Saracen Honor
StarPlaza


Darkness shrouded the hooded man as he stealthily traversed Sherwood Forest. Sounds from a near by river confirmed the nearness of the cave. Smoke from lit torches made his eyes water, distorting the cave's interior. From the depths of this hazy darkness Herne appeared, wearing the familiar horns.
"Herne, why have you sent for me? " the slight, muscular man asked.
The strength of his voice belied his apparent age. "Robin, my son, to you I send a gift. Accept it. Do not turn away the gifted one."
A slight frown shadowed Robin's face as he sighed. "What gift? What gifted one? Why must you always speak in riddles?"
Herne bowed his head, clearly a dismissal.

Sounds of the game greeted Robin as he entered the encampment. Much, astride Little John's shoulders, and Will on the Friar's, were trying to unseat each other with homemade lances. Robin joined the laughter as John whinnied, pawing the ground with his foot, and charge at Tuck. Pivoting at the last moment, Tuck stepped the assault. John, unable to stop his momentum, collided with an uprooted tree trunk. Much tumbled from his shoulders. Both fell with a thud amidst a gale of laughter. Soon, they too joined the laughter.
A moment later, the laughter died on Robin's lips and his expression grew serious. This did not go unnoticed by Nasir.
"We must not forget that these are more than just mere games we play. Our survival, our very lives, depend on the techniques we learn from them," Robin said, broodingly.
Nasir fastened dark eyes in the fair-haired man. "They do not forget, my friend." Robin glanced at the former assassin. Nasir, every inch the fighting machine, was right.
"So, what did Herne want?" Will mumbled, his mouth full of venison. Marion made a face at Will's horrendous manners.
"What else?" Robin could hide the irritation in his voice. "More riddles. To you I send a gift," he said, mimicking Herne. "Accept it. Do not turn away the gifted one."
"What could he mean by that?" Marion's forehead creased with wonder.
"I'm sure we'll find out eventually."
"Maybe sooner than you think," said Little John, indicating they should look behind them.
Seven sets of eyes focused on the newcomer. She shifted slightly under their scrutiny. The mahogany-colored hair cascaded down to just above her knees, making her appear shorter than her actual five-and-a-half-foot height. But her most striking feature was her gray eyes. Framed by high cheekbones and an alabaster complex, they seemed cold and aloof. Will reached for his sword, though the girl carried no visible weapons.
"Who are you?" Robin asked, catching Will's arm. "What do you want?"
"I am called Aria. I wish to join you."
"Did Herne send you? Is that why you are here?" He could not place the dialect.
"I do not know this Herne of whom you speak."
"Why do you wish to join us, my child?" inquired the Friar.
"Why should we trust you?" added John. "You really haven't answered Robin's question.
Will Scarlett's dislike of the woman was evident in his demeanor. "Yeah, you could have been sent by the sheriff. It wouldn't be the first time. We," he said, accenting every word by poking her shoulder, "don't like spies."
"Will!" Marion scolded. "Give her a chance to explain."
Aria flashed her a look of appreciation. "For a long time I have heard of how you help the poor and oppressed. Then one night in a dream, a voice instructed me to join you. It said my help was needed."
"And because of that, you expect us to trust you?" Will snorted
"I will do whatever is necessary to prove myself to you."
"Sorry, no deal."
"I say we trust her," Nasir, who had been quietly studying her, said.
Robin considered his words and nodded. "All right, until we have proof otherwise."
"What? Just like that?" Will was aghast. "We don't even know if she can fight. It's bad enough we already have one woman we have to watch out for her."
Hurt by Will's outburst, Marion admonished, "Will ! How can you say that?"
"Sorry, Marion." He looked contrite. "I didn't mean that. But we still don't know about her."
"Send your best against me," Aria challenged, meeting his gaze.
Robin nodded to Nasir, who advanced, unsheathing his sword. Aria brought out a sword from beneath her cloak.
"No !" Will stopped Nasir. "She's mine."
Everyone spread out, giving them room. Swords slashed, Aria matching Scarlett blow for blow. Amazed by her dexterity and strength, he grew angrier by the minute. He should have had no trouble beating her. But she was good -- to damn good. Feinting to the right, he back-slashed to the left. Her sword met his.
"Enough!" ordered Robin.
"But I can beat her!"
"I said, that's enough, Will."
Believing the fight over, Aria lowered her guard. Scarlett let loose with a cry and charged. Seemingly from nowhere, a gray streak leaped on him.
"Kayo, no!" Aria commanded, and the creature stopped and went to sit beside her.
Little John stared in disbelief. "My God, a wolf!"
"He will not harm you." Unconsciously, Aria scratched the animal behind his ears.
"Don't you believe it," Will Scarlett muttered, picking himself up off the ground.
"He was only protecting me." She turned to the animal. "I am grateful, my friend, but you should not be here." Kayo nudged her leg affectionately. "I shall miss you, too. But it is too dangerous here. Now, please go. Be safe."
With one last look, the wolf bounded off into the forest. Once out of sight, he stopped, refusing to go further. Aria would be angry if she knew, but he could not leave. If there was to be danger, they would face it together as they always had.
The outlaws of Sherwood eyed Aria. Much broke the unnerving silence. "Did you see that! She talked to it. She can talk to animals!"
"Is that true?" Robin demanded
Aria had trouble meeting his eyes. "No one can talk to animals."
"But he listened to you."
"As any pet would. I found Kayo as a pup. Poachers had killed his mother and litter mates. I could not leave him there to die. We have been inseparable, ever since."
"So you aren't the gifted one?" Robin's hope was fading.
"No."
"Come then. Share our meal." He turned away in dejection. Was this only coincidence, or another piece in Herne's many puzzles? Only waiting would bring an answer.

