..oOOo.. 10:49 am Monday Byers leafed through the five-month old issue of "Hunting and Fishing" with no interest what-so-ever. He glanced to his left, the constant fidgeting of the other man quickly moving from mildly distracting to outright annoying. The only two people in the psychologist's waiting room, the silence between them was all the more palpable. Still ten minutes until their appointment, the younger man was becoming more agitated by the minute. Finally giving in to the impulse, Byers reached over and laid his hand on Langly's knee, stilling the jumping limb. "Relax, Ree. He's not going to force you to say or do anything you don't want to, okay?" Langly glared at him for a moment, then brushed the hand off his leg and got unsteadily to his feet to start pacing. After only a few laps his energy gave out, and he plopped back down in an empty chair a few down from the other man. Byers tried to hide his hurt look behind the magazine and went back to not reading. A few minutes before eleven, Dr. Gary Evens emerged from his office with a friendly smile. His smile faltered, however, as he saw his two patients sitting apart in the waiting room, not saying a word, not even looking at each other. "Mr. Byers, Mr. Langly? Come on into my office," he waved them over casually. Exchanging a guarded glance, the two men stood and followed. Closing the door, Dr. Evans gestured them toward the two chairs in front of the desk as he went around the other side and took his own seat. "How are the both of you?" he began, flipping the notebook in front of him to a fresh page and tapping his pen lightly against it. "Fine," the couple replied automatically, in stereo. The doctor stifled a smile; he recognized one of the signs of an inseparable pair, and truly hoped he had the skills to help them past their tragedy and back to their normal lives, and soon. "May I call you by your first names?" he asked, watching as they both nodded. "Good, I'm glad. I hope it will make you feel more comfortable. Now, I'd just like to use this session to give you both the opportunity to talk about anything you like, then we'll use later sessions to focus on specifics. For today, we'll be spending the first half hour with you both together, then I'll have Richard wait outside while I speak with you, John, for around fifteen minutes. After that, I'll speak with you privately until the end of the time, Richard." "Um, could you not call me Richard? It's...I prefer Ringo," Langly told him as he squirmed uncomfortably in his chair. "Of course. Ringo. Good," Evans replied with an encouraging smile, glad to have the withdrawn young man speaking up. "I understand you've been home several days now. How is everything going? Physically, I mean. Are you having any problems that might make you feel discomforted?" Langly shook his head minutely. "No, I'm fine," he mumbled, knowing full-well that the other two knew he was lying. The next half hour passed with the same avoidance and uneasy back-and-forth. Evans looked down at the few notes he had, frustrated by the lack of progress. Langly just did not want to talk, and Byers did not seem to want to talk in front of Langly. It was time to split them up. "Ringo, I'd like to speak with John alone now. If you could wait outside, I'll come get you when it's your turn," Evans told the younger man as he drew a line beneath the few scribbled lines of text. He watched as Langly stood and left without a word, then turned his eyes to where Byers was also watching the other man leave. Alone now with Byers, Evans looked at him expectedly. "John? Tell me a little about what is going on with you, anything you'd like to talk about." "It's like he isn't even interested in getting us back to normal," Byers blurted out without thinking, then blushed and looked away. Evans stood and moved to the chair vacated by Langly. "John, don't feel embarrassed by anything you need to say, all right? That's why you are here, to have someone to talk to when no one else will listen. You know that, don't you?" he said gently. Byers looked up at him, and slowly nodded. "He won't talk to me...won't..." he cleared his throat, his cheeks growing pink again. "We don't sleep together anymore, not since he got home. We don't touch, we barely say a word to each other." "And you've tried to get him to talk? To draw him out?" "Well, I mean...I've tried, but I don't want to push him, in case he isn't ready, you know? I mean, I can't imagine what it was like, what he went through. I just don't want to push too hard too soon; don't want to risk losing him." "Maybe you haven't pushed enough yet. He could just be waiting for you to make the first solid move, to give him an opening to let go of everything he is keeping inside," Evans reasoned. Byers considered this, then nodded slightly. "Yeah, maybe." The doctor sat back, relieved to have made even a small step. "Good, that's good. Try talking to him. If you have any questions, or need help, feel free to call me." With a relieved smile, Byers reached to shake his hand, then stood. "Would you like me to send Ringo in?" "Yes, please. If you'll just wait outside for him," Evans told him, remaining in the chair in front of the desk. Langly glanced up when he saw Byers come out of the office, and took a deep breath. Standing, he walked back toward the still open door. As he passed Byers, the older man caught his arm and gave it a gentle squeeze. "It's okay," Byers whispered to him with a confidant smile. The younger man couldn't help but give him a smile in return, and he continued into the office, shutting the door behind him. ..oOOo..