DSSVS#502: Back To Where We Started - Test

by Test - Orphan_Account

Disclaimer:

Author's Notes: This is a test. First story posted with the new interface . for the GTO Productions.

Story Notes:

This story is a sequel to: DSSVS#501: Resurrection


Back To Where We Started (DSSVS#502)
by Orphan_Account

Before Fraser could answer, there was a knock on the door. He swallowed and took a deep breath. He grabbed his rifle and started to open the door slowly, immediately pointing at their visitor with his gun: "Ray!"

Ray Vecchio stood in the doorway, dressed up in winter gears. "Definitely, you never thought about getting a phone, huh? After all this time spent in Chicago, I thought you would finally have seen the commercials."

"Ray," Fraser repeated astounded.

"Go ahead, Benny, shoot. It'd be a hell a lot easier than getting out of this snowsuit."

"Ray, why are you in snowsuit? It's spring."

"Yeah, just keep making fun of me, Fraser. I'm dying here."

Fraser shook his head and smiled fondly at his former partner.

"Some sort of dj vu, huh?"

"You could say that, yes," said Fraser, putting the rifle down. He took a step forward, taking Ray Vecchio in his arms and hugging him. Vecchio returned the hug and they held on tight for long minutes.

"Geez, enough with the kissing and groping already!" snapped Ray, stepping closer to Vecchio and Fraser.

"Nice to see you too Stanley. After all this time, it's always such a pleasure meeting you," said the Italian cop grinning.

"I thought I told you not to call me Stanley!"

"You sure?" asked Vecchio, feigning not knowing what Ray was talking about. "I don't remember."

"What the hell are you doing here?"

"Ray!" reproached Fraser.

"Saving your ass, you dummy."

"My ass's perfectly fine without you."

"Ray!"

"Well, are you gonna let me in, or are you planning on having me root where I stand?" Vecchio demanded.

"The jury's still debating, okay!"

"Ray!" repremanded Fraser again. He carefully pushed Ray aside and pulled his former partner into the cabin.

"How did you find us?" asked Ray angrily.

"The wind told me," mumbled Vecchio.

"What?" asked Ray bewildered.

"Never mind. I'm here, okay?" Vecchio proceeded to remove his outer clothing with Fraser's help, dumping the jacket, gloves and scarves on the floor.

Ray glared at the sight of Fraser helping Vecchio as though this was no big deal. It was bad enough that there were bad guys on their trail but now Vecchio had to show up and ruin things, too. Finally, unable to keep his mouth shut any longer, Ray demanded, "So what did ya bring with you?"

"Now we're talking," the balding detective said with a wink. Ray Vecchio opened his duffle bag and took out grenades, Uzi's, C-4, and all sorts of other interesting things that went boom.

"Ray, what are..." started Fraser, looking at the bag with some serious misgivings.

"Listen, Fraser. Remember last time? Yeah? Good. Well, I already told you there were legal." Then, under his breath, he added, "In Chicago."

"Time to prepare a party for our guests," Ray said hastily, before Fraser could protest again.

"Benny, how many bad guys?"

"Six."

"What did they do this time? Kill some moose or something?"

"Actually, yes. They are poachers."

"Oh, great!" Vecchio exclaimed, setting a small block of C-4 against the doorframe.

"Ray, you do realize that you're going to blow up the cabin?" Fraser pointed out, one dark eyebrow arching.

"Benny, you do realize we're going to die here if I don't?"

From his spot on the other side of the cabin, Ray was still swearing and cursing Vecchio for interrupting them. He couldn't have waited another minute or two, oh no. Vecchio just had to show up the second he had declared to Fraser that he was in love with him. Fraser hadn't had the time to answer and it was killing him. Was Fraser mad? Grossed out? In love too? Ray couldn't tell. Fraser looked like he always looked in a dangerous situation: calm and prepared.

Then Ray noticed Fraser looking out the window and his calm leaving somewhat as he called to the other detective, "Ray!"

Ray kept working with his C-4.

"Ray!"

Ray took another bloc of C-4 and linked it with the others.

"Ray!"

"What?!"

"They're here," said Fraser.

"Who?"

"The Daltons!" Vecchio snapped. Geez! Didn't Kowalski pay attention?

"Who?"

"The bad guys, you moron!" Vecchio exclaimed, taking a step towards the idiot. Fraser glanced at him and Ray bit his cheek, trying to calm down.

Peering above the window frame to look outside, Ray Vecchio found that there were men approaching in all-wheel drive vehicles, just like the one he had used to get to the cabin. When one of the bad guys passed between two trees, there was an explosion and he went flying in the air.

"What the hell...." started Kowalski.

"Not bad, huh?" asked Vecchio.

"You did that?" asked Fraser.

"Yep. Set that up before knocking on your oh-so-welcoming door."

"Ray, please. I'm...."

"It's okay, Benny. I know you're happy to see me. Not like Billy The Kid over there."

Kowalski flipped him the bird, barely pausing as he loaded one of the guns the Italian cop had brought with him.

"One down, five to go," Ray counted over his shoulder.

"Four," corrected Vecchio at a second explosion. He watched, grinning, as another man flew into the air.

"You got more set ups like that?" asked Kowalski.

"Nope. Guess we're gonna have to take care of the other guys."

"Diefenbaker!" Fraser called as the wolf ran outside the cabin.

"Fraser, what the hell is Dief doing outside?" asked Kowalski.

"I have no idea, Ray."

"Hey, Benny, you still got that trap under the cabin?"

Fraser looked at Vecchio suspiciously and his eyebrow rose again. "Yes, why?" He answered.

"Because it's time to clear out."

