Title: You Can't Change Who You Are

Author: Kate R.

Email: abelard950@aol.com

Disclaimer: Own nothing and no one used herein.

Fandom: Buffy/Dark Shadows/Highlander/Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter

Rating: PG-13 to R

Pairings: Xander/Spike, Giles/Ethan, Wes/Barnabas

Crossover: Dark Shadows/Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel

Summary: After an apocalypse takes all of Ai and Buffy, Willow and Tara, Wesley leaves, feeling unwanted. He ends up in Collins Port Maine. Helping a vampire---Again.

 

You Can't Change Who You Are
by Kate R.

 


Prologue: Home Town Hero

He'd fallen asleep in the basement of the elementary school. He hadn't had time to get back to the Old House before sunrise so he'd taken shelter here. He wasn't sure how many hours he slept but he woke up quite suddenly with a feeling that something was very, very wrong. He stood and listened with his supernatural hearing to see if he could figure out what and then it hit him. There was no noise. This was an elementary school; there should have been noise here.

He moved then, as quietly as he could, seeing it was still daytime but something had woken him: the silence in this school. Something told him this was very, very bad; whatever was happening.

He made his way up from the basement, finding the door unlocked and thinking how careless it was of the adults here to leave that door unlocked. And then, he saw the janitor, lying on the floor with a nasty cut on his head. Barnabas knelt by the man, checking his pulse and finding him alive. He carefully and quietly lifted the man and carried him into the basement to try and get him patched up. He hoped this man could help him; somehow, tell him what had gone on.

The man woke after a careful application of cold water to his face. He jerked, looking at Barnabas, as he seemed to be thinking.

"What happened?" Barnabas asked, his cultured voice telling the janitor who he was in the semi darkness.

"Mr. Collins," the man began nervously.

"I know who I am, and right now I don't have time to ask who you are but I need to know what happened."

"Why?" the Janitor asked.

And Barnabas chuckled darkly before he allowed his canines to extend to the sharpened points he normally kept hidden. "So I know whom to kill for this," he said.

"What are you?" The janitor asked.

Barnabas sighed. "Someone who can help," was all he said. "Now, what happened?"

The Janitor thought for a few minutes before he spoke. He had no choice really. This man was the only hope they had of saving the children. "There was a teacher fired a few months ago for improper behavior with some students," the janitor told him. "He came back today with a gang with guns. They took over the school, locked the teachers in the teacher's lounge, called all the parents and took the kids into a room with a giant glass window so the parents can see him violate their kids. I got whacked in the head. I didn't see them."

"How many?" Barnabas asked.

"At least five," the Janitor said. "I saw at least that many shadows before I lost consciousness, sir."

"Use my name," Barnabas told him. "You say Sir and I look for my father. Now, if I can get the guards on the teachers taken out, can you get them out of the building? The fewer bystanders in the way the better. The children are all in one place, correct?"

"Yes, sir," the man said. "I mean, Mr. Collins."

"My name is Barnabas," he said. "Now, follow me and stay quiet. I don't want you to be hit so stay behind me. I need to know where you are."

The janitor nodded and they set out. As they walked, Barnabas couldn't help wondering what the hell he was doing. He was a vampire, dammit. He wasn't supposed to care. And yet, he knew that was a damned lie. He may have been a vampire but he did care. They got to work on taking the gang out. It was slow going though. He had to take out members of the gang separately and that took time, as he had to lure them to him in some cases.

He sent the janitor to the teachers' lounge and got them out through the entrance he had used to get in that morning. He'd have to buy a new lock for that door but he'd known that was not how the gang got in. They'd have woken him if they'd passed him. That he knew for certain.

He soon had all but the leader and that was because the leader was with the children. In a sun filled room. He swallowed hard as he considered his options...option, as he knew there was really only one. He had to take that man out and he had to do it now. The man was getting antsy not being able to call his gang member friends and Barnabas knew the children were about to pay for it.

He'd already used fog and the howling dogs to disconcert the man, now there was just the last; he had to take him out and take him down and he really saw only one way to do it. He took a deep, unneeded breath and threw his cane against the wall to get the man's attention. The man's head snapped around; distracted from the children and Barnabas moved. He used his superior speed and agility to hit the man, knocking him backwards and away from the children. However, this action had consequences. In knocking the man away from the children, the momentum carried them both into the path of the last of the sun's rays. He felt the burning as he kicked the man out of the window and it took all of his strength not to scream as his arm burned. He staggered back away from he window and into the part of the room that was in shadows and he collapsed against the wall and slid don it, cradling his injured arm.

"Are you okay?" he heard a little voice ask.

He looked up as the teachers and parents ran in and he saw a doctor...Julia? Was with them. "I'll live," he told the child as she knelt by his side.

Julia was there then he flinched away form her but she was the only one he knew who could treat the burn.

"Barnabas," she said. "Why did you do this? Have you any idea how bad this is?"

"I'd say by the fact that I can barely feel it for the screaming pain shooting up and down the limb that it's bad. And as for why I did this? Have a look round this room and tell me what you see. Why the in Hell do you think I did this?"

"I think you need to leave," a woman Barnabas recognized as the town doctor told Julia. "I'll treat the burn. I know what I'm doing with physical maladies."

