Jealousy of Youth


StarPlaza

Looking out the front window of the dark blue pickup truck, Bennu marveled at the quiet beauty of the purple-tones sunset. While Earth's sunsets could not rival the fiery ones of his home world, they did, indeed, transcend the boundaries of one's imagination. That is, when you could see them. When they were not shrouded by smog or obscured from view by monstrous landscapes built by man.
Leaning back with a forlorn sigh, he closed his eyes, remembering. The world from which he came, to which he longed to return... was it still as he remembered? Or had it been ravaged by time and the forces of Yago? Realizing that it was futile to dwell on the subject, he pushed the thoughts and memories aside.
Time lost essence in his ponderings as night enveloped the land. Instantly alert, Bennu's eyes canvassed the dark woods along side the road. "Let me off here, please," he requested of the startled driver.
The truck came to a jerking halt. "But this is in the middle of nowhere!" exclaimed the bewildered driver. "I thought you wanted to go at least as far as Mt. Cheviot."
Bennu tore his gaze from the unseen sight. "I did." Thanking the driver he gathered his belongings, then headed toward that which called him.
For several hours he traveled, never wavering in direction. Then, as the moon came into full view from behind ominous clouds, and the wind grew in intensity, he stopped in a small clearing. Gathering pieces of wood he started a small fire, then settled down to wait.
From behind him, off to the right, he heard something. Twigs snapped and leaves crumpled beneath the weight of the unknown intruder. Then...silence.
Bennu looked up from the burning embers. "Why don't you come over by the fire where it's warm?" He sensed hesitation. Rising, he turned and looked out into the darkness. His gentle voice reassuring. "I won't hurt you."
Slowly, from out of the brush, a little boy appeared. Wearing only a lightweight jacket and carrying a knapsack, rosy red cheeks and breath that hung on the night air told of how cold he was. Bennu's heart ached at the sight of the child.
"I should be afraid," the little boy thought, staring up at the tall blond stranger. "Mom's always telling me to beware of strangers. But --he's different. I could never be afraid of him."
Bennu smiled. "You should always listen to your mother, Kristoffer. But you're right, there's no reason to be afraid of me. My name is Bennu and I am here to help you. Now come, warm yourself by the fire."
No further urging was necessary. Laying the knapsack aside, the fire's radiating heat soon warmed him.
Bennu glanced sideways at the exhausted child. "You're a long way from home, aren't you? Do you want to tell me about it?"
Kristoffer looked away from the penetrating gaze. Bennu knew what was troubling the boy, but did not pressure him into talking about it. Kristoffer would confide in him when he was ready. Until then, he would wait.
"Where are you headed?"
The boy shrugged in response.
"Well," Bennu said, feigning cheerfulness, "I always did hate traveling alone. How about keeping me company?"
"Sure why not," came the emotionless reply. "I ain't got nothing better to do."
The smile which had quickly faded from Bennu's finely chiseled features returned. "Great! I think we'd better get some rest, then. Morning can come pretty early."
Taking a slightly worn blanket from his own duffel bag, Bennu covered the already sleepingchild. Then, without a second thought, he took off his coat and placed it beneath Kristoffer's head. The remainder of the night was spent tending the fire and watching over his young charge.