The Mountie removed the rug from the floor and opened the trap. They all went through it and Fraser closed it behind them, locking it from below the cabin. They moved swiftly through the yard and ended up in the shed, only to find Dief there.

"Good boy," Fraser said.

"He ain't a good boy," Vecchio commented. "He hid here because he was afraid."

Dief barked and growled at Ray.

"Shhh," scolded Fraser, "You don't want them to hear us, don't you?"

At that moment, they heard another explosion and looked through the window. One of the men had tried to enter the cabin and been welcomed by the C-4 blocks Ray had planted. He was now lying motionless on the porch.

"Three left," Vecchio observed

"Hey, cool. That's easy," said Kowalski.

"Unfortunately, I doubt the last three men will be as easy to catch," Fraser commented.

"It's always so great to hear your encouragement," said Vecchio. "You're such an optimist."

Ray opened the window and took his glasses from his inner pocket and put them on. He pointed his gun at one of the bad guys and took aim, ready to shoot. Fraser pushed his gun barrel down and said, "No." Looking at Fraser angrily, he demanded, "What is wrong with you, Fraser? You wanna wait until they shoot us?"

"No, Ray. But I have these," said Fraser, holding out a tranquilizer gun. "No need to kill them."

Ray looked at him in disbelief. "Are you shitting me?"

Fraser smiled thinly. "Not that I am aware of."

Still glaring, Ray took the gun from Fraser, aimed at the guy and fired. "Yes!" he hissed as the man went down.

"Only two left," said Vecchio.

"Glad to know you can count, Einstein" Kowalski mocked, aiming his gun at one of the remaining poachers just as the man disappeared behind a tree. "Shit!"

"I'm going to try to catch him," said Fraser, approaching the door. "Cover me."

"Fra ... Fraser! Don't! FRA...." Ray exclaimed. But Fraser had already slipped out of the door. He heard movement next to him and knew without looking that Vecchio was now at the other window, covering the Mountie. Grinding his teeth together in frustration, Ray watched for his partner's safety. "Freak," he muttered, reloading his gun.

Suddenly, there were gunshots and the window above Vecchio shattered into million pieces.

"Fraser! Get down!" yelled Kowalski, jerking open the door.

"What are you doing?" Vecchio shouted.

"Saving his Mountie ass!" Ray leaped though the door, shooting blindly with an Uzi this time before hiding behind a tree. Looking around desperately, he called out, "Fraser?"

No answer.

"Fraser! Shit! For crying out loud, answer me!"

"I'm here, Ray."

Ray's head swung towards Fraser's voice and he spied his partner behind another tree. "You couldn't have answered when I first called?"

"Ray, I was...."

"Hey, if you two are done, I think it's time we put a bullet through your Canadian heads," shouted one of the poachers.

"I'm not Canadian," Ray yelled furiously.

"Neither am I!" Vecchio ran out of the house, firing like a madman, and hid behind a nearby tree.

"Glad you could join us," Ray commented sarcastically.

"Oh yeah? Now what?" asked Vecchio.

"Now you can die," the taller poacher shouted. He was at least 6' 2" and weighed well over two hundred pounds.

"In your dreams," Kowalski shouted back, reaching his hand around the tree and firing.

"Ray," whispered Fraser. "Maybe I could try something."

"Oh, no, Benny. No. No. No. You just stay right where you are, okay?"

"Ray, I wasn't planning on moving. I was planning on telling them who I was."

"Like that's gonna help us."

Fraser took his badge from his pocket and held his hand around the tree. "I am Constable Benton Fraser, from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. You are under arrest. Please throw down your weapons and..." The last part of Fraser's speech was cut off by a blast of bullets flying in over his head.

"Benny, just stay put and shut up, okay?"

"Hey! Don't you talk to him like that!" Ray ordered from his place behind the tree.

"Well, we see that you guys have things to deal with, so we're gonna leave, okay?" said the second poachers, the smaller one.

"SHUT UP!" yelled both Rays at the same time.

Long minutes passed before something else happened as both camps tried to figure out what to do to break the stalemate. Suddenly someone yelled, ran, and fell, followed by Dief barking and growling. Ray took a chance and peered around his tree and saw a man lying on the ground, Diefenbaker on him, growling. "Fraser," he murmured, jerking his head toward the man on the ground.

Fraser took his tranquillizer gun, bent slightly around the trunk and fired, hitting the man in the neck ... just before being shot at by the second and last poacher. Dief ran away as the last man turned to shoot at him.

"I think I hit him," Fraser said.

"Of course you did, Benny," Vecchio agreed with a grin.

"You're gonna pay for that," yelled the last poacher.

"Look pal, we're three ... uh, four, against you. You'd better give up or you'll end up dead. My friend here's Canadian and has a tranquillizer gun but see, I ain't Canadian, and the bald guy over there ain't Canadian either, we're Americans. And we got Uzi's. You wanna fight against two Uzi's, a Mountie and a deaf wolf?"

The man looked around frantically, searching desperately for a way to escape. "Lemme think about it!"

"Hurry up, pal," Kowalski threatened.

At that moment, the man started to run to the ATV, Dief on his heels, barking. Vecchio, Kowalski and Fraser all moved at once, aiming and firing almost simultaneously. The man fell to the ground: Vecchio's bullet hit him in the shoulder, Ray's bullet in the thigh and Fraser's tranquilizing dart in the neck. They left the tree cover and approached the man.

"Told you to give up," said Kowalski, kicking the man's gun away with his feet as the man lost consciousness


Fraser, Vecchio and Kowalski gathered all the bad guys together, bringing them back to the cabin. After several minutes, the poachers were tied and handcuffed. Fraser's cabin had come out lucky, only the front door had exploded this time.

"We should head over Maggie's," said Fraser.

"Who's Maggie, your girlfriend?" Vecchio teased.

