TITLE: Waltz for Four in Three Quarter Time - Part III - NEW! Updated 1/2/2000

Con't from Part II

"What?" Scully whispered, her voice incredulous.

Kim just stared at him in stunned silence.

Mulder was silent for a moment as well and Skinner cleared his throat and repeated his words.

"I think John wants Mulder to father our baby," he stated, running a hand over his scalp.

"I heard what you said...I just...I can't...this is..." Scully stammered. She was flushing slightly as she struggled for composure.

"Walter, I don't...this is too... too much," Kim interjected quietly, shaking her head and looking down at her hands. "It sounds...well...do you know how it sounds?" she added.

Skinner looked at Scully and Kim and saw the hurt and confusion in their eyes. He looked at Mulder and the agent spoke.

"Uh...it's...well...it's not what I'd call an easy thing to swallow..." Mulder began to address them collectively.

In a matter of seconds, with Mulder's seemingly doubting words, everything that had happened over the last few hours came crashing down on Skinner. His vision blurred and then he saw red. He felt anger and self disgust both rising in his chest. It felt like all the blood in his body was rushing into his head and threatening to blow the top clear off it. His jaw clenched spasmodically and he felt his guts roil as well. He went from being relatively calm and trying to explain to being furious and wanting to cut and run before he said something or did something damaging. He needed to leave as soon as he could stand up and get out the door.

He felt like he'd made an utter fool out of himself. How could he have even entertained the thought that they'd believe him? Even Mulder, the man who usually believed in the most bizarre phenomenon was disbelieving under the circumstances. How could he hope that the agent would understand that he wanted him donate sperm so Kim could conceive? How could he have been so thoughtless and insensitive to Dana Scully to suggest her lover father another woman's child when she couldn't give him a child herself? And how could he have been so blind to think that Kim would accept the idea given that the suggestion had come from what - a ghost? And from where - beyond the grave? He must be an imbecile to not think she'd consider him crazy.

All that flew through his mind in a matter of minutes and when he couldn't face thinking about any of it for another moment he spoke.

"You're right. It's too much to believe. I...I...just forget it. Fuck it. Fuck all of it," he mumbled, and then he got up in a lurch. "I...I need some air," he stated, pushing past Kimberly's legs.

"Walter...Walter!" she called in alarm after his receding back.

"Walter!" Scully called as well as Skinner stalked to Mulder's front door, opened it and walked out. The door slammed behind him.

"Oh, God," Kimberly whispered, putting her head in her hands.

"Damn it," Scully swore under her breath.

Scully got up and so did Mulder. Scully went to Kim's side and sat down next to her on the couch.

"Stay here," Mulder hastily told Scully as he headed after Skinner. Scully nodded as he passed her. He strode to his apartment door and opened it quickly. The agent rushed out, and shut the door behind him.

xXx

Mulder's bare feet slapped in the hallway as he glanced left and right. The elevator doors were closing. Shit, he thought. Skinner must have gone downstairs. Wonderful. Neither one of them had shoes on and they were dressed only in T-shirts and sweatpants. He hoped it had warmed up out. It hadn't been that warm a March day yesterday he thought, shaking his head in exasperation. Trust Skinner to uncharacteristically hare off without any heed to creature comforts. Mulder jogged off down the hall at a good clip towards the stairwell.

The agent caught up with Skinner as he was opening the inner doors to the vestibule entrance of the building. Skinner stepped through and Mulder called out to him as the door began to shut behind the retreating AD.

"Sir!" he shouted. "Walter!" he yelled as he ran to catch the door. Skinner stopped and hesitated next to the building's mailboxes.

"Sir?" Mulder asked more carefully as he opened the door, entered the vestibule and shut the door behind him. Skinner turned to confront him. They stood face to face and Skinner glared balefully at Mulder.

"How could you say that?" he hissed. "I thought...you of all people would at least try to understand, even under the circumstances," he added, fixing Mulder with a stony stare.

"Walter, I..." Mulder began.

"You could have at least cut me some slack up there, Mulder," Skinner interrupted petulantly. "This isn't easy and..."

Mulder gritted his teeth. Skinner was really acting like a jackass he thought. Understandable under the stress of the situation but it wasn't making it easy for him to be supportive. Mulder marshaled his temper and tried again.

"Walter...if you'll let me get a word in here I can explain," Mulder blurted out, causing the AD to stop talking abruptly and fix him with a raised eyebrow. Mulder took a deep breath and continued.

