Title: Joes

Author: Xandria

E_mail: tonicorn_1@yahoo.com

Fandom: Buffy and Highlander

Archive: Oh yeah. Just let me know where so I can see.

Rating: NC 17+ m/m

Feedback: Please

Spoilers: References to the series but not enough to actually spoil.

Note: Richie Ryan is not dead, now or at any other time. He left and never came back after an argument with Duncan.

Note the second: this is not connected with my What Dreams series. I had a dream, and in that dream... no, wait, that wasn't me. Umm, anyway, I've been watching Highlander videos. And then I dreamed of Duncan and Xander meeting. I had to write this! The plot bunnies made me do it!

Disclaimer: I do not now own them, nor have I ever in the past done so. I do not recall any occasions in past when I may have done so. Could you please repeat that question?

Date: June 12, 2000

 

JOES

By Xandria

Xander only just managed to drive into the garage; his car finally dying as it had threatened to do for the last few miles. He hopped out and glared at it before approaching someone to fix it.

"How much?! Okay, do you know of a place near by that's looking for someone to work?"

"If you can't pay for it..."

"I can, but I'll need more money so I can go on, after. This'll clear me out." The garage owner gave him an address and he walked over, duffel bag slung over his shoulder. He knocked on the service door and a middle-aged man with a beard and a cane opened it.

"We're closed."

"Umm, Kit from the garage sent me here. He said you might have some work?"

"Okay, lets go in. I'm Joe."

"Xander." They shook hands then walked in and sat down in the small office beside the bar.

"I need someone to clean, wash the dishes, that type of thing."

"I can do that. I'll have to get used to this sort of thing anyway."

"Why? You look like a smart kid"

"Not according to SATs test. Maybe I'll try again later. But now I want to see a bit before going back."

"Fair enough. Where do you come from?"

"Sunnydale, California."

"Really? I know someone who lives there. He used to work at the high school library before it was burnt down."

"You do? Oh wait, Seacouver, you're that Joe Dawson! You know Giles?!" Joe stared at him, then sighed.

"Yeah. Look, how about we see how you go? Can you work tonight?"

"Oh yeah, I can fit it into my busy social schedule.'

"Fine. I open at five." They shook hands and the young man left.

*****

By seven that night the place was full and Xander was kept busy wiping tables and washing glasses. He was speaking happily to Joe when he suddenly clutched his head and moaned, almost falling over.

"Are you Okay?"

"I don't know. Just this really bad headache. It's gone. Weird." He shook his head and carried on washing.

"You know, that could be a sign of something, kid. I can recommend a good doctor if you want."

"I should be okay. If it happens again I will, though." Joe clapped him on the shoulder, then smiled when he saw his newest customer.

"Duncan! When did you get back?"

"Oh, about three or so. How have things been here?"

"Not bad. What about you?"

"The same. Who's the boy?"

"Xander. His car broke down and he's working here to earn some money. Why? You think he's after your head?" Duncan looked at him and Joes grin faded. "I was kidding. Are you telling me he's immortal?!

"He is."

"That would explain the sudden headache. I don't think he knows, though."

"Why?"

"He's too, I don't know, something! Wait. Xander, come here a minute!" the boy bounced over, a large smile on his face.

"Hey, Joe, what's up?"

"I'd like you to meet a good friend of mine, Duncan Macloud. Duncan, this is Xander Harris." They shook hands, Duncan watching the boy closely as they did so.

"Hi. So you're Scottish? That's cool. I already know an Englishman. Now all I need is an Irishman to complete the set." He grinned, and Duncan smiled back. Xander went back to work and the Highlander's smile faded.

"He doesn't know. I don't know if I'm ready to have another student so soon, though."

"It could be like falling off a horse. Besides, who else is around to do it?"

"Good point."

"And I actually know the boy. Know of him, anyway. He's a friend of one of my old friends and Rupert's mentioned him several times. Usually in comparing notes on hyperactive young men!"

"So this friend of yours sent Xander to you?"

"No. It's a coincidence he's here, actually. His car broke down and he came here looking for work. Xander's been on a roadtrip to find himself. Graduation and highschool's been a real killer this year, apparently."

"Is Rupert a Watcher too then?"

