Title: Broken Hearts and Ebony Wings

Author: Jessi B.

E-mail: shadowrider@blomand.net

Fandom: Xena/Hercules

Pairings: Cupid/Psyche, Cupid/Strife

Summary: A miraculous birth, Psyche meets the War gods, and Cupid...acts a bit like a...*cough* doo doo head

Notes: My first try at this fandom, and I'm so outside cannon it's awful...But it's been in my head a LONG time (mostly b/c I read almost everything at arescupidjoxer.com :p). Ok, I drew more on the Psyche from legend then from the show. I also made up the Deimos/Phobos look, not meant to be the Deimos from the show. Hope you enjoy! Comments welcome, Constructive criticism welcome, flames laughed and jeered at.

PS: Grammar/spelling mistakes are all me, any Betas out there want to adopt a writer?


Broken Hearts and Ebony Wings
By Jessi B


The Legend of Ebony:
And so with Love's denial
Mischief went to battle
And when careless mortal
Blade pierced his flesh
The love within was given
Life of its own choosing
And upon the grounds of
War was born Ebony


"Fuck!" Strife snarled as a sword sliced his hand. Ares glanced his way brow furrowed with worry. His second in command was usually able to walk among the battling participants with an ease that bordered on ridiculous. The War God turned back to keep an eye on some of his chosen warriors, but spun back around when a burst of godly power erupted from Strife's area.

Strife had knelt, where his blood touched the ground it glowed, one lone tear escaped the Mischief God. As tear touched blood something happened. With an explosion of energy a new thread was added to the tapestry. Strife found himself looking down into two big blue eyes, eyes belonging to a very naked little baby girl laying in the muck of battle. Before he even realized it he had scooped her up to protect her skull from a solder's foot. The battle around them had stilled for a moment and later men would whisper of the mysterious birth of a godling. Small black wings covered in baby down lay against her back and the god held her to his leather-covered chest where she settled easily.

He saw Ares appear before him, heard his mother's voice and was grateful when he was whisked away from the battle. Because for the moment the child in his arms was all he saw.

***

"He's in his room, resting, I put some...baby clothes on the kid," Discord muttered, dropping into a chair at the round table. The large war planning room was usually used to plan battles or discuss situations that needed the House of War's attention. Tonight Deimos, Phobos, Ares, and Discord were using it to discuss the events on the battlefield.

"No one knows yet," Phobos murmured, an almost hopeful look in his eyes.

"The wings...miraculous or not we know who's it is..." Discord said. She played nervously with a throwing knife.

"But...he doesn't know yet..." Deimos insisted, blonde hair falling around his face as he nervously played with it. His twin's hand slid into his to still the twitching. The two gods looked almost exactly alike, both muscular yet trim, an interesting combination of Aphrodite and Ares. But where Phobos was ebony haired Deimos blonde blonde.

"We keep this among ourselves," Ares said finally and there was a massive relieved expelling of breath. "For as long as we can..."

***

Strife watched the baby sleep, his hand on her stomach. She was so tiny, so beautiful, and...his. At least as long as he could keep her.

"Strife?" His mother's unusually soft voice brought his head up. She held a small water skin up. "This...It's one of yours ya ain't exactly equipped..."

"Thanks Ma," He smiled and Eris came to sit on the child's other side. "She's gonna need a name..."

"Be better then callin' her, 'Kid'," Discord agreed.

"I'm thinkin'...maybe...Ebony?" Strife murmured, almost jerking back when the child woke and fussed lightly.

"Think she knows her name..." His mother grinned. She passed the skin, now filled with milk, to her son. He carefully picked the fussing baby up and settled her against his chest, she took her first meal eagerly, bright blue eyes looking up to find her parent's face.

"How's it goin'?" Deimos murmured hesitantly from the doorway. Phobos was watching chin propped on his twin's shoulder. "She finally wake up?"

"Yeah, and she's 'bout ta drain this thing..." Strife muttered, grinning when his cousins closed in around them. Ares was the last to arrive and he let a rare soft smile appear on his face.

"This a private party or can anyone join?" Laughter met the comment and he went to stand by his sister, fingers ghosting over the dark blonde tuft of hair on the baby's head. "She's beautiful, Strife..."

***

"Where ya headed, babe?" Cupid had just appeared between jobs and found Psyche with Bliss' bag over her shoulder and the wiggling child in her arms.

"To see your father," She shifted and her thin butterfly like wings caught the light. They had grown shortly after her godhood had settled and been well...a godsend when it came to their son. "Aphrodite suggested it and I think it's a good idea..."

"Babe...he's a War God are you sure..."

"Cupid! He's also your father, and 'Dite said he'd been wanting to see Bliss..." Bliss flapped and seemed to lift from her arms a bit. His mother gave him a hard look and he settled again giggling. "And it's time I met someone besides the gods in Love and people wanting to use me..."

"Psyche, that's not..." And stopped at his wife's raised eyebrow. "Ok, well, it's god politics...but the War Gods are...dangerous Psyche."

"That's not what your mother says and I think it's time I formed my own opinions...Now, aren't you supposed to be doing something for Aphrodite?"

With a sigh and a worried look Cupid vanished. Psyche shook a piece of chestnut hair from her face and walked out.

Olympus was interesting enough when you first got there but after a while it was just...boring. Cupid and her temple was one of many scattered around beside the main temple of Love. And though she'd learned to adore her mother in law she couldn't stand her decorating. Pink was...pink. Luckily Cupid hadn't been attached to the color scheme, in fact she was told she was welcome to change it. Unfortunately Cupid kept forgetting she wasn't always a god. So until he taught her to do the flashy quick decorating or got her a pail of paint it was staying pink inside their place.

Following Aphrodite's directions she soon found the main temple of War. It was as large and black as Aphrodite's place was pink and airy. She hesitated at the door, knowing gods usually just flashed in, but she had been taught a different set of manners in the mortal realm. And if people weren't supposed to knock why was the large brass knocker there? Hesitantly reaching up she raised the knocker and let it fall. There was a loud thundering sound and then silence. From within there was shuffling and then the door opened to reveal a confused looking blonde man in the black leather.

"Ummm...hi, Psyche right?" She nodded hesitantly, biting her lip. "Right, you...need somethin'?"

"Well...I'm...That is...I thought I'd bring Bliss...to see his grandfather...unless...unless he's busy, I could come back..." She felt very stupid and very human suddenly.