Ray took several deep breaths not to pounce on Vecchio on the spot and kick him in the head at the question. Girlfriend. What the hell would make Vecchio ask that?

"Maggie is my sister, half sister actually," Fraser explained quickly, seeing that Ray looked about ready to explode at Ray Vecchio's question. He ran a thumb over his eyebrow, distressed and wondering how on earth he was going to find time to talk to Ray about what he'd said just before Ray Vecchio had burst in on them. They had to take care of the poachers, which really would be best done at Maggie's, and then there was still Ray Vecchio present to consider as well.

"Didn't know you had a sister," Vecchio said, obviously hurt.

"I didn't know it myself either until recently," Fraser assured him. Just what he needed. Two overly sensitive friends who couldn't stand each other.

Vecchio smiled a little in relief. Now that the bullets had stopped flying, he could try and actually talk to Fraser. Not that it looked like Kowalski was thrilled with that but he could just shove it. "I'd like to meet her."

"All right then. We will head to Maggie's where we can get some rest and call the police to come fetch these men."

"Good idea," said Vecchio.

"Ray, I'll go with Ray in one vehicle. We'll lead the way, you'll just have to follow us," said Fraser.

Ray looked at his partner with hurt in his eyes. How Fraser could prefer to go with Vecchio instead of him? Maybe Fraser didn't want any more to be alone with him? Maybe Fraser was going to say that he didn't share Ray's feelings? Maybe Fraser was going to....

"Ray? Ray are you listening to me?"

"'Course I am. You're going with Vecchio. Right," said Ray angrily.

Fraser opened his mouth to say something but there wasn't really anything to say so he closed it again. He looked at Ray Vecchio who shrugged, then they each grabbed a poacher and headed outside towards the vehicles to asses the situation. Two of the men were dead; the first one whose car had exploded outside the house, and the one who had tried to open the cabin's door. Ray climbed into the driver's seat of the poachers' ATV without looking at Fraser.

"We'll send a team to bring back the bodies," said Fraser to Vecchio, willing himself not to look at his partner. They would get this straightened out, he thought firmly.

"Let's go, Benny."

Fraser nodded, climbing into his vehicle and started the engine.


The ride to the airport took a couple of hours and Ray thought he was going to go crazy; mostly because Fraser was alone in the other car with his old partner. He didn't know what his partner was telling Vecchio. What were they talking about? He knew Fraser wouldn't mention his declaration...would he? Maybe Fraser needed someone to talk to about it besides Ray. His best friend from before Ray's time would do the trick. He could imagine Vecchio's sharp and venomous comments and groaned.

"You're sad 'cause your lover's gone with his buddy?" taunted one of the poachers.

"Shut up!"

"Oooh, it's true, isn't it?"

"I said shut up!"

"You wanted the Mountie all for yourself but the other cop showed up and, bang, no Mountie anymore."

"You're gonna shut your trap or I'm gonna explode your fucking head!"

"Well, truth to be told, I don't see what he finds in that bald bastard."

Ray had to smile at that. "Me neither," he mumbled under his breath. Then he added louder, "Shut up, okay?"

"You know, if you want to...." started the poacher.

"If I want to shoot you square between the eyes, I got this," said Ray, reaching across the seat and picking up the Uzi. "Now, you just shut up."

The poacher didn't argue this time. He looked at his accomplice, shrugged his shoulders and closed his eyes, leaning back in the seat.


"Benny, you haven't said a word since we left," Ray said uneasily. This wasn't at all how he'd seen their reunion. In his imagination, he'd been able to get out two words before Benny started talking about some stupid Inuit or moose story. Of course, in his vision of things, Kowalski had been a lot more grateful about being rescued too.

"I'm sorry, Ray. I have a lot of things in my mind."

"What kind of things?"

"I'm sorry, but I can't tell you."

"Oh, I see. I bet it's about Kowalski. Things changed, you're not the same anymore, Benny."

"Neither are you, Ray," said Fraser, glancing at his friend.

"Right. But I wish we could at least talk like the good old days."

"We can, Ray. It's just that things have been a little hectic lately. And I need some time to think about everything."

"Okay. Well, then, ask me something."

"Very well. How is your relationship with Stella going?"

"Not that thing!"

"I'm sorry, Ray."

"Oh, it doesn't matter anymore after all. Everything's over."

"Why? You seemed to have something real between both of you."

"It was, Benny. Believe me it was. Well, at least I had thought it was. Up until two days ago, we were going to be married."

"What happened?"

"You had to get yourself in trouble."

"You mean this is all my fault?" asked Fraser hurt.

"No ... not really."

"What do you mean?"

"Listen, Benny. I don't wanna talk about it, okay?"

"You said I could ask you a question. So I did."

"So did I but you didn't answer me."

"It's not the same, Ray. And you know it."

"Oh, yeah, really?"

"I'm sorry," Fraser repeated, turning back to fix the road in front of him. This wasn't going at all well. It seemed as though he couldn't talk to either of his Rays.

"Hell, Fraser, I hate it when you do that. Okay, I'm gonna tell you."

"You don't have to."

"I know. Well, here's the story. Stella and I were going to get married. I had some business to do in Chicago, tell Ma and Frannie, so I decided to drop by the Precinct to tell them the good new and invite them to the wedding. Ask them if they knew where you were. That kind of thing."

Fraser glanced at Ray and nodded, meaning he was listening to what Ray was saying.

"So, here I am, in the 27th, right? I knock on Welsh's door and he asks me to come in even though he's on the phone. I open the door, he motions me to sit, so I sit and wait while he's on the phone. When he hung up, do you know what he told me?"

"No."

