The Due South Fiction Archive Entry

 

Caroline in the city Chapter 2


by
vicki tub

Disclaimer: i still don't own them such a shame

Author's Notes: For everyone i know

Story Notes: None at all at all


#

##

#Chapter 2

It was one of those rare days where Fraser was stuck working all day at the consulate and Ray had the whole day off. These were the days Fraser dreaded to come home. Not because he feared that Ray would be in a foul mood due to his extreme boredom. Constable Benton Fraser, decorated RCMP officer was afraid of his partner's eclectic and at times extreme shopping behaviour.

Ray when left alone in a store was a dangerous thing as it usually led to a frenzy of impulse buying. Fraser remembered coming home once to discover Ray had gotten addicted to the wonder of buying in bulk even if they didn't need it. Ray shopped relentlessly at Cosco, Wal-Mart, Home depot. It didn't matter that they had enough toilet paper and toothpaste for a year. Ray even bought hubcaps for a car they might buy some time in the future and a hedge cutter for hedges they didn't have in their garden as yet.

Ray stood in the living room of their home anxiously looking at all the stuff that he had just bought hoping that Ben wouldn't laugh at him for what he wanted to do. Ray wanted to decorate one of the bedrooms for Caroline. So he went out and bought paint, fancy curtains and light fixtures. He even picked up soft toys, blankets and a bed fit for a princess that his uncle had made. Ray bite his lip worriedly, hoping Ben wouldn't be mad that he didn't talk it over with him first. After all, Ben knew it was dangerous to leave him alone with nothing to do right! It wasn't his fault!

Finally clocking off for the day Ben motioned to Diefenbaker, "Let's go home Dief and see what new things Ray has bought today"

Dief barked, titling his head to the side with an almost human like expression on his face.

He laughed at what Diefenbaker had said, "That's very true Dief, Ray does mean well. Let's go home then shall we"

Dief followed on Fraser's heels curious himself as to what he'd find when they got home. His human pack mates always made him laugh with their curious ways.

Ray heard the key in the lock and braced himself for what was to come.

On seeing his Ben's beautiful face, Ray's heart skipped a beat as it always did when he saw him, "Hiya Ben, did ya have a good day?"

Ben saw Ray sitting there with a guilty face in the middle of all sorts of decorating paraphernalia and tried not to burst out laughing. Dief happily bounded forth to nose about the colourful wrappings, tail wagging happily at the vibrant materials

Shaking his head, Fraser laughed lightly, "Hello Ray. My day was fine thank you kindly. Of course it was not the same without you but I can see that you have been rather busy. Ray, can I ask you what all this is for?"

Ray looked down at the floor for a moment before taking a deep breath, "I err...thought it would be nice to do up a room just for Caroline. You know make it all girly and stuff. So the shop lady helped me pick out all these things. Are you mad? Do you mind?"

Ben's heart was warmed at what Ray had done, "Ray why would I be mad? I think that it is a wonderful idea"

Ray shrugged his thin shoulders, "I just thought you might be mad that I didn't talk to you about it first and didn't wait so we could pick stuff out together'

Fraser continued smiling at his partner's bent head as he rambled on at a 100 miles per hour.

`It's just errr... well I was out getting some stuff for Dief and I saw all this other stuff and I already had the bed made as a surprise for Caroline and well everything else just kind of happened. I am very sorry I didn't wait for you Ben'

When Fraser decided that he couldn't love this man more than he already did, he went and did something wonderful like this.

"Ray look at me" the Mountie gently commanded, `What you did, makes me love you even more. Do you realise I didn't even think of it but you did? And from what I can see you did a wonderful job at picking out all Caroline's favourite colours and stuffed toys. How did you know?"

Ray blushed hard at the compliment, "Caroline told me. Remember when we were building that second snowman, she told me a story about having a cloud for a bed and stars lights and paintings on the wall of her mummy and daddy and her second daddy on the wall with her horse and Dief. She said that she wanted me on the wall now along with the snowmen. Caroline is such a funny little girl and very bright for a three year old Ben. I love you more and more everyday for just letting me be apart of her life"

Fraser had been curious as to what they had been busy talking about and now he knew.