The next morning did, indeed, seem to come early to Kristoffer, who was positive he had just fallen asleep. Looking around, the fire still burned in evidence of Bennu's nightly vigil, but there was no sign of Bennu. A surge of momentary panic struck, then relief as he sensed where to find him.
Traversing through the bushes he came upon a clearing into which the sun shone in all its elegance. There, sitting cross-legged, was Bennu. Kristoffer watched in awe as Bennu sat basking in the sun. Rubbing the night's sleep from his brown eyes, Kristoffer looked closer, uncertainly, at the light which seemed to surround Bennu.
Engulfed by his meditations, Bennu had fail to notice Kristoffer's approach. But now, as the world around him began to refocus, he sensed the boy's presence.
Rebuttoning his shirt, he bid a silent farewell to the little clearing that had afforded him sanctuary for his daily communion.
"Good morning," Bennu cheerfully called to Kristoffer. "Up early, I see. Sleep well?"
Stunned at what he had witnessed, Kristoffer merely nodded, his eyes as big saucers.
Later, when they were eating breakfast from odds and ends that Bennu had in his duffel bag, Kristoffer finally found his voice. With gentle prompting from Bennu, who assured him it was okay, he found the courage to ask about what he had seen.
Bennu smiled at the wide-eyed youth's curiosity. Wondering how to explain, he began hesitantly. Becoming more assured, the words began to flow more freely as he spoke about something that was more than mere subsistence to him. "Each day I like to take a few minutes to sit quietly and think about the good things in my life. About the ways others have enriched my life and what I have brought to theirs. I give thanks for all problems and try to find the solutions."
"Do you always find the answers?"
A sad, faraway look crossed Bennu's handsome features. "Most of the time." He shook away the memories and smiled at the boy questioningly. "Why, do you have a problem?"
Kristoffer shrugged.
"It's all right," Bennu assured him. "You don't have to tell me. But if you want to talk, I'm here. Okay? Now what do you say we get started?"
Before leaving, Bennu made sure that their sanctuary for the night showed no evidence of their having been there. He smiled with satisfaction at his handy work. "Shall we?" He motioned for Kristoffer to lead the way, while mentally guiding him in the proper direction.

Several hours later, as they rested, Bennu sensed that Kristoffer was ready to talk. "Why did you run away from home?" he broached the subject. "Weren't you happy there?"
"Everything was fine," Kristoffer replied, unconsciously kicking a dead root of the tree stump he sat on. "Until they brought my new baby sister home."
"Don't you like her?"
"No!" came the emphatic reply as he began to cry. "Now they don't have time for me. All they care about is her. I don't see why they had to get another kid. Weren't they happy with me?"
Emphatic and moved by the boy's pain, Bennu held the crying child. "Of course they were. What parents wouldn't be happy with a wonderful little boy like you? I'm sure they love you very much.
"THEN WHY...," Kristoffer wailed, "did they have to get her?"
"Probably because you brought so much love and joy into their lives. They wanted to share and increase it with another child."
"Yeah, but now they got her they don't need me anymore."
"Oh yes, they do," Bennu reassured him. "It only seems like they have less time for you. I'm sure, if you really think about it, you'll realize they still give you as much love and attention as before. But because your sister is a baby she needs a lot of attention too. Just like you did when you were a baby."
Kristoffer had stopped crying and was now carefully listing as Bennu continued. "Children, especially babies, are a lot of responsibility. Your parents must have a lot of love to give. They should be commended for wanting to take on such responsibility. Still...," Bennu glanced down at Kristoffer, "I bet they could really use some help. You know, one of the greatest pleasures in my life was looking out for my little sister. I always felt so grown up and proud when she looked up to me." Tears clouded Bennu's eyes with the memory. Angrily he pushed them away. "I'm sure your little sister could use the love and guidance of an older brother too."
"You really think so?"
"Yes, I do."
"But it's too late. I don't even know where my home is!"
Bennu saw a fresh flood of tears threatening to flow. "It's all right, I do. And we'll be there soon." He stood. "Ready to go?"
"You bet! And I'm gonna be the best big brother Emily ever had."
Bennu smiled. "I'll just bet you will."
Twenty minutes later they walked up the graveled lane leading to Kristoffer's house. Having seen their son and the stranger approach, Kristoffer's parents stood waiting outside their lovely colonial style home. Bennu noticed that the man held the infant protectively against himself. Meanwhile, Kristoffer's mother busily wrung her hands in the folds of her apron. Finally she could not stand it any longer and ran to meet her son. Hugging him tightly, tears of relief fell on pale cheeks.
"Where have you been?" she cried. "We've been frantic. Why did you run away? Don't you love us any more?" came the barrage of questions. By this time Kristoffer's father had come up to stand beside his wife
"Of course I do. I just had some thinking to do," he replied in the most grown up voice he could muster. "I'm sorry if I worried you."
"Just as long as you're all right and home again, son," his father assured him. "Did you work out your problems?"
"Yeah, thanks to my friend Bennu."
Handing the baby to his wife, Kristoffer's father extended his hand to Bennu. "Thank you," he said with a firm shake. "For taking care of our son and for bringing him home safely home."
Bennu smiled. "You're welcome."
 

 
 



THE END
 
 

 Return To Other Worlds Index