Genjo Sanzo

One night as the Sanzo group is sleeping in Hakuryu waiting for him to finish resting so they can move on, Goku looks up and sees a shooting star. Surprisingly enough a red shooting star. On a road a distance away a man in a farming truck looks into his rearview mirror and out the back to see the shooting star coming directly for his truck. Needless to say it was not a shooting star. And the people in the truck... were not farmers nor were they human. The assumption was that they were the newest squad of demons come to try and get the Maten scripture. The shooting star turned out to be two gods, Shien and Zenon, followers of the war god Homura.

The Sanzo party encounter them at a tavern along the road where they've stopped to eat. Of course the tavern is a setup for the demons and a fight is about to ensue when Shien and Zenon arrive. In the end the two gods take care of the demons in the tavern, well Zenon takes out all but one. The Sanzo party heads outside where they are confronted by the third member of the Kami Ikkou. Homura confuses them immediately by addressing them by their god incarnations chiding them for having forgotten themselves so soon.

Homura became the new War God after Nataku placed himself in a state of suspended animation. The son of a Human and a Goddess he was considered heretic, symbolized by his one golden eye... the other being blue. Because of this he was imprisoned until the Jade Emperor decided he needed him. Like Goku when he lived in heaven Homura's wrists are bound by heavy chains which he uses quite well as a weapon both offensive and defensive.

Homura harbors an understandable hate for heaven and those that run it. Not only because of his own imprisonment and their own hypocrisy. He has been tortured, imprisoned and when he fell in love with a young goddess they punished her by making her human and sending her to earth where she lived only shortly before dying. They punished Homura as well but 'needed' him to be the new war god so they could keep their hands free of blood... yeah right.


 

Shien was one of the aids or commanders under Nataku when he was the war god. He is filled with guilt over the incident that made Nataku withdraw from the world. Perhaps like Kenren he wanted to protect the child war god from the evil duties that he was being forced to do, but at the time had no power or was too afraid to raise a hand. Now he follows Homura assisting him with his goal in an attempt to make up in some way for his inability to do anything then. He seems very emotionless and stiff, but may simply be that he holds himself so tightly in check.

Zenon was a god who fell in love with a human woman and had children with her. Outraged the gods punished him by exiling him and sending him back to Earth. He went happily more than ready to spend a happy life with his lover and children. Only when he arrived he found that a demon he had taken as an underling had killed them. Now I am assuming that this demon probably killed the family at the request of the Jade Emperor because I can't see any other reason for his feelings. He followed Homura to Earth in order to find and have his revenge on the demon that killed his wife and childen. He stayed afterward because he believed in what Homura was trying to do. You can't help but like Zenon because it's obvious he cares, he loves and he's been hurt. In a later episode he and the Sanzo Ikkou end up in village where the people have been enslaved by a demon. A tragedy occurs and Zenon's grief is bitter. Of the three, even though Homura is gorgeous and has his own pain, Zenon is my favorite I think.

Back to Saiyuki

Saiyuki and its characters © 2000 Kazuya Minekura / Enix · Saiyuki Project · TV Tokyo.

Page layout © Cat 2004