Dueling Definitions

by Hel Virago

Disclaimer: Nothing here is mine. It's found art.

Author's Notes: ds_flashfiction, the San Francisco treat!

Story Notes: My second entry for the "Documentation" challenge.
Ray has *Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary* Tenth Edition, 1994. Fraser uses *The Compact Edition of the Oxford
English Dictionary,* 1971.


Dear Constable Fraser:

(3)
FREAK
vi 3 b to react with extreme or irrational distress or discomposure -- often used with out

-Raymond Kowalski


Detective Kowalski,

DUTY
4. Action, or an act, that is due in the way of moral or legal obligation; that which one ought or is bound to do; an obligation c 1489 Caxton Sonnes of Aymon xiv, 324 Yet have I lever to serve you, as mi dute is for to doo.

Sincerely, Benton Fraser


Fraser-

DUTY
5 a: WORK
syn see FUNCTION, TASK -- off duty

-R.Kowalski


Ray,

DUTY
4 b. Absolutely: moral obligation; the binding force of what is morally right. 1579 Lyly Euphues (Arb.) 195 Where duetie can haue no shewe, honestie can beare no sway.

-Benton Fraser


Frase

RED HERRING
n (15c) 2 [fr. the practice of drawing a red herring across a trail to confuse hunting dogs] : something that distracts attention from the real issue.

-Ray


Ray

HOME
7. The seat, centre, or native habitat; the place or region where a thing is native, indigenous, or most common.

-Benton Fraser


Frase:

HOME
n [ME *hom,* fr. OE ham village, home; akin to OHG heim home] (bef. 12c) 1 a: one's place of residence : DOMICILE b: HOUSE 2: the social unit formed by a family living together

-Ray


Ray,

FAMILY
3 The group of persons consisting of the parents and their children, whether actually living together or not; in wider sense, the unity formed by those who are nearly connected by blood or affinity. 1829 JAS. MILL Hum. Mind (1869) II. xxii 218 The group which consists of a Father, Mother and Children, is called a Family.

-Benton Fraser


Frase:

AFFINITY
2 b (1): an attraction to or liking for something (people with an ~ to darkness --Mark Twain) (pork and fennel have a natural ~ for each other -- Abby Mandel) (2): an attractive force between substances or particles that causes them to enter into or remain in chemical combination.

DUO
n, pl [It., fr. L, two -- more at TWO] (1590) 1: DUET 2: PAIR 2

EMIGRANT
adj (1794): departing or having departed from a country to settle elsewhere. -Ray


Ray,

INVITATION
1.The action of inviting or requesting to come, attend, or take part in something b. The spoken or written form in which a person is invited. 1864 J. WALKER Faithf. Ministry 200 The feast is waiting: the invitations are out.

2. fig. The presenting of attractions or inducements to come or advance; an instance of this; attraction; inducement 1673 TEMPLE Obs. Unit. Prov. Wks 1731 I. 62 The two first Invitations of People into this Country, were the Strength of their Towns, and Nature of their Government.

Sincerely,
Benton Fraser


Fraser,

ENCLOSE
2: to include along with something else in a parcel or envelope

My flight times. See you soon.
-Ray


End Dueling Definitions by Hel Virago: lorelei_fic@hotmail.com

Author and story notes above.