First Line Meme

10/19/2016 Posted by walterh

Rules: List the first lines of your last 20 stories. See if there are any patterns. Then tag 10 of your favorite authors!

If your sentence comes from something published on Tumblr, AO3, Fanfiction.net, etc., link to it! Never pass up an opportunity to shamelessly promote yourself share.

Tagged by @Popkin16

  1. Zach is so nervous as he stands outside the front door, that he thrust his hands into his pockets.
  2. Rodney yawned as he stepped off of the ‘jumper and back onto the deck of Atlantis.
  3. They had spent two weeks in the 1959 timeline before John realized the significance of not only where he was, but when he was.
  4. After the plane crashed and things finally settled down, Owen found himself hanging around Danny more and more.
  5. John dismounts and ties Eula to the porch rail, checking the water level in the trough with a glance.
  6. Some had said that the cruel fate of those PDS sufferers, cured now and reentering society, was that they no longer slept.
  7. Martha hears the trudge of fatigued footfalls going up the staircase as she sits down to finish her breakfast.
  8. In all her time working with Steve and Danny, there hadn’t been a word about them dating.
  9. Senator Lauren Platt stands next to Timothy’s chair, hand firmly planted on his shoulder and talking to him in a slow, calm voice when Donald walks in. “Senator,” Donald says.
  10. From the moment Captain Jack Harkness had stepped onto Atlantis, the TARDIS (which Jack had said he’d borrowed, though he never said if The Doctor knew one way or the other) stood out on the east pier, and Jack seemed to come and go as he pleased.
  11. Evan Christopher Lorne!
  12. Barry absently runs his hand over the cold sheets, where Oliver’s warm body was supposed to be.
  13. Claudia thought her birthday celebration couldn’t get any better.
  14. Rodney looked at John like he’d suddenly sprouted a second head, and maybe another arm.
  15. Rodney was having a perfectly nice dream that involved Sam Carter and John Sheppard doing unspeakable – but fun – things to his body when there was something that ripped him out of REM sleep and into the present.
  16. After the message for Sumner’s relatives was recorded and the stream of data sent through the Stargate back to SGC, John’s nerves were on edge.
  17. Evan Lorne was the consummate professional in the kitchen; when it came to chefs, he was in the top of his field.
  18. There’s a gentle knock at the door, though Rodney’s awake in an instant.
  19. Todd enters the jewelry shop, his hand shaking lightly and the feeling of butterflies in his stomach.
  20. Barry thought was quite certain about his feelings for Leonard Snart.

There’s like 7 or 8 fandoms mixed in there… Dang!  But this also shows that I need to write more…  And now I nominate – ANYONE!  I’m bad at this kind of stuff, so if you want to do this, please consider yourself nominated!

Crosspost Testing

10/19/2016 Posted by walterh

Testing this to see if it will work.

Here, have a kitty!

How’s My Diet?

09/08/2016 Posted by walterh

In order to keep me honest, and going forward on my weight loss journey, here’s what my diet progress looks like.

MFP Ticker

MFP Weight Loss Ticker

I gotta do something…

11/17/2014 Posted by walterh

I’ve been ignoring my weight for the last dozen years. And while being fat sucks, it really hasn’t been that bad healthwise.

But the last year, I’ve been battling high blood pressure. Like 180/122 ranges when I was at the dentist on Friday. It’s time to do something.

I’m going to see a doc about my BP on Friday. But that’s only treating the symptoms, not a long term fix. Weight loss is the long term fix.

I had this weird idea of going slow. Don’t think that I need to lose 75 pounds. Think that my goal right now is 5%. Since my weight this morning was 260.2, that means my goal right now is to focus on losing 13 pounds.

13 pounds is doable. I can do it!

Hey #Grimm Execs! Don’t “Yoko” The Band!

12/22/2013 Posted by walterh

So I’ve watched Grimm almost from the beginning; starting the second or third episode, I was hooked.  And what’s not to like?  Great leads, excellent chemistry, and good stories.  They even played into the whole Nick/Monroe thing a little bit early on, which was really funny.

But ever since the start of this season, things have changed.  Drastically.  The dynamic used to be that it was Nick & Monroe, coming together to fight the big bad Wesen.  And then they brought Hank into it, and even had the whole thing with Captain Renard.  Pretty cool.

And then they started off Season 3 with Nick as a zombie.  They inserted Juliette and Rosalee – hard.  They’ve basically made this a “couples only show”, and have pretty much separated Nick and Monroe, so that it’s now the Nick & Juliette and Monroe & Rosalee show – with a side of Hank.  Or maybe a little bit of snarky Wu.

They’ve basically Yoko’d the band.

Take the latest couple of episodes.  Nick and Hank or Nick and Hank and Juliette in the trailer, relegating Monroe to being at home, and any investigation is now a “group effort”.  When you’ve got two people playing off of each other, it comes off like it’s genuine.  But when you’ve got four or five people “investigating” – over dinner or such – it’s just…contrived.  That’s the only word that comes to mind.

