Posts Tagged: ‘Fandom: The American President’

Archiving Old Fic – The Peace Offering – The American President

08/27/2011 Posted by walterh

Title: The Peace Offering
Pairing: President Shepherd/Sydney Ellen Wade
Fandom: The American President
Characters: President Shepherd, First Daughter Lucy Shepherd
Rating: G
Summary: Lucy is a rebellious teenager because she feels her mom is being replaced.
Words: ~330
Prompts used: “Ice Cream”, “Rebellion”

 

“Whatever,” Lucy offered, abandoning her music practice and throwing her instrument down on her bed as if it burned her hands.

“Come on now, Lucy” her father, President Shepherd began, almost begging.  “Can we talk about this?”  Shepherd ran his fingers through his hair.  He could negotiate with the Russian Federation for a proxy-war cease-fire.  He could deal a crushing blow to the Iranian nuclear program with just a speech to the United Nations General Assembly.  Why is it, he contemplated, he couldn’t get through to his teenage daughter about wanting to date Sydney Ellen Wade?  “There’s ice cream in the mess.”  His late wife had never been able to domesticate him, Shepherd still using military terms for ordinary things.

Lucy threw darts at her father through her bang-covered eyes.  “I’m not a child, father.”  She new calling him “father” instead of “dad” would tweak something within him.  Lucy 131, Dad 67.  Since this particular stage of teenage rebellion began, it seemed that Shepherd never scored a single point during their tete a tete matches.  Today seemed no better.

Lucy began to think of how her father had been more attentive as of late, and how the affairs of international relations had even escaped their daily tasks.  Talk of Sydney sprinkled throughout their conversation.  She realized it was better than being battered on the nations that made up the Baltic region.  Better for her, and it seemed better for her father.  She released an angst-ridden teenager sign, though determined not to allow her father see her smile.  “Fine.”

President Shepherd smiled and put his arm loosely around his daughter’s shoulder, as they rounded the corner out of her room, aiming for the White House kitchen.  As Shepherd nuzzled his daughter’s hair lightly, three Secret Service agents sprang into action, flanking the president on all sides.  Lucy even ignored the reference to her and her father in the walkie talkies as they shared a quiet moment.

“Eagle and Little Bird on the move.”