her.  Now she hadn’t heard anything from him.  She was growing worried.  That was one of the reasons for the transfer.  She couldn’t find much out about him if she stayed behind a desk in a military base.  Here at Aires, she could start getting word out that she was looking for him.

Before getting totally consumed into her depression, the door to the apartment opened.   Davy walked in.  Dressed in tan pants and a colorful tan tunic, his looked liked he had achieved a prize for the evening.  He had a shit eating grin like he got the whole desert.

Davy didn’t notice Mandy sitting at the computer desk in the corner.  She watched him, looking to see what he would do.

He walked over to the kitchen and pulled out a bottle of water.  He opened it, sounding like he was humming a tune, as he walked around.  Micky had been right, he did sound like he had a good voice. 

“Computer?” Davy asked in a musical lilt that carried his accent heavily.

“Yes, Davy?” the computer answered.

“I wish to schedule a wake up call for ten.  I need to meet Brian at eleven to pick up some goods.”

“Noted.”

He seemed satisfied with that and  headed to the left door on the first floor, the room below Micky’s. 

Mandy  watched him go to his room.  “A little self absorbed is in it he?” Mandy asked to herself.

“One of these day’s his inability to see what is around him will be his undoing.” the computer commented. 

Mandy looked down at the computer screen which now had a form of a female animated.  “Nice to meet you.” Mandy said.

“I’m Sarah.” she introduced herself, “I help take care of these guys.”

“Seems like a full time job.”

“It is.” she laughed.  “Mike added you as an associated program.  You have the same levels of clearance and assistance as the others.”

“Thank you.” Mandy sat back in the chair looking at the screen.  “So what is there to do around here at 4 AM?”

“You are not allowed out of the pad unless you have an escort.” Sarah told her.

“Who said that?”

“I did.” Mike’s form came in on the screen.  “Thank you Sarah.”

“You’re welcome.” she answered and disappeared off the screen.

Mike looked into his camera.  “Good morning.” he told her.

“Good morning.”

“I told Sarah to buzz me if you woke up before I got home.”

Mandy looked at him.  He was dressed in a green t shirt for military work. He looked to be sitting at a desk.

“Third shift, you got to love it.” he commented.

“Someone has to do it.”

“How was your sleep?”

“Good.  I feel good.  And my arm looks great, you can’t even tell that it was hurt.”

“Glad to hear that.  It was a nasty wound.  You two need to tell me what happened there.”

Mandy shook her head.  “If you had done recon work, then you know what happened.”

Mike nodded in understanding.  “Sorry no body is up to be with you.”

“Davy just walked through but never noticed me.”

“He has a tendency to have a one tracked mind.  I’ll be in about two hours.  Sarah will take care of you.”

“That is what she was just telling me.”

“See you in a little while.  By the way, like the shirt.” Mike logged off. 

Sarah came back onto the screen.  “I think he likes you.”

“I never knew a computer that was so emotional.”

“New wave technology.  Mike keeps upgrading my system when something comes out.”

Mandy looked around the room again.   “Maybe a snack will help.” she said out loud.

“The cabinets are full.  Mike stocked up before Micky arrived.  He eats non stop for a week.”

“I understand that feeling.  Rations only go so far.”  Mandy walked over to the kitchen and started looking through the cabinets and fridge.  She pulled out ham and cheese to make a sandwich.

“No one had dibs on the food do they?” Mandy asked.

“All is available.  The guys share nicely, most of the time.  I’ll tell you if you hit a sensitive spot.”

“Thanks.”  Mandy made a sandwich and looked around for some chips.  She found a bag and added them to her plate. 

“Where is the television?”

“Go sit in the sunken room.”

Mandy moved off to sit on the furry sofa that Davy had been sitting on when she first arrived..  A screen raised itself out of the floor beyond it out of the floor. 

“Impressive.” Mandy commented

“Any preference?” Sarah asked.

“News, Let’s catch up on what has been going on.”

