What Now?

100 - Solstice Time Again

by Werewindle

 

Joxer sat idly playing with a scrap of shiny wrapping paper. Aphrodite had been kind enough to conger him up a roll to wrap his gifts in after he complemented her own sparkly red packages. He’d had a little trouble figuring out the tape stuff but worked it out with only a few mishaps. Joxer sighed and slumped forward on the table, chin resting on his crossed arms. His pile of gifts did look festive wrapped in the silver paper with it’s glittery blue snowflakes.

Now if only he knew what to get Ares for Solstice.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ares closed his eyes and braced himself for the usual visual assault of Dite’s Solstice decorating. He stepped into his study and... was pleasantly surprised. Ares eyebrows rose as he took in the understated decorations. There was no way Dite did this, the rest of his temple showed signs of her exuberant meddling so it wasn’t as if she had a change of style.

There were holly and evergreen swags over the fireplace and along the tops of his bookshelves dotted with plush red bows. There were silver bud-vases holding springs of mistletoe and thick red candles scattered around the room in little groups. But that was it. No weird red flowers crowed around the walls, no ivy creeping up the fireplace, no jangling stars and moons... Ares kind of liked the effect.

The War god sat down at his desk and found a note from Joxer. So the immortal was the one to decorate in here. Ares grinned and tucked the note away in a drawer before starting his paperwork.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Jett was absolutely no help at all! Joxer didn’t know why he even bothered asking.

“Weren’t you working on something with Dionysus? Just give him some of the wine. Quit acting like a simpering virgin with her first crush! It’s not like he’s going to kick you out if he doesn’t like the gift.”

Stupid brother. Joxer flopped down on his bed. It might not have been a bad suggestion if Joxer had in fact been making wine with Nysus. The boisterous god had actually been teaching him how to belly dance. He’d wandered too far one day and came upon the sandy haired man practicing. Somewhere between apologies and questions Nysus had ended up talking him into learning.

Joxer blushed at the idea of dancing for Ares. He felt a curl of heat low in his belly the more he thought about it. Maybe... if it was JUST for Ares, no other audience. Joxer didn’t think he was quiet ready to dance like that in front of anybody else.

He tried not to think about WHY that was too closely.


101 - Party Plans

Solstice, the Long Night, a time of revelry and family. Greece was dotted with bonfires and people gathered together. On Olympus they didn’t have many bonfires but there were a few parties. Zeus of course held his annual bash which most people made a perfunctory showing at before slipping off to better events. The Sky god never seemed to notice; mostly due to Dionysus’ spiking his drink.

After an hour Zeus was off in his own little world, with anyone else foolish enough to stick around, usually just Poseidon. The two got rip roaring drunk, told lies about their conquest and passed out under the tables. Someone, mostly Strife, would come in and move them somewhere... unexpected. One year they woke up in matching stone coffins under a lake, both covered in honey and feathers and wearing Hephaestian metal cock rings.

Apollo and the Muses threw a sprawling party, featuring three or four bands and weird foods. The House of Love used to throw massive orgies but with Dite’s brood around they’d switched focus to something a little more family oriented - at least until the rug-rats sacked out. War and the Underworld Houses usually did something involving huge quantities of food, drinking and scary games.

But things were much different this year. Zeus was still in a sulk over Athena’s babyhood, he’d had to pick up slack after years of letting her handle things. It really cut into his free time. So to show his displeasure he was not hosting a party and was instead visiting Poseidon in his realm. Hera and Hestia could barely hold their laughter when he had announced this; the sparks from his departure hadn’t even hit the ground before the snickering started.

This year there was going to be one rather massive party on Olympus. The goddesses were taking over everything and practically every where, spiraling out from the center pavilion where Athena had been punished. Hestia was taking care of the food with help from two of the Muses. Eris, Dite and Persephone were taking care of the entertainment, though they had let Jayce help. The rest of the Muses, Hera and a few minor goddess were decorating.

They took over Apollo’s open air hall for dancing; Ares garden for games, Strife was pushing for Dark Tag but the Muses weren‘t easily convinced; there was to be story telling at Hestia’s for the little ones; the Halls of Adoration, as Dite called the House of Love’s connected temples, were stocked with face-painting and coronet supplies. The pavilion would hold the main feast and the gifts.

It was shaping up to be the biggest blowout Olympus had seen in decades.


102 - Solstice Prep Drables

Joxer fidgeted with the waist of his pants were it rested across his hips. The immortal looked at his reflection in the mirror. Joxer had to remind himself not to bite his already bruised bottom lip anymore. How could he have forgotten that Dionysus was the god of Debauchery and not just Wine when he’d asked for help with his costume?