"No! No, come in..." The door was thrown open and Psyche was given but a moment to wonder at the pleased but shocked look on the man's face before she was pulled into the dark halls of War. Torches lit and bathed the room in a warm glow. "I'm Deimos, don't go anywhere, I'll be right back with Dad..." And he was gone.

She stood uneasily in the room, biting her lip and feeling out of place. The room was huge and a large round table set in the center with maps all over it, another larger map was tacked to the wall and as she watched the paint shifted and a marked area moved. Bliss had been fussy, sensing his mother's nervousness, but he didn't seem in the least upset now within the temple, in fact he had relaxed against his mother. Taking her cue from the little God of Happiness she too tried to relax. Then jumped as multiple gods came into being just in front of her.

Ares appeared with a confused look on his face, he was dressed in bloody leathers, as was his twin sister Eris, who appeared a moment later, then another dark haired man who looked to be Deimos' darker reflection, and finally a thinner pale man in an outfit covered in curious silver rings and pins, his hair was spiky and mused. Deimos was still absent, but she was more concerned about being the attention of almost all the War gods.

"Get rid of the blood Ma, Unc, you'll freak the kid..." The pale spiky haired god grinned at her. "Hey, they call me Strife, ya're Psyche, right?" She nodded and watched in amazement as the blood and gore vanished from the embarrassed senior War gods. "Ya prolly met Unc Ares and my ma Eris and this is Phobos, he's Deimos' twin."

"Hi, yeah, I'm Psyche, this is...Bliss." She gently coaxed the hiding godling from her hair. "Bliss, honey, say hi to your Grandpa Ares..."

"Hi, Ganpa 'Res..." The little one peeked out and smiled. Ares smiled back, not the War God smile, no it was a delighted grandfather smile. "Do you want to hold him? He's growing so fast! I mean he's only one...and he looks like he's three..."

"Gods do that sometimes," Ares murmured, taking the child. The boy went trustingly to him, snuggling close under Ares' chin. "Apollo and Artemis really did grow up fast, not in a day, but in a week."

"I'm just glad that he's still iffy on walking, I've already tethered him to the bed...I know it sounds awful but I don't know how to fly well yet and Cupid's always busy..."

"Hasn't Cupe taught you to track Bliss yet?" Phobos asked, handing the child a suddenly there chew ring, made of leather of course.

"No...I...I couldn't well...poof to him anyway, or bring him down to me..." She sounded embarrassed. The War gods looked up from the baby, startled.

"Ya mean no one's taught ya to do the god bit?" Discord asked finally.

"Well...Aphrodite and Cupid are busy and..."

"It doesn't matter," Ares said firmly, letting his sister take the child, who was reaching for her. Bliss chewed happily on the ring, he may have looked three but he still wasn't done teething. He giggled as Strife made faces at him. "If you'll be raising Bliss you'll have to know a lot of basics, just to keep up with him..."

"I know...but..."

"No but's, we'll start teaching you," Ares nodded to Phobos. "Walk her through a...'poof'."

"K," The god appeared right beside her with a grin. "It's not that bad, just kind of something you don't think about after a while..."

***

"You did it!" Strife cheered, Psyche laughed and collapsed in the chair she'd been aiming for.

"Yeah, but it's just across the room..." She pointed out.

"Hey, the first few times me and Deimos tried we moved like, in the wrong direction, Mom found us in the yard instead of across the room..." Phobos grinned. "It'll get easier the more you do it..."

"Has Cupid taught ya about your temples and power base and stuff?" Discord asked, tucking a blanket around Bliss. The child was sound asleep, hands clutching a wooden sword that Strife had made for him, he'd fallen asleep in a pile of cushions that Ares had made. All of them admittedly were in dark reds and blacks but still fluffy and the best place to get a story, according to Ares who was stroking the curly head resting on his lap.

"No..." The gods shook their heads.

"We'll help ya get the temples and stuff done if ya want, come by tomorrow, just come on in," Strife added. "The doors will open for you." Ares handed her a blanket wrapped Bliss, still napping.

***

"Did Bliss and Arey have a good visit?" Aphrodite asked, tickling her grandson.

"They did, I like Ares. He seems...like a good grandpa," Psyche smiled. "Is Cupid...?"

"Still busy, hon," Aphrodite said regretfully, turning away from her daughter-in-law before she saw the lie. "So, did Eris and the other's get see him?"

"Yes, they almost all came..." She hesitated. "They...they taught me to 'poof', at least to a chair across the room..."

"Isn't Cupie helping you with that?" The Love goddess sounded startled. "I mean, that was kinda in with the whole deal. He should have already taught you the basics..."

"He...he's busy a lot..." Psyche said softly. "Aphrodite?" The former mortal's serious tone brought her around to face the girl.

"I...I don't think he...He didn't expect me to be...this way..." She whispered finally, quietly beginning to stroke and groom her son's wings. The boy happily settled down. "When he found me...when he disobeyed you...I was still a princess, I was hiding in the castle, tired of being fawned over. I just wanted someone to like me...ME. Not 'Psyche the beautiful', not the princess...and he did. I don't think he likes who I'm becoming though."

"Psyche he's..."

"It's ok, but maybe it'd be better if I stayed with you a while. So he can actually come home sometimes..."

***

"She's taking to her godhood well then," Anteros murmured as he listened to his mother. The God of Slighted Love and Love's Opposer quietly counted his arrows out. His black hair fell straight and was braided down his back to his waist. "She is the Goddess of Soul and Mind, Mom. She's gotta be able to pick up on these things..."

"Cupie's being an ass, I mean, he's just avoiding stuff. He's a Love God, Anteros, he should so know this is bad for a relationship..." Aphrodite sighed and settled on the bench as her son checked his list.

"He's all in the falling in love area, Mom. Not the rest, I mean, Strife let him get away with tons of crap because..."

"Yeah..." His mother sighed, toying with a curl. "Psyche took Bliss to see Ares..."

"I bet Dad was thrilled..."

"Heph says he was bouncing when he came to pick up some things, and the other War Gods are the same way. Even Strife's kinda less glum..."

"Days like this...I really hate the Z ya know?" The Love god murmured softly. "I wish...Dad's...he's so good with kids, ya know? I just wish I'd gotten more time..."

"I know..." Aphrodite turned away, eyes unusually somber. "He loves you guys so fucking much, and Cupe's the only one isn't on the clue wagon..."

"It took us a while too, Mom..."

***

Anteros still vividly recalled the first time after what they called the Separation. It was on one of his more bloody slighted love runs. The man had killed himself after an obsession arrow had left him desperately in love with a woman who would never love him back, just revenge for forcing his own lover to suicide but...