"The Mountie's going to get himself in trouble again. That's what he told me, Fraser. So, me, being nice and all, I ask him what's wrong and he told me you will manage to come across poachers, a lot of them actually."

"I'm sorry, Ray."

"Hey, wait. I'm not at the best part yet. So, I ask him why you will and not are in trouble, and where the hell you are, and he tells me: In Canada. Where do you want them to be? So I ask him: Them? And he says: Yeah, Fraser and Kowalski. And at that moment, the phone rings again. Welsh picks it up, listens for a minute then looks at me with that I've-seen-a-ghost look on his face. Then he hands me the phone."

"Hey, is this going to be a long story?" demanded one of the poachers.

"You in the back, you just shut up," Ray ordered, waving his gun at the man who hastily sat back. Turning back to Fraser, he continued, "So, where was I? Ah, yeah. I take the phone and guess who it was?"

"I have no idea," said Fraser, glancing at Ray curiously.

"Quinn. Your old buddy Quinn. That was him on the phone with Welsh earlier, and he was calling back."

Startled, Fraser asked, "How did he know you? You two had never met."

"That's exactly what I said. But that Mojo-man just said that the wind told him, that he had a premonition or something."

"The wind?" asked Fraser.

"Yeah. The wind. The wind told him to call Welsh and asks for Vecchio. The good ol' Vecchio."

"What did he say?"

"Oh, nothing. Just that you were going to be in the middle of nowhere, in your father's cabin. That I knew where it was and that you were going to be in trouble. Oh, and he also said that I had to go and rescue you, being the good Samaritan that I am."

Suspiciously, Fraser questioned, "He actually called you a good Samaritan?"

Shrugging, Ray admitted, "No, I actually added that part myself."

"Ah. And, that's how you knew where we were and arrived in time?" asked Fraser, putting two and two together.

"Yeah, so I called Stella and told her I had to go to Canada to rescue my buddy the Mountie and her ex-husband."

Fraser couldn't help but smile. "I'm sure she was thrilled about that."

"You bet. The wedding was set up for today. I asked her to postpone it, and of course she refused. She told me that I had to choose, her or you."

"What did you do?"

"What do you think I did, you moron? Am I not sitting in this ATV, next to you, with two poachers on the back?"

"I'm sorry, Ray," said Fraser again, not knowing what else to say.

"So am I, Benny."

And they fell silent.


They arrived at the small airport and took their plane. Once in the Norwest Territories, they rented ATN cars and headed to Maggie's cabin.


They finally arrived at Maggie's cabin as the sun was setting. The young woman stepped out of her home with a rifle in hand while the vehicles parked. Cautiously, Fraser opened his door and stepped out, calling, "It's me, Maggie!"

"Fraser!" she exclaimed happily, walking quickly towards the Mountie and taking him in his arms. Looking up at him, she continued, "Already back? Couldn't live without me, huh?"

Fraser smiled and approached his sister, kissing her softly on the cheek. "It's always so good so see you, Maggie."

Vecchio coughed politely and Fraser pulled away from his sister with a smile. "Ray, this is my sister, Maggie MacKenzie. Maggie, this is my good friend Ray Vecchio."

"Nice to meet you," she said, shaking the Italian man's hand.

"Hey, pretty, how is going?" asked Ray with a grin. He took Maggie in his arms and lifted her off the ground, spinning around a couple of times, before putting her back on the floor.

"Marvelous. Even better now that your here," she exclaimed, kissing him on his lips briefly and keeping a grip around his waist. "How're the puppies? And how's the mother?"

"Maggie and the familly are fine, Ray."

Fraser felt jealousy rush through his whole body as Ray chuckled and hugged the petite woman again. It was completely irrational, he knew, but Fraser definitely had the urge to pull the two of them apart ... forcibly. He compromised by stepping forward and saying stiffly, "Maggie, we'd like to use your phone."

"I hope you're not here only for that," she said, stepping away from Ray. Hands on her hips, Maggie mock-frowned at Fraser.

Smiling, unable to hold onto the bad mood, he assured her, "Of course not."

"No, we're here for that and to grab something to eat," Vecchio joked.

"Ray!" Fraser scolded.

"Hey, he's right," Ray agreed with a grin.

Maggie shook her head and peered behind the men, looking in the car. "What's with the baboons?"

"Poachers," Fraser explained. "We need to call the local police."

"I see. Are they secure in there?" she asked.

"Oh, yeah," Ray testified. "Hey, you know what? I'm so hungry that I think I could actually eat a moose."

Maggie laughed and led the way into her cabin saying, "Hey, Fraser, I have some pemmican that you just have to taste."

"I can't wait," said Fraser.

Vecchio and Kowalski looked at each other and made a face, for once on the exact same page.


Noticing that there was something odd going on between Fraser and Ray almost immediately, she set Fraser and Ray to preparing a Caesar salad. Hopefully that would give them some time to talk in relative private. She then ordered Ray Vecchio to the grill outside and handed him some moose steaks and potatoes that had been baked in the oven the previous day. She went to get some wine from the cellar while the men were busy getting the food ready.

Fraser carefully washed the lettuce free of dirt then handed them to Ray who tore them up, apparently taking his frustrations out on the helpless vegetation. "Are you all right?"

"Fine."

That was informative, Fraser thought. "I want to talk to you about ... about what you said earlier today."

"So talk."

Fraser sighed. This was not going well. He could see that Ray was tense and stiff, as though expecting rejection. Nothing could be further from the truth, though. Opening his mouth to say so, Fraser nearly snarled in frustration when Ray Vecchio returned.

"Hey Benny, how do you and Kowalski want your steaks?"

Naturally, just then, Maggie returned as well with wine for both Rays and some maple leaf tea for himself. Fraser's hands clenched and ruined the lettuce in his hands. "Medium well is good for me, thank you kindly Ray. Ray?"