She knelt by Barnabas, displacing Julia, and she took his arm gently in her hands. He hissed but did not make a sound because he knew if he did he'd revert to the incredibly nasty and vicious swear words he'd learned at sea as a younger man.

"I'm going to have to send someone to my office to get what I need to treat this," she said. "You can't leave yet. The sun isn't completely down."

"I can feel that. Are the children okay?" he gritted out.

"Yes," the doctor said. She cut the sleeve of his coat back so she could see the extent and she hissed. "Dear god," she whispered. "I didn't know sunlight could really do this to a vampire."

"Not normally," he said. "However, remember I shoved that man out of the window. My arm caught the sun and the glass magnifying it. I will heal in time. I always do." "I bet it would go better if you had medical treatment along with whatever you normally do," she said. "I'll come to your place."

"Thank you but I wouldn't want you to get hurt," he said.

"I will be fine in time. I always am."

"And you just repeated yourself," the doctor said. "You aren't fine and you wont be for awhile. Now, let me treat this. Is there anyone who can apply this salve for you? Treating this alone is going to be hard."

"Willie," he said again hissing as the pain bit into his skin. He knew the fire from the sun had burned his nerves but he would endure. He'd had to twice before but it had never been deliberate on his part. This time, he'd known what the consequences of his actions would be. He just hadn't ever expected it to hurt like this.

"I'll have him sent for. Here, lean back. I think this would be easier if you were relaxed." He nodded and let he work on the burned flesh. He squeezed his eyes closed as the pain began to hit harder. He turned, feeling a hand on his arm, his uninjured arm, and he turned to see a child looking at him with concern. There were several children watching him.

"Thank you," she said as she hugged him.

He was surprised but allowed it.

"You're very welcome," he said as Willie and Roger who had come with him pulled him to his feet.

"Liz said you're staying at the New House for a few days," Roger said. "David's helping Vickie get your room ready. We're going to black it out for you during the day. Now, would you care to tell me why you didn't mention that you were The Barnabas Collins?"

"I'm rather attached to living?" Barnabas joked as he let Roger lead him out.

Willie picked his cane up and took the sedative the doctor gave him, she told him to give Barnabas two so he'd rest without pain when he went to sleep. Willie nodded and turned to follow him out. He knew he'd have to be there. Barnabas at least trusted him.

Although, sometimes he wished there was someone else for his friend and employer. He knew the vampire was lonely but he also knew he'd never found what he was looking for in any of those around him. Normal and sweet did not work for his friend. Maybe someday someone else would come though. Willie sighed as he got into the car with Roger. Barnabas was drifting off the sleep, the pain he was in making consciousness hard to hold on to but he'd done what he'd set out to do so Willie was glad. The only casualties were the ones who'd intended harm to the children. Willie knew the town would be grateful to Barnabas for a long time to come...a long time.

Now, if they could just get him to accept that he'd done something heroic...that would be a challenge but Willie had a feeling he wasn't going to be alone in that anymore. Thank God.

Chapter 1: Dawn of the Old Life

Wesley was preparing for his class of Junior English students when the door to the room opened. He had a familiar feeling of---Something and then he heard a voice behind him. One he had never thought he would hear again.

"Hi," she said. "I'm a transfer student. My name is Dawn Summers. But you already knew that, didn't you Wesley?"

"D-Dawn?" he whispered in shock as he slowly turned around.

She was facing him, same dark hair and blue eyes although the hair now had blond dyed into it. Two streaks on the sides were done in blond.

"Wesley!" She cried as she threw herself into his arms. "It's so good to see you. We've been looking everywhere for you."

"Y-you h-have?" he asked stuttering. He hadn't stuttered in two years. Not since meeting Barnabas.

"You bet your ass we have Watcher man," Faith said as she breezed into the classroom. "How in the Nine Levels Of Hell am I supposed to Slay Vampires without My Watcher? Besides which, G has been dragging us all over the country looking for you. He was worried when you up and vanished. We been everywhere looking' for you. Me and D here have been to like 10 schools in 2 years. This is the eleventh but since we finally found you maybe we can settle down."

"I can't go back," Wesley said.

He knew his fear had awakened

Barnabas and he sent a thought that he was okay, he'd just had a bit of a shock.

He and Barnabas had done a very ancient bonding ritual that gave him Barnabas' immortality and reflexes and gave Barnabas his heart and Soul. It also allowed them to sense each other's emotions.

"We aren't going back," Faith assured him. "None of us are. Not even Spike and Xander. Did you know vamps don't have ridges outside of California?"

"Yes," Wesley said. "Barnabas and I surmise it is because there is no Hellmouth here to influence them."

"Who is Barnabas?" Dawn asked as she took a seat. They still had twenty minutes before class would start.

"He's a vampire I work with out here. We're also---uhm---."

"You Carpe him," Faith said tactlessly.

Wesley stared at her having forgotten how blunt she was, and then, the strangest thing happened: He began to laugh. He hadn't realized how much he'd missed them until now.

"Yes," he admitted. "I, as you say, 'Carpe' him. Is anyone else here?"

"Giles is the new librarian," Faith said. "Ethan is the new History teacher. Giles likes his books and Ethan is actually a damn good teacher."

