Title: Midnight Vignette 4 - "Restless" Author: Surreal E-mail: surreal666@hotmail.com Website: http://netjeru.ma-at.net/SurrealArts/ Feedback: Yes, please! Status: complete, series Category: Slash, Langly/Byers, PWP Rating: R Summary: Langly can't sleep and it's Byers turn to help. Archive: Lone Slasher, Basement Disclaimer: Not mine. Unjust captives of ugly rich men who don't know how to treat them right. Notes: Fourth of a four-part vignette series of midnight conversations. ~~<>~~ It's almost four in the morning and I haven't gone to sleep yet. As much as I hate nights like these, it does give me a rare and very pleasant opportunity. I roll onto my side so I can watch John. Tonight he ended up on the side of the bed closer to the window and the faint moonlight barely makes it past the small slit between the two curtains. The little line of yellowish white streaks over the rumpled sheets covering his legs, up over his perfect, round ass and across his pale, lean back. The very end of the line ends in the middle of his hair, the red highlights shining out from the darker strands and completely in contrast to his soft, white skin. His right arm is tucked under the pillow supporting his head, which is turned away from me. His left arm curls next to his face, where his hand makes a loose fist just above his head. His breaths are slow, even, and soft, the line of moonlight across his back shifting gently with each breath, in and out. On impulse I reach out and lightly trace the line with one finger, from his hair down to where the sheet is bunched up at the small of his back. I want to follow it further, but not on the sheet. I want to touch his skin. I push the covering off his body, all the way down to his feet. In his sleep he shivers slightly and mumbles. Moving my body closer to keep him warm, my hand continues its route, following the line over the soft curve of his ass and down to his thigh. To reach the rest of him I have to slide down and stretch out my arm until it gets to the end, right at the peak of his right heel. The muscles all down his long, slim legs twitch just under the skin, and the tiny dark hairs tickle my palm as my hand moves down. When I get near the bottom of his right leg it tapers off gently down to his thin, bony ankle twisted to the left so his foot lays flat. His foot twitches when I get there and I remember that he's ticklish. I glance up to see him turn his head my way and glance down over his shoulder at me. "Whattre you doing?" he mumbles sleepily through a wide yawn. "Sorry...wasn't trying to wake you up. Just...thinking, I guess. Got out of hand," I give him an embarrassed smile and slide back up to lay even with him. "Kinda hard to sleep with you stripping off my covers and feeling me up," he chuckles softly, scooting onto his side and reaching out to stroke my arm. His hair is mussed and his eyes are half-shut, the lines from the pillow pressed into his sleepy face. I reach up to ruffle his hair even more and he squirms away. "Don't DO that!" he wrinkles his nose at me and tries to pat down his hair. Why, I don't know, since it's four in the morning. That's just John. "You are so cute when you're flustered." "WHY are you even awake? And groping me?" He pauses then adds, "Okay, don't answer the last part." "Can't sleep," I sigh, letting my hand stroke down his warm chest. He catches my hand and squeezes it gently, his thumb caressing the inside of my wrist. "At all?" I shake my head and disentangle my hand, resting it on his hip. His hand runs lightly down my chest and stops just above my groin. "Do you want me to..." he starts, and I feel the back of his hand gently slide down the length of my cock. The sensation sends a warm tingle through my body, but this isn't what I want. "No," I take his hand to stop him. "It's okay, I'm not...really in the mood for that..." I reach up to stroke his hair and kiss his lips lightly. "Oh." He clears his throat and rubs my arm. He's quiet for a while, then moves away as if to get out of bed. "Where you going?" I whine, reaching for him. "I have an idea, something to help you go to sleep," he pats my hand and reaches for a pair of boxers on the floor, which happen to be mine. "It's in my room." Wondering what my lover is up to, I lay back and wait for him to come back to me. He returns to my room with a heavy-looking book in his hands, dropping it on the bed so he can strip the boxers off again. I start to reach for it but he smacks my hand. "Ah ah! This is my area, hands off." Chastised, I flop onto my back as he slides into bed next to me, pulling the covers back up over us. Stretching out on his back and propped up against the headboard on his pillow, he pulls me up to sprawl halfway on his chest, his right arm wrapped around me snugly. He opens the book, scans the index quickly and flips to the page he desires. Without my glasses I can't see for shit so I'm completely at his whim. "Comfortable?" he asks me while rubbing my arm. "Mmmhmmm," I answer, laying my head on his shoulder and closing my eyes. His voice changes into a soft, breathy tone as he starts to read. I can tell right away it's a poem, which normally would annoy the hell out of me but not the way he is reciting it. It's...absolutely beautiful. "Lay your sleeping head, my love...Human on my faithless arm..." he starts quietly. The rise and fall of his chest with each breath is rhythmic and I soon find myself drifting with it, with his body and his voice in syncopation. His right hand moves on its own accord, softly caresses up and down my arm, up my ribcage and over my shoulder and back again. Over and over, never the same route twice and always in motion. "Soul and body have no bounds...To lovers as they lie upon..." Smooth...perfect soft wonderful words floating over me and my mind begins to slowly wind down into the pattern, concentrating on only his voice and his body against me. "Certainty, fidelity...On the stroke of midnight pass..." Drifting...matching my breathing with his, slow, even intake of air. No longer interested in opening my eyes. Simply resting, my body begins to fall into sleep one piece at a time with every one of his words. Finally...not sure if I'm dreaming them anymore, but the words are there, the last of the poem floats past my mind and crosses the border between consciousness and dream... "Nights of insult let you pass...Watched by every human love." ~~<>~~ End. Lullaby by W.H.Auden Lay Your Sleeping head, my love, Human on my faithless arm: Time and fevers burn away Individual beauty from Thoughtful children, and the grave Proves the child ephemeral: But in my arms till break of day Let the living creature lie, Mortal, guilty, but to me The entirely beautiful. Soul and body have no bounds: To lovers as they lie upon Her tolerant enchanted slope In their ordinary swoon, Grave the vision Venus sends Of supernatural sympathy, Universal love and hope; While an abstract insight wakes Among the glaciers and the rocks The hermit's carnal ecstasy, Certainty, fidelity On the stroke of midnight pass Like vibrations of a bell And fashionable madmen raise Their pedantic boring cry: Every farthing of the cost. All the dreaded cards foretell. Shall be paid, but from this night Not a whisper, not a thought. Not a kiss nor look be lost. Beauty, midnight, vision dies: Let the winds of dawn that blow Softly round your dreaming head Such a day of welcome show Eye and knocking heart may bless, Find our mortal world enough; Noons of dryness find you fed By the involuntary powers, Nights of insult let you pass Watched by every human love. ~~<>~~