In the days that followed, Robin tested the newcomer. One by one, he pitted his men against her. While she had much to learn, Aria did remarkably well.
Marion's green eyes studied Robin as he watched, engross in the lessons Nasir gave Aria. Adept at fighting one sword, Aria had asked him for instruction in using two.
"If I didn't know for sure that you loved me, I might be jealous of the way you watch her," Marion told him mischievously.
Robin gave her a quick smile of reassurance. "I can't help it. She moves as of she were a part of the forest or. . ."
"An animal in it," Marion finished for him.
"Where did she learn such skill? She's already better at fighting than most men I know. I wish we knew more about her."
"I'm sure, in time she'll tell us. Just give her a chance to let to know and trust us."
"Her trust us? That's a joke." Will snorted. "It's us who'd better watch out for her."
"Now, Will," Tuck admonished. "Your animosity's not helping a bit."
"That's right," agreed Little John. "She's done nothing to prove herself untrustworthy."
"Yeah, well then, why don't she tell us about herself?"
"She's entitled to her privacy, Will," the friar told him.
"Do what you want. But I don't like or trust her. I'm going to watch her like a hawk. And is she so much as sneezes wrong, she'll have me to answer to."
Nasir, seeing that Aria paid more attention to the conversation than to her lesson, taught her another one. Within seconds, he had her disarmed, his swords crossed vice-like against her throat.
"To lose one's focus is to lose one's life."
She acknowledge the wisdom of his words.

The sun had yet to rise as Aria crept quietly from camp, her movements heard only by the sharp ears of Nasir. Soundlessly, he followed her. The excursion led him atop a hill where Aria stood staring into the predawn sky. Stopping several yards behind her, he wondered what she was up to. In the stillness of the morning, Aria surprised him by inviting him to join her. A smile tugged at the corners of Nasir's mouth. How had she known he was there?
"Please come," she enticed him again. "Surely, such a promising sunrise has enough splendor for more than to enjoy."
For a long time, neither spoke a word as they sat enraptures by the morning's beauty -s omething Nasir had not taken much time recently to properly enjoy.
"It's beautiful," he said after a long while.
"Yes, it's is. Still, in Gwynedd, my home on Mount Snowdon, the sunrises and sunsets diminish all others."
"You miss your home." It was a statement, not a question.
"At least I belonged there," she retorted, then quickly regretted her sharp tone. "The hermit was wrong. I am not needed here. I am not even wanted here."
"The hermit?" Nasir gave her a questioning look
Aria gazed into the distance. Until now, she had guarded her privacy, divulging only what she thought necessary.
"You and I are much alike," he said, sensing her reluctance.
So, he had felt it too. Dared she trust her feelings for him? He touched her shoulder gently. She turned to look at him and read the unspoken words in his eyes. Trusting her instincts, she told him about her life on Mount Snowdon. About having learned many skills from watching her animal friends, and how from time to time the Hermit would come into her life. It was he who had instructed her in fighting, archery, and the use of the staff. He had long ago explained that in return for his teaching, he would one day ask her to leave her home and do his bidding. The order had come in the form of a dream -- the dream she had told them of.
Exhausted by her many words, Aria gazed questioningly into the man's eye's and saw calm acceptance of all she had told him.

