Category: ‘blog’

I gotta do something…

11/17/2014 Posted by walterh

I’ve been ignoring my weight for the last dozen years. And while being fat sucks, it really hasn’t been that bad healthwise.

But the last year, I’ve been battling high blood pressure. Like 180/122 ranges when I was at the dentist on Friday. It’s time to do something.

I’m going to see a doc about my BP on Friday. But that’s only treating the symptoms, not a long term fix. Weight loss is the long term fix.

I had this weird idea of going slow. Don’t think that I need to lose 75 pounds. Think that my goal right now is 5%. Since my weight this morning was 260.2, that means my goal right now is to focus on losing 13 pounds.

13 pounds is doable. I can do it!

Hey #Grimm Execs! Don’t “Yoko” The Band!

12/22/2013 Posted by walterh

So I’ve watched Grimm almost from the beginning; starting the second or third episode, I was hooked.  And what’s not to like?  Great leads, excellent chemistry, and good stories.  They even played into the whole Nick/Monroe thing a little bit early on, which was really funny.

But ever since the start of this season, things have changed.  Drastically.  The dynamic used to be that it was Nick & Monroe, coming together to fight the big bad Wesen.  And then they brought Hank into it, and even had the whole thing with Captain Renard.  Pretty cool.

And then they started off Season 3 with Nick as a zombie.  They inserted Juliette and Rosalee – hard.  They’ve basically made this a “couples only show”, and have pretty much separated Nick and Monroe, so that it’s now the Nick & Juliette and Monroe & Rosalee show – with a side of Hank.  Or maybe a little bit of snarky Wu.

They’ve basically Yoko’d the band.

Take the latest couple of episodes.  Nick and Hank or Nick and Hank and Juliette in the trailer, relegating Monroe to being at home, and any investigation is now a “group effort”.  When you’ve got two people playing off of each other, it comes off like it’s genuine.  But when you’ve got four or five people “investigating” – over dinner or such – it’s just…contrived.  That’s the only word that comes to mind.

Maybe that’s what the executives want.  But it’s not what us viewers want.  We got into the fandom because of the dynamic between Nick & Monroe.  But now we’re questioning that, because it’s now a little less dark, and a little less about a buddy crime drama.  It’s now a more “family friendly” and “Hey, those guys shouldn’t be in too many scenes together – let’s throw some girls into the mix” show.  And if it keeps up, I’m not sure if I’m going to want to stay.

People don’t listen to homophobes – unless they’re Clergy

12/17/2012 Posted by walterh

This is ultimately frustrating for me. People who are racists are shut down and aren’t given the time of day (as a rule).  The only time they’re trotted out is honestly when they’re going to be shown for the idiotic, neanderthal-like reasoning.  Misogynists are treated the same way.  Are they trotted out and shown on the major news networks for any credible reason?  Nope.

So why are homophobes listened to?  Specifically Clergy homophobes.

We all saw the horrible situation that happened in Connecticut this past Friday.  And as a people, we came together, shed some tears, and raged against the maniac who took the lives of innocents.

What do major clergy come out and say?  That it’s because of “gay marriage” and “abortion” that the shooting happened.

Seriously – why are people given a stage to say these horrible, mean things?  And, to paraphrase a wonderful person I know, what kind of god would kill 26 people, including 20 children, just because two people come together to want to declare their love for one another, and be legally protected like every other married couple?

This is beyond sick.

testing post

06/23/2012 Posted by walterh

testing, please ignore

Obligatory “gays in the media” rant

10/13/2011 Posted by walterh

Okay, so here’s the thing.

According to a new study, the number of LGBT characters on television has decreased this year. Yes, not increased, decreased. That pretty much sucks!  I mean LGBT people make up a good percentage of the population (like 5-8%), so why aren’t there more characters on television?

But you know what’s worse?  When they’re on, and they’re offed.  Let me explain.

One of the last bastions of television is the realm of Sci Fi.  Gay characters “just aren’t done” in Sci Fi, really.  I mean with a few exceptions here and there, it’s just not done on mainstream shows.  Gene Roddenberry wanted it before he died; he promised in the 5th season of ‘The Next Generation’ that we’d see all sorts of people, including gay characters, interacting in their day-to-day lives.  But of course that never happened.

This year, SyFy decided to add a new character to Warehouse 13, their highest rated scripted show, people were thrilled.  I was thrilled.  The addition of Agent Jinks was perfect; he balanced Claudia out, while Mika and Pete had their own thing.  It was awesome.  But I always thought it weird that they never added Jinks to the opening credits.  Like WTF?  Maybe they’re testing the waters or something…

And then the writers killed him off.  Color me surprised.  ::facepalm::

Here’s what I want: A gay character on a show, that’s part of the show.  And you know what?  Their “gayness” is just one aspect of them.  Like Jinks.  He was gay, but it didn’t define him.  That’s how it should be.  Gay characters shouldn’t be “sidekicks” or “comedic entertainment” or the like.  They should just be.  What’s wrong with that?

Yes, Brokeback Mountain mountain was beautiful – but of course it ends with a gaybashing death and unrequited love.  Longtime Companion?  A movie about AIDS where half the cast dies.  Philadelphia?  Hell, Tom Hanks and Antonio Banderas don’t even fucking kiss!  And oh yeah – AIDS again.

So come on, media.  You can add a gay character.  And they don’t have to be comedic relief a la Jack McFarlane from Will & Grace.  They can just be.

30 Days of Weird Al Meme – Day 19

07/28/2011 Posted by walterh

Day 19’s question is “What Weird Al song is a guilty pleasure?”.

Well, I don’t know about guilty pleasure, but I always smile, dance, and singalong to “Everything You Know Is Wrong”. Awesome song! 🙂

30 Days of Weird Al Meme – Day 18

07/27/2011 Posted by walterh

Day 18’s question is: What Weird Al song can you dance to?

Ladies & Germs, I give you: Canadian Idiot!

30 Days of Weird Al – Day 17

07/26/2011 Posted by walterh

Day 17 is, “What Weird Al song do you know all the lyrics to?”. Well, that would be almost ALL of them. But I’ll go with “White and Nerdy” from the album just previous to his current one. Besides – a video that has Seth Green and Judy Tenuta? CLASSIC!

30 Days of Weird Al Meme – Day 16

07/26/2011 Posted by walterh

Day 16 is, “What Weird Al song reminds you of a place?”. Easy. That one has to be “The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota.” I’ve only been to Minnesota a couple of times, and this song always makes me think of flying through there, and the couple of times I’ve actually been there – specifically the Mall of America.

30 Days of Weird Al Meme – Day 15

07/26/2011 Posted by walterh

Day 15 is “What Weird Al song reminds you of someone?”. Okay, this is a little trickier, because it’s not what you think. The song is “One More Minute”, which is a Weird Al classic, and it reminds me of my sister (high school BFF that we’ve basically adopted one another), because we used to listen to and laugh at this song when we were in high school, specifically the cafeteria at lunch. Aah, those were the days.