The pants were so sheer they served only to highlight his nakedness underneath. The top was masquerading as a vest. It was cropped very short and didn’t even come close to closing in the front.

He looked like a tart.

Too late to fix it now, Joxer bit his lip still worried but resigned to wearing it. A crash in the hallway startled him. Almost sunset already, he was running late. Joxer hurried to change for the party not willing to face a pouting Jayce and Aphrodite.


Cupid was about ready to scream. Bliss would not get dressed; he just fluttered off and refused to wear clothing of any kind. Gaia save him. Cupid stomped into the den where Bliss had taken off to. He brandished the clothes clutched in his fist and opened his mouth to demand Bliss put them on or the only place he was going for Solstice was bed.

He didn’t get the chance.

Sitting cross-legged on the floor with an already half dress Bliss was Strife. The Mischief god was patiently crafting a dark blue shirt for the toddler to match his own. The only difference of course was the openings in the back for Bliss’ wings.

Strife was telling Bliss all about the things the three of them were going to do just as soon as the godling was dressed. Cupid tossed the clothes he had on to a chair and sat on the floor next to Strife and Bliss. The dark haired god smiled at him.

Cupid smiled back and reached out to twist a lock of Bliss’ hair up, he did a few more giving his son a look similar to Strife messy do. The Love god’s heart swelled with joy from having Strife back in his life, completing his family in a way that Psyche never had.


Hera watched bemused as Blue flitted around the pavilion setting out the center pieces he’d helped make. The Imp was enjoying the holiday, trying to do and see a bit of everything. He had practically vibrated with anticipation while he waited for Hera to finish getting ready. At the rate he was going Blue would wear himself out before the festivities were in full swing.


Jett shifted his weight, the only sign he was nervous. Anyone else would be pacing but the assassin had long trained himself not to telegraph his emotions with his body language. He had a gift to give Eris but he wasn’t sure about giving it to her.

Granted it had been months since they’d started courting but it was still weeks before he could give her such a gift by the rules of a traditional courting. Then again Jett wasn’t one to follow rules. But would Eris feel cheated if he skipped ahead?

Jett growled at his own foolishness. He was going to give her the gift tradition be damned.


103 - Solstice Party Drabbles

Zeus watched the goddesses swarming over Olympus from the highest tower in his temple. He chuckled to himself; they couldn’t even pick ONE location. Their festivities would be so disorganized no one would be able to enjoy themselves.

His decision to go visit Poseidon was a true genius. After the disaster that would be this year’s Solstice they would be BEGGING him to host next year. Zeus flashed away to Poseidon’s keep still laughing.


Jayce chased after Apollo in the dark. The only light came from the moon and the hidden mirrors used to reflect it. Ares garden had been turned into nooks and guarded ways all the better to play Dark Tag. There was a group of kids playing together and a few adults playing in pairs. Laughter rang out from all across the lawn as people were found or ran into each other trying to hide.

Jayce couldn’t remember having this much fun running in the dark before. A flash of white ahead caught his attention and he swerved around a low hedge. Jayce sighted Apollo and made a running tackle at his lover. He chuckled and rolled the god over on to his back trapping the blond beneath him.

Jayce leaned down to steal a quick kiss from Apollo, the Sun god strained upward deepening it. Out of no where a body tripped over them. Seconds later a second person came crashing down squishing Apollo and Jayce. Apollo groaned and they pushed the teen boys off of them.

Jayce suddenly bit Apollo’s shoulder, “You’re it.” He laughed as he jumped up and took off back into the night.


Bliss was enjoying his Solstice very much. Daddy and Strife had taken him to see all the decorations and watch the dancing. Then they went to G’nma’s and made crowns! From leafs and flowers and berries! Bliss never knew you could do that! The only crowns he’d ever seen were made from metal and sparklies.

They’d had Aunty Hes’a’s hot apple... something to drink it was sooo good. Then they’d goned to G’npa Res’ and played - even the grown-ups! Bliss bounced in his high chair between Strife and Daddy. They were going to have dinner all together and then presents!

Bliss could hardly wait but his tummy was rumbling and wouldn’t let him skip the food.


Hestia watched everybody gathered around the tables enjoying Solstice together. It was nice to see so much of the family in attendance. She couldn’t remember the last time they had. Oh! It was so wonderful, even the family members that usually fought were making an effort to be nice.

