The Due South Fiction Archive Entry

 

Watching Your Step 1


by
Vicki Tub

Disclaimer: I don't own these guys just looking after them.

Author's Notes: I would just like to thank those who take the time to read my stories it means a lot to me. Please feel free to review as well. Thank you kindly.

Story Notes: No warnings so far just enjoy. All mistakes my own i know i have faults sorry.


Watching Your Step

Fraser was sitting across the desk from Ray. Fraser was reading some of the report files that he was helping Ray with. Fraser took a glance up from the file he was reading at Ray. He was seeing a smiling Ray yet again. Fraser chuckled and shook his head.

Ray saw what Fraser had done. In a light tone, "What did I do Frase? What you laughing at Mr Mountie"?

Fraser put down the file and kept grinning, "Ray your smiling like a chesser cat again. I think your thinking about Sally again".

Ray sat back putting his arms behind his head.

Sitting back up, "Am I really that obvious Frase. Don't Ya think I could be smiling because you're helping with my files"?

Fraser laughed, "Maybe Ray. But I think it's Sally. So are you seeing her tonight"?

Ray's face lit up, "Ya I am. I'm really looking forward to it to. I must say".

Fraser leaned forward and gestured to Ray to do the same. So Ray did thinking he was going to hear a secret.

Fraser whispered, "Ray-mond if you don't get back to your work, and stop day dreaming, you'll be here all night. Then there will be no Sally time".

Ray laughed, "Understood Ben-ton".

Fraser shook his head laughing, "Pitter patter Stanley".

Ray picked up a sheet of paper and made it into a ball and threw it at Fraser. "That's not buddies Frase".

Lt Welsh had been watching them from the door of his office. He loved when Fraser helped Ray with his reports. They always made a very interesting read. Welsh always thought they should be published, or even used to teach that, that's how they should be done in the academy. He was so glad that the partnership of Kowalski and himself worked out so well. He hopes that Veccico was happy with his new life in Florida. With a shake of the head he went back into his office.

Fraser hated to admit it as it was very UN Mountie like. That he didn't care much for Sally. Sally was for ever belittling and cutting down Ray for no reason. Sally didn't care who she did it in front of or where she did it. Even in public it was if she enjoyed watching him crumble.

Sighing to himself, "Fraser didn't know what Ray saw in her. How he put up with it. Was he blinded by love or lust Fraser just didn't know?

Trying to concentrate on the file in was reading. Fraser was still thinking If, Sally keeps up her bad treatment of Ray he'll call her on it.

Turning a page in the file, Ray was just so happy these days. Ray walked with a bounce in his step that had been missing. So Fraser thought to himself he couldn't do that to Ray. He loved Ray so much. Fraser knew he could never tell Ray. Ray might hate for it.

Pinching his nose, What Ray needed was someone good after Stella. But Fraser felt that was not Sally. Ray was a good man. The best he'd ever known and valued his friendship like noting else in the world.

It was coming to the end of the day.

Ray stretched out his long limps, "Jezz Frase we got a hell of a lot done. Thanks a lot buddy. I couldn't have done it without you. It would have taken me forever".

Putting away the last file, "It's my pleasure Ray. And I have no doubt you would have been able to. But I'm glad to help anytime".

Ray gazed at Fraser blushing at his praise. Thinking to himself, `If you only knew it was you I loved not Sally. But you're so straight. But I still love ya Ben'.

Ray stood and out loud said, "Come Frase and I'll drive Ya home".

Pulling up outside the consulate Ray put his hand on Fraser's arm.

Ray spoke tenderly, Frase really thank you for today. I know it was your day off an all. So thank you".

Fraser gave Ray a heart warming smile, "Ray it's my pleasure. And there is in one I'd rather spend my day off with".

Ray smiled wider, "Really Frase".

Fraser got out of the car and let Diefenbaker out.

Fraser bent down ducking his head back in, "Really Ray. And Ray I hope that you have a lovely night and be safe".

Ray felt warmed by Fraser's words, "I will thank you Frase".