He had been throwing up beside a rock when an arm had settled quietly over his back. The same someone gave him a goblet of water and got him to sit on the rock. The God of War stood over him quietly, not judging, just waiting for him to recover his wits.

"Dad...?" He'd husked out, voice breaking. He hadn't seen his father since Zeus had ordered him not to at the age of ten. Just like the other children of the House of War.

"Anteros," Ares returned softly. The younger god lasted a moment, then he tossed himself desperately at his father. The War God held him tightly and took them away from the death. Ares had him lie down on a large bed and put a cool cloth over his eyes.

"It's always bad the first time," He said finally when his son had settled down a bit. "War God or Love God, trained or not, the first time you see someone's life fade because of you...it hurts you soul deep, gives you a sense of your power."

"Does it get better? Do you get used to it?" The Love God whispered.

"Not if you're a good god, the moment you become cold to the mortals you help you stop really helping. You learn to understand them better through death. You learn what death is. Mortals have a real sense of it, they don't have an eternity and so they appreciate the now, and live with the fact that end will come. It's one of the things that I admire about them." Ares absently took the cloth and re-wet it. "Rest, I'll tell your mom where you are..."

"Dad..." Anteros peeked from under the cloth at his father. "Thanks." Ares smiled softly and shrugged.

"You're my son, and whether Zeus likes it or not I won't see you suffer if I can help it..." He flashed out and left a thoughtful godling behind him.

***

"I woke up with him watching me..." Anteros smiled softly at the memory. "Like he was afraid I was going to vanish...I'm glad Psyche didn't let herself be turned against him..."

"I hate to admit I was wrong but...she's ok. She's gonna be good for Cupie. I just worry about our little Mischief..."

***

"Hey, Doll," Strife lifted the crying child into his arms. "How we doin'?" The child sniffed and quieted, cooing up at her father. "Just a little lonely huh? Well, I guess you can bunk wit me tonight..."

This seemed to make Ebony happy and she tried to reach his dangling earring.

"Nu-uh, none o' that till you're old enough for yer own..." She flapped her wings a bit as she was settled, on his shoulder and he checked the wards around the area. /"No mistakes this time..."/ his mother had whispered as they had painstakingly erected the shield within the War's usual shieldings. It blocked the little goddesses' signature and her cries. It was the same type that his mother had used, with the aid of illusions, to hide his own birth.

He remembered his early years, playing happily among the War Gods, his mother's fierce embrace. But he was a secret, always a secret, when the other gods were sensed by the shields he was swept away to another room. A human midwife had delivered him and then Ares had wiped her memory. The youngest member of War's House had been hopelessly fawned over and adored by the others.

Then his godhood had begun to form when he around five. It happened in all gods at varying ages. Unfortunately the shields then hadn't blocked it. Zeus had been furious. He still remembered being ripped from his mother's chest, crying all the while. Aphrodite had stepped in and begged to be allowed to take him. She pointed out that she could raise and had raised War Gods. It was granted only when Hera forced the matter.

It wasn't that he didn't like the House of Love too, he'd adored Aphrodite and his new family as much as his old. But he'd wanted his mother. 'Dite had snuck him to his mother's many nights, but he was forced back by the worry Zeus would find out.

His mother still resented Aphrodite for it. She'd missed the things that a mother should be there for, his first tooth coming out, his first sparkings of power, the disasters he managed to make, and most of all him. He knew for a fact she still had carefully preserved scrolls with his drawings and handprints, that she had his first attempt at writing her a note, his first tooth, and a lock of his hair. All tucked away, hidden as all the War God's hid things. Because to love someone in the open invited ridicule and even the taking of that someone. So they loved quietly, in the shadow.

Putting extra shields and blocks around his own room he flashed in and settled with his daughter on the bed. Putting a pillow on her other side, just in case, he watched Ebony fight with sleep, then finally drift to her dreams. Smiling lightly he followed her.

***

"Psyche's here..." Phobos said, swooping Ebony up to be tickled. Deimos smiled and took his turn with the baby.

"It's our turn to Ebony-sit, you go help her out, Bliss is asking 'bout ya..." The blonde twin grinned.

"Thanks, catch you guys later..." Walking into the main hall he was slamned into by a happy blonde godling.

"Stife!"

"Hey, kid, you're sure fired up, ya loose your Mommy? Or just hide her?" Bliss giggled and pointed back to a tired looking Psyche who was smiling at them. "Ahhh...there she is. You wanna go play with some other kids?" The boy nodded eagerly. "C'mon, Psych, I'll take ya ta one of my temples." They flashed out and Psyche looked around the little temple they were in curiously. A priest, evident only because he wore Strife's symbol around his neck, he was otherwise dressed in plain clothes. He bowed lightly then grinned.

"My Lord..."

"Hey, Fairus, this is Psyche, new Goddess of the Mind and Cupid's wife," Psyche saw something flicker over the man's face at the introduction, but it was just as quickly gone. "And the kid with feathas here is the one and only Bliss, our future God of Happiness. Where're the kids?"

"They're in the gardens, I could..."

"Naw, let 'em play, take Bliss out to meet 'em would ya?" Turning his gaze to Bliss Strife's voice turned stern. "These kids is human, kid, so be nice and don't fly off, understand?" Bliss nodded solemnly.

"Pomise," He affirmed. Smiling the god handed him off to the priest who smiled and immediately started talking to the child about his favorite toys and such.

"Kids?" Psyche asked softly.

"Yeah, my main worshippers are kids, I keep a few adults, but mostly I loose 'em to other gods when they get older. "I got jesters and jokers and such and even a couple o' thieves here and there. Now, onta your stuff..." Snapping his fingers a map appeared on the alter. "Now, we need to get you some temples started, by the time ya get your powers perfected they'll be done..."

"You've got a lot more confidence in me then I do..." Psyche sighed, coming over to stand by Strife. "I'm not sure I'm good at being a god..."

"Takes practice, ya just kinda got it all shoved on ya, you'll be fine. Here, we need to get one in a large city, like Corinth and one in your hometown. After that you let the mortals run with it, when your worship base starts takin' off ya'll get more. We'll start some of Hephaestus' favorites on your home temple, with some godly help o' course, and ask Iphicles to start one for you. You'll need to make a couple of appearances. It'd be good for Iphicles ta meet ya...and I bet you'd like ta see some o' your old friends and family..."

