What Now?

62 - Brown

by Werewindle

 

Athena tugged at the hem of her dun brown garment. The short slip dress was made of a rough woven cloth that irritated her welts from yesterday. It was nothing at all like the clothes she usually wore. Her preference was for crisp white finely woven linen and richly colored silks. Regal and elegant as befitted her station.

But this brown peasant's cast off is what they'd given her to wear. And now she was being forced to clean and pack her temple - or at least the things she would most need as she'd been forbidden - FORBIDDEN! - from bring anything non-essential. All by hand.

Never in her long existence had Athena cleaned by hand. She was a goddess! That's what her acolytes were for, and if she HAD to do something herself then she'd just will it. It was humiliating! Athena looked over her smirking guardian. They'd left Aphrodite to watch her. Athena knew she'd get no sympathy form that quarter so she kept her complaints to her self. They would only amuse Aphrodite more.


63 - Zeus Plots

Zeus watched his beloved Athena packing scrolls in her office. His daughter's usually elegant dresses replaced by a shapeless brown shift. Unable to watch any longer Zeus banished the mirror with an angry gesture.

This was unacceptable. His darling girl should not be forced to bare this after yesterdays brutal punishment. Surely her crime didn't warrant such mistreatment? And removing her from the ruling twelve! Zeus snorted. It was a ridiculous reaction to a bit of mischief. He sat in thought frown creasing his brow, stroking his beard absently.

Maybe he could go and talk to Strife. If he could convince the younger god that Athena hadn't meant him harm Strife would get the others to lighten up on Athena. This incarnation of Strife seemed much nicer then the last. Certainly he wouldn't hold a grudge. Besides without his memories Strife would be easily manipulated - er, persuaded.

Zeus flashed out of his temple into the main room of the Halls of War. Not seeing Strife or his recent companions he went in search of them. He didn't bother looking in the study or records room fairly sure that Ares wouldn't allow them access there. Finding no one in the privet rooms or bathing chamber Zeus ventured outside.

As the Sky god stepped out on the patio he was shocked to see a thriving garden. Becoming impatient to find Strife Zeus sent his awareness out searching for Strife's signature. Puzzled when he felt not one but four immortal presences he started off down the correct path, trying to think of who Ares might have brought to visit his son. He couldn't remember Ares having any earthly children - well there was that warrior girl - hmm, maybe the son was more like the father then Zeus had thought.

When Zeus reached the area where Strife and his companions were sitting he was surprised to see only Strife's mortal hangers-on. "Hello boys." he greeted. "Was there someone else here with you before?" They shook their heads giving him odd looks. Zeus reached out with his powers to the group before him.

"What is going on!" Zeus bellowed. A sudden clap of thunder rolled across Olympus. "Ares! Eris! Come!" Zeus commanded his voice louder then the rumbling thunder. Ares and Eris flashed in with twin glares on their faces. "Explain THIS." Zeus demanded pointing at the triplets.


64 - Temper-Tantrum

"Explain what? I really don't think it any of your business if I have guests at my temple." Ares glowered at his father.

Zeus gritted his teeth, Hera's children were always so obstinate. "I don't care who you have in your temple. I want to know WHY you made them immortal and WHY you didn't seek MY permission FIRST! You can't go willy-nilly making immortals - there are rules!" Zeus had curled his right hand into a fist, little sparks snapped as lightening began to form between his clenched fingers.

Ares turned his head to look at the triplets, seeing for the first time himself the change. His gaze darted over to his twin. Eris had a smug look on her face. "I don't need your permission, none of them are your followers so you have no say-"

"I am the KING of the Gods!" Zeus interrupted, as if they could forget that fact..

"Yeah but the APPLES are Hera's." Eris challenged.

Zeus sputtered, "But you still have to have permission to use them. Stealing is wrong after all." He was certain Hera wouldn't have given up THREE of her precious apples to Eris, she wouldn't even let him have ONE.

Eris snorted at her father's comment. "I have Hera's permission. She was more then happy to give them to me when I told her who they were for."

Ares stepped in front of the seated men blocking them from Zeus' gaze. "Is there something else you wanted? It's almost time for... Strife's nap."

Eris moved to stand next to her brother. "Yeah, he's still recuperating and all." Zeus opened his mouth, probably to protest. "Apollo's orders." The twins stated in stereo voices firm.

The Sky god huffed in anger unable to push with out causing a scene. He flashed away in a twist of lightening leaving a scorched ring on the flagstones where he had stood.


65 - Got Some Explaining To Do 1 - When

Ares rolled his eyes at his Father's juvenile behavior, still acting like the whole of Greece and Olympus revolves around him. 'All bow before the mighty God of Hot Air' Like he even does anything anymore besides knock up strange women - half the time he's not even in human form. Ares shuddered at the thought of a woman that would be attracted to a animal, or a shower of gold. Demented.

"Excuse me?" A voice questioned from behind the twins. Eris and Ares turned around to face the four immortals.

"WHEN, exactly did you turn us into immortals?" Asked Jayce quickly followed by Jett's more demanding, "And WHEN were you planning on telling us?" Joxer was just blinking down at his hands trying to see if there was a difference, he certainly didn't feel any different. But he did look up at the godly pair and nod in agreement with his brothers' questions.


