Author's disclaimer: Although the story is mine, it is a work of fiction based on the character of Due South. All Characters portrayed here belong to Alliance. Please do not print/copy/download or send any part of this story to anyone else, other than for your personal enjoyment. Thank you.

By Amethyst
 

GHOST? WHAT GHOST?


        Welsh tossed Ray the file, the moment the blond detective entered, and settled back at his desk, while Fraser closed the door politely.
         "We got a priority case, gentlemen." The lieutenant informed. "I want all your attention and focus on this detective and I want results yesterday, you got me?" Ray glanced over the file and looked up at his superior with a smirk.
         "Yer kiddin' right?" he asked and Welsh shook his head.
         "I never kid about police work, detective." He returned calmly and Ray scowled.
         "But dis ain't a real case. Sir." Ray protested. "A pageant? We gotta stake out a stupid pageant?"
         "Not just any pageant, Ray." Welsh implied. "This is the Nationals for the ballroom and freestyle dance pageant, being held in our fair city this year, it's an honor to be doing so." He grimaced after his spiel. "Or at least that's what the yuck yuck's upstairs say."
         "Sir!" Ray exclaimed frustrated. "I got three homicides. Two thefts and a possible arsonist in my case load, an dat's just fer starters! I ain't got time for dis crap, give it ta da duck boys, dey don't do anythin' anyway."
         "It's yours detective." Welsh decided his eyes narrowing in a way that told Ray no further argument would be tolerated and Kowalski swallowed the retort that rose to his lips and gritted his teeth.
         "Yes, Sir." He muttered reluctantly. Welsh leaned back in his chair satisfied and smiled slightly. Ray dropped on Welsh's sofa and continued to read over the case.
        "Complaints of suspicious accidents, falling sand bags, faulty electrical equipment, and...." he raised an eyebrow "Strange voices in the night?" He glanced questionably at Welsh. "Sir?"
         "Well, the contestants are staying at the old Maridon hotel," Remarked Welsh wryly. "Apparently some of the contestants seem to think the hotel is haunted." Ray groaned, great just great, add another stupid problem to the pile.
         "Yah, well, why don't we just say it is haunted and they can move to another hotel?" Fraser stepped in.
         "If I may, Sir?" he requested of Welsh, who nodded, then turned to Ray. "The Maridon has quite a history to it, Ray. It holds the largest traditional ballroom in the city and they do have the best stage room around. I am sure the sponsors felt it would be an ideal place for the competition and truly doubt they would wish to change their location."
         "Quite correct, Constable." Welsh agreed. "Besides we already tried to get them to move and they refused. The sponsors are convinced someone is trying to sabotage the pageant, and so we must send in our guys to figure things out for them." He glanced at his desk blotter. "Mr. J.J. Harris wants a full investigation of the hotel; he's the owner."
         "Great." Sighed Ray flipping the file shut and rising. "I guess we can go ask some questions, bang some heads..."
         "Actually detective..." Welsh interceded "Those of us who have read the file contend that the best angle for investigation would be going undercover as one of the contestants." Ray looked over at him.
         "Who we gonna get ta do dat?" he asked. Welsh smiled and Ray's eyes narrowed as they both turned to look at him. "What?" They continued to stare and he shook his head. "Oh no! Not me I can't do dat!"
         "You have worked undercover before, Detective." Welsh reminded brazenly.
         "You're a remarkably good dancer, Ray." Fraser insisted logically.
         "How would you know?" Rat griped.
         "Your landlady seems to think so," replied Fraser calmly. "And I did see you dancing with Stella on at least one occasion and you were both very good."
         "Yah but..." Ray exclaimed. "I...dat's different! Deese people are professionals. I can't dance dat way, not in front of other people, Fraser."
         "You'll be fine, detective." Welsh stated. "Besides, you'll only have to dance for the initial entry for the judges, after that, you can investigate under the guise of a contestant."
         "Who da hell am I gonna get to be my partner?" Ray accused. "It's gotta be someone who knows some dancin' and I don't think any of the women here at da squad do."
         "No." agreed Welsh reluctantly. "I already checked with our female officers and none of them have the ability for this assignment."
         "Ah, dere it is, Sir." He countered pouncing on the opportunity. " Unless we dress Fraser in drag and even den he's got the rhythm of a stick..."
         "Thank you kindly, Ray." Fraser rebuffed.
         "Welcome." Ray returned without missing a beat. "I can't dance by myself, Sir, and the only other person I can really dance dat way wit anyway is my wife...my ex-wife," he amended reluctantly. "An' I know she ain't gonna go fer bein' my partner in dis so I can't..."
         "We'll just have to ask her then, won't we detective?" Welsh remarked rising as Stella Kowalski knocked and entered the office.
         Ray looked from one to the other, furious and embarrassed at the same time. Stella would never go for it. Sure enough when Welsh suggested the plan she turned him down immediately, almost too quickly for Ray's liking. After all, it wouldn't be that bad to dance with him again would it?
         "I told ya she wouldn't do it." He just had to point out to Welsh, causing Stella's eyes to narrow on him slowly.
         "You think you know me so well, do you Ray?' she huffed angrily and he quickly shook his head. Back up! Why was she mad at him? What'd he do now, he was just agreeing with her decision? Stella turned back to Welsh.
         "I'll do it." She countered and Ray stared at her eyes wide.
         "No!"
         "Wonderful." Welsh and Ray spoke together then glared at each other. Ray turned his gaze to his ex-wife.
         "Stella, dis could be dangerous. I don't want ya ta..."
         "You stopped ruling my life a long time ago, Ray..." she declared.
         "I...I'm not tryin' ta rule over ya Stella I just..."
         "Don't you think I can handle one lousy assignment, Ray?"
         "No, I...I mean sure...but...Stella ya ain't a cop it's..."
         "I deal with criminals every day, Ray." She stated firmly. "I can take care of myself."
         "Aw jeez, Stell, I never meant...I just don't..." Fraser felt sorry for his friend and quickly stepped in.
         "I believe Ray is merely concerned for your safety Ms. Kowalski." He offered kindly. "He is giving you the option of saying no so that you do not feel obligated to help."
         "She's never felt obligated ta me, Fraser." Ray muttered folding his arms in front of him belligerently but grateful for his partner's interference.
         Stella glared at him and he felt lower than dirt, how did she do that? Fraser watched his friend flinch under the attorney's gaze and felt the urge to strike a woman for the first time ever, but he restrained himself. Perhaps this was not such a good idea after all. He had only thought that with Ray's skills he would make a good undercover contestant.
         "Just tell me when we start and I will clear my schedule." She commented to Welsh, ignoring Ray completely.
         "Well, Constable Fraser will have to go in as well..." Welsh began and Ray and Fraser both shook his head.
         "I cannot dance, Sir..." Fraser said, although he had read the appropriate books and knew enough from his grandmother to get by on the Consulate functions, he could not be considered a professional.
         "He moves like a..." Was Ray's immediate response and Welsh held up his hand and silenced them both.
         "You have until tomorrow evening to learn, then Constable." The lieutenant stated. "Find someone to be your partner and the detective here can give you lessons."
         "If I gotta teach him I'm gonna need Stella there." Ray commented and again received a blinding glare from his ex-wife, as Francesca Vecchio entered the office with a file for Welsh.
         "Then we will need a partner for Constable Fraser as well." She insisted glancing at the Italian woman beside her. "Perhaps..." Suddenly all three men cried out in protest.
         "No!"
         "No way!"
         "I don't think..." Francesca stared at them startled.
         "What's the deal?" she asked confused and Stella explained it to her. A secret smile stretched over the Italian woman's lips. "Ya mean I get ta dance with Fraser? For real?" She stared at the Mountie with unconstrained hunger and he pulled at his collar and cracked his neck as Ray stepped forward.
         "Er...ya can't ya ain't a cop and...."
         "Neither am I, Ray." Stella pointed out quickly.
         "B..but she..."
         "Miss. Vecchio isn't trained..." Welsh offered and Stella glared at them determined.
         "If she can dance she's trained I say." She smiled at Francesca. "Will you do it?"
         "And Fraser will be my very own partner?" she commented linking her arms through the very nervous Canadian. Ray pulled her away from his partner.
         "No." he refused. "Ya'd have ta dance wit me...um...Stella is Fraser's partner."
         "Don't be stupid, Ray." Stella spat. "The whole point of this is for you feel comfortable dancing and you can only dance well enough for that with me." Ray's eyes narrowed on her.
         "I can dance well wit anybody, Stella." He defied stubbornly.
         "You are such a bad liar, Ray." Stella laughed dryly. "You need me, admit it." Ray released Francesca's arm and lowered his eyes just before Fraser caught the look of sadness in them.
         "I never said I didn't need ya Stell." He admitted quietly. "Just not fer dis." Stella's smile disappeared and she turned to face Welsh.
         "How shall we do this, then, Lieutenant?" Welsh glanced at his detective, wittnessed the way Ray walked over and slumped back on the sofa dejectedly, and the way Fraser and Francesca watched him concerned. He shook his head, he'd apologize to Kowalski later, right now he had a job to do.
 