He took Ray's hand in his and lacing their fingers together he asked, `So, are you going to tell me what you plan to do with all this decorating stuff so?"

Now that he was sure the Mountie was onboard, Ray was filled with excitement and he tugged the man quickly to his feet, "Oh yes come on and I'll show you. I really hope that you like my idea?'

Following Ray up the stairs to the bedroom Ray picked out for Caroline he replied, "I'm sure I'll love it Ray whatever it is you plan on doing"

In the bedroom, Ben gasped as he saw the most beautiful child's bed he had ever seen. It did in fact look like a cloud in the sky. Caroline would love it! It was perfect.

"Ray, wherever did you get such a bed?" he asked in awe touching the sheets reverently.

The young man tucked his hands in his pockets with a slightly embarrassed air, "Well as you know my dad's brother is a really good carpenter so one day I asked him if he knew where I could find something like this. He told me to draw out what I wanted and he made it for me. His wife and daughter made the fluffy stuff and cushion stuff around it. I think it's great! Do you like it?"

The Mountie scooped his partner in his arms and rained hot kisses on his face, "Its wonderful Ray I can't even begin to tell you how much this means to me!"

Looking into Ben's eyes seeing the love and pride reflected back at him, "I can feel and see what it means to you Ben. Come look; let me show you what Uncle Daryl put under the cloud. See, he put a desk with drawers and a little chair so Caroline can sit and colour if she wants to or look at her books or whatever"

The timer buzzed on the cooker alerting Ray that the dinner that he put on for them was now ready.

Leaving Ben alone to look at the room Ray went to take it out quickly so it wouldn't burn.

Ben stood in the middle of the room amazed at what Ray had done. He never thought it was possible for one man to feel so in love as he was right at this moment.

In the meantime, there was a little girl faraway who was eagerly looking forward to the trip too.

Caroline ran into her mum and dad's room hugging her teddy bear that Ray had given her, "Mammy, daddy when am I going on the plane to daddy and Ray's house?"

Lisa and David lifted the excited girl off her feet and settled her in between them.

"Soon Caroline but you have to be very good now so you can go" her mum replied tickling her tummy playfully

Caroline smiled, "I will mammy. Daddy, will you be okay when I'm gone? Will you miss me?"

David picked Caroline up hugging her tightly to his chest, "Of course I'll miss you sweetheart, you're my baby girl. Don't worry though mammy will look after me, won't you mammy?"

Lisa kissed him on the cheek then kissed Caroline, "Of course I will Daddy. So Caroline are you going to be good for your dad and Ray?"

Nodding her head she hugged her teddy, "Yes mummy. Is daddy and Ray boyfriends now?"

David and Lisa exchanged startled looks. It still surprised them what came out of Caroline's mouth sometimes. The little girl was unusually observant. She must get that Fraser.

After getting the nod from David to go ahead she took the little girl on to her lap.

"Yes Caroline they are. Do you mind? How do you feel about that?"

The little girl giggled at her mum's question, "Ray loves daddy, so that's okay, right? Will Santa know where I am for Christmas?"

Surprised that Caroline took it so well, David answered the question this time, "Yes of course he will, I spoke to Santa and told him where you will be so don't worry"

Getting off the bed with her teddy bear she smiled merrily, "That's good daddy. Will you remind Santa to bring something for my horse so he won't miss me?"

David laughed, "Santa already told me that he will bring the biggest bale of hay that can fit in his sleigh just for him"

Caroline's face lit up as she skipped off happy in the knowledge that Santa would know where she would be and that her mummy would take care of her daddy and that Ray loved her dad. That might confuse some people but Caroline knew who was who and that they are all loved her and in the end that is all that mattered.


 

End Caroline in the city Chapter 2 by vicki tub

Author and story notes above.

Please post a comment on this story.