"That explains the note about the staff meeting after school in the Library. I shall have to call and tell Willy it'll be a bit later than normal today."

"Who is Willy?" Dawn asked.

"Barnabas' Major Domo," Wesley told them. "He usually picks me up here after work. I live out at the Collins House. I have a room at the New House but I spend a good deal of time with Barnabas in the Old house."

"You live in one of those two huge mansions we saw? That kicks Ass! I bet you could give me a real workout room. G tries but he can't find anyplace big enough that he can afford on his salary."

"I'll ask Barnabas when I call at lunch alright?" he asked.

Faith grinned and nodded. It would be great to spar with her Watcher again.

Giles was all well and good with her but Wes was Her Watcher. He was the one she needed. This so totally rocked. She had Her Watcher back. G was gonna be ecstatic.

OOOO

After school, Wesley made his way to the library where he was to be introduced to the new teachers. Dawn and Faith were in the office with that looked like Xander, doing their homework.

"Mr. Giles," the Principal was saying. "Mr. Rayne, this is Mr. Pryce. He's our English teacher. This is his second year with us. He's a fine teacher."

"Hello, Giles," Wesley said softly. "It's good to see you again."

"Wesley," Giles said. The other teachers all saw the emotion Giles was trying to suppress. "My boy, I am so sorry. We didn't realize how much you were hurting until you were gone."

"It wasn't your fault. You had your own grief," Wesley said.

Giles shook his head. "That's no excuse. Yes, Principal Dane, we know each other. Wesley and I worked together in Sunnydale High. We've been looking for him for the past 2 years. Xander, come out here and look who we finally found!"

The young man came out of the office and just stared before he ran over and grabbed Wesley in a hug.

"You're Alive!" Xander crowed happily.

Wesley gasped. "Air becoming an issue Xander," he said.

Xander set him down and just hugged him. "Wes, we've been looking everywhere for you!"

"So I've been told. We can talk after the meeting. I have someone I want you to meet but we have to pick Spike up on the way to the house."

"Okay," Xander said as he returned to the office to wait with the girls. To him, having Wesley back felt---right. They were together again.

Just like they needed to be.

This was great.

 


Chapter 2: The Clanless Vampire

Spike was waiting when they pulled up at the house Giles had bought here. Willy was driving them all out for some odd reason. Wesley suspected Barnabas wanted to meet those who were his family. He talked about them all enough.

Pulling up outside the Old House, Wesley chuckled as Dawn's jaw dropped. He'd had the same reaction his first time seeing it. Of course, Barnabas had finally finished restoring the house and was now working on the grounds. His first project was the pool because Wesley loved to swim, day or night. And Barnabas would join him in the water sometimes. Willy always laughed when they came in soaking wet in the summer. They used the pool at the new house this past summer but Elizabeth hadn't minded. Seeing Barnabas happy had been something she'd wanted for years.

"Welcome to the Old House," Wesley said as they got out of the car and walked towards the front door. Willy jogged ahead and opened it, ushering them in, as it was not yet sunset so Barnabas would not be downstairs yet.

The only completely sun proof rooms were Wesley's when the curtains were drawn and Barnabas' although, Wesley spent more time in Barnabas' room now than he did the one that had been given to him so he thought maybe Spike could have his old room.

"Hello, love," Barnabas said as he walked down the steps, skirting the last rays of sunlight. "How was your day?"

"It was---interesting," Wesley said.

Barnabas laughed then. "Yes, I felt that. I was worried I'd have to get Willy to bring me to you somehow. Are you alright?"

"I'm fine," Wesley said. "I want you to meet Spike, Alexander, Dawn, Faith, Giles and Ethan. I know I've talked about them a lot."

"Yes, that was the second thing I managed to pry out of you. The first was the pain. Willy was right, that had to be healed before anything else."

"I'm glad you were patient with me," Wesley said as Barnabas laid a kiss on his cheek.

"You were worth waiting for," Barnabas told him.

"You took care o' him?" Spike asked as he moved forward.

Barnabas nodded knowing who Spike was through his connection to Wesley.

"Thanks, mate," Spike said. "Little Pup here needed that. You two fight that darkness we felt entering this town?"

"For me, more than thirty years. For Wes, here, just 1. He spent a year on the road before he got here."

"I owe you. My Clan owes you. I know you ain't got one of your own so, if you'd like, I'd like to adopt you into mine."

"You'd do that?" Barnabas asked.

Spike nodded. "Like I said," the vampire told him. "I owe you. And I always pay my debts."

Barnabas nodded and sat down in an armchair pulling Wesley into his lap.

Giles smiled seeing the look of happiness on the younger man's face and he couldn't help his gentle smile in response. Wesley had what he wanted now. He was happy. And that was all that mattered to Giles.

 

Chapter 3: The House

"This is an amazing place, Mr. Collins," Xander was saying the next morning. Wesley was just waking up and he wondered why Xander was invading their room. It was Saturday for crying out loud.

"Thank you," Barnabas said. "But it is early for us on a Saturday. Could you come back in a bit? Wes is just now starting to wake up."

"Oh, sorry. Uhm, do you want maybe me and Spike could vamp proof the House?"