 
         "Loosen up Fraser!" Ray exclaimed frustrated as the Mountie practiced the required steps with Francesca in the Consulate's ballroom.
          Inspector Thatcher had given them permission to use it for the evening since there were no functions scheduled, although she had seemed somewhat bothered that her Constable needed Francesca Vecchio to help his cover at the hotel. Welsh however had apparently reassured her and she allowed Fraser to proceed with the assignment, issuing orders that the ballroom had better be spotless when she returned the following morning.  Fraser was performing the individual movements well enough but he was holding himself entirely too rigid; there was no fluidity to the dancing and that would definitely be picked up by the judges and other contestants.
         "I am trying, Ray." Fraser insisted in a very un-Mountie like sigh and Ray rolled his eyes.
         "Why don't you ladies take five and maybe order us a pizza or something" Ray suggested suddenly. "I gotta talk wit Fraser." The women nodded and left without argument.
         "I do not believe I can do this, Ray." Fraser commented dejectedly as he stood with his head bowed and his hands clasped behind him.
         Even in his jeans and flannel shirt he still stood at attention and looked like a constable. He simply didn't have the style and grace Ray had, he felt to big and clumsy for such passionate dancing. It hurt to admit he was less then satisfactory in anything, especially when it involved a case, but he didn't want to appear untrained and result in blowing their cover at the hotel.
         "Ya gotta relax, Frase." Ray insisted moving to start the tape again, then surprising the Mountie by stepping up and pulling him into his arms. "Com'ahn, move wit me." Fraser blushed and stumbled on the first step, immediately pulling his hand from Ray's and stepping back.
         "Ray I...I cannot dance. I am sorry." He muttered and Ray frowned.
         "Ya gotta at least try." Ray decided moving toward him again, watching the Mountie step back once more. "What is yer problem? Yer too tense dancin' wit Frannie, even I can see dat, and no way Stella'll have patience enough ta try wit ya, so dance wit me to learn da movements."
         Fraser blushed even redder and bowed his head chagrined. He was being silly, he knew that, but he couldn't help himself. As often as Ray had hugged him or they ended up in each other's arms or close enough to be touching during their pursuit of justice, he could not dance with the blond. It was too intimate for Fraser to handle just now and he could not explain why.
         "I...I...Ray I..." he stammered and watched his partner scowl impatiently.
         "For Christ's sake, Fraser!" he exclaimed. "What is wrong wit you? Yer high moral standards can't deal wit dancin' wit a guy or what?" Fraser bit his lip and averted his eyes. ""Ain't like we've never shared some intimate moments dere, buddy." Fraser glanced up at him almost shyly. "We've been shot at, run over, caught fire, even shared air wit dat 'Buddy Breathin' thing. You told me I was attractive and I told ya you were unhinged, all real personal stuff." Ray was trying to make him smile and he felt his lips twitch. "This is no different, now com'ahn." Still the Mountie hesitated. "I'm not gonna make a pass at ya Fraser, we're just gonna dance, now com'ahn. We don't have time for dis nonsense."
         Fraser paused a long moment, then steeled himself and nodded. Ray was right they had to give credence to their cover and that meant he had to learn to dance better. Besides, there was no one closer to him then the detective standing before him, no one else that had ever managed to get through his barriers as easily as Ray had, so he had to at least try.
         "All right, Ray." He agreed, schooling his features as Ray started the music once more, and they resumed the proper position.
         "Now, listen to da beat, Fraser." Ray reminded as they held until the proper count then started to move. "I'll lead. Relax." Fraser cracked his neck and nodded. They began to dance slowly in precision. "Close yer eyes, Frase." Ray whispered softly so close to his ear that the Mountie automatically tensed again. "Relax. Think of snow or somethin'. A soft driftin' wave of snow along a sky da color of summer fire."
         Fraser allowed his eyes to close and listened to his partner's voice, Ray's soothing words and the steady strum of the music finally seeping into the pores of his body and brain and settling over him in a blanket of gentle rhythm. Ray truly was a poet inside as the detective had once told him.
          He felt one of his hands being guided to Ray's hip, as the detective placed his own hand on Fraser's hip, gently encouraging him to sway with the music as they moved, removing the restrictive Tin Man motions Fraser performing. He stopped counting the steps as he had been doing and just moved with Ray around the room, but he was no longer in the room, he was where ever Ray's voice told him to think about.
         The music ended and Ray went to set the CD to play once more, then stepped back into Fraser's arms, instructing the Mountie to lead this dance. Fraser could hear the beat of Ray's heart matching the rhythm of the music, as he softly hummed along with the tune.  The rhythm of their breathing echoed around them, the subtle sounds their boots made on the polished floor and suddenly he was dancing, really dancing, feeling it, living it and loving it. He finally understood why Ray loved to dance so much, he now knew how precious this feeling of freedom was and he would be forever grateful to Ray to giving it to him.
         "Just like dat, Fraser." Ray urged with a grin as he stepped away from the Mountie and Fraser realized the music had ended once more. "Dat was much better buddy." Fraser opened his eyes, slightly disoriented at the sudden halt in movement and stared at his partner, noticing Ray's normally pale face was flushed but happy with Fraser's performance. "See, I told'ja ya could do it."
         Fraser tried to smile, but the sudden hammering of his heart made any movement difficult. He wanted to ask Ray if they could try again, practice more so he could regain that wonderful feeling, but Francesca and Stella entered the room at that very moment and he tried to politely focus his attention on them. Stella smiled sweetly at her husband and handed him a soda, which he accepted gratefully, and for the briefest instant Fraser felt a pang of jealousy at the secret look they shared with each other.
         "Made any progress?" she asked him as Francesca offered Fraser a soda as well.
         "Fraser's doin' lot's better." Ray admitted giving the Mountie one of his special winks. "Ain't ya buddy?"
         "If you say so, Ray." Fraser allowed quietly.
         "Good," Stella remarked. "Then let's finish up before the pizza gets here, I'm starving!" Ray nodded and set his soda down, taking Stella's hand.
         "Now watch us for a minute, Frase." He instructed as he selected a different piece of music. "You too Frannie, watch and see if you can copy what we're doin'." Ray whispered something to Stella, perhaps informing her of what he had in mind, then they proceeded to dance.
         Francesca and Fraser watched riveted as the couple performed the graceful movements, each seemed to be an extension of the other's body. Fraser politely took Francesca in his arms and glanced once more at his partner before beginning his dance with Francesca.
         He remembered what Ray had said about allowing himself to feel the music around them and he managed to execute many of the moves that Ray and Stella performed with fluid precision. However, he found dancing with Francesca, her warm, incredibly feminine body pressed intimately against him, was almost more then he could handle.
         His temperature rose several degrees above normal and he was positive that he was starting to tremble with the effort to maintain a respectable distance between them. However, the type of dancing they were doing didn't allow for very much room between their swaying bodies and it was becoming increasingly difficult to concentrate on the dance steps. The song ended and Ray went to play it again, but Fraser suddenly released Francesca and stepped back.
         "I believe we have had enough practice for the moment." He remarked quickly, receiving a startled glance from all of them, as the door buzzer sounded. "Oh, look, there is someone at the door. Excuse me I believe I will go er... and answer the ah...the door." "Sure, Frase."
        Francesca agreed easily as she made to hook her arm through his only mildly surprised when he neatly avoided her touch and headed out of the room. Ray and Stella exchanged a glance then shrugged and followed his partner toward the front entrance to pay for the pizza he could already smell from the hall way.
 

         Both couples arrived at the hotel just in time for the final entries wearing the costumes they had rented especially for the dance and they turned heads of all that saw them. Fraser and Ray wore snug fitting tailored black slacks with Ray in a blue shirt and sash and Fraser in a white. Francesca wore a floor length black sheath that sparkled when she moved. Stella had donned a blue and silver Latin costume that exposed her midriff with a shredded layered skirt that exposed her long shapely legs when she moved.
         Ray and Stella took center stage and a moment later the music started over the loud speaker and they began to mambo. Fraser had never seen a more perfect couple as his partner twisted and turned his wife though she weighed no more than a feather. They moved in perfect tandem, their feet matching the rhythm of the other's body as they twirled around the dance floor. Fraser noticed the other contestants watching almost enviously as the pair skirted back and forth, their eyes locked in a steady passionate gaze through out the dance. Stella responded to Ray's touch automatically, knowing when to raise her hand to his, knowing when to swing out and back and just how to match his bopping steps perfectly to the fast paced music.
         "My God!' Francesca whispered beside him. "They're fantastic! I never knew Ray was so good!" Fraser nodded, for neither had he.
          He knew his partner could dance, but not like this. It was mesmerizing to watch and he was drawn to the rippling muscles that showed through the thin sheer silk of Ray's shirt. He had no doubt that the two were working hard, he could see beads of perspiration on Ray's brow, but they moved smoothly as though through water or sliding across ice, with a perfect precision. Stella was twisted and snapped so sharply against her husband in some of the movements that Francesca released a painful gasp, but Fraser was sure the fierce dance steps did not injure the woman.
         Finally it was Francesca and Fraser's turn and they did a traditional foxtrot, which turned out much smoother than the Mountie had anticipated, once they actually started dancing. The judges gave them the nod that they would be in the finals and they took their leave to allow the other couples to continue. They headed up to their rooms a few moments later to change and get settled each congratulating the other on their dance.
         "Fraser and me will share one room and you and Stella will take da other one." Ray informed Francesca as they stopped beside their registered hotel rooms.
         "Why can't Fraser stay with me?" Francesca demanded petulantly. "We're supposed ta be a couple."
         "Yer supposed ta be a dance couple, no one said ya had ta be romantically involved." Ray reminded as he tossed her the key to the other room across the hall.     "Ya got a choice, Frannie, Stella or me."
         "Why you?" she demanded surprised as Fraser unlocked their door.
         "I'm yer brother." Ray grinned and Francesca made a face at him. "Can't have ya sleepin' in a room wit a man not yer brother, Ma'd kill us both."
         "Yer not really my brother, Ray." She hissed in his ear.
         "Thank God fer small favors." He whispered back, then aloud he commented. "Go get unpacked, Sis-and behave yerself." Francesca glared at him then huffed across the narrow hall to join Stella, who had already gone inside their room. Fraser offered Ray a grateful glance as they stepped into their own room.
         "I appreciate that, Ray." He allowed as they placed their small suitcases by the large king sized bed that took up most of the center of the room.
         "Ya don't really think I'd give her that much opportunity ta get ya in da sack, do ya Frase?" Ray chuckled and watched the Mountie blush, as he pulled out a pair of dark jeans and short sleeve dress shirt. "Besides, I am doin' it fer other reason's too, I meant what I said about Ma killin' me if she found out." Fraser smiled.
         "Will you be alright for this, Ray?" he asked quietly he took Ray's dance clothes and them hung up in the small closet.
         "I can probably fake it long enough ta give us time ta find out what's goin' on Fraser." He replied and Fraser shook his head.
         "I meant concerning Stella, Ray."  The Mountie explained. "The two of you have hardly spoken since we received this assignment, although you both danced wonderfully together. " Ray gave him a shy, twisted grin.
         "We hardly spoke before it either, Buddy." He commented wryly as he headed for the shower.  "I'll be fine, you just worry about that octopus next door who's hot fer ya."
         "Ray!" Fraser blushed. "You're comments are not helping matters." Ray just laughed and headed inside the bathroom.
         About fifteen minutes later he returned so Fraser could have a turn, though he doubted the Mountie needed it, since he never seemed to sweat. But Fraser took his turn and was just buttoning his blue flannel shirt and tucking it into his jeans when there was a knock on their door.  Ray waited until the Mountie was completely composed, sending him an 'Are you ready' grin and opened the door admitting the two women, who had freshened up and now wanted to go down to the dining room for dinner.
         "You three go ahead." Ray suggested. "I'm gonna do some pokin' around." Stella gave him a long look, softer then what he was used to from her. Perhaps she was still feeling the magic of their dance together.
         "Let's eat first, Ray." She suggested. "We'll have plenty of time to look around later."
         "I'm not here to party, Stella." He informed. "I got a job ta do." Stella's gaze hardened and she turned on her heel.
         "Fine, do what ever you want-I am going to get something to eat." She stormed out and Francesca shook her head after the woman, then turned to Fraser.
         "Coming Benton?" she asked quietly and Fraser nodded.
         "I'll be right there, Francesca." He assured and sensing the two men were about to have words, Francesca discreetly left. Fraser turned to Ray who had started to bang his head against the wall, soon after Stella had left.
         "Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!" he muttered. Why couldn't he learn? What was it about him that caused him to be such a screw up? How many times did Stella have to reject him before he took the hint? Why couldn't he handle things without getting emotionally involved? Damn he was having a bad week.
        He paused as he realized that his head no longer hurt and opened his eyes to find that Fraser had placed a throw pillow between his head and the wall. Well, that was no good, it had no effect at all that way, so he stepped away from the wall and watched Fraser catch the pillow before it hit the floor.
        "Why'd ya do dat Frase?" he sighed.
        "I was merely trying to keep you from hurting yourself, Ray." Fraser remarked curiously and Ray growled and turned away, storming over to drop on to the beds.
        "Ya ruin da whole thing dat way, Fraser." Ray protested and Fraser raised an eyebrow as he returned the pillow to the chair in the corner.
        "You prefer to hurt yourself, Ray?" he asked surprised and Ray shook his head.
        "Dat ain't da point." He turned to glance at the Mountie. "Haven't ya ever heard the phrase "'Why are ya doin' dat- 'cause it feels so good when I stop."
        "That's just silly Ray." remarked Fraser wisely. "If something hurts you you shouldn't do it."
        "It's a form of ventin' Frase." Ray explained and watched Fraser shake his head and set his lips determinedly that told Ray a lecture was coming.
        "Your forms of venting always seems to end up hurting you, Ray." he commented reprovingly.
        "Not always." Ray protested, though he couldn't deny that some did. "It's just da way I am, Frase. I'm a physical kinda guy."
        "Why not take up a sport then?" Fraser suggested appropriately. "Perhaps Hockey or boxing, you like boxing."
        "I do go to da gym on occasion, Fraser." Ray informed. "Just not always and I ain't got time fer sports."
        "What about meditation, Ray?" Fraser offered kindly. "It's a wonderful form of relaxation and..."
        "Fraser!" Ray exclaimed, then took a few breaths to calm down, it wasn't the Canadian's fault he was so wound up. In a more sedate voice he continued. "Fraser, buddy...if I wanna relax, I relax, if I wanna be mad, I get mad...it's da way I am."
        "Why are you mad, Ray?" Fraser inquired and Ray pressed the heels of palms to his throbbing forehead, biting back the angry retort that rose to his lips-Because a certain Mountie was asking too many questions.
         He was having repercussions from dancing with Stella, that was all. Having her in his arms that way, dancing with her, being with her, just made him miss what they once had that much more, he couldn't settle the ache in his heart and it just ended up making him grumpy.
        "I just am."  He tried for.
        "But why, Ray?" pressed Fraser. "There must be a reason. Perhaps if you discussed it you would..."
        "I don't wanna discuss nothin' Fraser!" Ray screamed bolting from the bed and retrieving a soda from the small complimentary fridge. Fraser watched him quietly, the energy almost seemed to cackle around the detective and Fraser wondered how a human body could contain such a frenetic explosion that Ray Kowalski seemed to house.
         "It might make you feel better, Ray." Fraser opted but Ray shook his head.
         "I suck, Fraser."
         "No, Ray you do not."
         "Yes, I do." Ray insisted then left the half-empty soda on the table grabbed their door key and shrugged into his sports coat. "Yer gonna drive me nuts regardless of what I say or do, so may as well do it on a full stomach." Fraser followed him out, closing the door behind them and hiding the smile he'd been struggling with.
 

