Survival
By Sarah Li MacKiver

 

I finish your last journal and fixate, as always, on you. Although you are unaware of my fascination, you live in my thoughts, in my dreams, but especially in my heart.

Or is it me who lives in yours?

I re-read the collection of your past adventures. Or perhaps I should call them misadventures. I’ve read them again and again. I never tire of them because they are about my favorite subject.

You.

You didn't see it as it was. You should have. Life isn't all about lilies, bunnies and fairies, you know. And it’s not about art, science or mathematics...or even history. What it's about is flesh and blood, co-existing and persisting, life and beating death. Survival of the fittest. Being fit enough to survive.

And I’m not talking about the shape of your body, although yours is simply awesome. I’m talking about your mindset. Your convictions. Your ability to separate your idealisms from what you know truly exists and to act accordingly.

How do you survive, you ask? By subsisting, not relenting. When you find yourself falling, as clichéd as it sounds, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and continue along your way. Plodding through the seconds of your lifetime; the minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years, decades. Centuries. Millenniums. As many as it takes.

The trick is to never say die. And that’s not easy, because, sometimes, it’s easier to just lie down and close your eyes. Sometimes, death is the easy way out. But if you take that easy way, what wonderous things you will miss tomorrow, and the next day.

Me? I don’t want to miss a thing.

You’ve walked the earth for less than five centuries-- less than a tenth of my lifetime, and you’re still driven to hang onto your heathen history. And, yes, as long as we’re on that subject, I realize mine was far worse, but that’s neither here nor there. You haven’t evolved. You haven’t grown. You’re hanging onto a set of negative ethics that died with the mortals who raised you from an infant.

Let it go. It belongs with them—in the past. Dead.

Only fools refuse to upgrade their memories. A closed mind can learn nothing new. Learn from your mistakes, and the mistakes of others. How many other proverbs should I quote? Have I made a point, or am I wasting my eloquence on a dunderhead?

I hope not.

Life wasn’t this complicated in our pasts. In our youth, they didn’t hand out social security cards and drivers’ licenses to every man, woman and idiot who asked, and they didn’t find every headless body lying about. We weren’t hunted then, except by each other. And if there were watchers, we didn’t know about them. We were safer.

At least we thought we were.

Sometimes I wonder how mortals manage such pain and suffering in such a short lifetime. Now I know why some species eat their young. Life itself is horrible.

A man is born, he suffers, he learns many useless, ungodly horrors, grudgingly tolerates other like beings who are worse than himself who strive to intimidate and dominate him. His mind is always shadowed, his heart darkens, his spirit grows heavier. Then he dies and leaves behind family and friends who pretend to weep for him.

Tears be spared. He’s dead, now. He suffers no more.

But what of us? No end, no reprieve.

Here are the tears.


Duncan MacLeod turns at our shared buzz and gives me a quizzical smile. “Methos. It’s good to see you.”

God, he’s wonderful. The face, the body, the posture…for him, I would die this minute. And I think he knows. I think he’s very much aware of my infatuation with him and is having a grand time teasing me along with those dashing smiles and those gorgeous brown eyes.

Somehow, I feel inferior in his presence. Why do I feel that way?

I confess I don’t know. I’m more than five thousand years old and I’m clueless.

I know my smile appears shy. “I’ve been busy lately.”

“Doing what?” he asks, and I notice he’s wearing the tan/brown shirt I gave him for Christmas last year. It suits his coloring.

Reading.” I approach, touch the material of his sleeve. “And pondering.”

His smile turns to amusement and affection. “You lead such a hectic life, Methos.”

I want him. More than anything, more than everything…I want him. Now. I plead with a glance, then drop my eyes to his chest, ignoring his wonder directed at my flushed face.

I am awed by the power he has over me, able to reduce me to a blushing wallflower with a single thought. No other man has ever been so important to me in so many ways. I keep my eyes steadfastly on his second button.

“Tell me what you were reading about.” he suggests after clearing his throat.

I resist the urge to undo his buttons and answer his question. “You.”

“You were reading about me?”

“Yes, your journals.”

He lifts my chin on a crooked finger and bends closer to me. For a brief moment, I expect him to kiss me, but he simply looks into my eyes. “Methos, is there something you would like to tell me? What’s on your mind?”

I force a chuckle and draw back from him. “Yes, I would very much like to tell you that drinking beer is on my mind.”

He sighs and gets me a bottle.


I’m a coward. Maybe that’s why I’ve survived so long, not because of my woebegone philosophy or my years of experience. It’s because I hid what I was, what I felt, and what I wanted.

He gazes at me as I lounge on his couch and I feel the questions coming. I put on my best façade and meet his eyes. “All right, MacLeod. What’s on your mind?”

He’s uncertain, but he wants to talk. He sits by me and puts his arm around my shoulders. “Do you really want to know?”

I give him a hesitant half-shrug and he laughs out loud. “You. You’re on my mind.”

“In what respect?”

His rich voice reaches an incredulous, mocking inflection. “In what respect?” He pulls me closer and suddenly, his lips are pressed against my ear. A whisper tickles me. “Methos, do you realize that I love you and will move heaven and earth to possess you?”

The surprise leaves me numb and speechless. For a moment, I think I’ve suffered a stroke. I feel a strange shaking and tightening in my throat. When I register my condition, I understand.

I am so pathetic.

MacLeod pulls me closer, holds me tightly and whispers more information into my ear. “I’ve got you. It’s all right. Just let me hold you.”

I find myself clinging to him. “Stop me before I lose my mind.” I beg.

He pushes me to elbow’s length and brushes away my silly tears.

Then he kisses me. And kisses me again, and again.

“Is this what you want?” he asks softly. “To belong to me? To let me be yours?”

“Yes, this is what I want.” I say, staring placidly into those deep eyes.

“For how long?”

This time, I kiss him. “For the next five thousand years or so.” I murmur against his lips.

 

~end~