Hestia passed a basket of bread to her right and laughed at the sight of Demeter being served to by Mania who was telling the elder goddess some outlandish tale. All around the pavilion the torches seemed to glow brighter in response to Hestia’s internal happiness.


Hephaestus watched people dancing, he was drinking a goblet of punch waiting for Aphrodite to return from putting Bliss down for the night. The little cherub had played hard but crashed soon after presents were given out. He could see his Son dancing with Cupid, they looked so sweet together.

A ruckus rose from across the room and Heph waded through the crowed to see what was going on. He groaned at the sight. He should have know. The twins, Demos and Phobos were stirring up trouble. Again. The teens were first rate pranksters, or little terrors depending on who you asked on any given day. Heph would have liked to blame it on Ares’ blood but Dite had been known to pull a prank now and again, though she seldom got caught. Innocent, dumb, blonde routine was good for something after all.

Hephaestus grabbed the boys by their ears and escorted them from Apollo’s Hall. Spiking the punch to give people cats ears was funny but they wouldn’t be able to sit for a week if Artemis got a hold of them.


104 - Gifts: Jett/Eris

Jett danced with Eris for hours selfishly monopolizing her attention, even going so far as to glare at Artemis to keep the Huntress away. He knew Eris had seen him but she seemed more amused then angry at the presumption. Early in the morning the party was winding down and Jett walked Eris back to the Halls of War.

The went into the goddess’ parlor, Eris sat on a wide couch and looked puzzled when Jett didn’t join her. The immortal walked over to the window and looked out for a moment before turning back to her. Jett pulled an ottoman over and sat in front of Eris.

“I have something for you.” He handed her a black velvet pouch, “I hope you like it.” Eris opened the bag and tipped out a wide silver cuff. It was polished to a high shine and had gently curved edges. It had a blood red ruby set off-center with the words ’Love Eternal’ engraved around it. “I thought about getting you a ring but you don’t wear them...” Jett waited for Eris to say something.

She just looked at him with wide eyes and started giggling. Eris snapped her fingers and a familiar black velvet pouch appeared in her hand. She offered it to Jett. The immortal opened it to find an identical silver cuff. “Hephaestus must have been laughing him self sick making those.”

“Eris...”

“Bond with me.” The goddess demanded.

“As you wish.” Jett kissed Eris until they were panting. He picked up her left hand and brushed his lips over the pulse in her wrist before sliding her cuff on. Eris smiled, picked up his hand and slipped his cuff onto his wrist, nipping the base of his thumb before letting go.

Jett moved to sit with Eris on the couch, pulling the goddess into his arms. “So, are we bonded now? Or do we need to perform some ritual.”

“Good enough for me, but Ares will insist you go through the ceremony. Otherwise he’ll think you aren’t serious. He’s protective like that.”

“I can do that.” Jett promised pressing a kiss into her hair. “We should go to bed.”

“Mmhmm.” Eris agreed snuggling further on to Jett’s chest. They fell asleep, curling around each other as the sun rose.


105 - Gifts: Apollo/Jayce

Apollo and Jayce slipped away from the party while the parents were putting their little ones to bed. The Sun god conjured up a blindfold and tied it around the immortal’s head. He took Jayce by the hand and led him through his temple away from the noisy hall. After a few minutes he guided his lover into a room and removed the blindfold.

Jayce looked around the room in awe. The far wall curved outward at least six feet at the crest. The upper third was studded with stain-glass circles in blues and greens, around the bottom was a wide bench seat that looked like a perfect place to read. In between alternated wide panes of clear glass with circles embossed in them and slim levered windows to let in the breeze.

The walls were a warm cream and the floor was a smooth honey colored stone. There was a workbench along one wall; heavy clay pots one end held reams of fabric. There were mirrors in the corner, a doublewide lounge with a side table and shelf full of scrolls.

“What is this place?” Jayce asked, as he stepped further into the room, turning to take in everything.

“It’s yours. Your studio, workshop... quiet space... what ever you want. What ever you need.” Apollo came up behind Jayce and wrapped his arms around the immortal’s waist. “Do you like it?”

“Jayce?”

“It’s wonderful.” Jayce breathed. He spun in Apollo’s arms and kissed him, fingers buried in the god‘s golden locks.

“You want to skip-out on the party?” Apollo asked, hands settled firmly on his lover’s butt.

“Oh, yeah.”