         They found the ladies holding a table for them in the large dining room, which was already starting to collect a small crowd of the other dancers and visitors.
         "So glad you could join us." Stella sneered, making a show of ignoring Ray by hiding behind the elaborate menu.
         Ray sighed and picked up his own menu-why did he bother? They each ordered individual meals and drinks, nothing alcoholic  for the men because they were after all on a case and besides, Fraser didn't drink, but the ladies had a glass of wine each with their dinner. Eventually a band started playing a soft waltz and Ray rose from his chair and extended his hand to Stella.
         "Dance with me, pretty lady?" he requested and at first Fraser though she was going to refuse, but Ray flashed her his best, apologetic smile and she placed her hand in his. They moved out onto the dance floor and swayed in matching motion.      "You gonna be mad at me da whole time we're here?" he asked and she hid her smile against his shoulder.
         "Maybe." She decided defiantly.
         "Awful waste of energy." Ray commented as he moved his body against hers in a familiar rhythm they both enjoyed and recognized.
         "Maybe if you wouldn't try so hard to tick me off all the time I wouldn't stay mad at you." She remarked dryly and Ray grinned.
         "I don't try, Stella, it's a gift." He stated and she smiled a little more, again hiding it from him, but he knew it was there. She wound her arm tighter around his neck and squeezed their joined hands slightly, moving closer to him. This is where you belong, Ray thought silently, where we both belong Stella, why can't you see that?
         "Are you going to continue to be a jerk?" she asked boldly and he shrugged.
         "Probably." He admitted. "Can't expect miracles after all. You gonna keep bitchin'at me?" She smiled for real this time, and let him see it as she met his gaze.
         "Probably." She agreed and he laughed, as he tightened his grip and spun her around playfully.
          "You know I never know my brain rarely connects with my mouth, sweetheart," he excused quietly. "But you always have to take every thing I say wrong no matter what I do say." She gave him a serious look then.
         "Let's just try and get through this without killing each other or saying something we'll regret, okay?" Ray nodded as the music ended and the paused beside the bandstand. Their faces were so close she was sure he wanted to kiss her and as he leaned closer he heard Fraser's yell.
         He looked up to reprimand the Mountie once again for his rotten timing, only to find the Canadian knocking both him and Stella away from the stage. A sound speaker exploded and shot a fire of sparks toward them, catching on the stage curtain that was closest and spreading a reign of fire upwards. Some of the other women screamed as Ray instinctually covered Stella's body with his own as the sparks continued to fire outward and Fraser ran for a fire extinguisher.
         "Ray!" Stella exclaimed as Fraser returned to douse the flames. "You're on fire!" Ray rolled away from her as he felt the heat creeping up his sports coat, working to get it off of him quickly, and Fraser quickly dispelled the flames with the extinguisher.
         "Are you all right, Ray?' he demanded anxiously as Ray moved away from the sodden coat and rolled onto his feet.
         "I'm good, Fraser." He assured as he helped Stella to her feet and a crowd gathered around him. "Thanks buddy."
         "Certainly, Ray." Fraser returned. "I could smell the heat of something burning but couldn't place where it was until I looked toward you." He glanced politely at Stella. "Are you hurt?'
         "Just a little shaky." She stated pushing her hair back away from her face and shooting a worried glance toward Ray. "What happened?"
         "Speaker exploded." Ray commented as he and Fraser bent to inspect the damage and Francesca ran over.
         "Are you guys okay?" she demanded worried and they all assured her that they were.