"Whyever for?" Barnabas asked, "Mr. Harris, I am not the only being who dwells in this house. My human family needs sunlight. I would not deprive them of that."

"But you could fry," Xander began. Barnabas chuckled.

"Every room in this house has two corners in shadow at all times. I know how to get around it during the day. I am certain William will be able to manage just fine as well. But, know this, I will not close this House up. It is as I want it to be."

"Ok," Xander said. He seemed worried but it wasn't his home.

Spike was in the shadowed hallway waiting. "Told you, whelp," the bleached vampire, said. "I can get around this place just fine. Ain't any need to close it up like that. He's lived here for more than 30 years an' done just fine. Let it be."

"I just want him to be safe," Xander said. "For Wesley."

"Whelp," Spike said with a sigh, "Barnabas Collins is as safe as he can be here. But he wants to Live, mate. Not hide in a closed up House. He wants his people to look out and see the sun when they want to. You can't try to make him like Peaches was. Wesley is a creature that needs sunlight and Barnabas knows this. Let it be. Now, come on, lets got see this Pool design they're working on. I hear Mr. Collins is gonna modernize it so it's heated and build an enclosure about it. Thinking you could help with that."

"Think he'd let me?"

"Likely, pet. You know he only wants the Best for his Wes,"

"Yes, my brother does love your Wesley," a girl's voice said.

They turned and saw a little girl of about Seven years old watching them. She was transparent though, which told Spike ghost.

"I'm Sarah Collins," she said to them. "Take Heed, Alexander and don't push my brother. It takes a lot for him to open his heart and home to people. He will be safe in this House, as will Spike. You needn't worry about that. But, you could help him, as he wants to rebuild the green house and restore the gardens. I'm sure someone who builds things could help him a great deal in those endeavors. Perhaps help him find night blooming flowers?"

"That I can do," Xander said. "And maybe he'll take advice on designs for the pool house?"

"I'm sure," Sarah said smiling. "Wesley has been so good for him, you wouldn't believe it. He smiles and laughs now. He's like he was when he was alive. It's such a good thing."

"Okay," Xander said. "I won't try to change him then. This place really is amazing though."

Sarah smiled then and walked forward taking their hands. "Let me show you around," she said.



Chapter 4: What Happened?

Barnabas left Wesley to sleep a little longer and went in search of Giles. Since bonding with Wesley he had gained partial immunity to the sun and he ate. He and Wes shared tastes for certain foods so Barnabas liked Chinese Food and Pizza the same as Wesley did. He liked books he knew he himself had never read but the memories from Wesley often prompted him to ask Willy to get the from the library so he could read them for himself. The people at the library offered to stay open for him to come in himself. They all knew who he was in the town. They all knew he protected them. They knew he had protected their town for Thirty Years so they did things for him.

But, when Wesley came, all his attention when not fighting vampires was on healing the young man who brought him such joy. The Town made Wesley feel welcome. They accepted him in because he mattered to their protector. Barnabas was aware that if Wesley needed something while he was in town that the townspeople would take care of him. He'd forgotten his wallet one day and Willy had called Maggie and Sam and told them. Sam had sent food over to the school for
Wesley. He said it was a small price to pay for the protection Wes gave them. They knew he fought with Barnabas.

Barnabas came back to the present as he found the group in the dinning room eating the breakfast Willy had prepared. He walked to the head of the table allowing them to see h could take indirect sunlight and his tolerance to direct was getting better. Wesley was giving him gifts as he was giving Wesley gifts.

"Good Morning Mr. Collins," Giles said. "Can we help you with something?"

"Yes," Barnabas said. "I'd like to know if you could perhaps tell me exactly what happened to make Wesley as damaged as he was when I met him. He told me everyone he called family died. He told me it was a fight but he did not say much beyond that."

"The Hell Mouth came within spitting distance of opening," Giles said softly. "His team came down from LA to help us fight it, stop it. Unfortunately, the Initiative was there and they did not care who they hit if it wasn't human. Charles Gunn was an accident they said. Everyone else they didn't care about. Spike taught them the error of their ways. His chip shorted out and he killed them all. He wiped out the Initiative. Ethan had gotten free and was helping us fight with powerful spells. They shot him in the back and once in the knee. There are days he uses a cane from the pain in his knee.

"Anyway, we buried our dead and then---Wesley must have felt we would not make him a part of our family and he left. I didn't realize he was gone and that makes me hurt. I never meant to do that to him."

"Damn," Barnabas muttered. "I was afraid of that. He alluded it was more than Demons an Vampires."

"It no longer matters, the Initiative was destroyed and when the government found out what they did, it was eliminated in its entirety. We'd like to stay here. We can help you and Wesley and to be honest none of us can handle the memories of California."

"Of course," Barnabas told them. "I had hoped I could convince you all to come here. The House has room and it was built for people to live in it."

"Thank you," Giles said. "That would be a very good idea I think."

"Heh heh, me too," a new voice said from the doorway. Barnabas spun to face it and his face lit up.

"How you doing, pup?" the man standing in the doorway asked.

"I am well, Father," he said.

The man chuckled. "I can feel. I heard from Willy you met your Soul. Is he doing better?"

