Text Box: Tommyboy's Fan Fiction
The Monkees

 

                 


I Am Thankful for




Mike had set the alarm for eight. He had a lot of cooking to do. It was Thanksgiving Day. Mike beat the alarm up, turning it off so not disturb in room mate, Micky. Mike got up and gathered his clothes. He went to the bathroom and showered, dressing in jeans and a button shirt.

Mike made his way downstairs and started the coffee first. While the coffee started to perk, he pulled out the recipes that the guys wanted to eat for dinner.

This was their third year together. Mike had asked them to let him know what their favorite dishes were. Each one wrote home for the recipe and their family responded along with cards of telling them how much they were missed.

Mike had his own card in his hand with the recipe of apple pie. His Aunt Kate had sent him a card expressing how she wished he would make it back to Texas soon.

He read through the card and saw a line that he was glad to read. "I am thankful that you have found something you love to do and that you have found your place."

Mike did think that he should be thankful for finding his music and finding his place in a group that he loved. Oh they got his goat more than once and he thought he was raising three little boys, but they cared for each other.

Mike finally brought himself out of his day dreaming and started looking once more at the cards that held his friends special dishes. He would do his best to make it a good meal for them all.

** ** ** **

Later that morning, Peter sat in his room, on his bed strumming in guitar. He could smell the turkey that Mike was cooking for Thanksgiving dinner. Mike had them invite a few people that they knew that didn't have family in the area like them. Mike had asked him earlier what he was thankful for. And with out hesitation, he told him their friendship.
"I moved around a lot growing up. Then when we settle in Connecticut, I still felt out of place. I wanted to play my music. Not many people understood me. Here I have three friends that support me and encourage me in my music and support me, even if I do something stupid." Peter explained to Mike.

Simple and to the point, Peter thought. Just a simple thanks of friendship was what he had.

** ** ** **

Davy woke with a restlessness. He dressed and decided to take a walk on the beach. He stopped off in the kitchen to see Mike, with his apron on, working on the pie. "Never figured you a house mum." Davy commented.
Mike just gave a nod. It was one of his labels from the guys, like Pap Nez, or mother hen. But h liked it.

"Where you off too?" Mike asked while Davy headed for the back door.

"To take a walk. I won't be long." and out the door he went.

Davy started walking towards the barrier. He knew his restlessness came from his card from his sister. He was missing home. Occasionally he had the feelings of wanting to be back in England. Seeing his sisters, and grandfather, the smells. But this time around it wasn't as strong for him. For he had family here. Mike, Micky and Peter were his family.

Davy started remembering how they helped him when his grandfather came to visit. The numerous times that Davy picked a girl that was in dire need of help. They came through.

"Yes, I am thankful for them." he said out loud looking out towards the horizon of water before him. "I am thankful to be there for them."



** ** ** ** **

Micky woke up to the smell of turkey and stuffing. Micky slowly rolled onto his back thinking of the great meal that Mike was preparing for them. He remembered when mike was looking at the calendar working on scheduling when he saw that Thanksgiving was coming up.

"Guys, lets make it special this year. Let me know what your favorite dishes are, and we'll see about making them for the dinner."

Everyone agreed to that. They each wrote home and waited for the responses back. Micky got a recipe back for his favorite cranberry mold. With the recipe was a card that his mother had written. Micky pulled it out from under his pillow and reread it, though by now, he knew it by heart.

There isn't much to say, you are grown up
and all your own. But I am thankful my
son that you are happy. I hear it on the
phone and in your letters. That happiness
is from your friends and your music.
Keep well and safe. Look forward to seeing
you and your friends near Christmas.

Your Mom

Micky was happy to see that his mother had seen it, that he was happy. "Yes mom, I'm happy and thankful for my friends."
From down stairs he heard Mike. "Micky, I need your help buddy."

Micky rolled out of bed and started dressing. It was his turn to make the family secret, the cranberry mold.

** ** ** **

The dinner was spread out before them on the table. They had invited a few friends that were also alone in California. "No one should be alone on Thanksgiving," Peter had said.

Each person took a plate and they walked around the table adding tidbits of the meal that Mike had prepared along with the covered dishes that others had brought.
They settled sitting in a circle of the living room on the couches, chairs and floors. Before eatting however, Mike wanted to say something, especially to his three close friends.

"Today is a day to say thanks. And it came to me this morning that I have one thing to say."

Peter, Micky and Davy looked at each other.

"When I was out walking, I thought about it too." Davy mentioned.

"Earlier, in my room I was thinking." Peter added.

"After I woke up, I was thinking. . ." Micky put in.

Each one of them said in unison, "I am thankful for your friendship." Each gave a quiet smile. They sometimes thought alone the same lines, and this was one of them. They felt connected at these times.

With that they dug into their holiday meal that for once wasn't burnt, overdone, or underdone.


~~ finish ~~

 

@ 2005 Tommy Boy fan fiction * design and content by Paula C. *