 
          "Dis place gives me da creeps, Fraser." Ray commented, as they moved quietly down the dim lit corridors of the old hotel, trying doors to see if they were locked, using Ray's picking skills to get into the ones that were not reserved for the contestants or the hotel crew.
            After the accident in the ballroom, most people had lost their appetite and decided to adjourn for the night, including the ladies, so Fraser and Ray decided to do some snooping of their own. They had stopped to examine the fixtures in the ballroom, looking for signs of tampering as the large hall clock chimed twelve.
          "I find it to be a beautiful architectural masterpiece, Ray." Fraser protested. "The over all decor is very dark and glamorous, befitting the period in which it was built."  Ray grunted.
          "You ever see da Shining?" he asked.
          "Shining what, Ray?" Fraser returned quietly and his friend shook his head as he climbed up on the stage and glanced around, giving close inspection to the wiring. That speaker exploding next to him and Stella was a little too convenient to be termed accidental.
         "No, no....da movie The Shinning," Ray explained.  "Wit...ummm Jack Nicohlson."
         "No, I do not believe I have seen that particular film, Ray" Fraser admitted calmly as he knelt down to look over the electrical socket next to the stage.
         "Do not lick dat, Fraser." Ray warned, half teasing, as he watched the Mountie straighten up mildly offended, then continued to check out the wires on the charred speaker. The wires were too melted to notice if there had been tampering.
         "I wasn't going to, Ray." Fraser informed then moved to inspect the cables next to the socket. Ray smiled and continued their earlier conversation.
         "Well, it's about dis really old hotel and dis family dey go up to spend da winter holiday's dere while it's closed, ya know ta keep an eye on da place sorta." Fraser nodded and listened patiently as they continued to look around. "Well, the hotel's haunted Fraser, like it's alive or somethin' and the man, he gets kinda possessed by deese spirits only his little boy is special and he can see da spirits and knows somethin's wrong."
         "Didn't we recently see a film about a boy who could see spirits, Ray?" Fraser questioned curiously.
         "Yah, da one wit Bruce Willis, but dat's different." The detective decided as he surveyed the sound system and lights carefully. "The Shining came out in da seventies or somewhere around dere. It was really good. Scared da crap outta me when I first saw it."
         "I was under the assumption that you didn't like to be scared, Ray?" Fraser remarked.
         "Nah, I love ta be scared, at movies-just not real life, like what you keep doin' to me Fraser." Fraser turned so Ray wouldn't see him smile.
         "Do I scare you, Ray?" he teased innocently and was startled when something soft hit him in the head. He turned and glanced down at the throw cushion Ray had thrown at him from one of the smaller settees, then looked over at his grinning partner.
         "You endanger my life in wildly bizarre ways entirely too often, Fraser Buddy." He stated. "What do you think?" Fraser bent to pick up the pillow and replace it on the antique chaise.
         "I think that you watch entirely too many horror movies, Ray." He replied calmly. Both men jumped as loud thumping footsteps echoed behind them.
          Ray pulled his gun automatically and turned toward the two solid ivory doors that had led them into the ballroom, Fraser hadn't noticed when they had closed. The thumping came closer and Ray's hand shook only slightly as he waited for the door to open. Both men took up positions on opposite sides of the doors as the person continued to approach.
          The doors shook briefly as though someone was attempting to push them open, then stopped. Fraser and Ray exchanged a glance, then both reached for a handle and pulled the doors wide. All four people screamed for a brief instant of shared fright, then Ray slowly lowered his gun and put a hand to his heart, as Fraser automatically retreated from Francesca's wild, flailing arms.
         "Are ya tryin' ta give us a heart attack!" she exclaimed angrily as the men pulled them inside and quickly closed the doors again.
         "Hush, Frannie-ya'll wake da house." Ray teased, though he was more than a little anxious himself. He glanced at Stella's pale face and round eyes. "Ya okay, Stell?" She nodded, shakily.
         "What are you both doing down here?" Fraser asked., somewhat relieved they at least had the forethought to change into jeans and a sweater before coming downstairs.
         "We...we heard noises in our room." Stella explained, her voice barely above a whisper and Ray realized that she was still fighting the effects of her scare.         "We...we tried your room but you weren't there, so we started to look for you, and...then we thought we heard noises coming from in here." Ray guided her over to one of the chairs and settled her in the seat, crouching beside her concerned.
         "You sure yer okay, baby?" he asked and she offered him a weak smile, taking the hand he offered her gratefully.
         "I...I just need to catch my breath." She told him. "How about you?"
         "I think I pissed myself." He joked and she chuckled.
         "Wouldn't be the first time." She whispered and he shook his head.
         "Sure, kick a guy his down." He muttered, but he really didn't mind her teasing, she always teased him about that, but he knew she considered him a hero for it, despite what he claimed to the contrary.
         "What sort of noises did you hear in your rooms?" Fraser asked as Francesca settled in a chair next to Stella, her own legs rather shaky.
         "Well, we thought it was you guys playin' a joke on us." She informed. "Knockin' at our door and no one there when we opened it, a voice, like whisperin comin' from somewhere in the room."
         Stella shook her head, her eyes locked with Ray's who was still crouched beside her and was holding her hands in his, the pad of his thumbs smoothing over her palms in soothing strokes. There were times when she loved him so much for knowing her so well that she wanted to give into her heart and try to form a relationship with him again, but her pride and anger always got in the way.
         "I knew it couldn't possibly be a prank." She stated glancing at both men. "Fraser, you...well you aren't the type to play such games and Ray..." She gave Ray a gentle look. "Ray knows how easily I get scared, he would never intentionally play a prank like that on me."
         "We heard footsteps comin' toward us, dat's why I had my gun out." Ray explained, moving to put his arm around her but deciding against it and Stella hid her disappointment. "You girls sure walk heavy."
         "We do not!" Francesca declared indignantly and Fraser agreed.
         "Their entire body weight combined couldn't possibly have made the heavy foot falls we heard, Ray." Ray released Stella's hands and rose.
         "But dey were da ones comin' in." he reminded.
         "Indeed, but I do not believe they were responsible for what we heard."
         "Who was den?"
         "Did either of you ladies see anyone outside the ballroom on your way here?" Fraser inquired and both women shook their heads. They hadn't even seen a bellboy or a night maid, the halls had been totally deserted.
         "Dat's strange." Ray remarked. "We didn't see anyone around either, you'd think they'd have someone on night duty for a place this big."
         "I overheard one of the guests saying that the hotel crew doesn't stay around after dinner." Francesca commented. "They all leave right at six and you can't get room service or anything."
         "Why would dey do dat?" Ray asked, but before anyone could answer the ballroom lights flickered and pitched them all into complete darkness. Francesca screamed, and managed to latch on to Fraser, Stella cried out for Ray and Ray called for Fraser.
         "Right here, Ra..ooof!" The Mountie stumbled slightly and caught the detective who had accidentally walked into him.
         "Sorry, Frase." Ray chuckled and backed up. "Got any of dem Mountie matches on ya, buddy?"
         "Of course, Ray." Fraser replied pulling said item out of his jeans pocket. "A Mountie is always prepared." He lit one and Stella immediately took the opportunity to move toward them and grab Ray's arm, she was shaking-Stella didn't care for the dark either. "I believe I saw some candles over there by the band stand, Ray." Ray took a couple of the matches, gently pried Stella's hand off of him, moving it to Francesca's arm, who was still clinging to the Mountie, and moved off to find the candles.
         "There isn't a storm." Francesca whispered, moving closer to Fraser, causing Stella to move closer to her in turn. "Why'd the lights go out?" Fraser was only half listening, as he monitored Ray's progress toward the stage, just as his match went out. They waited for him to light another one to see the rest of the way, but after a few seconds, when he still couldn't see the detective he grew concerned.
         "Ray?" He called out, his voice echoing in the large room. "Ray?" He maneuvered his arm out of Francesca's grip for just a moment, so he could light another match, but could no longer see his friend. "Ray! Where are you?" Suddenly the lights blazed on again and the three blinked in the sudden brilliance; there was no sign of the detective.
         "Ray!" Stella cried out as they started to search the ballroom. "Ray! This isn't funny Ray you'd better come out right now!"
         "Ray!" Fraser called checking the area of the stage for his friend's missing body.
         "I'm here!" a muffled voice came from below them and Fraser glanced around frantically. He could see nothing but solid floor beneath their feet.
         "Keep talking Ray." He called, as he and the two women started to crawl around on the floor. "We'll find you, just keep talking."
         "I'm in here, Fraser." Ray called and Fraser detected a note of panic in the detective's voice, so he suspected wherever Ray was it was small and enclosed, not good for the man who was claustrophobic. "Hello? Fraser! Over here!" Ray's voice was getting clearer as Stella moved closer to the bandstand.
         "Ray! Honey I hear you are you okay?"
         "I'm just great Stella!" Ray bit back, his fear sparking his sarcasm. "Now get me da hell out! It's like a coffin in here!" Fraser joined Stella and hunted for the latch to the trap door that Ray had obviously fallen through. "Oh Christ! Fraser! Somethin's crawlin on me let me out!"
         "Stay calm, Ray," Fraser issued firmly.  "I'll have you out in a minute."
         "Calm." Ray repeated. "Okay, I can do calm...calm is good calm is...Fraser! It's movin' Fraser! Dere's somethin in here an' I don't think it's friendly." He heard a pounding under him then suddenly the floor opened up and he fell down atop his partner. Stella just barely caught the door from closing again and peered down at the two men.
         "Sorry, Ray." Fraser offered his friend, in the tight space. Ray resisted the urge to hug him, relief flooding him as light beamed down from above.
         "Are you okay?" Stella called down to them. Both men informed her they were, then Fraser offered to boost Ray on his shoulders, but just as they were about to the wall next to them opened up and Fraser paused to look.
         "We should see where it leads Ray." He suggested but Ray shook his head.
         "We should get da hell out, Fraser."
         "But Ray, it may give us a clue on what is going on with the hotel."  Fraser reasoned. "And we are here to investigate any strange going on's." Ray glared at him.
         "Fraser, just being your partner should be considered a case fer the X Files." He stated as Francesca hurried over with one of the larger candelabra's.
         "Where you go I go, Fraser." She insisted decisively and Ray sighed and reached up for her to toss the candlestick down.
         "Get another one, den, Frannie and com'on." He ordered and Francesca ran back to get a second candelabra, as Fraser lit them.
         "Just watch yer hand's Bro." She reminded pointedly as she leveled herself down and Ray caught her around the waist. Ray lowered her until her head cleared the opening then made to toss her at the Mountie.
         "Here Frase' catch." Francesca squealed and gripped him tighter as he laughed and lowered her to her feet, fully prepared for the smack she delivered on his chest once she was on firm ground. "Dat's gratitude fer ya." She glared at him and moved closer to Fraser, who was lighting the candles, as Ray reached up for Stella. Fraser noticed that although Ray was just as gentle lowering his ex-wife as he had been with Francesca, the detective seemed to draw Stella closer as he set her on her feet.
         "Would you like me to go first, Ray?" Fraser suggested, as Ray reluctantly released Stella and moved forward.
         "I'm the armed one, remember?" he taunted as Fraser gave one of the candelabra's to Stella, so she could move to light Ray's path, then he put Francesca ahead of him and took up the back to protect the women from any surprises. "Just be careful dere was somethin' crawlin' around down here."
         Francesca and Stella both shivered, then followed single file down the narrow passageway, the candlelight flickered off the walls eerily, casting their shadows far ahead of them and making the shadows seem almost monstrous.
         "Do you think someone is deliberately behind the accident's and apparent hauntings Ray?" Fraser asked quietly, yet his voice sounded terribly loud around them.
         "Dat would be the logical thing yes." Ray teased, but never took his eyes off the path in front of him, his gun drawn just in case, but held at his side as they walked along. The corridor twisted and turned so much, that you couldn't tell what was around the corner in front of you, which only served to make Ray more anxious.
         "Where do you think this leads?" Stella asked, behind him.
         "Oh!" Frannie exclaimed in an excited whisper. "Maybe this is one of those secret passageways, like in those old houses. Y'know that the owner put in to spy on his family and because he found out things like, his wife was sleeping with the butler or his daughter was running away to marry her second cousin he dragged them all through here, killed them and hid the bodies." The other three stopped to stare at her and she held up her hands. "What? It could happen."
         "Next time, yer stayin' home." Ray decided as they continued, finding neither door nor opening just more solid passageway. "Dis could go on forever."
         Ray felt a strong, piercing grip on his shoulder and turned back to ask Stella what the problem was, then saw the large goulish shadow on the far wall, approaching them from the other side. He put a hand over hers to steady the candelabra, which was shaking terribly, to ease the cast of shadow. He drew his gun up and the four held their breath as the thing got closer, it's shadow growing more by the moment and Ray was starting to sweat.
          This was not good. This. Was. Not. Good. He aimed his gun and prepared himself as it started around the corner. No one breathed. No one spoke.  Then suddenly with a warning cry, Ray jumped around the corner and only Ray's reflexes kept him from firing as he glimpsed what it was; Frannie and Stella screamed, then rushed to pick up the frightened tabby cat from the floor.
         "Ohh!" Francesca soothed as she cradled the animal in her arms. "Ray, you scared him."
         Ray glared at her and leaned against the wall, his heart was in his throat as he lowered his weapon with a shaky hand. Fraser chuckled, more out of relief then amusement, for he had been rather anxious himself when the animal flew at Ray, though whether it was the cat or Ray's battle cry that had startled him, he didn't know. His partner looked like he was either going to pass out or shoot his pretend sister.
         "This is bullshit, Fraser." He breathed finally. "Dere's nothin' down here." He indicated the cat. "He was probably what was crawlin' on me earlier." At least Ray hoped it had just been the animal and not something worse.
         "Such a sweet puddy cat." Francesca cooed as Ray straightened from the wall.
         "Yah, taste's like, chicken," he commented and Stella giggled at Francesca's aghast expression. "Now com'ahn." Francesca glared at him, but followed.
         They finally found a door way and pushed it open, it led to one of the upper rooms, though it hadn't seemed like they were climbing upwards as they walked. Stella tried the light switch and was relieved when the room was instantly illuminated. She blew out the slowly melting candles as Francesca and Fraser joined them from behind the bureau.
         "This place reminds me of that movie..." Francesca commented, as she set the cat down to wander the room. "About a haunted hotel...."
         "The Shining." Fraser, Ray and Stella all said together and Francesca laughed nervously.
         "Um..yah." she admitted,  "Like that wasn't a little weird." She muttered to herself.
         "Redrum, Redrum." Ray said in an eerily throaty voice and Fraser gave him a scolding look as Francesca shivered.
         He grinned and moved to look out the window, to see if he could guess their location in the hotel from the view. They were almost directly opposite from the side of the hotel that their own rooms were in, judging from the scene below, though he didn't think they had walked that far.
         "Ray?" Fraser asked and the detective turned to inspect the blue prints Fraser had found on the desk.
         "Plans of da hotel." Ray commented glancing over them as the women peered over their shoulders. The cat jumped onto the desk, walked across the papers and moved to stroke up against Ray, purring expectantly. "Move it furball." He growled snatching the animal up by the scruff of the neck and Francesca cried out in protest.
         "You're hurting him!"
         "Actually that is how their mother carries them, Francesca." Fraser offered kindly. "So it does not harm them." Francesca still glared at Ray, though she noticed how gently he'd placed the animal on the floor and her gaze softened.
         "Looks like dere's some other plan's here, Frase." Ray commented as he pulled out a list of papers from under the sheet. It was contractor's notes, on demolition of the building. "Some one wants' ta tear it down. LBK Development, looks like dey wanna build a shopping mall."
         "They can't!" Francesca protested. "It's a historical landmine." Ray tilted his head forward to hide his automatic grin.
         "Landmark, Frannie." He corrected and Stella shook her head.
         "Actually it isn't a historical monument, Ray." She stated. "It's privately owned but leased for public functions."
         "Perhaps they are trying to sell the hotel, Ray?" Fraser suggested but Ray shook his head.
         "Or perhaps the owners don't want to sell and makin' da place seem haunted is a way to get a reluctant owner to want to get rid of it. It cost a lot ta run a place like dis, if they can't lease it, they have ta sell."
         "But it's such a beautiful hotel." Francesca insisted. "How could anyone want to destroy it?"
         "Progress, Frannie." Ray commented. "Progress."
         "It is possible then that the Development Company is using someone to scare away the guests to make purchasing the hotel easier." Fraser agreed.
         "And go so far as staging accidents and making things go bump in the night." Stella added.
         "So, den, we just gotta find out who's doin' it and how." Ray decided.
         "The crew of the hotel all leave at six, Ray." Fraser reminded. "So that leaves them free of wrong doing."
         "If they all really leave, Fraser." He countered.
         "I believe they do, Ray." He insisted. "I have spoken with many of them and they are genuinely frightened and will not stay after dark here."
         "So it could be one of da contestants." Ray admitted. "Da judging panel doesn't come back until tomorrow, so it can only be the hotel crew or da dancers."
         "We can't ask too many questions," Stella cautioned. "We certainly can't grill everyone of their intentions here." Ray rolled up the blue prints and extra papers and tucked in his free hand.
         "Fer now, let's get back to our rooms before anyone notices we're gone." He suggested. "I'll call Welsh tomorrow and have him check on this LBK development." Fraser and the others agreed and they found their way back to the other side of the hotel. At their prospective rooms, Fraser and Francesca entered theirs immediately leaving Stella and Ray in the hall.
         "I'm sorry to have made a fuss earlier." Stella offered softly. "I guess my imagination is getting away from me. I know there are no such things as ghosts I was just being silly."
         "You couldn't be silly if you tried, Stell." Ray commented softly as he brushed a single blond tendril of her hair away from her cheek. "You were real brave." She smiled shyly and turned her face toward his touch. His palm cupped her cheek as he raised his other hand to cradle her face.
        "I...it was...it felt great dancing with you again Ray." She whispered as their gazes locked.
         "Bein' wit you is always great fer me Stell." He admitted as he lowered his lips to hers in a feather-soft kiss. Stella released a gentle sigh of protest when he did not go further and she curled her hand around his neck to bring his mouth to hers once again. Ray wrapped his arms around her as they shared another brief but passionate kiss and for a moment he considered the thought that Stella would give into him if he pressed her. He reluctantly released her and stepped back, he was on a case and now was not the time, and as much as he needed her it wouldn't be right.
         "What's wrong?' she whispered confused. Didn't he want to be with her, make love to her? Surely they could find an empty room somewhere if they needed to, or even with Ray's past adventurous lovemaking they could find somewhere secluded.
         "It's late, ya should get some sleep." He told her but she could see how difficult it was for him to form the sentence that would end the magic they were feeling between them. Finally she nodded, she understood he was trying to do what was best for them both and she loved him all the more for it.
          "See you in the morning." she offered kissing his cheek softly and watching his eyes close serenely at the contact. He waited until she had gone inside her room and closed the door before heading into his own room. God he needed cold shower.

