Title: "Goodbye Girl, No More"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG

Category: Chlex, slight Clana, songfic, Chloe's POV, futurefic, Valentine's Fic, AU

Spoilers: Slight spoiler from the movie, The Goodbye Girl and from Dawsons Creek.

Summary: Chloe finds love, with the help of her favorite movie and song.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville and the characters, I'm just borrowing, will give them back, not making any money with there use in this story, so don't sue me. To whomever owns the song lyrics to The Goodbye Girl, the movie title of the Goodbye Girl, the title of it being used in the story title, the situation from the movie the Goodbye girl, Superman, and the mention of the situation and the characters from Dawson's Creek, I'm just borrowing, will give them back, not making any money with their use in the story, so don't sue me.

Archive: To BtS, TBT, SPP, SFF, A_Talon_Affair,As The Talon Turns, Intrepid, Wwomb, Verbal Judo, Malu's site and my page on Wendy's site, for the time being. If anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Feedback: Yes I would love feedback.

Author Notes: My muse sent me this idea just this morning. I've always loved the movie, The Goodbye Girl and I get the chance, through this piece to share my love for one special song from it. If you ever get a chance to see this movie--do. It's got to be one of the most romantic movies around. I want to dedicate this to everybody who has that special someone in their lives and those still searching. And I want to especially dedicate this to Kris---whom I've had the pleasure of collaborating with; a romantic at heart, she is. To Kathryn---the mention of Dawsons Creek is just for you, sweetie. And to one of the best and fastest beta's around---this is a surprise for him, so if there's anything I did wrong in this piece--don't blam him. He didn't get a chance to see it since it is a surprise to him. Oh, that would be David. Enjoy, everybody. Oh, btw---everybody knows Clark's secret.

 

Goodbye Girl, No More"
By PMD

"Hey, roomie---aren't you going out tonight?"

I turn to look at Lana, all decked out in pink.

"No," I state to her.

She walks over to the couch. "Chloe---want me to stay home? We can watch your favorite movie---the Goodbye Girl?"

"No, Lana, I don't want you to be depressed too. Go on---have fun with Clark. You deserve it after a hard day at school."

"But I'll feel so guilty."

I get up and give her a pat on the shoulder. "Lana, don't feel guilty that you've got a boyfriend and the scum of the earth just seems to find me all the time. Now go---have fun with Clark and tell him, if he turns into Superman tonight, I'll send him a green meteor myself."

"You wouldn't," she replies, slightly worried.

"I'm kidding---go!"

"All right," she states, giving me a kiss on the cheek and is out the door in 5 seconds flat. And I thought Clark was fast?


xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Whoever said blondes have more fun should be horse-whipped, I think, as I stare at the printed page before me on the screen. Come on, Chloe---forget that it's Valentines Day and get to work. You've got to be brilliant with this essay for class. 'Relationships and how they affect you?' Where do the profs come up with this stuff?

A ping interrupts my thoughts:

Baldy: Hey, Sullivan---mopping tonight?

Blondie: Hey, Luthor---not out on a date? Has the world ended or did you run out of women to corrupt?

Baldy: Funny---no the world hasn't ended and I just didn't feel like going out tonight. St. Valentines Day gets so depressing sometimes when you can't find the right woman.

Blondie: Oh---so I've finally had some affect on you.

Baldy: Maybe?

Blondie: Wow---you're actually uncertain about something. Oh, in answer to your first question---not mopping---working on an essay, Mr. Inquisitive.

Baldy: Ah---let me guess---relationships and how they affect you?

Blondie: How'd you know that? Got cameras around the apartment, Luthor?

Baldy: ROTFLMAO! No---just the typical question professors ask around Valentines Day. Chloe---really---how are you doing?

Blondie: It's hard---seeing all the happy couples going back and forth. Sometimes I think I'll never find somebody and today it really hit me---maybe I won't. Am I a magnet for undesirables----present company not included?

Baldy: :: Sigh :: No, you're just picky like me.