"Rare."

"Rare is not a good idea with all the bacteria that..."

"Fraser?"

Fraser stopped talking and looked at the way Ray's jaw was clenched. He'd only seen that particular look once before and it had preceded a blow to the face: his face. "Understood."

By the time the dinner was ready and Fraser had come back from the vehicles where he had brought water to the poachers, the police had arrived by helicopters. Though Maggie offered, they refused to stay to dinner and transferred the bad guys to their choppers before leaving. While the two Rays helped with changing the prisoners over, the Superintendent, who had come with constables, asked to speak with Fraser privately.

"I want to say that I think you did a remarkable job, considering what you had to work with, Constable Fraser," the older man said.

"Thank you sir, I appreciate that," Fraser replied.

"As a matter of fact, I believe that some of your reputation may have been exaggerated and would like to offer you a position as Corporal here in Innuvik."

Astonished, Fraser didn't know what to say. Finally, he responded, "Thank you, sir. I really appreciate the confidence you show in me in offering such a promotion."

"That doesn't sound like an affirmative, Constable."

"Honestly sir, I don't know what to say. May I have a few days to consider the offer?"

The Superintendent looked at him shrewdly and said, "Of course. Don't take too long, however. Chances like this don't come around very often, Constable."

"Understood, sir."

When Fraser returned, standing beside Ray Vecchio, Kowalski and Maggie to watch the envoy leave with the poachers, he wondered if his face was as pale as he felt, but didn't explain to the others what the Superintendent had offered.

Dinner was long and lazy as they talked about the day, entertaining Maggie with their exploits. Later, when the dishes were done, Ray stepped out on the front porch, wondering where Maggie and Fraser had disappeared. Being alone with Vecchio was not his favorite pastime. As he moved to the side of the porch, he could hear voices and looked around the corner.

Maggie was holding Fraser's hand and saying, "You have to tell him, Fraser. You have to tell him that you refuse."

Ray felt as though he had been hit by a truck and backed away, careful not to make any noise that Fraser's bat ears would pick up. Running blindly into the woods surrounding the cabin, he ran until he was out of breath. Leaning against the nearest tree, he kicked it then banged his head against the hard wood. So Maggie was against them. And if Maggie didn't want him and Fraser together then slim chance anyone else would. Fraser always went by what he considered duty and honor and this time, that meant leaving Ray.

Kicking the tree again, he shouted, "NO! I knew it! Fuck!"

Eventually Ray decided that it was time to head back. He left his tree and cursed himself, his foot and his head, in that order. The feeling of emptiness deep inside was growing the closer he got to the cabin. He had expected, no, he had hoped for everything from Fraser. Though he knew it was a possibility, he hadn't really considered that Fraser would reject him. When Ray entered the cabin, Fraser, Maggie and Vecchio were at the table, playing cards. Just like I hadn't disappeared for the last thirty minutes, he thought sourly. It looked like with Vecchio back in town, Fraser definitely didn't need him.

Fraser stood up and rushed towards his partner the moment he entered the room. "Ray! God, where were you?"

"Out," Ray answered flatly.

"He was worried like hell and wanted to go search for you, but I told him that you were a grown man and that you were probably gone for a walk," Vecchio said, leaning back lazily in his chair.

"Whatever," snapped Ray, heading to the bathroom.

"Ray," Fraser began.

"Get of my way, Fraser," Ray ordered, pushing Fraser aside and entering the bathroom.

"What is wrong with him?" asked Maggie curiously.

"I don't know," said Fraser, staring at the closed door with concern. He approached the door and knocked a couple of times. "Ray? Please, open up."

Ray opened the door and exclaimed, "Give me some space, okay?"

Fraser opened his mouth to talk but nothing came out before Ray slammed the door shut again. His jaw closed with a snap and he looked at his former partner. Ray had left the table and joined him near the bathroom.

"Come on, Benny, time to go to bed," said Vecchio, clapping his friend on the shoulder.

Glancing once more at the closed door, Fraser nodded reluctantly and followed Ray back into the living area.


The next morning Ray was up first, not being able to sleep much anyhow. He looked at Fraser's sleeping form for a long time, watching the sunlight playing on his face. Asleep, Fraser looked way too good and he turned abruptly, heading for the refuge of the bathroom again. By the time he got out, Fraser had woken and was outside, cutting some wood for Maggie. Of course Super Mountie wouldn't need anything to wake up, he was just the `up and at `em' type of guy. For some reason, that grated on his nerves more than usual. He saw that Vecchio was still sleeping but Maggie was coming out of her bedroom.

"Hi," she mumbled sleepily, moving past him into the kitchen.

"Hi," answered Ray with an awkward smile.

"Ray?"

"Yeah?"

"What is wrong with you?"

"What?" asked Ray.

"What is wrong between you and Fraser?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," said Ray, reaching for the coffeepot.

"Right. And you expect me to believe you?" She approached Ray, taking the coffeepot out of his hand. She moved with it to the sink and filled it before starting the coffeemaker. She might live in the wilderness but that was no reason to be uncivilized; and living without good coffee was uncivilized. Ray didn't answer, fidgeting instead with a spoon. Maggie shook her head and reached for Ray's hand, stopping his movements. "Ray! Look at me in the eyes and tell me nothing's wrong between the two of you."

Ray glanced at her then looked away.

"That's what I thought. Now, Stanley Raymond Kowalski, you're going to tell me what is wrong between you and my brother or I'll give you to the bears; I'm sure they'll find you quite tasty."

Ray snorted in amusement. She would, too. Finally he met her gaze. "He didn't say anything."

"Didn't say anything?"

"Yeah."