"Not so much as you might think," Psyche smiled. "Mother died when I was young and Father...Father saw as means to expand his power. My sisters all hated me and after a while I wasn't allowed to leave the castle...But, yes, I'd like to ask King Iphicles personally, I've heard Uncle Hercules speak of him."

"You and Herc close?" Strife asked absently, making the map vanish.

"He was the only one who never saw me as an object, he always brought me things from his trips. Not 'girl' things, but scrolls of stories, or an Amazon facemask. I think that's why I thought I was in love with him." She smiled softly then shrugged. "Anyway, you're the teacher, what do we learn today?"

***

An hour later, after numerous 'poofs' and trying make things appear and vanish, Psyche leaned tiredly against the alter and watched Strife get mobbed by a group of children. There were about a dozen of them and Strife knew every name and age. He held Bliss and the youngest boy, about four, in his arms as he listened to them, laughing and talking excitedly.

"We found a bird's nest in our barn..."

"And I lost my tooth..."

"Daddy's back from war and..."

Their voices were a pleasant jumble as she rested and watched them. Bliss lay his head contently on Strife's shoulder, as proud as a peacock he was known as 'Strife's friend'. The children finally wound down and some of them left until only the boy Strife held and three other's remained.

"Dara you take Cornelius here and get some lunch ok? Fairus'll help ya, I gotta go do some god stuff..." He received hugs dutifully and sent them off, walking back to Psyche. "They're my temple kids, sleep here and stuff." He explained shrugging. "C'mon, Unk wants me to bring you to one of his campaigns to help ya with your mind power stuff. It's not a huge war or nuthin' just a border guard. I'm gonna go ahead with Bliss and you do what I showed you to track and follow, k?"

Psyche nodded swallowing hard, but Strife's obvious faith in her bolstered her spirits. As her son and the Mischief God flashed out she closed her eyes, finding her son's presence, beside it she felt Strife's own energy, chaotic and...yet somehow calm. Concentrating around them she found a tent and another God, Ares' she assumed. Aiming carefully between them she 'poofed'. Opening one eye hesitantly she met the bemused gaze of Ares and sighed with relief. Then jumped off the table with as much dignity as she could muster. Strife laughed, but there was no cruelness to the sound, just genuine amusement. She glared and punched him playfully in the shoulder, which made her son giggle.

"You made it, that's the point," Ares said sternly. "Now, I'm going to be calling in two men. One is a suspected traitor, the other loyal to me. You tell me which is which..."

**********

Psyche collapsed in her bed, glad the day was done. She was exhausted, but she also felt a growing sense of accomplishment. The once mortal had learned to read the minds and hearts of mortals with an ease both war gods had told her was astounding. Someone knocked with a sigh she opened it with a flick of power.

"Hey! Not bad, lessons going ok?" Aphrodite asked, moving to sit on the bed's edge by her harried looking daughter-in-law.

"Yeah, Ares and Strife said I was doing ok, and I 'poofed' a lot today, even back to Olympus by myself, and Strife's helping me get my temples set up..." The glow of happy pride made 'Dite smile.

"So, d'ya loose Bliss on the way back?"

"Oh, no...he wanted to spend the night with Strife and I let him..." Psyche was worried and surprised by the shocked delight coming from her mother-in-law.

"That's great!" She squealed, hugging a surprised Psyche she flashed out. It wasn't until she was gone that Psyche realized she'd forgotten to ask about Cupid.

***

"Agin!" Bliss giggled as Ares spun in circles with him.

"Enough for right, now, time for dinner..." Pouting, Bliss none-the-less snuggled against his grandfather as they went towards the table. It was spread with various foods, along with the usual fare of ambrosia and nectar, and Bliss was settled in a seat with cushions to prop him up. Strife was working on cutting a piece of roast into microscopic pieces. Finishing he mashed it up with some gravy and potatoes and set the plate by Bliss.

"Feeding yourself yet, Bliss? Or ya need help?"

"I tan do its..." Straightening importantly, as this was in fact the first time he'd been allowed to eat by himself he picked up his spoon. By the end of the meal all the War Gods were helpless with laughter. The child had managed to get gravy and food all over himself, some of Ares, and most of Strife.

"Strife, grab Bliss, I'll get the bath filled..." Ares said, flashing out. Phobos and Deimos stopped laughing when Strife chased them around with a giggling and food covered Bliss. By the time they finally got to the bath room they were running from Phobos and Deimos. Ares glared at them from inside where he was soaking in the large bathing pool. Strife started peeling Bliss out of his diaper and let the naked godling run to his grandfather. Stripping out of his own clothes he jumped in followed quickly by the twins. Bliss was soon scrubbed and clean, yawning he settled in Strife's lap and dozed. While the other three soaked Strife slipped out and dried the sleepily protesting Bliss with a large towel. He flashed himself dry and into a pair of loose cotton pants. He carried the towel wrapped child to his room and pinned another diaper on him. He quietly started grooming the boy's wings and exerting the energy to dry them as he did. Bliss settled happily against him and was almost asleep by the time he was done. Smiling softly the Mischief god tucked him in, pulling the soft sheets around the godling.

"Stife?" Bliss murmured sleepily as the god rose to leave.

"Yeah, kid?"

"Yous seep wif me?"

"If ya want..." Settling beside the boy Strife was surprised when the child turned latched onto him, burrowing close.

"Wove you..."

"Love you too, night..."

***

"This is Anios, he'll be your temple guards' captain," Ares said present the young, muscular soldier. "He'll start recruiting others in the surrounding area."

"Thank you, Ares, but I don't even have a temple yet...let alone need a guard," Psyche smiled slightly.

"You'll need it trust me..." He dismissed Anios with a nod. "Any color schemes in mind yet?"

"No pink," Psyche said firmly. Her father-in-law laughed. "I want...I want something that goes between, not too male or too female, I want everyone to feel welcome..." She looked at the rapidly rising temple foundations. Small, but it was still hers. "Maybe...whites and blacks, with some green and red thrown in..."

"Sounds good, and you can always change it if you need later...Now, to start you on official duties. Your father has constructed a small shrine at our...insistence. You should get a few prayers any day now. So we need to work on your prayer taking and how to store power..."

***

"Mommy!" Bliss lunged into his mother's arms grinning. "Stife mades me wunch, I eats it myself...den we take another bath and..." Psyche listened to her son, juggling him to her hip she turned to shoot Strife a tired smile.

"So, he got most o' tha food in 'im this time," Strife shrugged, grinning. "Phobos and Deimos took him this morning while I did work, how's it going?"

"Ares says I'm doing fine but I feel like a slow child..." The brunette sighed and sank into a chair.