"If you had waited long enough for me to finish the damn sentence up there, maybe you would have realized I agreed with you," Mulder stated as calmly as he could.

"Agreed with me?" Skinner replied, the doubt still heavy in his voice.

"Yeah - agree with you, sir," Mulder replied, touching Skinner on the shoulder briefly to reassure him. Skinner studied Mulder's face carefully and then his shoulders sagged and he leaned back against the wall, folding his arms over his chest. Mulder stepped back to give him his space and Skinner sighed.

"Fuck. Well I made a damn fool out of myself again then," Skinner rumbled, looking down at the ground for a second. He scuffed a bare toe on the indoor/outdoor carpeting that served as a foot mat for the lobby and then shook his head in self-deprecation. When he looked up his eyes were filled with pain. "I'm sorry. I...I just...well this strains my credibility too and..."

"And you figured none of us could possibly believe you, right?"

"Yeah, exactly," Skinner breathed out, running his hand up under his glasses to pinch the bridge of his nose. He lowered his hand and re-crossed his arms.

"Welcome to the club, sir," Mulder replied, giving him a tight grin.

Skinner looked at him for a second, his eyebrows raised again and then he chuckled softly.

"No shit. I guess that's something you've been living with for a long time," Skinner replied, looking at Mulder with sympathetic understanding.

Mulder shrugged. Just as Mulder was about to answer an elderly woman approached the vestibule door and opened it. Mulder and Skinner both stopped speaking immediately. Skinner shifted uncomfortably. Mulder smiled at the women.

"Good morning, Mrs. Warner," he greeted the tiny, white-haired woman.

"Morning? It's afternoon for Christ sake," she replied, bulling past them, her cane taping lightly on the floor.

"Have a nice day," Mulder called after her as she hurried through the outer door.

Mulder turned back towards Skinner. Skinner was following the woman's exit, his mouth open slightly in surprise. Then he looked back at Mulder.

"I see they think fondly of you here, Agent Mulder," he ventured, his lips twitching in a small grin.

"Oh yeah. I'm the ideal neighbor," Mulder replied, arching his eyebrows. Both mean relaxed further, the exchange taking some of the tension out of the air. Mulder went back to explaining.

"Well...my point is, I do believe you, Walter. As weird as you may think it sounds I think John Rand is trying to fulfill the debt and his idea for fulfilling it involves me fathering your child. Uh...remember, I've had John rattling around in my head a few times. I've kind of gotten a feel for what he thinks about you...what he feels about you and his thought processes in general," Mulder replied, gesturing animatedly.

"So you...you believe all that too? About the warnings and Cracker riding shotgun in your head that night...the works?" Skinner asked hopefully. He was surprised he wasn't more embarrassed about Mulder saying he knew what Cracker felt for him...about knowing what he and Cracker had together. He guessed he wasn't as chagrined about it because this was a very important undertaking they might just be embarking on. There was no sense in being embarrassed or squeamish about Mulder getting a glimpse of his affair with Cracker. There would certainly be more things coming up which might be potentially more embarrassing.

"Yeah. If it wasn't true then it was one hell of a shared long distance hallucinatory dream. I find it more easy to believe some guy was leading me around by the nose to think about the hoops our brains would have to jump through to dredge up a conjoined nightmare, Walter," Mulder replied, chuckling a little.

Skinner looked down and shook his head again. He smiled a little in relief. After a moment he looked back over at the agent.

"Mulder...thanks. I mean it," he mumbled.

"No problem," Mulder replied, nodding briskly.

"So, what now? I screwed the pooch up there. You have any better ideas on how to approach this with Scully and Kim?" Skinner asked.

He really did need Mulder's advice at this point. He realized that asking for it didn't give him as much of a problem as he thought it would. That idea made him feel glad because it meant that he was considering Mulder even more of a friend rather than a subordinate now. He didn't mind seeking his counsel and he also respected Mulder for having the grace to give it without drawing attention to the fact he was asking for it.

"I think we've got to go back up there and explain this somehow to Kim and Scully. We can give a shot at making them understand so that they'll accept the situation and we can..."

"You mean you'd go through with it? Father our baby?" Skinner asked, amazement making his voice harsher than he meant it to be. "Sorry...I mean it's just that...well under the circumstances...the idea that you'd be..." he let his voice trail off. Ok...here was one of the potentially more disconcerting things. Suddenly the whole idea of discussing Mulder having a child with Kim and the obvious ramifications as to how that might be accomplished embarrassed him. He felt his face flushing slightly.