Ray waited watching Fraser bounce up the steps to the consulate. And opening the huge doors and waving back to Ray. Before pulling away Ray always liked to make sure that Fraser got in home safe. He would just die if something to Fraser because he didn't wait.

Ray drove away knowing that Fraser was in home safe and sound. Ray knew that Fraser didn't like Sally. Not that Fraser would ever come right out and say it. As Fraser would never do that. That was not Mountie like. But Fraser didn't hide the fact he didn't like her either very well.

Ray gripped the steering wheel. Thinking to himself, 'I mean I know Sally makes jokes about my hair and about my weight. I mean Ya I'm skinny not scrawny. I just can't keep weight on never could'.

Ray's mind was racing, `She couldn't mean all she says could she. Shit could she or is Fraser just been over protective like he always is'.

Ray finally got home and parked up. Hurrying up to his apartment he did not want to be late for his date. Ray had managed to get the best table in the restaurant. Ray was proud of himself for once.

Ray stood in front of his wardrobe. Scratching his head, `What to wear, what to wear'.

Ray was talking to himself, "Ok Kowalski you got to get this right sometime. Because you got it wrong the last time".

Ray pulled everything dressy that he owned. Matching pants with shirts to see what looked best. After what seamed like for ever Ray settled on a lovely cream pants and blue shirt that went perfect with it.

Ray looked in the mirror fixing his hair. Feeling confident that Sally would like this she had to. Ray hurried to pickup Sally for their date.

It didn't take long for Ray to drive to Sally's apartment. Ray picked up yellow roses on his way as they were her favourite.

Ray parked up picking up the flowers Ray bounced up the steps to Sally's apartment.

Knocking happily it took a few minutes for Sally to come to the door.

Opening the door Ray smiled wide on seeing her. Her beautiful long blond hair was in curls and pinned up. Sally had on the loveliest long black flowing dress that fitted her body perfectly.

But Sally just looked Ray up and down and frowned.

Sally spoke in a flat tone, those flowers for me. And is that what you're wearing. Really Ray your shoes do not go with your clothes. For gods sake Ray you should know by now".

Ray sagged. He felt completely gutted and just looked down at his shoes. He was so sure he had gotten right this time.

Still holding the flowers, "I'm sorry Sally. I tried. I can go change if you'd like. Just tell me what I should wear"?

Sally threw her eyes to heaven leaving Ray standing at the door. Sally went back in to put on hr coat.

Putting it on, "So where did you book this time"?

Ray smiled thinking he got this right at least, "The Hong Kong. They have a live band playing tonight. You'll love it".

Taking the flowers from his hand and throwing them on the hall table. Not even bothering to put them in water.

Ray felt like crying, "Sally you should put those in some water or they'll die"?

Slamming the door shut, "You telling me what to do now Ray. And why the Hong Kong Ray. I was there for lunch. This is just great. Why do I even bother"?

Ray put his hands in his pockets. Ray felt crushed, "Sorry Sally". Was all Ray managed to get out?

Dinner didn't go any better. The table was wrong. The music was getting on her nerves. Sally had something to say about everything.

Ray wanted to curl up and die when Sally started shouting at the waiter. She shouted so much that she nearly got the waiter fired. Even though the waiter had done noting wrong at all. In fact Ray was going to praise him to the manager.

Ray put his napkin down. One thing he was going to try and make this a lovely night.

Getting up and coming around the table. Putting out his hand to Sally, "May I have this dance"?

Sally looked at him as if he asked a stupid question, "Are you crazy Ray. I'm working all day. And you want to dance. No way. Just take me home".

Ray blushed with embarrassment because Sally had shouted that at him. Everyone in the restaurant had heard.

So Ray drove Sally home. Leaning in to kiss her goodnight she just slammed the door in his face.

Ray drove home feeling dejected yet another date that he had gotten completely wrong. Ray went straight to bed but didn't sleep.


 

End Watching Your Step 1 by Vicki Tub

Author and story notes above.

Please post a comment on this story.