Maybe that’s what the executives want.  But it’s not what us viewers want.  We got into the fandom because of the dynamic between Nick & Monroe.  But now we’re questioning that, because it’s now a little less dark, and a little less about a buddy crime drama.  It’s now a more “family friendly” and “Hey, those guys shouldn’t be in too many scenes together – let’s throw some girls into the mix” show.  And if it keeps up, I’m not sure if I’m going to want to stay.

People don’t listen to homophobes – unless they’re Clergy

12/17/2012 Posted by walterh

This is ultimately frustrating for me. People who are racists are shut down and aren’t given the time of day (as a rule).  The only time they’re trotted out is honestly when they’re going to be shown for the idiotic, neanderthal-like reasoning.  Misogynists are treated the same way.  Are they trotted out and shown on the major news networks for any credible reason?  Nope.

So why are homophobes listened to?  Specifically Clergy homophobes.

We all saw the horrible situation that happened in Connecticut this past Friday.  And as a people, we came together, shed some tears, and raged against the maniac who took the lives of innocents.

What do major clergy come out and say?  That it’s because of “gay marriage” and “abortion” that the shooting happened.

Seriously – why are people given a stage to say these horrible, mean things?  And, to paraphrase a wonderful person I know, what kind of god would kill 26 people, including 20 children, just because two people come together to want to declare their love for one another, and be legally protected like every other married couple?

This is beyond sick.

A new endeavor

06/23/2012 Posted by walterh

Okay, so as if I didn’t already have enough to do, I’m doing a podcast now! It’s been a lot of fun so far, but it’s probably not about what you’d expect to hear from me. See, back when I was 7 or 8 years old and every other kid wanted to be a fireman, ballerina, or astronaut, I wanted to be a an NTSB airline crash investigator.  Yeah, I know – I’m weird.

Anyway, if you want to check it out, it’s called CatastropheCast.com.  You can find the website at this link and listen to the podcasts there, or you can even search for “CatastropheCast.com” in the iTunes store and find my podcast there!  Or just click this linkiepoo.

testing post

06/23/2012 Posted by walterh

testing, please ignore

Obligatory “gays in the media” rant

10/13/2011 Posted by walterh

Okay, so here’s the thing.

According to a new study, the number of LGBT characters on television has decreased this year. Yes, not increased, decreased. That pretty much sucks!  I mean LGBT people make up a good percentage of the population (like 5-8%), so why aren’t there more characters on television?

But you know what’s worse?  When they’re on, and they’re offed.  Let me explain.

One of the last bastions of television is the realm of Sci Fi.  Gay characters “just aren’t done” in Sci Fi, really.  I mean with a few exceptions here and there, it’s just not done on mainstream shows.  Gene Roddenberry wanted it before he died; he promised in the 5th season of ‘The Next Generation’ that we’d see all sorts of people, including gay characters, interacting in their day-to-day lives.  But of course that never happened.

This year, SyFy decided to add a new character to Warehouse 13, their highest rated scripted show, people were thrilled.  I was thrilled.  The addition of Agent Jinks was perfect; he balanced Claudia out, while Mika and Pete had their own thing.  It was awesome.  But I always thought it weird that they never added Jinks to the opening credits.  Like WTF?  Maybe they’re testing the waters or something…

And then the writers killed him off.  Color me surprised.  ::facepalm::

Here’s what I want: A gay character on a show, that’s part of the show.  And you know what?  Their “gayness” is just one aspect of them.  Like Jinks.  He was gay, but it didn’t define him.  That’s how it should be.  Gay characters shouldn’t be “sidekicks” or “comedic entertainment” or the like.  They should just be.  What’s wrong with that?

Yes, Brokeback Mountain mountain was beautiful – but of course it ends with a gaybashing death and unrequited love.  Longtime Companion?  A movie about AIDS where half the cast dies.  Philadelphia?  Hell, Tom Hanks and Antonio Banderas don’t even fucking kiss!  And oh yeah – AIDS again.

So come on, media.  You can add a gay character.  And they don’t have to be comedic relief a la Jack McFarlane from Will & Grace.  They can just be.

Fic: Coming Down on Your Head – Hawaii Five-0 2010 – Steve/Danny – NC17

10/06/2011 Posted by walterh

“In here,” Danny calls to answer the knock.

Steve enters Danny’s apartment and looks around for his partner. “Sorry I missed Gra…” his voice trails off. “What are you doing?” he asks when he sees Danny’s legs jutting out from underneath a childlike structure made of a box fan, two chairs, and lots and lots of blankets.

Danny’s legs retreat into the fort, his face peeking out for a moment. “She took my blanket,” he says, then adds, “for this,” as he gestures to the structure.

Steve just smiles, shaking his head gently. “You know I have plenty of blankets at my house, Danny,” he offers.

“Yes,” comes the reply, then Danny ducks in for a second, pulling out a hard plastic doll wearing a shimmering yellow gown and tiara, “but this one is for Princess Christina.”

“Princess Christina, huh?” comes Steve’s reply. “She’d better not be in there making me jealous.” He leans down and grabs a kiss, then disappears for a second out of view, coming back moments later with the pillows from Danny’s bed. “There room for me in there?” he asks. Without waiting for a response, he crawls in, stealing another kiss along the way.