Sarah switched the tv to SNN.  Mandy listened to the follow up of news about Earth and some of the major planets that were now colonized.  Mandy finished her meal quickly.  She hadn’t realized how nice it was to eat real food.

She continued to watch the news in entertainment, with new movie releases and music.   Mandy got comfortable on the sofa and started nodding off, listening to the commentary on how music had gone retro.

Once Mandy had fallen asleep, Sarah lowered the lights and the volume of the tv, to let her sleep till Mike came in from work.

 

Day 4

Mike came home at five in the morning.  Sarah raised the lights to half maximum when he came in.  He looked to see that Mandy had fallen asleep on the fuzzy couch.

Mandy did notice the change and started to stir awake.  She moved from her side to her back and opened her eyes.  She saw Mike looking in on her from the main floor.

“Napping?” he joked.

Mandy stood up.  “I guess the news put me to sleep.”

Mike nodded.  “It does the same thing to me.”  He looked to see that SNN was still on.  “Sarah, put on cartoon network, that will living up the mood.”

The screen changed channels instantly, showing Bugs Bunny on the screen.

Mandy moved to be on the main floor with Mike.  She looked him over, seeing that he did have the traditional army garb on: boots, fatigue pants and green t shirt.

She looked back at the screen and laughed when Bugs Bunny started doing the hoe down with two country hick folk.  “That is a classic,” she laughed.

“That’s better.” Mike agreed.  He reached for her arm and inspected the area that he had treated two days earlier.  “Looking good.”

“Thank you.  I totally forgot to tell you thank you when treated it.”

“Space lag.  You and Micky were dead tired.”  Mike turned and headed towards the kitchen.  “Do you cook any?”

“I can get by with the basics.”

“Peter will be up in a little while.  You can start the bacon and I’ll work on the biscuits.”  He started pulling items out of the fridge and turning on the stove and oven.  He handed a skillet and bacon to Mandy who went to the far counter next to the stove.  She started to lay strips of bacon the skillet.  Mike started measuring flour and cutting in butter, then adding milk.  She had several strips laid out on the skillet starting to cook.  Mike flatttened out the mix and started folding the dough. He started humming a song. 

Mandy thought it sounded cool .  “What’s that you are humming?”

“Oh, that was Daydream Believer, one of the songs we play in the band.”

“I like it.”  She started flipping the bacon before it burned on one side.

“What music do you like?” Mike asked while he cut out the biscuits from the dough, placing them on a cookie sheet.

“Syncopation but I like classic rock  too, almost anything that can be danced to.”

“That’s our stuff.” Mike placed the sheet in the oven and started breaking eggs to scramble.

Peter emerged from his door dressed but looking half asleep.  Mike poured a cup of coffee and held it out to him when he walked over to them. 

“Morning sunshine.” Mike told Peter.  The only comment was a scowl on Peter’s face.

Peter sat down at the table, waiting for the first cup of coffee to do the job of waking him up.  “He doesn’t wake up well if it is before noon,” Mike explained to Mandy.

Peter was dressed in tan slacks and a polo shirt that had the Aires emblem on it.

Mike looked over to Peter and noticed something missing.  “Where your glasses?”

Peter looked at Mike like he had two heads then remembered what the question was.  “Left them on my desk yesterday.  I realized it when I has half way home.”

“Just checking.” 

Mike poured himself a cup of a coffee. “Want some?” he asked Mandy.

“No.  Milk sounds good though.”

“We stock it for Micky.”  Mike looked in the fridge and pulled out a single bottle for her. 

“Thanks.”  She took a long swig.

A few minutes later, with three plates stocked with biscuits, eggs and bacon, they sat down to eat their breakfast.

Peter slowly woke up with the warmth of the coffee and the food.  “How long are you working today?” Mike asked.

Peter thought for a moment, “I have two hours in the office and four to six back down here in the storage level.  We are working the grid on deck three.  Hoping to get a few aparmtments made in there over the next few weeks.”