"About what?"

"Um, listen Maggie, it's quite personal."

"What? That you're in love with my brother?"

Ray nearly choked as he tried to breath and swallow at the same time. Looking at her so fast that he almost gave himself whiplash, he exclaimed, "What?"

"Come on, Ray. It's not a secret. It's obvious."

"Well, not that obvious apparently." Ray headed toward the fridge.

Maggie followed him and opened one of the kitchen cabinet, taking out a mixing bowl to start the pancakes then taking out the ingredients needed as well. "What do you mean?"

Even knowing how whiney it sounded, Ray answered, "I told him I was in love with him and he ignored me."

"I don't believe you," Maggie said bluntly.

"Don Juan over there showed his face and Fraser hasn't say a word since."

"Ray, maybe he...."

Maggie's words were cut off by Fraser coming back inside the cabin. Ray cursed Fraser for interrupting them, wanting desperately to ask Maggie why she had told Fraser to refuse him

Fraser approached them, kissing Maggie on the cheek. "Good morning, Maggie."

"Morning, Fraser," she answered, kissing him back.

Then, as though it were the most natural thing in the world, Fraser crossed the short distance to Ray and kissed him on the cheek too, though far more lingering than his kiss to his sister had been. "Good morning, Ray."

Ray stiffened, positive that he had stopped breathing. Looking into Fraser's eyes, he saw...well...he wasn't sure what he saw. Fraser looked cheerful and happy and seemed totally focused on him. Ray felt a rush of adrenaline run through his body, ending in his cock, making him harden slightly. "Mo-morning, Frase. D'you ... d'you want some pancakes?"

"Ray, they're not even cooked yet."

"Well, no, but it's a good start," he said, starting to mixing the eggs with the other ingredients. He didn't need to work too hard since his hands were shaking like leaves.

"Yes, it's true, he's well on the way to become a Chef."

"Yep, it's going to be the best pancakes you've ever eaten," Ray promised, trying to think about something ugly, really ugly, to calm his libido. Vecchio, he would have to picture Vecchio naked, that would certainly work.

"Will you stop yapping? Some people are trying to sleep," Vecchio complained, yawning and moving towards the kitchen.

"Good morning to you too, Vecchio," said Ray.

Ray Vecchio kept yawning and stretching. "Morning, Benny. Maggie."

"Good morning, Ray," said Fraser.

"Good morning, Ray," echoed Maggie. "The bathroom's still over there, hasn't changed since yesterday. Breakfast will be ready in a minute."

"Do I trust Kowalski enough to try his cooking? Um? Good question," he said disappearing in the bathroom.

"Hey, if you wanna die of starvation, go right ahead Vecchio," yelled Ray so that Vecchio would hear him from behind the door.

"Die of starvation or die of poisoning, hard decision to make."

"Yeah, well, your loss, not ours," Ray muttered, turning back to prepare the pancakes.

"Do you need any assistance, Ray?" Fraser asked politely, moving closer.

God he smelled good, Ray thought, breathing in the sweaty smell. Finding it hard to think, never mind cook, with Fraser so close, Ray shook his head. Keeping his eyes firmly on the mixing bowl, he said, "Got it under control, Frase, ah, thanks anyhow."

Everything was ready when Vecchio got out of the bathroom, however. The table was quickly set and everyone took a chair to begin eating.

"Guess I'm gonna give it a try," the Italian cop said, sitting down with a grin.

"You sure?" Ray challenged. "Not afraid anymore of being poisoned?"

"I'll take the risk," he answered, digging like a starving man into the pancakes. He took the bottle of homemade maple syrup and poured a great amount of them. Taking a bite, he closed his eyes and smiled in delight.

"So?" Maggie prompted.

"Gotta say, Stanley, it's astounding."

Astounding. Ray Kowalski smiled proudly and took another pancake for himself.

The rest of the breakfast was animated with anecdotes of Fraser and Ray's trip and some stories about Maggie since returning to Canada. Ray Vecchio stayed silent, listening to the stories but not participating. He couldn't talk about the time he spent as Armando Langostini and didn't want to talk about the months he spent with Stella. He knew Kowalski was going to kill him and didn't want to mention the reason why they broke off their marriage.

After breakfast, they helped Maggie clean everything up. She gave them some provisions for the rest of the road and called the airport to book her guests a flight. The boys needed to head back to Chicago for the trial. The had discovered that the poachers were Americans, from Chicago.


"So, Constable, what did you decide?" asked the Superintendent.

"I'm sorry, sir, but I have to decline."

"Constable, you realize you're missing a great opportunity here. An opportunity that won't present itself again."

"I know, sir. I'm sorry. But I have to decline."

"Have you carefully thought about it? Have you thought about the consequences?"

"Yes, sir. And I am sure of my decision. I can't accept."

"Very well, Constable. I hope you don't regret this."

"Yes, sir."

The Superintendent nodded to Fraser who saluted him instantly and watched the older man leave. He knew it was the right decision but things were so up in the air with Ray, with everything really, that he was nervous. He walked over to where his friends stood a short distance away and forced a pleasant smile.

"What did he want?" Ray asked suspiciously.

"Yeah, you were all secretive about it," said Vecchio.

"It's not important. It's over," said Fraser.

"Yeah, right!" snapped Ray angrily, then he headed towards the ticket counter. He knew something was going on for that bigwig to meet them at the airport but Fraser didn't see fit to let him in on whatever it was. Not that he was surprised. Fraser wasn't talking to him hardly at all anymore.

Fraser wanted to follow but Ray Vecchio stopped him. "Listen, Benny. If there's something wrong, I wanna know it."

"There's nothing wrong, Ray. I had to make a decision, and I did."

"About what you couldn't tell me yesterday?"