106 - Gifts: Ares/Joxer

Ares really enjoyed the Solstice party. Bliss went zooming around dragging Cupid and Strife behind; the Twins were acting up - you’d think Phobos would be taking it easy being pregnant but the occasion was too much temptation apparently; Eris was being escorted by a possessive Jett. It was nice. But nicest of all was spending time with Joxer.

The immortal was delighted by the festivities and blithely pulled the War god along with him to experience everything. Ares liked that Joxer treated him as a friend, not changing his behavior in difference to their stations. Every now and again though he would catch Joxer looking at him and blushing. It made Ares wonder a bit.

After dinner gifts were exchanged. Joxer’s gift was something he was too shy to give him in front of everyone. He couldn’t help but try to guess what Joxer might have gotten him. Ares’ gift to Joxer was a torc style necklace the War god had made himself. The main part was three strands of silver braided together, the ends held rounded aquamarines in heavy settings.

It looked particularly stunning settled around the base of the immortal’s neck. Joxer kept reaching up to touch it absently through out the night, a soft smile coming to his face when ever he did so.

A couple more hours past with the dynamics of the party changing as the younger family members went to bed. Ares and Joxer stayed for a while but left soon after the dancing started to heat up. Once home Joxer sent Ares off to his study to wait for him.

Ares settled himself in his big black leather chair and flicked his fingers at the fireplace causing it to blaze to life. It wasn’t really cold but the fire was cheery and just seemed fitting. He heard the door open behind him and started to turn.

“No! Um, don’t look yet. Let me explain first. Please.” Joxer pleaded.

Ares was puzzled, even more curious about the gift now, “Alright.”

“See I was having trouble finding you a gift - I mean what do you get your friend, that happens to be your god and capable of making anything he desires?” Joxer’s voice drew nearer. “Anyway, Dionysus has been teaching me this so I thought...”

“All this secrecy over a wine, Jox?” Ares asked, resisting the urge to turn around.

“Not- Not wine, a performance. Nysus has been teaching me to dance. I- well, it’s not something you could get yourself. You could get people to dance for you but it wouldn’t be me... probably, and it wouldn’t be this kind of dancing. I don’t think.” Joxer stepped around Ares chair and resisted the urge to fidget. “Surprise.”

“Oh.” Ares eyes widened at the sight of Joxer. His friend was dressed in a deep ocean green. The top was tiny and the pants translucent serving to put the immortal more on display then mere nakedness would have. “That is certainly an unusual outfit.” The War god remarked his voice rough. “I’m sure your dancing will be as equally pleasing.” Ares smiled what he hoped was a reassuring smile but he had a feeling it was a bit wolfish.

Joxer seemed to relax at Ares’ response, no doubt the immortal had been worried his costume would have garnered laughter. Jox still had moments of self-doubt; a consequence of having his self-esteem routinely crushed by his companions for so many years.

Joxer turned to place a small glass sphere on the mantel, providing Ares a tempting view of the shadowed cleft of his rather shapely ass. Ares stifled a groan. Joxer tapped the sphere three times and little golden sparks started to move inside it spinning out an exotic tune.

Joxer turned back to face Ares and rolled his torso, the muscles of his abdomen flexing with the movement. His feet shifted and his arms twined around themselves and a part. Joxer undulated, body keeping time with the music. He was sinuous and sensuous, sleek and sexy... and other s words that were escaping Ares at that moment but which all boiled down to CARNAL.

It wasn’t as if Joxer was being blatant, though the dance was seductive. It was the look in Joxer’s eyes. Heat, and affection and a flicker of need that made his eyes almost glow. Ares couldn’t have imagined such a gift as this.

The dance it self was captivating but it represented, if Ares wasn’t misreading the situation, a change in their future. The War god felt his smile widen, his fingers twitched along with the music as Joxer continued to mesmerize him. It was a shift in their relationship that Ares would most welcome. Now he only had keep himself from pouncing on the other man and frightening him.

Joxer had never had a male lover and Ares had to be prepared to ease into that new territory. No matter what his admittedly hyper libido tried to argue otherwise. Joxer was a prize to be savored, a jewel to be cherished...

He watched as Joxer rolled his hips again and almost growled. Ares reigned himself in. This might be harder then he thought.


A/N:
Dark Tag is a game we played in gym in HS. We put set up mats like screens all around then turned out the lights so only the exit door light was on. Then we played tag where the ‘It’ person would hunt everyone else. The whole one wall was mirrors and you would sometimes catch movement in it totally confusing you.

.:Previous:. | .:Next:.

.:Back to the Den:.

 

To receive email for new and updated fiction:
Click here to join twin_swords
Click to join twin_swords