"Ma says she'll take the Bliss off yer hands this afternoon, I'll keep up practice with ya..." Strife offered shrugging. "Till then, eat...Unk forgets to but his body's used ta being god, you still need food..." Psyche gratefully took the apple tossed at her and watched Strife make a plate of roast chicken and potatoes appear. She listened as Bliss, with Strife's help, told her about learning to fight with a play sword. Bliss had won, which he was immensely proud of. Discord arrived a little later and took Bliss on extended tour of the armory, promising to let him wear a helmet.

"Strife?" Psyche asked after a few moments of Bliss-free silence were enjoyed.

"Hmmm?"

"Can I ask you something?"

"Yah can ask, not promising anything..." Strife grinned.

"Cupid...Cupid was with you before, wasn't he?" The War God tensed, turning away slightly. His pain was a physical ache to Psyche. "Strife...it's not anything bad, I think he was stupid to leave you if it helps I just...I just needed to know. People keep shutting up when you and I appear, or if we talk outside of the War House. I just don't want to be between us anymore..."

"Yeah...yeah, me and Cupe were together for...for a long time..." Strife said finally, turning to face the newly made Goddess of the Soul and Mind. Her eyes held no malice, only worry, worry for him.

"What happened?" And before he knew it he was speaking, letting the words that he dammed up so long rush out.

"We fought a lot, ya know? 'Cause Cupe's been turned against War by Zeus and...and this is my House, my...family. But that day he came in late, I asked 'bout his day. He...he kinda sighed and said I wouldn't undastand, it was Love stuff. I kinda laughed it off, told him I told him about War stuff. He said it was different, said War gods didn't...He said War gods didn't get Love, cause they couldn't feel it..." Psyche moved to sit on the arm of his chair, resting her hand lightly on his shoulder. Her godhood extended unconsciously and tried to sooth the tears and breaks it found. "I loved him, fer years. And all that time I was just an easy lay..." He didn't think anything about laying his head on Psyche's shoulder as his heart broke and his eyes bled tears, and Psyche said nothing, just held him.

***

"Mom?"

"Cupid..." Aphrodite barely glanced up from her potion mixing.

"Where's Psyche?" He asked voice hesitant.

"She's your wife, shouldn't you know?"

"All her stuff is...gone, Bliss' too..."

"Really?" 'Dite feigned surprise.

"Mom..."

"CUPID, your WIFE has been living with me for over a week, you'll get no sympathy from me because you had yet to notice it..." His mother's voice was firm and unyielding. "Now, some of us actually DO have work to do..."

***

"Cupid..." Psyche greeted coolly when she walked into her room. Bliss was asleep in her arms. Laying their son down in his rapidly shrinking crib she tucked him carefully in. "Can I help you with something?"

"You were gone...when I got in..." He said softly. Psyche began dressing for bed.

"I've been gone for about a week now," She acknowledged slipping into a long cotton tunic she'd thought up. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to sleep. My shrine will need an early visit before I go to my lessons and I've been up since Apollo has. When you're ready to talk about what's bothering you, you'll know where I am."

"Psyche...I..." He paused, eyes confused by the woman before him. "I don't...know you anymore."

"This is me, Cupid, the person that I can be without my father and my sisters dogging my every move..." She sighed and settled on the edge of the bed to brush her hair out. "You should really spend more time with Bliss, he misses you..."

"I've been...busy with work," He faltered.

"Cupid, I am the Goddess of Mind and Soul. If nothing else respect that, you're lying, I can see it in your soul and heart. Please think about that and come back when you don't feel you need to lie..." The Love god found himself ushered out and looking at the other side of a closed door.

***

"Psyche, I want you to help with something..." Ares said suddenly, watching the girl make short work of her lunch. She had just finished lessons with Strife and the young goddess was eating the meal with a will. Aphrodite had Bliss today and the House of War seemed just a little dull without him.

"Sure, what can I do?"

"One of my best warlords has suddenly...lost his mind, I'm not sure what happened, one day he was fine, I checked in with him a week later and he's a wreck...I even had Apollo look at him, but there's nothing physically wrong with him...You can delve deeper with less injury to a mortal mind. I'd like you to try..."

"Of course," The young goddess already seemed to be thinking the problem over, and Strife had to remind her to finish her meal.

Meal finished they flashed out to one of Ares' temples. The warlord in question was large brutish looking man who was at the moment curled up in a cot. Priests bowed as Ares appeared. He waved them off after a brief introduction to Psyche. The man, Darius, began to hum a soft lullaby.

"That all he does, if you put food in front of him he eats, but other then that he just.lays there. I've tried threats, bribes, and the like but he just looks right past me. He's put up a wall around his mind, but I'm afraid to break past it," Ares looked genially concerned for his warrior.

Psyche moved to sit on the edge of the cot and touched the man's forehead. The wall Ares had seen was easy to slip through, it was crude and the chinks left more then enough room for her. Behind it she found the ruins of another such block. Stepping lightly she encountered the memory he had tried to damn inside himself. A young woman sat with her child, the child was six or seven, and almost too big to be in his mother's lap as he was. She sang to him softly, the lullaby he had been humming, and just as he was drifting off a door burst open. A large man, very much like Darius, stepped in, drunk and angry. The woman hushed him, or tried to, but he just kept yelling. The boy huddled against his mother, fear radiating from him.

Then the man struck out. Psyche watched in horror as the woman fell and her head hit the stone fireplace. Her son sobbed, holding the still body as he desperately called for his mother. The boy's father beat him then. Ignoring the boys sobs and cries he beat the boy, telling him all the while what a waste he was. After it was over the boy healed and forgot. Forgot the one thing that had made living worthwhile. Because it was easier then trying to remember in the torturous place he called home.

Then the memory was swept away by a more recent one. One of his soldiers holding a boy, no more then five. The soldier raised his hand and delivered a harsh blow. And Darius killed the soldier. He left the boy with a kind farmer, then went back to his men. He held up through the battle. It was his duty to hold up through battle. Afterwards he went to his tent and lay down. It was how his men found him.

Pulling back Psyche hesitated unsure. How could she make this better? What he needed was his mother...But short of going to Hades, how...? She stopped, replaying the scene in her mind. Her godhood reacted to harsh, soul-deep pain again. Without quite being aware of exactly how she was doing it she gathered the mother's image in her mind, whispering through the man's brain to find other traces of her. Armed with these she carefully made the illusion.

Darius, the man, woke with his head in his mother's lap. She stroked his hair as she sang to him.

"Mama?" He husked.