“Nieighbors?” Mike asked.

“On the other side of the station.  I’m keeping us serpeate for as long as we can.”

“Why?” Mandy asked.

“People won’t complain when we practice, which we have on the schedule for tonight.  Sam wants us to play for a few days this coming week.  We need to get a few practices in since Micky is home.”

Peter nodded. From his pocket he brought out his palm computer and tapped it in.  “Eight o’clock?”

Mike nodded.  “Micky should be up by afternoon.”

Peter got up and took his dishes to the sink.  “It’s going to be nice to have him back.”  Peter looked to Mandy, “Glad you helped bring him back in one piece.”

Mandy looked puzzled by that comment.  Mike expalined, “Micky seems to be the one that takes the most risk on the missions.  Peter is just saying that finally he took a newbie on that didn’t get him hurt to much.”

“Well, we kept each other intune this time around.  We had a few moments but we did preaty good together.”

“Peter,” Sarah announced, ”It’s time to get moving.”

“Thanks Sarah, I’m going.”  Peter headed towards the door.  “Thanks for breakfast.  See you tonight.”

The door closed behind him, leaving Mike and Mandy to themselves once more.

“Sometimes, I think he is lost to the world, but then he has his moments.”  Mike commented out loud in regards to his blond friend. 

Mike returned to finish eating his breakfast. He  looked over at Mandy.  “For the first few days, you might want to go out with one of us, till you get used the the station.  I know that you are a ranger and you can handle yourself, but this place a few areas that I would avoid, and they aren’t marked that well.”

“Taking me under your wing Mike?” Mandy joked with him.

“Anyone who stays here gets the treatment,” he told her.

They finished their food and took their dishes to the sink.  Mike started the water to wash the dishes and Mandy took up position to dry.  They had the kitchen cleaned up in less than ten minutes.

Mike looked around the place and saw told himself that everything looked like it was in place.  “Time for bed. Need to get my six hours in before I drop,.” he announced.

“Have a good sleep.” Mandy told him cheerfully.

“I’ll try to.”

“Maybe Davy will let me tag along with him when you goes out the morning.”

“I would be careful.  Davy has a tendancy to go places that even I wouldn’t go.” Mike told her. 

“You don’t seem to scare that easy.” Mandy replied

“I don’t scare easy, that’s how I survived five years on patrol.” he said.  “But living in some places on the station is like the worst back alley on Earth.  And for some reason, Davy gets along with most people on this station, it’s his personality flaw.”

“I’ll take that under advisement.”

Mike walked over to the stairs and slowly climbed them to the second floor and entered his room.

Mandy once again looked around the room.  It was still a few hours before Davy would get up. “Sarah?  Is there anything to do around this place?”  She was starting to get bored.

“There is a musical room and an exercise room if you would like to indulge in that.”

Excercise, that was the ticket.  She could use a little time working out.  Sarah opened a door beyond the kitchen.  Inside were different appartatius that were used from weight training to toning.   “There are work out videos if you wish.” Sarah told her.

“I need a general start up video.”  Mandy went to the far wall that had a work out bar and several mirrors.  She couldn’t believe that the guys would have thought of this room.  “Who designed this room?”

“Micky.  Do you want a male or female instructor?”

“Male. Usually they were beef-cake men that you can’t keep your eyes off of.”  Mandy stripped her shirt off.  She wore a sports bra underneath. 

“Refreshing.” Sarah said. “Micky has a few favorites that just irk me to death.  They 5'5" slim blond with high breasts and perfect buns.  He loves them.”

“So Micky is a fitness freak.”

“They all are, but Micky is the regular.  He had a bad accident on one of his first missions, back had to be redone.  On of the orders was to work out daily to strengthen his back.”

“Bummer.  Must have been a bad accident.”

“Micky is better because of it.” Sarah told her. 