"Yes, I'd go through with it. And Walter...it's not like I'm going to sleep with your wife. I assume you're considering artificial insemination?" Mulder replied, arching an eyebrow.

"Well, that comes to mind, of course," Skinner hastened to agree, wrinkling his brow a bit. "It's just that...I haven't thought that angle through completely yet. I...I guess we'll have to all sit down and figure out just how this is going to be accomplished - that is if we can get Kim and Scully to even agree to the concept. If Kim or Scully disagrees the idea is history. I won't even push for it. And I mean that Mulder - if either one of them balks - we'll think of another solution. John Rand's wishes be damned. I don't want to hurt Dana Scully under any circumstances and I'd rather die than hurt Kim," Walter replied seriously.

Mulder nodded.

"I appreciate that, Walter. I feel the same way. But...I have hope they'll agree if we all talk it over. I...I know this won't be easy for Scully. But I know she's a compassionate person. She'll want to help...I can only hope this will be the way she agrees to help."

"I...at this point I'm not sure what Kim's going to say," Walter conceded dismally. "She...she probably thinks I've really lost it now."

"Oh bullshit, Walter. Come on. I can tell how much she loves you. She'd never think that kind of thing. She was just shocked. Scully was too. Their reactions were natural. If we sit down and discuss this rationally..." Mulder replied.

Skinner gave him a skeptical look, interrupting his reply.

"Ok, You know what I mean. As rationally as the bizarre can be discussed, then. If we talk it out I think it'll be fine."

Skinner nodded.

"All right. Uh...I guess I can try to be positive. The fact that you're even entertaining going through with the plan does bolster my hopes a bit," Skinner admitted honestly.

"Exactly. And really, Walter...uh...I'll be happy to make a donation to the cause so to speak," Mulder replied, giving Skinner a lop-sided grin.

Walter nodded, still half in shock that Mulder would be agreeing to the idea. He ran his hand over his mouth. When he lowered it he cleared his throat.

"I suppose we could prevail upon Jackson to handle the medical end of things. Or at least suggest someone trustworthy to do it," Walter mused for a moment, looking off through the vestibule doors.

"Where there's a will there's usually a way," Mulder agreed.

Skinner refocused on Mulder and nodded, coming to a decision. He gave him a brief smile and then spoke again, gesturing towards the hallway behind them.

"Yes. Ok. Let's get back upstairs and give explaining things a second try," Skinner replied. Mulder smiled. Both men turned and exited the vestibule, heading back towards the elevator.

xXx

"Dana...I'm so sorry," Kim whispered as Scully knelt by her side. "That must have been a horrible thing for you to hear, under the circumstances. And it sounded so...so crazy...all of it. I mean I know the nature or your work...and Walter's connection with it, but...God..." she let her voice trail off with a helpless gesture of her hand.

Scully put her arm around her friend's shoulders and hugged her tight. Her mind was clicking through the last few minutes and trying to process things in a logical manner. She wasn't having much success.

She could tell from Mulder's body language and tone that rather than preparing to disagree with Walter he was in reality going to agree. Scully wasn't at all sure how she took that idea. One the one hand she had first hand knowledge of more than one occasion when something...well paranormal in the strict definition of the word had occurred where Mulder and John Rand were concerned. Twice under Mulder's definition of events...John Rand had walked into his mind and taken over. Scully had tried over the months to think of logical, scientific explanations for those incidents and come up with less than satisfying arguments. The arguments basically centered around something being organic or psychologically wrong with Mulder. But none of his other actions would back up that contention. So, she'd been faced with no explanation...or Mulder and Walter's explanation and she just didn't know if she could accept the later.

However...in a way John Rand and his wishes, any kind of ghosts, walk-ins or other associated phenomenon were all rather a side issue in what Scully really saw as the crux of the matter here. The center issue and that issue was Walter and Kim's desire to have a child, their inability to do so and the alternatives to conceiving a child fathered by Walter.

Therefore, Scully tried to look at that issue dispassionately. It wasn't easy but she was trying. When it came right down to it, she wanted to help Kim and Walter to find a solution to the problem of not being able to conceive in any way she could. She was a doctor. That's what doctors did - they helped to heal. She didn't see this as any different. Of course one of the ways they could conceive was by artificial insemination. It was a logical choice. But Mulder as the sperm donor?