"Shhh...it's ok, I'm here..." He hugged her fiercely when she spoke, sobbing into her shoulder. "Hush, Darius, tell Mama what's wrong..."

"I didn't stop him, I wasn't strong enough..."

"You were a child..." Gentle fingers stroked his hair again. "You could have done nothing..."

"I forgot you..." He whispered.

"My poor Darius, such a cruel fate...but you know me now, my son, and you have done so much! War lord to Ares, free finally of your father...it is nice to know you remember me my Darius. The dead hear your thoughts of them and I have missed yours..."

"Mama...how...?"

"Hush, Darius, just know that I am here for the moment...to comfort you as I can..." And Darius lay his head in her lap again, drifting into exhausted sleep as she sung to him.

***

Psyche blinked wearily up at Ares but smiled as she stepped away from the cot.

"He'll be fine, his mind was trapped in it's own protection...He needed to resolve a few things..." Ares caught the young woman as she passed. He was too busy to notice one of his soldiers watching the scene. But, by the next week it would be known far and wide that Psyche was a favored daughter of War, and that she could ease the soul. Soldiers began to frequent her temples, and some crude shrines went up near the harshest battles.

***

"Daddy!" Cupid smiled and hugged his son. The boy excitedly began telling him about things and Cupid frowned at how often War Gods were mentioned. He was just about to ask his mother about it when Ares and Strife flashed in, Psyche supported between them.

"I can walk..." She protested and the War Gods exchanged glances.

"Psych, Apollo suggested we carry ya out, you need ta rest..." Strife said, tensing subtly when he noticed Cupid.

"Ares, what happened?" Aphrodite made a lounge appear behind Psyche. Strife lowered her gently onto it as Ares explained the day's events. Bliss snuggled his mother and worried about her a moment before joyfully flinging himself into Strife's arms.

"Stife!" He giggled when the Mischief God tickled his wings lightly, then settled against his shoulder. "Mommy be k?"

"She'll be fine, kid, she's just kinda sleepy now..." Strife murmured. Bliss nodded, complete faith in Strife's judgment.

"Stife! This Daddy! You know Daddy?" The godling motioned proudly to Cupid.

"We met once or twice," Strife grinned, giving Cupid a half smile of amusement. Cupid looked away, an unreadable expression in his eyes. Bliss frowned wrapping his arms around Strife more tightly, his still forming godhood felt unhappiness, a tearing hurting emotion.

"Stife, I wove you..." He said suddenly hugging him tight and kissing his cheek. The pain eased somewhat as Strife's heart filled with love and happiness for the child in his arms.

"Love you too, kid," The warm glow of love coming from the War God made 'Dite smile softly at the two of them.

"Bliss just adores him," She murmured, so that only Cupid and Ares could hear.

"Strife's great with kids...his temples are always packed with them..." The God of War shrugged, smiling. "He keeps 'temple children' feeds them, has them taught, etc., they're really orphans he's found...often from wars."

"But..." The confusion in Cupid's voice was painful. "But he's a War God..."

Ares sighed, pain flickering across his eyes before he buried it deeply again. He stepped suddenly away from the Love Gods.

"Come on, Strife, Psyche needs her rest..."

"Ganpa!" Bliss flung himself into Ares' arms for a hug, trying to erase his pain as well. "Wove you," His blonde head tucked itself beneath Ares' chin and his grandfather smiled.

"Love you, too, Bliss...Keep an eye on Mommy, she's not feeling well..." Psyche was in fact sound asleep now. "I'll see you later..." He settled the boy beside his mother and nodded to Strife. They flashed out.

"Bliss, honey, watch Mommy for us ok? We'll be right back..." Aphrodite grabbed Cupid at the base of his right wing and yanked him towards another room. Bliss took his responsibility very seriously. He pulled one of his own blankets over Mommy and settling beside her. He was asleep moments later, exhausted by the first real use of his godhood.

**********

"Ow...ow...Mom!" His mother hadn't dragged him by his wings since...well...the last time he'd done something she deemed childish.

"Cupid! I have been VERY patient with you!" She snapped releases his wing. "But I am tired of seeing you hurt your brothers, your father, and especially your lovers over this nonsense! Zeus be damned, that 'War God' is your father, not the old goat!" Aphrodite was flushed, fists clinched at her sides.

"Mom! Zeus did what he thought was..."

"That's a load of centaur crap! Zeus has never liked Ares because he was jealous of him. He would do anything in his power to hurt him!"

"Why would the King of the Gods be jealous of the God of War?"

"Ares' FATHER is jealous of him because Hera loves him. Zeus has always hated him because of that, Hera never loved Zeus, how could she? She was forced to marry him out of shame after he raped her! But despite that she loved the children born from that rape..."

"But Zeus says..." Cupid started.

"Fuck Zeus! Not even Hercules believes anything he says! And Herc is one of the kids he actually LIKES!"

"I..."

"The reason Zeus had you taken away, and every child of War after that, was because he saw it would hurt Ares. The other gods are usually against War because they don't always understand it...Damn it Cupid! Do know you're the only one of his sons who still doesn't speak to him? Don't you remember how much Strife cried when they took him away? Do you think an unhappy kid would cry that much, for weeks afterwards?"

"I don't know, ok?" Cupid snapped. "Zeus has always been...great to me, but...but he told me War couldn't love. I thought he was right until...until Strife. Strife...really seemed to love me...but he never actually said it..."

"Of course he didn't, he's a War God." His mother sighed and looked away. "Bliss' little display of affection is the only time I've heard Ares say those words in centuries. Zeus showed the House of War what happens if they love something openly, he destroys it or takes it away. The only reason Ares said it a few minutes ago was because Bliss said it directly..."

"I..."

"And, Fates, Cupid, Psyche and Strife...they both love you, and Strife let you get by with things BECAUSE he loved you. We all love you, but you've been under Z's thumb so long..." She looked away again. "I used to sneak Strife over to see Eris. It was after you were older and your brothers would distract you. We never trusted you. We knew we couldn't..."

Cupid sat. In a chair that formed barely in time.

"You...didn't think I'd help..." He whispered.

"We didn't even consider it," Aphrodite responded softly. "You're still young Cupid, you haven't seen Zeus the way I have. When he's with you he's sympathy and gifts. Not a bad plan really, I mean you've shot a few people for him right?"

"No! I'd never do that!" It hurt more then real arrow through his heart when his mother looked surprised.