"Yes."

"So, everything's fine."

"I hope. I just need to care of one more thing. "

"You need some help?" asked Ray, patting the Mountie's shoulder as they walked towards the ticket counter, following Ray's path more slowly.

Fraser ginned and thumbed his eyebrow. "I don't think you could be much help."

"Okay, then. But I just want you to know that I'm here if you need me."

"You're going to stay in Chicago?" asked Fraser, changing the subject.

"Yep. Ma still has my old room. Of course, I need to move out all of Frannie's clothes, but then, I'm back at home. As for Welsh, he offered my old job at the 27th."

"Ray, this is great! Did you agree?"

"Yeah. And he told me I'd be partnered with Elaine."

"Elaine? I didn't realize that she had made Detective grade so quickly."

"Yep."

"This is good news indeed, Ray."

"Yeah, I guess. He told me a lot of things changed while you and Kowalski were gone."

"What things?" Fraser asked curiously. He smiled at the airline worker and handed her his ticket. She smiled back and gave him the appropriate paperwork. Waiting for Ray to go through the same thing took only a moment and then they were walking down the ramp and into the airplane. Riding on the inside of a plane, how novel, he thought sarcastically to himself.

Ray picked up speaking with, "Well, for one, Frannie's pregnant."

Fraser gapped at Ray. "Francesca? Pregnant?"

"Yeah. I still can't believe it. Five months Fraser, five months! She was already when you left for Canada."

"Do you know who the father is?"

"She wouldn't tell me. What can I say?" Vecchio shook his head then decided to continue. "Well, Huey and his partner, Dewey, are back. They've still got that insane comedy club going on but are only working it on weekends. They claimed to miss the action and asked to come back. I'm betting Welsh made them crawl a little, which would have been fun to watch. Uh, what else? Oh yeah! Your old buddy Turnbull is back at the Consulate. Don't ask me how Welsh knew that because I haven't got a clue. "

"Well, I guess we're back where we started," said Fraser, sighing nostalgically as he sat in his seat and buckled it firmly. He glanced over at Ray who was pointedly looking out the window, ignoring them both.

"Yeah, just like the good old days," Vecchio agreed with a grin. He shoved his pack in the overhead compartment then sat next to Fraser. Frowning briefly at Kowalski, he shrugged and continued, "So we'll still be able to work together sometimes which will be great."

Fraser didn't comment, not wanting to upset Ray further with talk like that. He knew his silent partner was worried but they just hadn't had any time alone together to discuss things. Realizing that said Ray was waiting for him to say something, Fraser asked, "Did Leftenant Welsh tell you if he heard about Inspector Thatcher?"

"No. Nothing about her actually."

"I guess everything is working out for her at the Secret Intelligence."

"Yeah, I guess," Ray agreed with a shrug.

The plane began takeoff procedure and Fraser found himself grateful that Ray Vecchio was suddenly dealing with blocked ears. It wasn't very nice of him, he knew, but it gave him a chance to talk a little with Ray. "Are you all right?"

"Fine."

So they were back to one-word answers. Fraser sighed. "I still want to talk to you about the other day."

"Just leave it, all right Fraser?"

Startled, Fraser asked, "What?"

"You heard me. Just don't talk to me right now, okay?"

Hurt, Fraser nodded and replied, "Very well."

The rest of the flight was silent between the three men. It didn't take long to get to O'Hare but the luggage area was overflowing. They finally found their belongings and headed outside. Fraser turned to Ray Vecchio and said, "I guess this is where we part ways."

Ray squeezed his friend's shoulder again and said earnestly, "I missed you, Benny."

Fraser locked eyes with his ex-partner and smiled. "I missed you too, Ray."

"Hey Fraser?"

"Yes, Ray?"

"I think your ride just left."

Shocked, Fraser spun and watched as Ray got into a cab and left them without even saying goodbye. "Oh dear."

"So, um, what are you gonna do? You wanna go eat something?"

"No, thank you, Ray. I need to talk to Ray and get something important straightened out."

"Okay. Sure. He still got his apartment?" Ray asked curiously.

"Yes. While you were in the men's room, he called his parents and his mother told him that they paid the rent for him, keeping the apartment clean and feeding the turtle, because they thought that he would be coming back soon."

"Ah, moms, all the same," Ray commented with an amused grin, shaking his head. "You want me to share a cab?"

"That would be great, Ray. Thank you kindly."

"You have some place to stay?" Ray asked as he hailed a cab.

"Yes, the Consulate."

"You can stay at my place you know."

"That's a wonderful offer, Ray, and thank you kindly but it's not necessary."

"Okay, then."

A cab finally deigned to notice them and they got in after settling the bags in the back. It didn't take long to get to Kowalski's apartment building and the cab parked while Ray and Fraser got his bags out of the back. Naturally, Fraser had the least baggage of them all, only the one shoulderable duffel bag.

"So I'll see you around the precinct then. And we should get together this weekend, maybe take in a game or something," Ray suggested.

"That sounds good," Fraser agreed vaguely, looking towards the apartment where he knew Ray was.

"Hey, Benny?"

"Yes Ray?

"If you need me, just call. "

Warmed by the sincerity, Fraser nodded and smiled. "I will, thank you kindly, Ray."

Ray got back into the cab, which drove away.

Fraser turned to the apartment building and walked over to the door. He pushed the intercom button and the landlady answered.

"Who is it?"

"Constable Fraser, ma'am."

"Who?"

"Ray Kowalski's partner."

"Why aren't you buzzing him?"

"He's not expecting me," said Fraser, eluding the question.

"Okay. I'm letting you in. But only because you're with the police."

"Thank you kindly, ma'am."

