Title: More Than Angels Watching

Author: Kate R.

abelard950@aol.com

Fandom: Hercules

Rating: PG-13

Summary: Joxer has more than an angel watching over him

Pairing: Ares/Joxer

Author's Notes: brief mention of Angel: Alone when Wesley got his throat cut but not until a crossover with the show. Need it for Joxer's sake.

Disclaimer: Own nothing and no one used herein

 

More Than Angels Watching
by Kate R.

Joxer stood in the empty temple that had once belonged to Ares. SO much had changed since The Way had taken over. So much had been destroyed. The Gods were gone and it was obvious now that the people needed them. The world was literally tearing itself apart. Joxer had eaten a golden apple so he could continue to watch and see Xena's folly. He cursed her and Gabrielle every day he walked the earth. This mess was there fault mostly. Their Way had more Wars going for dominance than even Ares would have wanted going on. And still, Joxer lived. Sometimes he almost felt a touch of the gods in the world and he felt reassured by it. Maybe he wasn't completely forsaken?

"Every now and then,
Soft as breath upon my skin,
I feel you come back again…"

Joxer felt as if the Gods were still there, waiting until they were called upon once more. He felt their touch on the world from time to time like a soft breath against his neck. He felt like his Ares was still standing with him, laying a gentle kiss on his neck and soothing him and giving him peace. Seeming to say: "I'm not angry, I don't blame you. It wasn't your fault, my beloved."


"And it's like you haven't been.
Gone a moment from my side.
Like the tears were never cried;
Like the hands of time are holding you and me."

Joxer smiled as he snuggled into his bed in this time and this place. He felt in his dreams, Ares touch. Telling him he had done nothing wrong. Joxer sighed, if only it were true and not a dream. He'd done the unthinkable; he'd made War cry. Shoved him away to follow blindly the fool bard and the Warrior Princess. But in his dreams, he was still with Ares, had not made his fatal mistake and so doomed his beloved. Joxer felt as if the hands of time, as if Cronos himself were sheltering his dreams of Ares. Making time go just a little slower so he could get to the end of his dream.


"And with all my heart I'm sure,
We're closer than we ever were."

Joxer, now self exiled God of Peace, sat among the mortals and felt closer to his beloved, his Ares, God of War, Head of the House of Mortals and Defender of all. He felt close to Ares here, among the mortals. He felt closest to him when he was among the homeless and those who were the lowliest as they were the ones who fought the hardest for their survival. Joxer moved from park to park and trash fire to trash fire, looking for the trace of his love, His Ares, this night.


"I don't have to hear or see,
I've got all the proof I need.
There are more than angels watching over me:
I believe; Oh, I believe."

Joxer smiled as he waked in safety through the dark parts of Los Angeles' parks. He knew he was safe here. Other close calls had led him to believe there were more than angels watching over him. Angel's were mostly passive and didn't like to fight for people. Joxer knew that from personal experience. He walked through the park slowly, letting the night touch him, when he felt a pull to look near a bush. There lying on the ground was a man with his throat cut and Joxer knew this was a test. Had he really given up, or would he help?

"That when you die, your life goes on:
It doesn't end here when you're gone."


Joxer knelt by the man who was wheezing in pain from the slash on his throat and another, deeper, soul pain and he felt an aching sorrow for him. This man who had seemingly lost everything this night. But Joxer knew he could save this man, if he tried. Save him with the light in his own soul.


"That every soul is filled with light,
It never ends and if I'm right,
Our love can even reach across eternity:
I believe; Oh, I believe"

Joxer felt another touch to his soul from Ares. Ares who could heal the mortals who fought in wars if they called on him or if someone else invoked him for them. Joxer knew this was a test of his love. Would he reach across eternity for Ares? Would he pray his love could hear him? Joxer made his decision; he opened his heart and reached. And…he was answered.

"Forever, you're a part of me.
Forever, in the heart of me.
I will hold you even longer if I can."

Joxer looked up seeing an outline of his beloved Ares and he reached out to touch him. Ares smiled and touched his cheek as he bent to heal this man. Wesley, if Joxer read his thoughts right. Ares gently touched his cheek, whisper soft, like a breath, and Joxer knew. Ares loved him still.

"Oh, the people who don't see the most,
See that I believe in ghosts.
If that makes me crazy, then I am,
'Cause I believe.
Oh I believe."

Joxer smiled as he watched Ares work, gently healing this human man who was obviously a warrior and he smiled. Ares still touched the mortal world. It pleased him to know that. Ares had not forsaken his people and even though he knew Gabby would say he believed in a ghost no longer needed and he was crazy, he didn't care. He believed in his God. Maybe he was crazy but his being crazy was saving this man's life.

"There are more than angels watching over me:
I believe; Oh, I believe."

Joxer stayed with the man until his friends came and then he quietly melted into the shadows where he felt Ares waiting. His God and lover and husband above all solidified and hugged him before removing them both from the earthly plain.

"Every now and then,
Soft as breath upon my skin,
I feel you come back again,
And I believe."

Joxer smiled as he lay in Ares arms on Olympus. Home now and safe.

"And I believe."

END