66 - Got Some Explaining To Do 2 - Death

Eris looked at the triplets. Joxer was gazing at her bewilderedly, Jett was all gruff and confused and Jayce was pouting at her. Eris sighed and sat down next to Jett, Ares took the last chair at the round table between her and Joxer.

"I talked Hera into giving me three golden apples before the twelve gathered for Athena's trial. Ares asked me to wait to come and see you," She gestured at Strife, "Until I'd come down some. But I couldn't NOT check on you so I tuned a scrying mirror to look in on you. I was surprised to see you three with him. It soon became apparent that you all were friends. At first I was happy, I knew who the triplets were and that they'd stick by you.

But then I got to thinking that well... the boys are mortal. Even if you all were friends for life it'd only be for the span of THEIR lives. Which is a distressingly short amount of time to a God. I was going to be damned if my baby had to see his friends die." Eris shrugged. "So I fed them golden apples. Problem solved."

Strife was biting his lip. When Eris finished her explanation he reached out and grabbed her closest hand. "Thanks Mom."


67 - Got Some Explaining To Do 3 - Dinner

Eris sniffed and squeezed Strife's hand. No one spoke, Joxer's stomach took the opportunity to rumble its displeasure at being empty. Jayce snickered and Strife chuckled. Ares grinned at the sheepish Joxer and patted the immortal on the back. "Guess we'd better take care of that then, before it starts gnawing on your back bone." Ares bumped his shoulder against his sister's. "Wouldn't want Eris to came after me for not taking care of 'her boys'."

Eris smacked the War god lightly laughing at Ares mock cower. He smiled at her and flicked his fingers at the table. A platter of warm roasted chicken appeared, as well as one of bread and cheese and another of fruits and veggies. Goblets of clear cool spring water set next to each plate. Everyone dug in taking bits of this and that and generally enjoying each other's company.

Jett finished chewing a bite of melon and leaned slightly closer to Eris. "When were you going to tell us?" He asked his voice pitched just loud enough for her to hear. "Later. I was hoping to... ease into it. I didn't want to give anybody a chance to protest - look what happened when Zeus found out - that's why I didn't ask first."

Jett nodded. "We would have said yes anyway. We've become rather attached to Scythas." He assured her. She smiled the slump gone from her shoulders. Jett was pleased, it wouldn't do to let the Goddess Discord fret over such a trivial thing.


68 - Unfriendly Skies 1

Hephaestus arrived on Olympus to the sounds of thunder clashing over head. The usually perpetual summer sky looked dark and angry as if it would open up and pour torrents of rain any moment. He could feel Zeus' rage in the very air. Something had upset the elder god and Heph was instantly wary.

Instead of leisurely walking to the Halls of War as he'd planned Hephaestus flashed right into the temple. He called for Strife but got no answer. Knowing his son was here somewhere the Forge god headed for the door to the garden. He stepped out side as the skies cleared, the thunder now a distant rumble and the forbidding clouds rolling swiftly away.

Hephaestus limped down the paths, he searched by the pond and the poison herb garden. Finally he heard laughing and headed to where he knew a table was tucked away shaded by trees. The sight of his son sitting between his friends and dining with Ares and Eris eased the rising panic he felt upon his arrival.

They greeted him warmly and Ares waved him up a chair, scooting them around to make room for Heph to join them. He sank in to the offered chair gratefully. Hephaestus draped his arm over Strife's shoulder and gave him a hug. He listened to the others tale of Zeus' visit absently eating a few bits of meat. His mind though was not on the meal. Hephaestus has a bad feeling that Zeus wasn't going to let this go.


69 - Unfriendly Skies 2

Hephaestus watched interestedly as the boys helped dismantle the sets and stage behind the Sleeping Lion. All the Bent River Performers worked as a team. Everyone had a task and worked efficiently to get it accomplished. But they still had time to stop and help one another.

The Forge god had been delighted when Strife had invited him along on their trip to the Mortal Realm. He wanted to get to know Strife's friends and had been sad to find he'd missed the adventure when Ares and Apollo had gone with the boys before.

Joxer had pulled him over to a chair as soon as they stepped outside the inn. When he'd protested that he'd wanted to help Joxer had brought him a pile of props that needed to be checked over and repaired if need be before they could be stored.

Hephaestus grinned at the immortal's fussing, the young man was obviously a worrier. He turned part of his attention to the pile in front of him. He looked at each piece using a bit of godly power to fix nicks in the prop blades and strengthen leather straps and what not. He made quick work of it and soon had them packed away.

A drop of rain fell on Hephaestus' cheek. The god looked up ward having missed how quickly the sky had clouded over. He was thankful to see that the group was packing away the last of the items and would not have to work in the rain. That single drop turned into a heavy down pour as they hurried inside.

They stayed to share a glass of ale with the other performers, all of which were looking forward to the break they were getting while Jayce 'took care of some family business'. Heph didn't drink, turning his ale into water. He didn't say anything to the boys not wanting to interrupt their fun but he was alert for trouble. Though there was a lack of thunder the rain had felt cold and cruel tainted with Zeus' furry. The Forge god hoped that Zeus' would wear out his anger before they returned to Olympus.


.:Previous:. | .:Next:.

.:Back to the Den:.

 

To receive email for new and updated fiction:
Click here to join twin_swords
Click to join twin_swords