 
 
         He saw her there, in his dreams again, felt her in his arms, and knew what was to come. Like so many nights before they made love over and over, each time as though it were their last, until they were both spent and exhausted. Then, she would roll from his bed and walk to the open window, the glow of the candles that marked each surface of the room gave her lithe, sensually naked body a glowing ethereal effect. She turned to him and smiled, tilting her head ever so slightly in that curious, secret was of hers.
          Then she would back up and her arms knocked over the candles closest, starting a fire that roared up around her, and she laughed wickedly, as though she were a witch being burned at the stake then she threw herself backward out the window screaming his name. He tried to move away from the flames but they were already encompassing his bed, surrounding him and giving him no escape. He tried to cover his mouth, gasping for breath through the heat and the smoke as the flames claimed his skin, climbing up his legs around his hips, engulfing him. And then, he screamed.
         Fraser bolted upright in bed, startling Ray who had risen to go to the bathroom. The detective almost jumped out of his skin as his hand flew to his pounding heart.
         "Jeez, Fraser!" he breathed unevenly. "Give a guy some warning before ya do dat!" Fraser glanced around disoriented and shook his head, realizing he was in their room in the hotel room.
         "I...I am sorry, Ray." He murmured quietly, trying to steady his shaking hands. "I...I must have had a nightmare, I did not mean to startle you."
         "Startle me?" Ray repeated. "Ya almost gave me an aneurysm Fraser! I thought ya were asleep, if I'd had my gun I'd a shot ya fer cryin' out loud!" Fraser smirked.
         "Please forgive me, Ray." He requested. "I truly did not mean to create such a reaction." Ray nodded and headed again for the bathroom. Fraser took the time to compose himself and attempted to wipe the vivid dream from his mind.
         Ray closed the bathroom door and leaned against it for a moment, before moving to the sink to splash water on his face. He hadn't wanted to admit the real reason the Canadian had given him such a fright was because of the dream he had just had.
         They were back in the funeral parlor, as they had been when going after Van Zandt, only this time no one else was around but himself and Fraser. Ray had continued to try and awaken his partner, concerned that the Mountie was so still when it was obvious that there was no need. They had arrested Van Zandt and there was no purpose to Fraser's repeated deception, but Ray could not awaken him. He started to blame himself for ever suggesting the farce, for leaving Fraser unattended for an entire evening with the lid of the coffin closed, for allowing the Mountie to be reduced to this state.
         It finally started to dawn on him that the Mountie was really dead this time and he became hysterical with disbelief. How could Fraser be dead? How had it happened? When? Where? Why? All these questions were spinning around in his brain until he felt a hand on his arm. It was Dewey shaking his head with a grim smile as they stared down at Fraser.
         "You blew it man." He was saying, just as Welsh appeared behind them and spoke.
         "He was your partner, Detective." The Lieutenant informed disappointed as Ray turned toward him. "You should have backed him up."
         "Backed him up when?" Ray demanded confused. "I don't understand!"
         "It's all your fault Ray." Thatcher informed suddenly beside him. "I never should have agreed to let Fraser become your partner."
         "You should have been there Ray." Dewey stated forlornly.
         "This is unacceptable Detective." Welsh declared as Ray looked from one to the other. What were they talking about? What had happened to Fraser?
         "You killed him you bastard!" Francesca Vecchio cried as she stood before him and slapped him hard across the face.
         "No!" Ray denied. "I didn't kill Fraser. How could I? He's my partner. I don't understand..."
         "You let him down, Ray." Thatcher sighed as she gazed longingly over the body of Benton Fraser. "Now I have to train a new Constable, what a hassle that will be."
         "I don't think Vecchio will be pleased to hear you killed his partner, Ray." Hewy stated.
         "I did not kill Fraser!" Ray cried and turned to the body frantically. "Fraser wake up! Com'ahn, tell 'em yer okay. We're partners, a duet, you and me forever, buddy. Fraser tell em..." Fraser suddenly sat up and Ray barely had time to register his relief at his friend's revival when he saw the Mounties's service revolver pointed directly at his chest.
         "Partner's to the end, Ray." Fraser agreed his voice sounding almost demonic as his glowed white. "I set them up and you let me down."
         Ray had bolted upright when the gun went off in his dream, automatically checking himself for holes, then glancing at the still sleeping Mountie beside him. When he quietly got up to move to the bathroom to calm himself and wake up a little more fully, he'd stopped to stare down at Fraser for just the briefest of movements, as though assuring himself that his partner was still in the land of the living.
          Unfortunately, Fraser picked that time to bolt up from his own nightmare and Ray had frozen in fear instantly. He had been quite serious when he told Fraser if he had been carrying his gun he might have shot the Mountie on the spot, simply because he wasn't quite recovered from his dream and was expecting his partner to try and kill him again. The idea that Ray could have killed Fraser in the darker reality of conscious thought scared him more than the dream had.
          Ray returned to the room a moment later, he wore only a pair of white shorts and a gray T-shirt to sleep in, and his hair was rumpled from his tossing and turning in the bed.
         "Wanna tell me about yer dream, Frase?" he offered, calmer now, as he rounded to his side of the bed, but Fraser shook his head and automatically pulled the covers back for his partner, revealing his own white shorts and RCMP issue tee that he was also wearing.
         "I'd rather just try and forget it, Ray." He declined.  "Thank you anyway." Ray nodded as he climbed under the covers.
         "I get dat, I've had a few dreams like dem."  Some more recently then he was ready to admit. Fraser glanced up as a knock sounded at their door and he exchanged a curious glance with his partner. "Who is it?" Ray called out.
         "Frannie!" the voice called and Ray rolled his eyes and threw back the covers again, reaching for his jeans, watching Fraser do the same. He walked to the door and opened it a crack to peer out at the brunette, who was clad only in a skimpy robe and Stella, who wore a longer, green satin sheath over her own gown.
         "It's past yer bedtime, Sis." He reminded, blocking a view of their room and Fraser who was quickly pulling on his sweater as well. Something in her expression worried him. "What's wrong, hon?"
         "T...there's...um...someone in our room. We...we heard them again like before." She stammered her eyes wide and frightened as Ray glanced at Stella to confirm the tale. The blonde's eyes were also bright with suspicion and fear.
         "Frase, get my gun." he requested over his shoulder as he opened the door and moved into the hallway. Fraser followed and handed him the weapon; the Mountie had even shoved on his boots, whereas Ray was still in his bare feet.
         "Stay in our room." Fraser told the women. "Do not open this door until you know it is us." They nodded and hurried inside, but not before Stella caught her ex-husband's arm as he past.
         "Be careful, Ray." She said quietly and he gave her a look that said just how much he appreciated her concern, then nodded.
         Fraser waited until the women had closed the door then they walked across the hall to the other room. Ray opened the door carefully, switching on the light and he and Fraser made a quick survey of the premises. They found no one and saw no sign of forced entry through the door or window, other than a banging shutter that Fraser quickly secured. They returned to their room and Ray shook his head.
         "No one dere." He informed wryly. "Was yer imagination." Francesca shook her head in denial.
         "What exactly did you hear?' Fraser inquired politely as Ray set his gun back on the nightstand.
         "It was...like there was someone walking around in the room." She stated anxiously.
         "And I could hear someone breathing, Ray." Stella added. "We tried to turn on the lights but they wouldn't work and whoever it was kept getting closer and closer."
         "So we ran over here." Francesca finished quickly.
         "Da lights were fine when we were over dere." Ray insisted. "Dis better not be some scheme ta get Fraser ta sleep over in yer room, Frannie-cause it ain't happenin." Francesca glared at him, but she was shaking.
         "Look, I know you don't believe us but it's true." She exclaimed. "I am not sleeping in that room." Ray sighed and flopped back on his bed.
         "Fine, we'll take dat room you sleep here." He declared, rising again to grab up their bags, but Stella stopped him.
         "Ray, we are not making this up." Ray regarded her for a long moment then nodded.
         "You two sleep in here and we'll take yer room."  He repeated in a kinder tone. Call us if you need anythin'."
         "I don't want to be alone!" Stella suddenly exclaimed, causing both men to peer at her surprised. In a calmer voice she continued. "I don't know what is going on in this hotel, Ray, but it's scaring the hell out of us and I don't think changing rooms will help."
         "Okay, okay." Ray sighed as he glanced at Fraser. "I...I guess we can all sleep in here. Me and Fraser will take da floor and you girls take the bed."
         "I'll get some sheets and things from the other room so you'll be more comfortable." Francesca offered heading for the door then stopping to glance apprehensively at Fraser. "W...will you come with me, Frase?"
         "Of course, Francesca." He assured following her out as Ray stood and ran his fingers through his hair then started to move the few pieces of furniture about to make room on the floor. Stella rose to assist him and they had arranged a decent sized area for the men to sleep by the time Francesca and Fraser returned. The four prepared two beds on the floor and the women settled into the bed.
         "I can sleep on the floor if you prefer not to, Ray." Francesca offered suddenly as Ray climbed under his sheets, while Fraser lay atop his, with their jeans and T-shirts still on.
         "Save it, Frannie." Ray muttered punching his pillow to get it the way he liked it. "Dat's a close as yer getting' to da sleepin' Mountie over here."
         "You are such an ass, Ray." She grumbled. "You think that's all I think about or what? I was just trying to be nice but if you want to be a toad and turn my offer into..."
         "Tell it to yer priest will ya!" Ray retorted from the floor. "Now go ta sleep." Fraser listened to their arguing, embarrassed to once again be the cause of it. It wasn't that he didn't like Francesca, she was simply to forward for his liking-it made him uncomfortable. He lay back on his pillow as Stella switched off the light and waited for his eyes to adjust to the sudden darkness.
         He missed Diefenbaker; he was used to the wolf curling up next to him as he drifted off to sleep. He'd been able to drift off quickly enough earlier because Ray was in the bed beside him, even though the bed was large enough for four people, he'd still felt Ray's presence next to him. He wondered if Ray would...he smiled and shook his head. No, he wouldn't ask the detective to move a little closer to him just because he was lonely.
         After a few minutes, he could hear the steady rhythmic breathing of the women, who had dozed off almost immediately, but Ray was still tossing and turning on the floor. He imagined his partner was finding the hard surface, despite the carpet, too difficult to sleep on comfortably even with the sheets and pillows.
         "Frase?" Ray suddenly whispered.
         "Yes, Ray?" Fraser returned just as quietly, in consideration for the sleeping women.
         "Are you asleep yet?" Ray asked and Fraser grinned.
         "Obviously not, Ray." He whispered. "Or I wouldn't be talking to you."
         "You could be talking in yer sleep." Ray countered.
         "By that same reasoning so could you, Ray."
         "But I'm not asleep, Fraser."
         "Are you sure, Ray?"
         "Pretty sure, yah." Replied the detective and Fraser could hear the smile in his voice.
         "Well I am not asleep either, Ray."
         "Oh." Was the blonde's only reply. Fraser waited patiently for Ray to continue, which he knew he would. Finally he said. "I've been thinkin' buddy."
         "That is always an admirable past time, Ray." Fraser allowed ignoring the detective's groan.
         "Har de ha ha wise guy." He volleyed dryly. " I mean I've been thinkin' about the case."
         "What have you been thinking about the case, Ray?" Fraser asked dutifully and listened as his partner pulled his bedding closer so they could talk face to face, so to speak. Fraser turned on his side and braced his head with his hand as Ray did the same so they faced each other, while the pale light of the moon shining in from the window cast a soft shadowed glow upon their features.
         "I think those plans were planted fer us to find." Ray commented suspiciously. "I think someone wants us to put the heat on LBK Development for nefarious purposes Benton buddy." Fraser smiled; he loved it when Ray got excited enough about solving a case that he started to use the 'Big Words' as the detective put it.
         "I agree, Ray." He allowed. "I also believe that whoever planted the plans is also behind at least some of the strange happenings here at the hotel. I have noticed that things seem to happen more whenever we are present, as though offering proof to the investigation."
         "What d'ya mean some, Fraser?" Ray asked. "They're behind all of it."
         "I don't believe that is entirely true, Ray." Fraser countered. "I can suspect someone of staging the accidents and spreading the rumors of ghosts, but some things cannot truly be contributed to. The strange voices the women heard, the foot steps in the hallway." He neglected to add the nightmares he himself had been having since they arrived.
         "They're probably using video and audio equipment hidden through the hotel." Ray suggested.
         "Or it could be that the hotel is indeed haunted, Ray." Fraser replied and Ray cast him a skeptical glance.
         "Yer just tryin' ta mess wit my mind, Fraser." He decided rolling onto his back and bracing his head on his arms wound behind him. "Dis ain't da time fer ghost stories. Next you'll be tellin' me of LooooSkagnettie."
         "Ray I am serious." Fraser protested just as a thump sounded around them and a soft cackle came from outside. Both men shot into a sitting position and stared at the solid wooden door. Ray reached for his gun, which was still in the holster that dangled on the bedpost, as the brass knob started to slowly turn, and both men quietly rolled to their feet.
         They had just crept to the door when the knob stopped turning and they exchanged a curious glance. Ray nodded at Fraser, as he cast a protective glance at the two sleeping forms in the bed across from them, then returned his attention as Fraser suddenly yanked open the door. Ray leveled his gun toward their unexpected visitor, but there was no one there. They glanced down the hall but saw no one.
         Ray cocked his head and signaled with his fingers that he and Fraser should check out the hallway. Fraser nodded and started off in one direction while the detective headed the opposite way. Toward the end of the corridor, where it turned around a corner, both men paused to exchange a cautious glance before continuing, out of sight of each other.
 