"Not of immortals. He was the librarian at the boys high school, and a teacher to one of his friends who needed special guidance in certain things."

"What sort of things?"

"Duncan, I've already said more than I should. My point is, Rupert has watched Xander grow up for the last few years."

"So the boy..." Xander walked up to them both and glared at them.

"Boy here, not appreciating being talked about."

"Sorry lad."

"Yes. We shouldn't have been doing it."

"If I'm not doing the job right, please tell me to my face, okay? That's all I ask, to be told. Then I can deal."

"Actually, you're doing well. You have the job for as long as you need it. If you want the truth, I was talking more about Rupert than you, at least at first."

"You know?! I mean, really?!"

"Yeah, I know, kid, but only because we're in the same line of work."

"You're a watcher?!" Xander exclaimed.

"How do you know about watchers?" Duncan said. Xander stared at him, then at Joe.

"Okay, this getting a bit strange. I left Sunnydale to get away from Hellmouthy stuff. Next thing you know, Cryptic Guy's gonna appear with some obscure warning about the end of the world!" Duncan stared in astonishment as Joe looked on in amusement.

He understood exactly what Xander referred to. As head of the American division for the Watchers of Immortals, the council in charge of the Slayer's branch kept him informed as a common courtesy. At least of what happened in America.

"Actually Xander, Duncan does have some information he has to tell you. Why don't you take a break and find out what's going on?" the Scot glared at Joe, who grinned and waved them both over to his office.

The boy and the immortal entered and sat down, staring at each other for several minutes. Xander finally jumped and paced up and down, Duncan watching him in amusement.

"So what's the story?"

"My name is Duncan Macleod of the Clan Macleod. I am four hundred years old." He paused to see how the boy took it. Xander stared at him then took a cross out from some where hidden on him and pressed it against his skin.

"Okay, so you're not a vampire. Did you sell your soul?" Xander demanded. Duncan looked at him in shock. He'd expected disbelief maybe, but not this.

"Of course not! And vampires don't exist!"

"Yes they do. So do demons." Xander said stubbornly.

"How do you know about...? No, you wouldn't. Vampires really exist? I'm getting sidetracked here."

"So what are you telling me?"

"I am immortal. And so are you."

"Now I get it! Not funny! Way to initiate the new guy, but I'm not playing!" Xander started angrily towards the door and Duncan stopped him by grabbing his arm. Xander stared at his hand then at the Scot.

"Let go!"

"Not until I finish explaining." Xander struggled then seemed to relax, glaring at Duncan.

"Fine." The boy swung his fist, staggering Duncan, but that was all. He glared at the boy.

"What did you do that for?" He yelled.

"Strangely enough, to get away from the weird guy!" Xander yelled back. Joe came in and glared at them both.

"What the devil is going on in here?!"

"Look, Joe, I'm sorry, but your friend here, won't let me go when I tried to leave! So I punch him and he yells at me! I'm on holiday to get away from this, not to get more! No more being hit, no more being used, and no more being made a fool of!" Xander screamed.

Duncan's hand loosened in surprise, and Xander struggled free. He ran out the door and then Joes bar as the people inside stared at him.

"What did you say to get him so upset?" Joe demanded. Duncan stared at him then ran out after the boy. He would explain things to Joe later.

Outside, he looked around trying to find some trace of the boy, some trace of his quickening. Then he sensed him along with another. Duncan hurried along, hoping to find a friend, not a hunter.

He found Xander, along with a strange immortal, who had his sword up to the boy's throat as he was backed against the alley wall.

"Leave him alone!"

"Stay out of this. You know the rules!"

"You're just going to kill the boy, with no weapon, no training, and just made immortal?"

"Yeah. So?"

"Why?" the stranger glared at him.

"Because its easy. And he's weak!"

"Hey!"

"Quiet, Xander. You know he won't have much of a quickening."

"What do you care?"

"I care because he's my new student. Why don't you fight me instead?" the stranger stared at him then smiled.

"Very well. You can't be much of a teacher if he's like this. You may as well put a sign on him." He brought his sword down and Xander sighed in relief. Then slumped unconscious when the pommel was used to hit him.

"What did you do that for?"

"So he can't ran away when you lose."