"So, where are they?" Scarlet bellowed.
"I'm sure there's an explanation," Robin began.
"I warned you. A few says, and already she's causing trouble."
"You don't know that!" Marion said with a scowl.
"Maybe they've just gone to fetch some breakfast," Much suggested.
"When pigs fly." Will snorted, unaware that the two had returned."I'll tell you, she's done something to him.
"We did see a flight of swine this morning ," Nasir said dryly, then threw two freshly-skinned rabbits at Will. The look on Nasir's face told him he was not amused. Aria, hurt by Scarlet's words, but determined not to let it show, strode past him, head held high.
"Just for that, Will, can cook breakfast," said Little John.
"Lord above," groaned Tuck, taking the rabbits. "Do you want him poisoning us all?"
The smell of the roasting rabbits wafted down to the stream where Aria sat, skipping stones. Although her stomach grumbled from hunger. It could not entice her to join the others. The Hermit had been wrong, she knew. She would never be one of them, but always remain an outsider.
An awkward silence hung in the air, broken only by the crackling of the fire and the sounds of people eating. Nasir prepared a plate of food for Aria and started to take it to her.
"Let me," Marion said, stopping him. A twinkle of understanding registered in his eyes, and with a rare smile, he nodded.
Marion sat down beside Aria as the girl propelled a stone into the stream. "I thought you might be hungry," she said, handing her the plate.
Touched by Marion's concern, Aria turned to thank her. The words died on her lips as alarm touched her face. She rose quickly, dropping the plate.
Turning also, Marion was horrified to see the camp suddenly surrounded. By their clothes, she knew they were Saracens. As the men leaped to their feet and reached for their weapons, knives flashed though the air, landing scant inches from feet in the dirt, or from heads, embedded in trees. Robin met the eyes of the apparent leader and nodded his understanding. He gestured for his men to stand quietly and wait.
The leader eyes Nasir with contempt. "It is you I would speak with," he began in their native tongue.
"Speak so all can understand," Nasir told him.
"Very well. I, Rashad, am here to inform you that the great Saladin requests your presence. We are to escort you to him."
"What's a Saladin?" Much wondered aloud.
"The Saracen's leader - Richard's greatest rival in the Holy War," explained Robin.
"I no longer obey the Saladin," Nasir stated.
"We are aware of your treachery. Word of your treason, and the deaths of two of our own has reached us. But word of how you slew the traitor, Sarak, has also come to Saladin's attention. For this he would pardon you, wipe the slate clean of all your crimes and restore you to your former position. In return, he only asks that you swear obedience to him and ride beside him in the great Jihad. A generous offer, and a great honor, to be sure."
"And if he refuses to go with you?" Robin demanded.
"He will die, insect, as will the rest of you."
"We won't let you take him," Will snarled, reaching for his sword. A knife flew from a Saracen's hand, slashing his open, reaching palm. Will bent double, gasping from the sudden pain.
"Stop! I will go with you."
"Naz, you can't," Tuck protested in worry. "It could be a trick Who's to say they're not taking you back for execution?"
"I'll give you my word of honor," Rashad replied with mock politeness.
"An assassin's word," spat Robin, wishing he had let his men fight after all.
"Robin, do not interfere." Nasir's glance took in the group and settled on Aria. Her stance was that of an animal, ready to pounce. "None of you." He reached for his swords.
"You have no need of them," Rashad informed him. "Make no attempt to follow." Then they were gone, as silently as they had come. Only now, Nasir was gone as well.
Little John voiced what they all thought. "Robin, we're not going to let them take him, are we?"
"No. No, we're not. We'll give them a head start, then follow."
"A head start?" Much asked in dismay.
"We don't want then to know we're following."
"It won't be easy to follow them, Robin. Them Saracens are a slippery lot."
"I know that, John," he replied testily. "We'll let Aria track them. She's the best tracker we next to Nasir."
"Where is she?" Marion wondered aloud, looking up from tying a bandage around Will's hand. Aria had vanished.