"Yes," Barnabas told him. "I was hoping you could help me modernize the House so he can have his laptop computer and such set up here. Wesley likes it here with me but without electricity, he has to use that at the New House."

"I'm sure I can" the man said as he looked at those gathered.

"I'm Connor MacLeod. Barnabas here is my son. Yes, Mr. Giles, I'm one your society's Other Branch watches. Nice to meet you."

"Likewise," Giles responded in a weak voice. This was just too much. Wesley's Lover's Father was The Connor MacLeod. Dawson was going to Love this.



Chapter 5: Others

Giles sighed as he hung up the phone after talking to Joe Dawson over in Sea Couver. Joe was head of North American Operations. He'd been in shock when he had been told whom Barnabas Collins' father was and said Duncan, who was standing next to him, had just passed out. Giles sighed knowing Duncan would be on his way. Duncan MacLeod just did not understand none of your business as something that applied to him. He was dreading this.

"Hey, G-Man," Xander called as he walked from the New House where he had used the phone over to the old house. Connor was having electricity set up for the house as they worked. Right now it was a generator but he was having the house wired. Xander was helping him do it because Xander was great in construction. He was also doing it because Barnabas would not take money
for them for living in his house.

"Good afternoon, Xander," Giles said. "Could you tell Connor his clansman is likely going to turn up to get high minded on him? I didn't know he was standing by Joe when I called."

"Sure, what are you up to this afternoon?"

"More book restoration with Wesley and Ethan. Also sending for more of those fiction books Barnabas shares Wesley's memories about. He likes to read them himself."

"Cool," Xander said. "We'll be ready to start the wiring tomorrow. It's cool."

"Okay, you enjoy working with Connor and Willy?"

"Yeah, Spike helps us in the dark areas. He can see in the dark so no fire hazards and stuff. We're also replacing the dried out walls so no fire hazard. We're also doing the shell for the pool house."

"Excellent," Giles said. He smiled as he headed into the library. He had a feeling something other than Duncan MacLeod was coming but he did not know what.



Sunnydale, California

She was there after the cemetery was filled with a flash of light. Black haired, black eyes and reeking of evil magic. She smiled as she saw the grave markers but she frowned when she realized there were several missing. Giles wasn't dead and neither was Ethan. This was bad. She shook her head and looked through the town with her magic. No one was here and the Hellmouth was closed. So, where were they? She didn't like this. Where were her servants?

Willow shook her head. No matter, she would find them.

 


St. Louis Missouri

Anita Blake was reading a report and something occurred to her. "Jean-Claude," she called. "Why isn't there a Master in or near the town of Collins Port Maine?"

She stared as Jean-Claude paled.

"The Council does not bother Collins Port Maine," he said softly.

"They fear that town and the vampire who protects it."

"There is a vampire but he isn't a Master? Why don't they send someone in?"

"Because he has the powers your Dracula does. He has all of the powers of The Council. And the last time they sent someone to try to take that town, the emissary was sent back to France in a small box in pieces. We do not go near that town. No one on the Council would risk His wrath."

"Whose?" she asked confused. She'd never heard of anyone the Council feared.

"We do not speak his name," Asher said. "Not after what happened the last time we bothered him. Let it be Anita. If he wants to become part of the Council, he will but we learned a very long time ago NOT to try to force Him. He does not react well to threats or ultimatums. You would do well to stay clear of Collins Port. He will not allow you to come in as Jean-Claude's Human Servant. He will feel The Council and he will remove you from his town. Your badge does not matter there. Your Country took that place into consideration because the Entire town petitioned them. No Executioner is allowed in that town with weapons. Should an outlaw Vampire try to run there, He will deal with them. You must have noticed no vampire runs there. No one would dare challenge Him. No one is That Stupid. Now, do as we say and leave it alone."

"No," she said. "I want to know why. Why is it that town has separate laws."

"Because they made them. Their laws were in place before we became citizens. You want to go there fine, we will accompany you. But you may not take anything with you. If you do, you will be arrested and you will be put on trial. That town does not tolerate Your Kind there."

"My Kind?" she asked incredulously.

"Yes, Anita," Jean-Claude said. "Your Kind. Executioners. Everyone knows that if you are chasing a rogue vampire that if you chase him or her to Collins Port Maine you may say it is dealt with. He will deal with them because He is always alerted they are coming and He kills them. Do not do this, do not threaten the way that town runs. It runs far better than any city we control."

"I'm going and I'm taking my equipment."

"You will be arrested, Anita," Asher tried again. "You are not allowed to take it there. No Executioner is allowed to have vampire Slaying equipment in Collins Port. It is not allowed. It is---how do you say? Against The Law."

"I don't think they'd arrest a federal marshal," she began.

Jean-Claude shook his head.

"A crime fighting federal marshal? Non. You are not. You have a badge so you can chase vampires across state lines. In Collins Port, you will be arrested because Executioners are not permitted in the town. If there is a problem then He can and will handle it. I will go with you but I do not have the power to stop you being arrested and they will know who you are."

"Jean-Claude," she began.

He shook his head. "Go home and pack. I suppose you will just have to learn the hard way, just as The Council did. Now, I will call and tell Him we are coming because I do not wish to die."

