Archive for: ‘December 2013’

Hey #Grimm Execs! Don’t “Yoko” The Band!

12/22/2013 Posted by walterh

So I’ve watched Grimm almost from the beginning; starting the second or third episode, I was hooked.  And what’s not to like?  Great leads, excellent chemistry, and good stories.  They even played into the whole Nick/Monroe thing a little bit early on, which was really funny.

But ever since the start of this season, things have changed.  Drastically.  The dynamic used to be that it was Nick & Monroe, coming together to fight the big bad Wesen.  And then they brought Hank into it, and even had the whole thing with Captain Renard.  Pretty cool.

And then they started off Season 3 with Nick as a zombie.  They inserted Juliette and Rosalee – hard.  They’ve basically made this a “couples only show”, and have pretty much separated Nick and Monroe, so that it’s now the Nick & Juliette and Monroe & Rosalee show – with a side of Hank.  Or maybe a little bit of snarky Wu.

They’ve basically Yoko’d the band.

Take the latest couple of episodes.  Nick and Hank or Nick and Hank and Juliette in the trailer, relegating Monroe to being at home, and any investigation is now a “group effort”.  When you’ve got two people playing off of each other, it comes off like it’s genuine.  But when you’ve got four or five people “investigating” – over dinner or such – it’s just…contrived.  That’s the only word that comes to mind.

Maybe that’s what the executives want.  But it’s not what us viewers want.  We got into the fandom because of the dynamic between Nick & Monroe.  But now we’re questioning that, because it’s now a little less dark, and a little less about a buddy crime drama.  It’s now a more “family friendly” and “Hey, those guys shouldn’t be in too many scenes together – let’s throw some girls into the mix” show.  And if it keeps up, I’m not sure if I’m going to want to stay.