"Oh, well he keeps hinting at crap like that Cupe," She shrugged, settling on the arm of his chair. "Sometimes...it hurts...You grew up knowing I hated you being taken from your father, but you still fall back on Zeus..."

"But...he just made it all sound so...logical. Like I should have come to the conclusions myself...I...I don't know what to think anymore, Mom. Psyche...Psyche and Bliss, they really like Dad..." He absently traced a thread in the chair's padded arms. "What if I was wrong? And Psyche...she's so different now...I feel like I don't even know her..."

"Maybe you don't, I mean, there's a whole slew of things you gotta consider after marriage, hun, in our case it doubles...Psyche is turning out to be tons better here then I expected. All of us in Love adore her, and Eris just the other day beat some guy up for trying to knock over her shrine. With War Gods you got to go with actions, ya know? The way Hera raised Ares and Eris was that you showed love, but didn't always say it aloud...Ares gave her a temple guard, Strife is giving her some of his older kids for priests and priestesses, and Phobos and Deimos helped her do godly things around the temple..."

"Strife used to show up when I had a bad day and give me back rubs," Cupid's tone was sad and wistful. "I miss him, Tarterus, I miss Psyche too..."

"Then maybe it's time you told them..."

***

"Hey," Cupid smiled at Psyche as she woke. In the next instant he had a goblet of nectar for her. "Here, it'll help the power drain..." Psyche gratefully drank and sat slowly up.

"Thanks," She whispered, realizing it was the first time in weeks she and Cupid had been this close. Someone had moved her to the bed while she slept. "How long was I asleep...?"

"All night and most of today..." Her husband answered. He settled beside her, not speaking for a moment. "I'm ready to tell you the truth now..."

"I'm glad..." She whispered, fingers linking through his.

"I was...a little afraid of your changes...You went from being this unsure mortal to confident, in-charge goddess ya know? I was afraid you'd figure me out and just leave if I stayed near you..."

"Figure what out, Cupid?"

"That...I was a bad husband, I'm a Love God...When I was little Zeus used to take me with him, we'd do things together...we'd have talks then. Mostly he just told me how much War Gods sucked...but one day we were watching a couple, I was like thirteen, and getting tons of happy vibes from them. They had a kid and looked happy. I told Zeus I wanted a family like that, that I wanted kids and a wife and at the end of the day I'd come home like that guy and play with the kids and kiss my wife. I wasn't totally sure about all the kissing stuff then you know? But it sounded good." Cupid took a deep breath looking at something on 'Dite's pink drapes. "He told me I didn't need such fanciful dreams, that all I had to worry about was looking good, giving a good roll in the hay, and maybe fathering a child or two. He said he envied me and kind of ruffled my hair..."

"Cupid...you didn't believe him..." Psyche was aghast. Not only had the king of gods been cruel to the War Gods, he was unconsciously cruel to the children of Love as well.

"But I did...Zeus always seemed right about things...and he was the King ...In fact, until Mom knocked some sense into me about Zeus...I still half expected you to realize you weren't supposed to be here...and I was pushing you away the whole while..." His wife hugged him almost viciously.

"I love you, Cupid, insecurities and all...I wouldn't be much of a wife if I decided to leave just because you had a few issues..." Cupid's arms tightened around her. Psyche was reluctant to go to the next part of what they needed to discuss, wanting nothing more then sink into her husband's arms and stay there a while. "Cupid...Strife..."

She felt the muscles beneath her tense and she read only pain and shame in his soul.

"Why did you do it?" She whispered.

"He...told you?" Cupid husked, not meeting her eyes.

"I asked...He loved you...a lot."

"Loved?" The despair in his tone cut Psyche with it's force and tears pricked her eyes.

"He thinks you were just using him for sex..." She murmured, stroking his hair softly. "You told him War Gods couldn't love..." She held her tears until Cupid started crying, then she let them fall, holding him close. His pain was just as bad as Strife's.

"You love him?" She whispered.

"Yes, by the Fates, yes..."

"Then you'll talk to him, apologize..."

"But Psyche..." He hesitated. "Do understand that...?"

"Cupid..." She covered his lips with a fingertip. "I know you are a loyal husband, you will not leave me. I will not leave you. It would not be breaking our vows for you to be with Strife. You would still be loyal to me, you'd just also be loyal to Strife..."

"You'd...be ok with that?"

"When I was mortal almost two years ago...no. But love doesn't always seem to go in straight lines Cupid, and you love Strife. I feel it. He loves you..." Cupid's desperately hopeful green eyes caught hers. "How can anything holding this much love be wrong? Talk to him Cupid and I'll still be here...Strife's...he's been here when you haven't while you were straightening things out..."

"I was...a little stupid about the god stuff, I figured if you didn't learn...I'd...not loose you..."

"I know, I love you anyway...Come on..." Pulling away from him she carefully stood.

"Psyche! Apollo'd have a cow if saw you up and around..." The Love God caught her as she stumbled.

"Apollo said not to use my powers, I was mortal for twenty odd years, I'll restrain myself. Help me find our son..."

"He's with Hymen, probably begging for honey cakes, why?"

"You, Strife, Bliss, and I are going to go on a picnic..." Cupid looked at her like she'd lost her mind.

**********

"Thanks again, Hymen," Psyche smiled. Cupid was holding a huge basket filled with sandwiches, a skin of milk, a skin of wine, a blanket, and various fruits.

"It's no problem, I like cooking and making things and...Bliss is no trouble..." The God of Wedding Feasts smiled shyly. He hid his eyes for a moment behind his snow-white hair, bangs kept just long enough to allow it, the rest of his hair fell loose to his shoulders. The very pale hair was unusual even for a god. His red eyes were startling and his skin was so pale it was almost transparent. Apollo said it was a lack of color, it was why the youngest of Ares and 'Dite's children was sickly as a child and thus both parents were overprotective of him. "He's welcome anytime..."

"Careful I'll hold you to that," Hugging her son she grinned. "Want to go see Strife?" The instant delight in Bliss' eyes and his bouncing answered.

"You're going to see...Strife? Together?" Hymen asked, voice surprised. He immediately blushed and stammered an apology.

"It's ok," Cupid smiled a little sadly. "I understand."

"Yes, we are, and if I have my way it won't be an uncommon occurrence from now on..." Psyche said firmly, taking Cupid's arm and leading him towards the House of War.