He walked to his office. Asher looked at her and shook his head in disgust. She was about to learn a lesson. And he was going to laugh when she did. He would not be amused by her. And everyone knew He had all the old powers thought to be myths. He was more than a match for her.



Chapter 6: Meetings

Wesley woke up sensing Barnabas was angry about something. He opened his eyes and pulled him into a tight hug. Barnabas smiled at him as his stress level went down suddenly.

"We're going to have a visitor or three or more soon. I don't know when exactly. They may already be here. Jean-Claude was trying to reach me but the phone I use has been out the last two days. His Human Servant is an executioner. She is not allowed to bring weapons here but unlike others, she does not respect the law. She will come and I will have to deal with her. Enough of that though, do you want to tour the town with your friends tonight?"

"Yes," Wesley said. "I think I'd like that. It will be nice to show them around and introduce them to your extended family."

Barnabas chuckled then. Yes, his children. He did indeed love them. And they loved him as well. He had been their friend since the day he saved them, nearly torching himself in the process. His arm had been all but useless and had the parents decided to stake him he would not have been able to stop them. Instead, when he set the littlest child down, he had received applause and thank yous. He was not expecting that. He was expecting hatred but he had been given acceptance and now it was love. His town loved him and he loved them.

He still smiled at the memory of the doctor bandaging his arm and giving him salve for the burn, telling Willy how to apply it so Barnabas did not have to do it himself and showing them both how to properly dress wounds.

It had amazed him that the town had just accepted him in as one of their own and made him feel welcome. He woke up the next night and Willy told him there was fresh blood for him. That apparently the town had figured out something kept them safe and had connected 2 and 2 and come up with Barnabas Collins so they were going to help him in any way they could. That meant there was always firewood, if he got caught before dawn he could go to any house and be welcomed. He had never thought it would be this way when they found out. As he knew they would.

He came back to the present with Wesley smiling at him gently.

Tonight, he would introduce Wesley's Family to his family in town. It was an extremely extended family but his, nonetheless.

That evening after sunset, he led the group out for a walk. They had been there a week. It was time they met the town.

"It's Barnabas!" the children yelled happily as he walked through the residential streets.

He chuckled as they swarmed around him laughing and shrieking as children do. He smiled as they babbled about their school and such. It always amazed them that he could seemingly hear and comprehend more than 15 conversations at once. He was that good at things. He was kneeling down to be eye level with a little girl when he suddenly slammed to the ground.

"MONSTER!" A female voice screamed. "Touching a child!"

"Get off him!" the little one yelled grabbing her arm.

She swung pointing her gun at the child and the child really screamed in fear.

Barnabas reacted. He kicked his legs up sending her sprawling on the ground. He was on his feet in an instant and the next thing she did was shoot. He brought his arm up, the same one he set on fire some time ago but the damage had been severe. The Silver Bullet lodged into his arm but all it did was feel like a regular bullet. It did nothing to him.

She stared as he grabbed her throat. Her cross didn't hurt him, her gun didn't and he knew what he was doing. She kicked him in the stomach dropping him to the ground, and raised a sword.

She never got a chance to use it. Something hit her in the stomach and she fell to her knees. She looked up as did Barnabas, at Giles who was standing over her holding her sword. Behind him were most of the parents of this neighborhood.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Giles growled.

Anita stared at him. "That thing was attacking the children!" She screeched.

One of the parents laughed and a child looked at her like she was an idiot.

"No, he wasn't," the little girl said. "I was telling him about my puppy. My voice is softer than everyone else so he has to bring me up to his level or come down to mine."

"You were screaming afraid," Anita said.

The girl shook her head. "Not of Mr. Collins. Of you but not him. We always yell and scream when he's around. It's a game. He saved our lives. All of the kids in the elementary school, he saved us from a teacher who was molesting children and wanted us. He set his arm on fire and hurt himself real bad doing it to so you go away. And maybe spend some time in jail. He won't hurt us. You on the other hand we can't say that about."

"Miss Blake?" a voice said. "You are under arrest for bringing Executioner Weapons into our town. That is a crime in this town so I'm afraid you'll have to be processed and stand trial for it. And pray he doesn't press charges because there are plenty of witnesses that saw you attack him. If he doesn't do anything to you, there is a slim chance no one else will either but if he does press charges, you could be in for 5 years in our prison."

"Why? He's a monster, I was protecting people."

"He isn't the monster, lady," a boy said acidly.

"You are. All he was doing was talking to us and listening to us. You pointed a gun at my little sister and he had to save her because you were still pointing it at her when you pulled the trigger. You nearly killed a 4 year old little girl."

"And she will stand trial for that," Barnabas said. "I don't know what the hell she was thinking pointing that gun in a crowd of children and I don't care that she jumped me. I do care that she did not point the gun at me before she fired. My arm will heal, as the burns have healed---more or less."

"I'm human!" Anita shouted as she was led away in handcuffs. "You can't take the word of a monster over that of a human!"

"As the kids said, lady," Walt the Sheriff said. "He isn't the monster hereabouts. You are. Now shut up and get moving because I am not in a mood to deal with your shit. That little girl you nearly killed is my daughter."



7: Complaining, Resurrection and Clansmen

The next night, Jean-Claude went to the prison to see Anita. She was sitting in the jail cell with a murderous look on her face.