         Fraser's socked feet made no sound on the carpeted hallway as he searched for their possible intruder, the gentle glow of the wall lamps brightened the corridor just enough for him to see clearly. His ears only picked up the sounds of the sleeping couples in the rooms he passed and the chiming of the large clock down stairs; it was five O'clock. After walking all the way to the stairs that led down he decided to turn back to see if his partner had better luck in his search.
 

         Ray had just lost sight of Fraser and gone only a few steps around the corner when he heard the errie laughter floating ahead of him and thudding footsteps coming from behind. He spun around but saw no one, then swallowed nervously and continued forward.
         "Com'ahn, Casper." He taunted, angry that the person's tricks were effecting him as he hefted his gun more securely. "I've got yer ticket to da after life right here lil' ghosty ghost."
        He came to the end of the corridor and considered the passages on either side of him warily, just as the click of a door being closed was heard to his right, a passageway that looked to be sectioned off halfway down. He hurried toward the sound, his gun raised as he paused by each room to listen for movement inside.
        He climbed over the barricade and turned to the left passage, which held only a spattering of doors to consider. At the third door he heard someone shuffling across the floor and soft music playing. Carefully he tried the door and found it unlocked, so he slowly pushed it open and glanced inside.
         The room was larger than the one he and Fraser were staying in, more of a suite really and he saw movement across the room just inside a door leading possibly to the bathroom. He stepped inside and carefully made his way across the dim lit room, only pausing a moment to notice the antique phonograph that played a scratchy sounding LP, and silently hoped he wasn't about to invade some poor old lady in her bath tub or something equally embarrassing. Although there shouldn't be anyone in this section of the hotel according to the signs Ray had passed.
         At the doorway of the adjoining room, he discreetly peered through the small opening, but could only see a cloud of steam rising from the interior. He called out but no one answered him, instead he heard the sound of water running and more steam billowed through.
         "Hello?" he called tentatively as he started to push the door open further. "Is anyone in here?" Still receiving no answer he stepped inside the room and his bare feet slipped immediately on the slick tile, causing him to fall backwards against the wall. Pain short through him, as he felt his head hit something behind him and his gun shot out of his hand and across the floor out of sight.
         He shook his head and gasped, as stars danced before his eyes and he struggled into a sitting position. He heard the bathroom door slam shut just as he reached out toward it and a figure appeared in the steam before him.
         "I've been waiting for you." The voice said, moving closer as the steam started to dissipate. Ray's eyes grew wide as he stared at the apparition moving toward him and he screamed Fraser's name.
 

         Fraser returned to their room and entered quietly so as not to disturb the women, but found that Ray had not yet returned. He checked the bathroom and quietly called out to his partner but there was no sign of him.
         "What is it, Fraser?' Stella asked sleepily from the bed.
         "I apologize for waking you." He offered softly. "I was looking for Ray." Stella sat up more alert and glanced down at the sheets on the floor then back at the Mountie.
         "Where is he?" she demanded.
         "We heard a noise outside the door and went to investigate." Fraser informed quietly. "We split up and he hasn't returned yet. I was just about to go looking for him." Stella threw back the covers and slipped on her robe and slippers.
         "I'm going with you." She decided.
         "I do not think...." He protested but she gave him a look that brokered any further argument. "Very well." He agreed he didn't have the time to waist arguing with her, he had to find Ray.
         They left the room and headed down the side of the corridor where Fraser had last seen the detective, calling quietly for him and hoping they didn't wake any of the other contestants as they passed the rooms. They paused at the divided hallway to consider which path to take, just as they saw Ray walking up the hallway to their right. And
         "Ray!" Stella exclaimed in a hushed tone as they met him halfway. "What's going on? We were worried." Ray had an odd expression on his face as he stared at them for a moment, then he simply shrugged.
         "We thought we heard an intruder by our room." He supplied as they headed back the way they came.
         "Did you find anything, Ray?" Fraser asked curiously.
         "No." he denied as he moved forward to open the door to their room and allowed Stella to proceed them through. "I thought I heard a noise in that room back there but it was empty." Francesca was still sound asleep, snoring quietly. "Did you have any luck, Fraser?"
         "I am afraid not, Ray." Fraser returned quietly as he watched Ray return his gun to the shoulder holster hanging off one of the bedposts. "Perhaps we should get dressed and investigate further?"
         "Perhaps we should." the detective agreed, since the light of dawn was already starting to filter through the heavy drapes of the window. He pulled on his socks and boots then secured his holster over his shoulder and hid it with a heavier cotton button down.
         "Do you want me to help, Ray?" Stella asked suddenly and he shook his head.
         "Plenty of time for that later, Stella." Ray assured dropping a light kiss on his ex-wife's forehead. "Go back to bed, babe." She glanced at him startled, but removed her robe and slippers to climb back under the sheets as she watched Fraser pull on his boots again, then follow his partner out of the room.
         "Ray?" Fraser inquired as they started down the stairs, there was something different about the detective but he couldn't put his finger on it. "Are you quite sure you are feeling all right?"
         "I feel fine, Fraser." Ray replied as he trailed his hand along the magnificently carved banister that graced the sleek curving staircase. "How do you feel?" Fraser was taken back by the remark.
         "I...well I am well, thank you, Ray." He assured quickly as they stepped onto the polished floor of the great hall. He watched Ray smile secretly.
         "That is good then isn't it?" he commented. "That we both feel fine." Fraser stared at him bewildered, something in his voice, the arrangement of his words, his very manner as he walked. Smooth, elegant, structured, nothing like the erratically explosive high-energy detective he knew yet it was still Ray. Who else could it be?
 