***

Phobos and Deimos looked torn on what to do when Psyche entered with Bliss in one arm and Cupid on the other. Cupid held a large basket in his other hand that smelled like it had come from Hymen's or Hestia's. Cupid was looking at Psyche as though she had just lost her marbles. However the smile on her face was something the twins were beginning to recognize. It meant she was planning something; it was right up there beside a Strife giggle in the worry zone. When she spotted the twins she handed Bliss to Cupid, leaving the love god looking more amusing then ever as he shifted trying to hold on to his bouncing and slippery son. Phobos snorted, Deimos bit his lip, Cupid glared an Ares-like glare at them both.

"Hi, Strife in?" She asked, raising an eyebrow. The corner of her mouth twitched up though.

"Yeah, sec, we can..." Phobos and Deimos blinked when Psyche stepped between them, taking their arms.

"Show you where he is..." Deimos finished for his twin.

"Right..." Phobos raised an eyebrow at Psyche as they stepped out of Cupid's hearing range. "So, what are you up to?"

"Cupid and I just had a heart to heart, Zeus has messed with his head till he doesn't know which way is up..." She started. The twins nodded, not looking surprised, though they did look angry. "He's really receptive right now. He wants to talk with Strife...and I think maybe if Ares showed up...." Understanding dawned slowly and Deimos nodded, vanishing.

"You know what this'll mean right Psyche?" Phobos asked walking towards Strife's room. "If Strife and Cupid...."

"Yes, I know I'd be sharing Cupid. No, I don't mind. I like Strife, Bliss adores him, and...despite being dense about some things Cupid really does love him. I won't take that away. That's why we're all going on a picnic as soon I find Strife. I want him to know he's part of something, not on the outside of mine and Cupid's marriage. If this works out he'll be just as much Bliss' dad as Cupid is."

"You really thought this out...If you didn't already have a godhood I'd suggest we give you Athena's..." Phobos grinned. He sent a mental message ahead and in Strife's room the God of Mischief kissed his daughter quickly, handing her to Discord.

"I barely have my job figured out," Psyche laughed, shaking her head. She knocked lightly on Strife's door.

"Yeah, come on in..." Strife was settled at his desk, going through battle schemes. "Hey, Psyche, what's shaking?"

****

"Bliss, hun, if you keep doing that I'm gonna drop you or the food..." Cupid warned as Bliss bounced excitedly. The Love God yelped when his son suddenly launched from his arms and flew to an amused Ares.

"Hey," Cupid said hesitantly, smiling softly as his father caught Bliss and hugged him.

"Cupid, you can put that down you know..." Ares motioned to the nearby table and cleared plans away with one hand.

"Thanks...When Hymen packs a picnic..." He shrugged, setting it down.

"So, the three of you are going on a picnic, hmmm?" The question was directed at Bliss who practically vibrated with excitement.

"And Stife! Is that thee?" Bliss blinked recalling the brief number lessons with Strife and Mommy. "Yup thee!"

"Really?" Ares looked up quickly at Cupid.

"Yeah, if he'll come..." The Love God looked away. "Listen, Dad..." Ares' shoulders straightened, Cupid hadn't really talked him for...centuries. Let alone called him 'Dad'. "I've...screwed up. A lot. I...Zeus told me a lot of crap but Mom's right, I should have remembered the other things..."

"Other things?" Ares murmured, stroking Bliss' wings. Bliss settled happily against his grandfather.

"Like when you had to stay in my room all night when I was three, remember? I made you bring the sword and you had to sleep in that huge pink chair Mom put in my room...because I trusted you to protect me from..." Cupid flushed. "The thing in my closet."

"I remember..."

"And I begged you to let me use a sword and then Zeus..." Looking away Cupid leaned against the table and watched his father's enchanted map shift. "Then Zeus came in and took me away...I told him I'd asked to be taught, I was ten...and he told me I was being punished for trying be what I wasn't." Ares tensed turning to look at the back of his son's head, outraged.

"Then he told me, while I stayed with him that week after...it happened, that it was your fault...I really didn't believe him at first, I swear...but he kept saying it. It really made sense then...In fact it made sense for a long time till Strife. I really thought he loved me...but every time Zeus saw me he talked me out of it. Then I'd be with Strife and I'd love him and..." The misery in Cupid's tone was painful. Ares extended his power, lulling Bliss to sleep, and then gently put him on a fluffy, just appeared sofa.

"Cupid, look at me..." Tearful and confused green eyes met his. "That fucking BASTARD!" For the first time since he was ten Cupid was pulled against his father's chest. The blonde gratefully tucked his head under Ares' chin, immediately his feathers were being stroked with gently familiar touches. "Psyche!"

"Ares?" Her voice was hesitant from where she stood at the edge of the room; he wondered absently how long she and Strife had stood there. Strife came forward with her, stance protective at the anger in the War God's tone.

"Don't use any of your big power, but look at Cupid..." His voice softened at the fearful look on Psyche's face and the way Strife's hand kept twitching for his dagger. "Please..." Frowning Psyche stepped forward, gathering her power, and touched her husband's forehead. She gasped and was almost immediately pulled off by Strife.

"Let go!" She sobbed as he restrained her. "I've got to stop it! Oh my gods!" She fell sobbing into Strife. "Zeus...he...he put something on Cupid, a...a compulsion. But Cupid's nature is love, so he couldn't hate War. He was fighting it so hard!"

"Shhh...Psych, you ain't doing nuthin' till Apollo says..." Strife's voice was firm. "We'll take care o' Cupe till then..."

"I don't understand..." Cupid whispered, half of him wanted to rush to his wife, the other half was afraid that if he did he'd loose this vital part of his father again. He tucked himself closer to Ares when he realized Strife had Psyche, Strife would take care of her.

"Before Psyche, who held her godhood?" His father asked gently.

"No one?" he ventured.

"Not exactly, Zeus held it and its powers, willing or not. When gods are born their godhoods choose them, or more precisely, they are born for their godhoods. We already know that Bliss will take on happiness...but when a new god is brought in, like Psyche, Zeus must let whatever godhood that she is best suited for go to her, if he doesn't the Fates will see to it the proper godhood is dispensed..."

"So Zeus tried to compel 'im to hate War..." Strife murmured. "But he's loosing control 'o the compulsion because Cupe's nature's been fightin' it and now Psyche has the godhood that really controls it..."

"So I'm not a really, really bad person?" Cupid husked, finally.

"You were never bad...We all cared about you, Cupid, we just couldn't seem to break past the hold Zeus had on you, now we why..." Ares held his son even more tightly for a moment, then released his son, pushing him towards Strife and Psyche.

"Oh, Cupid..." The Love God held her tightly, then smiled softly at Strife.

"So, are we doing this picnic of yours or what?"

END PART 4