"We warned you, Ma Petite," he said. "We warned you not to bring weapons into this town. What were you thinking?"

"He's a Monster," Anita said. "A corpse. How can they side with him over me?"

Jean-Claude sighed and shook his head. "This town loves him, Ma Petite," he told her. "Not because of a thrall but because he has protected them for more than 200 years. He has guarded this town and all those who live in it and they know it. He has never hurt them, if he had to feed on one of them, he did not kill and he made it feel good. He is what the old ones refer to as a Liege. Those humans in his territory are his to protect and he does. It is the way it was for centuries before your precious church killed them all for being different. You have no right to cast stones and you had better hope He will let you go or you will be here for five years."

"Why?" she asked.

Jean-Claude shook his head. "You nearly shot a four year old little girl, Ma Petite. That is a felony in any state. What were you thinking pulling a gun in a crowd of children?"

"I was thinking those children were in danger," she began.

"No, you were not. You were thinking all vampires are evil without even giving him a chance. And you proved nothing more than that you are a worse Monster and a bigger Bigot than any vampire could be. I will speak with Him and see if I can't help you. But I make no promises. As Asher told you, He has very limited tolerance for anyone associated with the council."

"You can't leave me here," she said.

Jean-Claude sighed. "I cannot fight the law here. You were warned and Asher will testify to it in court. You were warned about the law here, as part of your Federal marshal training certification thing you would have been told of the law here. You ignored both things. Do not blame me for this mess."

"Fine," she snapped. "But get me out of here. I want that vampire."

"He did not do anything but defend the children. With that attitude you will be expelled from this town and never allowed to return. Don't do this. Don't make this personal. You will not live through it and the courts will side with him. He has far more worth than any executioner."

She huffed and sat down angrily.

Jean-Claude sighed and went back to the motel. He would now have to begin negotiations for her return. He feared he knew what Barnabas would demand for this and he knew if he wanted her out of jail she would lose her federal status and this would bring all executioners in to be evaluated for abuses of power.

It needed to be done, yes but the fact that it was Anita who was arrested would damage her press love. And she would lose her position with RIPIT as Sgt. Storr was about to. This would reveal ugliness in the power given to people to be unfair to those of preternatural origin and it would not be good to those who had abused the power they were given. Anita had just made herself many enemies. Jean-Claude hoped she was ready to lose her friends. Because he knew she would.


OOO

In the Old House of Collinwood, A joyous celebration was going on. Something wonderful had happened. Something no one had expected but had occurred. Three people ahd been resurrected. Sarah Collins and Angelus and his souled counterpart Angel, now called Liam, as was his birth name, had all been restored to life when the last of the curse was expelled from Barnabas and the house. Barnabas was now an immortal with vampiric traits.

Liam was the same, Angelus as well and Sarah was a 10-year-old Pre-Immortal. Those who lived in the house were having a pizza party to celebrate this wonderful thing.

Somehow, Spike was also affected. As were Wesley, Xander, Dawn, Faith, Giles and Ethan. All of them were now immortal. All of them knew it was something special they had been given.

Barnabas' arm was healed, Ethan's Back and leg were healed and the chip was gone from Spike. This was cause for celebration for all of them so celebrating they were.

Connor chuckled knowing they were all bonded now and he was as well because he was there. None of them would ever fight. Connor chuckled wondering if he could blend the two joinings. Jenny would want to meet his children and as he looked at Liam, he knew she would want to meet Duncan's son as well. If Duncan would ever acknowledge him.

Speaking of Duncan---.

"Connor!" Duncan yelled as he entered the house. "What were you thinking taking a child away from his mortal family?"



Chapter 8: Explaining To The Idiot

Duncan was not given a chance to say anything else before someone or something hit him in the face. He found himself staring up at a man who looked at him with absolute hatred. The man answered his question before Connor could say a word and what he said was like a slap in the face to Duncan:

"Because," the dark man said. "Unlike you, he actually loved his son."

"Who are you?" Duncan asked bewildered.

"Me?" the dark man asked. "I'm no one you want to know. I'm the one who spent 80 fucking years protecting your son from pain. Yes, your son. Him!"

Duncan stared at the young man with dark hair who was a shorthaired ringer for the one who hit and stared as he realized who it was.

The young man looked back at him with tortured eyes.

"Why did you hate me?" he asked as tears spilled down his cheeks. "What did I do wrong when I was born?"

"You Sonuvabitch!" Spike snarled and lunged.

A girl with honey brown hair pulled into a long braid appeared but was not fast enough to stop Spike's punch to Duncan's face.

"He was your son and you left him with that bastard O'Rourke knowing what he did to the boy! You sick Sonuvabitch!"

"What did this O'Rourke guy do?" the girl asked.

She'd stopped when Spike roared.

"He raped a 4 year old little boy and horse whipped him for things no one would consider bad! That's what your friend here allowed!"

"Duncan?" she asked looking at him with stricken eyes.

He looked away ashamed and she hauled off and hit him. "What was wrong with you?!?"