Well...as much as she hated to admit it...that was the rub. Mulder. God...she and Mulder hadn't really discussed children in detail for obvious reasons. It was a painful subject. Deep down in her heart, Scully wasn't sure that children were something Mulder would want. To be perfectly honest, she wasn't sure she wanted them either under the circumstances of their lives. But...deep down there was always that nagging idea that someday she'd have a child...ok...a child again if she were to allow herself to be technical about it. Children even. When she had realized she was in love with Mulder the idea of making a child with him had naturally crossed her mind. So, even though pragmatically she had reasons for understanding why children might not be in the picture...down deep in the core of Scully's soul...the idea that Mulder would father a child with another woman and not her hurt a great deal.

So as she comforted her friend she tried to overcome her heartache and look at the altruistic angle. She didn't want to appear selfish and uncaring when she really did care for Kim so very much now. And Walter...Walter had been through so much. She tried to tell herself that the main idea here was Walter and Kim's happiness and if Kim was even entertaining the idea that there was a possibility Mulder could donate sperm in this instance...Scully needed to be supportive and see if things could be worked out to everyone's advantage.

"Kim...listen honey," she began, rubbing Kim's shoulder and then letting her go and straightening up. "It was a shock to hear. But...I've heard and seen things over the years which were a lot more...outrageous than what Walter is suggesting...believe me. And really...Mulder wasn't going to object to what Walter said. I know him. He was going to agree."

"Agree? How could he agree to...well...I mean...oh I don't know what the hell I mean," Kim finished just staring at Scully.

Scully captured her eyes and spoke quietly, almost reasoning it out as she did.

"Kim...I'm going to be honest here. I'm...I'm not sure what I think about the John Rand situation. But as I see it...that's not the real point here. The real point is...how much you and Walter really want a child...and whether you want that child to be fathered by Walter...or if having someone else be the father is acceptable to you both," Scully replied, watching Kim's face. She could see the dawning realization in Kim's face almost immediately. Kim was a perceptive woman. Scully didn't doubt she would pick up on the main point of the problem.

"I...I want a child," she replied in a whisper. "But...God...I...honestly don't know about the rest. Of course, in an ideal situation I'd want the father to be Walter. Evidently, that's...that's not going to happen. So, alternatives...well, I guess I would have said they're workable," Kim continued, doing a bit of her own reasoning as she went along as well. "But now...I...God...I just don't know what to think. I'm very confused, " she added, lowering her head.

"Well..." Scully shook her head. "I don't have a good answer for that one, because I'm no where near confident I have any answers here. But...I think we have to consider the possibilities and if uh...the Mulder alternative is the one you think might be desirable then we'll all try to deal with it like adults," Scully replied softly, patting Kim's knee.

Kim looked up.

"Oh Dana...you...you'd do that for me? I don't want any of this to hurt you or Fox," she whispered, taking Dana's hand.

"I know that, hon. And yes...I'd do it for you...Fox and I would need to discuss it but like I said earlier...Mulder was going to agree with Walter on John Rand...all of it. I have to believe he was agreeing with being the sperm donor part of the idea as well.

Kimberly released Scully's hand and ran her hand through her hair. Before she could speak again, the apartment door opened and Mulder returned, followed by Skinner.

Mulder came in and stepped to the side at the same time as Scully rose from the couch.

"Mulder...I need a word with you," Scully stated with a gesture of her head towards the bedroom.

"What?" Mulder asked as Skinner moved past him to stand next to the coffee table.

Mulder looked slightly flummoxed with Scully's direct addressing of him. Skinner still looked embarrassed and uncomfortable. Standing stiffly he waited to see what Scully was going to do. Kim looked at them all with an expression of anticipation on her face.

"I need to talk to you. If you'll both excuse us?" she replied looking from Skinner to Kim.

Walter nodded and so did Kim.

Mulder, gave a shrug, his face puzzled.

"Uh...I guess we'll let you know when we're done," he threw back over his shoulder as Scully yanked on his hand. He followed Scully as she went down the hall to his bedroom. When Skinner heard the door shut behind them he let out his breath in a sigh.

Kim looked up at him, her eyes watery with unshed tears.

"I'm sorry...I didn't mean to storm out of here. I don't know what came over me except to say, I'm starting to second guess myself...starting to not know what else to do, or say or how to act right now," he told Kim, showing her his hands, palms up. "I need to...to just get myself under control a little better," he added.