She returned half an hour later, Will's nasty disposition with her.
"And just where have you been?"
"Gathering herbs for your wound," she replied, refusing to acknowledge the hurt his tone caused her.
"Little Miss Helpful, aren't we? Why didn't you try to help Nasir when they took him?"
"None of us tried to help, Will," Robin reminded him. "Except you, and you see what you got for it."
"Well, I don't want her help. I don't even want her here. Either she goes, or I do." He stalked off.
"None of us are going anywhere," Robin called after him, "except to get Nasir back."
"Why does he hate me so much, Marion?" Aria whispered.
"Will doesn't hate you, Aria. He just doesn't trust you yet," she added, trying to soften the words.
"But haven't I proven myself? Held my own against Gisburne and his men?" Understanding overwhelmed her. Nasir had not betrayed her confidings. "Very well, then. I come from Gwynedd, in North Snowdon, to be more precise."
"The haunt of the eagles." Robin nodded. "I've heard of it. But you still haven't told us who you are. A mere name means nothing."
Aria turned away, unable to face them. "I can't tell you who I am, because I do not know."
"What do you mean, child?" asked the friar
Aria hesitated a moment, then poured out her story. "My first memories are for the forest. I told you that I had found Kayo as a pup. In reality, it was Kayo's mother who found me. Were it not for her, I would not have survived. She protected me, hunted for me, treated me as if I were one of her own. When she was slain by poachers, soon after Kayo was born, I swore I would protect and care for him."
"That's quite a tale lass!" John exclaimed.
"Nonetheless, it's true. My memories and my world are of the forest. There is nothing before." She remembered the herbs she held. Placing them in Marion's hand, she told her, "Grind them very finely, make a poultice, and wrap the wound with a warm cloth." Then gathering her few belongings, she quickly disappeared into the forest.
"Where are you going?" Much called after her. He received no reply.
"Don't worry, Much," Marion reassured him. "We'll find her."
Robin, however, had his doubts. He had seen Aria's at work. If she did not want to be found, they wouldn't find her. His concern proved to be unfounded. She had left a trail, one difficult to follow, providing a few delays, but a trackable one.
Two days later, as he sat in the Saracen leader's tent, Nasir felt it was time to make his position known. "I will not go with you, Rashad."
"I thought not." Rashad signaled, and the tent flaps moved aside to reveal his waiting men. "You merely stalled for time to protect your friends. You will die of course." To this, Nasir nodded. "A slow, painful death," Rashad continued. "The Saladin will be disappointed, but I will great pleasure in mounting your head in silver as a trophy for him." Rashad laughed heartily.
"No!" Aria protested, leaping between the guards into the tent. At once, all eyes and weapons focused on her.
"Be sure she's alone," Rashad ordered. He turned to t the woman. "You risk much coming here. What is it you seek -- death, like your friend here?"
"I bring the honorable Rashad a challenge."
"Oh?" His eyebrows rose in question.
"I challenge you for your prisoner. Send your best against me in battle. If I win, your prisoner is mine. If you win, you shall have two heads for the great Saladin."
"No!" Nasir snapped. "I won't allow it."
Rashad was intrigued by Nasir's outcry. Could it be he cared for this infidel woman? "You," he told Nasir, "have no voice in this matter. Why should I agree to this?" he asked Aria.
"It is enough that you have been challenged. Would you not lose the respect of your men by refusing me?"
"But you are a mere woman, a child," he scoffed.
Aria's chin raised in defiance. "A woman-child with sharp teeth and deadly claws," she corrected him. "I repeat my challenge and demand an answer."
"Very well." A crooked smile lit Rashad's swarthy face. "I accept. Our best shall go against you. That, of course, is myself."
"Of course," she acknowledged, then dared to look at the still smoldering Nasir.
Rashad ordered them taken outside. Once there, Nasir was tied to a post.
"A good view to watch her die," his guard smirked.
Being the one challenged, the choice of weapons belonged to Rashad. Aria groaned inwardly as he chose double swords. Already she had lost; she knew she did not have the proficiency in that style of fighting to win. She closed her eyes and mentally apologized to Nasir. "I am sorry, my friend. I have failed you. All is not lost, however. Even now, Robin and the others follow. Perhaps they will succeed where I have I have failed."
"Praying, child?"
"My name is Aria," she responded with more bravado then she felt. "You should know the one who will kill you."