"He didn't care," Connor said quietly. "He gave the boy up and then forgot about him. My son on the other hand, when I found out he was being abused at the age of 10 years old, I took him back. I found out he was to be sent to boarding school 3 years too early and that a group of female pirates who had taste for boys to train them as pleasure slaves had been paid to take him off the ship. I stopped it. He was ten years old, Joe. He was a baby and his Mortal Father was going to do that to him. Not a chance in Hell was I allowing it. I took him away and I raised him myself. I taught him to be my son, to love the sea, to sail a ship, to read, to write to count to add and to be a shrewd businessman. I taught my son everything those damnable schools would have taught him only I did not beak his spirit. I loved my son Duncan. I loved him enough to correct the mistake I made leaving him in Joshua Collins' clutches. I cared enough to take him back. I cared enough to admit I screwed up. I loved him enough to go after him and to make sure he knew someone loved him. Someone cared about him and that he had worth. A pity you could not do the same for your son. Because of your rejection, Liam O'Rourke grew up living down to his Mortal Father's words. He became what he was told over and over he would. All thanks to you not giving a damn about what happened after you abandoned him. So just you keep your damned mouth shut about why I took my son back. Because if you persist, I'll ask you why you didn't save yours!"

Angel was sitting on the floor now, quietly crying and Angelus was standing over him protectively. Wesley stared at Duncan with out right hatred. Liam/Angel was his best friend. That this man who was his father had been incapable of loving him disgusted Wesley. How could one live as long as Duncan had before Liam was born and not love the gift he was given?

The answer was simple: Duncan MacLeod was a self centered Sorry assed Sonuvabitch who had no idea what he gave up hen he left his son. Wesley hoped someone taught him a lesson about it. Because if anyone needed one it was Duncan the asshole MacLeod.

OOO

In the town proper, Anita was being released into the custody of two real feds who kept her in cuffs as they led her out. They should have known someone like her would disregard the law. They should have known.

"Be glad He was in a forgiving mood," one suit told her as she was put in the back of the sedan still in cuffs. "If you ever go back to that town you will be arrested and spend the next ten years in jail. Oh, and, your federal status is gone and thanks to you Every Executioner and the head and members of any Preternatural Investigations group are going to be hauled and evaluated for misconduct, prejudices and biases. I hope you're happy because I know a lot of people who won't be. I think this new law about who heads Preternatural Units will be called Blake's Folly. Be happy, you get a law named after you."

 


Chapter 9: In Memoriam

Angel was walking through the Collins Family Cemetery the next night when he came across the Memorial stone that had been erected. He smiled gently as he read it.

"In Memoriam of all those who gave their lives at Boca Del Inferno. Your Sacrifice will never be forgotten."

"They wanted you to be remembered," Wesley said from behind him. "Barnabas had it placed when he found out what happened to destroy me inside. He told me that you would be proud of me for continuing the fight."

"He was right, Wes," Angel said. "I don't remember everything about being dead but I remember watching over you. I remember being proud of you for fighting on even though you thought you were alone. You were never alone, Wes. We were always watching over you. And God, but you made me so proud. You honored me, Wes. Honored me in a way I never thought anyone would. You continued my mission. You helped the helpless. Wes that made me so proud."

"But I nearly failed."

"So did I," Angel answered. "I only succeeded because I had my friends. Once you had your friends, you did better. You did it, Wes. You kept the Faith. You kept my mission alive. I thank you for that, I thank you so much."

"I---I just wanted to remember."

"And you did. You remembered and you cared. Wes, I thought I would be forgotten when I died but I wasn't. You remembered me. So, thank you. Thank you with all my heart."

"You're welcome," Wesley replied softly.

Angel chuckled and then caught sight of something. He moved and tackled the being to the ground.

"Who are you and what the hell are you doing in this town?" he asked.

"My name is Jean-Claude. I am the Master of St. Louis. I would speak to Monsieur Barnabas about the status of my Human Servant."

"The answer is no, Jean-Claude," Barnabas said from behind. "I have made a request and brought formal charges. I will not take them back Not even for you."



Chapter 10: You Can't Change

A month had passed since Anita had been removed. In that time marked changes had taken place in the Laws. No longer were prejudiced people allowed to head Preternatural Investigations groups. Federal Status had been pulled from all Executioners pending serious investigations of all who had been grand fathered in. People who had been thought above reproach had been found to have disgustingly prejudiced minds and it was being dealt with. All this had happened but it seemed unimportant to the group in Maine. They were celebrating a healing that had taken 2 years to bring about.

It was important to people in England, though. The Council of Watchers was following events and they did not like what they were seeing. All of the prejudices they had been careful to build were being destroyed. All of their thoughts and traditions were being proven to be silly.

Something had to be done.

And they decided to start with bringing in the two rogues: Wesley Wyndham-Pryce and Rupert Giles. It was past time to take those two in hand and reestablish council control over the Slayers.

Starting with getting Faith to knuckle under. Yes, it was time indeed.

"I'll go and get my bastard, failure of a son," Jonothan Wyndham-Pryce said. "It's time he came home and took a real punishment for what he's done."

"Good," Travers said. He would go as well. Once the team was assembled, they left to prepare to leave. It was far past time.

"Do you think we can get those two and the children reconditioned to our way of thinking?" Nigel asked. Travers nodded.

"Of course. After all, they can't change who they are and where they came from. Everyone knows that. You can't change who you are."

END PART 10