Text Box: Tommyboy's Fan Fiction
The Sentinel

 

                 

What is Normal

 



How could things go wrong when going out to enjoy an evening with friends? Why did things always happen to him?  All it was was a simple night out during winter break before going back to the grind of school.  Things were never simple for him.

Blair parked his car in its normal space before the apartment house.  He didn't know what to do next.  Going up to the apartment, he knew he would have Jim down on him so hard.  Whether for coming home in the condition he was in alone, or for getting into the condition and not calling him for help.  It sucked having a cop for a roommate and lover.

Easing out of the car he stumbled twice before getting inside the building and to the elevator.  Man his side hurt.  He hit the button for the third floor and rested against the elevator wall. For once the elevator was working.  He was so not looking forward in walking up the stairs in his condition.

Leaning against the elevator as it moved up, he wondered when was he going to learn.  Probably never, he answered himself.  He hadn't noticed the signs that he was going to be ambushed.  He had been enjoying himself at the club with his friends. 

Finally, the door to the elevator opened to his floor.  Stepping out, he walked to his door and pulled out his keys once more.  His hand was shaking.  “Damn,” he muttered.  One try, two tries, finally the key made it into the hole on the third.  Slowly he entered the apartment, waiting for any comments he would hear from his roommate.  Nothing.  With a small sigh of relief, he continued into the apartment.  He looked across the living room then up to the loft.

Dropping his keys into the basket, he moved into the room.  On the coffee table was a note.

Chief,

Got called in on a stake out last minute, went with Rafe.  Be home sometime during the night.  Don't wait up.

Jim.

Blair nodded.  Relief flooded him but disappointment too.  Jim would of taken care of him if he had been there, but he wasn't there.  Now he was on his own to take care of himself.  With a sigh, he decided to take a shower, see how bruised up he was, then head to bed.

Stepping into his room he found a t-shirt and clean boxers.  He headed to the bathroom and waited for the shower to warm up.  Slowly he started to strip his clothes, first the flannel, then the t-shirt, then his jeans.  He looked in the mirror, assessing the damage: a bruise to the side of his face was already coming to the surface, his arms showed where one of his attackers had held him tightly.  On his stomach redness showed where he was punched, soon there would be bruising there too.  Turning from the mirror, he stepped into the warm water, trying to momentarily forget what had happened.

Feeling a bit better, Blair headed to the kitchen to brew up his herbal tea for his headache.  He filled the kettle with fresh water and turned on the range.  He rummaged in the cabinet that held his teas.  Drawing the box he wanted, he opened it to find one tea bag left.  One would not be enough to get him through the night.

Taking the last bag, he picked up the phone, hoping Jim turned off his cell so he could leave a message for him to get later.  Jim was good about checking his cell before leaving for home.  Many times he had left messages about running out of something, or at least stating he was home.

Dialing Jim's cell phone, he waited for the customary voice mail message.  It rang four times and Jim answered.  “Ellison.”

Shocked to have him answer, Blair took a moment to reply back.  “Jim ... you answered your phone.”

“That's what normal people do Chief, answer the phone when it rings.”

“I mean you're on a stake out.”

“I had it on vibe,” Jim explained.

“Oh.”

“I take it you're home.”

“Yeah, hope you are having more fun than I am.” Blair commented but realizing he opened himself up to more questions with that remark.

“If sitting in a dimly lit street seeing if a punk ass shows up for a drop is fun, you can have it.  So what's up Chief?”

Blair sighed that Jim hadn't pick up on his comment.  “On your way home, can you pick up some Tae-men tea?  The all night drug store on Victoria Street carries it.  It's the stuff that comes in that red and yellow box you poke fun at.”   

“Drink to much?”

Blair blew air out between his teeth, “Headache,” he answered.  “I just took the last bag I had.”

“I'll be home in a few hours.  I'll get some before I get home.”

“Thanks man.”

“Go make yourself comfortable.  The ice packs are in the freezer from last time.”

Last time he had a migraine or last time he was hurt, he wondered which episode Jim was referring to.  “Sure thing.”

“See you in a little while.”

Blair hung up the phone after Jim cut the line.  Without thinking, Blair pulled out two gel packs and headed for his room.  He looked down at his normal bedding, thinking the futon was not going cut it for the night.  Grabbing his pillow and pulling his comforter behind him he went back out to the couch.  He laid down feeling the lull of sleep pulling at him.  He hurt but the tea was dulling the aches and pains.

** ** **


Jim took the stairs.  When Blair didn’t lecture him on the phone, he knew something was wrong.  Blair loved to talk for the sake of talking.  The only time he didn't was when he was seriously hurting.  A migraine was something that Blair suffered on a regular basis but Jim could tell something was off.

Stopping at the door, he located Blair's heartbeat.  It wasn't in his room but in the living room, beating steady.  He was asleep.  Slowly unlocking the door, Jim entered.  Blair was asleep on the couch, his back to the room.  For having a migraine that was not Blair's normal MO.  He walked over and looked down at his fuzzy haired roommate. Dialing up his sense of touch he held his hand above the sleeping man, finding different hot spots from his head to abdomen. 

“Chief...” Jim said with a sigh.  “One of these days you will be the death of me.”

Jim went upstairs to the loft and changed clothes.  Finding a pair of sweats he returned to the living room.  Settling into the overstuffed chair, he raised his feet to the coffee table and went to sleep listening to the soft beating of Blair's heart.

** ** **

Waking up was something Blair didn't want to do.  He didn't feel anything when he was asleep.  Now the bruises and aches returned ten fold in intensity.

With a moan he scooted to lie on his back on the couch.  The room was starting to fill with light of the new day.  What day was it, he thought for a moment.  Sunday.  No place to go.  Thank god, whatever one was prevalent for the day for him.  Next he saw Jim looking down at him.

“Nice bruise you got there Chief.”

Without denying it, Blair slowly sat up on the sofa, dropping his legs over. 

Handing Blair a cup of warm tea, Jim sat down in the chair that he had napped in.  Watching Blair take a few sips of the tea, he nodded.

“Thanks.  I wasn't looking forward in trying to get more last night.”

“What happened?”

Blair shrugged.  He brought his legs up to sit in lotus position on the couch, with his comforter wrapped around him.  “Someone decided that they wanted to have some fun I guess.  Bash the hippie?”

“You think that?”

“I was at a normal club last night, had fun with some friends of both sexes.  I was heading out to my car when someone came up behind me and grabbed me.  The other took a few punches at me till I was able to use some of those moves you taught me.  I'm just a little bruised here and there.”

“Why didn't you call me?”

“It was only a few punches, I didn't get a good look at them.  They picked themselves up after I got my shots in.  Nothing to do other than get home, home to you.”

Jim moved from his chair to the sofa.  “You should have told me, I would have come home.”  Taking Blair into his arms, Jim held his Guide to him.

“You were on duty.  I'm okay.  Nothing broken.  Just coping with the pain, that's all.”

Jim sat back and pulled Blair to lie down again. “Next time call, that's what the cell phone is for you know.”

“I'll do my best.”

Jim shook his head, and laughed.  “Try.” 

Blair settled a little, resting his head in Jim's lap.  Jim started to massage his scalp, bringing calm to him. 

“Close your eyes Chief.  Lets get some more sleep before it becomes a full day.”

Blair closed his eyes, enjoying the ministrations of Jim's fingers.  With a small smile, Blair fell asleep.


 

 

@ 2005 Tommy Boy fan fiction * design and content by Paula C. *