             "My yes, we enter every year." Mrs. Farnsworth, one of the contestants was remarking as they met up with Fraser and Ray at the breakfast buffet table later that morning. The ladies had decided to sleep in and Ray and Fraser had explored the rest of the hotel before anyone else awoke. They did not however investigate the section that Ray had been to, because Ray said he had already checked it and found nothing. "It's simply wonderful that they decided to hold the contest here this year, but horrible the things that have been happening."
         "What sort of things are you speaking of, Mrs. Farnsworth?" Fraser asked kindly and she beamed at him.
         "I love the way you speak." She sighed placing a hand on his arm. She was probably in her sixties, but looked like she kept herself in wonderful physical shape, probably due to her dancing, and she had mentioned earlier that she now taught dance as well as participated in the contests. " Many odd things, voices, footsteps in the hallway." She smiled and patted his arm again. "But then I imagine you and your partner will protect me from any mischievous ghosts won't you?"
         "We will try." Agreed Fraser as the woman quickly changed the subject.
         "Where is your dance partner honey?"
         "Francesca decided to sleep late this morning" He stated and the woman smiled as she helped herself to a generous slice of ham.
         "She's so young and tiny." She chuckled amused. "Perfect for dancing I must say and so pretty. She must be light as a feather to dance with."
         "Francesca is a remarkable dancer, yes." He agreed politely as the woman's eyes crinkled with merriment.
         "I remember when I was that young." She sighed amused. "Weighed no more than a farthing soaking wet but my how I could twist and turn my body at that young age." Fraser offered her a special smile.
         "I am sure you were a sight to behold ma'am." He complimented. "I look forward to watching you during the competition." Mrs. Farnsworth giggled delighted.
         "What a flatterer you are, young man." She scolded gently as she turned to Ray, who was on her other side and spooned him up an ample helping of eggs and sausage. "You're too skinny, honey." She smiled at him. "You'll need to eat plenty and keep your energy up against us old timers. That's what happens when you go without sleep, you have to watch that behavior. " Ray gave her one of his special smiles.
         "Yes ma'am." He returned gently as she turned her attention back to the Mountie and he replaced two of the five sausages she's put on his plate and scraped off half the mountain of eggs piled next to it.
         He poured himself a cup of coffee, selected a bottle of juice and some rolls then turned his tray away before she could add any more food to it. He found an empty table and waited for Fraser to join him before digging into his meal. He expected to feel tired but he was amazingly alert, considering neither he or Fraser had much sleep the night before.
         "Well, Mrs. Farnsworth, although she did not get detailed in her description of the strange happenings around here, she did acknowledge them." Fraser stated calmly. When he finally joined Ray at the table.
         "I've talked to a few others too, they're all pretty scared." Ray commented opening his juice after shaking it vigorously. "Seems it's mostly just some close calls with the stage equipment. Could easily be shoddy workmen not anchoring things properly."
         "Did you find out anything about the plans we found, Ray?' Fraser inquired as he opened his milk just as Stella and Francesca appeared at their table.
         "Ya coulda waited." Francesca huffed as both men stood politely to greet them.
         "We believed you wished to sleep in this morning, Francesca." Fraser countered once they were all settled in their seats.
         "Are you kidding?" Stella commented dryly. "Frannie's stomach was what woke me up." Francesca blushed and stuffed a piece of toast into her mouth as Ray chuckled. Stella smiled and reached for her juice, struggling with the top. "What were you saying, Fraser?" Ray reached over and removed the bottle from Stella's fingers and popped the lid easily then handed it back to her as he answered for the Mountie.
         "I spoke with Welsh this morning." He informed his gaze holding Fraser's almost challenging him. The Mountie had been watching him closely all morning and he couldn't help but smile. He didn't seem to notice that Stella was staring at him wistfully, still having not taken even a sip from the open bottle in her hands.  "Seems LBK is legit never had any kinda shady dealings in da past and even made a real respectable offer to the owners of dis place."
         "So then they aren't the one's behind what is happening?" Francesca inquired glancing from Stella to Ray curiously.
         "Now, I never said dat." Ray disagreed after swallowing some of his food. "Dey could be participating in some seriously suspicious activity that has momentarily been overlooked by our judiciously conscious law enforcement agencies, significantly proving only that they are either a justifiably run company or they have acquired numerous politicians in their favor for the passing of certain land laws."  The women stared at him in shock and he forced back his grin as Fraser merely blinked.
         "That was beautifully said Ray." He commented impressed and Ray allowed his smile to surface. "It brought a tear to my eye."
         "Thank you." He returned dutifully, finishing his juice and noticing Stella seemed to have gone a shade paler then normal, which she usually did when Ray pulled out his mental dictionary to voice his thoughts. Just because he acted like a dumb Chicago flatfoot didn't mean he was one, and he enjoyed shaking people up by disproving his heartily earned image. He did however notice that Fraser was intently aware of the subtle differences from this morning that he was now displaying.
         "I...ya lost me somewhere." Francesca finally managed, putting a hand to her temple in the gesture of a growing headache. Good, Ray thought, God knew she gave him enough headaches in the past.
         "So who else does that leave Ray?" Fraser continued ignoring the women's stunned expressions and quite proud of his partner for putting them in their place for once, though his suspicions that something wasn't quite right with the detective remained.
         "Well, what about the owners?" Stella finally asked, coming out of her daze.
         "Why would they be trying to scare people away from their hotel?" Francesca countered. "They'd loose money and reputation."
         "Contestants?" Stella suggested and Fraser shook his head.
         "They have never been here before, what would they have to gain?" he returned effectively, watching as Stella snitched a sausage from Ray's plate and the detective pretended not to notice.
         "Dat leaves only da staff." Ray sighed rubbing his jaw with his forefinger. "And I agree wit Fraser, I don't think it's any of dem."
         "Can we talk with the owners, Ray?" Fraser suggested, but Ray shook his head.
         "Hewy tried to contact dem, but it seems dey're unavailable."
         "Doesn't leave us much to go on." Stella sighed and the others agreed.
         "Nah, but I got a hunch." Ray admitted as his eyes met Fraser's over the rim of his coffee cup, seeing the suspicious confusion in the Mounties's eyes. Take it easy Fraser, you're not loosing your mind or anything, just ride the wave.
         The detective's eyes rose toward one of the heavy chandeliers in the dining hall, the hair on the back of his neck suddenly standing up as Fraser seemed to cock his ear toward a sound only his keen hearing could pick up on.
         Both men saw the sparkling fixture start to shake and were out of their chairs instantly and dashing across to the center of the room calling out to the couple who had paused by the table directly under it to lay their food down.
         There was a scream from a woman a few tables over as Ray tackled the man and Fraser grabbed the woman out of the way just when the heavy chandelier suddenly crashed to the table, in a crunching, popping sound of crystal and splintering wood. Ray and Fraser helped the couple back on their feet and quickly checked to see if they were all right. The woman was shaken but the man seemed fine.
         "It's the ghosts!" one woman cried in horror. "I told you this place was haunted." Ray and Fraser exchanged a cautious glance.
 
 

         Ray led Fraser upstairs and toward the area that was sectioned off, claiming there was something he needed to be shown. Fraser remembered that this was where Ray had disappeared to the night before and his curiosity was indeed peaked, but before they could arrive at the barricade they again heard footsteps behind them.
         Both turned and once more found no one. Ray had started to continue on but Fraser held him back with his hand. He motioned for the detective to stay where he was and backed up about five steps or so. He walked toward Ray, nothing. He backed up and tried it again walking over a different area of carpet, still nothing. The third time the footsteps sounded and Fraser stopped the moment he heard them, his foot posed directly on the carpet to mark the spot.
         Both men carefully knelt and examined the area. Fraser pulled out his knife and sliced the material lengthwise so he could pull it upward. There was a small, pedal looking contraption connected to some kind of a recorder and Ray pressed down on it, hearing the sound of the footsteps once again.
         "The plot thickens." Ray commented quietly as they disconnected the trip wire and put the carpet back. "Dere's probably one we hit in the ballroom too fer da ones we heard down stairs."
         "Or the ladies may have tripped one outside the room that only sounded inside the hall." Fraser surmised.
         "Let's get back to Stell's room." Ray suggested rising to his feet. "If dey really heard all dat noise, dere's gotta be somethin' dere ta cause it." They hurried back to the room opposite their own and knocked briefly. Stella allowed them inside.
         "Francesca's in the shower." She informed. "What's up?" Ray put a finger to his lips as he and Fraser quickly and quietly searched the place.
          Both men checked under the bed at the same time and saw the small recorder strapped to the box spring. Ray carefully crawled on the bed and rolled around on it, trying to cover the entire surface at some point while Stella looked at him confused. Ray called her over and mimed for her to join him. After a curious glance she started to move about the bed with him. Francesca came out of the bathroom wrapped in a towel and stared at them surprised. Stella made a hushing gesture as she and Ray finally lay side by side toward the middle of the bed.
         Immediately the sounds started in the room, the footsteps, the heavy breathing.
Fraser reached in and shut off the tape that he had watched start, then pulled the contraption out from under the mattress. From the angle where Ray lay he could see a tiny black spot in the light above the bed and he stood up to retrieve it. Sure enough it was a small microphone, which he quickly jumped down and deposited in the bathroom toilet.
         "I think we've located you're ghost's, ladies." Fraser deduced as Ray returned and glanced at Francesca, who was still confused as ever.
         "Put some clothes on, Frannie." He demanded, causing Fraser to automatically glance her way, only to blush and avert his eyes at her state of undress.
 