"Walter...you don't have the corner on getting up and running away from the situation," Kimberly answered quietly, giving him a rueful look. He twitched his lip up and shrugged a little. So did she. They both fell silent for a moment, staring at the floor.

"Look, babe. I know the John Rand thing sounded certifiable.. but I don't have any other explanation," Walter finally added forlornly.

Kim looked up and stretched out her hand suddenly, the look of love for him spilling out of her eyes along with her tears. Walter went to her, taking her hand and sinking down on the couch next to her. He pulled her into his embrace and hugged her tight

"I'm so sorry," he repeated. "We...we can do whatever you want, babe. If you just want to go home and forget this...or go home and call an adoption agency...or whatever...just...I'll do whatever you think is best," Skinner whispered into her hair.

Kim rested her head on his shoulder for a moment and then pulled back to look into his eyes.

"Walter...I honestly don't know what to believe about John Rand, or his wishes, the danger he thinks we're in over pursuing any of this...any of the uh...paranormal aspects of this matter. Dana...Dana seems to feel that Mulder was going to agree with you..."

"He said as much downstairs. Made me feel like an even bigger jerk for haring off that way," Walter interjected, stroking her hair.

"Then I have to at least bow to the idea that there are extraordinary possibilities I guess. I mean...this is the area of Fox's expertise after all. And honey...I know there's nothing wrong with you...here," Kim replied gently touching his head with a caress. "You're not imagining something or hallucinating. Besides, Fox is a psychologist...he'd know if there was something psychologically wrong with you. You've had a thorough physical - there's nothing organically wrong with you either. Scully said the same thing about Mulder. So, I know that whatever is going on is how you've both seen it and you're relating it honestly. I can't...I won't dismiss it out of hand even though it is hard to accept for all those reasons."

"I appreciate that, Kim. Because really, none of this is easy for me to accept either and I've been experiencing it directly. It's confusing and I still haven't decided what all of it means...especially the bit about John's warning about the dangers," Walter replied taking Kim's hand and kissing her palm.

Kim took a deep breath. She knew now after talking to Scully and sitting here and quietly talking to Walter, looking into his eyes, just what she wanted to do. She knew what to tell him but it wasn't going to make it any more easy. Her decision was going to effect all their lives profoundly and in ways she knew she couldn't even foresee completely. But she also knew it was the right decision for her.

"Walter...Dana...Dana had a good point about all of it, I think. And maybe this will kind of boil it down to the common denominator," Kim replied carefully.

Walter released her hand and sat back slightly.

"What did she say?" he asked, his face full of expectation.

"She said that all the John Rand matter notwithstanding that this situation comes down to one thing...whether I...and you too of course...really want a child and whether we'd be willing to accept another man as the father. And Walter...I have to agree that's a pretty good summation of the whole situation," Kim concluded, her voice a little shaky.

xXx

Mulder paced the bedroom and Scully watched him from her seat on the bed caught between wanting to laugh like hell or wanting to cry. He had started talking and pacing the minute the door shut and he hadn't stopped. Scully knew why...she just needed an opening in his diatribe to get him to realize it too.

"Now I know shared hallucinations are possible, there is precedence for them...but I really don't think what Walter and I experienced was a shared hallucination. No, based on previous data...my previous experience in the warehouse with Rand's walking into my body during Walter's assault...I tend to feel this was another instance of Rand's trying to control the action, this time of in order to talk to both Walter and me at the same time. But...if I could only figure out the 'danger message' angle. I tend to believe we may be on the right track with the idea he's warning us about the dangers of this whole line of inquiry...the fertility and..."

"Mulder?" Scully interrupted quietly.

"Huh?" he asked, stopping in mid stride to stare at her.

"Mulder...it's all right...I can talk about it. We need to talk about it," Scully replied gently, patting the bed next to her.

Mulder's shoulders sagged immediately, he ran his hand through his hair and then walked over and sat down next to Scully, taking her hand.

"I'm sorry...I...well...you can't teach an old Mulder new tricks I guess...and Scully...I didn't know what to say..." he let his voice trail off.

"I know. Mulder...you believe it all I understand that. You don't have to explain your reasoning. It's something...well I'm half inclined to believe it myself," Scully admitted giving his hand a squeeze.

Mulder gave her a lop-sided grin.

"Yeah?"