Settling on his back, he puts the second pillow next to him, patting it gently. Princess Christina is abandoned at the portcullis as Danny settles in next to his partner.

Danny lays on his side, his broad hand settling on the smooth fabric of Steve’s shirt. The pair shares a smile, then Danny leans in to kiss Steve; a kiss with a hint of tongue and previews of things to come. As he breaks off the kiss, Danny puts his head down on Steve’s shoulder, Steve wrapping his strong arms around him, snuggling close. And the pair sits quietly, just sharing the moment.

~*~*~
 
The men lay there, content to stay in the fort and touching, holding each other, relaxing as the afternoon continues to draw on until Danny’s stomach starts to protest. “You want a sandwich, babe?” he asks Steve.

“Naah… I’m good,” comes the reply.

“Yeah, okay,” Danny says, then starts to get up.

“Wait, wait,” Steve protests, then pulls Danny back down, grabbing a kiss. “Just a few minutes more,” he says through a yawn.

Danny leans into Steve, kiss after kiss pulling him further from sleep. He lets one hand roam, swallowing the moan Steve lets out as he runs his fingernails over the thin cotton shirt that covers Steve’s chest, teasing the nipple within.

Steve tries to overpower Danny, pulling him on top and settling him on his chest, Danny’s powerful thighs pushing Steve’s legs apart. He arches his back, grinding his cock into Danny’s, then grabs his partner’s ass. As Danny raises his head, Steve asks, “You wanna fuck me?”

Danny almost instantly shuts his eyes, images of Steve already filling his head. He leans down to claim Steve’s mouth, licking his way down the jawline and sucks on Steve’s neck while his hands make quick work of his pants and boxers, then starts on Steve’s, only stopping when Steve raises his hips, pushing his clothing off in one quick motion. Happily naked, he pulls Danny back on top of him.

With a quick kiss, Danny licks a trail down Steve’s chest, stopping to lap at Steve’s leaking cock appreciatively. He brings one finger to Steve’s ass, playing with the tight hole, barely getting the tip of his finger in. Between gasps, Steve says, “We, ummm… We may need some lube.”

“Yeah, I got this,” Danny says, then grins at his partner before grabbing Steve’s legs behind the knee, pushing his legs up, giving him access to Steve’s ass. With a mischievous look, he leans down, first biting the soft flesh of Steve’s ass before licking a trail from just behind Steve’s balls, stopping to lap at his hole.

As the sensation quickly causes gooseflesh across his body, Steve leans up. “Danny…” he says, eyes glazing over as Danny goes back, licking and sucking Steve’s ass. After three minutes of it, he’s mumbling incoherently as Danny continues the magic with his tongue, using a finger or two along the way. 

Danny raises up, and Steve can see his cock leaking liberally. “You ready for this?” he asks as he puts Steve’s legs on his shoulders, Steve’s only reply is a near constant, “Fuck me, Danny. Come on, fuck me already!” and an urgent pulling of Danny closer with his powerful runners legs.

It takes Danny a second to get them lined up, but he finally puts the head of his cock against Steve’s hole. He pushes in gently, feeling the head pop just past the ring but stopping as Steve catches his breath at the intrusion. When Steve lets out the breath, he leans down and claims Steves mouth as he starts to slowly piston his hips, letting his cock enter Steve fully, teasing his prostate over and over with each stroke.
 
Leaning back up, Danny bites at the knees since they’re closest, then leans down, biting Steve’s nipple before nibbling his way back up Steve’s jawline before reclaiming Steve’s mouth. His breath starts to come in short bursts, and Steve can feel Danny trembling above him, so he moves his hand to his cock, matching Danny’s thrusts stroke for stroke.

“You close, babe?” Danny asks, his eyes glassy. Steve is on so much sensory overload that all he can manage is a nod of his head.

After half a dozen strokes, Steve finally manages, “I’m gonna come, Danny,” and Danny raises back up, increasing his thrust, deliberately hitting Steve’s prostate rapidly and purposefully. As his orgasm starts to bubble up, Steve straightens his legs a bit and feels the coarseness of the blanet-fort’s roof against the bottoms of his feet. With another quick pull of his cock, Steve lets his orgasm overtake him, come spilling out his cock and collecting on his chest, puddling in the lines of his abs. 

Danny’s cock is squeezed by Steve’s orgasm and takes him to the breaking point. He leans up, thrusting Steve’s legs higher as he pounds into Steve, groaning a heavy sigh as he starts to orgasm, spilling his seed deep within his lover.

The combination of Danny on his knees and Steve’s legs prove too much for the fort. Just as Danny starts to come back to reality, he notices the overwhelming warmth enveloping him as Steve starts an easy laugh below him. It takes a few seconds for him to realize that they’ve totally destroyed the fort, all that seems to be holding it up is Danny’s head and Steve’s feet.

“Jesus, babe,” Danny says, then lays down on top of Steve, feeling his stomach get wet as he does so. He claims Steve’s mouth, then slides off to Steve’s side, joining him in the laughter at the ridiculousness of the situation. With one more kiss, he leans up, pulling the blankets off them, and vows to make Steve help him rebuild the fort before Grace’s next visit.