         It was the day of the contest and Ray had made a few calls to Welsh about his suspicions. They were running out of time and many of the people were almost too scared to consider finishing the competition. Fraser suspected Ray was hiding something but the detective seemed evasive whenever the Mountie inquired if there was something he didn't know about.
         The faces of the contestants were drawn and weary for lack of sleep, perhaps they had experienced the same night terrors that Francesca and Stella had in their rooms
         "Ray?" Stella inquired when she found him in the ballroom shortly after breakfast, where a few contestants were practicing. He was staring intently at a portrait over the large fireplace of a eighteenth century woman dressed in layers of white lace and a pearl and diamond tiara. A bride on her wedding day.
         "She is very beautiful isn't she?" he inquired and she could swear he sounded almost British. She shook her head, thinking she had heard him wrong and glanced up to observe the young woman with the phantom blue eyes and flowing red hair.
         "Yes she is." Stella agreed honestly.
         "She looks very happy don't you think?" he continued, his eyes never leaving the portrait.
         "It's her wedding day, shouldn't she be happy?" Stella inquired; intrigued to be making guesses of this woman long dead no doubt that neither of them knew or had ever heard of.
         "She wasn't though." Ray sighed regretfully. "I tried to make her happy but I simply couldn't." Stella glanced at him confused as Fraser and Francesca, as well as a few contestants and staff wandered in to enjoy their last day of practice.
         "Ray, what are you talking about?" Stella demanded, not appreciating his joke.
         "She loved another." Ray replied calmly as Fraser and Francesca approached.   "We were good friends, from childhood, but her heart belonged to Jeremy. She only married me because her Father wished it so."
         "Ray?" Fraser asked concerned, watching his friend closely, but the detective didn't respond, he merely reached above the mantle and caressed the canvass lovingly.
         "I do miss her." Francesca gaped at him.
         "What's going on?" she demanded. "What is he talking about? Fraser what's wrong with him?" Ray started to move away from them as a very old ballad started playing out of no where and he grabbed Stella's hands and started to waltz her around the room in his tender embrace.
         "Ray?" she asked worried. "Ray what is wrong with you?" He smiled and whispered something in her ear. Her eyes widened and she stumbled away from him.
         "What is it?" Fraser demanded.
         "That's not Ray!" she denied frightened. "It can't be Ray, he...he's someone else!" Fraser stepped up to his partner who was watching Stella with lecherous eyes.
         "Come now love." He crooned with evil in his smile. "You know I cannot let you go, Ariana, you are my wife. We will be together in life..." his eyes narrowed intently. "And in death my dear."
         "Ray?" Fraser began as Stella backed up to grasp Francesca's frightened hands. "Are you Ray?"
         "No, I am not." Ray declared. "And you Sir are an interloper, stand aside from the woman I love." Fraser shook his head and Ray charged him, Fraser managed to toss him slightly to the side in a defensive move and he went over a table out of their line of sight.
         "Ray" Fraser, asked concerned. "Ray are you alright?" The detective rose and turned toward them, brushing off his clothing and Francesca screamed, for Ray's steel blue eyes now glowed a deep chocolate brown.
         "Stand aside." Ray ordered once more, showing no fear toward the Mountie.
         "I cannot do that." Fraser denied. "Please tell me who you are?"
         "You know who I am." Ray replied coldly. "I am who I am and that is all that I am." Again his evil grin. "You are all trespassers in my home and I want you to leave the premises immediately."
         "Oh my God!" Mrs. Farnsworth, who had been watching them with interest, suddenly exclaimed in horror and Ray turned toward her. "It can't be!"
         "Do I know you, Madam?" he inquired regally. Mrs. Farnsworth continued to shake her head, she had gone deathly pale and her entire body was trembling.
         "You can't be him." she denied as she took a step closer toward him. "This isn't real, none of this is real it's just....it's not possible!" Ray moved closer to her, those dark eyes staring down at her intently.
         "I do know you." He commented suspiciously. "Your name is Virginia." If it was possible for the older woman to pale further she did indeed achieve it, for not even the heavy make up she wore could add color to her now placid face.
         "No....no!" she shook her head and stumbled backwards as he continued to advance. "I...I'm not Virginia, I'm her...her grand daughter." Ray paused in mid stride.
         "Why are you here?" he demanded. "You should not be here, how dare you sully my home with your wicked presence." Thunder crashed outside as a chair from a nearby table was suddenly careening across the floor toward them by an invisible force. Mrs. Farnsworth cowered from Ray in fright.
         "It wasn't my idea!" she cried. "Please don't hurt me grandfather Marlow! It was all Jack's idea, it was him, all him, dear God!" A table over turned and many people cried out in alarm as Mrs. Farnsworth took the opportunity to scramble over to Fraser. "Don't let him kill me! Please!"
         "What the hell is going on?" one of the men demanded as the lights flickered dramatically.
         "Why are you here?" Ray demanded advancing on Mrs. Farnsworth once more. "You know the punishment for disobedience, you know!" Fraser moved to intercept and was thrown aside with a wave of Ray's hand.
        "No!" she sobbed terrified, as her last barrier of defense now lay unconscious on the floor with Francesca and Stella kneeling beside him. "It was Jack. Please I...I'm not my grandmother Virginia, my...my name is Molly. It was all Jack's idea." She was crying openly now.
         "What was Jack's idea?" Stella demanded. "Who's jack?"
         "J...Jack is my brother." She managed. "I...he...he said we...we had a right to this place be...because of our great grandmother. B...But Grandfather Marlow d...disowned her for running off and m...marrying my grandfather Thomas." She turned tear filled eyes toward Ray who was watching her coldly. "She was your daughter! I...I am your grand daughter! You were a mean, petty old man and you threw her out, but this hotel should be ours! We're family too!"
         "So you tried to scare everyone away." Ray concluded angrily. "Using my home as a circus arena for your wild plans?"
        "We...we tried the courts and they wouldn't help us." she stammered. "T...then some company wanted to buy it and tear it down, but we couldn't let them do that, it's our home Grandfather, it's rightfully ours. Y...you don't want to...to see it torn down do you?" Everyone watched with bated breath as Ray observed the shivering woman at his feet, then shrugged.
         "You want it torn down, Anna?" he asked suddenly and everyone gasped as a tall, strikingly beautiful woman in  rippling white satin appeared in the doorway of the ballroom. Her hair was the color of the hottest fire and flowed in gentle waves down over her back, her eyes were the deepest shade of sapphire. She was the very replica of the woman in the portrait.
         "No." she replied as she approached him, watching as the others quickly moved away to provide a clear path for her. "Nor shall it be." Fraser opened his eyes and rolled to his feet unnoticed.
         "Oh God!" Molly Farnsworth cried, now there were two of them haunting her. She stopped before the cowering woman and placed a gentle hand on the older woman's shoulder.
         "If you had only come to me Molly." She soothed regretfully. "I would have agreed to some arrangement. I know my great grandfather was cruel and unreasonable, but now your deceit has made you the picture of Virginia. Your actions cannot be condoned." Her accent was decidedly British.
         "Who the hell are you?" Molly demanded shaking the woman's hand away and standing, finally seeing through her fear that this was not her grandmother's sister.
         "I am Anna Buckingham," she introduced.  "Ariana Marlow's great grand daughter and the rightful owner of this hotel."
         "Ain't dat a kick in da teeth?" Ray grinned wickedly as he finished taking out the contacts he had put in when Fraser purposefully tossed him over the table. Molly Farnsworth's face turned a lurid shade of purple as she realized she'd been had.
         "NO!" she screamed furious. "Jack and I are the only living relatives! We searched and searched and no others were found. When we still couldn't get the current owner to sell us this damn hotel we decided to take it for ourselves. You cannot be Ariana Marlow's relation because she only had two daughters. My grandmother Virginia and Elle, who died..."
         "Elle Marlow did not die, Molly." Anna stated calmly and watched the woman's eyes widen in disbelief. "She did almost drown in the lake that day, but they managed to save her. There was damage done to her brain from the ordeal and Ariana put her in a secluded institution in London then informed everyone that she was dead. Great grandfather Marlow knew she was alive and he placed a trust fund so that she would be taken care of no matter what. Elle was raped in that institution by an orderly and she had a child, my grand mother Marta. Elle couldn't function in the real world and after they took her baby away she became comatose and died soon after. Ariana found out about the child long after Elle died, by then there was no way to locate her. Grandfather Marlow left an opening in his will in the case that the offspring of that child was ever found."
         "I don't believe you!" Molly screamed though the family resemblance of Anna and Ariana could not be denied. "You are making that up. Why didn't you come forward before?"
         "I was only contacted two months ago." Anna supplied. "Mr. Edgers the proprietor of the hotel felt it best if my identity to remain forgotten until after the dance contest because of the publicity, but then you and Jack began creating problems." Anna smiled tenderly at Ray. "Then I met Detective Vecchio and he came up with a plan to expose you."
         "Worked too." Ray commented arrogantly.
         "B...but I saw the chairs and the table...and the storm..."
         "Compliments of the rigs yer brother set up." Ray explained as he bent to expose the almost transparent wire that led to the trap door where Detective Dewey was currently climbing out of. "He's some kinda effects artist, but when ya know how it's done, kinda takes away some of da magic. As fer da lightening, dat was a fluke of Mother Nature's which had the desired affect."
          Molly glared at Dewey, then over at Fraser, whom she assumed, staged his flying fall as well. Toward the door her brother J. J. Harris, a short balding miserable looking man was being led in by Detective Hewy. Soon, both people were led off to be taken to the precinct as a few of the contestants were milling around Anna with all types of questions. Finally they had the ballroom to them selves for awhile and were all seated at a table sipping coffee.
         "I still don't get it!" Francesca whined. "Why didn't you let me in on what was going on? And how did you know it was Mrs. Farnsworth behind all this?"
         "I suspected the woman after she made a comment that I and my partner Ray would protect her from the ghosts of the hotel." Fraser explained. "It seemed out of the ordinary that she would select that exact phrasing unless she already knew we were partners and in a position to actually protect her."
         "She also made a remark about us loosin' sleep." Ray interceded. "Now how would she have known dat unless dey were either watchin' us or listenin' to us."
         "Okay, so you suspected she was on to you guys bein' cops." Frannie stipulated. "But why didn't you tell us?"
         "We were not yet sure, Francesca." Fraser returned. "We wished to wait until we had more proof."
         "I figured out how ta get dat proof after I met Anna upstairs." Ray stated sipping his coffee and glancing at the red head across from him, who offered him a shy smile. "When Fraser and me went checkin' things out dat night, I walked into a room dat was sectioned off. Dere was music playin' and steam was comin' from the bathroom. Well, no one was supposed ta be in dere so naturally I went to investigate."
         "And naturally with everything going on in this hotel his imagination got the better of him." Anna supplied teasing. " I was running the water to avoid being heard by any of the bugs that Jack had set up around the building, I had no idea if my room was wired or not, but I couldn't take the chance. Detective Vecchio stepped into the bathroom and slipped."
         "The floor was wet and I was in my bare feet." Ray protested with a grin. "Anyway I hit my head and all I can see is steam everywhere, den dis figure moving toward me..."
         "I only meant to help you up." She laughed.
         "Yah, but I couldn't see all of ya, dressed in white like ya were yer were almost transparent in dat steam, not to mention dat line about waiting fer me."
         "Well, I was waiting for you." She smiled. "Why do you think I played the music and deliberately closed my door to get your attention. I knew who you were, but I couldn't expose myself in case Jack was watching.  I knew there was a second person involved but wasn't sure whom. I heard you set off that stupid trap of theirs and decided to take a chance your curiosity would lead you to me."
         "Yah, but ya almost gave me heart failure!" he exclaimed smiling.
         "Then why were you acting so weird when you came back with Fraser?" Stella demanded. "Why didn't you just tell us then?"
         "The room and da hall was probably bugged." Ray replied. "I needed ta pretend a be a little off ta set up da doubts to whoever's was listenin'."
         "I noticed a difference in Ray almost immediately." Fraser commented then added to Ray. "It was very well acted Ray."
         "Why thank you." Ray smiled as Fraser continued.
          "He was taking me to meet Anna this morning when we found the trip devices in the hallway. He couldn't risk telling me outside of Anna's room, because he had searched it and knew that was probably the only spot in the hotel that was not under surveillance."
         "Why didn't you take us all there then?" Frannie pouted.
         "I couldn't run da risk it would look suspicious." Ray explained.
        "I only found out part of what was going on when Ray started dancing with me just a while ago." Stella informed her. "He whispered the briefest possible explanation and then I started to play along."
         "We had to flush out the culprits and this seemed to be the best way." Ray stated. "Anna had learned all about her family's history and knew dat it was family related and that only da person behind all dis would understand who I was claiming to be."
         "With the extensive passageways that my great grandfather built into this hotel it was easy for Jack to go between the rooms and make things paper to be haunted." Anna stated. "Jack used the guise as a pageant sponsor and went in to hire Constable Fraser and Detective Vecchio to have them find the plans from the development company so it would be blamed on LBK and that would give Molly and J.J. more time to achieve ownership of the hotel."
         "So who owns the cat?" Francesca suddenly asked and Anna smiled.
         "She's mine, she likes to roam and I didn't see the harm for no one would suspect a cat wandering about, they would just believe it a stray." Francesca still seemed to pout but accepted the explanation of all they had said. Music started to filter through the speakers, an old Russian waltz.
         "Who's playing that?' Stella wondered curious, for there didn't seem to be any one by the bandstand and the intercom system was off as far as they knew.
         "I think I know." Anna commented as she smiled at Ray and rose from the table. "Will you dance with me, Detective? This was my Mother's favorite waltz I am told." Ray scooted his chair back and stood, not noticing the concerned glare that his ex-wife tossed his way. He took her hand and they moved out onto the dance floor.
         "It's a pretty tune." He commented as he waltzed her smoothly about the room.
         "I agree." She replied shyly. "Do you believe in fate, Ray?"
         "Oh yeah." He chuckled. "More den I should probably. Why?"
         "According to my family's history, every one of my ancestors fell in love and married the person they danced with when this song was playing." Ray raised an eyebrow.
         "Really?" he murmured offering her a soft look. "Isn't that somethin'?" Smiling as he glanced over at Fraser and Francesca who had also started dancing.
         "Do you believe in love at first sight, Ray?" Anna was asking him as his gaze wandered to Stella, who was quietly sipping her drink at the table.
         "Very much." He admitted wistfully. Anna spared the other woman a glance before drawing Ray's attention back to hers, a tempered longing in her eyes.
         "I believe I will retire." She sighed stepping back, though the music continued.   "Perhaps your dance partner will continue with you." Ray frowned.
         "Are you feeling all right?" she nodded and raised up to kiss his cheek affectionately, then headed out as Stella approached her husband.
         "Loose your partner?" she teased and he smiled.
         "Looks like it." He replied and opened his arms for her to step into them, which she did without hesitation. "You were great this week, Stell." She smiled.
         "So were you, Ray." She offered shyly as Ray glanced over at the portrait of Ariana and he could swear the woman was smiling. Shrugging he cuddled the woman he loved closer and continued their dance.
 
 
The End

FEEDBACK