"Well...look...the paranormal issue isn't the real issue here anyway Mulder is it? I mean the real issue is whether Walter and Kim want to have a child and whether they'd accept another man as the father, right? she stated matter-of-factly.

Mulder's grin faded and he looked at her slightly stunned.

"Scully...you can't pretend it doesn't hurt for you to think about the ramifications here...or to voice that summation," he replied softly, touching her hair.

Scully lowered her head.

"Yes...yes it does hurt, Mulder. It hurts a lot. But...remember when you said to me that time 'I never saw you as a mother?'"

Mulder shifted uncomfortably.

"Yes. But..."

"But, nothing. To be honest...I never saw myself as a mother either. Oh, there were lots of reasons. My career, never being sure I'd be a good one. But you know...somewhere deep down I guess maybe I did at some point consider having kids. And yes, when I fell in love with you the idea did cross my mind about having children with you as I said when you asked me to marry you," she replied, looking into his eyes. "But Mulder...honest to God, even after Emily......I still don't really know if motherhood would be the right choice for me. I just don't know," Scully replied seriously.

"Maybe because of Emily," Mulder mumbled.

"Maybe...I can't discount that...but...Mulder...I have to face that fact that a women as ambivalent as I am right now...shouldn't plan on motherhood any time soon...even if she could conceive," Scully finished, with some amount of resignation in her voice to go along with the decisive logic of her reasoning.

Mulder nodded.

"I can understand what you're saying there. I mean...to say I'm ambivalent on my views about fatherhood would be an understatement," he replied quietly.

"But Kim and Walter...Mulder...Kim wants a child very badly and I think Walter does too..." Scully added, letting her voice trail off.

Mulder looked into her face and studied it carefully for a moment.

"You're going to suggest I donate sperm aren't you?"

Scully looked equally as carefully back at him.

"You already volunteered too, didn't you? Why?" she replied, touching his hand.

Mulder took a deep breath and let it out. It only took him a moment to respond and when he did it was with conviction and a certain amount of bitter defiance in his voice.

"Because I wanted...I wanted that man out on the couch to get a break for once in his life. I want Walter and Kim to be happy. After what's been done to him and indirectly to her now...to all of us over the years, really...I just wanted to see one of us happy for once. To have one of us win, Scully. To stick it to those bastards and come out ahead," Mulder replied, his jaw tight. "Just once," he added more quietly, looking away from Scully's compassionate blue eyes.

"I love you," Scully murmured, taking his hand and pulling him close. Mulder embraced her and stroked her back. "And I couldn't have said it any better."

"I'm so lucky to have you," he mumbled into her hair. "So lucky."

xXx

Walter nodded. Of course it made sense and even though he was surprised that Scully had been able to sum up the issue under what have had to have been difficult emotional circumstances, he could see her doing it. It was typically analytical Scully in a crisis. Walter set his shoulders and faced Kim, taking her hands.

"Kim...when we discussed having kids I know I balked at first. I questioned my suitability as a father...whether I'd be a good one due to my age and the job...oh, you know...all the objections based on fear that I came up with back then. I wasn't with the program right away. But...hell...I want kids now. I want them with you, Kim...more than I can say. And I've thought about it a lot," Walter explained, watching Kim's face.

"Go on," she prompted, holding his gaze.

"Well, I've come to the conclusion, there's more to being a father than just contributing my part of the genetic ingredients here," Walter continued. "Being a father means more than just making a baby. It means being there and nurturing the baby, being a role model...all those obvious and subtle things that encompass true fatherhood. So...just because Mulder would be the biological father doesn't mean I wouldn't be our babies real father, Kim. Because...if we do this thing...I'm going to give it my all, count on it. I'll be our baby's father...in every definition of the word," he added, his voice rough with emotion.

Kim squeezed his hands where he held hers.

"I always thought you'd be a wonderful father," she whispered.

"I love you, Kim," he whispered huskily. "If you want this...I'm with you, all the way."

"I want it," Kim replied her tears trickling down her cheeks.

Walter enveloped her in his arms and kissed her deeply. They tasted each other tenderly for several moments until the sound of someone clearing their throat interrupted them. Walter released Kimberly and smiled gently into her face. Then he looked up at Mulder. Scully stood next to him, holding his hand.

"I guess...I guess we're going to make a baby," he told the two agents.

"I guess we are," Scully replied, smiling.

TO BE CONTINUED....

Go Back to Part 2
Go back to The Office of the AD