The screen above the mirrors started showing a beginning of a routine.  Mandy started doing stretching excercises with the instructor.  She worked out for forty five minutes with the video.  She was in good shape, considering being in the field.   She had kept up with all the steps and motions

Mandy returned to Micky’s room.  She needed to take another shower.  She pulled out a set of fatigues and went into the bathroom.  She showered once more and dressed in her camouflage pants and a green t shirt.  She hated wearing green beyond necessity.  She needed some fun clothes and everyday clothes.  Maybe she could talk Davy into taking her with him so she could pick up a few items.  She had to leave a majority of her stuff behind till she could find a place to settle in to.

Mandy returned to living room.  She decided to do some research on the computer to see if she find out if her brother’s ship had passed through the station and more information about the owner of the freighter business.  She would work on that till Davy emerged from his room.

 

Day 5



Mandy had worked at the computer for sometime till she ran out of leads on her train of thought.  She had to find someone that could talk to someone about ships that docked at the station.  She would ask the guys about that later. 

After giving up on that she went back to the pit and started scanning the channels on the television.

At twenty after ten Davy emerged from his room.  He was dressed in a colorful tunic that was background of white and white pants.  She wouldn’t mind finding out what he looked under that tunic, but that would have to be explored later.

Davy notice the tv on and looked down to see Mandy.  “Hello love, glad to see you up.”

“Good morning Davy.”

Davy went tothe kitchen and looked through the fridge to see what he could find to eat for a fast breakfast.. 

Mandy got up from the couch and walked over to him in the kitchen.  “Any chance I could go top side with you?”

Davy looked over his shoulder at her.  “Getting a bit antsy already?”

“Honselty, I would like to buy a few things.  I don’t have many clothes beyond the uniform.” she looked down at herself.

Davy looked her over.  He liked the tight fitting t shirt showing off her assets quite well, but he could understand that green could be a bit a drag to wear all the time.  “I can understand that.  Sure, you can tag along.  I don’t have much, I have one appointment but I can leave you at the bistro for that then we can have lunch.”

Davy stood up and asked “Are you ready?”

“Yup. I have some cash and a I have my cash card.”

“Sarah, when the others wake up, let them know that I have taken the sweet Mandy with me.”

“Yes, Davy.”

They headed left the pad and headed towards the elevator core.  Mandy tried to follow the turns back to the elevator bank and again had already mentally got herself lost.  “How do you remember the turns and where?”

“Practice.  When we first moved in we had tracer arrows on the walls.”  They apporached the elevators and saw MARKO on guard.

“Hello MARKO,” Davy said cheeriflly.

“Hello David. Mandy.”

An elevator opened and they stepped in.  “Bazaar.” Davy called out for the level they wanted

The elevator started down.

“I’ll hang with you till I have to go to my appointment, then I’ll take you to a bistro to wait for me.” Davy explained.  “Anything particular you are looking for?”

“Clubbing clothes.  I had to leave most of my stuff in storage till I get settled but that will take forever to get to here. “

“What type of clubbing, there is general or others?”

Mandy smiled at him, “I’m into syncopation, but the trendy side of it.”

“Member of Madame X?”  Madame X was the cover name of special clubs that allowed almost anything to happen.  He and the guys were members of the club themselves.  They like the inhibitions that it offered.  They partied hard at the clubs on the station.

“Platinum card.” she answered.

Davy was impressed, to have platinum was to know someone in the higher up ownership.  They had gold cards.  “I have a few places I can take you too.  Friends of mine so the prices will be reasonable.”

The elevator came to a stop and the doors opened.  The reception area was filled with people.  Davy took her hand.  “Keep hold, it can be a bit overwelming.”

Following Davy through the people into the bazaar.  People tried to pan handle items as they went by.  Davy shock them off with ease.  Davy came a stall and pulled Mandy in with him.

The stall was filled with leather items, ranging from purses to leather wear. 

“You like?” he asked.

Mandy gave him a smile.  “This can be interesting.”