"Great. I am Duncan Macleod of the clan Macleod."

"Jordan Saffrey." The two circled each other, swords out, looking for an opening in the other to exploit. Jordan suddenly lunged and Duncan blocked him easily, then the fight was on in earnest. After some time, Duncan finally disarmed him and lifted his sword up.

"There can only be one." Moving his sword around, he cut through. The Highlander looked down for a moment as the mist began to gather. Then he began to scream as the lightning struck, again and again. It finally ended and he fell down to the ground.

"Wow." He looked up to see Xander staring at him from where he lay slumped against the wall.

"This is part of what I was trying to tell you."

"So I shouldn't have run off like that?"

"No you shouldn't! But I shouldn't have grabbed you like that."

"Okay. So what do we do with the body?"

"It will be taken care of. Why aren't you worried about it?"

"I've seen a lot in the past few years. This is weird, but relatively non-gory. Apart from the head, that is. So what now?" Xander crawled over to Duncan and they helped each other up before staggering back to Joes.

"Tonight, I'm going to tell you what being an immortal means. Tomorrow I'm going to start training you."

"I get to learn how to use a sword? 'Cause then I could be Sword Guy." Duncan sighed as he led his new student along. Life was definitely going to be interesting with Xander around.

********

In Duncan's dojo the next day, Xander was being taught some basic moves while Xander asked more questions.

"So let me get this straight. We can only die if our heads are cut off. The winner of a fight between two immortals gets their Quickening, which is like all their emotions compressed."

"That's right. You're good at this, have you ever learnt this before?"

"No. It must be from being a soldier. Long story. So, what's the Prize, does anyone know? A first class trip to Tahiti, fame, or the ability to buy and sell the Fox Network?"

"As I said, no one knows. But when the last immortal stands, then he will know."

"Boy, wouldn't it be a kick if it was someone's idea of a joke and all this was for nothing." Duncan stopped and glared at him.

"Not funny."

"Yeah, that's me, alright. My special talent is to point out this type of thing." Xander grinned at him, and in spite of himself an answering smile grew on his face.

"Its time for a break. And you need to ring home." Duncan swung his arms around Xander's shoulders and led him upstairs to his apartment.

"I do?"

"Yes. To tell them you'll be gone longer than expected."

"But what can I say? I already know I have to keep quiet about this."

"Joe has already contacted his friend to let him know. Something about professional courtesy. All you need to say is that your car broke down and you're not sure how long you'll be." Xander sat and watched Duncan take food out of the fridge.

"I like it. The truth, without really saying anything."

"You get good at it after a while." Duncan pointed in the direction of the phone while starting to make lunch for them both.

*******

During the next three months Duncan trained Xander in fighting, both self-defense and using the sword. As the Highlander had noted early, the boy picked up what was needed to be done fast. It meant Duncan could teach him as much as possible in as short a time as possible.

Xander was adamant that he had to return to Sunnydale soon, to help his friends. While being trained by Duncan he also continued to work for Joe, forming a strong friendship with them both. Finally, Xander had learned all he could without actually fighting and got ready to leave.

They stood outside Joes in front of his car. After an awkward pause, Xander moved forward and quickly hugged the two of them.

"That was a guy thing, right?"

"Yeah, you're a guy all right."

"Cute Joe."

"I aim to please. Anyway, kid, don't forget what I told you."

"I won't. Hey Duncan, don't forget what I told you, either." Xander got in and drove away. Duncan stared at Joe.

"So what advice did you give our young friend O Wise One?"

"Not to give up. On himself or his friends. He's been thinking about trying out for college again next year."

"How did you manage that? He wouldn't even talk about it with me in the end."

"You push too hard sometimes." They walked inside and sat at the bar.

"You weren't only talking about Xander then were you?"

"No. Let go, Duncan. Admit you can be wrong. Forgive. Say you're sorry. You need what friends you have left around you."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Only this. You may be immortal but you still need to learn to embrace the moment."

"I'll think about it."

"That's all I ask. So, how long before you go see him?"

"Who?"

"You know."

"I'm...not sure. I have a lot of thinking to do." Joe poured them both a drink and they sat there, talking, as the regular crowd shuffled in.

The End