The intercom buzzed and Fraser opened the door. He climbed the stairs very slowly, suddenly afraid. His legs started shaking and his heart was thundering in his chest. Fraser stopped in the middle of the stairs, took a deep breath, and started his way up again. Finally, he came to a stop in front of Ray's door. He stared at it for a couple of long minutes, then took another deep breath and knocked.

It took Ray another couple of agonizing minutes to answer. He apparently looked through the peephole because he yelled through the door, "Go away!"

Fraser waited then tried the doorknob and found, to his great surprise that it opened. He pushed the door slightly and peered inside. Ray wasn't anywhere to be seen. He entered the apartment then closed the door behind him. Ray came out of his bedroom, wearing an old pair of gray sweats, a worn white t-shirt with a hole in the neck. His hair was wet and spiky and even from his spot a few feet away, Fraser could smell the soap he'd bought Ray up north: sandalwood, mandarin and cedar wood. Fraser's heartbeat sped up even more, something he couldn't believe was possible.

"Go away!" Ray ordered flatly.

"Ray, please, listen to me."

"Listen to you? Listen to you. Have you ever listened to me, Fraser?"

"Yes, Ray. I have."

"No, no, no, you don't! If you had, you would've said something way before now!" Ray paced then ended up standing behind the couch, using it almost like a shield.

Fraser treated him like an appropriately dangerous animal and kept the couch between them. "Something?"

Ray glared at him for a long moment then jumped the couch and exclaimed, coming almost chest to chest with Fraser, "Don't play innocent with me, Fraser! You know what I'm talking about."

"Ray. I can assure you that I don't know what you're talking about."

"See! That's exactly what I'm talking about! You don't even fucking know what I'm talking about. Didn't listen to me yesterday. Or, you did and decided to act as if you hadn't."

Completely baffled now, Fraser asked, "Ray, please, tell me what you're talking about."

"You wanna know? Well, okay! I'm gonna tell you. I'm talking about what I told you. I'm talking about what Maggie told you! She told you to tell me that you had to refuse, Fraser. That you had to refuse me! My stupid declaration of love like you're some romance novel hero and I'm the useless piece of crap trying to trap you into marriage or something!"

"Ray."

"No, Fraser. Get the hell outta here," Ray commanded, grabbing Fraser by the shoulders and pushing him backward.

"Ray!"

"Fuck you!"

"RAY!" Fraser exclaimed, grabbing Ray by the shoulders and shaking him a little.

Wild eyed, Ray demanded, "What?"

"Maggie wasn't talking about you. She was talking about the Superintendent."

Ray went stiff in Fraser's grip. "What the hell are you talking about?"

"The Superintendent offered me a promotion while we were in Canada."

"And you accepted, of course. I knew it! You're gonna leave me."

"Ray, please."

Ray wasn't angry anymore, he felt battered, tired, hurt and slumped into Fraser's arms. If he was going to be dumped, at least he could get a final hug out of the entire disaster. Barely whispering, he asked, "What?"

Gently, Fraser wrapped his arms around the slender man and replied, "I told him no, Ray, that I refused the promotion."

"Why?" asked Ray, staring at his bare feet.

"Because I had to stay in Canada to be promoted."

"What's wrong with that? You love Canada. You don't have anything here to tie you to Chicago."

"No, you're wrong. I have everything here. Everything I've always wanted and loved is here in Chicago."

"What do you mean?" asked Ray, still staring at his bare feet.

"You. I have you, Ray."

Ray's head snapped up, his eyes filling with relieved tears. It was a stupid romance novel and he was acting like a ditzy heroine. "But you ... you didn't ... you didn't say anything."

"I haven't had the chance to talk to you, Ray," said Fraser, cupping his partner's face with his hand.

Ray gaped at Fraser and finally said, "I love you, Fraser."

"And I you, Ray. I've always loved you."

Before Ray could say anything else, Fraser bent his head and pressed his lips to Ray's. Ray felt as if he was going to explode and tears ran free down his cheeks. After everything, he was just so god damned relieved that Fraser wasn't going to leave him. And from the way Fraser was holding on to him, it didn't seem like that would happen any time soon. Thank God.

Ray closed his eyes and tentatively slipped his arms around his partner. Fraser's hot, soft lips moved slowly over his, as if made to match. Ray sighed deeply and opened his mouth to welcome Fraser. A wet and strong tongue slipped between his lips and it touched his, Ray held on tighter, feeling his knees buckle a little. He moved his tongue in synchronization with Fraser's, caressing and sucking on his partner's tongue, pulling it into his mouth and sucking on it as if his life depended on it.

Matter of fact he was pretty sure that it did.

Fraser growled deep in his throat, pulling Ray closer to him. His cock hardened and Fraser could feel the same hot, hard length pressing against him through Ray's sweatpants. He deepened the kiss and drew Ray's tongue back into his mouth. When the kiss finally ended, they stayed in each other's arms. Fraser rested his forehead against Ray's and closed his eyes. Waiting a few seconds to catch their breath, Fraser lifted his head and looked into Ray's eyes.

"I, uh, I'm going to go to the Consulate for the night."

Ray wanted to tell Fraser to stay, but he knew that Fraser would refuse. Which was just as well because he knew that they needed time to think about the new turn of their relationship. "Okay. I, uh, I guess I'll see you tomorrow."

"Yes."

"See you tomorrow, then?"

"Yes," repeated Fraser, caressing Ray's jaw with his thumb.

"Bye, then."

Fraser bent and brushed his lips against Ray's. "Bye."

And Fraser left Ray's apartment smiling, feeling happier than he had ever felt before.

THE END!


End DSSVS#502: Back To Where We Started - Test by Test - Orphan_Account: sylvia_chiaramonte@hotmail.com

Author and story notes above.