"Then take up your weapons, Aria and prepare to do battle."
She accepted the swords and poised for battle. Using every bit of knowledge she had accumulated over the years, Aria fought bravely. She could read the surprise in Rashad's eyes at her abilities. He doubled his efforts. It would not be long now.
On different sides of the valley, Robin and his men, and Kayo the wolf, emerged from the woods. Standing atop the crest of the valley, all were horrified to see Rashad strike a deadly blow. Kayo needed no further urging. With lightning speed, he raced into the camp.
The blow took Aria to her knees. She looked up into the smirking face of Rashad.
"Prepare to lose your head to the victor." He pulled back the sword for the final blow. Nasir closed his eyes, unwilling to watch the young woman die.
"Enough!" came the command. Engrosses in the battle, no one had heard the newcomers arrive. The Saladin and his guards rode into camp.
"No!" Rashad bellowed, He lifted the sword, repeating the arch to bring it down in the death blow.
"Stop, fool!" the Saladin shouted, but Rashad refused to hear. A second later, at a signal from their ruler, the archers took Rashad down, numerous arrows feathering his body, dead before he hit the ground. All in the camp bowed to the Saladin. Robin and his men used the distraction to draw nearer to the camp.
"Aria," Nasir whispered, held to the post by bonds for stronger than the ropes that held him. He watched in bewilderment as the Saladin rode over to where Aria knelt.
"Would that I had ten of you by my side. I would be victorious in the Jihad." He smiled down on her. "I regret that your bravery has cost you such pain, but it has gained Nasir his freedom. Cut him loose," the Saladin ordered. "May you have a seat of honor beside the Old Man of the Mountain, and share his many splendors." To Nasir, who approached quickly, his eyes on Aria, Saladin said, "I would have been honored to have you by my side. My word, unlike that fool, is my honor. Go in peace."
"Honor is sometimes very costly," Nasir said, unashamed of the tears beginning to flow down his face as he gathered Aria into his arms.
The Saladin nodded. Raising his hand, he rode from the clearing. The other Saracen's quickly followed, after gathering up Rashad's body. They hurriedly picked up some of their possessions, abandoning most of the camp. Robin and his men melted out of the forest and gathered around Nasir in sorrow.
Nasir held Aria close. She still breathed, but faintly. Her face was white, deeply lined in pain. Blood turned her clothes dark in a wide spreading stain.
"I'm sorry, Nasir," Robin comforted him.
"Isn't there anything we can do?" Much pleaded desperately.
"I'm afraid not," Tuck said softly, understanding his grief.
"Maybe we can't, but what about him?" Little John asked, looking beyond their sorrowing group. Herne stood behind them.
"Herne, please, is there anything you can do?" Marion implored.
He knelt beside Aria. At his touch, her eyes opened and some color seemed to return to her face. She smiled at him weakly, ashamedly.
"I have failed you, wise old hermit." Heads rose in surprise at her words. "All your teaching was for naught."
"No, my child, I am very pleased. You have done well." He gently stroked her cheek, and with a contented sigh, Aria eyes closed. "Give her to me," he told Nasir, but the man refused to relinquish his hold. "Very well, bring her inside," he ordered Nasir. Kayo followed Herne into the tent.
Laying her gently on the ground, Nasir asked, "Will she live?"
"Leave us," Herne ordered. "Wolf, you as well." Herne was to be obeyed without question. Both left reluctantly.
An eternity seemed to pass for those outside. Kayo paced restlessly up and down in front of the tent. Nasir stared blankly into nothingness. Finally, Herne emerged from the tent. All looked expectantly at him, the question, "will she live"? written on all their faces.
"Robin, I told you to turn not away the gifted one. Never before have you so sadly disobeyed me."
"He didn't," Will spoke up, ashamed. "It was me. Is she -- "
"No, Will, I am not." Everyone turns at the sound of Aria's voice.
"ARIA!" A smile vanquished the solemn expression on Nasir's face. She returned his smile, then weakly stepped up to stand with others.
"Aria," Will began, somewhat unsure -- especially when Kayo growled deep within his throat. "I'm not very good at saying I'm -- "
"Then do not," she said, stopping him. "Words are not necessary."
Will gaped a moment, then a grin spread across his face. He extended his bandaged hand towards her.
"It is better?" she asked
"Good enough to shake the hand of a friend."
"Yes, a very good friend."
 

 
 

The End
 
 

 Return To Other Worlds Index