“Go shop.  I’ll chat up the seller.  He is a friend of mine and loves to talk.  There is a section towards the back where you can try things on.”

Mandy went looking theough the stall looking at different items that were so tempting.  Mandy picked up a few items and headed towards the back.  She had found a leather halter and mini skirt.  It flattered her figure.  She would get those and a few accessories that she didn’t dare bring with her on for military housing.   Mandy picked up a few accessories that she had eyed when she first came in the stall.  Davy gave her a smile when he saw the items down on the table before the stall owner.  The stall owner tallied up the items and gave a price.  Then Davy started talking with the owner and lowered the purchase price to half.  Mandy paid the man in cash. 

The stall owner commented that she had a good eye for outfits. 

They went to two other stalls and did the same.  He chat up the owner while she shopped freely without being hassled.    They made their way to a bistro where Davy sat her down at a table.  “I’ll be about fifteen minutes.  Just need to meet up with my bloke to settle a few things, then I’ll right back.  Order up some tea and we’ll order lunch when I get back.”

About ten minutes later, Mandy was sipping on her tea watching the different sellers try to get passerby’s to buy their wares. 

Then she felt odd, several men came around, with one sitting oppoiste her and two on either side of her stood, blocking her view of her surroundings.

“Excuse me? I don’t remember anyone asking if they could sit there.” Mandy said politely.

“A spirited little gal,” the man sitting before her said.  He looked to be 30ish with a dark tan to his body, dressed in a mesh shirt, he showed his body piercings and tattoos off.  Mandy looked at the men around her, they were dressed in a similar state.

“Spirited, yes, little gal, I don’t think.  So what do I owe the pleasure?”  She knew that Davy would be back soon. She could draw this out for a few minutes she hoped.

“You looked to cool to be sitting alone.” the man explained to her.

“I’m expecting company in a few minutes.”

“That little deeb is not company, he’s out scoring.” he said with indifference. 

Mandy thought, okay this man knows Davy and I seem to have stepped into something that I have know nothing about.   “Anyway, I’m expecting him back in a few minutes if you don’t mind.”

“I do mind.  You are too good looking to be left alone in a place like this.  Something could happen to you in an instant.”

  The two closest men started to make a move to hold her shoulders.  Mandy stood up quickly and gave a punch to the gut to her left.  To the right she hit him in nose before they could react further.  The next two took however took action.  One kicked her from behind while the other went to hold her by her arms.  She got turned to face the kicker, and got kicked once more in the gut herself.  Though she had taken the kick, Mandy used the position to kick up at the man in front of her.  Then using the momentum of her landing her feet, she over threw the one holding her arms.   In the end, she remained standing, short of breath.  She looked at the man still sitting at the table.

The sitting man stood up, “Very good, you handle yourself well.”

Davy came up behind him.  “Enrique, what are you doing?”

“Just enjoing a few moments with your friend here.”

“Looks like she doesn’t like your company.”  Davy took a look around, watching the four men pick themselves up off the floor.

“I was just keeping her company till your return my friend.”

“You are not a friend.” Davy snapped back at him.  He picked up Mandy’s bag off the extra chair.  Davy offered his hand to Mandy and she took it.  They walked through the bistro then broke into a run when they got into the bazaar.  Davy held on tight to Mandy’s hand while they made their way back to the elevators.  Thy didn’t have to wait long for a car to take them to the storage areas.

Once inside the car, Davy relaxed.  He looked to Mandy who moved her hands to hold her stomach.  She had bypassed the issue of being hurt with the adrenaline rush she had with fighting with the four men, now it hit her that she was hurt.

“You’re hurt.” Davy went over to her.

“One of them got a kick in.  Think he had a steel toed boot.” 

“But you held up there, you didn’t look hurt in front of Enrique.”

“A speciality of mine, I can keep injuries at bay with my adrenaline rush.” she gasped out.  The pain was getting worse.

 

 

@ 2005 Tommy Boy fan fiction * design and content by Paula C. *