Blondie: Picky? You? Not possible.

Baldy: I may go out with a lot of women, Chloe, but I'm very picky when it comes to the end of the date. I haven't slept with anybody for a few months.

Blondie: Oh, too much information there, Luthor. Remember---no talking about sex between friends.

Baldy: Ahhhh---the 'just watched Dawsons Creek and want to go the way of Joey and Pacey with the non-talk of sex' rule. Sorry, I forgot. Oh, before I forget---I'm going to be in town in a couple of days. Want to go out and get a bite to eat with your best friend?

Blondie: Always! Well, I hate to do this to you, Lex---but I gotta finish this piece---or at least start it. Talk to you later?

Baldy: Talk to you later. And don't let this day get you down---you never know--love might just be an instant message, e-mail, or day away. Night Chloe.

Blondie: Night Lex.

Back to the grindstone, Chloe. Why do I feel sadder now than I was before? I miss him---the realization hits me. I really do. As much as I love Lana being my roommate and Clark always at the door, being my friend and the love of her life, I miss being around him----Lex---who became my best friend when mine found a love to last him a lifetime. I let out a sigh, turning off the computer, knowing I'm not going to get any work done tonight.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I sit up in bed suddenly. Was that a knock on the door. "Lana?"

I turn to see that her bed is made up. Guess Clark and she finally did it. I'm happy for them.

My thoughts are interrupted again by a knock on the door. "Hello?" I ask, as I walk out of the bedroom.

Nothing---I look through the peephole and---nothing. I cautiously open the door and look outside, stepping on a piece of paper. I pick it up.

'Roof---NOW!'

Clark must have sent this. Why does he want to talk to me now? Well, I guess I better get dressed and find out why.

I run back inside and put on my blue jeans and a rust colored sweatshirt. I grab my coat and keys and leave the apartment. He might not feel the cold but I certainly do.

I make my way to the roof and open the door. I walk out and gasp---Oh My God. "It's like---"

"---the scene from the Goodbye Girl. Hope I did it right."

I turn around and see him. "Lex---what's going on?"

"Listen and learn," he answers, as he walks towards me. "May I have this dance?"

"There's no music," I state, smirking.

He claps his hands and there is. Then he offers them to me and we walk into the middle of the area before us and start to dance:


"All your life you've waited for love to come and stay
And now that I have found you, you must not slip away
I know it's hard believin' the words you've heard before
But darlin' you must trust them just once more...

'Cause baby
Goodbye doesn't mean forever
Let me tell you goodbye doesn't mean
We'll never be together again
If you wake up and I'm not there, I won't be long away
'Cause the things you do my Goodbye Girl
Will bring me back to you.

I know you've been taken, afraid to hurt again
You fight the love you feel for me instead of givin' in
But I can wait forever, a-helpin' you to see
That I was meant for you and you for me

...So remember
Goodbye doesn't mean forever
Let me tell you goodbye doesn't mean
We'll never be together again
Though we may be so far apart you still will have my heart
So forget your past my Goodbye Girl
'Cause now you're home at last."

I'm crying, the sobs causing me to shake. He pulls back, scared.

"You don't feel the same way," he says, sadness enveloping his beautiful face.

"Oh God, I do---Lex, I can't believe that you did this for me. And on Valentines Day---the day I'm usually the most depressed. Thank you and---oh God, how could I have been so blind for so long. You're right---love was only an IM away."

He smiles at my ramblings and then the world becomes electric and harmonious, as he leans down and I lean up, to share our first romantic kiss, that goes on forever and not long enough. He backs away and I go into his arms.

"By the way---it's not Valentines Day!"

"What?" I ask, as I back away from him.

"It's February 15th, Chloe."

I smile at him. "Well, from now on, every day is going to be Valentines Day for us, Lex. Lex---I love you."

He smiles and states no truer words that have ever been spoken between the two of us. "I love you too---my Goodbye Girl, no more."


The End.